Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories aim to win a landslide by trying to persuade us tha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories aim to win a landslide by trying to persuade us that Corbyn might win

One of the most weird features of this election campaign is that the Conservatives are doing everything they can to try to persuade us that Jeremy Corbyn really is in with a chance of becoming next prime minister.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    First.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    German company Deutsche Bahn runs Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern, Cross Country, Grand Central, Northern Rail and the Tyne and Wear Metro, and 50% of London Overground.

Dutch company Abellio runs Greater Anglia (ie. out to Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex), ScotRail, and 50% of Merseyrail.

Which franchises are "nationalised to France"??
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    As to what happens after the 9th June it's not clear to me. I am amazed thought at just how many of my associates believe it's all about the media - including the BBC - and that if only Corbyn was given a fair chance.....

I have some sympathy with this - not the delusion but the reason why they might accept losing. Many of them genuinely feel cheated. The system is out to stop them and the answer is to fight back rather than compromise with someone Murdoch deems acceptable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

bobajobPB said:

tlg86 said:

bobajobPB said:

There is actually some decent stuff in the Labour manifesto. Renationalising energy and ploughing its surpluses into renewables can certainly be defended. It makes more sense than May's halfway house price cap in many respects. Renationalising rail is wise - franchising doesn't work, indeed many of the best railways in the UK are those in the public sector. There's no way to defend the existing system where - outside London - trains can only be nationalised to foreign governments but not our own.

Which TOCs in the UK are nationalised?
    London Overground
    TFL Rail
    Newcastle Metro

Eurostar and East Coast Main Line were too until the Tories sold them off for no good reason other than batshit crazy ideology - they were both well run in the public sector.

Two further franchises are nationalised to France and Germany...

Interestingly the last politician to permanently nationalise a railway to improve it was that well known Commie Boris "Red Bozza" Johnson, who brought the Abelio Greater Anglia into the Overground (Chingford and Waltham Cross to Liverpool St) because the franchisee was running it into the ground.
    The French and German governments are subsidising our transport networks. How cool is that?
    I think the Italian govt has just bought c2c
    It's amazing. State owned entities in Europe are losing money running our transport. You couldn't make it up. As a country we probably make close to a billion from the largesse of European governments.

And yet some utter fucktards want us to turn the cash away.
    Someone should calculate the amount and stick it on the side of a bus.

Perhaps Corbyn could get the French and German governments to nationalise all our public services on his behalf. They might stand a chance of running them properly too.
  • Options

German company Deutsche Bahn runs Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern, Cross Country, Grand Central, Northern Rail and the Tyne and Wear Metro, and 50% of London Overground.

Dutch company Abellio runs Greater Anglia (ie. out to Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex), ScotRail, and 50% of Merseyrail.

I apologise. It's the Dutch, German and Italian governments who are subsidising our rail fares.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    If Mrs May somehow made Corbyn Prime Minister, she would become one of history's most infamous double agent.

Up there with Judas, Benedict Arnold, Kim Philby, and Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I apologise. It's the Dutch, German and Italian governments who are subsidising our rail fares.
    And why would they want to do that? All they all making losses?
  • Options
    What Mrs May really needs is a few polls with the Tory lead down to single digits.

Or a good old Tory campaign coitus up.

Perhaps she can be recorded off mic calling voters thick, smelly, or bigots.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

It's amazing. State owned entities in Europe are losing money running our transport. You couldn't make it up. As a country we probably make close to a billion from the largesse of European governments.

And yet some utter fucktards want us to turn the cash away.

Isn't it true that European railways aren't significantly cheaper, that when you look at the subsidy they require they are broadly similar in cost for the same types of services?

Fairs are cheaper, but that's because we make the railway user pay, not the taxpayer.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited May 2017

What Mrs May really needs is a few polls with the Tory lead down to single digits.

Maybe her plan to dissolve Parliament permanently and appoint regional governors (especially in Scotland) will be inadvertently revealed?
  • Options
    Does that poster really convey the message it's trying to? Surely painting Corbyn as the latest in a series of potential shocks to the establishment might actually encourage people to vote for him, not turn away. It emphasises that if you want a 'worker's Brexit', you won't get it from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

First.

