Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories aim to win a landslide by trying to persuade us tha

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,541
    Corbyn goes AWOL at major poster launch.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Sky News running a 'can Farron lose Westmorland' story

QTWTAIN, surely?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    "Jeremy Corbyn did not attend a Labour poster launch this morning because he is dealing with "internal matters", elections co-ordinator Ian Lavery told reporters at the event.

"Mr Corbyn is doing the preparation for a very important meeting this afternoon.

"He was meant to be here but this thing's happened and Mr Corbyn is dealing with internal matters within the party and he's dealing with preparation work for what is a fantastic manifesto."

BBC live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-39876374

Is the "internal matters" the bit where they leave him in the messroom with a decanter of brandy and a loaded revolver?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    Brom said:

Patrick said:

Brom said:

A lot of the public won't delve into the manifesto. They might pick up a general picture of re-nationalisation which will appeal to some and put off others. What almost everyone will hear about is that the Labour manifesto is 'leaked' and that will play into concerns about security, poor leadership and chaos.

Hmmm.....If this 'leaked' manifesto is not a hoax then it will be torn to pieces over the coming days by every non-lefty news outlet. And the MSM will probably report the outraged reaction it is going to foster. I suspect what the largely non-attentive public will hear is 'Labour are communists'.
    It's often the small things, the weird policies about LGBT smokers, TV diversity and puppy sales that the press can used as attack lines that will be chime with the public. for the Tories I think Corbyn is best ridiculed rather than trying to engage in ideological arguments.
    If it's the small things - because they are easy to understand I guess - then Mrs May would have been better off not mentioning fox hunting.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lmao, Sky quoting Words worth. 'Will Farron be wandering lonely as a cloud' lol
  • Options
    RobD said:

QTWTAIN, surely?
    They think so but report the Tories fancy a dip at it
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

Latest batch of jam not setting properly?
  • Options

I see all the birds have flown
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,374
    The UKIP, SDL, Orange Order, Britain First vote sector is really proving to be fertile ground for at least one party in Scotland.

https://twitter.com/MrMalky/status/862583206968786944

#Kippersinkilts
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    ydoethur said:

Have just been looking at this draft energy policy. The Guardian are claiming that it doesn't mean renationalisation - that instead, the distribution networks will be renationalised and local companies will be set up to compete with private providers.

However, I think their analysis is wrong. It's poorly phrased and the wording is ambiguous, but it states at the start that energy companies will be taken 'back into public ownership.' That means nationalisation. And that is of course conceded by the Grauniad with regard to the networks.

What's incredible, and where the Guardian are getting hung up, is the last clause. Labour say they want 'at least one publicly owned energy company in every region of the UK', talking a lot of rubbish about how this will be 'democratically accountable' (which as anyone with a brain will know is a lie - at that level, such things are negligible political concerns).

They seem to mean - incredibly - that they want separate companies owned by the same people (local councillors, de facto) actually competing with each other. I suppose this is their sop to the market system but it looks to me more like a recipe for chaos, cartels and power cuts.

Anyone still think the detail of this will be popular?

Edit - Guardian analysis here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/11/general-election-2017-labour-leaked-manifesto-politics-live?page=with:block-5913fa77e4b0a8ea08b6d2c3#block-5913fa77e4b0a8ea08b6d2c3

A belated reply, I think they probably want to emulate Sweden, Denmark or Germany where energy isn't in 100% private ownership..

Or the US where 25% of electricity comes from public companies like Los Angeles Water and Power or shock horror, nationalised ones, i.e the Tennesee Valley Authority and Bonneville Power Administration (NW USA).

Thatcher deliberately made it very complex to reverse privatisation, so I think they'd have done better to promise a royal commission or other detailed and expert review of the options before deciding on a way forward.

They could though promise in their first term a reversal of the 2002 retail deregulation which, ahem, Labour introduced. Returning to the regulation we have for water would block some but not all of the rip-offs.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    geoffw said:

@david_herdson

"One under-reported feature of the polls post-2015 is that there has been little Lab-Con direct swing. That has changed in the last few months but it still amounts to only about 3% at best."
    Not so.
    There was recently a couple of published polls with transition proportions from 2015 which distinguished Leavers from Remainers, namely: a poll reported in the Guardian,
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/27/lib-dems-shouldnt-count-on-remain-votes-the-data-looks-bleak
    ... and a YouGov poll,
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i70tdeyvag/InternalResults_170420_Demographics_all_W.pdf
    What these polls show is that that for Labour Remainers 5% in both polls would switch to Con, while for Leavers 17% (Guardian) or 24% (YouGov) would do so.

