Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Yvette Cooper 3/1 favourite to succeed Corbyn f

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,306
    GE deposits should be upped to £100k, would bring in ~ £200 million + for the treasury if we have one a year.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948

Scott_P said:

@Jack_Blanchard_: Sensational. Theresa May confirms she hopes to bring back fox hunting. "I've always been in favour of hunting & we maintain out commitment"

Why not bring back badger baiting and dog fighting too?
    Did you say that to Cameron?
    I did.

Only time I've ever approved of hunting

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-shooting-birds-boris-johnson-michael-gove-brexit-eu-referendum-davos-a7540311.html
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Scott_P said:
    Walton adver http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/parliamentary-selection-process-2017 Applications only closed yesterday and the list of qualifications for standing is remarkably thin - nothing about being an approved candidate like Lib Dems or Tories, which tests for policy, media, public speaking campaigning, etc, just membership and trade union membership. Remarkable
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Kuensberg came across in the BBC interview rather badly I thought . Corbyn had implicitly answered her question right at the beginning with his 'the decision was made last year'. She made herself look stupid.I wonder how much Tory Central Office might be paying her to go to those lengths to trip up Corbyn?
  • Options
    I started backing Clive Lewis when he was 33/1 last year and it still think that 8/1 are very good odds. I see a number of paths forward for him regardless of the outcome of the GE and McDonnell amendment – he’s still popular among Corbyn supporters but has also distanced himself enough to be able attract some ‘unity’ nominations and votes
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    dixiedean said:

The psychology of new leaders is often under-estimated. They tend to compensate for the perceived weaknesses of the person they are replacing on personality, not necessarily policy. Clinton to Bush to Obama to Trump. Howard to Cameron to May.Blair to Brown to Miliband to Corbyn. Therefore the next leader will probably be someone relatively new to Parliament, young, well turned out and with some Northern (ish) constituency. Nandy or Jarvis (if he wants it) for me.

Jon Asworth. Still at bargain prices...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,211
    justin124 said:

Kuensberg came across in the BBC interview rather badly I thought . Corbyn had implicitly answered her question right at the beginning with his 'the decision was made last year'. She made herself look stupid.I wonder how much Tory Central Office might be paying her to go to those lengths to trip up Corbyn?

Get a grip man. Tory Central Office is not paying Laura anything.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081

Cockfighting was once the most popular sport in England. Every village had their own cockpit.

It may be why, contrary to other languages, the slang in English for a gentleman's particular appendage is 'cock' rather than 'dog'.

These days we have to make do with X-Factor, BGT, and PMQs.

and PB :lol:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Sky News reporting kantar poll showing Tories-4, Lab +4

So would make it Con 44% Lab 28%
    Kay burley didn't give figures just the up 4 down 4 bit
    So the Big Mo is with Labour. It looks like even the UK couldn't resist the wave of populism that started in America and is sweeping the West.
    The day the polls turned !
    JICIPM!!!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Get a grip man. Tory Central Office is not paying Laura anything.
    It is a view I suppose!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,768
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 44% (-4)
    LAB: 28% (+4)
    LDEM: 11% (-)
    UKIP: 8% (+1)

(via @TNS_UK / 04 - 08 May)
    Chgs. w/ 02 May
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    justin124 said:

It's a perfectly reasonable line of questioning. What will Corbyn and Labour do if they cannot reach an agreement with the EU?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2017
    "Jean-Claude Juncker has admitted that the leak of his discussions with Theresa May during a Downing Street dinner was a "serious mistake".

Mr Juncker yesterday told the German newspaper Handelsblatt: “The fact that this conversation was reported is a serious mistake.” The leaked account said Mr Juncker accused Mrs May of being "delusional" and claimed he left the Downing Street dinner "10 times more sceptical".

