Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Yvette Cooper 3/1 favourite to succeed Corbyn f

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

Heh - I see on Guido there's a story of a student politician sending racist tweets in the past, and getting in trouble. All pretty standard stuff, but what gets me is the grovelling apology about being horrified and disgusted by them, and not begin representative of the views they hold now - again, pretty standard stuff, and one hopes it's all true - but what gets me is they say they have no recollection writing them. Now, I can buy not recalling writing specific tweets from years ago, but the type of comments were pretty direct and vulgar, and surely you'd be able to recall if you either used to be a racist, or were a fan of making racially offensive jokes? Like, does it matter if you call writing them, why even bring that up if you are not disputing you did and acknowledge you either used to be a racist or used to make offensive jokes? It just makes you look like you have a memory problem.

On top of all the offensive stuff, she also writes:

"... socially exceptable too dress ..."

Crimes against the English language as well.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.

How does TMay view hunting? I hardly think that it would be her thing.
    Would she care enough to say no to her MPs if there was big support for repealing the ban though? Particularly if she will be asking them to swallow something they don't like in other areas?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,862

I started backing Clive Lewis when he was 33/1 last year and it still think that 8/1 are very good odds. I see a number of paths forward for him regardless of the outcome of the GE and McDonnell amendment – he’s still popular among Corbyn supporters but has also distanced himself enough to be able attract some ‘unity’ nominations and votes

I had a conversation with a reasonable Corbynista. They do exist. After explaining why his leader was totally useless, which he wasn't able to deny, he asked what leader was likely to be more successful? So I said basic arithmetic, not politics, requires a leader that can reach out to at least one third of current Conservative supporters to get them to switch, but he also needs to have something for activists, so they are happy to go out and campaign for him. He said, that's Clive Lewis. I don't if Lewis does tick the boxes, but the fact this party member thought he did was interesting in terms of his prospects for election as leader, I thought.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    Who is that? I was thinking Debbie Harry hadn't aged well, before listening to it.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    kle4 said:

Heh - I see on Guido there's a story of a student politician sending racist tweets in the past, and getting in trouble. All pretty standard stuff, but what gets me is the grovelling apology about being horrified and disgusted by them, and not begin representative of the views they hold now - again, pretty standard stuff, and one hopes it's all true - but what gets me is they say they have no recollection writing them. Now, I can buy not recalling writing specific tweets from years ago, but the type of comments were pretty direct and vulgar, and surely you'd be able to recall if you either used to be a racist, or were a fan of making racially offensive jokes? Like, does it matter if you call writing them, why even bring that up if you are not disputing you did and acknowledge you either used to be a racist or used to make offensive jokes? It just makes you look like you have a memory problem.

Or maybe a drink problem. She may have been so pissed when she wrote them that she really can't remember. Though you'd think she'd have noticed them on her timeline when she sobered up.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.

As a vegetarian Conservative voter, I'm not too happy right now.
    Why? Do you think you'll be force-fed foxes?
    No, I care about animal welfare generally. Other people eating meat is one thing, killing animals for sport another.
    And no doubt the effects of a fox in a henhouse is just a different form of animal welfare. Foxes are not killed 'for sport' - they are killed because they are murdering pests.
    The why is the killing of them done via a sport/leisure activity?

If foxes should be killed as they are pests to farmers, I have no issue at all - I like how foxes look and I don't want animals to be killed if it can be helped, but I trust if farmers tell me they are pests they are correct, as they are the ones who would know - but if it is a serious matter of pest removal, why are we gathering up our local chums, dressing up and riding about having a jolly good time? Is that the most efficient way to do it? And even if it is the most efficient, why the dress up?
    You want to legislate about what people wear?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

No, I care about animal welfare generally. Other people eating meat is one thing, killing animals for sport another.
    Number of foxes killed per year compared to the number of animals killed for meat per year is...?
    Yes, but animals taste yummy. ;)
    If you weren't supposed to enjoy eating animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Mr. Carpet, although I read that I don't think the South Korean result has been discussed here. Moon is wanting talks with North Korea. Might help cool temperatures. Or appease a lunatic, as you like.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Labour's lowest score in the last 10 polls has been 27%

#shortstraws

Doing fine, Corbyn - much more of this and I'll start believing he really will stay on (I still don't see how they stay above 200 seats even if the polls are right, they've been losing ground demonstrably in some places so will surely still lose plenty even on a non disaster night)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017

Mr. Patrick, we were discussing hunting, not disposal/ejection from the atmosphere.

