Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe I’m reading GE2017 wrongly but this must be the worst be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe I’m reading GE2017 wrongly but this must be the worst bet placed so far…

PaddyPower shop in London has taken a bet of £330 at 500/1 that UKIP will win most seats

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    1st
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    2nd - like the person placing that bet!
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Hope it's not their life savings!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    edited May 2017
    Fourth

Not another bet from Mr Wollygog's 15-year old?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited May 2017
    It might as well be a million to one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    We will soon know how few candidates UKIP is fielding. Under 100?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not for Paddy Power it isn't.
  • Options
    EssexmanEssexman Posts: 19
    UKIP are probably not standing in many seats.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    Don't they accept bets (or at least post odds) for fictional people to be pope? Other than that, surely a contender for top 10 worst ever political bets?

I'll say around 200.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Bizarre bet. Just bizarre
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2017
    To be fair UKIP and the Tories are pretty inidistinguishable these days. Perhaps the bettor mixed them up
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Leicester City?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Paddy power publicity stunt?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Hmm I wonder what Mike K is up to these days? Not seen him here for a while....
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    fpt;

Dadge said:

Mike Smithson‏ @MSmithsonPB 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    PaddyPower shop in London has taken a bet of £330 at 500/1 that UKIP will win most seats

Where is MikeL these days?

What is betting shops' policy in these instances? Do they just take the bet, or is there any code of honour that states they warn the punter that it's a losing bet?
    I imagine they take the money and try to keep a straight face.
    The cashier is unlikely to have much of a clue about that bet.

All they'll be thinking is it's a big bet at long odds which has to go through head office and written down very carefully.

The politics trader at head office, however...
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    First! But only after a Labour party inspired redraft.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    If bookies can claim palpable errors, I reckon this punter might also be able to argue that he made a palpable error.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439

I don't understand the rationale of not fielding candidates everywhere - it really does signal the end of the party (and who'll clear up all those ashtrays; at least we know Nigel will walk around downing all the dregs from the glasses.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The thing is, myself and a few others placed the same bet back in 2015.

500-1 was a very good for this bet back then.

Personally my longest bet of this election is Tory Seats 475+ (Con maj 300+) at 100-1.

But with what we now know this bet is beyond awful.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Probably placed by a LibDem who got a bit confused by his leader saying that a vote for the Tories is a vote for UKIP:

http://www.zoeoconnell.co.uk/toryukip-electoral-pact-tim-farron-responds/
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    FPT
    Freggles said:

On topic, is this Labour uniting around Corbyn more, like the Republicans did for Trump?

Or more like Custer's last stand?

[Interesting fact: one of the Native American chiefs at Little Bighorn was actually called Lame White Man, which is surely one of the earliest recorded instances of sledging]
  • Options
    Nutters for Nuttall
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    He must have had a dream about it so be that optimistic about UKIPs chances!
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    He wanted to place £500 but PP would only let him have £330?
  • Options
    DearPB said:

I don't understand the rationale of not fielding candidates everywhere - it really does signal the end of the party
    It does, but it might not even be by choice, exactly - they may have struggled to find candidates, and they might also not have the funds to waste on 500 lost deposits?
  • Options
    The true price for most seats must be around 1-200 or so for the Tories.

500-1 would probably be OK for Labour still.
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    IOS ?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    The only way this bet makes sense is if there's a special, political version of Sale of Century in the works. God, I feel old.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    notme said:

No more NHS Stats till after election apparently

Hugh Pym‏Verified account
    @BBCHughPym

Follow
    More
    Lab's Jon Ashworth: postponement of NHS stats till after polling day "a cover-up" - writing "to insist this data is released as planned"

It's almost there was a thing called 'purdah' and the release of politically sensitive statistics are suspended. But labour know that. They are relying ottn people like you who don't.
    The Today programme was very interesting this morning. Nick Robinson had a curry and political chat with a group of. White working class in Yorkshire. It was fascinating in as much as they were probably not that politically engaged and when asked about the Tory party slogan no-one could name it - Nick Robinson was almost incredulous.