Cheater. Why is it when I'm first, people accuse me of nefarious tactics, whereas you actually delete comments to be first.
  • Options

Does that poster really convey the message it's trying to? Surely painting Corbyn as the latest in a series of potential shocks to the establishment might actually encourage people to vote for him, not turn away. It emphasises that if you want a 'worker's Brexit', you won't get it from the Conservatives.

Not sure how it emphasises that in particular.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And why would they want to do that? All they all making losses?
    Because the managements are compensated on the basis of revenue and not profit; because they effectively have zero cost of capital; because they see long term 'synergies' from running transport services in multiple countries; because they want to go public with a story about being an international transport company; because they want to distract from the poor performance of their national operations.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Maybe her plan to dissolve Parliament permanently and appoint regional governors (especially in Scotland) will be inadvertently revealed?
    She will reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited May 2017

Sunil, I believe that Deutsche Bahn no longer runs the Tyne and Wear Metro due to poor performance. It's back under the control of Nexus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-35800733
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-39466348
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

First.

Cheater. Why is it when I'm first, people accuse me of nefarious tactics, whereas you actually delete comments to be first.
    I thought I was going mad. Have I really had a post deleted?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

First.

I don't know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,792

As to what happens after the 9th June it's not clear to me. I am amazed thought at just how many of my associates believe it's all about the media - including the BBC - and that if only Corbyn was given a fair chance.....

I have some sympathy with this - not the delusion but the reason why they might accept losing. Many of them genuinely feel cheated. The system is out to stop them and the answer is to fight back rather than compromise with someone Murdoch deems acceptable.

The system out to stop them being...? The voters? I genuinely don't get what system they think is out to get them.

The Tories should stop trying to make a Corbyn win seem more plausible, it feels counter productive. Ok maybe turnout will be a bit depressed in some areas, but battleground areas will work hard to keep it up, and better to harness the once in a generation surge feeling than tell peop,e it's on a knifes edge.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

First.

Me too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, I saw isam's FPT note about c2c being run by Trenitalia since January!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

First.

Don't feel too bad, Smithson Jr has done it to others too :p
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

First.

Me too.
    I could have gone into Vanilla and changed the time stamp on my post, but decided that was too subtle.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

Well I believe I still have the ability to restore deleted comments.

Perhaps that might help explain things to you :lol:
  • Options

If Mrs May somehow made Corbyn Prime Minister, she would become one of history's most infamous double agent.

Up there with Judas, Benedict Arnold, Kim Philby, and Mark Reckless.

On the contrary, Corbyn is ensuring another 5 years of May.

Corbyn = Tory sleeper agent!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

Me too.
    I could have gone into Vanilla and changed the time stamp on my post, but decided that was too subtle.
    Yeah, that's too much fannying about, much easier to delete them.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm given to understand everyone expects that of Tories anyway, they are evil, but it doesn't seem to stop people voting for them. Dead babies didn't sway them in Copeland.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

:lol:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

I think it is much more likely Team Twat will.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Just watched the bit on the Daily Politics about the bung in Richmond. Has this got legs?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I see Team Twat are also going to ban driverless trains...

Are they also going to propose lift attendants are mandatory? Re-introduction of horse and cart as Uber replacement?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone give me the switch model that sees Clegg in trouble ?!

I don't buy it, however I do think Lamb & Brake & Southport are in serious trouble.

It's the LDs under a different leader. I know people generally disagree, but Clegg is a substantial politician. The LD's, just at the moment, don't exist beyond him. Clegg can (and perhaps will) lose his seat because he isn't at the helm. Equally Farron might (just might) lose his seat because Clegg isn't the leader.

Yes yes I get all that but why is Clegg going to uniquely lose a 14,000 majority over the Tories.

