Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at how undecided voters might vote in this general ele

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    surbiton said:

Any ideas what kind of results we can expect in Chingford ? Duncan-Smith's constituency.

About 57/29 Con/Lab.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    ydoethur said:

I wouldn't vote for Kate Hoey.

I wouldn't mind voting for Soubry, Wollaston etc.

In regard to the LDs, I don't mind Clegg, or Norman Lamb. The other MPs beside Farron I can't recall.

Tom Brake, Sarah Olney, Mark Williams, Alistair Carmichael are four of them. Can't remember the other two off-hand.
    After next month you won't need to remember a few of those either.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,477
    BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

First, like Portugal last night.

Now I must go and clean my rabbit's litter tray...

Had to do a double-take there. Thought it said rabbi ... :o
    It took ages to house-train our rabbi.
    Our priest was no better. That's what made me an atheist. And a rabbit owner.
    FPT "Ending the handouts for environmentally destructive farming practices was one of the reasons I voted Leave." - the EU ended them in 2003 when it phased out crop subsidies in favour of the Single Farm Payment which explicitly prioritises preservation of the environment.
    As with so much of the EU, it hasn't worked.
    Which specific destructive farming practice do you object to the EU subsidising?
    Over grazing of upland areas.
    You are badly misinformed over this. Dartmoor where I live is in a very serious crisis of undergrazing: it is scarcely worthwhile to keep any form of stock on it, so no one does, vegetation gets out of control, and the natural paths made by sheep and cattle disappear. I believe the same is true elsewhere - the economics of farming Dartmoor are the economics of farming the Lake district.
    And what is the bad side of letting some land be reoccupied by natcher, wiled animals and plants? possibly animals that on the verge of extinction, or have a limited habitat?

When last I checked, sheep were part of nature. Android sheep never quite caught on.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

FPT "Ending the handouts for environmentally destructive farming practices was one of the reasons I voted Leave." - the EU ended them in 2003 when it phased out crop subsidies in favour of the Single Farm Payment which explicitly prioritises preservation of the environment.
    Which specific destructive farming practice do you object to the EU subsidising?
    You are badly misinformed over this. Dartmoor where I live is in a very serious crisis of undergrazing: it is scarcely worthwhile to keep any form of stock on it, so no one does, vegetation gets out of control, and the natural paths made by sheep and cattle disappear. I believe the same is true elsewhere - the economics of farming Dartmoor are the economics of farming the Lake district.
    And what is the bad side of letting some land be reoccupied by natcher, wiled animals and plants? possibly animals that on the verge of extinction, or have a limited habitat?

Dartmoor is pretty wild whatever you do to it, and domesticated animals have been there so long they are part of the picture. Without them the more invasive vegetation takes hold and crowds out species diversity (i.e. fewer types of natural vegetation and reduction of other species which live on or in what has been crowded out).
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

In regard to the LDs, I don't mind Clegg, or Norman Lamb. The other MPs beside Farron I can't recall.

Tom Brake, Sarah Olney, Mark Williams, Alistair Carmichael are four of them. Can't remember the other two off-hand.
    It will be easier to name all the Labour MPs too.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

It's the true test of the political wonk,

Carmichael - the Orkney and Shetlands chap who leaked and lied
    Brake - London, Leave area
    Williams - Ceredigion
    Pugh - The one I'd forget except he's standing down
    Olney - newby

That gets us to 8, which means there's one person I am forgetting and feel bad for.
    Mulholland - Leeds NW.
    Gracias. Name rings a bell now. I know its not been many years since 'the great disaster', and they have struggled to get any airtime anyway, and probably they are focused on trying to work their own seats (they still aren't safe), but I feel weird that the most prominent one besides, or even over Farron, feels like Clegg, followed by Olney.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

It was only when there were no sheep on the fells due to foot and mouth that wild flowers actually had a chance to grow. Yes, it can go the other way and turn to scrub as you suggest, but that is where the subsidy policy should be aiming - to achieve a sustainable balance.
    Foot and mouth - 2001. Single Farm Payment Scheme - 2003.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

When last I checked, sheep were part of nature. Android sheep never quite caught on.
    Do androids dream of electric sheep?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

I can't imagine blind party loyalty such that not being able to support a candidate of a particular party would be a wrench.

Mind you, it would be a truly exceptional Labour or Conservative candidate who would get my vote this time around.

Luckily, you still get to vote for rabidly homophobic Viktor Orban, beloved president of your spiritual homeland, zero-immigration Hungary,
    Three absurd mistakes in a single sentence. You're deteriorating again.

