Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s locals strategy takes a knock as it loses more of

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s locals strategy takes a knock as it loses more of the seats won in May

It might be August but it’s been a big night of by-elections with PC having an easy victory in the Ynys Mon Welsh Assembly contest and UKIP losing both the county council seats that had been gained three months.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ukip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry about that outburst.

I was just thinking about a suitable short response when stopped by the Border Force .... I'm all prepared in frontline Harpenden !!
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I can't help feeling this is a bit unfair to Kippers. Their councillors have been discovered doing naughty things or whatever and so have been found out very shortly after their election. If they'd had longer in post - perhaps a base would've been established another could have worked up from.

We never used to pay much attention to ward level results in all the yrs I've been reading PB - why do we talk about them so much now?

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,462
    FPT:
    Mildly amusing Ashton piece here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23514483

BBC chap marvels at how amazing she/the EU is, the comments are filled with people annoyed that she was unelected and that she and the EU are unaccountable.

On-topic: not too surprising. They've been out of the news for a bit, and the Conservatives seem to be getting their act rather more together.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Plato said:

I can't help feeling this is a bit unfair to Kippers. Their councillors have been discovered doing naughty things or whatever and so have been found out very shortly after their election. If they'd had longer in post - perhaps a base would've been established another could have worked up from.

We never used to pay much attention to ward level results in all the yrs I've been reading PB - why do we talk about them so much now?

We have always talked about council by election results on here . Sean Fear used do a weekly thread on the results .

Mr. T, Mr. Hayfield's pre-results piece yesterday afternoon suggested it was a place where mysterious and unexpected electoral results were commonplace.
    SeanT said:

Is there something I don't know about Anglesey? That looks like a spectacularly bad performance by Labour?

Labour run Wales. Nuff said.

IIRC Mr Farage made some comment about the sacked dinner lady and the Muslim pupil/pork story but it didn't get much coverage. I think his point was about PCness but I may be mistaken.

The previous story re Rotherham fostering got loads of traction and no doubt helped to raise their profile.

That they're falling back a bit is what I'd expect - the media are also a bit bored of talking them up - we had a whole month of it around the LE's in May.

FPT:
    Mildly amusing Ashton piece here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23514483

BBC chap marvels at how amazing she/the EU is, the comments are filled with people annoyed that she was unelected and that she and the EU are unaccountable.

On-topic: not too surprising. They've been out of the news for a bit, and the Conservatives seem to be getting their act rather more together.

You used to talk about local council results. And when did @Sean_Fear last do a regular Friday thread?

Plato said:

We have always talked about council by election results on here . Sean Fear used do a weekly thread on the results .

Plato said:

"Fear On Friday" - Happy days.

BTW Mark as our resident numismatic genius might you be able to give me a ball park figure for a James II touchpiece in decent but far from mint condition ??

Incidentally, I'd still lay Alonso to be top 3 at 1.49 or thereabouts (in the title race). His performances aren't quite as good as last year, Raikkonen and the Lotus are very reliable, and Hamilton/Mercedes seem to be improving at a rapid pace.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,369
    "For some it did not help that Lady Ashton seemed bent on empire-building, assembling an expensive diplomatic service. Some begrudged the expense. Others saw it as a classic Brussels play: get the bureaucracy in place first, and the power and influence will follow."

UKIP couldn't have penned the article better themselves.
    It's been a long while since you penned an Against The Grain article - have you officially retired now?
    JackW said:

Plato said:

BTW Mark as our resident numismatic genius might you be able to give me a ball park figure for a James II touchpiece in decent but far from mint condition ??

SeanT said:

Is there something I don't know about Anglesey? That looks like a spectacularly bad performance by Labour?

Yep , Labour lost 40% of their vote share from last time , Conservatives lost 70% .The reality is that personality of candidates is of much more importance in Ynys Mon than elsewhere . Having " The Druid " as their candidate last time gave them a vote share boost of perhaps 7 or 8 %
  • Incidentally, I'd still lay Alonso to be top 3 at 1.49 or thereabouts (in the title race). His performances aren't quite as good as last year, Raikkonen and the Lotus are very reliable, and Hamilton/Mercedes seem to be improving at a rapid pace.

You're ignoring the blatant favouritism shown towards Ferrari by the F1 authorities. Alonso will almost certainly finish within the top three.

• NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I wouldnt read much into the loss of these seats for UKIP. If you win elections you never expected to you'll find out that some of your candidates have dodgy pasts. Expect a few more skeletons to emerge from closets over the next few months. It would be the same for any other party in the same position. And by-elections are always more of a challenge for small parties because they are up against the entire operation of the bigger parties rather than the split efforts they can put in on the main election day. Clearly UKIP have been falling back as the coverage dies down a bit, they'll be back in force next year for the Euros.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2013
    @Plato

From the very early days of PB Sean Fear, who has become a good friend and is now my solicitor, used to do a good weekly round-up of the local by-elections.

Then other sites started covering these in depth but that waned and earlier in the year I invited Harry Hayfield to write a weekly preview.

Because of other commitments Sean F was unable to continue with his weekly piece but there's a long-standing invitation from me to write a column whenever he sees fit.

This came at a time when UKP was moving forward and since then there have been a lot of developments.

