Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though we’ll know tomorrow morning what the CPS ar

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though we’ll know tomorrow morning what the CPS are doing about the CON GE2015 expenses investigation

CPS announces on Wednesday whether to prosecute Tories over election spending breaches https://t.co/JgwAtnTdZS

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited May 2017
    They did this with Chris Huhne.

Announced the day before whether or not they'd be bringing charges the next morning.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    At least now we'll know...
  • Options
    In other news

*I make a noise that suspiciously sounds like 'The Saturday Night Massacre'*
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,003
    Farage to parachute into Thanet?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Note to self.

If there are charges, I must not panic over my buy of Tory seats on the spreads.

Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited May 2017
    Is the case against Craig Mckinley already fatally prejudiced ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    And so the long wait will finally be over. How many would be disappointing for those hoping for the biggest scandal in British politics, and how many a worry for those hoping for a damp squib?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

First.

They did this with Chris Huhne.

Announced the day before whether or not they'd be bringing charges the next morning.

But that was when the dpp was a complete prick with political ambitions.

Very hoity toity, and absolutely spot on, reply to ogh tweet from lady Nugee.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    How do we think the timing will affect nominations in any seats where they may be charges, given that Thursday is the closing date for nominations?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    isam said:

Why don't we just push the stupid bastard out of a plane.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    isam said:

Al Murray tried that....apparently there is a weight limit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    FPT
    walterw said:

A joke right?

Mandelson has already said he would just hand the €60 billion over to the EU without any negotiation.

Yes, a joke. I was alluding to Gordon Brown's GOATs.

On the negotiations, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad strategy. If we want to get them on the back foot, we should make concessions on the things they're expecting us to fight over and quickly move on to the things they don't want to talk about.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    FPT;

Pong said:

Thing is, the centre isn't low tax.

It's not triple lock - or at least not for everyone....

I suppose that you do realise that the triple lock is currently a Corbyn/McDonnell commitment for the next parilament, but not a Tory one?
    Any move to the centre will almost certainly involve clobbering wealthy pensioners.

From which angle isn't clear, but clobbered they will get.

A red clobbering won't come with anything nice. A blue clobbering probably gets cushioned by some cost-free social policy like giving guaranteed access for grandparents to see their grandkids.

Or something.

One thing is for sure though, if May moves to the radical centre and delivers jam for JAMs, wealthy pensioners get clobbered.

I can't see any other way.
  • Options
    From £500 bet on Le Pen to claiming his son did it to claiming the whole thing was a hoax and he is actually a London remainer playing a prank it appears @wollygogg has finally given up and deleted his twitter account completely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

From £500 bet on Le Pen to claiming his son did it to claiming the whole thing was a hoax and he is actually a London remainer playing a prank it appears @wollygogg has finally given up and deleted his twitter account completely.

What a knob.
  • Options
    It looks like there'll be a special edition of the Sean Spicer show tonight.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Note to self.

If there are charges, I must not panic over my buy of Tory seats on the spreads.

Keep calm and carry on.

I'm hoping tomorrow is the day to buy Con seats on the spreads, as they over-react to the news.
  • Options

It looks like there'll be a special edition of the Sean Spicer show tonight.

A man so incapable that Diane Abbott might even do a better job.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

How do we think the timing will affect nominations in any seats where they may be charges, given that Thursday is the closing date for nominations?

I suspect any constituency that has been under investigation has a replacement and nominations already lined up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

I'm hoping tomorrow is the day to buy Con seats on the spreads, as they over-react to the news.
    Unless there are thirty prosecutions... :p
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    TudorRose said:

Possibly that's why the CPS are announcing it tomorrow, to give time for a quick swap if needed - would be seen as unfair to announce after nominations close. But I'm just speculating.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    Pong said:

FPT;

Pong said:

I suppose that you do realise that the triple lock is currently a Corbyn/McDonnell commitment for the next parilament, but not a Tory one?
    Any move to the centre will almost certainly involve clobbering wealthy pensioners.

Wealthy pensioners are generally happy to be clobbered, within reason. For example, it's baffling to me why the bizarre loophole of National Insurance not being paid by pensioners who keep working wasn't closed years ago. Wealthy pensioners would also be entirely cool about addressing some of Gordon Brown's idiocies, such as free untaxed bus passes and TV licences.