Since you just said that you would happily vote for the John the Baptist of fascism, he's more your cup of tea anyway.
  • Options
    It looks like Die Linke won't get 5% in North Rhine Westphalia, so the CDU and FDP will have a majority.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    kle4 said:

It's the true test of the political wonk,

Carmichael - the Orkney and Shetlands chap who leaked and lied
    Brake - London, Leave area
    Williams - Ceredigion
    Pugh - The one I'd forget except he's standing down
    Olney - newby

That gets us to 8, which means there's one person I am forgetting and feel bad for.

In a line up I'm sure I could pick out Clegg, Farron, Carmichael, Olney and probably Lamb. The others, no chance.
    I forgot about Olney, which is a bit bad considering she only won her seat fairly recently!

I'd not be able to pick out Brake, Carmichael etc in a line up.

The LDs have had a really unexciting, boring campaign so far. They'd actually be better off having Clegg as their leader again.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

Only if they're made in the Forest of Dean.

Or do you mean 'count' sheep?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

You mean they will all just be referred to as Comrade?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Any ideas what kind of results we can expect in Chingford ? Duncan-Smith's constituency.

About 57/29 Con/Lab.
    Nonsense - more like 67/19. Some of these safe constituencies really will vote massively Tory.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

You mean they will all just be referred to as Comrade?
    That too :smiley:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

It was only when there were no sheep on the fells due to foot and mouth that wild flowers actually had a chance to grow. Yes, it can go the other way and turn to scrub as you suggest, but that is where the subsidy policy should be aiming - to achieve a sustainable balance.
    Foot and mouth - 2001. Single Farm Payment Scheme - 2003.
    Still no wild flowers - 2017.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    FPT

A kindred spirit for the PB Tessophiles.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/863386703003832320

PMILF!!

[blushes]
  • Options

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]
    I posted two really good replies to you. But I won't repeat them here as on mature reflection I really must draw the line at asking somebody about which of the Big Four he favours. There may be children reading after all.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Ishmael_Z said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

Dartmoor is pretty wild whatever you do to it, and domesticated animals have been there so long they are part of the picture. Without them the more invasive vegetation takes hold and crowds out species diversity (i.e. fewer types of natural vegetation and reduction of other species which live on or in what has been crowded out).
    Thanks for the reply, my knolage expads every time I log on to PB!!

But seriously, are you shore you can use this, at best, marginal benefit to support massive subsidy's and unnesasrly high food prises?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

With apologies - we re-watched Bladerunner yesterday so the reference is in my head :)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

There are three Conservative candidates I could not vote for:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Any other personal dislikes that would over-rule personal political preference out there?

Why Claire?

I have always found her very pleasant
    Think she will win Hamstead and Kilburn, the tories have finally realised they need to win over more ethnic minority voters and I don't think many Jewish people will stick with Jeremy Corbyns labour party.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

Spitballing with very little local knowledge which could be crucial:

Farron - some talk of potential challenge, particularly in the event of a blue tide, but probably safe
    Brake - Leave area, but UKIP vote to squeeze. Seems a goner.
    Lamb - Ditto.
    Williams - LDs doing badly in Wales, PC candidate strong local candidate apparently. Probably safe though.
    Carmichael - Very close last time, but historically very safe Liberal, Holyrood result strong for them. Despite liar case probably safe.
    Mulholland - No UKIP, Tory surge(?), Labour doing ok in area (?), maybe three way marginal?
    Pugh (not standing) - UKIP are standing, I'd read on here (I think) that locals were ok in the area, but was very tight last time. Possible loss, probable hold.
    Olney - Depends entirely on how people feel about Zac. They previously voted him in massively when under the Tory brand. Probable loss.
    Clegg - No tory tacticals to save him, depends if area which traditionally was tory/Liberal for 30 years sheds the big lab vote from last time. Probable hold, but still in danger.

So I think they may need 4-5 gains just to stand still.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]
    The Spectator are going way too far here.

The Spectator isn't actually that bad as publication if you pretend that the only journalists that write for them are Cohen, Forsyth, Hardman, and of course Nelson.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

With apologies - we re-watched Bladerunner yesterday so the reference is in my head :)
    I had no idea Blade Runner contained a scene where androids fantasise about sheep!

I have clearly missed a vital part of my education.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

About 57/29 Con/Lab.
    Nonsense - more like 67/19. Some of these safe constituencies really will vote massively Tory.
    I can't see Labour falling that far, in a London seat. It was 47/28 last time.
  • Options
    nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Any other personal dislikes that would over-rule personal political preference out there?

Why Claire?

Think she will win Hamstead and Kilburn, the tories have finally realised they need to win over more ethnic minority voters and I don't think many Jewish people will stick with Jeremy Corbyns labour party.
    I think even Hague tried to win over more ethnic minority voters for the Tories. I LOL'd when I found out he went to Carnival!
  • Options

hts://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/863386703003832320

Well, that's making me regret signing up to them after taking up their price offer to coincide with the election campaign.