Messages like the above are trying to engage with that group and not people who know about purdah.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Leicester City?

That was at least possible.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Which just goes to show that the more you get into gambling, the more you feel like being the one setting the odds and taking the bets. Too much mug money...

There was a great story of a gambler (I think it was Jimmy The Greek, but I couldn't find a reference to it) who became so famous that people would want to have side bets with him, just so that they could say they'd had a bet with the big man. Towards the end of his life, this was making more money than his gambling...
  • Options

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More
    Lab's Jon Ashworth: postponement of NHS stats till after polling day "a cover-up" - writing "to insist this data is released as planned"

It's almost there was a thing called 'purdah' and the release of politically sensitive statistics are suspended. But labour know that. They are relying ottn people like you who don't.
    The Today programme was very interesting this morning. Nick Robinson had a curry and political chat with a group of. White working class in Yorkshire. It was fascinating in as much as they were probably not that politically engaged and when asked about the Tory party slogan no-one could name it - Nick Robinson was almost incredulous.

Messages like the above are trying to engage with that group and not people who know about purdah.
    All rushing out for postal votes for Corbyn I take it :) ?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Is this the same guy who's 'son' bet on Le Pen?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    It wasn't Diane Abbott was it? You know how good she is with numbers
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The thing is, myself and a few others placed the same bet back in 2015.

500-1 was a very good for this bet back then.

Personally my longest bet of this election is Tory Seats 475+ (Con maj 300+) at 100-1.

But with what we now know this bet is beyond awful.

I think that it is more than five times more likely than the UKIP abet though.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    kle4 said:

DearPB said:

I don't understand the rationale of not fielding candidates everywhere - it really does signal the end of the party
    It does, but it might not even be by choice, exactly - they may have struggled to find candidates, and they might also not have the funds to waste on 500 lost deposits?
    And if they can show that they have pulled or put up candidates tactically, then there is a hope of continuing the narrative that they are in the background, still a player, pulling the strings to make the inevitable landslide happen and ensure a hard Brexit.

It's a theory I suppose...
  • Options
    notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

• Options

Leicester City?

This bet is actually worse than backing Coventry City to win the Premier League by 2025, which is amazing when you think about it.
  • Options
    Purdah eh?

More Islamification of the UK.

Stop Shakira Law now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Not for Paddy Power it isn't.

It's the best bet of the election if you're Paddy Power!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

All rushing out for postal votes for Corbyn I take it :) ?
    I used to live in Yorkshire and I had forgotten how perplexing the locals were! There seems to be a local phrase 'leaving brexit' to mean leaving the EU - it was used by a factory worker questioning the PM and in a pre recorded interview so not linked.

it was difficult to get an idea of the number of people in the group interview, but I would say that Perhaps Corbyn is more popular with some women, but not liked in general.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    I presume it was for this GE, and not the next?

EV of near as damn it -100% for this GE, maybe only -75% for the next GE.
  • Options
    This Labour 'emergency cap' of £1000 per year for energy - it's a gift to billionaires with large estates isn't it?
  • Options
    Really stupid, especially when other bookies are offering better odds.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

is my guess.
  • Options

Purdah eh?

Stop Shakira Law now.

Simple Minds legislation?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    TOPPING said:

is my guess.
    That's a more sensible explanation than someone actually thinking it's a good bet. Another is money laundering.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Purdah eh?

Stop Shakira Law now.

Well the hips don't lie..
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Purdah eh?

Stop Shakira Law now.