However, you mentioned specifically the triple lock. That's of negligible interest to wealthy pensioners, although it has been a useful policy for addressing the scandal of the poverty of the poorest pensioners. But it's served its purpose now, and it's mathematically impossible to keep it going indefinitely. I very much expect that it will be dropped in the Tory manifesto, but Labour say they want to keep it. I guess Labour needs to buy all the votes it can.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT;

Pong said:

The people to whom the triple lock is a serious issue are by definition not wealthy and indeed not even comfortably off. Any pensioner with any money at all would sacrifice the triple lock in an instant in exchange for a normalisation of interest rates.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

Possibly that's why the CPS are announcing it tomorrow, to give time for a quick swap if needed - would be seen as unfair to announce after nominations close. But I'm just speculating.
    That was my thinking; the timing seems sensible because to do it after nominations closed would be rather prejudicial in those seats (notwithstanding innocent until proved guilty). But it also precludes Martin Bell style candidates popping up as well.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

Nah the day to buy was when I tipped it at 378 mid price and they are now 399 mid price.
  • Options
    Charles said:

NikNak said:

is his real name. His first half of his double barrelled name is his husband's

Then it's part of his "real name"

Unless you are suggesting his husband should be airbrushed out for some reason?
    More charitably you could take real in this instance to have meant birth or original name.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Btw, is Drunker Juncker a PB Leaver/Tory? Doesn't he now admit his leak was a mistake, and says that May is a friend but a tough negotiator? Isn't a week a long time in politics?

I'm sure it'll all change a day after the election!
  • Options
    Normally this would be the big news of tomorrow

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/862049452093304832

Why this story has legs

Lord Mandelson, the architect of new Labour, suggested moderate MPs could learn a lesson from the victory of Emmanuel Macron in the French presidential elections.

He said that the “simple truth of Macron’s victory is that he won by leaving his party, not despite doing so. We have to understand just how fed up people are with traditional party structures”.
  • Options

Btw, is Drunker Juncker a PB Leaver/Tory? Doesn't he now admit his leak was a mistake, and says that May is a friend but a tough negotiator? Isn't a week a long time in politics?

I'm sure it'll all change a day after the election!

He's probably forgotten who May is. :p
  • Options

TudorRose said:

It makes sense. They've been taking as much time as possible, practically, and then plan to announce all just happens to be tine for a swap out?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

Nah the day to buy was when I tipped it at 378 mid price and they are now 399 mid price.
    Yeah I know, but took too long to get set up and the buy price jumped from 378 to 391 in two days!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

I sold at 387 on the assumption that the CPS news would drop at some point during the campaign; I'm hoping I'll be able to close my position profitably sometime over the next couple of days.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

Yeah I know, but took too long to get set up and the buy price jumped from 378 to 391 in two days!
    Well you know me, I move betting markets with my thread headers :wink:

Goodnight.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

If needed? Surely that must mean needed then?
  • Options

100 Labour MPs? Sounds optimistic...
  • Options

Why this story has legs

Lord Mandelson, the architect of new Labour, suggested moderate MPs could learn a lesson from the victory of Emmanuel Macron in the French presidential elections.

He said that the “simple truth of Macron’s victory is that he won by leaving his party, not despite doing so. We have to understand just how fed up people are with traditional party structures”.

Are they? The biggest traditional party here seem to be doing fine. And the insurgent party is dying.
  • Options

Particularly when they apparently aren't bold enough to take on Corbyn for the labour name.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

Note to self.

Keep calm and carry on.

I sold at 387 on the assumption that the CPS news would drop at some point during the campaign; I'm hoping I'll be able to close my position profitably sometime over the next couple of days.
    The logic is there. I hope it comes off for you.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

Mandelson has already said he would just hand the €60 billion over to the EU without any negotiation.

On the negotiations, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad strategy. If we want to get them on the back foot, we should make concessions on the things they're expecting us to fight over and quickly move on to the things they don't want to talk about.

Blair tried that on the rebate

How's the reformed CAP looking?
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

Not the same situation. This time the clock is ticking, and both parties stand to lose if there is no deal. If May genuinely wants a trade deal pre-Brexit that's the way to go. (And as nothing is agreed until everything is agreed there's no downside.)
  • Options
    So 30 MPs may have a sleepless night ahead of them but in view of Comey's downfall so may a few bods at the cps.