Hitting a fox isn't a problem. Not leaving a significant crater is...

Killing foxes, not a problem, but the Lib Dems will be up in arms if you create pot-holes...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Number of foxes killed per year compared to the number of animals killed for meat per year is...?
    Yes, but animals taste yummy. ;)
    If you weren't supposed to enjoy eating animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.
    I believe that was a Sarah Palin line.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

And no doubt the effects of a fox in a henhouse is just a different form of animal welfare. Foxes are not killed 'for sport' - they are killed because they are murdering pests.
    If that is true, why not kill them humanely rather than terrifying and tormenting them first, disrupting sleepy rural places and getting horses*** everywhere in the process?
    What more humane way do you suggest?
    It's difficult to think of a more inhumane (and inefficient, as someone else pointed out) way than chasing them down and terrifying them.

A better suggestion is not killing them at all.
  • Options

Mr. Essexit, the main other methods of killing all have problems too. Lamping has led to some people being killed, shooting can maim, leading to a lingering death, poison can also be very slow.

One suggestion raised the last time this came up was farmers having a couple of guard dogs.

I assume you are joking?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who is that? I was thinking Debbie Harry hadn't aged well, before listening to it.

Female Martin Freeman
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

Mr. Carpet, although I read that I don't think the South Korean result has been discussed here. Moon is wanting talks with North Korea. Might help cool temperatures. Or appease a lunatic, as you like.

Mr Dancer, do you think the Korean populace will be Over The Moon if he wins?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Scott_P said:
    In fairness, while he might imply it, Corbyn doesn't actually categorically say in so many words that he will stay on as leader if they lose. To some degree, the BuzzFeed reporter is putting those words in his mouth. The BuzzFeed reporter needed to push it to get the line, and he didn't. Given the importance of the topic, that's sloppy reporting I'm afraid.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264

bobajobPB said:

Josias

The public ownership of railways is a great policy – and a vote winner. The problem defenders of franchising have is that a) why is it okay to nationalise railways in London and indeed to the French and German governments but not our own b) the public loathe the fact that they don't have one arse to kick when things go wrong. At least with TfL you know who to moan to. I won't go back into the cost debate, you and I have been there before and I admit that it's contentious. Suffice to say the perception – and indeed the suspicion – is that the taxpayer paid less when the railway was fully nationalised! The Southern debacle, and the rejection of Sadiq's bid to nationalise it into TfL – has given franchising and its defenders an even worse name than they had before.

Except the Southern debacle is a combination of factors: poor management, union interference, and engineering works (AIUI). There is zero guarantee that nationalised management would be any better than what we have now. In addition, if the unions win in their opposition to DOO, the passengers lose.

Also note that the one part of the railways that is currently failing in some ways is the nationalised part: Network Rail. Whilst its safety record is fantastic, its enhancements programs have not always been delivered on cost or on time (e.g. electrification schemes).

Currently, train operators return money to the state: £817 million in 2015/16. I'm far from sure that will still be the case if they're taken back into public ownership.
    It was the private sector wot built the railways and pioneer London Tube lines in the first place.
    Indeed. The social effects of the early tube lines are fascinating.

However, the early lines nearly went bankrupt under Yerkes' company, and were only saved by being nationalised into the passenger transport board (by the Conservatives, strangely enough!)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If that is true, why not kill them humanely rather than terrifying and tormenting them first, disrupting sleepy rural places and getting horses*** everywhere in the process?
    It's difficult to think of a more inhumane (and inefficient, as someone else pointed out) way than chasing them down and terrifying them.

And seeing newborn lambs killed?

