Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marine Le Pen goes into the final 2 days behind in every Frenc

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    edited May 2017
    Interestingly Lib Dem voters are more likely to have heard 'strong & stable':

Are there any campaign messages or slogans that you remember hearing the Conservative party use over the last week or two? If so, please write them in the box below.
    Strong & Stable:
    Con: 14
    Lab: 21
    LiD: 31
    UKIP: 7
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

David

I am no royalist but asking the monarch to carry on into her nineties is absurd. She should retire, as should he.

Her workload can and has been reduced, as is only right and proper, but she is and would still be the monarch - most indications are she swore an oath and intends to keep it, she feels that very strongly apparently, and it is not an issue of forcing her to keep going. Charles and the others are there to fulfill any obligations should she be unable.
    Ridiculous. She is 91. She should afford herself a bloody rest for crying out loud.
    I must admit that as a strong constitutional Royalist but without any particular affinity for the individual members, I think it is probably bad all round for her to carry on for so long. It puts her successor in a difficult position and I think causes unnecessary uncertainty and instability in the longer term. It is also clearly not in the interests of the Queen as an individual to be undertaking a fairly strenuous set of duties at her age.

Pope Benedict showed the way when he retired and I think it would be best all round if the Queen did similar.
    Quite right. Well put.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I expect a thread on this any moment now:

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?
    RIGHT: 46 (+3)
    WRONG: 43 (-2)

What when there's Brit fascists in Provence to condemn?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

kle4 said:

chi onwurah‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @ChiOnwurah

Congratulations to Prince Philip on retiring in financial security at time of his choosing from a job he enjoys #forthemanynotthefew #waspi

From a Labour MP...

Seriously, what's the point of a statement like that? I presume he's a firm republican and he shouldn't need to pretend otherwise even at such a time, but where'd the harm be waiting a bit before getting like htat?
    Chi is a she.

And it's a joke. Not a classic joke, but a joke nevertheless. I'm afraid it's not only the Left who are too quick to take offence in this country.
    I've never said otherwise, right wingers can be tremendous snowflakes (and nor is monarchism confined to the right so I don't know why you brought the left right axis up), and political compass says I'm a lefty in point of fact, but it is a political joke given the hashtag.

My rule of thumb on offense is would the person making the comment get uppity were the tables turned (I'm not sure what the opposite equivalent would be in this instance). That would depend on how much a sense of humour she has, which I do not know. You'll note I did not make any insult toward them at all.

The comment isn't a big deal in the slightest, nor is it funny, that's why I asked what was the point - the hashtag explicitly ties it to a current political campaigning issue, unnecessarily.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Congratulations to Prince Philip on retiring in financial security at time of his choosing from a job he enjoys #forthemanynotthefew #waspi

From a Labour MP...

What an utterly snide and unpleasant comment. Scumbag.
    There are times when it's best to put opinions to one side and either say something nice or nothing at all.

It's good to identify those who don't understand that, like Ms Onwurah. Those who 'celebrated' Margaret Thatcher's death are others.
    Who gets to judge when these "times" are?

I don't think the fact that PtG has suckled at the chafed nipple of the British tax payer for eight decades and is worth maintaining a solemn and respectful purdah.
    He is not Greek, and "sucked" - it's the mother that suckles; and they've been married 7 decades, not 8.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

CROSSOVER INCOMING!!!! ;)
    SNP is now largely ex SLab and all the Tartan Tories have flown home.
    Fortuitously we have an actual, full-size Scottish poll today.
    What's your prediction for the 1st preference split?
    Continued erosion of SNP and Scottish Tory renaissance, I guess.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    FPT

JenS Posts: 59
    8:52AM
    The Macron Le Pen debate was great television but then I like politics and I like boxing and I like football. It was much more exciting than bland scripted soundbites and the safety-first courtesies of our own election debates, and the zingers seemed spontaneous rather than the US-style crafted and focus grouped headline-chasers that English language politicians go for.

But the public didn't like it.

It's like PMQs. It's rowdy and the public hate it. They want everyone to get along. That's why "I agree with Nick" was so great for the Lib Dems.

The difference between the French debate and PMQs is that far fewer people watch PMQs.

Tony Blair realised that people prefer bland.

I agree with this. My own point of view from the debate last night was that Le Pen had performed better because she seemed to provoke Macron and get him agitated, and she had some of the better insults (though she went overboard on the smirking and sniggering). Macron found his feet in the second half somewhat as he began calling out her retorts. Neither cam out smelling of roses of course.