• Options

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

I think even Hague tried to win over more ethnic minority voters for the Tories. I LOL'd when I found out he went to Carnival!
    Didn't he look good?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]

The Spectator isn't actually that bad as publication if you pretend that the only journalists that write for them are Cohen, Forsyth, Hardman, and of course Nelson.
    Also: Woman On Top is THE way to break your penis, or snap your frenulum.

AVOID.
    Well that escalated pretty quickly.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    ydoethur said:

About 100 of the PLP!!!!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How do you feel about "swaling"? Serious question. I'm writing a thriller set on Dartmoor and swaling plays a significant role - I also know it is highly controversial....

It's historically part of the deal, and the less stock there is to eat vegetation down the more burning helps to do the same job. It is limited to times of year when birds aren't nesting, and what the objection is to it I don't really understand other than a feeling that you shouldn't set fire to Nature.

Interesting sidelight on how subsidies affect things - some farmers would like to swale more than the National Park will let them - the temptation is to start a fire and blame it on anonymous arsonists - in order to stop that, a serious fire on your land disqualifies you from getting your Single Farm Payment that year *even if there is no evidence you started it*.
  • Options
    OT, but with Labour and the SNP expected to lose some seats, depending on the Tory candidates, I wonder if we'll still have the gayest parliament in the world after June 8th.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/20/does-being-lgbt-hurt-your-chances-of-becoming-an-mp/#.WPke528kuIw.twitter
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

Didn't he look good?
    TBH he looked hilarious.

Then again I thought the same when Corbyn showed up to Carnival as well, and he'd be more popular with the people there.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

I had no idea Blade Runner contained a scene where androids fantasise about sheep!

It's the name of the original Philip K Dick book which was adapted to become the film Blade Runner

If you ever win a pub quiz with that factoid as the tie-breaker then I'll happily take a thank-you beer from it!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    ydoethur said:

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]
    I posted two really good replies to you. But I won't repeat them here as on mature reflection I really must draw the line at asking somebody about which of the Big Four he favours. There may be children reading after all.
    Well, the LNER were the company wot served Ilford :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

Blade Runner is based on PK Dick story "Do androids dream of electric sheep".
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]

I'm a big fan of Alex Massie.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Interesting that the Greens apparently had fewer Ethnic minority candidates standing last time as a percentage of the total than UKIP. The stats for this election should be interesting.

According to UCL's Parliamentary Candidates UK project, of the major parties, the major parties had the following percentages of black and ethnic minority candidates: the Conservatives 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, Labour 9%, UKIP 6%, the Greens 4%.[16] About 17% of the British population as a whole identifies as black or ethnic minority.[16] Neither UKIP nor the Greens selected a black or ethnic minority candidate to stand in a seat viewed as winnable.[16] The Green leader, Natalie Bennett, stated that "I would agree that our percentage of BME candidates is disappointing and it's something we very much want to focus on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_standing_in_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015#Ethnic_background

In defence of the Greens, not many seats could be considered winnable for them in the first place.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

About 100 of the PLP!!!!!
    Come on BJO. I know that the PLP have collectively the spine of a jellyfish and the intellect of a moron, but saying two anonymous Liberal Democrats are worth 100 of them is going a bit far.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OT, but with Labour and the SNP expected to lose some seats, depending on the Tory candidates, I wonder if we'll still have the gayest parliament in the world after June 8th.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/20/does-being-lgbt-hurt-your-chances-of-becoming-an-mp/#.WPke528kuIw.twitter

Probably more so.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

why is Ms Soubry disliked.. because she ousted NPEXMP? or because she is a remainer?

It seems Ms Soubry is to Tories what Kate Hoey is to lefties...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

It's the name of the original Philip K Dick book which was adapted to become the film Blade Runner

If you ever win a pub quiz with that factoid as the tie-breaker then I'll happily take a thank-you beer from it!
    Ah, now I understand. Rather a surreal title. Was the good Mr Dick a Cinderford man?

Thank you to you and @Ishmael_Z for explaining.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]

I'm a big fan of Alex Massie.
    Yeah he's not too bad, although I haven't come across an article of his for the Spectator for a long time now. Doesn't help that they've limited the number of articles you can read on the site now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FPT

PMILF!!

[blushes]
    Well, the LNER were the company wot served Ilford :)
    It's worse than I thought. It's horrible!

I shall get an early night out of sheer disgust :smiley:

Have a good week everyone.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

(comments based on my recollections from reading the story some while ago)

It didn't. Mr Dick's novel is certainly an enigma, and Blade Runner (the film) is a very peripheral interpretation. I think the film is brilliant, but somewhat disconnected from the source.

I presume that the 'sheep' bit is counting sheep, but the story leaves that wide open (and probably the other way).

