Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll finds strong support for keeping East Coast

13»

Comments

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    £ vs € today

http://uk.reuters.com/business/currencies/quote?destAmt&destCurr=EUR&srcAmt=1&srcCurr=GBP

Carney reputation as a QE addict being undermined by lack of action.

Doesn't sound like cricket on R4 from 1pm ..

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m

labour MP of two deacdes standing attacks lab leadership for lack of clarity on policies, doubts poll lead will hold up. #wato

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 5m

veteran lab mp once close to brown attacks ed m leadership, says he and party members 'have difficulty knowing what we stand for now'. #wato
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @TGOHF

It's okay - EdM has his phone switched off and is on hols. Perhaps that's best.
    Australia are Ed Miliband-esque at batting reviews :)

• Plato said:

Why Peerages Are News Part 94.

Harry Cole @MrHarryCole
    Haughey got a 11 million quid contract from Lab Glasgow council despite charging 120% more than rival bidders. And now he's got Lab peerage

As we have seen consistently over the years in all walks of life - private and public - awarding a contract solely on pricing is a fool's game.

Do free-market, private enterprise supporting Harry and Guido know anything at all about business? What with their shocking revelations that Labour paid no corporation tax you do have to wonder.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    edited August 2013
    No hot spot, no snicko. I think that was the wrong decision.

The umpire probably heard the bat flicking the pad just before the ball went past the bat.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Plato said:

Neil said:

Plato said:

RT @WikiGuido: Shocker RT @MirrorMcTague: Lord William Haughey has given the Labour Party £1,321,626.

And Bamford donated shedloads to the Tory party. They have both been vetted for the post (this time) so what is anyone trying to suggest?
    In your keeness to find fault - you've missed that I posted about Lord JCB and Lord Nightclub.
    Plato said:

Neil said:

Plato said:

RT @WikiGuido: Shocker RT @MirrorMcTague: Lord William Haughey has given the Labour Party £1,321,626.

And Bamford donated shedloads to the Tory party. They have both been vetted for the post (this time) so what is anyone trying to suggest?
    In your keeness to find fault - you've missed that I posted about Lord JCB and Lord Nightclub.
    I certainly missed your post about how much he had donated to the Tories.
    Why on earth was the third umpire shown full speed replays when listening for sound? The whole point is you need to have those replays as slow as possible.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,376

Pulpstar said:

Personally I think the current privately run trains on public tracks is probably the best solution for the railways. Virgin trains are pretty good by and large, and we don't have to look too far back to see the disaster that was Railtrack Plc - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railtrack wasn't the finest example of privatisation ever.

The thing is if you sell it off you don't then give out subsidies when the company comes crawling back for them, but Gov'ts inevitably do with infrastructure such as this particularly when there can be large safety angles due to underinvestment.
    Because of the inevitable potential for this I'd be against it.

If the infrastructure does remain in public hands, then the debt has to go on the books.

Network Rail is borrowing massively at the moment, and we - the taxpayers - are guaranteeing those loans. Does anyone think this will end well?
    At least its not heading straight out the door as divis tho !
    Who is George Maudie? He's apparently the WATO interviewee.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Plato Once again proving that there is no such thing as a junior backbencher.
    antifrank said:

@Plato Once again proving that there is no such thing as a junior backbencher.

Reminds me of @fitalass' LD MP who even Guido had never heard of.
    Australian PM:

"I've just sat down to watch the test. That was one of the worst cricket umpiring decisions I have ever seen. KRudd":

https://mobile.twitter.com/KRuddMP
    Dylan Sharpe

The George Mudie stuff is bad, but @popbitch is reporting that Ed Miliband has been seen cycling the wrong way down a one-way street. Killer

Mudie nails it - Ed reactive not pro active.

"Why would you vote Labour?" - quite !
    Matthew Holehouse
    @mattholehouse

"Do you our position on welfare? Do you know our genuine position on education? Do you know our position on how we'd run health?" - Mudie
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Doesn't George (Mudie) know there's a blank sheet of paper?

What more does he want?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,456
    antifrank said:

It's worthwhile being contrarian for a moment. Political parties need to give people some incentive to support them. If (like me) you start from the position that everyone is fundamentally corrupt given half the chance, and recognise wearily that by definition political parties are going to hold the reins of power, you are forced to acknowledge that in practice they're going to use that power to benefit their benefactors, one way or another.