But then, I was watching it like a boxing spectator as you say, and with PMQs etc have become 'desensitised' to the kind of grubby slanging match we saw last night. France also has a much more formal political culture. So it's perhaps not surprising that Le Pen didn't win the post debate polls.
  • Options

chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

I dare say your request for a prediction will fall on pathetically selectively deaf ears.
  • Options

Are there any campaign messages or slogans that you remember hearing the Conservative party use over the last week or two? If so, please write them in the box below.
    Strong & Stable:

Given its repetition, that it is so low across the board is an indication how disengaged most people are.
  • Options
    Seen elsewhere, a Labour leaflet for Maidstone, which clearly wasn't proofread: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-vaXBVXoAEIxoG.jpg
  • Options

chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

SCON down from their heights but still well up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Strong & Stable:

Age (use of social media) and education?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

FPT

JenS Posts: 59
    8:52AM
    The Macron Le Pen debate was great television but then I like politics and I like boxing and I like football. It was much more exciting than bland scripted soundbites and the safety-first courtesies of our own election debates, and the zingers seemed spontaneous rather than the US-style crafted and focus grouped headline-chasers that English language politicians go for.

But the public didn't like it.

It's like PMQs. It's rowdy and the public hate it. They want everyone to get along. That's why "I agree with Nick" was so great for the Lib Dems.

The difference between the French debate and PMQs is that far fewer people watch PMQs.

Tony Blair realised that people prefer bland.

I agree with this. My own point of view from the debate last night was that Le Pen had performed better because she seemed to provoke Macron and get him agitated, and she had some of the better insults (though she went overboard on the smirking and sniggering). Macron found his feet in the second half somewhat as he began calling out her retorts. Neither cam out smelling of roses of course.

But then, I was watching it like a boxing spectator as you say, and with PMQs etc have become 'desensitised' to the kind of grubby slanging match we saw last night. France also has a much more formal political culture. So it's perhaps not surprising that Le Pen didn't win the post debate polls.

Context is also important.

I rewatched (though I was too young to vote) the Davis v Cameron debate for the leadership.

I thought Cameron won (though there was plenty of agreement), but spectators handed it to Davis. Why? Cameron sounded too much like Blair.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    felix said:

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?

What when there's Brit fascists in Provence to condemn?
    Plus an MEP has written an article saying he wants Le Pen to win, that's just the same as the POTUS telling us we'd be at the back of the queue.

Interfering busybodies!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thinking about the campaign and promises that the [ ] party have laid out so far at this election, which of the following do you think best applies to them?
    Con / Lab
    They have lots of policies that seem well thought through: 17 / 10
    They have lots of policies, but they don't seem very well thought through: 19 / 33
    They don't have many policies, but those they do have seem well thought through: 13 / 7
    They don't have many policies and those they do have are not well thought through: 18 / 20
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

From a Labour MP...

What an utterly snide and unpleasant comment. Scumbag.
    There are times when it's best to put opinions to one side and either say something nice or nothing at all.

It's good to identify those who don't understand that, like Ms Onwurah. Those who 'celebrated' Margaret Thatcher's death are others.
    Who gets to judge when these "times" are?

I don't think the fact that PtG has suckled at the chafed nipple of the British tax payer for eight decades and is worth maintaining a solemn and respectful purdah.
    An hour's courtesy does nto go amiss even toward those we dislike.
  • Options
    Dura Ace

Quite right. The monarchy and its hangers-on like Prince Pip can and should be as open to criticism and satire as everyone else. Loved Chi's tweet - great fun.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

David

I am no royalist but asking the monarch to carry on into her nineties is absurd. She should retire, as should he.

Her workload can and has been reduced, as is only right and proper, but she is and would still be the monarch - most indications are she swore an oath and intends to keep it, she feels that very strongly apparently, and it is not an issue of forcing her to keep going. Charles and the others are there to fulfill any obligations should she be unable.
    Ridiculous. She is 91. She should afford herself a bloody rest for crying out loud.
    I must admit that as a strong constitutional Royalist but without any particular affinity for the individual members, I think it is probably bad all round for her to carry on for so long. It puts her successor in a difficult position and I think causes unnecessary uncertainty and instability in the longer term. It is also clearly not in the interests of the Queen as an individual to be undertaking a fairly strenuous set of duties at her age.

Pope Benedict showed the way when he retired and I think it would be best all round if the Queen did similar.
    I think what is the back of her mind is a retirement of a monarch contributed to the early death of her father.
    Hadn't thought of that. Good point.
    I read a piece about twenty years ago on this.