Which taken together implies a (gross) switch of 11% (Guardian) or 14% (YouGov). Take off 1-2% moving the other way (yes, they do exist), and out of Lab's 30% from GE2015, that amounts to the 3% of voters I quoted in my original post.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The irony of SLAB, the Tories Indyref lapdog, now whinging about the Greens/SNP

https://twitter.com/AlanRoden/status/862320947029831681
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195

He could lose it. But he probably won't. Because:

1. He got over 50% at the last election in the seat, and the LDs vote share has actually risen (albeit marginally) since the last GE.
    2. Party leaders usually get a boost.
    3. The LDs increased their vote share in the wards that make up the constituency last Thursday.
    4. The constituency voted Remain.
    5. UKIP only got 6% last time around, so there's not a lot for the Conservatives to pick up there.

My bet is that Farron will get 45-50% of the vote, with the Conservatives on 35-40%.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

Latest batch of jam not setting properly?
    Man-hole cover collection needs re-cataloguing in alphabetical order by manufacturer...
  • Options
    FWIW, after early canvassing in his far-from-best areas, Kevin Foster is very bullish about holding Torbay.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Chris said:

glw said:

Chris said:

Hmm. You seem to be implying renationalisation must be bad because it's Corbyn's policy, and Corbyn has other policies on trade unions that you think are bad.

That would be OK as an anti-Corbyn argument, but it was just renationalisation per se I was asking about.

But you aren't going to get nationalisation on its own, you will get everything else Corbyn plans as well. Giving a lot more power to intransigent trade unions doesn't sound like a good way of making the railways run better to me.
    None of this is going to happen anyway, because Theresa May is going to be reelected (almost certainly!).

I was just trying to ask a question about people's views of renationalisation of the railways.
    If you are old enough to remember British Rail it is unlikely you'd ask the question. As a nationalised industry it evidently believed its purpose was to provide employment to its staff and passengers were an irritating inconvenience. If you didn't like it tough luck. For those who don't remember pre-privatisation industries (3 months for a phone line, anyone? Then wait in the whole day in the forlorn hope an engineer would actually show up) I can understand the superficial attraction - but look at the responses of people who have actual experience of them.
    It wasn't either great or awful, but anyway everyone has mnoved on (I can cite examples of terrible customer service in the private sector back then, and they're not unknown now). The ultra-efficient Passort Office is a good example of a public service (with a new IT system that was delivered on time) that works well. By and large, you get the same people working in the system either way. Real competition does sometimes help but the franchise system doesn't provide that. And if you don't like a hypothetical state-managed Southern you can vote out the bastards responsible for it. How do you vote out a private quasi-monopoly?
    How do you vote out the RMT?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,073
    I'm sensing a bit of sussuration in the blue ranks since the "leak" of the What Is To Be Done manifesto.
  • Options
    RobD said:

QTWTAIN, surely?
    Unless Kendal has become the new gay capital of Europe....
  • Options

FWIW, after early canvassing in his far-from-best areas, Kevin Foster is very bullish about holding Torbay.

I'd be staggered if the LDs ran the Conservatives close in any of the seats in the West country (except perhaps St Ives, and even there I'd expect a 7-8% lead).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,186
    edited May 2017

geoffw said:

@david_herdson

"One under-reported feature of the polls post-2015 is that there has been little Lab-Con direct swing. That has changed in the last few months but it still amounts to only about 3% at best."
    Not so.
    There was recently a couple of published polls with transition proportions from 2015 which distinguished Leavers from Remainers, namely: a poll reported in the Guardian,
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/27/lib-dems-shouldnt-count-on-remain-votes-the-data-looks-bleak
    ... and a YouGov poll,
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i70tdeyvag/InternalResults_170420_Demographics_all_W.pdf
    What these polls show is that that for Labour Remainers 5% in both polls would switch to Con, while for Leavers 17% (Guardian) or 24% (YouGov) would do so.
    Which taken together implies a (gross) switch of 11% (Guardian) or 14% (YouGov). Take off 1-2% moving the other way (yes, they do exist), and out of Lab's 30% from GE2015, that amounts to the 3% of voters I quoted in my original post.