It's probably more harmless to have benefactors in a revising chamber with a fancy title and dressed in clothes that would horrify animal activists than to have them awarded public contracts on favourable terms or receiving some other form of financial incentive. By following this method of rewarding followers, the chances are maximised that the benefactors will be interested in politics rather than in using politicians for financial advantage.

In other words, this may be bad, but the alternatives are mainly worse.

My dad used to tell the story from the early 50s when he was in the Strangers' Gallery listening to an MP making a speech on business (no idea who or any details). His neighbour - who he didn't know - suddenly observed crossly, "I gave him £2,000 NOT to make that speech."

My dad couldn't decide if this showed the MP to be an honest man and a genius fundraiser or a weaselly rascal.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2013
    More bad news for labour...

I was reading an account of school life by a teacher the other day and apparently the word 'tax' has become a synonym for 'steal' as in

'Oi, who's taxed my mars bar??'
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Labour MP George Mudie: Party is hesitant and confused

A Labour MP has said he does not know what the party stands for and the government is "making the weather" on welfare, health and education.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23529215#

Oh dear.
  • taffys said:

More bad news for labour...

I was reading an account of school life by a teacher the other day and apparently the word 'tax' has become a synonym for 'steal' as in

'Oi, who's taxed my mars bar??'

If only Labour would join other political parties in rejecting taxation!

Owen Jones @OwenJones84

It's a statement of the obvious that Labour lacks a clear coherent message and is letting the Tories set the terms of the debate #wato

Owen joining in the attack on non labour policies.
    But but the self praising "smart" posters keep telling us its too early.
    TGOHF said:

But but the self praising "smart" posters keep telling us its too early.

Mr mudie better watch for the smears coming his way ;-)

• Owen Jones @OwenJones84

It's a statement of the obvious that Labour lacks a clear coherent message and is letting the Tories set the terms of the debate #wato

Owen joining in the attack on non labour policies.

Hardly. He's been doing it for three years.

Labour MP says “difficulty knowing what we stand for” under Miliband

http://labourlist.org/2013/08/labour-mp-says-difficulty-knowing-what-we-stand-for-under-miliband/
  • Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

The George Mudie stuff is bad, but @popbitch is reporting that Ed Miliband has been seen cycling the wrong way down a one-way street. Killer

I'd vote Labour to get the Tories out of government as I profoundly disagree with most of their policies. I'd vote LD to do the same if the LDs were best placed to keep a Tory out. There's not much to positively like about Labour under EdM, that's for sure. He is not an inspiring leader. Neither does he give the impression of being a very driven one. But life is as it is.

tim said:

Its been a long time since I got excited by someone I hadn't heard of ten minutes before, a normal day in the life of the PB Tories.

David Singleton ‏@david_singleton
    Not uncommon for Labour MPs to say Ed should be more like Blair. Calling for him to be more like Gordon is a new one http://bit.ly/16aewa0

tim said:

Its been a long time since I got excited by someone I hadn't heard of ten minutes before, a normal day in the life of the PB Tories.

Not uncommon for Labour MPs to say Ed should be more like Blair. Calling for him to be more like Gordon is a new one http://bit.ly/16aewa0

Smear one,deny you know him = lol

Smear 2 will be something about his age ;-)
    Have the waters been Mudied??

I'll get my coat....
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,088
    I listened to the Mudie interview in the car, it was simply stating the obvious, that Ed hasn't said what he's about and increasingly people are filling the blanks for him. What was worse was Saddiq Khan's defence of Ed. It seems "heavy lifting" is the new buzz word, he spoke complete nonsense for 5+ minutes during which he said nothing to get his boss out of a corner. If we get 20 months of this Dave will be cruising, it's the first time in years when the labour spinners have seemed worse than the tory ones.
  • Mudie is an old Brownite from Leeds.
    tim said:

taffys said:

I'll get my coat....

It's pronounced Moody, that much I know.
    But anything which stops your very strange Doreen Lawrence posts from spewing forth again is a good thing

So PB now has the Mudie Blues as a new group.
  • tim said:

tim said:

You have an extraordinary definition of the word "smear".

I have never heard of him either. Have I really smeared him by making that statement of fact?

Smear 2 will be something about his age ;-)

Or about how he is out of the loop (aka the bunker)

PB Tories have been warning about Ed's poor performance and lack of inertia for months - the smarter PB lefties paid attention.

tim said:

taffys said:

I'll get my coat....