PB gets a very good audience Thurs night/Fri morning and I seem to attract a lot more Twitter followers.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

Plato said:
    I always thought of Wales as quite a LD powerbase - wrongly or rightly, but it seems to have fallen away. What's going on over there?

I thought a recent comment by another PBer about the *managerialism* of Welsh Labour vs their more *mafia* type colleagues in Scotland was fascinating.

@Plato:

At Westminster level the LDs hold 3 seats: Cardiff Central (Maj. 4,576 over Labour), Brecon -part of Powys (Maj: 3,747 over Cons) and Ceredigion (Maj.8,324 over Plaid).

At WA level, they were the junior partner in the Coalition with Labour at the first assembly, and since then have lost their way even with their newish leader. (1999: 6 seats, 2003: 6; 2007: 6 and 2011: 5).

At Council level, LDs in the country areas have lost way to PC and Cons, but the scene is confused as for example Powys (mainly Montgomery & Brecon) and Ceredigion have a lot of Independent Councillors, as in Ynys Mon.

In Wales, LDs were more old-fashioned Liberal than LD and the personality and character of the incumbent can count for a lot at election time. However, they have been accused of being Labour's moll (when Labour needs them) and many people are uncertain what they stand for, whereas both PC and Cons are more finite in their policies - even if you do not like them.
    JackW said:

Plato said:

Hi Jack . Does the touchpiece have the usual piercing for suspension ?
    Miss DiCanio, I'm not so sure.

Yes, Ferrari International Assistance may help, but if the car can't qualify well and is fourth fastest when it comes to race pace then he won't be able to finish in the top 3. Raikkonen and Hamilton are no slouches.
    @Plato

A minor flirt with mortality and Mrs JackW put paid to "Against The Grain".

However I'm hopeful that suitably bribing the powers that be .... No not Mike Smithson but God and Mrs JackW will allow me to pen the odd missive as the GE looms.
    @Financier - many thanks, I find it very interesting but have zip local knowledge and we've few Welsh posters to regularly share what's going on.

The arguments seem to end up being a fight between SNP and England - with Wales barely mentioned. I still can't think of a single SLAB poster - Mr Pork comes closest as he spends a huge amount of time rubbishing the Tories but poses as SNP.

JackW said:

Plato said:

Yes. The definition is good with just acceptable appropriate age related rubbing.

Miss Plato, I thought it was SNPers who pretended to be Scottish Labour, not the other way around? :p
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Plato said:

Yes. The definition is good with just acceptable appropriate age related rubbing.

Is it a silver one or a gold one ?

@Plato

From the very early days of PB Sean Fear used to do a good weekly round-up of the local by-elections.

Then other sites started covering these in depth but that waned and earlier in the year I invited Harry Hayfield to write a weekly preview.

Because of other commitments Sean F was unable to continue with his weekly piece but there's a long-standing invitation from me to write a column whenever he sees fit.

This came at a time when UKP was moving forward and since then there have been a lot of developments.

PB gets a very good audience Thurs night/Fri morning and I seem to attract a lot more Twitter followers.

Mike:

Harry's pieces are most informative - especially for those of us who do not know the political history of the locality.

Also find TSE's summary of the day on Nighthawks (with clickable links) very useful, as often I can only view PB very early am, lunchtime and later pm.

Heartfelt thanks to both and please may they continue.

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364

tim,

"the PB Tories who believe black coffee was banned in London in the 80's can clear it up for us"

This sounds a bit unlikely to me. Obviously, you'll have the links, but could you name and shame them, please? Otherwise, some people (not me) might consider that you're indulging in what my granny used to call "a little romancing."

Miss Plato, I thought it was SNPers who pretended to be Scottish Labour, not the other way around? :p

Ha! I read some pathetic justification from the SNP last night that it shows how broad their support is... WTF? They're SNP councillors posing as reps of another rival party. That's taking sockpuppeting to a whole new level.
    Miss Plato, presumably it means their support is wide enough to include blatant liars?
  • Miss Plato, I thought it was SNPers who pretended to be Scottish Labour, not the other way around? :p

Haven't you come across Mick Pork's ambiguous commentary ?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    OT:
    The main point of the by-elections for UKIP was that though it lost 2 very precarious seats the UKIP share of vote held up, and in fact went up in places. This trend belies the latest national polls.
    Miss DiCanio, I'm afraid that pleasure has eluded me.

JackW said:

JackW said:

Plato said:

Is it a silver one or a gold one ?

Gold. I already have a James II silver one.

edited August 2013
    I'll be giving AQ a miss later - I can imagine the discussion already. I think Nick Robinson is in the Chair.

In the chair for Any Questions tonight with Michael Howard, Paul Boateng, Owen Jones and Isobel Hardman
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Plato said:

OK , a Gold one around £ 1,500 , a silver one around £ 300 . There is a silver in a Lyon and Turnbull auction in Edinburgh later this month

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,345
    tim said:

Depends what you think the point of UKIP is, to win power or to move the Tories to the right, on the latter they are succeeding.

If they move the Tories economically to the right while Dave holds firm socially then they will have done everyone a service.
    edited August 2013
    @NickPalmer

I did not have time to do the YouGov supplementaries today as I was in the office at 5.30am responding to our Far East clients.