A hunted fox is either killed, or gets off scot free. Gassing and shooting cause lingering deaths.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    She looks vaguely familiar. Who is she?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Roger said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That could be a bit of a break for Corbyn. If she can be persuaded to say that's her plan it's likely to swing a fair few votes. It's one of those defining issues that reminds people why they don't usually vote Tory. It's also got no downside. All pro hunters except Hoey are already Tory
    Oh dear. It's not going to swing anything. Everyone knows the game is up. Labour is bumping along its floor and the Tories pushing their ceiling. It's all over bar the shouting.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If foxes should be killed as they are pests to farmers, I have no issue at all - I like how foxes look and I don't want animals to be killed if it can be helped, but I trust if farmers tell me they are pests they are correct, as they are the ones who would know - but if it is a serious matter of pest removal, why are we gathering up our local chums, dressing up and riding about having a jolly good time? Is that the most efficient way to do it? And even if it is the most efficient, why the dress up?
    What about my post suggested that? I'm merely pointing out the 'it's not done for sport/leisure' line that is often used is clearly bollocks. If you want to argue it is a necessary pest control issue that people are coincidentally choosing to make into a sport/leisure/social activity, that's a different argument to the one [edit]that was[edit] made. But it is demonstrably about fun as well, even if it is primarily about pest control.

Personally I'm sceptical the way it is done is really the most efficient way to undertake pest control, but you'll note I did not rule out that it is, because I do not know. But it is clearly a social activity too, and people pretending otherwise don't help their case, nor do they when they act like foxes, even as vermin, are some sort of cross between a demon and an A bomb in viciousness.

Overturning the ban would not impact on my voting inclination in any way, but the humourlessness and fanaticism of some of the ban repealers puts them up with any Corbynite/Nat/Kipper/whatever we call fanatical liberals in terms of undermining their own cases.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,957
    bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Jane Horrocks with lipstick
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

A hunted fox is either killed, or gets off scot free. Gassing and shooting cause lingering deaths.
    Point taken on the lambs, but there is no way hunting is a humane 'pest control' method. It's a sport, as its proponents are generally happy to argue.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    GeoffM said:

If the Good Lord had not meant us to eat roast beef, then He wouldn't have given us the blessing of claret to accompany it.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

The population of rural foxes is declining......

Anyhow, fox hunting is not about culling....it is about killing......

I'm struggling today with the brutality of nature after I discovered three headless blackbird chicks this morning at the foot of a nest I have been observing hourly for the past month or so.....

The modus operandi of next doors cat is one that takes the head. I asked them to keep the cat in when the chicks left the nest, just for a day or two.....

Now all I can see is a the highly agitated male flying around vainly calling out.....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,957
    edited May 2017
    Roger said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    or Maxine Peake. Hard to tell on my computer. The voice could be either
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

bobajobPB said:

Josias

The public ownership of railways is a great policy – and a vote winner. The problem defenders of franchising have is that a) why is it okay to nationalise railways in London and indeed to the French and German governments but not our own b) the public loathe the fact that they don't have one arse to kick when things go wrong. At least with TfL you know who to moan to. I won't go back into the cost debate, you and I have been there before and I admit that it's contentious. Suffice to say the perception – and indeed the suspicion – is that the taxpayer paid less when the railway was fully nationalised! The Southern debacle, and the rejection of Sadiq's bid to nationalise it into TfL – has given franchising and its defenders an even worse name than they had before.

Except the Southern debacle is a combination of factors: poor management, union interference, and engineering works (AIUI). There is zero guarantee that nationalised management would be any better than what we have now. In addition, if the unions win in their opposition to DOO, the passengers lose.

Also note that the one part of the railways that is currently failing in some ways is the nationalised part: Network Rail. Whilst its safety record is fantastic, its enhancements programs have not always been delivered on cost or on time (e.g. electrification schemes).

Currently, train operators return money to the state: £817 million in 2015/16. I'm far from sure that will still be the case if they're taken back into public ownership.
    It was the private sector wot built the railways and pioneer London Tube lines in the first place.

However, the early lines nearly went bankrupt under Yerkes' company, and were only saved by being nationalised into the passenger transport board (by the Conservatives, strangely enough!)
    If I rememer correctly, I read it was the buses that effectively subsidised the early tubes, even before LPTB days.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2017
    No doubt animals all over the world whose habitats have been destroyed view humans as pests too
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If you think mounted fox hunts are an effective way of culling foxes then I have a bridge to sell you.