But anything which stops your very strange Doreen Lawrence posts from spewing forth again is a good thing

Like isam as posted,it must be bad for labour if you have to respond to post like this.

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

I'd vote Labour to get the Tories out of government as I profoundly disagree with most of their policies. I'd vote LD to do the same if the LDs were best placed to keep a Tory out. There's not much to positively like about Labour under EdM, that's for sure. He is not an inspiring leader. Neither does he give the impression of being a very driven one. But life is as it is.

Since labour are signing up to Osborne's economic policies, doesn't that mean you shouldn't vote labour either ?
    tim said:

tim said:

taffys said:

I'll get my coat....

A cleverer joke would be Mudie Downgrades Ed, but that would be assuming a bit more knowledge than the PB Tories possess
    Assumes he ever had a rating in the first place - as we know Ed wasn't the choice of Labour MPs - or members.

tim said:

tim said:

taffys said:

I'll get my coat....

A cleverer joke would be Mudie Downgrades Ed, but that would be assuming a bit more knowledge than the PB Tories possess
    better by far, but then we don't get access to the latest labour death spiral humour.

tim said:

tim said:

You have an extraordinary definition of the word "smear".

I have never heard of him either. Have I really smeared him by making that statement of fact?

Not you SO,I have you down as a decent old fashioned labour supporter but the labour win at all cost type,not so sure ;-)
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    @Southam - Aren't you on holiday by Lake Michigan???
  • Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

Since labour are signing up to Osborne's economic policies, doesn't that mean you shouldn't vote labour either ?

We are where we are. I think Osborne got it very wrong in 2010 and made a very bad situation even worse. But that cannot be undone, so it's now a matter of management and prioritisation. I profoundly dislike the Tory trickle down, punish the most vulnerable approach, so would never vote for it. But I certainly wish I had better choices.

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897

Former MPs John Horam and Matthew Carrington go to the Lords. Along with Annabelle, former Welsh Assembly Conservative Leader Bourne is also elevated to the Lords.
    Former leaders of Trafford and Birmingham Councils are also rewarded. A ex MEP who defected from Labour too

Former Labour Deputy General Secretary Alicia Kennedy becomes a Baroness

LibDems include former Somerset CC leader, a former MSP, a former Welsh Assembly Member, Paddick, directly from the 80s Ian Wrigglesworth

lots of piggies heading to the trough
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    tim said:

How many people had heard of Lord Howell yesterday... didn't stop you fapping over him for hours and hours.
  • CCHQ don't want to publish detailed results of MEPs selection. Possibly not to reveal how few members actually voted.

Let's see if Labour published their figures tomorrow. Labour have one more problem: showing which women and men are pushed up and down the lists because of gender zipped lists regardless of their vote in London, North West, Yorkshire, East Midlands, Scotland. The other regions have split men and women ballots, so it won't be a problem.
  • @Southam - Aren't you on holiday by Lake Michigan???

I am. In a place just by the shore, wifi thrown in. The family sleeps, so I get a couple of hours on PB as I follow the test match.

• RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    @Southam - As long as you're enjoying yourself!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897
    JonC said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Grandiose said:

What a horrible polling question, with all those attached statements.

Can only be a matter of time before we see Survation polls on other great Ed wheezes - Energy price caps !

"Would it be nice to see a government enforced price cap on electricity ?"

How about a poll on cutting fuel prices in Danny Alexander's constituency.

Peeved that again Labour are missing out on leading the way on a nice leftie policy ?

There's no money left, the state has no role in interfering in the market .
    But will set petrol prices in particular areas.

http://rnn.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/Press-Releases/Plans-to-extend-island-fuel-rebate-to-remote-inland-areas-take-step-forward-690d0.aspx

Why not reduce food prices in high food price areas while you're at it?

Suppose it fits in nicely with Osbornes taxpayer subsidies for people remortgaging £600k flats.

Keep fighting for the free market on the East Coast rail line though, even though there won't be one
    The biggest price fixing for rural and remote areas is the absurd notion that the price of a stamp should be the same wherever you are sending your letter to - whether across London or from Lands End to South Uist.

Hopefully Royal mail privatisation will end this and lead to cheaper post for the majority of us who don't live in the middle of nowhere.
    greedy selfish ********
    I note Mudie voted for Ed BALLS in the leadership election.

Proxy attack ?