I'm not even backing generally against Labour no hopers with that much of a margin.
    Delusion has set in amongst Conservative posters on here . They think they are going to overturn any seat whatever the majority .
    You said the same in 2015 when I said Yeovil was at risk...
    Gotta be right eventually, it's the rule I live by too.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    I think I managed to get a whole thread flushed down the memory hole once by luring someone into the trap of slagging off Farage by attributing a Cameron quote to him
  • Options

Sunil, I believe that Deutsche Bahn no longer runs the Tyne and Wear Metro due to poor performance. It's back under the control of Nexus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-35800733
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-39466348
    Thanks, yes, now I remember seeing all the Metro publicity labelled with "Nexus" when I did it back in March. Naturally, stopped off at Ilford Road :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

I think I managed to get a whole thread flushed down the memory hole once by luring someone into the trap of slagging off Farage by attributing a Cameron quote to him

Probably because you were talking about jobs and someone called Bob in quick succession. :):p
  • Options
    Latest YouGov poll

The poll shows that 44 per cent believe that Britain was right to vote to leave the EU, while 45 per cent think the decision was wrong. This is the third time since the referendum that YouGov has found a majority of people thinking that Britain made a mistake in last year’s vote.
  • Options

Latest YouGov poll

The poll shows that 44 per cent believe that Britain was right to vote to leave the EU, while 45 per cent think the decision was wrong. This is the third time since the referendum that YouGov has found a majority of people thinking that Britain made a mistake in last year’s vote.

Margin of error... :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just watched the bit on the Daily Politics about the bung in Richmond. Has this got legs?

Personal view: no. Why? Because I don't believe it's true. The LDs simply don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Their overdraft is close to maxed out, and they couldn't come up with £250k under any normal circumstances.

Which leads me to two conclusions: one, it was a joke ("man, I'd pay you £250k to stand aside", which both parties knew wasn't actually possible; or two, it never happened.
  • Options
    From the YouGov poll

The poll indicates that two thirds of the public and more than half of Labour voters think the party has no clear policy on Brexit, are not sure or picked the wrong option from a list.

Among Labour voters, 13 per cent think that the party is opposed to Brexit and wants to stay in the EU, 9 per cent think it would have a second referendum, 13 per cent think it does not have a policy and 18 per cent are not sure. The rest correctly say the party wants a trade deal with access to the benefits of the single market.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Personal view: no. Why? Because I don't believe it's true. The LDs simply don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Their overdraft is close to maxed out, and they couldn't come up with £250k under any normal circumstances.

Which leads me to two conclusions: one, it was a joke ("man, I'd pay you £250k to stand aside", which both parties knew wasn't actually possible; or two, it never happened.
    But a LD donor may have that kind of money?
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

That's a possibility, but the biggest LD donor quit the party. Who else would be in a position to lay down that kind of cash?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

That's a possibility, but the biggest LD donor quit the party. Who else would be in a position to lay down that kind of cash?
    Possibly a rich Remainer who wanted Olney to win?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

A rich Remain-er who was personally acquainted with Caroline Lucas, and knew her well enough to offer a bribe?

Again, I just don't buy it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Is it a crime to bribe someone not to stand in an election? Or is it only a crime to accept a bribe (which the Greens are clear about - they refused the money).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

A rich Remain-er who was personally acquainted with Caroline Lucas, and knew her well enough to offer a bribe?

Again, I just don't buy it.
    Maybe it was Zac Goldsmith?
  • Options

Latest YouGov poll

45% is a plurality, not a majority.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

Latest YouGov poll

Given Yougov had Remain 4% ahead on the eve of the EU referendum where Leave won by 4% I would not take Yougov as the oracle of EU thinking and given May is going to win a landslide on a Leave ticket it is all irrelevant anyway
  • Options

Latest YouGov poll

Take out the don't knows and it's a majority.
  • Options

Latest YouGov poll

Margin of error ;)
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Anyone who thought sandals wearers couldn't be corrupt clearly hadn't read about some bloke called Judas.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Latest YouGov poll

Margin of error ;)
    And what an error it was! ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Eurostar
  • Options
    RightChuckRightChuck Posts: 110
    Strange header! Apologies if this has appeared before, but yesterday through my door (I'm in Bristol West) came a leaflet from the Lib Dems in London. I'm too ignorant to know how to get an image of it up, but it says:

"In many parts of the country the Conservatives haven't won in years.
    VOTING CONSERVATIVE RISKS BRITAIN GETTING PRIME MINISTER CORBYN"

(then there is an image of Corbyn outside No.10 giving a thumbs up to the camera, then underneath....