Foxes are majoritarily killed by farmers or hired shooters shooting them with shotguns not by a barbaric cavalcade of twats on horseback.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Point taken on the lambs, but there is no way hunting is a humane 'pest control' method. It's a sport, as its proponents are generally happy to argue.
    It's both.
  • Options
    7fingers7fingers Posts: 8
    Off topic and apologies if previously mentioned - Uk candidate who came third in 2015 in North Norfolk is standing down this time and 8328 votes are up for grabs. Norman Lamb majority in 2015 was 4043
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited May 2017
    The Tory PPB is miles better, has normal people in it rather than the stereotypical left wing luvvie (Did Labour not learn from Bilbo Baggins ?!) lecturing to us.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264

bobajobPB said:

Josias

If I rememer correctly, I read it was the buses that effectively subsidised the early tubes, even before LPTB days.
    I'm unsure about that - afaiaa it was the rise of the unregulated motor-bus after WW1 that really hurt both the trams and underground network. But I could be wrong.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

I'm struggling today with the brutality of nature after I discovered three headless blackbird chicks this morning at the foot of a nest I have been observing hourly for the past month or so.....

The modus operandi of next doors cat is one that takes the head. I asked them to keep the cat in when the chicks left the nest, just for a day or two.....

Now all I can see is a the highly agitated male flying around vainly calling out.....
    :(
  • Options
    7fingers said:

Off topic and apologies if previously mentioned - Uk candidate who came third in 2015 in North Norfolk is standing down this time and 8328 votes are up for grabs. Norman Lamb majority in 2015 was 4043

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

If the Good Lord had not meant us to eat roast beef, then He wouldn't have given us the blessing of claret to accompany it.
    It is quite easy to lose the taste of meat. I used to like it, but now cannot even look at a piece of raw meat without feeling a bit nauseous.

One generation of not eating meat would make humans look back and feel absolutely disgusted that their ancestors ate mammal flesh....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Roger said:

Roger said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Looks like Bubbles from Ab-Fab
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

What about my post suggested that? I'm merely pointing out the 'it's not done for sport/leisure' line that is often used is clearly bollocks. If you want to argue it is a necessary pest control issue that people are coincidentally choosing to make into a sport/leisure/social activity, that's a different argument to the one [edit]that was[edit] made. But it is demonstrably about fun as well, even if it is primarily about pest control.

Personally I'm sceptical the way it is done is really the most efficient way to undertake pest control, but you'll note I did not rule out that it is, because I do not know. But it is clearly a social activity too, and people pretending otherwise don't help their case, nor do they when they act like foxes, even as vermin, are some sort of cross between a demon and an A bomb in viciousness.

Overturning the ban would not impact on my voting inclination in any way, but the humourlessness and fanaticism of some of the ban repealers puts them up with any Corbynite/Nat/Kipper/whatever we call fanatical liberals in terms of undermining their own cases.
    I think you are strawmanning here. Of course we do it for fun, as well as other reasons.

Edit: *did*it for fun, of course. Or when we go to Ireland.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

It's both.
    Is it the most efficient way to combat the pest though, I'm still unclear? Because if it isn't, then the sport/leisure really should be set aside for taking the most efficient approach to dealing with the pest. Otherwise you're just playing dress up and horsing around without dealing most effectively with the problem.
  • Options
    tyson said:

GeoffM said:

It is quite easy to lose the taste of meat. I used to like it, but now cannot even look at a piece of raw meat without feeling a bit nauseous.

One generation of not eating meat would make humans look back and feel absolutely disgusted that their ancestors ate mammal flesh....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-WcnqUwLM
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

That's a good list...

@janinegibson: Jeremy Corbyn now joins Donald Trump and Marine Le Pen on a list of political leaders who excluded @BuzzFeedNews in response to coverage

@IanDunt: Corbyn starts a fight with media outlet which treats him fairly & has a massive readership made up of demographic he is targeting.

So we are down to the Morning Star and the Canary now then as Team Twat approved media outlets.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

tyson said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

I so wish I didn't have to see it. It has ruined mine and my wife's day. I wish they could have kept their cat in for a couple of days to give the chicks a fighting chance.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not sure that Mike's right about the post-election views of Labour party members. If Labour are hammered, reality will dawn with enough of them to see Jeremy Corbyn out on his ear, even if he tries to hang on.