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

We are where we are. I think Osborne got it very wrong in 2010 and made a very bad situation even worse. But that cannot be undone, so it's now a matter of management and prioritisation. I profoundly dislike the Tory trickle down, punish the most vulnerable approach, so would never vote for it. But I certainly wish I had better choices.

yes but if you disagree with the policies why would you vote for someone who will implement them ? I'd have thought the LDs would have been a better bet, at least they're prepared to throw out some policies and take the rap.
  • @Southam - As long as you're enjoying yourself!

Not liking the cricket much, but west Michigan is marvellous and the lake is just stunning (and unbelievably cold).

• ConHome makes an interesting comment regarding Con MEP candidates. There's a party rule saying that MEP candidates can't be selected as PPC.

In Yorkshire one place in still unfilled because 3 candidates didn't accept the position they were given by selectorate. I wondered why...I mean, without being harsh, that being a low ranked MEP candidate doesn't require so much work. If you are the PPC in a hopeless seat, you probably still have to do some working, or at least pretend to be do it...if you don't do anything in a Euro election, no-one will notice!

But the ban from being PPC explains the 3 refusals.
    Proxy attack ?

Desperate Dan Hodges has taken a mountain of scorn on this site, and with justification, but his last 'Ed they are coming for you' article suddenly starts to look a bit prescient...
    Yet another pointless attack by the Tories on (unaffiliated) trade unions. Why?! Are they trying to lose their votes?

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/pcs_comment/index.cfm/pickles-to-risk-thousands-on-legal-fight-to-save-300
    tim said:

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

yes but if you disagree with the policies why would you vote for someone who will implement them ? I'd have thought the LDs would have been a better bet, at least they're prepared to throw out some policies and take the rap.
    He lives in a Con/Lab marginal, why would he vote LD?

Tories just don't understand FPTP

Well SO likes to argue on the principles which is fair comment. I suppose as a Labourite you just don't understand principles which is why you don't have any.
  • Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

Labour has the best chance of winning in this constituency. If they are part of the next government I am betting that they will not seek to do what a Tory government would do, even within overall spending limits set by a Tory chancellor. I hope I get to see whether I am right.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Exit another Labour appointee:

"The Home Secretary Theresa May has accepted the resignation of Sir Ian Andrews from his role as Chairman of the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA), with effect from 2 August 2013.

Sir Ian tendered his resignation because of a failure to declare an interest in a management consultancy company which he is required to do in the SOCA Register of Director’s Interests.

Sir Ian Andrews has worked in public service for over four decades and took up his post as Chairman of SOCA in 2009."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/resignation-of-chairman-of-serious-organised-crime-agency
    Neil said:

Yet another pointless attack by the Tories on (unaffiliated) trade unions. Why?! Are they trying to lose their votes?

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/pcs_comment/index.cfm/pickles-to-risk-thousands-on-legal-fight-to-save-300

Why should the taxpayer cough up for these clowns to join the Tufty club or whatever little gang they want to join ?

My employer doesn't pay for my gym subscription for me - they have better things to do.
    taffys said:

Desperate Dan Hodges has taken a mountain of scorn on this site, and with justification, but his last 'Ed they are coming for you' article suddenly starts to look a bit prescient...

Labour dont have an especially appealing alternative out there. They can buckle down and work with what they have or indulge in pointless dramas. I'm sure they have enough sense to opt for the former.

TGOHF said:

My employer doesn't pay for my gym subscription for me - they have better things to do.

They're not paying for the union membership.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    I see even Labour Mp's begining to question Ed's leadership.

• AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    @tim

Osborne is going to spend more than Brown as Chancellor ever did, it's not a point of principle for Labour voters that the spending level under Osborne is too high.

It is however a point of principle for Tories that spending levels under Brown as Chancellor were reckless.

Afternoon all.

A point of fact rather than "principle".

Osborne is reducing spend.
    Brown/Darling increased spend.

Osborne...2010-15 2.75% Real terms reduction in Total Managed Expenditure.

