Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Firing the starting gun, Brexi

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

I'm a longtime PB reader, and was an occasional poster (back in the disqus days!), and now I'm back.

I've also been a longtime small-c conservative with an interest in politics but was never actively involved. No more.

Today my slowly simmering blood finally boiled.

The seething rage, hate and threats being directed toward the country I love by people who are now clearly & actively trying to damage it has caused me to sign up for a Conservative party membership.

The gloves are off and now is the time to actively support & campaign the only people with the will and the ability to defend the country I love!

I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing today!

Welcome (back) to PB. But I don't think you'll find many Tories on here though ... ;)
    Yes, one of the big flaws of PB is its lack of Tories. It's like finding a virgin in a brothel at times.
    We've got the widest range on PB - One Nation Tories, Classical Tories, Wets, Drys, Heathites and Thatcherites, the whole gamut. Something for everyone.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/screenalltv/status/859893662712508417

Macron crushing the post debate polls.

Which is nice...

I kind of expected that despite my own thoughts being that she won. In each debate so far I have not found Macron to be the winner, or to have been a bit disappointing, but he seems to win each time according to the post-debate polls so I must just be in the minority of Macron supporters who do not rate his debating skills.
    Who did herself indoors go for in the first round after all ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Pulpstar said:

Looks like my thread tipping Sion Simon will come a cropper.

THat'll mean Coventry Northwest going Tory in the GE at the very least.

North East was very very Brexity, if the Labour damn really breaks it could be close... (South looks like a forgone conclusion right now)

It's my tipping point.

Sion Simon wins = Tory majority of around 60 to 80.

Sion Simon loses = Tory majority of 100

Con win Tees Valley = Con Majority of 150 plus
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Has this poll been missed - http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W10470w2TablesForPublication020517.pdf

Con 47%
    Lab 30%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 5%

28 Apr - 02 May

I think it was shown earlier
    The 24%-30% range for Labour suggests that the pollsters are flailing about with all their adjustments.
    It's just MOE in reality. (Although that doesn't mean they aren't flailing)!
    Not really. The +/-3% MOE for most polls is supposed to be at the extreme (well, Ok, 95% of the extreme). Remember that the normal distribution of random sampling is humped in the middle. 24% and 30% are only MOE if the middle is 27%. Yet most of the polls are way off that level. This isn't just random error - there is some systemic error in at least some of the polls that the adjustments are either not correcting, or more probably are creating.
    Perhaps. We will see...I am not convinced either to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Has this poll been missed - http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W10470w2TablesForPublication020517.pdf

Con 47%
    Lab 30%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 5%

28 Apr - 02 May

The 24%-30% range for Labour suggests that the pollsters are flailing about with all their adjustments.
    Not really. The +/-3% MOE for most polls is supposed to be at the extreme (well, Ok, 95% of the extreme). Remember that the normal distribution of random sampling is humped in the middle. 24% and 30% are only MOE if the middle is 27%. Yet most of the polls are way off that level. This isn't just random error - there is some systemic error in at least some of the polls that the adjustments are either not correcting, or more probably are creating.
    The data collection method is not a probability based sample, quota, criteria and other methods are used. So the margin of error technically does not apply - and also since there can be no superior method to a true probabilistic method, in fact are lower bounds.

The true margin of error on any one poll is higher than the stated MoE.
    Technically true - although I don't think this helps that much with the debate. The technical adjustments are supposed to make up for deficiencies in the randomness of the sampling, and if done appropriately shouldn't introduce significant extra error. All the signs however point towards these adjustments being done, at least in some cases, in a way that is introducing error rather than correcting for it.

Although the statistics in the article were flawed, the data in Nate Silver's recent comparison of how bad the UK pollsters are versus those in the US (to which we can now add France) were instructive. For whatever reason our pollsters have a relatively poor long term track record.
    If you think about it logically, any adjustments can't reduce the potential error bounds, they can only increase. So if say C2s or Londoners need to be upweighted in a sample then the effective MoE simply must increase.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

So Farage is endorsing someone with some interesting views on the holocaust.

