Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Less than a week after Mrs. May’s GE2017 announcement YouGov’s

Comments

• If I've Martin's tweet correctly, we're headed for a 1931 result aren't we? Not 1983

I think it implies 100 or so Conservative gains from Labour, with Labour ending up somewhere around 120 seats.
    Ta. If the Tories out perform UNS....
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Where are Labour getting all their votes ?

@Conservatives lead 48% vs 31% in Lab held seats

How are they on 28% with that about ?

Have you seen this from Chris Hanretty? Labour doing okay in both Con and LD seats but terribly in their own:

https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/warning-signs-for-labour-50b6cd1501d8
    Males sense. They've already been squeezed to their bare core in many of those seats and have nothing left to lose, the crush is now in seats they hold where they have been in their pomp. Would indicate a movement on a non UNS basis, as UNS cannot apply differentially like this and they end up on a Lib-Dem style low 20s with not much to show for it in seats. ELE and getting worse,
    It's the opposite of 1983 when Labour's vote dropped most heavily in the seats where they were weakest, one reason why they managed to hold 209 seats with 27.6%.
    28.3% actually in GB.
    I was using the UK figures.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Comres, ICM and YG all have the Tories on 50% or more in their respective Wales (Midlands/Wales with YG) subsamples.
  • The Welsh subsample from the ICM poll today is amusing (unless you're Welsh Labour).

We get the Wales poll tonight at 6.00pm and it is rumoured to be a blood bath for labour
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The Welsh subsample from the ICM poll today is amusing (unless you're Welsh Labour).

Thanks - I now have my benchmark for Professor Scully's poll this evening!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Typos in 2nd para fixed. Problem with going with an earlier draft.

Burnley looks fascinating. I have it as a 3 way mega marginal.
    Indeed like several ex LD seats that were won by LAB at GE2015. I've no special information about it.
    Cambridge certainly comes to mind in that it had normally been a Tory seat until 1992.
    Lib Dem GAIN
    I don’t expect the LibDems to do very well. Labour will surely seek to remind voters that they were ‘the Tories’ little helpers’ for five years.. Some of the apparently promising LibDem targets also flatter to deceive. To take Cambridge as an example – the Labour MP elected in 2015 can now expect an incumbency bonus whilst the LibDems there have lost theirs – so Labour effectively enjoys a double incumbency boost there. He is also an ardent Remainer in so far as that may prove salient. The other point is that until 1992 Cambridge was normally a Tory seat – and the LibDems have only progressed at all there via Tory tactical votes and Labour voters alienated by Iraq in 2005. The latter are very unlikely to switch back to the LibDems, and if the Tories really do poll circa 45% nationally, why would they continue to vote tactically rather than going home to their own party? Labour has twice – in 1992 & 2015 – won the seat from third place.Why should the Tories not contemplate doing the same
    The Tories will be on about 600 seats if they win Cambridge.
    Not at all. Labour only narrowly won the seat in 1945 & 1966. In every other post war election the seat was Tory - until 1992. In 2010 the Tories were in second place just 13% behind the LibDems. The latter are polling much lower now and the Tories a lot higher. Tactical voting in 2015 resulted in artificially high figures there for the LibDems at Tory expense. If the 2010 result is treated as the Tory base , this seat is very winnable for them.
    Not really. They are not just Tories, they are educated Cambridge Remainer Tories. And the Tory organisation locally is very weak.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    justin124 said:

I really think you are - and have been saying this for months. Brexit is an important issue - but not a salient one. Most people have moved on - and it is far too technical for the typical voter . Corbyn is already largely ignoring it and I suspect his focus on other issues will gain some traction.