Comey seems to have been caught fair and square telling porkies to Congress btw, not sure there is any need to look for an ulterior motive.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Y0kel said:

isam said:

Attached to you with handcuffs - so at least the world will be a better place for some people.
  • Options
    I get the impression the Liverpool mayor was disappointed not to get that safe parliamentary seat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-39848390
  • Options

TudorRose said:

I suspect any constituency that has been under investigation has a replacement and nominations already lined up.
    Thanet South apparently do not

Although Party HQ probably do

But as i suspect you know the real crunch will come in another case after the GE
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Please, let's not wish death on other members of PB.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    How I imagine the sitting South Thanet MP....

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

Not the same situation. This time the clock is ticking, and both parties stand to lose if there is no deal. If May genuinely wants a trade deal pre-Brexit that's the way to go. (And as nothing is agreed until everything is agreed there's no downside.)
    You don't really negotiate much do you?
  • Options
    Peter Mandelson? Pal endorsement, needs patrolmen, lamented person.. He's a a mine of anagrams!
  • Options

Y0kel said:

isam said:

Attached to you with handcuffs - so at least the world will be a better place for some people.
    No one has succeeded in getting me yet and they haven't tried twice Arthur.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I get the impression the Liverpool mayor was disappointed not to get that safe parliamentary seat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-39848390

He certainly wasn't happy to lose to Len's young bag-carrier imposed from HQ.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

I do actually, but as neither of us has ever been near an EU exit deal it's a moot point.

PS: Implicit in my comment is that May doesn't genuinely want a trade deal pre-Brexit, nor should she try to get one.
  • Options

Sitting South Thanet MP....

If what we hear is even half true he should be very calm, having expected bad news for a long time.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

Now now, he admitted both sides lose out if there's no deal, that's a big step.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Are you talking about the election results .... ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sitting South Thanet MP....

If what we hear is even half true he should be very calm, having expected bad news for a long time.
    He is in trouble-maybe tomorrow-maybe not
    But he's in trouble
    If he doesn't get fingered tomorrow then the first thing i will do is find out the odds of when the first By election is
  • Options
    Which lucky bag carrier will get the Thanet South nod then ?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

isam said:

Any more news to come RE: Trumpton?
  • Options

TudorRose said:

But as i suspect you know the real crunch will come in another case after the GE
    You talking about the Thanet South one? I think that's also being announced tomorrow.
  • Options

Please, let's not wish death on other members of PB.

What if we feel like killing ourselves?

https://twitter.com/elliciaroxanne/status/861967204681756672
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder if George Osborne fancies being the MP for Thanet South, would be easier editing The Standard from Thanet than Tatton.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I wonder if George Osborne fancies being the MP for Thanet South, would be easier editing The Standard from Thanet than Tatton.
    Don't you mean The Times?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is it not a bit down market for George?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Give it time.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

He's a working class Nothern tory. Just like TSE.
  • Options

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Give it time.
    Your coat, sir.
  • Options
    I think the law should be changed to allow the anti-hunt side to field a pack of dogs to protect the fox against the hounds. That would be fair.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Well at Oxford he was told he was an oik because he attended St Paul's and not Eton.

So after St Paul's and Oxford University, he's used to going to down market places.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TudorRose said:

You talking about the Thanet South one? I think that's also being announced tomorrow.
    The LA are standing by him and as of Saturday had no-one lined up "in case"
    -well that was the official line but i know a number of the Executive and they were pretty clear.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I think the law should be changed to allow the anti-hunt side to field a pack of dogs to protect the fox against the hounds. That would be fair.

madness.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Hmmm

MP Simon Danczuk accused of raping young woman in Westminster – but insists he’ll still stand in the General Election despite police probe

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3522181/mp-simon-danczuk-accused-of-raping-young-woman-in-westminster-but-insists-hell-still-stand-in-the-general-election-despite-police-probe/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OI !!
    We have some very nice parts thank you very much !!

It's the home of the Open Golf in a couple of years time :)
  • Options

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Give it time.
    Well Andy Coulson lives here so they can swap stories of the old times on the train.
  • Options

Hmmm

MP Simon Danczuk accused of raping young woman in Westminster – but insists he’ll still stand in the General Election despite police probe

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3522181/mp-simon-danczuk-accused-of-raping-young-woman-in-westminster-but-insists-hell-still-stand-in-the-general-election-despite-police-probe/

He really is a one man walking disaster.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well at Oxford he was told he was an oik because he attended St Paul's and not Eton.

So after St Paul's and Oxford University, he's used to going to down market places.
    "he's used to going to down market places."

You are now officially off my Christmas card list !
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Or as the Supreme Leader will enforce when he wins in 4 weeks....Non-religious Winter Festival Cards.
  • Options

Hmmm

Somewhat ironic that the two main stories tonight have a common thread.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure Thanet is lovely, I was merely going off Francis Urquhart's word that it was a bit down market.