....wait for it....

"BUT THE LIB DEMS CAN STOP LABOUR WINNING"

I laughed for several minutes and chuckled for hours more. Still can't quite believe it's real, but it's right in front of me now. And then this thread. Precious. Very precious.

(Not, I hasten to add, that I think OGH would have know of this particular leaflet)
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Anyone who thought sandals wearers couldn't be corrupt clearly hadn't read about some bloke called Judas.

In contrast to the canonical gospels, which paint Judas as a betrayer who delivered Jesus to the authorities for crucifixion in exchange for money, the Gospel of Judas portrays Judas's actions as done in obedience to instructions given to him by Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Y0kel said:

In contrast to the canonical gospels, which paint Judas as a betrayer who delivered Jesus to the authorities for crucifixion in exchange for money, the Gospel of Judas portrays Judas's actions as done in obedience to instructions given to him by Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas
    still..cash incentive
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

I just met possible the most exciting company I've come across in 20 years. Sadly too late to get in while private, but it's going public next year and I'll fill my boots :smiley:
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

I just met possible the most exciting company I've come across in 20 years. Sadly too late to get in while private, but it's going public next year and I'll fill my boots :smiley:
    I'm sure a negotiator of your calibre can find a way to get a piece of the action before the IPO. :)
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

First.

I'm sure a negotiator of your calibre can find a way to get a piece of the action before the IPO. :)
    I suspect if I asked the CEO would create room for me to take a couple of units.

But it would be inappropriate to ask, as it would be an overlap between my professional and personal activities. I'm comfortable when the personal creates benefits for my professional activities; but it's harder when the professional sphere opens up personal gains*

* Although I may invest personally in a 40% IRR first charge instrument to help a client out :smiley:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Eurostar
    Eurostar is not subject to Franchising.
  • Options

RobD said:

She will reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society?
    Suspect May's first act will be to create a grand army of the Union, to counter the increasing threats from the separatists. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Just reading more of Labour manifesto...they have literally taken every sweetie from the sweetie shop and put it in there...but it will totally screw job creation with rigid rights from day one, no ZHC, none of this self employed stuff, more paternity leave and it being higher paid etc etc etc.

Will the last small business owner please remember to turn the lights off.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017

She already has a number of polls putting Labour on 31%, the same as last time. Confirms Nick Palmer's reports of the Labour vote holding steady.
  • Options
    Twitter you have competition for being the biggest money burning machine....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/05/10/snapchat-posts-huge-loss-maiden-results-disappoint/
  • Options

Strange header! Apologies if this has appeared before, but yesterday through my door (I'm in Bristol West) came a leaflet from the Lib Dems in London. I'm too ignorant to know how to get an image of it up, but it says:

"In many parts of the country the Conservatives haven't won in years.
    VOTING CONSERVATIVE RISKS BRITAIN GETTING PRIME MINISTER CORBYN"

(then there is an image of Corbyn outside No.10 giving a thumbs up to the camera, then underneath....

....wait for it....

"BUT THE LIB DEMS CAN STOP LABOUR WINNING"

I laughed for several minutes and chuckled for hours more. Still can't quite believe it's real, but it's right in front of me now. And then this thread. Precious. Very precious.