Fair enough. I read your comment as saying that only 3% gross of Labour voters would switch, not 3% net of all voters.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,437
    I'm a Southern season ticket holder. I think nationalisation is a terrible idea.

And because I'm a Southern season ticket holder I also think abolishing the Trades Union Act is a terrible idea.

But TFL is effectively a national owned train company, that seems to do quite well, actually I would love that sort of set up to organise transport around the UK rather than the current mix of profit takers.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Have to admit, it's not a bad idea:

Squads of arse-kickers are to be deployed to ensure the under-25s bother to vote in the general election...

“No, there isn’t an app for it. No, you can’t tap your vote on a screen while keeping half an eye on The Jeremy Kyle show.

“You have to do walk 800 yards to a school and operate a small pencil, the way your bigoted grandparents do.”

Meanwhile, any young person who uses the phrase, ‘whoever you vote for, the government always gets in’, will get a double arse-kicking.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/young-people-to-have-arses-kicked-all-the-way-to-polling-stations-20170511127453
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'd be staggered if the LDs ran the Conservatives close in any of the seats in the West country (except perhaps St Ives, and even there I'd expect a 7-8% lead).
    That also backs up what he said about the bigger regional picture.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, the area does not appear to be regretting turning from the LDs yet, at least not as much as people turning toward the Tories.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    rachel younger‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @rachyoungeritv

Tom Watson arrives at Labour's Clause V meeting and tells us "Its not a great day for the Labour Party"

Trouble at tha mill.
  • Options

Tom Watson arrives at Labour's Clause V meeting and tells us "Its not a great day for the Labour Party"

Trouble at tha mill.

What a grumpy gus. Labour's doing fine, Tom, I heard the leader say so. Closing the gap on the Tories, people want a change and all that.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    I am dismayed that people on here (RobD I mean you) appear to be falling for this nonsense about the Lib Dem supposedly offering the Greens £250K to stand down. Either you are letting your own party affiliations blind you to the obvious or you are being deliberately provocative or you are not very bright.

No-one in the Lib Dems would do that. But for those of you who think something being ethically wrong is not enough to stop a political party doing it, you might also like to consider that the Lib Dems do not have £250K to give the Greens or anyone else. We really don't.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

What a grumpy gus. Labour's doing fine, Tom, I heard the leader say so. Closing the gap on the Tories, people want a change and all that.
    ""Jeremy Corbyn did not attend a Labour poster launch this morning because he is dealing with "internal matters", elections co-ordinator Ian Lavery told reporters at the event."

"internal matters" sounds really ominous to me. Kangaroo court for whoever leaked the manifesto?
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

This Labour manifesto. Bloody hell. Is it real? If it is the polls will move over the next few days. Makes the longest suicide note look positively sensible. Telegraph absolutely monstering it today.

Who reads the fucking Telegraph ?
    I do.. The paper edition twice a week and online for free..

I also read the Grauniad, The D Mail, Th Mirros and the Sub.. the latter take 2 minutes each each. All on line.

The Telegraph has lots of faults. So do the rest.

I suspect you're a typical Left winger who cannot stand reading opinions that conflict with your beliefs... :-)
    And on what basis do you suppose that a typical left winger can't stand reading opinions that conflict with their beliefs?
    I thought that Sotham's quote "Who reads the fucking Telegraph" did.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,679

Sky News are so behind the times.

Four days ago, one of the finest minds in politics wrote a perceptive article on that very subject.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,481
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

""Jeremy Corbyn did not attend a Labour poster launch this morning because he is dealing with "internal matters", elections co-ordinator Ian Lavery told reporters at the event."

"internal matters" sounds really ominous to me. Kangaroo court for whoever leaked the manifesto?
    I misread it first as "infernal matters".
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Is it me, or is Corbyn's power over the labour party growing?

I'm less and less sure that, regardless of what happens in the GE he's going to be ditched.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    rcs1000 said:

The local elections show that the Lib Dems are a serious threat to the Conservatives in North Cornwall not St Ives .
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

Corbyn does not do Kangaroo Courts.