You might be right that @Pulpstar is attaching too much weight to Leave/Remain, but does it make much difference to the big picture? Use UNS if you prefer; it still ain't pretty for Labour.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

If I've Martin's tweet correctly, we're headed for a 1931 result aren't we? Not 1983

I think it implies 100 or so Conservative gains from Labour, with Labour ending up somewhere around 120 seats.
    Corbyn will hold on to his core vote of over-privileged revolutionaries, evenly distributed throughout safe Tory seats...
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    That marginal swing would have the labour great and good like Yvette stuck at home scrabbling for votes.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

@AndrewCooper__: @martinboon @ICMResearch @guardian @Conservatives This pattern - huge swings to Tories in Labour (inc *safe*) seats (& slight slippage in safe Tory seats) - is consistent with other data

The Tories losing share in safe seats is great news for them. My calc has them on 80% in South Holland, best for them those votes go elsewhere.
    It's very unusual for a Conservative candidate to get more than about 68% in any constituency no matter how safe it is, and IMO that's likely to continue at this election. Therefore they won't get much of an increase in the seats where they're already near that level like Maidenhead and Beaconsfield. As you say, that means they must be doing better elsewhere.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293
    Will resources be a problem for the Tories with so many potential wins? If the ground game really matters as much as some say, will the sheer number of winnable constituencies and the money required prove a barrier, in addition to the few seats they'll need to actively defend?

Yes, the door-knockers will be eager and in fine spirits. But are there enough of them, particularly in constituencies that are not 'typical' Tory ones?

Or are their endeavours less important this time around?
  • We need to hear from lab posters more to puncture this swelling blue optimism before it gets too expensive a bubble... I imagine Tim is doing his bit on twitter ??
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Indeed like several ex LD seats that were won by LAB at GE2015. I've no special information about it.
    Cambridge certainly comes to mind in that it had normally been a Tory seat until 1992.
    Lib Dem GAIN
    Not at all. Labour only narrowly won the seat in 1945 & 1966. In every other post war election the seat was Tory - until 1992. In 2010 the Tories were in second place just 13% behind the LibDems. The latter are polling much lower now and the Tories a lot higher. Tactical voting in 2015 resulted in artificially high figures there for the LibDems at Tory expense. If the 2010 result is treated as the Tory base , this seat is very winnable for them.
    The Tories aren't gaining Cambridge whilst they have 70% of the Brexit vote, it is simple mathematics.
    You are probably making the mistake of assuming that Brexit is far more salient as an issue than is actually the case.
    I'm really, really not.
    I really think you are - and have been saying this for months. Brexit is an important issue - but not a salient one. Most people have moved on - and it is far too technical for the typical voter . Corbyn is already largely ignoring it and I suspect his focus on other issues will gain some traction.
    Yes, the antics from the likes of Blair and Gina Miller are only playing into Mrs May's hands.

The overwhelming feeling, regardless of how people voted on Brexit, is that we just need to get on with it now, and if that's considered the sole question then people will think it best for May to have a big majority in order to have a strong hand in the negotiations. When you're going into battle with "enemies" of the country, people are always going to feel that it's best to have as much of a united front as possible.

The way for Labour to win in Mansfield and the like is to focus the electorate's attention on domestic issues (where the Tories still seem very much vulnerable to me), and say "the only way Prime Minister May will be forced to pay attention to the NHS and your living standards is if there's a strong opposition to keep her on her toes".
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I find it hard to believe the ICM figures that Conservatives are doing better in Labour marginals 48% than in their own marginals 40% .
    Lib Dems down weighted in this poll from 184 voters to 151 .
    LDs lose 17 2015 voters to Con but gain 21 from them
    LDs lose 17 2015 voters to Lab but gain 35 from them
    LDs lose 0 2015 voter to UKIP but gain 7 from them
    LDs lose 2 2015 voters to Greens but gain ??? from them

LDs get 4% of Leave voters and 19% of Remainers
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:
    Did anyone keep Alastair's list of Labour seats and their majorities? From recollection this is looking like something up to 100 losses. Still hard to believe.
    I did, funnily enough:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bygi8eZw-4q1Tm54TU02a3E3R0U/view

Every Tory target up to 87 (Lancashire West) looks more likely than not to go if that's correct, and of course the Conservatives will presumably overachieve in some seats beyond that level.
    Thanks Alastair. There is still a while to go but this is starting to look awfully like Scotland in 2015.