Views shared by many of your co-religionists, no doubt :lol:
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

FF43 said:

Farage for the fascist. The man is a c*nt

@Nigel_Farage: I want to see @MLP_officiel win on Sunday. She is the right candidate for Brexit Britain.

I'm supporting Marine Le Pen, and if she fails this year, she will win in 2022

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/supporting-marine-le-pen-fails-year-will-win-2022/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AnxB2DhJYnpm

Her aim, from today even before the election, is to discredit Macron so totally in the eyes of the French voters as a failed scion of the internationalist elite, that they will choose his anthesis, ie her, in the next election.
    Nah, yesterdays news come 2022. The Republicans will come up with a better candidate, and Macron will be the successful incumbent.
    Successful? That remains to be seen surely? We have to see if he gets MPs etc he can work with first.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

I'm a longtime PB reader, and was an occasional poster (back in the disqus days!), and now I'm back.

I've also been a longtime small-c conservative with an interest in politics but was never actively involved. No more.

The seething rage, hate and threats being directed toward the country I love by people who are now clearly & actively trying to damage it has caused me to sign up for a Conservative party membership.

The gloves are off and now is the time to actively support & campaign the only people with the will and the ability to defend the country I love!

Welcome (back) to PB. But I don't think you'll find many Tories on here though ... ;)
    Yes, one of the big flaws of PB is its lack of Tories. It's like finding a virgin in a brothel at times.
    We've got the widest range on PB - One Nation Tories, Classical Tories, Wets, Drys, Heathites and Thatcherites, the whole gamut. Something for everyone.
    Tories to the left of Guardian readers, Tories that vote Lib Dem...
  • Options
    daodao said:

TM should have kept her feelings under wraps; she has demeaned herself (and the UK) by her childish petulance today. This tweet from NS sums it up well "UK needs best possible Brexit deal and has limited leverage, so for PM to poison atmosphere for partisan reasons is deeply irresponsible". Car crash Brexit looms.
    We've been told that was already the most likely outcome, and the EU's position was set, indeed their hostile leaking indicated that. May's rhetoric will have had zero impact on any serious negotiations, since only fools would negotiate based off the remarks played for a domestic audience during an election campaign. As the EU are presumably not fools, it will have no impact on their position, therefore it cannot be a big deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Lots of Labour Tories as well
  • Options
    CaptainMattCaptainMatt Posts: 39
    daodao said:

TM should have kept her feelings under wraps; she has demeaned herself (and the UK) by her childish petulance today. This tweet from NS sums it up well "UK needs best possible Brexit deal and has limited leverage, so for PM to poison atmosphere for partisan reasons is deeply irresponsible". Car crash Brexit looms.
    Unless the noises coming out of EU HQ lately are purely playing to an audience (to influence UK and French elections) then there isn't going to be a deal. Or if there is a deal, on terms anywhere near those being talked about, then I'll be cancelling that shiny new Conservative party membership!
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Very inclusive, the PB Tory pack.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    I still think there might be some moves to get rid of Corbyn after tomorrow's results are announced, assuming they're very bad for Labour, ie. losing most of the mayoral contests, and failing to win a single county council.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

daodao said:

Unless the noises coming out of EU HQ lately are purely playing to an audience (to influence UK and French elections) then there isn't going to be a deal. Or if there is a deal, on terms anywhere near those being talked about, then I'll be cancelling that shiny new Conservative party membership!
    Joining up so you can later resign on principle?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Con 47%
    Lab 30%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 5%

28 Apr - 02 May

The data collection method is not a probability based sample, quota, criteria and other methods are used. So the margin of error technically does not apply - and also since there can be no superior method to a true probabilistic method, in fact are lower bounds.

The true margin of error on any one poll is higher than the stated MoE.
    Technically true - although I don't think this helps that much with the debate. The technical adjustments are supposed to make up for deficiencies in the randomness of the sampling, and if done appropriately shouldn't introduce significant extra error. All the signs however point towards these adjustments being done, at least in some cases, in a way that is introducing error rather than correcting for it.