The question is whether he would try to do so (I think he would) and if so who would be the unity opponent. Yvette Cooper would certainly be plausible, though a bit shop-soiled by her original defeat to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Corbyn's vouch to stay on has about as much weight as Cameron's did pre referendum. If Labour get shellacked, he's off.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,417
    Roger said:

Roger said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    it's Maxine Peake.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

What abo.
    I think you are strawmanning here. Of course we do it for fun, as well as other reasons.
    Foxes are not killed 'for sport' - they are killed because they are murdering pests.

That is the post I responded to. A flat denial foxes are killed for sport. Which I criticised as bollocks, since as you acknowledge it is done for fun, even if it is for other reasons too, making the comment bollocks.

How can it be strawmanning when I did not invent a strawman to make a point for me to rebut, but responded directly to a comment which made the exact point I said it did - that is, that the killing is not done for fun?

What is it called when someone accuses you of strawmanning without cause?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

It's both.
    Is it the most efficient way to combat the pest though, I'm still unclear? Because if it isn't, then the sport/leisure really should be set aside for taking the most efficient approach to dealing with the pest. Otherwise you're just playing dress up and horsing around without dealing most effectively with the problem.
    Well, yes. Being killed in any way whatever is not much fun, obv, but the alternatives are gas - quite heavily deprecated in the human context - or shooting, which inevitably wounds without immediately killing, and therefore death by gangrene, in a substantial minority of cases.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    tyson said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

My cat will let out a triumphant yowl as he drags some unfortunate creature through the cat flap.

Yesterday, I came down to discover a long mouse's tail, with a backbone, and some entrails attached, on the kitchen floor.
  • Options
    I think the Labour slogan would be more accurate if it said "Shafting the economy for the many, while the few will manage to move abroad".
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Possibly, but not necessarily. 2015 was after all the nadir for the LibDems, so I'd expect at least some recovery in his vote share. Dunno if it will be enough, however.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The Remain delusion: "the 48 per cent" do not exist

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/remain-delusion-48-cent-do-not-exist

This article should be mandatory reading for any Labour "moderates" who think Corbyn is an electoral disaster, yet at the same time somehow also think going for an ultra-pro-EU successor would be a good move.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, surely they'd only be over the Moon when he was unpopular?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    tyson said:

Essexit said:

tyson said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

I so wish I didn't have to see it. It has ruined mine and my wife's day. I wish they could have kept their cat in for a couple of days to give the chicks a fighting chance.
    Keeping a cat indoors is extremely difficult, unless the weather is very bad.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

It's both.
    Well, yes. Being killed in any way whatever is not much fun, obv, but the alternatives are gas - quite heavily deprecated in the human context - or shooting, which inevitably wounds without immediately killing, and therefore death by gangrene, in a substantial minority of cases.
    I'll take your word for it. If that is correct, then the more colourful aspects of fox hunting are not a big deal, which is only an issue if it is not correct.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I think the Labour slogan would be more accurate if it said "Shafting the economy for the many, while the few will manage to move abroad".

How well did a "we have to do what rich people say, or they'll move abroad!" message work in the EU referendum? People (rightly, IMO) said either "they're lying" or "if being in Britain really means that little to them then good riddance".
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    edited May 2017

Sean_F said:

The Nasty Party is back and chasing foxes.
    I have no moral or ethical hang ups about hunting.

Hunting is a perfectly normal human (and non-human) activity that has been going on for millennia, and is a strong strand of our cultural heritage in rural areas. As the many fox and hounds pictures and paintings in rural pubs and clubs show, one that many still feel a passion for.

Yep - I agree. As I have written on here before, Labour lost my father-in-law's vote over hunting. I used to take him to the Boxing Day Warwickshire hunt meeting and we'd follow it on other occasions when it was active around the village where he lived. As a townie I had never come across it before, but when I started to take him I realised that it really was something precious and important to country people of all backgrounds and classes. It was also exceptionally thrilling to watch the horses in full flow across a wide, empty, frosty morning field - the colours, the noises, the movement; it was like something from a different world, from the past. And it felt very good to watch it - it felt connecting to something older and deeper than now.