Like others I am having some problem reconciling a Tory lead of 17% in Labour seats with Labour being on 28%. Add in a catastrophic collapse in their share of the vote in Scotland (only costing 1 seat) and they really should be doing not well but better than this.
    Well if the Tories aren't putting on votes in South Holland and the Deepings it will help them out in Mansfield for the same share.
    Yes, but if Labour are doing really badly in Mansfield can they really be on 28%? That is the question.
    I think it's implausible but not impossible.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:
    Did anyone keep Alastair's list of Labour seats and their majorities? From recollection this is looking like something up to 100 losses. Still hard to believe.
    I did, funnily enough:

Every Tory target up to 87 (Lancashire West) looks more likely than not to go if that's correct, and of course the Conservatives will presumably overachieve in some seats beyond that level.
    I've just realised I've misunderstood what that crosstab hints at. Lumme, that's bad for Labour.
    Yes, its much worse than looking down the list to target 87. If the pool is Labour seats then they should be very significantly ahead in that subsection and the starting point is not zero. So, for example, if Labour were on average 20% ahead in these seats the last time ( a pretty conservative estimate) then for the Tories to be 17% ahead means there has been an 18.5% swing against them in this pool of seats.

The problem remains if this is true then Labour are nowhere near 28%. So maybe it isn't true.
    edited April 2017
    ToryJim said:

chestnut said:

For those attempting modelling by constituency:

Non-White voters: Lab 54 Con 30 LD 6 Grn 4 UKIP 3

It is worth bearing in mind that "10/10 to turnout" is an abysmal 37%.

Wouldn't that be a reasonable swing to Con, didn't Labour retain nearly 2/3 non white voters last time or am I misremembering?
    Ipsos figures were:

2010: Lab 60 Con 16 LD 20
    2015: Lab 65 Con 23 LD 4
    2017: Lab 54 Con 30 LD 6

Yes, it's about a 9% swing to the Tories.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    llef said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:
    I did, funnily enough:

I've just realised I've misunderstood what that crosstab hints at. Lumme, that's bad for Labour.
    I find it hard to imagine a world where Slough (no 76) returns a Tory MP....
    Slough was Tory held from 1983 - 1997.
    For some reason PB's giving me an advert for Christie's Islamic Art Week ...

;)
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Every day Corbyn becomes more of a liability and today the communist party have endorsed him.

And in the meantime the PM keeps out of the limelight working on the manifesto and having photos taken with her candidates.

I think you must love Theresa May you support her every action.Even the mundane .
  • Will resources be a problem for the Tories with so many potential wins? If the ground game really matters as much as some say, will the sheer number of winnable constituencies and the money required prove a barrier, in addition to the few seats they'll need to actively defend?

Yes, the door-knockers will be eager and in fine spirits. But are there enough of them, particularly in constituencies that are not 'typical' Tory ones?

It never has in the past and I do not expect it to be a problem this time.

Just reflecting on Theresa May's decision - is this one of the masterstrokes of all time in politics.

Reduces labour to irrelevance, gives Nicola a huge problem, and re-establishes the conservatives as the dominant party in Wales
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

If I've Martin's tweet correctly, we're headed for a 1931 result aren't we? Not 1983

Corbyn will hold on to his core vote of over-privileged revolutionaries, evenly distributed throughout safe Tory seats...
    You know there is probably some truth in that.

@Jonathan reported decent Labour canvassing in Horsham.

I think the wasted Lbour vote is holding up.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335

The Welsh subsample from the ICM poll today is amusing (unless you're Welsh Labour).

We get the Wales poll tonight at 6.00pm and it is rumoured to be a blood bath for labour
    Welsh result in 2015:

Labour 25 seats 36.9%
    Conservative 11 seats 27.2%

What's a bloodbath?
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,556
    chestnut said:

Comres, ICM and YG all have the Tories on 50% or more in their respective Wales (Midlands/Wales with YG) subsamples.

Yes, but there's a big difference between Wales alone and Wales + E Mids + W Mids. For Con to be on 50% in the latter is very healthy; to be on 50% in the former is utterly extraordinary.

But as others have said, let's wait for the properly weighted poll rather than a small subsample.

Will resources be a problem for the Tories with so many potential wins? If the ground game really matters as much as some say, will the sheer number of winnable constituencies and the money required prove a barrier, in addition to the few seats they'll need to actively defend?