He does do Manifestos that mean.

For 95% of UK citizens, their life is improved

For the 5% their life is unaltered, but should feel "enriched" to help UK progress
  • Options

I'm less and less sure that, regardless of what happens in the GE he's going to be ditched.

Not sure, but the man loves campaigning, and has personally seemed less ruffled and more confident in recent weeks, which probably helps when surrounded by headless chickens.
  • Options

Sky News are so behind the times.

Four days ago, one of the finest minds in politics wrote a perceptive article on that very subject.
    They said they had been inspired by a god amongst men to investigate
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

I'm a Southern season ticket holder. I think nationalisation is a terrible idea.

And because I'm a Southern season ticket holder I also think abolishing the Trades Union Act is a terrible idea.

But TFL is effectively a national owned train company, that seems to do quite well, actually I would love that sort of set up to organise transport around the UK rather than the current mix of profit takers.....

Indeed at least Londoners have one arse to kick under a transparent public brand. It's not clear to me why nationalisation is fine in London, and outside London to foreign governments, but not outside London to our own government. It is similarly odd that bus regulation is fine and dandy in London but not outside London. Funny old world.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    labour are so screwed
  • Options
    Josias

Yes, fair points and I think you and I have had this discussion before (not that that ever stopped PBers!). I guess I'm just glad Labour has put nationalisation as an option back up for debate. The existing settlement - franchising or nothing (outside London) - is patently absurd.
  • Options

He has taken advantage of the party's inability to wield the knife to consolidate. I wonder if he's not, in fact, planning to split out the moderates on his terms and keep the Labour name for a hard left movement
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    rcs1000 said:

1. He got over 50% at the last election in the seat, and the LDs vote share has actually risen (albeit marginally) since the last GE.
    3. The LDs increased their vote share in the wards that make up the constituency last Thursday.
    5. UKIP only got 6% last time around, so there's not a lot for the Conservatives to pick up there.

My bet is that Farron will get 45-50% of the vote, with the Conservatives on 35-40%.
    LibDem sign boards abound in Westmorland like a host of golden daffodils.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,679
    A potential Lib Dem gain?

SNP Members Have Made An Official Complaint About Their Local SNP MP

Local members told BuzzFeed News that Paul Monaghan is "not a liked man" and think he may have broken parliamentary rules.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/snp-members-have-made-an-official-complaint-about-their?utm_term=.oe8XRnwZD9#.ngLAEjB92q
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

For the 5% their life is unaltered, but should feel "enriched" to help UK progress
    Under Corbyn, about 95% would have their lives made worse.
  • Options

He has taken advantage of the party's inability to wield the knife to consolidate. I wonder if he's not, in fact, planning to split out the moderates on his terms and keep the Labour name for a hard left movement
    You say that. My theory is he is being made to walk the plank this morning, and he leaked the manifesto in a last ditch attempt to ensure the election is fought on his terms.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The local elections show that the Lib Dems are a serious threat to the Conservatives in North Cornwall not St Ives .
    Dan Rogerson was 14 points behind his Conservative opponent in 2015, and there's a big UKIP vote to squeeze.

I'd save your money.

St Ives, on the other hand, has only a small majority, and there's a decent sized Labour vote for the LDs to (potentially) squeeze. Don't get me wrong, I think the Conservatives will hold St Ives. But I think the LDs will keep their lead to single digits.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

This Labour manifesto. Bloody hell. Is it real? If it is the polls will move over the next few days. Makes the longest suicide note look positively sensible. Telegraph absolutely monstering it today.

Who reads the fucking Telegraph ?
    I do.. The paper edition twice a week and online for free..

I also read the Grauniad, The D Mail, Th Mirros and the Sub.. the latter take 2 minutes each each. All on line.

The Telegraph has lots of faults. So do the rest.

I suspect you're a typical Left winger who cannot stand reading opinions that conflict with your beliefs... :-)
    And on what basis do you suppose that a typical left winger can't stand reading opinions that conflict with their beliefs?
    I thought that Sotham's quote "Who reads the fucking Telegraph" did.
    Ascribing the quote to the wrong poster (& misspelling their name to boot) might slightly devalue your forensic point about typical left wingers.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Indeed at least Londoners have one arse to kick under a transparent public brand. It's not clear to me why nationalisation is fine in London, and outside London to foreign governments, but not outside London to our own government. It is similarly odd that bus regulation is fine and dandy in London but not outside London. Funny old world.