I may have to re-read it now though to see if I missed something.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    Some of UKIP's seat selections defy all logic. For instance they're contesting Cities of London & Westminster where they polled about 5% last time but not Tamworth where they got almost 20%. They got over 10% there at the local elections a few days ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Interesting that the Greens apparently had fewer Ethnic minority candidates standing last time as a percentage of the total than UKIP. The stats for this election should be interesting.

According to UCL's Parliamentary Candidates UK project, of the major parties, the major parties had the following percentages of black and ethnic minority candidates: the Conservatives 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, Labour 9%, UKIP 6%, the Greens 4%.[16] About 17% of the British population as a whole identifies as black or ethnic minority.[16] Neither UKIP nor the Greens selected a black or ethnic minority candidate to stand in a seat viewed as winnable.[16] The Green leader, Natalie Bennett, stated that "I would agree that our percentage of BME candidates is disappointing and it's something we very much want to focus on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_standing_in_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015#Ethnic_background

In defence of the Greens, not many seats could be considered winnable for them in the first place.

In terms of my own family and friends, I know of more BME voters that care about immigration and are eurosceptic (five) than those that care about the environment (basically one).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

How do you feel about "swaling"? Serious question. I'm writing a thriller set on Dartmoor and swaling plays a significant role - I also know it is highly controversial....

It's historically part of the deal, and the less stock there is to eat vegetation down the more burning helps to do the same job. It is limited to times of year when birds aren't nesting, and what the objection is to it I don't really understand other than a feeling that you shouldn't set fire to Nature.

Interesting sidelight on how subsidies affect things - some farmers would like to swale more than the National Park will let them - the temptation is to start a fire and blame it on anonymous arsonists - in order to stop that, a serious fire on your land disqualifies you from getting your Single Farm Payment that year *even if there is no evidence you started it*.
    From my research, I tend to agree. And I suspect that some of the people who object to swaling might be the VERY same people who applaud, say, ancient Aboriginal practices of burning the land in Outback Australia, as a great example of primal, authentic, man-meets-Nature harmony.
    There's some people you can't win against - if you fell a tree for any reason whatever (including that it is an invasive weed, or diseased, or dangerous) they think you are murdering an entwife.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Labour MPs don't know how many of them will survive.

But then again, who does?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    kle4 said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

Spitballing with very little local knowledge which could be crucial:

Farron - some talk of potential challenge, particularly in the event of a blue tide, but probably safe
    Brake - Leave area, but UKIP vote to squeeze. Seems a goner.
    Lamb - Ditto.
    Williams - LDs doing badly in Wales, PC candidate strong local candidate apparently. Probably safe though.
    Carmichael - Very close last time, but historically very safe Liberal, Holyrood result strong for them. Despite liar case probably safe.
    Mulholland - No UKIP, Tory surge(?), Labour doing ok in area (?), maybe three way marginal?
    Pugh (not standing) - UKIP are standing, I'd read on here (I think) that locals were ok in the area, but was very tight last time. Possible loss, probable hold.
    Olney - Depends entirely on how people feel about Zac. They previously voted him in massively when under the Tory brand. Probable loss.
    Clegg - No tory tacticals to save him, depends if area which traditionally was tory/Liberal for 30 years sheds the big lab vote from last time. Probable hold, but still in danger.

So I think they may need 4-5 gains just to stand still.
    Can you imagine if Carmichael was the only LD standing after the election! Liar-Leader.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    edited May 2017

FF43 said:

I think he made some decent points, particularly on linking Northern Ireland with agreed trade arrangements. He is flat wrong, however, on his suggestion that we will have a comprehensive trade agreement in place by the time we Brexit. There is no allowance in the EU position for one. Which means everything will hang on the "transition arrangements" - really partial and temporary extensions of the status quo, which he didn't mention at all and which make moot everything else he talked about.

I think the EU are keen for transition arrangements to last no longer than 3 years.

The implication is that, thereafter, the new relationship would take effect. Else, we just hard-crash out, just 3 years later than we otherwise would have.

And about two months prior to GE2022.
    Given they are only going to start negotiations on the FTA after Brexit and it takes two or more years for national legislatures to ratify positions agreed by the EU Commission, Council and Parliament, I would say the chances are low that the FTA is sorted before the 3 year extension expires. Which suggests either the EU will have got what it wants from the extension and will cut us off, or more likely, there will be a negotiation on a further extension.

The people on the previous thread here have got this wrong IMO. We're not talking about a single comprehensive deal that wraps everything up. We are talking about a series of phased negotiations that will last a decade or more. These will effectively be to the EU's programme and timeframes. They won't have a great sense of urgency about it, I suspect. It's the opposite of David Davis' claim on Peston's show that the UK will not be pressured to make a hasty agreement. We are the ones that should want this wrapped up as quickly as possibly, while the EU will take their time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

why is Ms Soubry disliked.. because she ousted NPEXMP? or because she is a remainer?