(Not, I hasten to add, that I think OGH would have know of this particular leaflet)

Hilarious stuff.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "But if PM Corbyn was such a danger why call the election in the first place?" Mike at the click bait again. Silly question. The election has nothing to do with Corbyn, but to do with insufficiency of the Tory majority.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,702
    Perhaps OGH would be happier with dodgy bar charts and "Only Theresa can beat Corbyn"?
  • Options
    Ruth Davidson has Nicola Sturgeon of a “grubby” attempt to spread “trash” about the UK Government betraying Scotland’s fishermen during Brexit after the First Minister’s claim to have written proof backfired spectacularly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/10/ruth-davidson-accuses-nicola-sturgeon-grubby-spin-brexit-fishing
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    The Deputy AG apparently did not intend his memo to lead to Comey's dismissal, and reportedly threatened to quit when the FBI director was fired:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/rod-rosenstein-james-comey-firing-2017-5?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Morning. So the idiots couldn't even stop their manifesto from being on all the front pages, yet they think we should elect them to run the country?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    Morning all.

The obligatory season of over-analysing campaign bumph is upon us. - Just bin it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sandpit said:

Morning. So the idiots couldn't even stop their manifesto from being on all the front pages, yet they think we should elect them to run the country?

Do you think it was incompetence or smart thinking ? First time I have seen something being done with a plan.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Sandpit said:

The last time I saw anything as mad as that manifesto it was written in menses on the wall of a secure psychiatric facility. It will be a net positive for JC though as all that nationalisation bollocks taps into the same vein of narrow minded reactionary thought that gave us Brexit. It is very much in the spirit of nos jours.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

She already has a number of polls putting Labour on 31%, the same as last time. Confirms Nick Palmer's reports of the Labour vote holding steady.
    I have to admit to being totally surprised that Labour is hitting circa 30% all the time now. They could 32-33 by the end of the campaign.

Actually, apart from Abbott's plane crash, things have gone relatively smoothly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sandpit said:

Only a few papers have it as their front page story – I think they may have got away with it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Only a few papers have it as their front page story – I think they may have got away with it.
    In that case they will be disappointed. They wanted all of them to carry it.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    surbiton said:

I have to admit to being totally surprised that Labour is hitting circa 30% all the time now. They could 32-33 by the end of the campaign.

Me too - it doesn't fit with all the anecdota and voxpops of Labour voters switching to Conservative this time, or the polling in Lab strongholds like the North showing big falls.

Either Labour are stacking up support disproportionately, eg in London, or their switchers are being replaced by previous non-voters (eg the newly energised young), or the polls are wrong.... or the polls are right.

I think the last of these is least likely. But if polls show them ticking up into low 30s, perhaps the leaflets in the thread header will gain some traction. They're designed to counter the local Lab campaigns of "Corbyn won't be pm, so you can risk a vote for as your local MP" which if successful would depress Mrs May's majority.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    There is growing speculation of another unexpected and shocking sacking.

Sources in Bedford have revealed exclusively to JNN that TSE may already have been terminated by OGH after the former Ozzie groupie refused to desist his investigation into the "Thread First" occupied by Smithson Jnr, well known for his avatar links to President Putin.

Mike Smithson was unavailable for comment this morning.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Do you think it was incompetence or smart thinking ? First time I have seen something being done with a plan.
    I usually say that it's better to ascribe these things to incompetence rather than malace - a view that is reinforced every time a spokesperson appears on the radio or TV without understanding their own department's policies or the costs of them.

I hope now for an utter landslide, so the remaining sensibles in Labour can get rid of the 1970s throwbacks and provide a decent opposition - with a route back to power when the government eventually messes up, as of course they all do.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Actually, apart from Abbott's plane crash, things have gone relatively smoothly.
    Surely the big worry for the sensible Labour supporters is that the vote share now holds up? If Corbyn gets 30% he'll have to be dragged from the leader's chair in a wooden box.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Not sure smart thinking involves emailing Guido a copy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

surbiton said:

Me too - it doesn't fit with all the anecdota and voxpops of Labour voters switching to Conservative this time, or the polling in Lab strongholds like the North showing big falls.

Either Labour are stacking up support disproportionately, eg in London, or their switchers are being replaced by previous non-voters (eg the newly energised young), or the polls are wrong.... or the polls are right.