The tube is hardly a great advert for the wonders of nationalisation. Always on strike and expensive.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 422

Nice post from someone on the sharp end.

The old privatisation v nationalisation argument is a false binary. The key point is: how do you get management to act in the public interest (getting the trains to run reliably, how to invest to improve the service, how to strengthen the role of public transport over time). TFL is a great example of an organisation that appears to be doing very well, because its structure is very effective at acting in the public interest.

Neither public or private gets you the public interest by default. Unless competition acts to keep prices down (and in Southern's case, competition is entirely missing) then you need some sort of government intervention. Simples.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

You say that. My theory is he is being made to walk the plank this morning, and he leaked the manifesto in a last ditch attempt to ensure the election is fought on his terms.
    That would be am even more bizarre election suicide than only standing in 3 of 59 seats!
  • Options

Brom said:

Patrick said:

Brom said:

A lot of the public won't delve into the manifesto. They might pick up a general picture of re-nationalisation which will appeal to some and put off others. What almost everyone will hear about is that the Labour manifesto is 'leaked' and that will play into concerns about security, poor leadership and chaos.

Hmmm.....If this 'leaked' manifesto is not a hoax then it will be torn to pieces over the coming days by every non-lefty news outlet. And the MSM will probably report the outraged reaction it is going to foster. I suspect what the largely non-attentive public will hear is 'Labour are communists'.
    It's often the small things, the weird policies about LGBT smokers, TV diversity and puppy sales that the press can used as attack lines that will be chime with the public. for the Tories I think Corbyn is best ridiculed rather than trying to engage in ideological arguments.
    If it's the small things - because they are easy to understand I guess - then Mrs May would have been better off not mentioning fox hunting.
    She answered a direct question.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Also in Marxist manifesto....Driverless trains will be banned.

Luddites protecting the unions not the people. If they are willing to do it for trains, things like uber have to be worried. Although given the crazy labour reforms I doubt uber would be able to operate in the Venezuelan utopia jezza wants.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

rcs1000 said:

Mark

Do you think there will be no Brexit effect in the GE. Looks like the area voted 60% leave and a 6000 ukip vote to squeeze - are there any local factors that I'm missing?
  • Options

Local members told BuzzFeed News that Paul Monaghan is "not a liked man" and think he may have broken parliamentary rules.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/snp-members-have-made-an-official-complaint-about-their?utm_term=.oe8XRnwZD9#.ngLAEjB92q

The LibDems actually increased their vote in CS&ER in 2015, but still lost it to an SNP surge. They also improved their vote share in the Holyrood elections, while the SNP slipped back.

I don't know if there will be enough unionist tactical voting to hand it to the LDs. But it's possible. I'd probably want 2-1 rather than the evens currently on offer.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

So the manifesto isn't going to be as leaked then? Intriguing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

(2) Voters aren't universally impressed by the strength and stability offered by TMT.

How many PMs in the last 25 years have had better ratings?
    A question to be taken seriously, so poked around the IPSOS Mori archive as they have been asking essentially the same satisfaction question since the 1970's. Theresa May's ratings are good, but not unusually good. For example only 4% higher satisfaction than Cameron at the same point in his premiership.
    Short answer "none".
  • Options

Hmm. Not a bad LD drop last time, but no John Thurso, not a huge majority but not a huge amount of SLAB or SCON to squeeze, rose in share but did not gain a Holyrood seat covering part of the area.

Seems like with a good LD candidate and a less good SNP candidate they'd be in with a shout at least, although people continue to elect not liked MPs all the time.

Also, from this part of the story

One member, who wished to remain anonymous but provided BuzzFeed News with evidence of her membership of the Sutherland branch,

Identifying the source's gender seems an unnecessary way to make it easier to figure out who taddled.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dan Rogerson was 14 points behind his Conservative opponent in 2015, and there's a big UKIP vote to squeeze.

I'd save your money.