In at that time, as this week and next, we have clients visiting us from eastern Europe. However, as the office is 20metres from the beach they have decided to bring their families with them. So from about 11.00 am we have young children (who speak no English) demanding paper and pens, and dipping into the biscuit barrel and fruit bowl. They are very well-behaved but a distraction.

As long as it is fine weather, they (children and mums) happily depart to the beach, after taking them to the ice cream stall, with a hamper, whilst we talk business.

So at present it is quiet time before the onslaught begins.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

Depends what you think the point of UKIP is, to win power or to move the Tories to the right, on the latter they are succeeding.

If they move the Tories economically to the right while Dave holds firm socially then they will have done everyone a service.
    And if they poll up to 10% and cost the Tories the next general election they'll have done Labour an even bigger service! ;)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2013
    Just flicking through the last few threads and came across two very interesting posts.

Those who thought Richard Nabavi had taken hyperbole as far as it would go describing Osborne as "the near perfect chancellor" will be delighted to know he managed to raise the bar even further. He described SeanT's Telegraph blog (the familiar Muslim's are rapists and murderers) as "a journalistic masterpiece"!

The second was from Fitilass who thought Toby Young had been treated shabbily by Stella Creasy because there was nothing wrong with a bit of gender banter!! (I had to check it really was Fitilass)

DELETED BY MODERATOR
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited August 2013
    Plato said:

Ha! I read some pathetic justification from the SNP last night?

Try to grasp the truth for once instead constantly of parroting pitiful CCHQ spin for the tories.
    Central to the attack was an image published on the group’s Facebook page last year. You can see it in full below, and you’ll understand what we mean by “in full” shortly.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/lfifb1.jpg

The caption attached to the picture is unambiguous, but we’ll add emphasis anyway: “Lab4Indy in Killie today campaigning alongside Yes East Ayrshire“.

The picture was actually taken by one of the Yes East Ayrshire campaigners in question. He tweeted it on his personal Twitter account the same day, 15 December

The picture was actually taken by one of the Yes East Ayrshire campaigners in question. He tweeted it on his personal Twitter account the same day, 15 December:

https://twitter.com/Graham_W_Barton/status/279978208135352321

You’ll have noted the caption, but again we’ll add some emphasis for extra clarity: “Big thanks to @labourforindy for attending todays EastAyrshire @YesScotland stall.”

So the facts couldn’t be clearer: absolutely nobody was pretending that everyone in the picture was a Labour For Independence campaigner. It was explicitly and publicly stated, in numerous locations, seven and a half months ago, that the image showed LFI helping out at a Yes Scotland stall with Yes campaigners.

Barton tweeted other images at the time which allow no room for doubt:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/barton2.jpg

So it’s mystifying that bad-tempered, emotionally-fragile Scotsman columnist Euan McColm could have been sufficiently confused as to publish a shock-horror report on right-wing blog ThinkScotland yesterday in which he revealed something everyone had already known since 2012 – that some of the people in the first pic were Yes Scotland campaigners, not Labour For Independence ones.

(Assuming, as apparently we’re being asked to do, that the bright blue “Yes” t-shirts they were wearing hadn’t already rather given the game away.)

People at a Yes campaign stand wearing Yes t-shirts were in fact Yes campaigners, he went on to drop an astonishing bombshell: that a lot of people in the Yes campaign are also in the SNP.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/running-scared/
    @Financier

TBH, I thought @NickPalmer's comment was a bit off. It's not your job to provide any data about anything.

If he wants to share it with us - he can.

There is a tendency for a few PBers to complain that others don't post about X - well they can do it themselves and save us all the pixels moaning about why AN Other didn't do it first.
  • Plato said:

I still can't think of a single SLAB poster - Mr Pork comes closest as he spends a huge amount of time rubbishing the Tories but poses as SNP.

ajohnstone, oldlabour...?
    Hmm. I'm not sure this statement from the African Union is one that fills me with confidence in them:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23546050

"Zimbabwe's presidential and parliamentary elections were "free, honest and credible", the African Union observer mission's head has said."
    Neil said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

And if they poll up to 10% and cost the Tories the next general election they'll have done Labour an even bigger service! ;)
    They're not getting anywhere near 10%, I would say 4-7% is about right. And some of those will be refugees from the very wonderful and forward looking Labour Party so not quite as clear cut.
  • Plato said:

I'll be giving AQ a miss later - I can imagine the discussion already. I think Nick Robinson is in the Chair.
    In the chair for Any Questions tonight with Michael Howard, Paul Boateng, Owen Jones and Isobel Hardman

Plato what could be wrong with having 50% of the panel made up with Labour party people? That is the BBC idea of balance. Chaired by the infamous GB toenails.

Plato said:

I still can't think of a single SLAB poster - Mr Pork comes closest as he spends a huge amount of time rubbishing the Tories but poses as SNP.

I consider @OldLabour to be a bit of an international chappy rather than a stalwart. @ajohnstone is an omission by me, well spotted. I assumed he was more SNP.

JackW said:

JackW said:

Plato said:

OK , a Gold one around £ 1,500 , a silver one around £ 300 . There is a silver in a Lyon and Turnbull auction in Edinburgh later this month

Cheers Mark.