Although the statistics in the article were flawed, the data in Nate Silver's recent comparison of how bad the UK pollsters are versus those in the US (to which we can now add France) were instructive. For whatever reason our pollsters have a relatively poor long term track record.
    Do we have a greater tendency to lie to pollsters? There was a recent poll where 2% of people who intend to vote UKIP at the next election thought that the leave vote was a mistake and should be reversed...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

I kind of expected that despite my own thoughts being that she won. In each debate so far I have not found Macron to be the winner, or to have been a bit disappointing, but he seems to win each time according to the post-debate polls so I must just be in the minority of Macron supporters who do not rate his debating skills.
    96-3 on that question is a bit amazing!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Given Macron is on 60% or so his supporters simply judged him best, it does not change much, it will still be around 60% to 40% which would still be the highest FN score ever in a presidential election even if Macron wins clearly
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope you are ok.

Are you doing ELBOW this time?

Thanks Ave it, the funeral's on Friday, but slowly coming to terms with his loss.

I already did ELBOW for week-ending 23rd April, and 30th April

30th April (9 polls):

Con 46.33
    Lab 28.11
    LD 10.22
    UKIP 6.67

Tory Lead: 18.22

23rd April (10 polls):

Con 45.50
    Lab 26.10
    LD 10.40
    UKIP 8.60

Tory Lead: 19.40
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

Hello Ave It.

Were you at Vicarage Road on Monday to see the finest goal to have been scored in the history of that ground?
    Hello TSE I was watching it in the pub!

Yes good goal but not overjoyed. We are not safe yet!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Who did herself indoors go for in the first round after all ?
    Macron. Strangely most of her friends voted Hamon. The only people in France to do so. She thinks that her mother and sister (Dupont-Aignan voters) and grandparents (all Fillon) will all go Macron. So, very few transfer votes for Le Pen if so.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Farage for the fascist. The man is a c*nt

@Nigel_Farage: I want to see @MLP_officiel win on Sunday. She is the right candidate for Brexit Britain.

I'm supporting Marine Le Pen, and if she fails this year, she will win in 2022

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/supporting-marine-le-pen-fails-year-will-win-2022/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AnxB2DhJYnpm

Her aim, from today even before the election, is to discredit Macron so totally in the eyes of the French voters as a failed scion of the internationalist elite, that they will choose his anthesis, ie her, in the next election.
    Nah, yesterdays news come 2022. The Republicans will come up with a better candidate, and Macron will be the successful incumbent.
    Most likely it would be Macron v Juppe but who knows. At this rate we could have invaded France by then!
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

LOL! Good to know :)

I'm somewhere to the right of Maggie :D

• Options
    AndyJS said:

I still think there might be some moves to get rid of Corbyn after tomorrow's results are announced, assuming they're very bad for Labour, ie. losing most of the mayoral contests, and failing to win a single county council.

The dream of many, but it is hard to see how they'd work up the courage (and though I think it'll be bad for them, I don't think it will be as bad as that scenario) or how it would even help much. He wouldn't go, not without a chance to fight the GE. and then they're stuck, in open warfare. As ridiculous as 'Vote for Labour but please know I dislike Corbyn too' is as a strategy, it's better than being openly at each others' throats en masse. At that point you are only going to vote Labour to save the brand, and as strong as it still is, that's a lot of faith to place in it.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Twitter is not France - just remember that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

That was Macron voters only
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

Hello Ave It.

Were you at Vicarage Road on Monday to see the finest goal to have been scored in the history of that ground?

Safe as a safe Labour seat such as Don Valley ?? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

BigRich said:

Whatever else one thinks of Mme Le Pen, what is undeniable is that her plan for France to run two parallel currencies makes Diane Abbott looks like a finance-minister-in-waiting.

Quite. The biggest issue for those in the Eurozone is, if you want to get out, how? It would benefit both Greece and Italy not to be in but I can't see a way to get out without enormous pain.
    However 'Odd' or strange a system, a country with more than one currency may sound, it does not mean that it is a bad system.

If you allow more than one currency and let Individuals and businesses chose which they want to use, them over time they will mostly chose the currency that is best for them. without the dramatic affects of an overnight swap.