St Ives, on the other hand, has only a small majority, and there's a decent sized Labour vote for the LDs to (potentially) squeeze. Don't get me wrong, I think the Conservatives will hold St Ives. But I think the LDs will keep their lead to single digits.
    North Cornwall local elections LDems 51% Con 34.5% UKIP 0.2% yes zero . 2 % Squeezing the UKIP vote to nothing did not help the Conservatives .
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Sean_F said:

All the talk about the nice things spending will buy is irrelevant. The kind of Britain Labour wants is one where private business will be much diminished, we are likely to see a brain drain, and tax receipts will be miserable whilst spending soars. The idea that 95% will be no worse off, even if only in tax terms, is laughable.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

That's the end of the DLR then.
  • Options

Luddites protecting the unions not the people. If they are willing to do it for trains, things like uber have to be worried.

Workers are people.

Tories protecting the Southern Rail bosses bonuses and allowing a system that Southern profits more when no trains run is your Torycrazynomic alternative.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mark

Do you think there will be no Brexit effect in the GE. Looks like the area voted 60% leave and a 6000 ukip vote to squeeze - are there any local factors that I'm missing?
    The UKIP vote was squeezed to 0.2% last week , it did not go Conservative .
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,437
    anyone who has to travel cross country on a Sunday, relying on public transport to get to/from the station needs to have a long hard think about the transport system and their vote
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

How?
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 422

Luddites protecting the unions not the people. If they are willing to do it for trains, things like uber have to be worried. Although given the crazy labour reforms I doubt uber would be able to operate in the Venezuelan utopia jezza wants.

"Venezuelan Utopia". Love it!

Get Lynton on the phone: "Drop 'coalition of chaos' Mr Crosby, we've got the doozy!"

I can see a Youtube video set to a Harry Belafonte track even as I type...
  • Options

Amazing how 'one member, who wished to remain anonymous' becomes 'SNP Members'.

I thought it was only the SCons who did member inflation?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    There is some confusion here about Southern Rail.

First: it is not a franchise, it is structured as a concession similar to London Overground or TFL Rail. All ticket income goes direct to DfT. Does this suggest that its problems arise due to poor DfT management compared with TfL?

Second: Southern Rail is only one part of a wider concession: Govia Thameslink Rail which covers the Thameslink services and the Great Northern services out of Kings Cross as well as the Gatwick Express. These services have suffered less than Southern, perhaps because the unions have not been striking in these services?

Thirdly: The London Overground concession is held by Arriva (i.e. A sub of Deutsche Bahn) and TfL Rail concession is held by MTR (owned by Hong Kong state railway). Both are not nationalised, it is a branding issue.

Fourthly: GTR is a very big concession, around 20% of all rain journeys in GB are made on GTR trains. It is probably too big. In comparison the whole Netherlands railway carries only about one third more passengers than GTR alone. This suggests that on refranchising it would be split up.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,002

rcs1000 said:

Are the Tories even targeting W&L? Surely Cumbria Tories should be concentrating on Workington?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

I'd agree with this. St Ives is very much middle class artsy, however there are still 5000 ukip votes for the Tories to squeeze and there are 25000 leave voters to target well above the 18000 received by the Tory at the last election
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Are the Tories even targeting W&L? Surely Cumbria Tories should be concentrating on Workington?
    Total guess, but I would think a lot of talk of winning Westmoreland, and similar seats, is more in the hope that a Tory surge sweeps all before it rather than committing a great many resources to such an area.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Luddites protecting the unions not the people. If they are willing to do it for trains, things like uber have to be worried.

Workers are people.
    Not once Empress May passes her reforms they won't be. 'People' vote Tory, and soon that will be law.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

North Cornwall local elections LDems 51% Con 34.5% UKIP 0.2% yes zero . 2 % Squeezing the UKIP vote to nothing did not help the Conservatives .
    Are we to presume that bin collection elections and a General Election are the same thing now?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

Are we to presume that bin collection elections and a General Election are the same thing now?
    Yes. Even though we were also told the LDs would make gains all across Cornwall, and they went backwards. But this time it is correct.
  • Options
    I Presume jezza is waiting until his second term before he bans all robots in factories.
  • Options
    Chestnut - how many days in the past five years has the "always on strike" tube been on strike?