I've been offered the gold one privately from another collector at an as yet undisclosed price.

I noted that auction. The condition is good but my silver one is really very good indeed. I tend not to replicate but will buy an improved piece.

I especially covet a Henry IX gold piece. I'll bag one eventually !!

Thanks again for the advice.

Hmm. I'm not sure this statement from the African Union is one that fills me with confidence in them:

"Zimbabwe's presidential and parliamentary elections were "free, honest and credible", the African Union observer mission's head has said."

The BBC correspondent (from Harare) put it well. He said: "imagine you woke up after the General Election and the Conservatives had won every seat in Scotland...."
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    LDs in Wales were originally non-conformists with their strength in rural Wales but over the years have lost this voter base to Plaid, although retaining this support in English speaking Powys. More recently and much like England they have built up a student base in places like Cardiff Central and Ceredigion, but which will be heavily hit by their flip-flop on student fees. They have also built up a middle class vote in many suburban seats, but which is not strong.

So in Wales I expect LDs to lose the student seats of Cardiff Central - to Lab - and to Ceredigion - to Plaid - but should just hang on in Brecon. But I also expect them to lose generally across the board and only retain a single regional seat, leaving a grand total of 2 WA seats.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    SeanT said:

uk pmi construction @ 57.0

That's massive. Boomtime data. The economy might be about to really motor. Which changes everything.

That'll be Osborne killing construction.... oh wait...
    edited August 2013
    Plato said:

Mr Pork comes closest as he spends a huge amount of time rubbishing the Tories but poses as SNP.

I can hardly be held responsible for inept tory spinners so staggeringly stupid and incompetent that they don't seem to realise the tories aren't popular in scotland and that labour doesn't have a monopoly on opposition to them.

Way, way before the PB 'brain trust' suddenly realised there was somewhere called Falkirk, and labour had extremely dodgy practices, some of us were highlighting the ongoing SLAB infighting and the battle for control between the Blairites and the Brownites involving the likes of wee Dougie and Murphy. So you'll forgive me for treating idiot posts on a subject you clearly know nothing about with vast amusement. :)

Plato said:

They're SNP councillors posing as reps of another rival party. That's taking sockpuppeting to a whole new level.

This from the self-proclaimed "serial labour voter" who spends all their time ineptly spinning for Cammie and ranting about lefties. Good thing you don't have a tory Financier sponsoring your witless spin, isn't it?

Unspoofable. ;^ )

edited August 2013

Plato said:

Plato what could be wrong with having 50% of the panel made up with Labour party people? That is the BBC idea of balance. Chaired by the infamous GB toenails.
    It just looks so predictable. Boateng will end up in a long and tedious smug argument about racist vans with Howard, Crosby will be mentioned ad nauseum and Jones will overtalk everyone else. Isobel will get 20secs of applause and largely be ignored.

Note none of the panel are elected reps of the HoC. Howard is a Lord, Boateng got to be a Big Wig in Africa via Tony, Jones is the BBC's pet and Isobel is the token indy journo.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    tim said:

CD13 said:

tim,

"the PB Tories who believe black coffee was banned in London in the 80's can clear it up for us"

This sounds a bit unlikely to me. Obviously, you'll have the links, but could you name and shame them, please? Otherwise, some people (not me) might consider that you're indulging in what my granny used to call "a little romancing."

I'll maybe do it for you later

Well, it's not as if you have anything better to do with your time, is it now?

I heard one political commentator say this morning that the scale of the electoral fraud was such that Mugabe had managed the electoral equivalent of the Conservatives sweeping all of Scotland.

Yes that bad !!!!!

• SeanT said:

According to the BBC "Welsh Labour threw everything they had at this campaign, believing they could make a battle of it with Plaid for the seat that would have given them a majority in the assembly. "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-23506132

So even after throwing the proverbial kitchen sink Labour went backwards. Was it their infamous ground game that tim boasts about? Based on a common conclusion by some on here, this does of course mean that the 2010 Lib Dem voters will deliver for Ed Milliband a Labour majority in 2015 and that the LDs 1% of the vote also means that they keep all 3 of their Welsh MPs.
    PS Is the moon made of green cheese?

Plato said:

Why must you sully inept tory spin with the facts and the truth? For shame! ;^ )

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,068
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That's massive. Boomtime data. The economy might be about to really motor. Which changes everything.

The economic news dwarfs the latest votes from Meaningless Ward South.

Some of the data we're getting now suggests UK growth might be accelerating MUCH faster than anticipated. To 2, 3, or even 4 percent.

If that happens, Cameron wins in 2015, I think.
    He'll need to put some cash back in people's pockets first, but if growth has kicked in that becomes a lot easier.
    @TCPoliticalBetting

Cripes - I missed that kitchen sink bit. And yet they got schooled.

A thread on Welsh Labour for GE2105 would be fascinating. All the horror stories re the NHS and education must be having an impact.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,418

ASJohnstone can speak for himself but I doubt he's Labour of any sort. SLAB ain't Old Labour, and I'd guess Old Labour aint SLAB

We can be sure you're tone deaf (like so many here) about Scottish politics though.
  • Mick_Pork said:

Plato said:

Mr Pork comes closest as he spends a huge amount of time rubbishing the Tories but poses as SNP.