But in a bid to play down the diplomatic row Mr Juncker said: “I get along fine with May. She’s a tough lady.” "

https://goo.gl/cF8rDK
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Nearly one in five of the Labour pledges with KantarTNS did not vote in the referendum.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,467
    justin124 said:

TNS -Kantor poll would imply circa 190 Labour seats plus any gains from SNP.

365's O/U line for labour seats is now 151.5, which I think is the lowest it's been. not my favourite type of market but I'd be a buyer rather than a seller at this level.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    Didn't Kantar have the Tories on 46% last time or have I missed one???
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

@Jack_Blanchard_: Sensational. Theresa May confirms she hopes to bring back fox hunting. "I've always been in favour of hunting & we maintain out commitment"

I thought most hunts still carried on more or less regardless anyway, getting round the rules by carrying an eagle owl or dragging an aniseed soaked rag or something?

My parents apparently went to watch the Boxing day hunt last year "as usual". Doesn't float my boat but there you go
    "The unspeakable in the pursuit of the uneatable" still holds a century and a bit after Oscar Wilde's observation in my view. I would defend to the death their right to be unspeakable, I think, except I am not sure I can be bothered.
    In fact someone says it in a Wilde play, and the point of the play is what a twat the bloke is. I also don't pay a huge amount of attention

Scott_P said:

Why not bring back badger baiting and dog fighting too?
    Good plan, but hunting first.

As it was the favourite sport of Wellington, Churchill and D Cameron, to oppose it would be to mark oneself out as a TINO.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

Nearly one in five of the Labour pledges with KantarTNS did not vote in the referendum.

Hidden Corbynistas ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DanSmith said:

justin124 said:

It's a perfectly reasonable line of questioning. What will Corbyn and Labour do if they cannot reach an agreement with the EU?
    Labour won't get elected.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Scott_P said:

I thought most hunts still carried on more or less regardless anyway, getting round the rules by carrying an eagle owl or dragging an aniseed soaked rag or something?

My parents apparently went to watch the Boxing day hunt last year "as usual". Doesn't float my boat but there you go
    Yes, the biggest argument for repeal of the ban is that it has pretty much no effect.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    Off-topic:

Incident at Drayton Manor Park:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39862996
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Labour's lowest score in the last 10 polls has been 27%

#shortstraws

In fact, discounting the last rogue Kantar poll, you have to go back to Ipsos-Mori [ 21-25 Apr ] to get Labour <27%.</p>
    All good news for Corbyn - potential for 5 more years of Labour in-fighting. WNTL!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Oh dear - from a non-Labour voter as well. Right. Yup. For sure.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

Hidden Corbynistas ?
    Students completing online surveys is my guess looking at the age profile and the numbers who aren't registered to vote.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Sky News reporting kantar poll showing Tories-4, Lab +4

So would make it Con 44% Lab 28%
    Kay burley didn't give figures just the up 4 down 4 bit
    So the Big Mo is with Labour. It looks like even the UK couldn't resist the wave of populism that started in America and is sweeping the West.
    The day the polls turned !
    JICIPM!!!
    We had that 2 weeks ago when they first turned. :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017

Scott_P said:

Yes, the biggest argument for repeal of the ban is that it has pretty much no effect.
    Didn’t a free vote on Fox hunting tie up Blair’s administration for a ridiculously long time?

Personally I can think of plenty more pressing matters.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:
    I think I read that sideways .... as I just saw POO

And thought immediately of Mark Oaten.

Politics has twisted a part of my brain in a way that may never fully recover.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Scott_P said:

Didn’t a free vote on Fox hunting tie up Blair’s administration for a ridiculously long time?

Personally I can think of plenty more pressing matters.
    Probably not done thing they will cover at all in the campaign unless asked, in the town versus country battle they've already sown up the latter and won't provoke the former
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    Just out of interest, I doubt that anyone on here read my post yesterday re the latest Wales OP which also shows labour +4. Trend?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT will be gutted

@AgnesCPoirier: French media report third generation #LePen, MP 27year-old Marion Maréchal-LePen to quit politics. She finds her aunt Marine "too leftie"
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Just out of interest, I doubt that anyone on here read my post yesterday re the latest Wales OP which also shows labour +4. Trend?