No. Soubry (it's Mrs - she's married, not a lesbian) is a lefty who accidentally pinned a blue rosette on in the dark and then wandered into a Tory selection meeting whilst looking for the village hall fete committee evening. She doesn't have a Conservative bone in her body.

Kate Hoey has some very leftist views. Brexit was Labour Party policy in 1983. And she's unusual but not alone in Labour with her views on field sports.

Hoey is a bit of a maverick but she is in the right party. Soubry has the wrong rosette on.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    AndyJS said:

Some of UKIP's seat selections defy all logic. For instance they're contesting Cities of London & Westminster where they polled about 5% last time but not Tamworth where they got almost 20%. They got over 10% there at the local elections a few days ago.

I would imagine they aren't selecting seats at all, as such. They're probably just sticking up candidates wherever they can find somebody willing to stand (it's possible that it may even be down to whether or not at least some of these candidates can help fund their own deposits - from what little I have heard it seems that the party may be close to broke.)

Ukip is currently circling ever more rapidly around the plughole. If they're still around to contest the next general election after this one, it'll most likely be as one of the niche hard/far right-wing nationalist curiosities, like the BNP and the English Democrats.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

From my research, I tend to agree. And I suspect that some of the people who object to swaling might be the VERY same people who applaud, say, ancient Aboriginal practices of burning the land in Outback Australia, as a great example of primal, authentic, man-meets-Nature harmony.
    There's some people you can't win against - if you fell a tree for any reason whatever (including that it is an invasive weed, or diseased, or dangerous) they think you are murdering an entwife.
    Had people up in arms about destruction of some land designated as ancient woodland as part of a quarry expansion not far from me. Now, the key issue was apparently to do with the soil structure and whether it could meaningfully be replaced once the quarry work was exhausted, as the actual trees in the area were non native trees planted as commercial woodland that had been before and were due to be felled and replanted for further felling in future, but a mass campaign still used images of ancient oak trees and the like when trying to stop it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017

AndyJS said:

I would imagine they aren't selecting seats at all, as such. They're probably just sticking up candidates wherever they can find somebody willing to stand (it's possible that it may even be down to whether or not at least some of these candidates can help fund their own deposits - from what little I have heard it seems that the party may be close to broke.)

Ukip is currently circling ever more rapidly around the plughole. If they're still around to contest the next general election after this one, it'll most likely be as one of the niche hard/far right-wing nationalist curiosities, like the BNP and the English Democrats.
    The problem in Tamworth couldn't have been a shortage of candidates because as I said they had plenty of them for the local elections.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ah, now I understand. Rather a surreal title. Was the good Mr Dick a Cinderford man?

Because there isn't enough trivia in the world - there is a scifi novel called "the Bladerunner" - Ridley Scott bought the rights to the title only (not the story) because he thought it was so cool. I think Scott was right - it trips off the tongue better than the Dick one.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,368
    nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

Are you confusing H&K with Golders Green, Nunu? I shouldn't have thought the number of Jewish votes in the former was exceptionally high. In any case the 'Jewish vote' is always difficult to assess because there are so many strands and contradictions. I certainly wouldn't see it as a kind of bloc vote.

We discussed the betting possibilities in H&K on an earlier thread and there was a general consensus amongst the punters that it should be filed under 'too difficult'. Tulip Siddiq was a 4/1 shot at the time and this was thought to be about right.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

I think that they are skint and rely on candidates to stump up their own deposits. It is making it all a bit haphazard.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Because there isn't enough trivia in the world - there is a scifi novel called "the Bladerunner" - Ridley Scott bought the rights to the title only (not the story) because he thought it was so cool. I think Scott was right - it trips off the tongue better than the Dick one.
    SeanT was discussing perfect book titles a few weeks back, there's a rhythm to them apparently, at least in the bigger selling genres, and it seems notable to me that sci-fi titles are often completely random or metaphorical, and you can get through an entire book with barely a hint why it is called that sometimes.

That said it throws up some interesting ones. Quite an odd little series was titled A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, and featured an organisation called the 'Order of Mystic Mathematicians and Other Seekers of the Ineffable Flame' among others.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    What do people think about this.. has it been discussed yet on this forum?

https://twitter.com/Andy_Beadle/status/863847254720999424
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

SeanT was discussing perfect book titles a few weeks back, there's a rhythm to them apparently, at least in the bigger selling genres, and it seems notable to me that sci-fi titles are often completely random or metaphorical, and you can get through an entire book with barely a hint why it is called that sometimes.

