Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Yvette Cooper 3/1 favourite to succeed Corbyn f

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No Cat Smith as next leader odds? Her positivity in the face of defeat would be just what they need.

Isn't she going to lose her seat?
    Hmm. LAB-CON marginal, 1265 majority. You're almost certainly right.
    Gone, gone, gone.
    OUT OUT OUT !
    Trying to think of a list of MPs who I am looking forward to seeing losing the most on 8th June. Probably Beckett, as she is one of the main authors of this disaster.

Be a shame if Jon Cruddas goes though. Thoughtful chap. The new Progressive Party will need chaps like that.

I have a bet on Ma Beckett going. And one on the other Derby seat as well, which felt like buying money.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Off topic and apologies if previously mentioned - Uk candidate who came third in 2015 in North Norfolk is standing down this time and 8328 votes are up for grabs. Norman Lamb majority in 2015 was 4043

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Not necessarily. People tend to forget that quite a bit of the UKIP vote had little to do with the EU at all. In 2015 they - and to some extent the Greens - acted as the NOTA option which had often driven the LibDem vote pre- Coalition. There is no particular reason why those voters would shift en masse to the Tories - indeed they are just as likely to switch to the LibDems or the Greens. Most of the pro-Brexit voters have probably moved to the Tories anyway , and it is unlikely that the UKIP vote would have been more than 3000 next month had they put up a candidate. The local elections were quite good for the LDs in North Norfolk and I doubt that this changes much.
    Err have you seen the polling, models and the locals ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,642

The public support the ban on fox-hunting by a substantial majority. The latest poll I can find is from 2015.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/01/09/british-people-still-support-fox-hunting-ban/

The premise that 'townies' do not understand the countryside is a myth - the ban is supported by a majority in rural areas and in all regions of the country. Many farmers and landowners in Devon and Cornwall do not allow hunting on their land - apart from animal welfare concerns, there is the pratical consideration of riders bashing down fences and hedges. The National Trust does allow hunting on its land, unfortunately, and it has received sustained bad publicity with allegations of illegal hunts.

I agree this is about getting the Countryside Alliance on board to assist with campaigning in the election - didn't David Cameron have a major falling out with them last time?

No.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Pulpstar said:

Yvette Cooper may have had the odd good performance in the HoC against in the main easy targets, but stick in front of a camera and start firing a few tough tough questions at her and she's hopeless in my view ... I mean really poor.

Well who else do Labour have :) ?

Macron will be running France for a few years :p
    & Doubt Obama will be interested ;)
    You are forgetting The Prince over the Water.
    And Hillary - she's free, I think!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Pong said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Off topic and apologies if previously mentioned - Uk candidate who came third in 2015 in North Norfolk is standing down this time and 8328 votes are up for grabs. Norman Lamb majority in 2015 was 4043

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Just to be clear there will no UKIP candidate standing in this general election in North Nofolk and UKIP supporters are being urged to vote Conservative by Michael Baker
    I'm not sure they need much urging.

Very difficult to see how Lamb can hold on.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/james-wild-a-former-special-advisor-to-the-defence-secretary-chosen-as-tory-candidate-for-north-norfolk-1-4998156

"The pro-EU pressure group Open Britain has said it is planning to provide activists to help Mr Lamb lose defend his seat."
    If there's no Ukip candidate in play at all, then it makes things very much more challenging for Lamb, doesn't it? Given the polling evidence, backed up by the Ukip collapse in the local elections, I'm working on the assumption that no less than about 50% of the 2015 Ukip vote will go straight to the Tories; that alone would've been sufficient to erase the Liberal Democrat majority. If the remainder of the Ukip vote is now looking for another home to go to then, whilst it's probable that some of them will sit on their hands, you'd have to reckon that a majority of those who do go out and vote will also back the Conservatives.

There is little or no net migration from Con to Lib Dem indicated by the opinion polls, and the North Norfolk constituency itself is Brexity (the district, which is broadly coterminous with this seat, voted 59% Leave,) and has the third highest percentage of voters aged 65 and over of any seat in the country. One would imagine that the Lib Dems would have to squeeze what's left of the Labour vote like a vice to stand a chance of hanging on.
    The UKIP vote collapsed in the local elections in North Norfolk . It went largely to the Lib Dems . I know you do not understand this but there you are
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,803
    Just had a few quid on Derby S going Tory. Beckett gone.

