Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe I’m reading GE2017 wrongly but this must be the worst be

1235»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Tactically Labour has probably played a blinder with its radical manifesto by making it much more difficult for the Tories to keep the focus on Brexit over the next four weeks. The public will be interested in the issues raised and a Tory response on the lines of 'strong and stable leadership' simply will not wash.

It is perfect for a full onslaught from the conservatives.

The policies would seriously damage the UK as we need a positive pro business government who will defend and promote UK business not hand over the business to the hard left controlled by the union barrons.

I would expect CCHQ to be delighted at the state of labour 4 weeks out of a GE and probably find a campaign advert with Corbyn, as a puppet, being manipulared by Mccluskey -

Salmond in 2015 - Mccluskey in 2017
    I suspect you are being optimistic from a Tory perspective. Trade union leaders are nothing like as well known as back in the 70s and 80s and many people will be very sympathetic - partly based on their own work experiences - to the idea that the pendulum has swung too far to the employer at the expense of ordinary workers. One does not need to be particularly left wing at all to hold such a view.
    Some truth in that but Theresa May will address the worst excesses.

But Mccluskey is something else. Corbyn has handed him control of the party and an 'economic car crash' is guaranteed if they got near being able to implement some of the barmy proposals they have come out with
    You and I know who Len Mcluskey is, but I rather doubt that very many people have heard of him. Trade union leaders have long ceased to have the public exposure we recall from the days of Arthur Scargill, Jack Jones and Hugh Scanlon. How many people today would be able to name the TUC General Secretary? Very different from when George Woodcock , Vic Feather and Len Murray held the post.
    I'd say that Bob Crow was the last well known union leader.
    Pity he is dead, we need someone like that leading the Brexit negotiations. He would suck thier blood!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Elections don't work for us': Shocking footage shows Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell telling supporters to back 'insurrection'... as he accuses Tories of using film to 'push fake news'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4494850/John-McDonnell-told-Labour-followers-bring-Government-down.html

Not principled old men, a Cancer in the labour party.

Well, this isn't surprising. People who don't respect democracy can't be let anywhere near power. No wonder so many Corbynistas cannot tolerate anyone who even marginally disagrees with them. This is where they get it from. And Corbynistas think these people represent 'Old Labour.' As if. A gift to the Tories this story is. Wouldn't be surprised to see their campaign posters advertise this. Also, terrible for British democracy as a whole to have these types of people at the heart of the opposition.
    Probably a good tactic to use such footage, as what's the defence? 'Did you say it?' 'Yes, but' and you get into explanations.

Presumably why the cry just goes up as fake news and to ignore, rather than engage to rebut.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Looking at the odds checker. Interesting to note the Conservatives are favourites in Carshalton and Wellington.

I would have said those odds were the wrong way round myself. I think Brake should just scrape home.

How ?!

I think Brake is a slim chance to hold on. UKIP aren't running in his seat and those votes will head straight to the Tories.
    I suspect UKIP standing down actually helps Brake, as the Conservative can be portrayed as UKIP-lite. That being said, I'd want 3-1 to bet on Brake.
    I think you will get it soon..

• Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Tactically Labour has probably played a blinder with its radical manifesto by making it much more difficult for the Tories to keep the focus on Brexit over the next four weeks. The public will be interested in the issues raised and a Tory response on the lines of 'strong and stable leadership' simply will not wash.

The policies would seriously damage the UK as we need a positive pro business government who will defend and promote UK business not hand over the business to the hard left controlled by the union barrons.

I would expect CCHQ to be delighted at the state of labour 4 weeks out of a GE and probably find a campaign advert with Corbyn, as a puppet, being manipulared by Mccluskey -

I suspect you are being optimistic from a Tory perspective. Trade union leaders are nothing like as well known as back in the 70s and 80s and many people will be very sympathetic - partly based on their own work experiences - to the idea that the pendulum has swung too far to the employer at the expense of ordinary workers. One does not need to be particularly left wing at all to hold such a view.