That said it throws up some interesting ones. Quite an odd little series was titled A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, and featured an organisation called the 'Order of Mystic Mathematicians and Other Seekers of the Ineffable Flame' among others.
    I hear Abbott is a member of said order.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

It didn't. Mr Dick's novel is certainly an enigma, and Blade Runner (the film) is a very peripheral interpretation. I think the film is brilliant, but somewhat disconnected from the source.

I presume that the 'sheep' bit is counting sheep, but the story leaves that wide open (and probably the other way).

I may have missed something but isn't it simply a question of what makes one human and can androids have human tendencies. Are they equal or subservient? See also the paper deer in the film.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    timmo said:

Dunno, Brake is in all sorts of trouble no matter how you look at Carshalton though.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Just saw the Marr clip and I don't think it was nearly as bad for Fallon as has been suggested.

His Parliamentary delegation answer was perfectly adequate - people are going to 1,000 times more interested and concerned about Corbyn and the IRA.

Just getting Corbyn and the IRA being discussed on BBC1 is a massive negative for Labour - most people aren't following every detail - just the association is toxic.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    GeoffM said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

MTimT said:

And a fucking hard read it is too.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Just saw the Marr clip and I don't think it was nearly as bad for Fallon as has been suggested.

His Parliamentary delegation answer was perfectly adequate - people are going to 1,000 times more interested and concerned about Corbyn and the IRA.

Just getting Corbyn and the IRA being discussed on BBC1 is a massive negative for Labour - most people aren't following every detail - just the association is toxic.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion -

"The morning sofa discussion was a modest points win for Thornberry, and fair play to her for besting Fallon. But it takes the game onto ground that is utterly lethal for Labour.

I assume this was Fallon's job this morning."
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    timmo said:

MPs do not have to perfectly represent the collective view of their constituents, it is not defying their will to take a different stance on some issues, where this is known (in most cases it would be hard to say with certainty, with Brexit there is much more, though not total, clarity). They will have to take a view if they feel his stances on other issues embody what they would like enough to outweigh that he is taking a stance against most of them here.

He's probably a goner though.

Farron, Williams, Carmichael and (probably) Mulholland and Clegg, may find themselves in a truly elite group - the absolute core of the LD parliamentary party, the few who managed to survive everything thrown at them across 2 elections in 2 years.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

Are you confusing H&K with Golders Green, Nunu? I shouldn't have thought the number of Jewish votes in the former was exceptionally high. In any case the 'Jewish vote' is always difficult to assess because there are so many strands and contradictions. I certainly wouldn't see it as a kind of bloc vote.

We discussed the betting possibilities in H&K on an earlier thread and there was a general consensus amongst the punters that it should be filed under 'too difficult'. Tulip Siddiq was a 4/1 shot at the time and this was thought to be about right.
    You're right, I've just seen the seat is only 6.5% Jewish, thought it was a lot higher than that. Also yes they aren't a block vote.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GeoffM said:

junius said:

Which way do I vote ? For the policies which I support - but promoted by inadequate leaders - or for competent leaders - but promoting policies with which I disagree. Assad may be seen as a 'strong' leader - but I am more than hesitant about his policies. So - should weak leadership - but acceptable (or even desirable) policies win the day ?

Oh come on, Junius. Assad stands for strong and stable government.
    What more could you want?
    Strong and stable sounds great.
    If you want a dictatorship, it is marvellous.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

timmo said:

MPs do not have to perfectly represent the collective view of their constituents, it is not defying their will to take a different stance on some issues, where this is known (in most cases it would be hard to say with certainty, with Brexit there is much more, though not total, clarity). They will have to take a view if they feel his stances on other issues embody what they would like enough to outweigh that he is taking a stance against most of them here.

No its the best for Brjtain decision to support 16 constituencies that i am talking about and what tge link is to
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The problem in Tamworth couldn't have been a shortage of candidates because as I said they had plenty of them for the local elections.
    In that case it's most likely to do with raising a deposit to fight a hopeless seat - the sitting Tory has a five-figure majority - leavened with the fact that he appears to have voted to Leave the EU anyway.

(Leave sentiment is not necessarily decisive - my local Tory voted Remain and Ukip haven't bothered to put up a candidate around here, either.)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    FF43 said:

Given they are only going to start negotiations on the FTA after Brexit and it takes two or more years for national legislatures to ratify positions agreed by the EU Commission, Council and Parliament, I would say the chances are low that the FTA is sorted before the 3 year extension expires. Which suggests either the EU will have got what it wants from the extension and will cut us off, or more likely, there will be a negotiation on a further extension.

The people on the previous thread here have got this wrong IMO. We're not talking about a single comprehensive deal that wraps everything up. We are talking about a series of phased negotiations that will last a decade or more. These will effectively be to the EU's programme and timeframes. They won't have a great sense of urgency about it, I suspect. It's the opposite of David Davis' claim on Peston's show that the UK will not be pressured to make a hasty agreement. We are the ones that should want this wrapped up as quickly as possibly, while the EU will take their time.