Say The Queen retired in her 60s/70s, Charles might have popped his clogs from ill health(or say terrorism like in 1994 with that gun man) shortly after becoming King and William would have become King in his teens/early 20s.

She would have never wanted to put Prince William through that.

Retirement is effectively gambling on the longevity of your successor either through good health or other factors.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    IanB2 said:

Strong & Stable:

Lib Dem voters pay attention to political stuff shocker.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?
    That's hardly the point. MPs in safe seats generally get to "retire in financial security at time of their choosing from a job they enjoy". It's the snideness of the comment - the 'congratulations' - that grates.
    Screenshotted and emailed to Guido.

She'll take it down but its too late.
    A little OTT - if it has been a comment about how he'd been sucking on the public's teat and such, that might be more newsworthy, as it is it's just shake of the head territory.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Urban Areas (sample 1638)

Con 45 Lab 32 LD 10 UKIP 5 Nats 4 Greens 2
  • Options
    Taking everything into account, how good or bad an election campaign do you think the following have had so far? Net 'good':

Con: +17
    Lab: -28
    LibD: -17
    UKIP: -36
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

David

I think what is the back of her mind is a retirement of a monarch contributed to the early death of her father.
    I read a piece about twenty years ago on this.

Say The Queen retired in her 60s/70s, Charles might have popped his clogs from ill health(or say terrorism like in 1994 with that gun man) shortly after becoming King and William would have become King in his teens/early 20s.

She would have never wanted to put Prince William through that.

Retirement is effectively gambling on the longevity of your successor either through good health or other factors.
    Well Prince Billy is in his thirties now so plenty old and ugly enough to be king, so not really a barrier anymore.
  • Options
    This haranguing of people for Le Pen predictions is awfully reminiscent of the teasing of those who said Trump might win
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112

chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

Continued erosion of SNP and Scottish Tory renaissance, I guess.
    Och, you've gone all fuzzy & coy!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?
    That's hardly the point. MPs in safe seats generally get to "retire in financial security at time of their choosing from a job they enjoy". It's the snideness of the comment - the 'congratulations' - that grates.

Just remember, snitches get stitches.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819

LOL! Crossback Thursday? ;)
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Dura Ace

Quite right. The monarchy and its hangers-on like Prince Pip can and should be as open to criticism and satire as everyone else. Loved Chi's tweet - great fun.

People are definitely allowed to criticise and satirise the royals, people who act like they cannot are fooling themselves - they may just face negative public pressure as a result, which is not the same as them not being 'open' to criticism and satire, and people who act like it is are acting the victim.

Chi's tweet is unnecessary but very mild in tone, it's not funny but nor is it in 'scumbag' territory.
  • Options
    UnionD

Chortle.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! Crossback Thursday? ;)
    When it goes that way it is just margin of error.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

Why don't you write one and send it to OGH ?

• Options
    There is nothing wrong with asking people to forecast election results on a political BETTING site. Especially when the very same people who are running away from making said predictions are happy to dog whistle, and take applause if their vague dog whistling later proves correct.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Strong & Stable:

Not really - apart from a peak at 19 among the youngest its 14 or 15 across all age profiles.

It may be - given their propensity to switch - Lib Dem voters are paying more attention to other party's messages than other voters.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2017
    Spreadex's Tory and Labour GE Total Seats spreads have shifted quite significantly this morning with the Tories UP six seats at a mid-spread of 393 with Labour DOWN by six seats on 158 ..... I believe these represent new high and low points respectively.

Surprisingly, Sporting's spreads haven't yet moved and remain on a mid point 387 for the Tories and 164 for Labour, a difference of 6 seats, i.e. the full extent of the spread, between the two firms.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    On yesterday's Downing Street speech by Theresa May she has laid down a marker to the EU and those negotiating that she will 'call out' those who treat confidential meetings as a way to brief the discussion in an attempt to compromise one side. The attitude of 'leaking' is crass and counter productive, but more than that it will be a brave Eurocrat who continues to 'leak' on these negotiations. I would expect that Juncker has seen the inside of Downing Street for the last time

Theresa May is surprising many and yesterday must have put many votes in her column and at the same time allowed her to paint those rushing to criticise her including, Corbyn, Sturgeon, Farron, Cooper and others of siding with the EU against the British interest.

This is a toxic position for the opposition to be in at this stage of the GE and frankly I do not see a way out of it for them. Yesterday this GE turned into Theresa May v those who want to harm Britain, or as she will repeat ‘ad nauseum’, the 'coalition of chaos'

The further arrogance of the EU is to ban the PM from talking to anyone other than Barnier re the divorce. If they think the UK PM is about to absent herself from the discussions with the National Leaders of the 27 Country’s they are more deluded than even I thought they are.