I can hardly be held responsible for inept tory spinners so staggeringly stupid and incompetent that they don't seem to realise the tories aren't popular in scotland and that labour doesn't have a monopoly on opposition to them.

Way, way before the PB 'brain trust' suddenly realised there was somewhere called Falkirk, and labour had extremely dodgy practices, some of us were highlighting the ongoing SLAB infighting and the battle for control between the Blairites and the Brownites involving the likes of wee Dougie and Murphy. So you'll forgive me for treating idiot posts on a subject you clearly know nothing about with vast amusement. :)
    Plato said:

They're SNP councillors posing as reps of another rival party. That's taking sockpuppeting to a whole new level.

This from the self-proclaimed "serial labour voter" who spends all their time ineptly spinning for Cammie and ranting about lefties. Good thing you don't have a tory Financier sponsoring your witless spin, isn't it?
    Unspoofable. ;^ )
    Mr Pork I gladly concede that the Conservatives are not making progress in Scotland but are just treading water. I have been saying that from the start of Ms Goldie's time, even before they appointed her pseudo daughter. The Scottish Lib Dems are clearly dying, except in the eyes of the LDs. But Mr Pork, how about sharing some insights into how well SLAB will do in GE 2015? How many GE seats will SNP gain from SLAB? Fighting Mrs Rab C Nesbit cannot be a hard battle?
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Some of the data we're getting now suggests UK growth might be accelerating MUCH faster than anticipated. To 2, 3, or even 4 percent.

It's the highest jump in THREE years. After a longish tail - its really picked up - the good weather will also have had an impact.
    Penddu said:

LDs in Wales were originally non-conformists with their strength in rural Wales but over the years have lost this voter base to Plaid, although retaining this support in English speaking Powys. More recently and much like England they have built up a student base in places like Cardiff Central and Ceredigion, but which will be heavily hit by their flip-flop on student fees. They have also built up a middle class vote in many suburban seats, but which is not strong.

So in Wales I expect LDs to lose the student seats of Cardiff Central - to Lab - and to Ceredigion - to Plaid - but should just hang on in Brecon. But I also expect them to lose generally across the board and only retain a single regional seat, leaving a grand total of 2 WA seats.

@Penddu:

I expect Mark Williams to retain Ceredigion - he markedly increased his majority in 2010 over a weak PC candidate. Among the farming community, the PC AM does not appear to very popular and is nigh invisible a lot of the time.

However, it is possible that LD could hold on to Brecon - depends whether incumbent stands again. Agree with you on Cardiff Central.
    Joe Lynam BBC Biz @BBC_Joe_Lynam
    25,717 personal insolvencies in England & Wales in Q2 2013, down 6% on the same time last year
  • Plato said:

@TCPoliticalBetting
    Cripes - I missed that kitchen sink bit. And yet they got schooled.
    A thread on Welsh Labour for GE2105 would be fascinating. All the horror stories re the NHS and education must be having an impact.

I agree that this would be worth some attention Mr Smithson OGH!
    With the LDs in Wales likely to lose 2 of their 3 MPs, the two parties that have any chance of gains from Labour in Wales are PC and the Conservatives. Probably PC have the better chance, but are PC able to lay into Labour on the NHS?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,869
    Plato said:

Ha! I read some pathetic justification from the SNP last night that it shows how broad their support is... WTF? They're SNP councillors posing as reps of another rival party. That's taking sockpuppeting to a whole new level.
    That from someone who could not pick Scotland out on a map is a real laugh. Stick to trying to make Tories sound human
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

He'll need to put some cash back in people's pockets first, but if growth has kicked in that becomes a lot easier.
    Not sure that's true. In 2015 he just needs to say Look, we've got strong growth, falling unemployment, a falling deficit (which follows from good growth), are you really gonna let Labour, under Ed Miliband and Ed Balls, the men who bankrupted us the first time, cock it up all over again?!

That's a very powerful, simple story to sell. And hard to counter.

But it depends on the recovery sustaining and strengthening. Big if.
    Agreed and with Crosby involved there is a better chance of a coherent campaign than in 2010.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,418

Is that similar to those who claim not to be Tories, but whose considered, objective analysis always ends up lauding Cam & Co? A few of them here.
    edited August 2013
    There are times when Twitter makes me LOL

peterb @purpleline
    Ed Balls placed on suicide watch as more economic good news from the UK hits his holiday dacha #PlanAworked Even Royal Baby named after him

SeanT said:

According to the BBC "Welsh Labour threw everything they had at this campaign, believing they could make a battle of it with Plaid for the seat that would have given them a majority in the assembly. "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-23506132

So even after throwing the proverbial kitchen sink Labour went backwards. Was it their infamous ground game that tim boasts about? Based on a common conclusion by some on here, this does of course mean that the 2010 Lib Dem voters will deliver for Ed Milliband a Labour majority in 2015 and that the LDs 1% of the vote also means that they keep all 3 of their Welsh MPs.
    PS Is the moon made of green cheese?
    Strange that you have not even mentioned the Conservative performance losing 70% of their vote share and dropping to 4th from 2nd .
    Anyone who has been following the by election would know that Labour certainly did not throw everything including the kitchen sink into the campaign . The whole campaign was very strangely pretty much low key and it was clear early on that Plaid were going to win if not by such a large margin .