The other thing is the money. The main consequence of Brexit for us internationally is a big loss of influence.. Money buys influence. We should get used to paying out in the new setup, and not just to the EU. If we are paying a big chunk of the EU budget so Germany doesn't have to and Poland gets more of the things they like, we become a lot more interesting to them. The EU maintains the fiction that this is money we owe them; we maintain the fiction that we don't owe them anything. Whereas what the EU really wants is a commitment to a fixed sum and we don't want to pay when we don't know what we getting in return. So our negotiations should drive towards the money going out on a recurring basis rather than in single lump sum (to keep our EU partners interested in our needs), as well as buying particular outcomes we would like.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

I would strongly, and I mean strongly, advise against tackling A Requiem for Homo Sapiens if you haven't already - it is months of your life you will not get back. The prequel Neverness is borderline readable, but don't be sucked in.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

I would strongly, and I mean strongly, advise against tackling A Requiem for Homo Sapiens if you haven't already - it is months of your life you will not get back. The prequel Neverness is borderline readable, but don't be sucked in.
    Already read it. I recall mostly enjoying it at the time, in a 'I've never read anything quite so out there as this' kind of way. Shows how conventional a lot of sci-fi stuff actually is (although also why some things are conventional for a reason).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

No. Soubry (it's Mrs - she's married, not a lesbian) is a lefty who accidentally pinned a blue rosette on in the dark and then wandered into a Tory selection meeting whilst looking for the village hall fete committee evening. She doesn't have a Conservative bone in her body.

Kate Hoey has some very leftist views. Brexit was Labour Party policy in 1983. And she's unusual but not alone in Labour with her views on field sports.

Hoey is a bit of a maverick but she is in the right party. Soubry has the wrong rosette on.
    naaaah..
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    LadyBucket

'Yes, I agree. Peston's tweet was extradionary, given David Davis came across as perfectly reasonable and confident. But then Peston is an arch-remainer.

David Davis made the point that the EU slows down considerably during the summer months, therefore, he and his team can get a lot more work done.'

Lots of gullible people, only a couple of years ago Labour were headed for a landslide according to twitter.
  • Options
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

timmo said:

No its the best for Brjtain decision to support 16 constituencies that i am talking about and what tge link is to
    Oh. First I've heard about them. Interesting only 3 sitting LD MPs met their requirements for this first batch, though I suppose more may follow, given this bit 'We have also given preference to candidates at threat from UKIP withdrawal from some parliamentary seats to lend support to other candidates'.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,964
    matt said:

Omnium said:

I may have missed something but isn't it simply a question of what makes one human and can androids have human tendencies. Are they equal or subservient? See also the paper deer in the film.
    The book is set in a post-apocalyptic future where animals are rare (nodded to by Rachel's owl in the movie).

It's considered your civic duty to keep at least one animal, the rarer the better. But because it's so expensive a lot of people keep an android one instead for appearance's sake.

The Deckard of the novel keeps an android sheep and often wonders if the sheep (and therefore his quarry) is alive or not.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

If Soubry is SDP, probably so was Harold Macmillan who presided as housing minister over the building of more council houses than Labour had promised to build. So was Ted Heath when he reorganised the Prices and Incomes Board into two bodies instead of abolishing it. Earlier on, maybe so was Baldwin who created the National Grid in 1926.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

I expect Anna Soubry would have felt quite at home with Harold Macmillan, Ted Heath and Willie Whitelaw. The problem for her is that the Conservative Party has been taken over by right-wing hardliners and neo-Kippers. I think she is only just beginning to realise....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2017
    GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

Soubry was the only Conservative in NUS Exec when I was a student in the late 1970's. As I live in a constituency like Surbiton [ i.e. Labour has close to zero chance of winning ], Soubry alongwith Ken Clarke are the only two Tories who I could consider voting for.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I'm a decided undecided, but I certainly won't vote Labour and not only because of Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/HandofGOD7/status/863653476227854336
  • Options

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

If Soubry is SDP, probably so was Harold Macmillan who presided as housing minister over the building of more council houses than Labour had promised to build. So was Ted Heath when he reorganised the Prices and Incomes Board into two bodies instead of abolishing it. Earlier on, maybe so was Baldwin who created the National Grid in 1926.
    They were, as Nick so correctly pointed out earlier today, a bit like the CDU, i.e. pre-Thatcher Tories [ one nation ? ]
  • Options
    kle4 said:

timmo said:

kle4 said:

timmo said:

Oh. First I've heard about them. Interesting only 3 sitting LD MPs met their requirements for this first batch, though I suppose more may follow, given this bit 'We have also given preference to candidates at threat from UKIP withdrawal from some parliamentary seats to lend support to other candidates'.
    Well UKIP pulled out feom Carshalton but Brake so far has not wanted to even discuss Brexit in his leaflets so it probably suits him for this organisation to do it for him
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,368
    nunu said:

nunu said:

timmo said:

rcs1000 said:

David Tredinnick
    Claire-Louise Leyland
    Zac Goldsmith

Why Claire?