Plus I wasn't going to miss an opportunity to diss Oxford University.
  • Options
    nunu said:

madness.
    Silliness!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure Thanet is lovely, I was merely going off Francis Urquhart's word that it was a bit down market.

TBH Thanet is a dump-and most Thanitians would agree on that.

But Sandwhich and the villages are very nice.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

walterw said:

A joke right?

I was biting my tongue, but your response made me :)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    122 comments so far on my Labour List piece:

http://labourlist.org/2017/05/nick-palmer-why-corbyns-critics-need-the-mcdonnell-amendment/

(written a couple of months ago but only appeared now for some editorial reason))
  • Options

Hmmm

I still hope he wins !
  • Options
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

isam said:

Plenty. Some investigations have already gone to decisions on indictments which is why Comey's sacking, bearing in mind he was under internal disciplinary investigation himself regarding his handling of the Clinton email issue, may ultimately have no showstopping impact. The symbolism and implicit threat to others is clear.

The question is whether those in the Republican establishment unsympathetic to Trump and who know whats going on, decide to apply political pressure.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,452
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

TBH Thanet is a dump-and most Thanitians would agree on that.

But Sandwhich and the villages are very nice.
    I did the Sandwich to Minster railway curve a month or so ago :)
  • Options

Why this story has legs

How many times have we heard the rumour of a breakaway since Corbyn got elected?
    Why should this talk result in anything different?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmmm

I still hope he wins !
    How much did you bet on him to win Rochdale?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

nunu said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

isam said:

Plenty. Some investigations have already gone to decisions on indictments which is why Comey's sacking, bearing in mind he was under internal disciplinary investigation himself regarding his handling of the Clinton email issue, may ultimately have no showstopping impact. The symbolism and implicit threat to others is clear.

The question is whether those in the Republican establishment unsympathetic to Trump and who know whats going on, decide to apply political pressure.
    woah what are the timescales on the indictments? Months?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

nunu said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

isam said:

woah what are the timescales on the indictments? Months?
    No idea, there are a serious number of people being looked into. Time has to be taken.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hmmm

I still hope he wins !
    How much did you bet on him to win Rochdale?
    Nothing :)
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Y0kel said:

Why this story has legs

How many times have we heard the rumour of a breakaway since Corbyn got elected?
    Why should this talk result in anything different?
    This would be post election defeat, you've got to think at some point the turkeys will stop voting for christmas. But yes you are probably right that it will come to nothing. 1 or 2 will resign in protest after losing a 3rd campaign against Corbyn. The rest will just passively go along with it and focus on their constituency work instead.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Whilst we have no idea as to what the CPS is about to say , if prosecutions of one or more MPs occur it will enable Labour to run with the message 'Now we know the real reason for the calling of this election - despite TMs repeated deials of such an intention'. There would be some mileage in that - and it would undermine May's image of honesty and being straight forward.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Whilst we have no idea as to what the CPS is about to say , if prosecutions of one or more MPs occur it will enable Labour to run with the message 'Now we know the real reason for the calling of this election - despite TMs repeated deials of such an intention'. There would be some mileage in that - and it would undermine May's image of honesty and being straight forward.

If that was the reason, surely she would have callled it for before the deadline?
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

If that was the reason, surely she would have callled it for before the deadline?
    But she has done!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Irish police halt prosecution of Stephen Fry for blasphemy

Police could not find enough people outraged at actor’s anti-God remarks on TV after only one viewer complained

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/may/09/irish-police-halt-prosecution-of-stephen-fry-for-blasphemy

What a total waste of time on the back of a single f##king complaint.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

But she has done!
    The last deadline is June 7th, so that's just wrong.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

But she has done!
    I am not sure what you are saying. She has called the election before the deadline!!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

But she has done!
    I am not sure what you are saying. She has called the election before the deadline!!
    "Called it for" as in she called it for June 8th.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Apparently Comey was addressing a group of FBI agents in LA when news began to flash on the TV screens behind him announcing his firing.

Fox News now carrying live coverage of Comey's motorcade in LA. Weird.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

But she has done!
    "Called it for" as in she called it for June 8th.
    I am afraid you are not making yourself clear here . You replied to my initial comment with 'If that was the reason, surely she would have callled it for before the deadline?'.I have pointed out that that is precisely what she has done!
This discussion has been closed.