Brown......2005-10 14.68% Real terms increase in Total Managed Expenditure.
    Public Sector Aggregates: Total Managed Expenditure             
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Year Nominal Change | Real Change | GDP Ratio Change
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling

2005-06 526.4 ˄ 6.26% | 624.7 ˄ 4.34% | 40.6 ˄ 0.74%
    2006-07 553.0 ˄ 5.05% | 638.1 ˄ 2.15% | 40.4 ˅ (0.49%)
    2007-08 586.6 ˄ 6.08% | 660.2 ˄ 3.46% | 40.5 ˄ 0.25%
    2008-09 634.3 ˄ 8.13% | 694.4 ˄ 5.18% | 44.0 ˄ 8.64%
    2009-10 672.5 ˄ 6.02% | 716.4 ˄ 3.17% | 47.0 ˄ 6.82%
    | |
    2005-10 ˄ 27.75% | ˄ 14.68% | ˄ 15.76%
    George Osborne

2010-11 693.9 ˄ 3.18% | 720.5 ˄ 0.57% | 46.2 ˅ (1.70%)
    2011-12 694.6 ˄ 0.10% | 705.1 ˅ (2.14%) | 45.0 ˅ (2.60%)
    2012-13 675.3 ˅ (2.78%) | 675.3 ˅ (4.23%) | 43.1 ˅ (4.22%)
    2013-14 720.0 ˄ 6.62% | 703.9 ˄ 4.24% | 45.1 ˄ 4.64%
    2014-15 730.4 ˄ 1.44% | 700.7 ˅ (0.45%) | 44.1 ˅ (2.22%)

2010-15 ˄ 5.26% | ˅ (2.75%) | ˅ (4.55%)
    malcolmg said:

JonC said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Grandiose said:

What a horrible polling question, with all those attached statements.

Can only be a matter of time before we see Survation polls on other great Ed wheezes - Energy price caps !

"Would it be nice to see a government enforced price cap on electricity ?"

How about a poll on cutting fuel prices in Danny Alexander's constituency.

Peeved that again Labour are missing out on leading the way on a nice leftie policy ?

There's no money left, the state has no role in interfering in the market .
    But will set petrol prices in particular areas.

http://rnn.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/Press-Releases/Plans-to-extend-island-fuel-rebate-to-remote-inland-areas-take-step-forward-690d0.aspx

Why not reduce food prices in high food price areas while you're at it?

Suppose it fits in nicely with Osbornes taxpayer subsidies for people remortgaging £600k flats.

Keep fighting for the free market on the East Coast rail line though, even though there won't be one
    The biggest price fixing for rural and remote areas is the absurd notion that the price of a stamp should be the same wherever you are sending your letter to - whether across London or from Lands End to South Uist.

Hopefully Royal mail privatisation will end this and lead to cheaper post for the majority of us who don't live in the middle of nowhere.
    greedy selfish ********
    bang on malc. Cut a subsidy and it just turns up somewhere else in your tax bill, if there's a cost to doing something then it has to be paid. Ramp up mail prices to the distant fringes and all that will happen is a new subsidy will take its place. It's only by reducing the actual cost that any money is saved.
    Even the most bovine Labour Mp's must be begining to realise the Unions picked a duffer
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

They're not paying for the union membership.
    It costs nearly £10 a month per person for the employer to do the unions paperwork ? A complete and utter waste of taxpayer money.

Lazy union organisers could print up a direct debit form and do it themselves - is there no limit to their idleness ?
    They can buckle down and work with what they have or indulge in pointless dramas. I'm sure they have enough sense to opt for the former.

Until this attack I would have agreed wholeheartedly. Now, I'm not so sure.
  • TGOHF said:

Neil said:

Why should the taxpayer cough up for these clowns to join the Tufty club or whatever little gang they want to join ?

Our company subsidises gym membership. If people stay healthy they are generally more productive, motivated and are less likely to take time off sick.

• I have trouble editing posts...so I add this to my previous comment..."Or at least no more work than what a senior activist with selection ambitions would do anyway"
    TGOHF said:

It costs nearly £10 a month per person for the employer to do the unions paperwork ?

No, it doesnt, you've completely misunderstood the story. It costs £10 a month. In total.

To save £30 a month in total (3 unions) Pickles is prepared to spend thousands on legal action. Francis Maude would be proud. If he asked I'm sure the unions would reimburse him the money. Without getting the lawyers involved.
    taffys said:

Proxy attack ?

taffys

But it won't be an official car from the LOTO pool which draws up alongside Ed with a familiar face opening the door.

It will be the buffet car on the 14.48 from Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange via Doncaster. The last running of the service under state ownership and control.