Theresa May will still attend the Leaders meetings as a full member and it may well be uncomfortable for some of the leaders but any idea they will stay united against the UK is absolute nonsense. Tell that to the Irish, Dutch and Danes together with the alliance they have founded in the last week to act as a buffer between the power house of Germany and France.

I do not entirely rule out us walking away and putting the 100 billion to use but that is not my preferred option. However, no matter how this evolves Theresa May v Corbyn to lead the Country is just no contest and hopefully the Country will provide her with a good mandate. The one thing the EU cannot afford is to be seen as a bully against the 5th largest Country with a Prime Minister wishing it success and wanting a close working relationship.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112
    FF43 said:

I voted in the Council Elections. Scotland so single transferable vote system. At least I know who the Conservative candidate is, who seems a well-meaning guy even if he has strange views on climate change, which are probably harmless in a local government context. So he got my No. 1 vote. Further numbers randomly applied to other parties.

Did the candidate offer any policies specific to your locale, or was it just a vote for the individual (or the Union)?
    Not a rhetorical question, I have literally yet to see a single local policy offered by the SCons in their copious amounts of council election fluff.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

FPT

My own point of view from the debate last night was that Le Pen had performed better because she seemed to provoke Macron and get him agitated, and she had some of the better insults (though she went overboard on the smirking and sniggering). Macron found his feet in the second half somewhat as he began calling out her retorts. Neither cam out smelling of roses of course.

Despite the insults, there was a real clash of ideas about the direction France needs to go in to deal with the bad situation it is in. This was not consensus politics between a.n. other politicians. I think Macron succeeded on his tactics, which was to present Le Pen and her party as not nice people and unfit for office to voters who don't feel particularly compelled to vote FOR him. Mrs Le Pen made the job easy for him, which suggests she has written off this election and is setting Macron up to fail once he becomes president.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Dura Ace

People are definitely allowed to criticise and satirise the royals, people who act like they cannot are fooling themselves - they may just face negative public pressure as a result, which is not the same as them not being 'open' to criticism and satire, and people who act like it is are acting the victim.

Chi's tweet is unnecessary but very mild in tone, it's not funny but nor is it in 'scumbag' territory.
    Yes perhaps I over-reacted. Apologies. Still snide and unecessary though.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

You won't find a bigger defender of the monarchy than me.
  • Options
    Kle4

I found it mildly funny and quite incisive. Would it that normal people were able to retire in such feather beds. Pip is a great advertisement for the British Welfare State at its most lucrative though I guess.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

Cap doffer :)
  • Options

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Dura Ace

Not really.
  • Options
    YouGov - London;

Con/Lab:
    2-3 May: 38 / 39
    27/8 Apr: 30 / 45
    25/6 Apr: 36 / 36

So, there appears to be some evidence that the Tory 'swings' were the result of very bouncy London subsamples - notably this time round they didn't have to upweight the sample significantly (224>248) vs previously (126>193). So yes there may have been a 'bank holiday effect' - in London.
  • Options

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Dura Ace

No need to apologise, who hasn't gone OTT at times?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

Cap doffer :)
    We prefer to be called forelock tuggers, or fuggers for short. Damn those fuggers, they used to say.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Was there a link showing estimated declaration times tonight?
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    isam said:

This haranguing of people for Le Pen predictions is awfully reminiscent of the teasing of those who said Trump might win

But Trump (other than in the LA Times Morning Poll) was consistently 3-5 %ge points behind Clinton, rather than 20. And this was born out by the result - it was only the fact that he won the marginals due to a very fortuitous efficient voting pattern that enabled him to win.

At least it gives the 'liberal elite' (where's my sick bag) to actually support the winner of an election for once. Although how France will like it when forced to cough up another €2.5 billion a year to fund the EU is another kettle of fish (British-caught ones of course by then).
  • Options

First?

Were you ever known as Robbie and nicknamed "Syrup" at school ..... just wondering?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

We need a directly elected Monarch.

A question that's always bugged me for years

When we have a King in this country, their wives automatically become Queens.

So why didn't Prince Philip become King when his wife became Queen?

Is this everyday sexism in action?