You're almost certainly right.
    Nobody read it.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Oi! Kuensberg. No!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives win a big majority, there must be a good chance that the Foxhunting "Ban" (such as it is) gets overturned.

How does TMay view hunting? I hardly think that it would be her thing.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    chestnut said:

That is generally the case. LAB usually has more non-voters from previous elections

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Sean_F said:

As a vegetarian Conservative voter, I'm not too happy right now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    chestnut said:

Then they're not going to be voting now, I suspect
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Why? Do you think you'll be force-fed foxes?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,221
    Scott_P said:

SeanT will be gutted

@AgnesCPoirier: French media report third generation #LePen, MP 27year-old Marion Maréchal-LePen to quit politics. She finds her aunt Marine "too leftie"

The one common thread between the Corbynite leftists and the alt-right Souverainistes is that neither group actually seems to want the responsibility of government. They exist purely to spread discontent and poison the political process.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    welshowl said:

There was one a week ago with 48%

The 46% was two weeks ago.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017

chestnut said:

That is generally the case. LAB usually has more non-voters from previous elections

Between General Elections I can understand as 18+ voters register. But the EU ref was last year, not 4-5 years ago. There's only so many people who couldn't vote last year.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

No! I am the only vegetarian Tory in the PB Village!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,063

Sean_F said:

How does TMay view hunting? I hardly think that it would be her thing.
    I thought the whole point of this election was to enable May to free herself from the stifling yoke of her ideological wing. I think if anything she is probably toying with the idea to get extra energy from the headbangers.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

No, I care about animal welfare generally. Other people eating meat is one thing, killing animals for sport another.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Thought you voted Labour last time? You've switched?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464

welshowl said:

Thanks!
  • Options
    Jack Dromey campaigning with Eddie Izzard

Did they both get through All Women Shortlists?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Josias

The public ownership of railways is a great policy – and a vote winner. The problem defenders of franchising have is that a) why is it okay to nationalise railways in London and indeed to the French and German governments but not our own b) the public loathe the fact that they don't have one arse to kick when things go wrong. At least with TfL you know who to moan to. I won't go back into the cost debate, you and I have been there before and I admit that it's contentious. Suffice to say the perception – and indeed the suspicion – is that the taxpayer paid less when the railway was fully nationalised! The Southern debacle, and the rejection of Sadiq's bid to nationalise it into TfL – has given franchising and its defenders an even worse name than they had before.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Which is why the political pendulum swings.The broader the coalition, the harder it is to keep together. Hartlepool Leavers, the Turnip Taliban and the Stockbroker belt only have so many common interests.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Who is placing the bets?

Won't be doing Cooper any favours.

My 13 year old son lumped on her earlier.

I wasn't aware you had children?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,768
    Sean_F said:

The Nasty Party is back and chasing foxes.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

No, I care about animal welfare generally. Other people eating meat is one thing, killing animals for sport another.
    Are you sure you're a Tory? Next you'll be telling us you don't approve of baby-eating....
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    isam said:

"

But in a bid to play down the diplomatic row Mr Juncker said: “I get along fine with May. She’s a tough lady.” "

https://goo.gl/cF8rDK

Blatant attempt to influence the UK Election by putting in a good word for a politician on the centre-right. (Don't forget that Juncker is from a centre-right party himself.)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    Sean_F said:

I'm not sure about that. If it's a big majority, there'll be two categories of Tory MPs who might oppose change.

Firstly, those in urban / non-traditional Tory seats who don't really care much about the fox hunting issue but know that Labour will make hay with it locally if they support repeal or relaxation.

And secondly, those who oppose change on principle.