Mr. Divvie, assuming that's a slightly unsubtle dig at my good self, no.

Some people who claim not to be Tories have consistently criticised the greenist way of Cameron, the Defence cuts, the ring-fencing of Health and Aid spending. Those same people have not pretended to be members of Labour against global warming, or suchlike.
    And how is the EZ fairing?

Markit Economics @MarkitEconomics
    Eurozone June PPI 0.0%m/m (RT poll 0.0%), +0.3% y/y in line with reuters forecast - Eurostat
    @SeanT

The big unknown at Ynys Mon was which way the very large number of Independents' supporters would vote. It would appear that they threw in their lot with PC or UKIP. They have 14 seats to 12 for PC at the 2013 Council elections and 32% of the vote.

Labour have 3 seats and 17% of the vote and probably another scion of a previous Welsh politician was not the most popular choice.
    Shocked, not. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/01/comic-relief-donation-ugandan-charity

"Comic Relief has called in Charity Commission investigators over concerns of possible fraud relating to a £450,000 donation to a Ugandan charity.

It is understood up to £200,000 of the donation, given by the British public via Comic Relief to the Ugandan charity the Busoga Association UK, is unaccounted for or is the subject of possible abuse.

It is alleged that £50,000 of the grant was used to pay for consultants to make the bid for a donation from Comic Relief – an extremely high amount for such consultancy work, according to those familiar with the case.

Some people who claim not to be Tories have consistently criticised the greenist way of Cameron, the Defence cuts, the ring-fencing of Health and Aid spending. Those same people have not pretended to be members of Labour against global warming, or suchlike.

MD, methinks you are barking up the wrong tree, it was very clear who it was aimed at , a serial labour voter who spins for the Tories does not suggest your good self to me, but it is obvious who it is.
    malcolmg said:

MD, methinks you are barking up the wrong tree, it was very clear who it was aimed at , a serial labour voter who spins for the Tories does not suggest your good self to me, but it is obvious who it is.
    Nick Palmer ?
    tim said:

Biggest rise in construction for three years, ie since Osborne killed it.
    What a shame that three years had to happen

Yup

malcolmg said:

Nick Palmer ?
    Alan, First letter of second name is correct, but I can see why you would confuse the two????
    edited August 2013

Mr Pork I gladly concede that the Conservatives are not making progress in Scotland but are just treading water. I have been saying that from the start of Ms Goldie's time, even before they appointed her pseudo daughter. The Scottish Lib Dems are clearly dying, except in the eyes of the LDs. But Mr Pork, how about sharing some insights into how well SLAB will do in GE 2015? How many GE seats will SNP gain from SLAB? Fighting Mrs Rab C Nesbit cannot be a hard battle?

I've covered this many, many times before and yet for some bizarre reason you keep asking the same question after I answer it. The simple fact of the matter is that nobody can proclaim with any certainty on 2015 because of the Independence Referendum. Yes or No it's an unprecedented factor and nobody knows how the scottish VI will shake out after it it. I would strongly advise looking at what limited data we have on VI for 2015 and basically using that as a guide because it will at least give a good insight into the vote share the likes of the scottish lib dems and SCON are likely to get. The referendum won't change their VI very much so you are basically looking at the remaining SNP/SLAB split and allocating whatever number you fancy onto the current figures.

The scottish subsample from ICM's most recent poll showed

SNP 40%
    Labour 30%
    Conservatives 18%
    Greens 6%
    Liberal Democrats 3%
    UKIP 1%
    Others 2%

While the latest Holyrood VI shows

Constituency vote

SNP 48% (+3)
    Labour 30% (-)
    Conservatives 13% (-)
    Liberal Democrats 4% (-1)

Regional list vote

SNP 48% (+3)
    Labour 25% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (-)
    Greens 6% (-)
    Liberal Democrats 4% (-2)

The scottish subsample is of course an imperfect tool and you can't draw a straight line between Holyrood and Wesminster VI. Yet it's abundantly clear that the scottish lib dems are in deep, deep trouble while there is still no sign whatsoever of any supposed scottish tory surge. It's not very unreasonable to suppose that there is an SNP lead for 2015 at the moment though the size may be somewhat less than that indicates. You have to use your judgement on the core vote for the SNP and SLAB to then factor in how the Referendum will hit either party yet an overwhelming lead for either in 2015 is doubtful. Holyrood, maybe for the SNP. More unlikely at the GE because of the tory fear factor and a return to a two horse race with labour and the tories

• FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Not sure that's true. In 2015 he just needs to say Look, we've got strong growth, falling unemployment, a falling deficit (which follows from good growth), are you really gonna let Labour, under Ed Miliband and Ed Balls, the men who bankrupted us the first time, cock it up all over again?!

That's a very powerful, simple story to sell. And hard to counter.