If I could recommend any thing I would suggest just abolishing the concept of an official currency, It worked in 18th century Scotland and Canada up till 1913, if done today Bitcoin might become the preferred option. who knows. Just keep the government out of something as impotent as money!
    I know it's rude to point out typos, particularly when I rely on the computer to conceal my own idiosyncratic approach to spelling, but I love the idea of impotent money.
    The drachma, Zimbabwe dollar, Venezuelan bolivar ...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Of course Hillary won all 3 of her debates with Trump and still lost
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    foxinsoxuk

'The Republicans will come up with a better candidate, and Macron will be the successful incumbent.'

Macron will go the same way as Hollande who proposed some minor changes and was crushed by the French unions.

The French unions make UNITE look like a wimp.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

Thanks Ave it, the funeral's on Friday, but slowly coming to terms with his loss.

30th April (9 polls):

Con 46.33
    Lab 28.11
    LD 10.22
    UKIP 6.67

23rd April (10 polls):

Con 45.50
    Lab 26.10
    LD 10.40
    UKIP 8.60

Yippee! Crossover August 20th...wait a minute.
    Condolences on your Dad. Remember to take care of yourself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Would have won under French rules :p
  • Options
    MTimT said:

BigRich said:

Whatever else one thinks of Mme Le Pen, what is undeniable is that her plan for France to run two parallel currencies makes Diane Abbott looks like a finance-minister-in-waiting.

Quite. The biggest issue for those in the Eurozone is, if you want to get out, how? It would benefit both Greece and Italy not to be in but I can't see a way to get out without enormous pain.
    However 'Odd' or strange a system, a country with more than one currency may sound, it does not mean that it is a bad system.

If you allow more than one currency and let Individuals and businesses chose which they want to use, them over time they will mostly chose the currency that is best for them. without the dramatic affects of an overnight swap.

If I could recommend any thing I would suggest just abolishing the concept of an official currency, It worked in 18th century Scotland and Canada up till 1913, if done today Bitcoin might become the preferred option. who knows. Just keep the government out of something as impotent as money!
    I know it's rude to point out typos, particularly when I rely on the computer to conceal my own idiosyncratic approach to spelling, but I love the idea of impotent money.
    The drachma, Zimbabwe dollar, Venezuelan bolivar ...
    Sterling, post brexit?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Haven't seen the Momentum Tories yet, but no doubt they'll turn up some time around 9 June as the post-election purge proceeds.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Hello everyone. I'm obviously delighted to be selected and know that we have a very stiff - but doable - task ahead of us. More news to follow soon but I need to get some sleep as I'm knocking up in the constituency tomorrow and then attending the Mayoral count overnight. It will be interesting to see how we get on in the more Labour/UKIP parts. As someone said below, they are key. You have to ask people for their vote, especially when it's for the first time.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well from all parts of the political spectrum.

Congrats and good luck. Was great to chat at the drinks a few weeks back, don't forget us when you're rich and famous :)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

Hello Ave It.

Safe as a safe Labour seat such as Don Valley ?? .... :smiley:
    Don't jack! If we lose all our remaining games and Swansea win theirs we are down!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Haven't seen the Momentum Tories yet, but no doubt they'll turn up some time around 9 June as the post-election purge proceeds.
    I'm thinking of getting a Thatcher tattoo, just as an insurance measure for the Tory dystopia that awaits us.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

That was with Macron voters only, so not much of a surprise! They gave it as 63/34 overall.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Clinton wasn't 20 points clear of Trump 4 days before the election.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Clinton wasn't 20 points clear of Trump 4 days before the election.
    She was 3 points or so clear, and ended up err 3 points clear :)
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

30th April (9 polls):

Con 46.33
    Lab 28.11
    LD 10.22
    UKIP 6.67

23rd April (10 polls):

Con 45.50
    Lab 26.10
    LD 10.40
    UKIP 8.60

Good luck for Friday Sunil

My projection is:

CON 42
    LAB 28
    LD 10
    UKIP 8
    GRN 2
    SNP 4
    OTH 6

CON maj 70

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Macron's tactic, I think, was to say to the many non partisan voters, you may not know me or like me, but the FN are not nice or trustworthy people. I would say Marine Le Pen somewhat reinforced his point.