Isn't it simply because, given inheritance down the male line until changed recently (#blamenickclegg), it was so uncommon for the monarch to be the Queen, that you could safely assume a reference to a Queen was to Queen Consort. Since a King Consort is unusual (although I believe the title has been conferred now and then), Prince Consort is more usual to avoid confusion. With the change in rules making a king or queen equally likely, check back in 200 years and it may well change. Indeed, there has been some talk of it changing for Kate in due course (and indeed Camilla may well not take the title for different reasons).
    For most of the last 250 years, the British monarch has been female.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

On yesterday's Downing Street speech by Theresa May she has laid down a marker to the EU and those negotiating that she will 'call out' those who treat confidential meetings as a way to brief the discussion in an attempt to compromise one side. The attitude of 'leaking' is crass and counter productive, but more than that it will be a brave Eurocrat who continues to 'leak' on these negotiations. I would expect that Juncker has seen the inside of Downing Street for the last time

Theresa May is surprising many and yesterday must have put many votes in her column and at the same time allowed her to paint those rushing to criticise her including, Corbyn, Sturgeon, Farron, Cooper and others of siding with the EU against the British interest.

This is a toxic position for the opposition to be in at this stage of the GE and frankly I do not see a way out of it for them. Yesterday this GE turned into Theresa May v those who want to harm Britain, or as she will repeat ‘ad nauseum’, the 'coalition of chaos'

The further arrogance of the EU is to ban the PM from talking to anyone other than Barnier re the divorce. If they think the UK PM is about to absent herself from the discussions with the National Leaders of the 27 Country’s they are more deluded than even I thought they are.

Theresa May will still attend the Leaders meetings as a full member and it may well be uncomfortable for some of the leaders but any idea they will stay united against the UK is absolute nonsense. Tell that to the Irish, Dutch and Danes together with the alliance they have founded in the last week to act as a buffer between the power house of Germany and France.

I do not entirely rule out us walking away and putting the 100 billion to use but that is not my preferred option. However, no matter how this evolves Theresa May v Corbyn to lead the Country is just no contest and hopefully the Country will provide her with a good mandate. The one thing the EU cannot afford is to be seen as a bully against the 5th largest Country with a Prime Minister wishing it success and wanting a close working relationship.

You're like Saddam's proaganda ministry. One good news story about the great leader follows anther.

Keep 'em coming Comical....
  • Options

We need a directly elected Monarch.

A question that's always bugged me for years

When we have a King in this country, their wives automatically become Queens.

So why didn't Prince Philip become King when his wife became Queen?

Is this everyday sexism in action?

Isn't it simply because, given inheritance down the male line until changed recently (#blamenickclegg), it was so uncommon for the monarch to be the Queen, that you could safely assume a reference to a Queen was to Queen Consort. Since a King Consort is unusual (although I believe the title has been conferred now and then), Prince Consort is more usual to avoid confusion. With the change in rules making a king or queen equally likely, check back in 200 years and it may well change. Indeed, there has been some talk of it changing for Kate in due course (and indeed Camilla may well not take the title for different reasons).
    For most of the last 250 years, the British monarch has been female.
    Too short a sampling period to be representative.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

FF43 said:

I voted in the Council Elections. Scotland so single transferable vote system. At least I know who the Conservative candidate is, who seems a well-meaning guy even if he has strange views on climate change, which are probably harmless in a local government context. So he got my No. 1 vote. Further numbers randomly applied to other parties.

Did the candidate offer any policies specific to your locale, or was it just a vote for the individual (or the Union)?
    Not a rhetorical question, I have literally yet to see a single local policy offered by the SCons in their copious amounts of council election fluff.
    Truthfully it was laziness on my part, not to investigate what each party proposes for the city. I know of the Conservative candidate who seems to be involved in local issues, which are a good reference for having his presence on the council. I vaguely know the Green candidate, but not much about him. There was just one candidate from the five main parties for a four member ward, which suggests most of the candidates are sitting members.
  • Options

If she dies in harness she doesn't have to witness the accession of Good King Charles, nor the shitstorm which I fear is going to accompany it. I also find that being in my mid-50s feels nothing like what I thought it would feel like in my 20s, and the same probably applies to the 50s to 90s gap.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

On yesterday's Downing Street speech by Theresa May she has laid down a marker to the EU and those negotiating that she will 'call out' those who treat confidential meetings as a way to brief the discussion in an attempt to compromise one side. The attitude of 'leaking' is crass and counter productive, but more than that it will be a brave Eurocrat who continues to 'leak' on these negotiations.

Because leaking is her job...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10884587/Theresa-May-must-apologise-for-breaking-ministerial-code.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

I think my profile pic tells you were my loyalties lie
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @MonikerDiCanio Just make a factual statement about what's going to happen, then claim to have backed the opposite side (making a tidy profit) if you're proved wrong
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    conscious I am not keeping up here

FPT personal view is that absence of Lib Dem surge is connected to absence of reporting on Lib Dems in press.