There is no getting round the fact that fox hunting is cruel and that foxes suffer greatly if caught and are terrified over an extended period even if they get away; but that is how nature works. We treat farm animals far more cruelly over much longer periods of time. We kill millions of them at birth or just after because they are not what we want. Foxes get to live free and in the wild, in habitats that are often maintained because of hunting. The price that some of them pay for this is a horrible death after a life of far higher quality than just about every domesticated farm animal you can think of gets to lead. That may not be perfect; but for me, it is not a bad trade-off.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Just to be clear there will no UKIP candidate standing in this general election in North Nofolk and UKIP supporters are being urged to vote Conservative by Michael Baker
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Roger said:

Roger said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    it's Maxine Peake.
    You lot should look up from your screens now and again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Very topical on this thread!
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: two silly bets for tiny sums, to commemorate the everlasting magnificence of my fluky Verstappen bet last yet.

Perez, 41, podium
    Hulkenberg, 126, podium

Spain is very hard to pass on, and if the top teams struggle then the Force India will be tasty on race pace, and the Renault can qualify pretty handily. As I said, only put tiny sums on, but if there's to be an upset, I'd expect one of these chaps (possibly Massa though I get the feeling not) to benefit.

They won't count in the Records of Morris Dancer.

On a more serious note, give some thought to Raikkonen at 13, each way, for the win. He was faster than Vettel in every session last year.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Corbynistas in a nutshell:

"You also found a lot of supporters in the room who hadn’t yet done any campaigning"

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gary-gibbon/blogs/jeremy-corbyn-we-have-four-weeks-to-ruin-their-party
  • Options

Corbynistas in a nutshell:

"You also found a lot of supporters in the room who hadn’t yet done any campaigning"

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gary-gibbon/blogs/jeremy-corbyn-we-have-four-weeks-to-ruin-their-party

The backdrop is his battle bus, driven into the venue on a near empty tank due to health and safety rules.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    No Cat Smith as next leader odds? Her positivity in the face of defeat would be just what they need.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Sean_F said:

Hunting is a perfectly normal human (and non-human) activity that has been going on for millennia, and is a strong strand of our cultural heritage in rural areas. As the many fox and hounds pictures and paintings in rural pubs and clubs show, one that many still feel a passion for.

Yep - I agree. As I have written on here before, Labour lost my father-in-law's vote over hunting. I used to take him to the Boxing Day Warwickshire hunt meeting and we'd follow it on other occasions when it was active around the village where he lived. As a townie I had never come across it before, but when I started to take him I realised that it really was something precious and important to country people of all backgrounds and classes. It was also exceptionally thrilling to watch the horses in full flow across a wide, empty, frosty morning field - the colours, the noises, the movement; it was like something from a different world, from the past. And it felt very good to watch it - it felt connecting to something older and deeper than now.

There is no getting round the fact that fox hunting is cruel and that foxes suffer greatly if caught and are terrified over an extended period even if they get away; but that is how nature works. We treat farm animals far more cruelly over much longer periods of time. We kill millions of them at birth or just after because they are not what we want. Foxes get to live free and in the wild, in habitats that are often maintained because of hunting. The price that some of them pay for this is a horrible death after a life of far higher quality than just about every domesticated farm animal you can think of gets to lead. That may not be perfect; but for me, it is not a bad trade-off.

I am sure you have written almost exactly that before, and I responded then, though cant remember how..

I am sorry I cant remember what you wrote!

Neither Human aided and abetted fox hunting nor industrial farming are how nature works though are they?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Trollope is very good on fox-hunting in another age - and he was a Liberal albeit of the Whiggish variety.
  • Options
    Put a tiny sum on Con, North Norfolk. Cheers for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn's vouch to stay on has about as much weight as Cameron's did pre referendum. If Labour get shellacked, he's off.

So why ban a news outlet for reporting it?
  • Options
    7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Just to be clear there will no UKIP candidate standing in this general election in North Nofolk and UKIP supporters are being urged to vote Conservative by Michael Baker
    I take it you are a local from your username?! :lol:
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Given Debbie Harry is now 71 I'd have thought that meant she'd aged VERY well indeed.
  • Options
    When's Wusselly Brand getting involved?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Possibly, but not necessarily. 2015 was after all the nadir for the LibDems, so I'd expect at least some recovery in his vote share. Dunno if it will be enough, however.
    There were some LD council gains in N Norfolk last week. I hope and tbink he can hang on. He is an excellent MP, and incidentally did not oppose A50 being passed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No Cat Smith as next leader odds? Her positivity in the face of defeat would be just what they need.