The world and the Tory party has moved on since this was a live issue in Blair's second term and I could see quite sizable numbers in both groups. I'd vote to keep the current legislation given the chance.

Between the Tory hunt opponents and the overwhelming majority of Labour, Lib Dem and SNP (if they don't take a tactical abstention) MPs, that might well be enough to keep the current status quo.

In any case, the status quo is a wonderfully British compromise whereby those opposed to fox hunting can pretend there's a ban and those in favour can pretend there isn't.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Um, that was only for "local" reasons! I was basically cheering every time a Labour bigwig lost their seat, and stayed up till 8 am!

Sunil means "blue"!
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

No trend - Tories up 1 Labour up 5. More likely the first poll with the 10 point gap was an outlier. The gap on the second poll was much bigger than for the locals.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

And no doubt the effects of a fox in a henhouse is just a different form of animal welfare. Foxes are not killed 'for sport' - they are killed because they are murdering pests.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

I don't think we Tories actually eat the foxes. Now babies..... :)
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Even by BBC standards, Kuensberg has a hugely inflated opinion of her opinion and her importance. She looks down at all politicians as a matter of routine and seems to think that being rude is the same as being effective.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Quite - most of the movement is probably just moe
  • Options

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Um, that was only for "local" reasons! I was basically cheering every time a Labour bigwig lost their seat, and stayed up till 8 am!

Sunil means "blue"!
    I stand corrected.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2017
    When's closing time for candidates to register?
    Edit- in English I mean when is cut off?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303

justin124 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Even by BBC standards, Kuensberg has a hugely inflated opinion of her opinion and her importance. She looks down at all politicians as a matter of routine and seems to think that being rude is the same as being effective.
    Do you really think so?

I don't find her too bad, to be honest.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Number of foxes killed per year compared to the number of animals killed for meat per year is...?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Don Valley Update

Hello everyone, and thanks for the many messages of support both on here and via other communication channels! Canvassing has been encouraging so far though there is a 9,000 vote mountain to climb.

A number of you have asked how to help or donate...

Help - locally or phone canvassing: sign-up here
    Donate: via Crowdfunder here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/aaron-bell-for-don-valley

If you are considering donating over £100 please let me know privately and we can take it via BACS. All donations over £50 will be checked against the electoral roll for eligibility.

For updates follow me on Twitter or like my Facebook page.

Thanks again.
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

And no doubt the effects of a fox in a henhouse is just a different form of animal welfare. Foxes are not killed 'for sport' - they are killed because they are murdering pests.
    If that is true, why not kill them humanely rather than terrifying and tormenting them first, disrupting sleepy rural places and getting horses*** everywhere in the process?
  • Options
    felix said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Um, some vegetarian baby-substitute for me, please :)
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Josias

The public ownership of railways is a great policy – and a vote winner. The problem defenders of franchising have is that a) why is it okay to nationalise railways in London and indeed to the French and German governments but not our own b) the public loathe the fact that they don't have one arse to kick when things go wrong. At least with TfL you know who to moan to. I won't go back into the cost debate, you and I have been there before and I admit that it's contentious. Suffice to say the perception – and indeed the suspicion – is that the taxpayer paid less when the railway was fully nationalised! The Southern debacle, and the rejection of Sadiq's bid to nationalise it into TfL – has given franchising and its defenders an even worse name than they had before.

The mark of a great policy isn't whether it's a vote winner, but whether it would bring benefits that outweigh the costs if implemented. Great policy isn't synonymous with great politics.

I'd also question the politics. The political problem with rail re-nationalisation is you might actually have to do it and run the damned thing, whereupon it turns from a cunning wheeze into a massive pain in the arse. The same is true with a lot of bright ideas - immigration quotas, referendums, that sort of thing.
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Number of foxes killed per year compared to the number of animals killed for meat per year is...?
    Yes, but animals taste yummy. ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. Essexit, the main other methods of killing all have problems too. Lamping has led to some people being killed, shooting can maim, leading to a lingering death, poison can also be very slow.