• Options
    edited May 2017

I Presume jezza is waiting until his second term before he bans all robots in factories.

I'd have thought he'd be in favour of working robots - they could be programmed to reliably vote Labour, whereas distressingly too many of the working classes persist in not doing so.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

I'd agree with this. St Ives is very much middle class artsy, however there are still 5000 ukip votes for the Tories to squeeze and there are 25000 leave voters to target well above the 18000 received by the Tory at the last election
    St Ives also includes the ultra-Remainy (albeit small) Scilly Isles. As I said, I think the Conservatives will hold St Ives reasonably comfortably this time around. But it would also be the seat I'd expect to drop first when the tide goes in the other direction.
  • Options

Tory alternative?

Elect a robot for PM?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mark

The UKIP vote was squeezed to 0.2% last week , it did not go Conservative .
    That is interesting but I still think that the way TM has framd the election is to push these voters into supporting the conservatives in the election. Whilst locals can be an indication, I am wary about firm expectations from those results. If you look at Wales GE polling before and after locals both strongly point to conservative support that didn't show in the locals, but then we know turnout is much lower in locals, so perhaps the die hards are not turning but the GE voters will.
  • Options

Nice post from someone on the sharp end.

The old privatisation v nationalisation argument is a false binary. The key point is: how do you get management to act in the public interest (getting the trains to run reliably, how to invest to improve the service, how to strengthen the role of public transport over time). TFL is a great example of an organisation that appears to be doing very well, because its structure is very effective at acting in the public interest.

Neither public or private gets you the public interest by default. Unless competition acts to keep prices down (and in Southern's case, competition is entirely missing) then you need some sort of government intervention. Simples.

That is true. A private monopoly tends to exhibit all the same unsavoury features as a public one, except that in a private monopoly, prices will generally be higher as there's little to no democratic pressure to keep them down, top pay will be higher and the service will be slightly better (though not by much and only because the public variant will have less cash in general).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835
    calum said:

The irony of SLAB, the Tories Indyref lapdog, now whinging about the Greens/SNP

https://twitter.com/AlanRoden/status/862320947029831681

How many seats are SLAB not standing in to improve the Tories chances?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

Yes. Even though we were also told the LDs would make gains all across Cornwall, and they went backwards. But this time it is correct.
    The Lib Dems did make gains in Cornwall and did not go backwards .
  • Options
    chestnut said:

bobajobPB said:

The tube is hardly a great advert for the wonders of nationalisation. Always on strike and expensive.
    At least it's now very clean and very safe.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    Any sign of a Mori or ComRes poll in the near future?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

All the talk about the nice things spending will buy is irrelevant. The kind of Britain Labour wants is one where private business will be much diminished, we are likely to see a brain drain, and tax receipts will be miserable whilst spending soars. The idea that 95% will be no worse off, even if only in tax terms, is laughable.

Sounds like Brexit to me. Except for the spending.

• Options
    Voter registration soars to 90% among students with 55% backing Labour
  • Options

Tory alternative?

Elect a robot for PM?
    Do you seriously think banning Driverless trains is a good policy? Having somebody "drive" the DLR just because the law demands when there is no need. The reality is the whole tube should be Driverless like a like of modern metro systems around the world.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Chestnut - how many days in the past five years has the "always on strike" tube been on strike?

LOL
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

'single digits'?
    If the majority is under 10 I'm sure there'll be a some recounts ;-)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

Local elections are not general elections, and by-elections are not scheduled elections. That's not to say that the Lib Dems won't win but similar things were said about Eastleigh (?) before the last GE and Con still gained it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

How?
    Try massive increases in inflation, interest rates, hugely diminished business investment and employment growth. Britain would go from being an attractive place to invest to being the sick man of Europe again.

If you're going to produce a manifesto that promises to spend hundred of billions of pounds we do not have, someone will have to pay for it, and that is, in the end, the vast majority of the public.