As for DofE, I think at over 90 he has earned retirement. Doesn't matter whether you support the monarchy or not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/all_2017_by_time.php
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

You're not a fan of mince pies, I take it?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:

The odds on this are still incomprehensible, last night was Macron's final fence and the horse 30 lengths behind laboured over it badly.

I'm amazed Le Pen's odds actually tightened after the debate!
  • Options

RobD said:

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/all_2017_by_time.php
    That's the one I was looking for, thanks!
  • Options
    May Best PM Slashed to +28

Who would make the Best Prime Minister:
    May: 49 (+1)
    Corbyn: 21 (+3)
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Kle4

I found it mildly funny and quite incisive. Would it that normal people were able to retire in such feather beds. Pip is a great advertisement for the British Welfare State at its most lucrative though I guess.

And I suppose the Government should raise the retirement age to 94. I suspect that if most people worked till they were 94, they would have the assets to enjoy a long and healthy retirement.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

Does YG stand for "Ye Gods"?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

He had to think very very carefully before deciding he shouldn't accept the crown himself - whether you believe it was religious conviction or the more republican army that swayed him or a combination - which shows that even he was not intrinsically opposed to the concept. Although of course very few in the civil war started out as republicans.
  • Options
    Roger said:

You're like Saddam's proaganda ministry. One good news story about the great leader follows anther.

Keep 'em coming Comical....
    Impressive engagement with the substance.

Are you a closet Nat?

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

The odds on this are still incomprehensible, last night was Macron's final fence and the horse 30 lengths behind laboured over it badly.

I'm amazed Le Pen's odds actually tightened after the debate!
    Yes. A neutral observer would say that Le Pen wiped the floor with Macron in the debate. Yet most of the media are announcing that Macron won. Which shows that infowar isn't only conducted by the alt-right.

Of course many who watched it and who thought Le Pen won will readjust their opinions in line with the "received" opinion. And they will think up reasons too. That's the kind of culture we live in. Many many psychological tests have shown this.

But the night is young.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Taking everything into account, how good or bad an election campaign do you think the following have had so far? Net 'good':

Con: +17
    Lab: -28
    LibD: -17
    UKIP: -36

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/survivor1.gif
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

Republicanism baffles me. Can you honestly look at the choices confronting the Austrians and the Americans last year and the French this year and tell me an elected head of state would be an improvement?
  • Options

On yesterday's Downing Street speech by Theresa May she has laid down a marker to the EU and those negotiating that she will 'call out' those who treat confidential meetings as a way to brief the discussion in an attempt to compromise one side. The attitude of 'leaking' is crass and counter productive, but more than that it will be a brave Eurocrat who continues to 'leak' on these negotiations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10884587/Theresa-May-must-apologise-for-breaking-ministerial-code.html
    Hm, not sure that proves anything since it is just a Labour MP claiming it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

You're not a fan of mince pies, I take it?
    Well I find them ok, I would have made for a terrible puritan.
  • Options
    Many people backed Trump at long odds thinking he would be a value loser. Ditto Brexit. And said so way before the elections took place. Posts can be checked. They are all there. I personally won't be betting on the French elections at all. Happy to say Macron will win by 10-15pts. Keen to hear from those who think Le Pen will win, but so far have been hit with a wall of complete silence.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

chestnut said:

YG Scotland Subsample

SNP 40 Con 37

Does YG stand for "Ye Gods"?
    Con: 37
    Lab: 15
    LibD: 6
    SNP: 40

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/dpzz1r8u3o/TimesResults_170503_VI_Trackers_with_Slogans_W.pdf
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    RobD said:

You don't think Fiona Cunningham's resignation following a leak investigation is significant?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @Big G

It is fascinating seeing your perspective through May tinted glasses.

First there is no conceivable way the UK will come out of this with a good deal. If it does, the other 27 members will pay close attention, and the EU will fall apart. Britain has to be punished for it's moment of populist folly otherwise the disease will spread and destroy the Union.

Second, the best person to get the deal must be someone who is capable of cultivating good relationships, socially adept, comfortable in their own shoes, jovial, humorous, diligent, hard working, reliable, intelligent, hard nosed, open minded, savvy, thick skinned, carries gravitas, able to compromise and empathise, pragmatic, charismatic.... Since we are leaving the EU the political affiliations of the person are much less important than their ability to strike a deal.