But it depends on the recovery sustaining and strengthening. Big if.
    Using the Tory Grandees to sell that story on telly will also be a good move, I think. Getting the likes of Heseltine, Major and Portillo on the news underlining the achievements would work: people like hearing from the veterans; the like the gravitas and experience. Equally, the LIb Dems would do well to get Ashdown and Kennedy and Campbell in front of the cameras too.

It would also be funny, because Miliband would then have to call on his own grandees. Blair perhaps? Or Brown? I think you could rule out any strong backing from Reid or Jowell or Blunkett or Hutton. Maybe he could call on Kinnock and Livinsgtone to sell his message.

Seriously, I think this is an angle the Tories and Lib Dems could use to trump Labour. And make Miliband look a little isolated.
    Mick_Pork said:

Fighting Mrs Rab C Nesbit cannot be a hard battle?

I've covered this many, many times before and yet for some bizarre reason you keep asking the same question after I answer it. The simple fact of the matter is that nobody can proclaim with any certainty on 2015 because of the Independence Referendum. Yes or No it's an unprecedented factor and nobody knows how the scottish VI will shake out after it it. I would strongly advise looking at what limited data we have on VI for 2015 and basically using that as a guide because it will at least give a good insight into the vote share the likes of the scottish lib dems and SCON are likely to get. The referendum won't change their VI very much so you are basically looking at the remaining SNP/SLAB split and allocating whatever number you fancy onto the current figures.

The scottish subsample from ICM's most recent poll showed

SNP 40%
    Labour 30%
    Conservatives 18%
    Greens 6%
    Liberal Democrats 3%
    UKIP 1%
    Others 2%

While the latest Holyrood VI shows

Constituency vote

SNP 48% (+3)
    Labour 30% (-)
    Conservatives 13% (-)
    Liberal Democrats 4% (-1)

Regional list vote

SNP 48% (+3)
    Labour 25% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (-)
    Greens 6% (-)
    Liberal Democrats 4% (-2)

The scottish subsample is of course an imperfect tool and you can't draw a straight line between Holyrood and Wesminster VI. Yet it's abundantly clear that the scottish lib dems are in deep, deep trouble while there is still no sign whatsoever of any supposed scottish tory surge. It's not very unreasonable to suppose that there is an SNP lead for 2015 at the moment though the size may be somewhat less than that indicates. You have to use your judgement on the core vote for the SNP and SLAB to then factor in how the Referendum will hit either party yet an overwhelming lead for either in 2015 is doubtful. Holyrood, maybe for the SNP. More unlikely at the GE because of the tory fear factor and a return to a two horse race with labour and the tories

What was the Scottish subsample in last night's Yougov

Lab 41% Con 21% SNP 15% LD 14%

Sub samples are not an imperfect tool , they are useless .

• AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2013
    Recent (22 July) YouGov for Wales (Westminister)
    Lab 48 Con 23 Plaid 9 LD 8 UKIP 8

Assembly Constituency poll has Labour with a wide lead with Con and Plaid neck and neck.
    Assembly List voting intentions have Lab and Plaid neck and neck.

But Welsh nation wide polls are not the perfect tool.
    Plato said:

@TCPoliticalBetting

tim said:

@MarkSenior/SeanFear

The Ribble valley result looks unusual, who was the independent an ex Tory?
    Can't imagine Nigel Evans travails will have made that much difference

The Independent is an ex UKIP member and former UKIP candidate involved in the local residents association .He is best described as a NOTA where the above includes UKIP
    The EU still trying to put us in their straight -jacket:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292188/Now-Brussels-wants-hold-elections-SUNDAYS-bring-Britain-line-rest-Europe.html

Now they want us all to vote as the lemmings vote; off the cliff.
    tim said:

CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 55s
    Ukranian student accused of murdering grandfather during anti-Muslim terror campaign will stand trial in January.

Whose immigration status would David Cameron be checking first?

But tim all immigration is good isn't it ?
  • I remind you that at midday we will get Labour Euro lists.

So with Con, Lab, LD, SNP and Plaid done we can predict half of the elected MEPs. When UKIP finish its process, we could know 2/3 of the winning candidates without waiting for May 2014.
    Strange , Yougov have corrected last night's poll figures . They are now giving Con 34 Lab 40 LD 11 UKIP 10
    edited August 2013

It was the ICM subsample not YouGov which is why I quoted it but still gave the caveat.

Given that there is such limited data to work with it is not unreasonable to include the ICM subsample along with the Holyrood VI as long as that caveat is given

Either way anyone who thinks the lib dems are not in deep, deep trouble in scotland has their head up their arse, and not JackW's infamous one. ;)

@Fenster
    "Using the Tory Grandees to sell that story on telly will also be a good move, I think. Getting the likes of Heseltine, Major and Portillo on the news underlining the achievements would work: people like hearing from the veterans; the like the gravitas and experience."

More likely these so called grandees would put them off and vote UKIP.
    Major comes over as a wimp nowadays, Heseltine looks what he he is; tired and used up and Portillo is #sadmanonatrain.
    @MickPork wrote :

"Either way anyone who thinks the lib dems are not in deep, deep trouble in scotland has their head up their arse, and not JackW's infamous one. ;)"

.................................................................................

Infamy, infamy .... The Scot Nats have got it infamy !!
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    tim said:

Ukranian student accused of murdering grandfather during anti-Muslim terror campaign will stand trial in January.