If the election pans out as polling indicates then plenty of Con gains will be won without needing to really try. There could also be a lot of near misses where nobody spots the shifts because lack of intel etc
    One wonders how much of this has been coming since the Brown meltdown but a large % of the WWC wouldn't vote for a toff. They started going kipper in 2015 and are now decamping to planet May
    The Wales poll will tell us alot about provincial England imo.

Just reflecting on Theresa May's decision - is this one of the masterstrokes of all time in politics.

Reduces labour to irrelevance, gives Nicola a huge problem, and re-establishes the conservatives as the dominant party in Wales
    I am reminded again of my daughter's comment. "This is so Frank Underwood". She was spot on.

justin124 said:

You might be right that @Pulpstar is attaching too much weight to Leave/Remain, but does it make much difference to the big picture? Use UNS if you prefer; it still ain't pretty for Labour.
    Looks like 1983 to me not many will remember or care about 1931.

I think the way she sprung the election shows a healthy appetite for low political cunning. I think She executed one of the best tactical feints since Napoleon abandoned the Pratzen Heights.
    dr_spyn said:
    And it had been going so well for Macron up to this point.
    It reminds me a bit of the February 1974 election when Ted Heath went to the country at the time of his 3 Day Week on a Who rules Britain? platform.He was unable to sustain that even in a three week campaign - never mind the seven weeks we are now faced with. I actually sense that Brexit is already less dominant than a week ago

chestnut said:

Yes, but there's a big difference between Wales alone and Wales + E Mids + W Mids. For Con to be on 50% in the latter is very healthy; to be on 50% in the former is utterly extraordinary.

But as others have said, let's wait for the properly weighted poll rather than a small subsample.
    Yes, agreed.

YG had the Tories on 52 in England, while two polls have the Tories around 30 in Scotland, so Wales is probably well into the mid 40s at least.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

@AndrewCooper__: @martinboon @ICMResearch @guardian @Conservatives This pattern - huge swings to Tories in Labour (inc *safe*) seats (& slight slippage in safe Tory seats) - is consistent with other data

The Tories losing share in safe seats is great news for them. My calc has them on 80% in South Holland, best for them those votes go elsewhere.
    It's very unusual for a Conservative candidate to get more than about 68% in any constituency no matter how safe it is, and IMO that's likely to continue at this election. Therefore they won't get much of an increase in the seats where they're already near that level like Maidenhead and Beaconsfield. As you say, that means they must be doing better elsewhere.
    That's like the zero-bound issue we had with the Lib Dems last time which suggested that they simply couldn't keep as many of their seats as was expected. Why do the Tories have such an upper bound, and is there a structural reason why is it lower than the Labour upper bound (cf Liverpool Walton, East Ham etc)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    Another poll with Tories sub 50 and only 21 point lead....Feedback from week 1 of the campaign...Must try harder.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    justin124 said:

It reminds me a bit of the February 1974 election when Ted Heath went to the country at the time of his 3 Day Week on a Who rules Britain? platform.He was unable to sustain that even in a three week campaign - never mind the seven weeks we are now faced with. I actually sense that Brexit is already less dominant than a week ago

Eh?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,526
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Lib Dem GAIN
    I don’t expect the LibDems to do very well. Labour will surely seek to remind voters that they were ‘the Tories’ little helpers’ for five years.. Some of the apparently promising LibDem targets also flatter to deceive. To take Cambridge as an example – the Labour MP elected in 2015 can now expect an incumbency bonus whilst the LibDems there have lost theirs – so Labour effectively enjoys a double incumbency boost there. He is also an ardent Remainer in so far as that may prove salient. The other point is that until 1992 Cambridge was normally a Tory seat – and the LibDems have only progressed at all there via Tory tactical votes and Labour voters alienated by Iraq in 2005. The latter are very unlikely to switch back to the LibDems, and if the Tories really do poll circa 45% nationally, why would they continue to vote tactically rather than going home to their own party? Labour has twice – in 1992 & 2015 – won the seat from third place.Why should the Tories not contemplate doing the same
    Not really. They are not just Tories, they are educated Cambridge Remainer Tories. And the Tory organisation locally is very weak.
    Spot on.
  • The story of the day on June 8th is going to be differential turnout. The Tories are miles ahead in the polls, with some apparently astonishing shares. And better in Labour seats! What this means in practice is that a very significant proportion of previously (and potentially future) Labour voters can't face it this time around. They'll just not turn up. Overall turnout won't be dramatic. But the final share of the votes will be. Tories up. Labour down. Expect new record highs for the number of absolute votes for Tories and new record lows for Labour.
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