"Things can only get better".

taffys said:

It's silly season. I wouldnt get overexcited by it. It would be fun it they decided to implode but this is a party that didnt manage to shift Gordon Brown.
    edited August 2013
    @Southam

Up until the last GE it was my consitiuency too. However whether it will prove so easy we will see. locally the car industry is doing well and the sitting MP is from a manufacturing background. With the economy on the rebound labour won't have it all their own way. In the 13 years it was a labour hold the sitting MP didn't do much bar vote as he was told. I was glad he lost the police commissioner vote.
    @tim

I just dont see the political sense in these gratuitous attacks on organisations that millions of people pay lots of money to be members of. I'm just showing concern for the Tories.
    edited August 2013
    Neil said:

taffys said:

It's silly season. I wouldnt get overexcited by it. It would be fun it they decided to implode but this is a party that didnt manage to shift Gordon Brown.
    I agree,but it' fun when the sh!t hits the fan and the reaction of the over confident labour posters ;-) especially tim(I love the guy really)

tim said:

@TGOHF

It costs nearly £10 a month per person for the employer to do the unions paperwork

Another PB Tory stats moment.

It's nearly ten pounds per month PER UNION in the DCLG

Ha Ha.
    You used to be one of the smarter ones.

Total cost is irrelevant - do it yourself you lazy ferkers !

Perhaps Pickles is smart enough to realise that faced with a direct debit form , some workers might see the light and use the money more wisely.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Kevin Maguire tweets: "MP George Mudie may be grumpy but he's shrewd too and usually loyal. Lab leadership can't just dismiss his criticism "
    tim said:

tim said:

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

I'd vote Labour to get the Tories out of government as I profoundly disagree with most of inspiring leader. Neither does he give the impression of being a very driven one. But life is as it is.

We are where we are. I think Osborne got it very wrong in 2010 and made a very bad approach, so would never vote for it. But I certainly wish I had better choices.

yes but if you disagree with the policies why would you vote for someone who will implement

Well SO likes to argue on the principles which is fair comment. I suppose as a Labourite you just don't understand principles which is why you don't have any.
    If you have a stupid electoral system it's better not to waste your vote on someone who stands no chance.
    If the Tories had spent less time whining about electoral bias and more time realising that over the last twenty years theyd have more MP's than they do.

So what you're saying tim is that Labour kept a stupid electoral system you despise in place but you still vote for them. I guess that's just another of the areas where the you and principles part company. Really if you want reform you should vote LD and since you're presumably in a safe Labour ward it will make no difference n'est-ce-pas ?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread - today's Welsh Assembly by election
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Michigan..that would be the Michigan that SO claimed was 6000 miles away, travel certainly broadens something..
    TGOHF said:

Total cost is irrelevant

Ah, is this what the Big Society has come to? Incurring significant legal fees to try and do down a voluntary organisation that represents thousands of people? It's politics but it's very strange politics.
    It would be fun it they decided to implode but this is a party that didn't manage to shift Gordon Brown.

True. Actually Ed's in an unenviable position. He's wedged between blairism, which the party won't stomach, and McCluskeyism - which the voters won't stomach.

It's inordinately difficult to tread a line of compromise between these two.
  • @Southam

Up until the last GE it was my consitiuency too. However whether it will prove so easy we will see. locally the car industry is doing well and the sitting MP is from a manufacturing background. With the economy on the rebound labour won't have it all their own way. In the 13 years it was a labour hold the sitting MP didn't do much bar vote as he was told. I was glad he lost the police commissioner vote.

I agree. Leamington generally is doing OK. The shops are busy, house prices are rising. I'd be surprised if Labour took the seat, but I'll do my bit even if it is less than enthusiastically. Plaskitt got the most police commissioner votes in the 1st round remember. That's where it stops with FPTP.

edited August 2013
    tim said:

@Avery.

If Osborne stays in office a decade he's unlikely to reduce public spending to pre crash levels which Labour and Lib Dem voters were happy with, yet the Tories seem to think were reckless

@tim

Between the fiscal year end of 2009-10 and that of 2012-13, Osborne has reduced public spending from 47.0% of GDP to 43.1% of GDP, or 3.9% in three full years.

At that rate of reduction, he will more than reduce spending below the end 2007-8 year of 40.5% (range for 2005-2008 = 40.3%-40.6%).

Pray tell me, sir, do you think Osborne is about to embark on a splurge of public spending of Brownian proportions?

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,188
    Right, into the tail!

30 new peers appointed and not a blogging political gambler amongst them.

Donate more then ..............
    Good to see PB on page 2 of the Sunday Times this week.
    tim said:

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

Now, who did Southam vote for last election?

Doh!

• Floater said:

tim said:

Plato said:

Dylan Sharpe

Now, who did Southam vote for last election?

Doh!

I've moved since then!

This discussion has been closed.