Despite the insults there were interesting ideas in that debate from both candidates about what France wants in these difficult times for the country.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

That was with Macron voters only, so not much of a surprise!
    12% of Le Pen voters thought Macron won...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

I'm thinking of getting a Thatcher tattoo, just as an insurance measure for the Tory dystopia that awaits us.
    :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Hello everyone. I'm obviously delighted to be selected and know that we have a very stiff - but doable - task ahead of us. More news to follow soon but I need to get some sleep as I'm knocking up in the constituency tomorrow and then attending the Mayoral count overnight. It will be interesting to see how we get on in the more Labour/UKIP parts. As someone said below, they are key. You have to ask people for their vote, especially when it's for the first time.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well from all parts of the political spectrum.

Congrats and good luck. Was great to chat at the drinks a few weeks back, don't forget us when you're rich and famous :)
    Debating on PB should be excellent preparation for political debate generally, and particularly the shenanigans of opponents and media figures attempting deflection, insult, obfuscation, whataboutery, insult again, classical warfare references, repetition, insult, gotcha questions and insult.
  • Options
    I can't understand why the LDs aren't doing better in the polls, especially with May being so unsympathetic to Con/LD floating voters. Very mysterious.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

That was with Macron voters only, so not much of a surprise!
    12% of Le Pen voters thought Macron won...
    Not far off the number of UKIP Remainers in some polls...
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

30th April (9 polls):

Con 46.33
    Lab 28.11
    LD 10.22
    UKIP 6.67

23rd April (10 polls):

Con 45.50
    Lab 26.10
    LD 10.40
    UKIP 8.60

Good luck for Friday Sunil

My projection is:

CON 42
    LAB 28
    LD 10
    UKIP 8
    GRN 2
    SNP 4
    OTH 6

CON maj 70

& Plaid to take every seat in Wales :p
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Hello Sunil

30th April (9 polls):

Con 46.33
    Lab 28.11
    LD 10.22
    UKIP 6.67

23rd April (10 polls):

Con 45.50
    Lab 26.10
    LD 10.40
    UKIP 8.60

CON maj 70

Almost dull, after the dizzying heights seen, but plausible.
  • Options
    walterw said:

foxinsoxuk

'The Republicans will come up with a better candidate, and Macron will be the successful incumbent.'

Macron will go the same way as Hollande who proposed some minor changes and was crushed by the French unions.

The French unions make UNITE look like a wimp.

French unions are oddly weak in terms of membership numbers - only around 8% of the working population compared with 25% in UK. They are just louder and more aggressive, and because they never had a Thatcher/Scargill moment, enjoy more rights and privileges than our ones do.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Elabe poll on who was most convincing in the TV debate:

overall: 63% Macron, 34% Le Pen;
    Mélenchon voters: 66% - 30%;
    Macron voters: 95% - 3%;
    Fillon voters: 58% - 38%;
    Le Pen voters: 12% - 85%;
    abstainers in first round: n/a
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I can't understand why the LDs aren't doing better in the polls, especially with May being so unsympathetic to Con/LD floating voters. Very mysterious.

Corbyn or May forced choice on who can negotiate Brexit better. Alot of Con/LD floaters won't risk Corbyn even if they think Brexit is utter mince.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Yes I guess if you are in the SWP or CPGB then Momentum are the Tories who sold their souls to mainstream politics. If that's the right phrase.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If the right podcast were up you could listen to the theories on that about 2/3 of the way through.

https://kpedley.podbean.com/e/polling-matters-episode-100-firing-the-starting-gun-brexit-rows-and-where-is-the-lib-dem-surge/
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Times YouGov poll

Con 48 (+4)

Lab 29 (-2)

LD 10 (-1)

UKIP 5 (-1)

Oh baby.
    Still below 20 point lead, no room for excitement there.
    According to my plots, the Tory share is flatlining at 47% (of course that depends where you measure the average). I'm looking forward to the ELBOW this week!

https://goo.gl/7cTbAf
    Tory lead in "freefall"!

ELBOW Tory lead week-ending 23rd = 19.4
    ELBOW Tory lead week-ending 30th = 18.2
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

And she had a few assists as well (didn't it cost a CNN 'reporter' her job?). Anyway - in the USA it is the States that ultimately select someone to preside over them. In France it is the people directly, in the UK it is Parliament.