How many lefties were secretly disappointed it wasn't a white Brit I wonder? We'll never know
    Mick_Pork said:

It was the ICM subsample not YouGov which is why I quoted it but still gave the caveat.

Given that there is such limited data to work with it is not unreasonable to include the ICM subsample along with the Holyrood VI as long as that caveat is given

Either way anyone who thinks the lib dems are not in deep, deep trouble in scotland has their head up their arse, and not JackW's infamous one. ;)

Well you could have given the Comres Scottish subsample

Lab 41 SNP 33 Con 9 LD 13

or for completeness the Populus one as well

Lab 39 SNP 36 Con 13 LD 11

tim said:

OK

PB Tory false memory syndrome

London in the 80's

Baa Baa Black sheep was banned
    Black coffeee was banned
    Black bin liners were banned
    References to manhole covers were banned.

Other race based

Immigrants use cats to stay in the country
    Black children were restricted to playing oil drums in school music lessons
    St George flag was banned for fear of upsetting Muslims
    England football shirts banned at school for fear of upsetting immigrants.

1994 World Cup was played

With larger goals
    In front of half empty stadiums
    In quarters for US TV
    With adverts obscuring half the screen

The Trade Union ones legion, too legion to mention

Must be more

You are making a fool of yourself

http://youtu.be/COt65HZCJaA
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    MikeK said:

@Fenster
    "Using the Tory Grandees to sell that story on telly will also be a good move, I think. Getting the likes of Heseltine, Major and Portillo on the news underlining the achievements would work: people like hearing from the veterans; the like the gravitas and experience."

Major comes over as a wimp nowadays, Heseltine looks what he he is; tired and used up and Portillo is #sadmanonatrain.

I think you need to realise that swing voters don't necessarily view the political scene the way that right-wingers or UKIP voters do.

Heseltine, a pro-European, would appeal to the middle-ground voters the Tories need to attract in the marginals. He and Portillo certainly wouldn't be attractive to UKIP.

My point is, grandees can be useful in a campaign, and the Tories may well have an advantage here in that Major and Heseltine and co will hugely back Cameron, whereas Miliband will struggle to get the equivalent support.

edited August 2013
    @isam

The more I see these posts - the more entertained I am. When Labour's online activists are reduced to such nonsense, they've nothing substantive to say.

When their party makes a hit that changes polling for more than a fortnight - I'll pay attention.
  • Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    tim said:

OK

PB Tory false memory syndrome

London in the 80's

Baa Baa Black sheep was banned
    Black coffeee was banned
    Black bin liners were banned
    References to manhole covers were banned.

Other race based

Immigrants use cats to stay in the country
    Black children were restricted to playing oil drums in school music lessons
    St George flag was banned for fear of upsetting Muslims
    England football shirts banned at school for fear of upsetting immigrants.

1994 World Cup was played

With larger goals
    In front of half empty stadiums
    In quarters for US TV
    With adverts obscuring half the screen

The Trade Union ones legion, too legion to mention

Must be more

No farming related false memory syndromes then!

Fenster said:

MikeK said:

@Fenster

I think you need to realise that swing voters don't necessarily view the political scene the way that right-wingers or UKIP voters do.

Heseltine, a pro-European, would appeal to the middle-ground voters the Tories need to attract in the marginals. He and Portillo certainly wouldn't be attractive to UKIP.

My point is, grandees can be useful in a campaign, and the Tories may well have an advantage here in that Major and Heseltine and co will hugely back Cameron, whereas Miliband will struggle to get the equivalent support.

That's an interesting point - personally I recoil against Grandees.

They usually have no constituency, are Lords, are past it for good reason and still yearn the limelight/back-seat drive.

I don't want to know what any Tory pre-97 thinks. They had their day and now its 16yrs later.
    Unite behind politically correct bullshit and playing the race card on immigration:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23545955
    edited August 2013

Mick_Pork said:

Well you could have given the Comres Scottish subsample

Lab 41 SNP 33 Con 9 LD 13

or for completeness the Populus one as well

Lab 39 SNP 36 Con 13 LD 11

I didn't have them but by all means put them into the pot as they confirm roughly where the scottish lib dem and SCON votes are while it underlines that the SNP and SLAB are well in front fighting for that large remaining split.

Like I said an imperfect tool but the better the pollster is and the more data there is to throw in for comparison the more likely it is to get at least a basic rough guide without a specific poll on scottish VI for 2015.

It's tempting to use the Holyrood VI as a base comparator for them all right now but it's usefulness as a guide to 2015 reduces the closer we get to the actual 2015 GE given the fundamental differences in an actual Westmisnter general election campaign from the Holyrood one.
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

How many lefties were secretly disappointed it wasn't a white Brit I wonder? We'll never know

After yours and others posts aimed at Somalis immediately after Lee Rigby's killing thats quite funny in a strange way.
    Imagine how much you'd be posting if it were a right wing Brit

Truth hurts

I read it was a Somalian and mistakenly repeated it.

But so what?

Do you think people who are racist would care at all whether it was a Somalian or someone of Nigerian descent? Are there racist white people out there that only have it in for Somalians?

This discussion has been closed.