But Mccluskey is something else. Corbyn has handed him control of the party and an 'economic car crash' is guaranteed if they got near being able to implement some of the barmy proposals they have come out with
    You and I know who Len Mcluskey is, but I rather doubt that very many people have heard of him. Trade union leaders have long ceased to have the public exposure we recall from the days of Arthur Scargill, Jack Jones and Hugh Scanlon. How many people today would be able to name the TUC General Secretary? Very different from when George Woodcock , Vic Feather and Len Murray held the post.
    Pity he is dead, we need someone like that leading the Brexit negotiations. He would suck thier blood!
    I thought we wanted a collegiate approach, was that really Crow's speed? I thought his motto was 'If you fight you won't always win, but if you don't fight you will always lose', that is, pick fights? Obviously I'm not aware of the nitty gritty details of how he conducted negotiations of course.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,451
    HaroldO said:

She attacked Juncker with great effect and I think Corbyn is next
    After all she has let them reveal their true hard left credentials and her own manifesto next week will put her into the spotlight at just the right time a few days before the postal votes.

Fox hunting though is a subject I do agree with her

Didn't she say she was for it or did I misread?
    To be fair she did say a free vote would take place.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Ishmael_Z said:

Prodicus said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think you might find that there is going to be a campaign led by the sun, mail, express, and telegraph that will hold no punches in their condemnation of the hard left move by Corbyn and Mccluskey.
    Mrs May will have ownership of any attack campaign. What will that do to her Mrs Nice Vicar's Daughter image?
    She doesn't seek to project one, that's just an attack line; she has never claimed ownership of a special kind of moral compass.
    Agree. Admirable. But could "oh, not so nice, then" = lost votes?

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited May 2017
    The problem for the progressive alliance is the following:
    - All of these progressive parties, with the exception of the SNP have awful leadership
    - These parties have no idea what their purpose is in a post-2008, post-coalition world with the exception of the SNP and to a degree the LDs (pro EU/anti-Brexit party)

The progressive alliance was thing and actually worked pre-2010, when at least one of the main centre-left parties (generally both Labour and the LDs) had electable leaders, especially in the mid 90s - mid 2000s.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: CCHQ says it "categorically untrue" candidates picked based on Brexit views. But @DanielJHannan failure to make list 4 Aldershot raises ??..
  • Options

HaroldO said:

After all she has let them reveal their true hard left credentials and her own manifesto next week will put her into the spotlight at just the right time a few days before the postal votes.

Just noticed I said I agree with her.

That is wrong as I do not want fox hunting back on the agenda.

Still suffering jet lag by the looks of it
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Interesting to note that Cameron is campaigning explicitly urging people to vote for a large Tory majority to allow May to face down those pursuing an "extreme" Brexit. Is this his own initiative or with the tacit backing of the Prime Minister?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39890248
  • Options
    alex. said:

Interesting to note that Cameron is campaigning explicitly urging people to vote for a large Tory majority to allow May to face down those pursuing an "extreme" Brexit. Is this his own initiative or with the tacit backing of the Prime Minister?

Hopefully someone will ask her directly that. Seems like the kind of line they would not mind being mooted, but as it comes from a former PM who can reasonably be thought to have his own views on the subject, it can be disavowed if it causes a negative reaction.
  • Options

- All of these progressive parties, with the exception of the SNP have awful leadership
    - These parties have no idea what their purpose is in a post-2008, post-coalition world with the exception of the SNP and to a degree the LDs (pro EU/anti-Brexit party)

The progressive alliance was thing and actually worked pre-2010, when at least one of the parties (generally both) had electable leaders, especially in the mid 90s - mid 2000s.

How would you define the progressive alliance as an idea, if I might ask? As I am still struggling with it, you see, given the inclusion of quite extreme parties to potentially defeat moderates, just moderates on the centre-right. Is the idea mostly about social progessiveness, anti-austerity?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Elections don't work for us': Shocking footage shows Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell telling supporters to back 'insurrection'... as he accuses Tories of using film to 'push fake news'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4494850/John-McDonnell-told-Labour-followers-bring-Government-down.html

Well, this isn't surprising. People who don't respect democracy can't be let anywhere near power. No wonder so many Corbynistas cannot tolerate anyone who even marginally disagrees with them. This is where they get it from. And Corbynistas think these people represent 'Old Labour.' As if. A gift to the Tories this story is. Wouldn't be surprised to see their campaign posters advertise this. Also, terrible for British democracy as a whole to have these types of people at the heart of the opposition.
    Probably a good tactic to use such footage, as what's the defence? 'Did you say it?' 'Yes, but' and you get into explanations.