It looks like the Labour vote distribution is going to be more like the Democrats than the Republicans - where previously it was vice-versa. The poll for Tees Valley Mayor rather reinforces this,
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

The latest Elabe poll has Melenchon voters splitting 44% Macron 23% Le Pen and Fillon voters 46% Macron 30% Le Pen so both Macron and Le Pen have improved their performance a bit though it will depends on who turns out, I expect a lot of Melenchon voters in particular will abstain

https://www.slideshare.net/contactElabe/intentions-de-vote-prsidentielles-vague-12
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So, well to the left of Theresa then...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

Yes I guess if you are in the SWP or CPGB then Momentum are the Tories who sold their souls to mainstream politics. If that's the right phrase.
    Even some fairly mainstream stuff says Corbyn is not really left wing, at least if the title is anything to go by (I'm not a subscriber)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/far-being-left-wing-radical-jeremy-corbyn-slouching-towards-milibandism

And apparently Mr Scargill thinks so too

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/arthur-scargill-jeremy-corbyn-isnt-left-wing-enough/

In fairness, his policies in many areas are not really his biggest problem. Inflexibility and ability are.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

daodao said:

We've been told that was already the most likely outcome, and the EU's position was set, indeed their hostile leaking indicated that. May's rhetoric will have had zero impact on any serious negotiations, since only fools would negotiate based off the remarks played for a domestic audience during an election campaign. As the EU are presumably not fools, it will have no impact on their position, therefore it cannot be a big deal.
    You're right of course. May's outburst had all the indications of a person under severe stress, facing the realisation that the "red, white and blue" Brexit she was looking for will be the worst of all for the UK economy and the population as a whole and is now looking to blame anyone but herself for this debacle.

There is no hatred of us by the Europeans, that only exists in the mind of Daily Mail readers and the "fruit loons and nut jobs" that thought voting Leave would improve things in the UK. Well, as you can now see and hear, it won't for at least a generation, but don't blame anyone but yourselves because you were told this would be the likely outcome before the vote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

And Republicans :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

Cyan said:

The latest Elabe poll has Melenchon voters splitting 44% Macron 23% Le Pen and Fillon voters 46% Macron 30% Le Pen so both Macron and Le Pen have improved their performance a bit though it will depends on who turns out, I expect a lot of Melenchon voters in particular will abstain

https://www.slideshare.net/contactElabe/intentions-de-vote-prsidentielles-vague-12
    Probably worth pointing out the question is who was the more convincing in the debate, not who you would vote for.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    AndyJS said:

Makes sense only if he wanted to go. Otherwise you'd have a party in open warfare coming up to the GE and no matter what some might think it isn't in open warfare now.

As it is, the locals may not be at the lowest end of the expectancy scale.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited May 2017
    Looks like the Telegraph online are comparing the €100bn demand to the Treaty of Versailles... :D
  • Options
    Brown got 29% and Miliband 30%. If Corbyn comes out with 28% (OK 27% adjusting for NI) then the case for him staying, in the eyes of his supporters, will there to be made....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Like most other places the extreme right in France aren't the brightest and are unlikely to be watching the debate or therefore to be judging it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    RobD said:

Looks like the Telegraph online are comparing the €100bn demand to the Treaty of Versailles... :D

So within in 30 years the UK will be split into two, and 4 countries will effectively occupy a war ravaged UK?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

And she had a few assists as well (didn't it cost a CNN 'reporter' her job?). Anyway - in the USA it is the States that ultimately select someone to preside over them. In France it is the people directly, in the UK it is Parliament.
    I think you'll find it is God who selects someone to preside over the UK, via royal genetics.

(Yes, I know you mean the PM)
    Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

I'm ae thing today!

We've beig deal.
    You're right of course. May's outburst had all the indications of a person under severe stress, facing the realisation that the "red, white and blue" Brexit she was looking for will be the worst of all for the UK economy and the population as a whole and is now looking to blame anyone but herself for this debacle.