Even by the far left's standards, this manifesto is utterly bonkers. The Tories should call it - 'A Blueprint for Chaos'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

St Ives also includes the ultra-Remainy (albeit small) Scilly Isles. As I said, I think the Conservatives will hold St Ives reasonably comfortably this time around. But it would also be the seat I'd expect to drop first when the tide goes in the other direction.
    North Cornwall has always been the seat in Cornwall to drop first when the Conservative tide goes out . St Ives is the 2nd .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Voter registration soars to 90% among students with 55% backing Labour

Should hold Sheffield Central, Bristol West and Cardiff Central. Combined with the blukip tide in provincial England the outlook for the Lib Dems looks somewhat err "challenging"
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Trouble at tha mill.

I do not know whether this is blind-eye wishful thinking, trolling or just a really bad poem.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Amazing how 'one member, who wished to remain anonymous' becomes 'SNP Members'.

I thought it was only the SCons who did member inflation?
    Good old Highlands name Monaghan.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/29/mps-continue-hire-relatives-as-staff
  • Options
    Jack Blanchard, former political editor at the Mirror, tells BBC 5 Live: “It wasn’t an accident. It was passed by a source.”

Asked about who might have leaked it he wouldn't specify but did say “a few dozen people in the party had copies this week”.

He wouldn't comment on the motivation behind it as "that might give away where I got it from”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-39876374
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

Well, how partial is that information Mark?

Cornwall

2013: LD 36 councillors
    2017 LD 37 councillors plus one

2013: Tories 31 councillors
    2017: Tories 46 councillors plus fifteen

LibDems - Winning Here!!!*

(*Just nowhere near as well as the Tories though)

• Options
    kle4 said:

Hmm. Not a bad LD drop last time, but no John Thurso, not a huge majority but not a huge amount of SLAB or SCON to squeeze, rose in share but did not gain a Holyrood seat covering part of the area.

Seems like with a good LD candidate and a less good SNP candidate they'd be in with a shout at least, although people continue to elect not liked MPs all the time.

Also, from this part of the story

One member, who wished to remain anonymous but provided BuzzFeed News with evidence of her membership of the Sutherland branch,

Identifying the source's gender seems an unnecessary way to make it easier to figure out who taddled.
    Part of the dynamic in Scotland is that Eurosceptic independence supporters are abandoning the SNP for the Tories. If the local Lib Dems are successful in persuading Unionist voters to stick with them in the Highlands rather than defect to the Conservatives then they'll take Caithness, while Ross, Skye & Lochaber and Argyll & Bute will be very marginal. It all depends on how well the LD squeeze message goes down.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Tory alternative?

Elect a robot for PM?
    Do you seriously think banning Driverless trains is a good policy? Having somebody "drive" the DLR just because the law demands when there is no need. The reality is the whole tube should be Driverless like a like of modern metro systems around the world.
    For all the stick Tories and Kippers get about looking back to the past wearing rose-tinted spectacles nothing they have proposed is as conservative and backwards looking as this proposed Labour manifesto.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

I'll grant I mis-remembered that they went forward from the seats won in 2013, albeit they reduced in the number they held prior to the election in 2017 occurring because they'd gained many at by-elections. Mea culpa. They're down on where they were 2 months ago, but technically did not go backwards from 2013.

But your predictions are always that they will make big gains, not merely gains, remember all that stuff about the Tories being in disarray, and the LDs perhaps getting close to a majority in Cornwall? Ok, I judged them as going 'backwards' because I took from their total pre-election rather than the 2013 base as I should have...but remember your predictions?

Cornwall 2013 result
    Con 31 Lab 8 LD 36 UKIP 6 Green 1 Meb K 4 Ind 37
    My forecast
    Con 24 Lab 3 LD 62 UKIP 0 Green 1 Meb K 4 Ind 29

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1497893#Comment_1497893

You were a very very very very very long way out (BBC says CON 46, LD 37, IND 30, LAB 5, MK 4). No biggie, we've all been there, but you have no doubts therefore about your predictions now, not a one?

Acting like it is silly to predict the LDs will do poorly when your own ramping of them was wildly out is a little unreasonable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd save your money.

Well, how partial is that information Mark?

Cornwall

2013: LD 36 councillors
    2017 LD 37 councillors plus one

2013: Tories 31 councillors
    2017: Tories 46 councillors plus fifteen

LibDems - Winning Here!!!*

(*Just nowhere near as well as the Tories though)

(The LDs will actually be +2, as one of the Bodmin seats didn't vote due to the death of the LD candidate.)
This discussion has been closed.