Since May carries few of the above, I would suggest it is in the UK's interests for her to remain as far away as possible.

David Davis is actually the best pic the Tories have as far as I can see. There could have been others, Osborne for instance, Mandelson another, Blair obviously, Cameron.....but May quite frankly needs to STFU because her interventions.... her control freakery, thin skin etc.... will be extremely damaging for the country.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

So, what do we think the Royal announcement is going to be? Meeting at 10am followed by public statement.

We know it isn't a Royal death or abdication, so:

Resignation or retirement of very senior aide
    Major public event announcement
    Harry's engagement to a divorcee
    Divorce of Charles or William
    Some boring internal reshuffle
    Selloff of part of the Estate

Any other possibles?

Phillip to retire?

Congratulations.

Does raise the question of whether he's setting a precedent for his wife. Yes, that'd be much more legally complicated but that'd be one reason why testing the water in this way might be a good idea.
    My thoughts exactly. He's an outrider for her in due course I reckon. Charles will fill in the gap he leaves in the meantime

And who can blame them? With William happily married with an heir and a spare, the succession is secure for three generations. I think most of the country would understand both of them stepping back.

Not a precedent. Victoria withdrew from public life for many years after her husband's death but was still Queen. That is certainly achieveable provided she is compos mentis
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

Republicanism baffles me. Can you honestly look at the choices confronting the Austrians and the Americans last year and the French this year and tell me an elected head of state would be an improvement?
    I do not feel strongly about our sort of monarchy, either for or against, but....

I do feel that having a hereditary position at the top of the UK social pyramid enshrines the whole upper class / middle class / working class thing which I am not convinced is good for the UK. Having said that I think over the last 50 years class divisions are breaking down and getting blurred compared to pre-1970s (ish)

Just my 2 €¢
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

May Best PM Slashed to +28

Who would make the Best Prime Minister:
    May: 49 (+1)
    Corbyn: 21 (+3)

Corbyn has tested the Labour Party close to destruction.

He has demonstrated that there is a hard core of around 20% Labour support that will weather any storm.

Lib Dems would give their left arm for such a 20% core vote.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Big G

It is fascinating seeing your perspective through May tinted glasses.

First there is no conceivable way the UK will come out of this with a good deal. If it does, the other 27 members will pay close attention, and the EU will fall apart. Britain has to be punished for it's moment of populist folly otherwise the disease will spread and destroy the Union.

Second, the best person to get the deal must be someone who is capable of cultivating good relationships, socially adept, comfortable in their own shoes, jovial, humorous, diligent, hard working, reliable, intelligent, hard nosed, open minded, savvy, thick skinned, carries gravitas, able to compromise and empathise, pragmatic, charismatic.... Since we are leaving the EU the political affiliations of the person are much less important than their ability to strike a deal.

Since May carries few of the above, I would suggest it is in the UK's interests for her to remain as far away as possible.

David Davis is actually the best pic the Tories have as far as I can see. There could have been others, Osborne for instance, Mandelson another, Blair obviously, Cameron.....but May quite frankly needs to STFU because her interventions.... her control freakery, thin skin etc.... will be extremely damaging for the country.

Agree that Davis would be a far better choice as negotiator. I loathe most of his politics, but he is at least affable. May is about as much fun as a fart at a cocktail party.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

TSE - you need a haircut.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

He had to think very very carefully before deciding he shouldn't accept the crown himself - whether you believe it was religious conviction or the more republican army that swayed him or a combination - which shows that even he was not intrinsically opposed to the concept. Although of course very few in the civil war started out as republicans.
    It was the army. Ingoldsby and Ireton had to talk him out of it by making it clear that he would lose control of the army if he accepted the crown. That would have been bad news for a military dictator.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    New feature in the Racing Post

They just tell you a horse will win, then when it doesn't they say it's ok cause they laid it

Good idea for a betting site?
  • Options

RobD said:

You don't think Fiona Cunningham's resignation following a leak investigation is significant?
    I was more talking about the headline. Was she found to have breached the code?
  • Options
    Some people have no grasp of insurance bets and value losers it would seem
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

Yes born to be Head of state is archaic in a democratic society.Having said that the current Queen has been excellent in her position but in future it might not always be the case.
  • Options
    "Dear Ishmael,

We’re writing to you with regards to your Betfair Sportsbook account.

Having reviewed your account, we are notifying you that your account will not be eligible for Betfair Sportsbook promotions, including Best Odds Guaranteed, in future.

We can assure you that this decision has only be taken after careful consideration and that it does not affect your ability to play on the Betfair Exchange and Betfair Gaming channels.