You're right, I've just seen the seat is only 6.5% Jewish, thought it was a lot higher than that. Also yes they aren't a block vote.
    The Kilburn part of the constituency is distinctly non-Jewish. Hampstead is of course more Jewish, but it is more notably very anti-Brexit. Tulip Siddiq would have no chance by all normal reckonings given the current national poll numbers and the state of the Labour Party, but the strength of pro-Remain feeling in London and her own constituency in particular gives her a bit of a squeak nevertheless.

I rate her chances about 20% - so 4/1 is about right.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

GeoffM said:

GIN1138 said:

I expect Anna Soubry would have felt quite at home with Harold Macmillan, Ted Heath and Willie Whitelaw. The problem for her is that the Conservative Party has been taken over by right-wing hardliners and neo-Kippers. I think she is only just beginning to realise....
    Who's calling the Tories (as a party) right wing hardliners? Hardly, my bucko; the blue right wing is a feeble thing and nothing to crow about.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Is he doing anything, Kate Hoey isn't ?
  • Options
    Interesting (to me). It seems although Ken Clarke is the Father of the House, there is one MP who was elected prior to him, although not with uninterrupted service - David Winnick. Majority less than 2000.

Also, given how old some MPs are who are standing, presumably with the intention of a five year term, if Clarke were so bothered seems like he could stand in 2022 as well and it wouldn't be that unusual.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    She's going further than Ed Miliband

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/863856455996366853
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    BigRich said:

FPT:

MTimT said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Following Peter the Punter's rather gallant efforts to try and state the bleeding obvious to Brexit ideologies, I was struck by a Time's piece this week.

Farmers now are realising that Brexit is utterly disastrous...not only will they lose vital subsidies and access to migrant Labour but they will be left completely exposed to the harshness of a market where standards outside the EU are piss poor...I could almost feel sorry for them if it wasn't for the fact that many of them supported Brexit, or like slaughtering wildlife, or both.....

Anyway the moral of the story is that we are dealing with morons who have no capacity for cognitive or intellectual debate such is their blind ideological prejudice....Brexit in a nutshell....

The government aren't going to continue with agricultural subsidies? I find that hard to imagine.
    The Time's piece also indicated that in an austerity dominant environment, it is dawning on farmers that their subsidies might be slightly less important than say the NHS...as said, sating the bleeding obvious...

The good thing for free marketeers is that we will be able to flood our supermarkets with cheap meat from god knows where....
    Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. Looking forward to it.

Oh! And I nearly forgot the bleached chickens from the US.
    If people given a free chose decide to by a good, any good, including bleached chickens, that then demonstrates that is there preferred option, and to stop then buying it is wrong IMO.

You may not like Bleached chickens, I may not like bleached chickens but we do not have the right to stop others buying bleached chickens.
    Consumer preferences are moving quickly in the US (last week I met with senior management of 2 of the top 4 veterinary antibiotic producers and seeing the other 2 at the end of the month)

At Costco, for example, antibiotic free chickens are sold in green wrappers while those that have been medicated are sold in red
  • Options

Not going to be particularly difficult for you to put the cross next to Lucy Powell is it ?
  • Options

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/863856455996366853

How is it an extension if it is guaranteeing rights they already have?
  • Options

What must he be thinking right now?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Already read it. I recall mostly enjoying it at the time, in a 'I've never read anything quite so out there as this' kind of way. Shows how conventional a lot of sci-fi stuff actually is (although also why some things are conventional for a reason).
    What I'm reading and everyone on PB should read is "Sapiens - a brief history of humankind"
    by Yuval Noah Harari. It's brilliant and not at all the usual kind of history book.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not going to be particularly difficult for you to put the cross next to Lucy Powell is it ?
    I vote Blue in Hallam, my 16/1 bet could be a winner.

Oh what a choice for us free market, Thatcherite socially liberal Tories to make.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's the bit about statutory rights for family care and training.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

What must he be thinking right now?
    It seems we have a cross between UKIP and Labour 2015... Blue Labour is not dead!!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    Anecdata sample of one.

Had a conversation with a smallish LL in Bolsover Constituency today. Tory voter deels sufficiently shafted by Osborne and friends (Stamp Duty, business costs taxed as income etc) that he is abstaining this time.
  • Options

RobD said:

It's the bit about statutory rights for family care and training.
    Hm, but it's attached to the first bullet point :p
This discussion has been closed.