There is no hatred of us by the Europeans, that only exists in the mind of Daily Mail readers and the fruit loons and nut jobs that thought voting Leave would improve things in the UK. Well, as you can now see and hear, it won't for at least a generation, but don't blame anyone but yourselves because you were told this would be the likely outcome before the vote.
    If we end up no deal, and that ends up as bad as it could, I will need to do a mea culpa, not that it will mitigate things at that point.
  • Options

RobD said:

So within in 30 years the UK will be split into two, and 4 countries will effectively occupy a war ravaged UK?
    You're missing the bit where we take over Europe to the Caucuses and Urals for a short while ...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They have said nothing so far to appeal to me (and I was willing to be wooed). It is all Brexit, and gay sex. I was there to be convinced, but I was a Corbyn/May remainer not a Europhile. Brexit will happen like it or not. Plus they have only Farron now. The days they could put Kennedy, Ashdown, Cable, Laws, etc. in front of the cameras are long gone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Brown got 29% and Miliband 30%. If Corbyn comes out with 28% (OK 27% adjusting for NI) then the case for him staying, in the eyes of his supporters, will there to be made....

Agreed. The party really will have been split from years of infighting, and they could argue at least somewhat credibly if he had been backed properly they could have built on that 28%.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Which is nice...

Macron's tactic, I think, was to say to the many non partisan voters, you may not know me or like me, but the FN are not nice or trustworthy people. I would say Marine Le Pen somewhat reinforced his point.

Despite the insults there were interesting ideas in that debate from both candidates about what France wants in these difficult times for the country.
    Yes, two very different (almost entirely opposite) visions for France. If nothing else the election certainly puts paid to the old argument of "they're all the same" -
    Trump/Clinton, Macron/Le Pen, Corbyn/May ; we've never had such diverging choices in leaders.
  • Options

RobD said:

Seems like if we're to be split we already have 4 discrete units for that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367
    Matt on form in tomorrow's Telegraph.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2017

Times YouGov poll

Con 48 (+4)

Lab 29 (-2)

LD 10 (-1)

UKIP 5 (-1)

I don't believe tories will get as high 48 nor do I believe labour will get 29....again that would have corbyn basically doing as well as brown and miliband. It just doesn't feel right at all.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

You're missing the bit where we take over Europe to the Caucuses and Urals for a short while ...
    Since June 23rd I've half written a thread which says Brexit is the greatest strategic blunder by a European country since Hitler abrogated the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and launched Operation Barbarossa.

I might finish it for this weekend.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Well in 2015 the Tories marmalised the Lib Dem vote, and it looks like they're keeping most of it. And in 2017 it'll be the UKIP vote that is marmalised and kept...
    Labour actually went up under Ed Miliband remember, I doubt Corbyn will keep that up.

Oh those halycon days of Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

It is all Brexit, and gay sex.
    This is probably the most inappropriate and off topic I have ever been, but my immediate thought was:

Take back control...Hard: A Brexit Porno

Probably an indication to sign off.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So, well to the left of Theresa then...
    Socially well to the left of Theresa, economically well to the right :D
  • Options

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Since June 23rd I've half written a thread which says Brexit is the greatest strategic blunder by a European country since Hitler abrogated the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and launched Operation Barbarossa.

I might finish it for this weekend.
    Except we are not the Nazis attempting to expand their empire but escaping one
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

The dream of many, but it is hard to see how they'd work up the courage (and though I think it'll be bad for them, I don't think it will be as bad as that scenario) or how it would even help much. He wouldn't go, not without a chance to fight the GE. and then they're stuck, in open warfare. As ridiculous as 'Vote for Labour but please know I dislike Corbyn too' is as a strategy, it's better than being openly at each others' throats en masse. At that point you are only going to vote Labour to save the brand, and as strong as it still is, that's a lot of faith to place in it.
    What's the point of being in politics if you don't have the courage to get rid of poor leaders?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

RobD said:

I thought the treaty of Versailles settled the first world war, and Germany's reparations. I am not aware of Germany being either "war ravaged" in the way it was in WW2 or partitioned and occupied.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

What's the point of being in politics if you don't have the courage to get rid of poor leaders?
    Well they did try, but in any case politics is about more than courage it is also about judgement. They showed very poor judgement getting themselves into this situation, but now the judgement is would trying, again, to oust him, at this moment, actually make things any better?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

Well, when we left European control before that is pretty much what happened:

https://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/britannia-a-failed-state.htm

The immediate post reformation century was pretty rough too...
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

Or within 15 years we will be governed by a dictator, within 21 years have invaded and conquered most of Europe and even if eventually defeated go on to become the largest European economy (though hopefully avoiding a second holocaust in the meantime)
  • Options
    So anyone who has ever been a member of UKIP, you were the enablers of fascism.