One suggestion raised the last time this came up was farmers having a couple of guard dogs.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Pulpstar said:

GE deposits should be upped to £100k, would bring in ~ £200 million + for the treasury if we have one a year.

No - because the number of people able to afford the deposit would shrink dramatically - they would be decimated (and I use that in the incorrect meaning - even though I think my great(^n) grandfather was a centurion pre BC.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think it more likely the ban is qualified.

It's interesting how those who were silent on Cameron's identical commitment in the GE2015 manifesto are now criticising May so vociferously for it.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225

Mr. Essexit, the main other methods of killing all have problems too. Lamping has led to some people being killed, shooting can maim, leading to a lingering death, poison can also be very slow.

One suggestion raised the last time this came up was farmers having a couple of guard dogs.

Can we not be creative and employ some mixture of space cannons, octo-lemurs, trebuchets and/or large haddocks to devise a fox termination strategy?
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, the space cannon is extremely effective, although it does tend to have a degree of collateral that the squeamish consider excessive.
  • Options
    @janinegibson: BuzzFeed News Has Been Denied Access To Campaign Events After Interview With The Labour Leader buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman…

https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/861972392851255296
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Really?! I thought one argument put forward by activists for hunts was how infrequently a fox is killed. If it's genuinely a pest control issue, why do it so inefficiently?
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

True, but trying to impose my views on what to eat on the rest of society is a non-starter.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Heh - I see on Guido there's a story of a student politician sending racist tweets in the past, and getting in trouble. All pretty standard stuff, but what gets me is the grovelling apology about being horrified and disgusted by them, and not begin representative of the views they hold now - again, pretty standard stuff, and one hopes it's all true - but what gets me is they say they have no recollection writing them. Now, I can buy not recalling writing specific tweets from years ago, but the type of comments were pretty direct and vulgar, and surely you'd be able to recall if you either used to be a racist, or were a fan of making racially offensive jokes? Like, does it matter if you call writing them, why even bring that up if you are not disputing you did and acknowledge you either used to be a racist or used to make offensive jokes? It just makes you look like you have a memory problem.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Sean_F said:

I think it more likely the ban is qualified.

It's interesting how those who were silent on Cameron's identical commitment in the GE2015 manifesto are now criticising May so vociferously for it.
    Maybe remove the possibility of a custodial sentence, however remote that may be.
  • Options

felix said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

You'll never be a proper PB Tory with that attitude.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    valleyboy said:

Margin of error maybe? This one too high, the previous one too low? The truth in the middle?
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, but animals taste yummy. ;)
    Young TSE: "Do you want a drink?"

Young Sunil: "Got any Quorn?"

Young TSE: "If you want!" (He also takes a bottle of meat from the fridge).

Young Sunil: "Meat...? Ugh!"

Young TSE: "It's what Ian Rush drinks."

Young Sunil: "Ian Rush?"

Young TSE: "Yeah, an' he says if I don't drink lots of meat, when I grow up I'm only gonna be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

Young Sunil: "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"

Young TSE: "Exactly!"
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225

Mr. Patrick, the space cannon is extremely effective, although it does tend to have a degree of collateral that the squeamish consider excessive.

Just add more powder. The 'pink mist' issue we had for Ed Balls was solved by first deep freezing him. For foxes don't freeze first and double the charge. 99.9% of the viewing public will fail to spot the supersonic pink mist emerging. Zero on the squeamometer.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The Nasty Party is back and chasing foxes.
    I have no moral or ethical hang ups about hunting.

Hunting is a perfectly normal human (and non-human) activity that has been going on for millennia, and is a strong strand of our cultural heritage in rural areas. As the many fox and hounds pictures and paintings in rural pubs and clubs show, one that many still feel a passion for.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Josias

Except the Southern debacle is a combination of factors: poor management, union interference, and engineering works (AIUI). There is zero guarantee that nationalised management would be any better than what we have now. In addition, if the unions win in their opposition to DOO, the passengers lose.