Presumably why the cry just goes up as fake news and to ignore, rather than engage to rebut.
    McDonnell is actually much more terrifying than Corbyn, who is just basically useless. He's what happens when people start to think that an ideology is more important than human beings.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: CCHQ says it "categorically untrue" candidates picked based on Brexit views. But @DanielJHannan failure to make list 4 Aldershot raises ??..

Ah so that's why the Conservatives were 1-14 there. Was wondering that. The voters in Aldershot won't think "Ooh Hannan not on the ballot, best vote for Corbyn's man"...
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Prodicus said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Yothe post.
    I think you might find that there is going to be a campaign led by the sun, mail, express, and telegraph that will hold no punches in their condemnation of the hard left move by Corbyn and Mccluskey.
    Mrs May will have ownership of any attack campaign. What will that do to her Mrs Nice Vicar's Daughter image?
    She doesn't seek to project one, that's just an attack line; she has never claimed ownership of a special kind of moral compass.

She is happy to be known as a bloody difficult woman. That doesn't translate directly to leading an attack campaign, but it suggests a certain harshness, in appropriate circumstances, that people might accept even in such a campaign.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,689

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Prodicus said:

Depends whether she is regarded widely as scoring high on niceness in the first place. To me, she has always come across as someone who was prepared to (horrible Brownism!) make "tough choices" when needed.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

McDonnell is actually much more terrifying than Corbyn, who is just basically useless. He's what happens when people start to think that an ideology is more important than human beings.
    He will also lie and bend to convince people he isn't what he has said on camera and will twist policy to make it sound more appealing. Jezza on the other hand is not only useless idiot he can't deviate from what he believes in even a millimetre.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Con Maj now available at 1.07.

Only £100 but the large amount looking to back at 1.07 earlier has now all gone.

Good poll coming for Lab?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I suspect you are being optimistic from a Tory perspective view.

I thought we wanted a collegiate approach, was that really Crow's speed? I thought his motto was 'If you fight you won't always win, but if you don't fight you will always lose', that is, pick fights? Obviously I'm not aware of the nitty gritty details of how he conducted negotiations of course.
    Just look at the wages and conditions that he got for his members. He walked all over the opposition, then wiped his feet on them.

I love his quote on the power of being in a union:

"Spit on your own and you can't do anything, but if you all spit together you can drown the bastards"

• Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

The progressive alliance was thing and actually worked pre-2010, when at least one of the parties (generally both) had electable leaders, especially in the mid 90s - mid 2000s.

How would you define the progressive alliance as an idea, if I might ask? As I am still struggling with it, you see, given the inclusion of quite extreme parties to potentially defeat moderates, just moderates on the centre-right. Is the idea mostly about social progessiveness, anti-austerity?
    Anti-austerity is very much of a 'now' issue (and tbf will be an issue for the forseeable future), whereas the idea of a progressive alliance goes back some way before 2008 crash - there was a period prior to the coalition and especially during the Charles Kennedy years, during which Labour supporters saw the LDs as their allies.

I'd say the progressive alliance is in the main centres around a common belief in social democracy/liberalism etc. It should avoid including the extreme parties - the most left wing they should go is the Greens really. Social democracy/liberalism is generally the common thread between all of these centre-left parties - Labour, SNP, LDs, Greens etc.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

Cool. I'm not happy about Grammar schools either....although my mother came up through one and she was from a working class background so it feels like ladder removal.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Cool. I'm not happy about Grammar schools either....although my mother came up through one and she was from a working class background so it feels like ladder removal.
    I went to Grammar and was coached for the 11+ by my Mother - this was in 1955.

Today I would support Grammars if access was fairer and lots of disadvantaged children were admitted
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

kle4 said:

He will also lie and bend to convince people he isn't what he has said on camera and will twist policy to make it sound more appealing. Jezza on the other hand is not only useless idiot he can't deviate from what he believes in even a millimetre.
    So McDonnell and Theresa May have something in common perhaps - both being compulsive liars?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    nunu said:

I believe Y0kel predicted this hours ago:

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/862726883611480065

Data Analytics firm connected to the Republicans as I understand it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    alex. said:

May's game plan is to signal Hard Brexit to kill UKIP and get a large Majority then sideline her now totally impotent head bangers and go soft killing Scottish Indy Ref 2 stone dead.

Possibly.
This discussion has been closed.