Kind Regards,
    Betfair Customer Services"

What is this about?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

Yes born to be Head of state is archaic in a democratic society.Having said that the current Queen has been excellent in her position but in future it might not always be the case.
    The fact that something strikes you as archaic doesn't make it a bad thing though. That's not an argument, it's a slogan.
  • Options

As does mine.

I'm a strong believer in egalitarianism.

As a working class Pakistani heritage kid from the North, I was taught if I worked hard at school and in life, I could have every opportunity in life, which has turned out to be very true.

But sadly, you and I can't be the head of state, I find that wrong, would you support the principle of hereditary Prime Ministers?

As someone with Republican tendencies, I reckon the best thing that will happen for the cause, is when Charles is King.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

It was the army. Ingoldsby and Ireton had to talk him out of it by making it clear that he would lose control of the army if he accepted the crown. That would have been bad news for a military dictator.
    That has always been my view, though I do not deride his religious convictions about what divine providence was saying, but he was a complicated man with some contradictory views which I think he struggled with, and the practical fact that the army would not wear it had to be persuasive, for all it was clearly viewed by the civilian interest as a better way forward.

We saw with Richard what happened when the person at the top of that pile had no sway with the military.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Strong & Stable:

I suspect that LibDems are more observant and have better memories, particularly compared with UKIP. I suspect LibDems heard the phrase and ground their teeth. I certainly did.
  • Options
    isam said:

New feature in the Racing Post

They just tell you a horse will win, then when it doesn't they say it's ok cause they laid it

Good idea for a betting site?

How do those tipsters on Twitter who claim to make money the vast majority of the time ("turn £5 in £100" etc) work anyway - is that a selective memory of bets... are they laying the same tips on the side?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

"Dear Ishmael,

We’re writing to you with regards to your Betfair Sportsbook account.

Having reviewed your account, we are notifying you that your account will not be eligible for Betfair Sportsbook promotions, including Best Odds Guaranteed, in future.

We can assure you that this decision has only be taken after careful consideration and that it does not affect your ability to play on the Betfair Exchange and Betfair Gaming channels.

Kind Regards,
    Betfair Customer Services"

What is this about?

It means you're a winner.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

I do feel that having a hereditary position at the top of the UK social pyramid enshrines the whole upper class / middle class / working class thing which I am not convinced is good for the UK.

The monarchy is solely about social deference. It is the top point of the social pyramid. Of course it should be abolished. It is no coincidence that one of the most snobbish and class-ridden national cultures in the western world should have a monarchy.

By the way, do you notice something about your use of the term "UK"? I realise you don't say that you don't think the monarchy is good for the UK, but it would be self-contradictory if someone did say that. I never call the country the UK. The UK is a political regime that I oppose. It is not the country, any more than the Fifth Republic is France. The country is Britain. No doubt there will be some responses now telling me I'm technically wrong. They will be written by monarchist logic-choppers.

Having said that I think over the last 50 years class divisions are breaking down and getting blurred compared to pre-1970s (ish)

It is just as impossible to join the elite as it always was. You can get some money, get patronised by them, go to some of their parties, you might even be able to marry them, but you can't join them.

And the proportion of children who attend private boarding schools is rising.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

I do not feel strongly about our sort of monarchy, either for or against, but....

I do feel that having a hereditary position at the top of the UK social pyramid enshrines the whole upper class / middle class / working class thing which I am not convinced is good for the UK. Having said that I think over the last 50 years class divisions are breaking down and getting blurred compared to pre-1970s (ish)

Just my 2 €¢
    Indeed, I agree. Whilst the disgusting situation of the upper class and idle rich of the first half of c20 has largely dissipated it lives on to an extent in the establishment. The class war was 'won' by the rich, and they live out their life of victory in quiet splendour and power.
    There is, however, a bubbling resentment that no amount of neo liberalism has ever truly washed away and the WC, like the South, will come again.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

From a Labour MP...

Is any of it not true?

As does mine.

Republicanism makes a great deal of sense, in many ways, it isn't inexplicable, but in a place with ceremonial heads of state my personal view is a hereditary one can work better.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Eagles, I'm surprised you want May to be head of state as well as head of government.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If I were in charge, I'd make it mandatory for customers to be able to see lifetime p&l and ROI on their site.

Any idea why this isn't done ?

I mean I know what it is for Betfair exchange but no idea with Ladbrokes for instance.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm surprised you want May to be head of state as well as head of government.

No, I believe we should have an elected head of state.
This discussion has been closed.