Isn't she going to lose her seat?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    There were some council gains in N Norfolk last week. I hope and tbink he can hang on. He is an excellent MP, and incidentally did not oppose A50 being passed.
    I wonder if that point will be emphasised in his literature.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    I'm not sure they need much urging.

Very difficult to see how Lamb can hold on. The tory candidate is a bit meh and the "former lobbyist" angle won't help, but overall i doubt he's a net negative. All he has to be is a nice young man who's part of Theresa's team - and not badmouth Lamb personally - and he'll probably get in.

Also;

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/james-wild-a-former-special-advisor-to-the-defence-secretary-chosen-as-tory-candidate-for-north-norfolk-1-4998156

"The pro-EU pressure group Open Britain has said it is planning to provide activists to help Mr Lamb lose defend his seat."
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Given Debbie Harry is now 71 I'd have thought that meant she'd aged VERY well indeed.

Watch her new video. She looks amazing!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hmm. LAB-CON marginal, 1265 majority. You're almost certainly right.
  • Options
    Pong said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.

Very difficult to see how Lamb can hold on.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/james-wild-a-former-special-advisor-to-the-defence-secretary-chosen-as-tory-candidate-for-north-norfolk-1-4998156

"The pro-EU pressure group Open Britain has said it is planning to provide activists to help Mr Lamb lose defend his seat."
    Open Britain will play like the Black Death in Norfolk North.
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson I will have that tenner at EVS on UKIP getting 20% in any seat if you still want the bet
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Looks like Lamb to the slaughter.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, Debbie did sing a song in the early days called "Dreaming", which sums up Labour under Corbyn.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    The Countryside Alliance are a massive and committed potential leaflet delivery force. If TMay can get them on board and unleash them on the marginals. The hunting shires are clearly in the bag already. I would keep them away from talking to swing voters though. Social attitudes do not translate easily
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    There were some LD council gains in N Norfolk last week. I hope and tbink he can hang on. He is an excellent MP, and incidentally did not oppose A50 being passed.
    I'm afraid that won't matter. Noone pays attention to the details of what vote you go to or not as an MP.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Gone, gone, gone.
  • Options
    Seems like more reason to keep an eye on those LDs under 10 odds.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Gone, gone, gone.
    OUT OUT OUT !
  • Options
    7fingers said:

I'd note, however, that the County Council seat the UKIPper in question (Mike Baker) won in 2013 and vacated this year fell to the Lib Dems, from 3rd, on Thursday, not to the second place Tories.

The composition of NN as a whole in the recent local elections went from 5 LD, 4 Tory, 2 UKIP to 7/4/0. So it's not clear the unwind in North Norfolk has gone quite the same way it has elsewhere.

Not helpful for Lamb if UKIP don't stand though of course.
  • Options
    Yvette Cooper may have had the odd good performance in the HoC against in the main easy targets, but stick in front of a camera and start firing a few tough tough questions at her and she's hopeless in my view ... I mean really poor.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Yvette Cooper may have had the odd good performance in the HoC against in the main easy targets, but stick in front of a camera and start firing a few tough tough questions at her and she's hopeless in my view ... I mean really poor.

Well who else do Labour have :) ?

Macron will be running France for a few years :p
    & Doubt Obama will be interested ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    I take it you are a local from your username?! :lol:
    Yes! and I was canvassed by Mick Hardy of the'Dandy Party' in 2015 accompanied by one of this parish - Justin
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Engels of course was a keen hunting man. Jezza pls note.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

I'm not sure that Mike's right about the post-election views of Labour party members. If Labour are hammered, reality will dawn with enough of them to see Jeremy Corbyn out on his ear, even if he tries to hang on.

The question is whether he would try to do so (I think he would) and if so who would be the unity opponent. Yvette Cooper would certainly be plausible, though a bit shop-soiled by her original defeat to Jeremy Corbyn.