That's like the zero-bound issue we had with the Lib Dems last time which suggested that they simply couldn't keep as many of their seats as was expected. Why do the Tories have such an upper bound, and is there a structural reason why is it lower than the Labour upper bound (cf Liverpool Walton, East Ham etc)
    Anyone but the Tories has always been stronger than anyone but labour. Till now

Another poll with Tories sub 50 and only 21 point lead....Feedback from week 1 of the campaign...Must try harder.

You mean engage second gear? They have barely started yet. All the damage to date has been self inflicted by Corbyn.
    Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

I think Labour would take a 1983 result right now.
    So if the pattern repeated Labour would drift down to what 18-20?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You do have to feel for the voters of Cambridge. All those footsoldiers from all those parties, and nowhere else sensible for them to campaign for miles around. They'll practically be able to assign each voter their own personal activists.
    Patrick said:

The story of the day on June 8th is going to be differential turnout. The Tories are miles ahead in the polls, with some apparently astonishing shares. And better in Labour seats! What this means in practice is that a very significant proportion of previously (and potentially future) Labour voters can't face it this time around. They'll just not turn up. Overall turnout won't be dramatic. But the final share of the votes will be. Tories up. Labour down. Expect new record highs for the number of absolute votes for Tories and new record lows for Labour.

Hmmm...The way I remember it in 1992 Kinnock was thought to have a decent chance of winning and that is what brought out the barely bothered. I am not sure that is going to be a factor this time.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    DavidL said:

You mean engage second gear? They have barely started yet. All the damage to date has been self inflicted by Corbyn.
    The Tories are just observing one of Napoleon's maxims. Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.
  • Pulpstar said:

Maybe. But don't forget Labour have been running Wales. Badly. The bread and butter issues of domestic politics are not things Labour in Wales can shout about. They have, like in Scotland, taken their vote for granted for a long time. If that is broken now then, also like Scotland, it's not coming back anytime soon.
    But England is a bit different as they haven't been in charge.

DavidL said:

The Tories are just observing one of Napoleon's maxims. Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.
    On that basis May can probably go for another extended walking holiday.
    DavidL said:

Patrick said:

The story of the day on June 8th is going to be differential turnout. The Tories are miles ahead in the polls, with some apparently astonishing shares. And better in Labour seats! What this means in practice is that a very significant proportion of previously (and potentially future) Labour voters can't face it this time around. They'll just not turn up. Overall turnout won't be dramatic. But the final share of the votes will be. Tories up. Labour down. Expect new record highs for the number of absolute votes for Tories and new record lows for Labour.

Hmmm...The way I remember it in 1992 Kinnock was thought to have a decent chance of winning and that is what brought out the barely bothered. I am not sure that is going to be a factor this time.
    This one will be less about the shires and con/Lib battlegrounds than it will be the vengeance of the WWC against a Labour party they feel have betrayed them and no longer share their concerns. It will have been noted in the NE, Yorkshire and Wales what happened in Scotland 2015, and that the intractable can be punished. And will be

You do have to feel for the voters of Cambridge. All those footsoldiers from all those parties, and nowhere else sensible for them to campaign for miles around. They'll practically be able to assign each voter their own personal activists.

And they will be switching off their phones in the evening too.
  • Yorkcity said:

Every day Corbyn becomes more of a liability and today the communist party have endorsed him.

And in the meantime the PM keeps out of the limelight working on the manifesto and having photos taken with her candidates.

I think you must love Theresa May you support her every action.Even the mundane .
    My wife and I are both impressed with Theresa May as we want a solid competent politician leading our Country.