I think the last of these is least likely. But if polls show them ticking up into low 30s, perhaps the leaflets in the thread header will gain some traction. They're designed to counter the local Lab campaigns of "Corbyn won't be pm, so you can risk a vote for as your local MP" which if successful would depress Mrs May's majority.

Labour could easily hit 30% if none of the other centre left parties gain any traction. But, they'll still get hammered if the Conservatives get close to 50%.
  • Options

Toby Young @toadmeister
    To nationalise railways Corbs would have to win next 4 GEs. Last rail franchise comes up for renewal in 2036, by which time he'll be 87.
  • Options

Toby Young @toadmeister
    To nationalise railways Corbs would have to win next 4 GEs. Last rail franchise comes up for renewal in 2036, by which time he'll be 87.

I didn't realize a mere railway franchise could frustrate the will of parliament.

I blame BREXIT ....
  • Options
    Jamie Ross @JamieRoss7
    Coburn still uncertain how many UKIP Scotland candidates there'll be. He's waiting to see "who has managed to fill the forms in correctly".
  • Options
    JackW said:

Toby Young @toadmeister

I didn't realize a mere railway franchise could frustrate the will of parliament.

I blame BREXIT ....
    Isn't the proposal to "nationalise when renewal comes up"? If not, we should be told!
  • Options

JackW said:

Toby Young @toadmeister

I blame BREXIT ....
    Isn't the proposal to "nationalise when renewal comes up"? If not, we should be told!
    It is a DRAFT manifesto ....

Superfluous "R" there me thinks ....
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Or the Conservative Dirty Tricks Department just made it up.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

Labour's policies are generally pretty popular. The problem is the medium rather than the message.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

surbiton said:

The stories of switching are probably inflated by people who see themselves as Labour but flirted with UKIP last time. And the collapse of UKIP has sent some former Labour people back home, balancing off those who are switching directly from Lab to Con. It's too simplistic just to treat every UKIP voter as a potential conservative - many voted ukip precseily because they weren't the Tories.

What is clear from the polls is that the Tories have gone from 36% in 2015 to 46-50% this time, which is a dramatic shift - 50% is surely the ceiling since there will always be a big chunk of the population would would never vote Tory. The non-Tory half of the population has to vote for someone, barring a few abstainers.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Sandpit said:

Labour's policies are generally pretty popular. The problem is the medium rather than the message.
    The problem is that the electorate are not stupid.. or enough of them aren't.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

With sleeper agents in the Green party?

And in fact the offer of the donation was not denied by Lucas on the show yesterday. She said the donation went through their ethics procedure and was rejected. Although I should add that she said this was after the candidate had already stood down.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

It's a non-story, not least because it never happened and wasn't the reason the Greens stood down in the first place. They are standing down in lots of places this time, most recently Southport announced yesterday.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

Sandpit said:

Of course they're popular: free school meals, paternity leave, more NHS etc etc feeds into the entitlement culture, but they're unsustainable.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Latest YouGov poll

I think that such findings have consistently been linked with a smaller Tory lead, down around the 16 level rather than up to 20. Which makes sense if this is a sampling issue.

But I agree with the thread header. Basing this campaign around the threat of Corbyn becoming PM is a mistake because no one believes it is possible. Rather, as May herself has done, the emphasis should be on giving her the strongest possible hand to negotiate Brexit on the country's behalf. Marine Le Pen had a better chance of winning than Corbyn and she had no chance at all.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

It's a non-story, not least because it never happened and wasn't the reason the Greens stood down in the first place. They are standing down in lots of places this time, most recently Southport announced yesterday.
    Lucas said someone did offer £250,000, and that it went through their ethical checks, and was rejected. The Greens didn't do anything wrong here, whoever offered the money did.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Labour HQ is stuffed with people who want to undermine the Corbyn campaign. There was an article in one of the journals about it recently. So the suspect list for the potential leaker won't be a short one.

But Labour's problem isn't it's policies anyway, but the lack of trust that they will be able to manage things well or pay for any of them.
This discussion has been closed.