I have a feeling that Labour are not going to get hammered , sure they will lose seats but I expect them to get 28-30%
    The actual vote shares last week in the English counties/unitaries was

Con 46.6%
    Lab 20.1%
    LDem 17.9%
    UKIP 4.7%
    Green 3.9%
    Ind 6.8%

The Labour vote was ( to me ) rather resilient . In 2013 they achieved 21.3% and I was expecting them to drop to 17/18% this time
    Whether a narrow defeat than many are expecting will help Corbyn to stay as leader I have no idea .
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    There were some council gains in N Norfolk last week. I hope and tbink he can hang on. He is an excellent MP, and incidentally did not oppose A50 being passed.
    I wonder if that point will be emphasised in his literature.
    He's already at it:

"Mr Lamb said he did not think UKIP standing aside was “significant” and that the fact the Liberal Democrats last week won seats from UKIP in Holt and Melton Constable showed it was not a foregone conclusion that it would be the Conservatives who benefit from them not standing."

http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/we-need-to-rid-ourselves-of-our-liberal-democrat-mp-ukip-not-standing-in-north-norfolk-and-urge-supporters-to-vote-conservative-to-unseat-norman-lamb-1-5010438
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,417

but stick in front of a camera and start firing a few tough tough questions at her and she's hopeless in my view ... I mean really poor.

Sounds familiar..
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

You don't care about the other animals, then.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Gone, gone, gone.
    OUT OUT OUT !
    Trying to think of a list of MPs who I am looking forward to seeing losing the most on 8th June. Probably Beckett, as she is one of the main authors of this disaster.

Be a shame if Jon Cruddas goes though. Thoughtful chap. The new Progressive Party will need chaps like that.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well who else do Labour have :) ?

Macron will be running France for a few years :p
    & Doubt Obama will be interested ;)
    You are forgetting The Prince over the Water.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2017
    Pong said:

7fingers said:

Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.

Very difficult to see how Lamb can hold on.

If there's no Ukip candidate in play at all, then it makes things very much more challenging for Lamb, doesn't it? Given the polling evidence, backed up by the Ukip collapse in the local elections, I'm working on the assumption that no less than about 50% of the 2015 Ukip vote will go straight to the Tories; that alone would've been sufficient to erase the Liberal Democrat majority. If the remainder of the Ukip vote is now looking for another home to go to then, whilst it's probable that some of them will sit on their hands, you'd have to reckon that a majority of those who do go out and vote will also back the Conservatives.

There is little or no net migration from Con to Lib Dem indicated by the opinion polls, and the North Norfolk constituency itself is Brexity (the district, which is broadly coterminous with this seat, voted 59% Leave,) and has the third highest percentage of voters aged 65 and over of any seat in the country. One would imagine that the Lib Dems would have to squeeze what's left of the Labour vote like a vice to stand a chance of hanging on.
  • Options
    The public support the ban on fox-hunting by a substantial majority. The latest poll I can find is from 2015.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/01/09/british-people-still-support-fox-hunting-ban/

The premise that 'townies' do not understand the countryside is a myth - the ban is supported by a majority in rural areas and in all regions of the country. Many farmers and landowners in Devon and Cornwall do not allow hunting on their land - apart from animal welfare concerns, there is the pratical consideration of riders bashing down fences and hedges. The National Trust does allow hunting on its land, unfortunately, and it has received sustained bad publicity with allegations of illegal hunts.

I agree this is about getting the Countryside Alliance on board to assist with campaigning in the election - didn't David Cameron have a major falling out with them last time?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

7fingers said:

Roast Lamb I'm afraid.
    Not necessarily. People tend to forget that quite a bit of the UKIP vote had little to do with the EU at all. In 2015 they - and to some extent the Greens - acted as the NOTA option which had often driven the LibDem vote pre- Coalition. There is no particular reason why those voters would shift en masse to the Tories - indeed they are just as likely to switch to the LibDems or the Greens. Most of the pro-Brexit voters have probably moved to the Tories anyway , and it is unlikely that the UKIP vote would have been more than 3000 next month had they put up a candidate. The local elections were quite good for the LDs in North Norfolk and I doubt that this changes much.
This discussion has been closed.