If the narrative continues to June 8th many many millions will agree all across the UK

Also having a large Scots family we want the Union to be preserved and both Theresa May and Ruth Davidson are champions of the union of the UK
  • DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Not sure I understand your logic. The Tories smell blood and will be out in force, hoovering up alot of Ukip votes into the bargain. Labour? They look a bit chaotic and demoralised to me. And they will struggle with the 'stop the Tories' vote as many of them won't be able to vote Corbyn.
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe. But don't forget Labour have been running Wales. Badly. The bread and butter issues of domestic politics are not things Labour in Wales can shout about. They have, like in Scotland, taken their vote for granted for a long time. If that is broken now then, also like Scotland, it's not coming back anytime soon.
    Hmm More I mean a UK wide poll includes Scotland, and London.

The biggest city in Wales is Cardiff, which is about the same size as Coventry. Wales is two small cities and lots of towns and plenty of ex mining - much more like the sorts of areas in England where Labour has historic support and might just be doing badly.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2017
    @Tissue_Price

Daggers must be a 3 way Marginal.. its one of the few seats the Kippers will be trying in/have a chance

Current polls favour the Tories
    Labour hold all 51 council seats
    Kippers 2nd last time and runners up in 50 council seats

Big BAME population
    Big Old Labour population
    Voted for Brexit

The anti mosque/burqa lines will go down well

10/1 Kippers get on!
    Patrick said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Not sure I understand your logic. The Tories smell blood and will be out in force, hoovering up alot of Ukip votes into the bargain. Labour? They look a bit chaotic and demoralised to me. And they will struggle with the 'stop the Tories' vote as many of them won't be able to vote Corbyn.
    I thought you were talking about overall turnout. I think that will be down because Labour will not be able to bring themselves to vote for that man and the Tories will be more than a bit confident. I don't see the Tories challenging Major's record in those circumstances.
    Patrick said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

When there's a big swing between the two main parties, a lot of people will turn out just to give their former party an absolute kicking, as in 1997. If this election becomes a referendum on Corbyn, the result will be brutal.
  • llefllef Posts: 300
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

for reference, ITN Wales poll in January of this year had following %s

labour 33%
    cons 28%
    plaid 13%
    ukip 13%
    libs 9%

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-01-09/poll-shows-labour-seats-at-risk/

its possible (likely?) that labour and the tories have swapped places (and %s)
    Patrick said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

I have a sneaky feeling that turnout will be quite healthy.
    ToryJim said:

So if the pattern repeated Labour would drift down to what 18-20?
    Well - at the moment Labour appears to be edgng higher .It is also 7 week campaign compared with 4 weeks in 1983.
  • The Welsh subsample from the ICM poll today is amusing (unless you're Welsh Labour).

Welsh result in 2015:

Labour 25 seats 36.9%
    Conservative 11 seats 27.2%

What's a bloodbath?
    Lets see if the poll confirms the rumours
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    I know its pretty unreliable but long range weather forcast for June 8th has a nice warm day with possible showers
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

We need to hear from lab posters more to puncture this swelling blue optimism before it gets too expensive a bubble... I imagine Tim is doing his bit on twitter ??

tim's view of Corbyn pretty much coincides with everyone else's.

There will be blue wobbles in the coming weeks, probably over tax-raising pledges, but the big picture is surely that the tories are run by competent adults, that we haven't even started on IRA/Hamas yet, that Corbyn has not been provoked into a carcrash/meltdown on telly yet,and that every competent adult connected with Labour will be keeping a low profile, possibly adopting the Niqab or Burka for the duration of the campaign.
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Yes you are right there , I thought 150 majority for the conservatives similar to 1983, maybe I am wrong.I remember the same ridicule over Michael Foot as leader.If this was a boxing match the trainer would through the towel in .Kicking someone when they are down is not a good look.I suspect many Labour voters might not think much of Corbyn but do not want Labour destroyed but are able to fight another day.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Also seen that June 21 is favourite for State Opening - very much doubt HM The Queen would be in favour of that being in middle of Royal Ascot
    marke09 said:

I know its pretty unreliable but long range weather forcast for June 8th has a nice warm day with possible showers

Who'd have predicted that for early June?!
    Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Yes you are right there , I thought 150 majority for the conservatives similar to 1983, maybe I am wrong.I remember the same ridicule over Michael Foot as leader.If this was a boxing match the trainer would through the towel in .Kicking someone when they are down is not a good look.I suspect many Labour voters might not think much of Corbyn but do not want Labour destroyed but are able to fight another day.
    If anything is pushing Labour a fraction higher it is that last thought. It will be a factor.