Was that a bill Yvette Cooper brought in? HIPs don't lie?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

TOPPING said:

is my guess.
    That's a more sensible explanation than someone actually thinking it's a good bet. Another is money laundering.
    Yeah but laundering money you need to get it out clean the other side, that's just throwing money away. Unless of course incentives were gained by placing it..........
  • Options

They need to get onto Betfair.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Bizarre

The best bet has to be the PBer (Pulp ?) who has 8/1 on Alison McGovern (Lab) in Wirral South. Currently 5/6
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've been doing my best to get the Corbynites onto Betfair.
  • Options
    I missed out on the speculation this morning and last night on the leak. Has it come from Corbyn's side? It is certainly a gift to the Tories as they can get all items costed, and even if things don't go in the manifesto they can call them further commitments. I don't know if Corbyns side released ahead of the meetings to negotiate. I guess we'll get to see how good a negotiator Corbyn is now
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    Omnium said:

This Labour 'emergency cap' of £1000 per year for energy - it's a gift to billionaires with large estates isn't it?

The IFS paper says that the biggest beneficiaries of the Higher Education proposals will be those graduates earning on average more than £100,000/year over their lifetime. I'm sure that's not what Lab had in mind.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited May 2017

Leicester City?

It's possible for the UKIP bet to come in. The result could, theoretically, be something like:

UKIP 200
    Con 180
    Lab 170
    SNP 55
    LD 27
    NI 18

That's not saying it's likely to happen but it is at least possible as long as UKIP stand at least 150 candidates.
  • Options

Leicester City?

It's possible for the UKIP bet to come in. The result could, theoretically, be something like:

UKIP 200
    Con 180
    Lab 170
    SNP 55
    LD 27
    NI 18

That's not saying it's likely to happen but it is at least possible as long as UKIP stand at least 150 candidates.
    Is the window still open for nominations ?

Are UKIP standing 200 :) ?!
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Bizarre

The best bet has to be the PBer (Pulp ?) who has 8/1 on Alison McGovern (Lab) in Wirral South. Currently 5/6

Sadly only for buttons :(
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Jeremy Corbyn

Comical Ali
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Purdah eh?

Stop Shakira Law now.

Was that a bill Yvette Cooper brought in? HIPs don't lie?
    Just to feel smug and superior, I occasionally visit various Britain First, EDL, and UKIP sites to check for stupidity and silly comments.

One of the EDLers called it Shakira law instead of Sharia law, and it has stuck in my head forever.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kle4 said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

Purdah is awesome. "Sorry can't do that... Purdah"
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

I'm not a fan personally, if only because I am endlessly asked 'Can we do this/that during purdah?'
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

I'm a member of UKIP and secretary of my branch.
    There are supposed to be around 55 candidates standing in Greater London alone, nominations closed at 4pm today, one or two might back out I suppose.
    For tactical reasons we are standing aside where the existing MP or a close contender is a confirmed Brexiteer, so for example we're not standing against Kate Hoey in Vauxhall and we are giving the Tories a clear run against the Lib/Dems in the London borough of Sutton.
    I don't know what's going on in the other regions of the country.
  • Options
    GOOD NEWS FOR LABOUR KLAXON!

They are going to have much more room to sit down on the green benches.
    The Tory side however is going to be rampacked
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

Bizarre

Sadly only for buttons :(
    Could turn into a Pumpkin at midnight.
  • Options
    There's some real money buying opportunities at Ladbrokes, Jeremy Hunt offering 5% return in a month.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

I'm not a fan personally, if only because I am endlessly asked 'Can we do this/that during purdah?'
    Are you my communications lead at work!?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Am there what would you like me to do now?
  • Options

I missed out on the speculation this morning and last night on the leak. Has it come from Corbyn's side?

There seems no consensus. I'm of the view it did come from his side. His opponents are gutless, his own people seem to love the plans, and the hoped for news cycle about corrupt Tories didn't emerge, so get it out there to test how it plays.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

Not likely - I am not high enough to be a 'lead' anything, but its surprising who people will ask a question of sometimes, and I feel for those communications guys and gals at such times (except when the questions come from them, naturally).
  • Options
    UKIP running a candidate against Jeremy Hunt.