Also note that the one part of the railways that is currently failing in some ways is the nationalised part: Network Rail. Whilst its safety record is fantastic, its enhancements programs have not always been delivered on cost or on time (e.g. electrification schemes).

Currently, train operators return money to the state: £817 million in 2015/16. I'm far from sure that will still be the case if they're taken back into public ownership.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Do you really think so?

I certainly don't think she is worse than others in the rudeness stakes generally. I've not seen the clip, but I would be surprised if she came across as bad by interview standards, so will watch with interest. The top message of this quote chain says Corbyn 'implicitly' answered her question, and if that is the case, then it was totally on board to seem an explicit answer - the thing about implicit answers is not everyone clearly takes away the same message, which of course is part of the reason woolly, implicit answers are often given.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Agreed. I find her intolerable.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

If that is true, why not kill them humanely rather than terrifying and tormenting them first, disrupting sleepy rural places and getting horses*** everywhere in the process?
    What more humane way do you suggest?
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103

Presumably because they expected that the lifting of the ban was one of the things Cameron would have to scrap during the seemingly inevitable coalition negotiations with the sandal-wearing yoghurt knitters?

WillS
  • Options
    kle4 said:

felix said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

You'll never be a proper PB Tory with that attitude.
    Steady on - I'm actually supremely relaxed about fox-hunting!
  • Options
    That's a good list...

@janinegibson: Jeremy Corbyn now joins Donald Trump and Marine Le Pen on a list of political leaders who excluded @BuzzFeedNews in response to coverage

@IanDunt: Corbyn starts a fight with media outlet which treats him fairly & has a massive readership made up of demographic he is targeting.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, we were discussing hunting, not disposal/ejection from the atmosphere.

Hitting a fox isn't a problem. Not leaving a significant crater is...
  • Options
    @TomChivers: I mean, if a politician can't say words on tape without a journalist then writing the words down, how can the business of politics get done?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Josias

Except the Southern debacle is a combination of factors: poor management, union interference, and engineering works (AIUI). There is zero guarantee that nationalised management would be any better than what we have now. In addition, if the unions win in their opposition to DOO, the passengers lose.

Also note that the one part of the railways that is currently failing in some ways is the nationalised part: Network Rail. Whilst its safety record is fantastic, its enhancements programs have not always been delivered on cost or on time (e.g. electrification schemes).

Currently, train operators return money to the state: £817 million in 2015/16. I'm far from sure that will still be the case if they're taken back into public ownership.
    It was the private sector wot built the railways and pioneer London Tube lines in the first place.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That could be a bit of a break for Corbyn. If she can be persuaded to say that's her plan it's likely to swing a fair few votes. It's one of those defining issues that reminds people why they don't usually vote Tory. It's also got no downside. All pro hunters except Hoey are already Tory
  • Options

justin124 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Do you really think so?

Yes. But each to their own.
  • Options

Essexit said:

GeoffM said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

The why is the killing of them done via a sport/leisure activity?

If foxes should be killed as they are pests to farmers, I have no issue at all - I like how foxes look and I don't want animals to be killed if it can be helped, but I trust if farmers tell me they are pests they are correct, as they are the ones who would know - but if it is a serious matter of pest removal, why are we gathering up our local chums, dressing up and riding about having a jolly good time? Is that the most efficient way to do it? And even if it is the most efficient, why the dress up?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 759
    Moon set for big win in South Korea presidential election if not already posted.

It's a single round FPTP election and he is on 40%, over 13 points clear of Hong in second:

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/election/index.html

Live coverage is also available and is a very different style to anything I've seen anywhere else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7tgFI8Q9I
  • Options
    Delivered by a member of the elite...

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/861971371919912962
This discussion has been closed.