2015:

Labour Margaret Beckett 20,007
    Conservative Evonne Williams 11,179
    UKIP Victor Webb 6,341
    Liberal Democrat Joe Naitta 1,717

UKIP may stand. The guy still looking for money though: https://www.gofundme.com/make-alan-graves-a-ukip-mp
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

Yvette Cooper may have had the odd good performance in the HoC against in the main easy targets, but stick in front of a camera and start firing a few tough tough questions at her and she's hopeless in my view ... I mean really poor.

You are forgetting The Prince over the Water.
    And Hillary - she's free, I think!
    No, she is busy running for POTUS 2020. They haven't found out how to turn the software off yet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No Cat Smith as next leader odds? Her positivity in the face of defeat would be just what they need.

Isn't she going to lose her seat?
    Hmm. LAB-CON marginal, 1265 majority. You're almost certainly right.
    Gone, gone, gone.
    OUT OUT OUT !
    Trying to think of a list of MPs who I am looking forward to seeing losing the most on 8th June. Probably Beckett, as she is one of the main authors of this disaster.

Be a shame if Jon Cruddas goes though. Thoughtful chap. The new Progressive Party will need chaps like that.

I have a bet on Ma Beckett going. And one on the other Derby seat as well, which felt like buying money.
    Indeed.

We will owe Corbyn an enormous debt of gratitude by the time this is finished.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Not necessarily. People tend to forget that quite a bit of the UKIP vote had little to do with the EU at all. In 2015 they - and to some extent the Greens - acted as the NOTA option which had often driven the LibDem vote pre- Coalition. There is no particular reason why those voters would shift en masse to the Tories - indeed they are just as likely to switch to the LibDems or the Greens. Most of the pro-Brexit voters have probably moved to the Tories anyway , and it is unlikely that the UKIP vote would have been more than 3000 next month had they put up a candidate. The local elections were quite good for the LDs in North Norfolk and I doubt that this changes much.
    Except all the polling and canvassing shows they are massively going to the Tories
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,432
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Wasn't Michael Sheen rumoured to be thinking about going into politics? If he could merge his Blair and his Clough he'd be perfect to bring Labour back to life.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,594
    https://order-order.com/2017/05/09/woman-introduced-corbyn-sent-dozens-racist-tweets/

No problem with anti-Semitism in the Labour party, they had an investigation and everything...
  • Options
    peterbusspeterbuss Posts: 109
    Why don't Labour go for somebody like Stephen Kinnock. Go for a fresh start. He's articulate and seems to understand what Labour have got to do to get back into power. Too much baggage with people like Yvette Cooper.
  • Options

2015:

UKIP Victor Webb 6,341

UKIP may stand. The guy still looking for money though: https://www.gofundme.com/make-alan-graves-a-ukip-mp

Perhaps Beckett might chip in a few quid to ensure there's a real contest? She seems fond of doing that sort of thing.
  • Options
    peterbuss said:

Why don't Labour go for somebody like Stephen Kinnock. Go for a fresh start. He's articulate and seems to understand what Labour have got to do to get back into power. Too much baggage with people like Yvette Cooper.

It would have the merit of symmetry, if not of sanity.
  • Options
    Shame there's no market on how many times TMay will say 'str*ng and st*ble' tonight on the One Show. I've put in the asterisks in case OGH has got some anti-Tory spam software operating!
  • Options

2015:

UKIP Victor Webb 6,341

Perhaps Beckett might chip in a few quid to ensure there's a real contest? She seems fond of doing that sort of thing.
    Perhaps she'll sign the Tory's nomination papers....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,728
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,950

NEW THREAD

• Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Pong said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Just to be clear there will no UKIP candidate standing in this general election in North Nofolk and UKIP supporters are being urged to vote Conservative by Michael Baker