Probably helps him in all honesty.
  • Options

numbers were never his strong point....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Can you put enough money on Jezza PM after the election to get him back to around 10-1 or so ?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    The BBC have a video online of Corbyn's vehicle running over a cameraman;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-39886810/moment-bbc-cameraman-injured-by-corbyn-car
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Can you put enough money on Jezza PM after the election to get him back to around 10-1 or so ?
    No TMICIPM

I am on Tories LT 399.5 @Evs

what are my chances?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Back Labour most seats, some of that is my money

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics
  • Options
    Surely if it becomes clear that UKIP aren't fielding enough candidates to win a majority, then it's actually impossible for that outcome and the bookie should refund? (But not in this specific case, as the bet was made before nominations closed)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No TMICIPM

I am on Tories LT 399.5 @Evs

what are my chances?
    At a rough guess, around Evens xD
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Surely if it becomes clear that UKIP aren't fielding enough candidates to win a majority, then it's actually impossible for that outcome and the bookie should refund? (But not in this specific case, as the bet was made before nominations closed)

It'll still be mathematically possible even if UKIP run around 80 candidates, providing there are enough independents/NHA/Yorkshire First etc etc.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

kle4 said:

notme said:

@BBCHughPym

Follow
    More

Most people then.

Not likely - I am not high enough to be a 'lead' anything, but its surprising who people will ask a question of sometimes, and I feel for those communications guys and gals at such times (except when the questions come from them, naturally).
    I feel for people in communications and in design because EVERYONE thinks they know best on those topics even though it's quite subjective. Except when they do a rubbish job and I know best.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The BBC have a video online of Corbyn's vehicle running over a cameraman;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-39886810/moment-bbc-cameraman-injured-by-corbyn-car

Laura K there helping out one of her team too.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pulpstar said:

Question, does PP - or any other bookie but for obvious reasons they are the most likely - actually trade on BF as well?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Back Labour most seats, some of that is my money

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics
    No thanks all the same for the offer.

Whats your spread exposure on Tory seats?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Question, does PP - or any other bookie but for obvious reasons they are the most likely - actually trade on BF as well?
    Pass, that's a question for the bookies.
  • Options
    So what I really logged in this evening to learn was the result of the "FirstGate" scandal of this morning. JackW had his beady eye on the goings on and reported them, and scandalously Mr RCS was seemingly questioned as to his honor. TSE, of all people, being an apparent victim!

So, what of "FirstGate"?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Evening all – has the full list of GE2017 candidates been published yet? TA.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They can win four and a half grand on a Labour majority, for only a hundred quid.

Yesterday it was six and a half grand for a hundred quid, three more days of this and they'll have no chance of making money at all!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Presumably when they don't have candidates for most seats that is a confirmed loss.
  • Options
    TSE klaxon
    They are opening a Popworld bar in Leeds.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pass, that's a question for the bookies.
    I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that all UK bookmakers will use Betfair when it suits them. PP and Betfair are now one and the same in case you didn't know.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Presumably when they don't have candidates for most seats that is a confirmed loss.

SNP 59, Lib Dems 100, Con 100, Labour 100, NI 18, Plaid 40, Independents & other odds and sods total 100, UKIP 133.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It'll still be mathematically possible even if UKIP run around 80 candidates, providing there are enough independents/NHA/Yorkshire First etc etc.
    It's mathematically possible if they run 2 candidates, both of them win, other parties win 1 seat tops each and all other seats are won by independents. Arguably if UKIP had 1 MP and the other 649 were independents they'd be the largest 'party'.

I'm just being daft now.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Freggles said:

TSE klaxon

Don't talk to me about sophistication
    I've BEEN to Leeds

No offence :)
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Ex Guido: 'Labour in chaos as its 1970s manifesto leaks.'
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. M, thou art a Loinophobe!

Leeds is a splendid place. Not as nice as York, obviously.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if the York QT audience is as delightfully brutal as the Leeds one was in 2015.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Seems UKIP are standing about 400 candidates.. still don't fancy the 500/1 bet though
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Freggles said:

TSE klaxon

Don't talk to me about sophistication
    I've BEEN to Leeds

No offence :)
    I worked in Leeds for six years.

I much preferred to live over sixty miles away in rural North Yorkshire, when the days I could do a 130 mile round trip to work each day.
This discussion has been closed.