I hope you're all feeling proud of yourselves tonight.

I think that's what I'll do Sunday's thread on.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    AndyJS said:

Are they just seen as irrelevant? Farron isn't even prompted in "best PM" questions.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

This is probably the most inappropriate and off topic I have ever been, but my immediate thought was:

I assume that we've all seen the joy that is Chuck Tingle?
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I have now...and I can't unsee it!
  • Options

RobD said:

I thought the treaty of Versailles settled the first world war, and Germany's reparations. I am not aware of Germany being either "war ravaged" in the way it was in WW2 or partitioned and occupied.
    That's why I said 'within 30 years'

I'm from the school of history that says The Treaty of Versailles effectively caused WWII.

WWI was based on treaties, it is entirely given slightly different circumstances in WWI, we would have been one of the Central powers, whilst the Germans were one of the Allied Powers.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Are they just seen as irrelevant? Farron isn't even prompted in "best PM" questions.
    I'm starting to wonder whether he might lose his own seat in Westmorland.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    kle4 said:

daodao said:

The worrying thing about her remarks is that they show how she intends to approach Brexit politically - by sabre rattling and blaming the EU for everything that doesn't go her way. She could have, like some of her colleagues, laughed off the dinner leaks in public, had stern words in private and played off Juncker and the hardliners against other figures' desire for a deal. Colour me surprised, a politician has leaked conversations with the aim making themselves look good and justifying their position. It's what they do.

There's a real danger that she boxes herself and the EU into a situation where both us and them can't make a deal because it would involve losing too much politically. May because you can't put the jingoism genie back in the bottle - once you've set yourself up as the great protector of the nation against perfidious foreigners you can't compromise - or you put yourself on the wrong side of nationalism. The EU because it can't be seen to give in and undermine its rules at the behest of a member that's treated it with ill concealed hostility and those within the EU who were initially willing to accept a more beneficial deal are forced into the arms of the hardliners.

So far, our negotiations resemble the prisoner's dilemma, marching towards a very bad outcome for everyone due to the desire or each party to gain the jump on an adversary.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    dixiedean said:

Rhubarb said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I have now...and I can't unsee it!
    I can't bring myself to actually read it; the reality could never live up to the promise.
  • Options
    MJW said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

There's a real danger that she boxes herself and the EU into a situation where both us and them can't make a deal because it would involve losing too much politically.
    The EUs ever increasing demands show that we are not the only ones playing that game.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    Was the Commission's leaking diplomacy?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

That's why I said 'within 30 years'

I'm from the school of history that says The Treaty of Versailles effectively caused WWII.

WWI was based on treaties, it is entirely given slightly different circumstances in WWI, we would have been one of the Central powers, whilst the Germans were one of the Allied Powers.
    The Rhineland was occupied for a while and demilitarised for longer. Bits like the Saar had a forced referendum on which country they wished to be in. Poland was given the Danzig corridor. So the OP is not strictly accurate to say there was no partition or occupation. Nevertheless the key ravaging was economic, since the burden of reparations was immense.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I'm starting to wonder whether he might lose his own seat in Westmorland.
    Both Farron and Lamb are vulnerable.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I think SeanT finds aspects of Hard Brexit arousing certainly
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,016
    RobD said:

I wonder where the exit treaty will be signed. I'm sure the EU has a symbolic place in mind.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:
    Was the Commission's leaking diplomacy?
    As it says in the article, it most probably was about internal German politics and little to do with the UK.
  • Options

RobD said:

I wonder where the exit treaty will be signed. I'm sure the EU has a symbolic place in mind.
    If we get to that point that implies we've actually been able to negotiate something, and that things may be more cordial.
This discussion has been closed.