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/james-wild-a-former-special-advisor-to-the-defence-secretary-chosen-as-tory-candidate-for-north-norfolk-1-4998156

"The pro-EU pressure group Open Britain has said it is planning to provide activists to help Mr Lamb lose defend his seat."
    If there's no Ukip candidate in play at all, then it makes things very much more challenging for Lamb, doesn't it? Given the polling evidence, backed up by the Ukip collapse in the local elections, I'm working on the assumption that no less than about 50% of the 2015 Ukip vote will go straight to the Tories; that alone would've been sufficient to erase the Liberal Democrat majority. If the remainder of the Ukip vote is now looking for another home to go to then, whilst it's probable that some of them will sit on their hands, you'd have to reckon that a majority of those who do go out and vote will also back the Conservatives.

There is little or no net migration from Con to Lib Dem indicated by the opinion polls, and the North Norfolk constituency itself is Brexity (the district, which is broadly coterminous with this seat, voted 59% Leave,) and has the third highest percentage of voters aged 65 and over of any seat in the country. One would imagine that the Lib Dems would have to squeeze what's left of the Labour vote like a vice to stand a chance of hanging on.
    That's why I looked at the 2010 -rather than speculate where the UKIP voters came from and went to, just look at the seat before the UKIP surge

In 2010 in Norfolk North it was
    LibDem 55.5%
    Tory 32.1&
    Lab 5.8%
    UKIP 5.4%

Nationally in England vs 2010, the Tories are up ~13%, Lib Dems down ~14%, labour down ~1% UKIP up 1%

Apply that swing to the 2010 results and the Tory would win, but it would be close and maybe an incumbent beats the national swing..

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Danny565 said:

The Remain delusion: "the 48 per cent" do not exist

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/remain-delusion-48-cent-do-not-exist

This article should be mandatory reading for any Labour "moderates" who think Corbyn is an electoral disaster, yet at the same time somehow also think going for an ultra-pro-EU successor would be a good move.

The desire to rebuild "Blair" and his way is palpable among the self-styled 'centrists'.

• Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Pong said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.

The UKIP vote collapsed in the local elections in North Norfolk . It went largely to the Lib Dems . I know you do not understand this but there you are
    Agreed

the Tory got 15,000 votes in both 2010 and 2015. Lamb was down 8,000 Labour up 3,000 and UKIP up 5,000.

I suspect UKIP voters are quite different in different parts of the country, hence my concern with using blanket "50% go to the Tories" approaches.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Kuensberg came across in the BBC interview rather badly I thought . Corbyn had implicitly answered her question right at the beginning with his 'the decision was made last year'. She made herself look stupid.I wonder how much Tory Central Office might be paying her to go to those lengths to trip up Corbyn?

Don't be ridiculous.

Even by BBC standards, Kuensberg has a hugely inflated opinion of her opinion and her importance. She looks down at all politicians as a matter of routine and seems to think that being rude is the same as being effective.
    That is probably correct. Broadcasters are vulnerable to the charge of bias in terms of the stories they decide to run with. I have often pondered this - even going back to the days of Robin Day. How are they able to ascertain the issues and related questions which the public wants answered at a particular time? How does Kuensberg know that Brexit is the key question for most voters? She is making an assumption - which may be true or false - and it raises the question as to what right she has - ditto John Humphries , John Snow et al - to decide that X is to be the burning issue for the next day or so.When these people raise questions likely to be helpful to the Tories/Labour/SNP , it quite naturally will feed accusations of bias from parties wishing to see the focus directed elsewhere.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

felix said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.

As a vegetarian Conservative voter, I'm not too happy right now.
    I don't think we Tories actually eat the foxes. Now babies..... :)
    Um, some vegetarian baby-substitute for me, please :)
    You'll never be a proper PB Tory with that attitude.
    You mean he is not a lower form of life after all?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.

As a vegetarian Conservative voter, I'm not too happy right now.
    I don't think we Tories actually eat the foxes. Now babies..... :)
    Um, some vegetarian baby-substitute for me, please :)
    You'll never be a proper PB Tory with that attitude.
    You mean he is not a lower form of life after all?
    Charming.
This discussion has been closed.