Yorkcity said:

My wife and I are both impressed with Theresa May as we want a solid competent politician leading our Country.

If the narrative continues to June 8th many many millions will agree all across the UK

Also having a large Scots family we want the Union to be preserved and both Theresa May and Ruth Davidson are champions of the union of the UK
    But you were probably going to vote for her anyway. Labour needs to counter that by pushing strongly the ' You cannot believe a word of what she says' message. Would Labour be able to call her a liar in a PPB? I am thinking of 'She lied about A - She lied about B - How can we believe anything she says?' Go to town and make her dishonesty a central campaign issue!
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Ishmael_Z said:

We need to hear from lab posters more to puncture this swelling blue optimism before it gets too expensive a bubble... I imagine Tim is doing his bit on twitter ??

There will be blue wobbles in the coming weeks, probably over tax-raising pledges, but the big picture is surely that the tories are run by competent adults, that we haven't even started on IRA/Hamas yet, that Corbyn has not been provoked into a carcrash/meltdown on telly yet,and that every competent adult connected with Labour will be keeping a low profile, possibly adopting the Niqab or Burka for the duration of the campaign.

This election is all about Corbyn. He is the only game in town. There is literally nothing that the Tories can do or say that will cause them to lose on 8th June. I am coming round to the view that Labour could be closer to 100 seats than 150 come 9th June.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

But you were probably going to vote for her anyway. Labour needs to counter that by pushing strongly the ' You cannot believe a word of what she says' message. Would Labour be able to call her a liar in a PPB? I am thinking of 'She lied about A - She lied about B - How can we believe anything she says?' Go to town and make her dishonesty a central campaign issue!
    Well what are A and B in this context? The 'tens of thousands' migration pledge makes zero sense coming from Corbyn's Labour. As for saying she wouldn't hold an election, I'm not convinced people are bothered about her going back on that.
    Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

But why has Labour gone up from 25% to 27% with ICM in a week? Or from 23% to 25% with Yougov?
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Essexit said:

justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Well what are A and B in this context? The 'tens of thousands' migration pledge makes zero sense coming from Corbyn's Labour. As for saying she wouldn't hold an election, I'm not convinced people are bothered about her going back on that.
    More to the point, Labour and the Lib Dems supported her call for an election, so they can't make anything of that.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Lib Dems campaign event in Vauxhall - they might have a chance here , labour MP prominent brexiteer https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/856518238636834816/photo/1
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

But why has Labour gone up from 25% to 27% with ICM in a week? Or from 23% to 25% with Yougov?
    Could it be something to do with Mrs May, something she has said or done?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

True she does not need to do anything until 9th June.Trying to make out there is the chance of a coalition between the other parties looks a bit sad.
  • Tory Jim - If turnout is healthy that means death for Labour. I say this because it will be Tory votes keeping it up.
    Ilef - Tories leading Labour in Wales (possibly significantly) would be a massive crossover point. Let's wait for the poll. If it is it presages a big result.
    WilliamGlenn - Agree. If the working classes have finally lost it with Labour they will vote with the zealotry of the convert.

But - let's not get too ahead of ourselves. A big result is on the cards but I'll wait until I call a WTF wipeout. Some polls will soon tell us.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    justin124 said:

Heath was up against Wilson and a Labour front bench that featured the likes of Healey, Callaghan, Shore, Foot, Jenkins and Williams. May isn't.
  • justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

With respect Justin calling someone a liar, especially someone who is popular, is another vote closer
    Off-topic:

The following news report into the Croydon tram crash is interesting:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39457148

It seems that, as reported at the time, there were several incidents on this line before the accident, and three since.

It'll be interesting to see why these prior incidents were not picked up (or why they were ignored if they were). Also, if it's true that staff are not reporting near-misses for fear of their jobs.

Near-misses are a vital tool in safety, and it could be that Tramlink were ignoring them, preferring to blame the drivers ...
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    marke09 said:

Sorry but 6 weeks out is beyond our science captain... meaningless!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Observer, if that were the case, (I am unconvinced, personally), it'd leave Labour teetering on the precipice.
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

True she does not need to do anything until 9th June.Trying to make out there is the chance of a coalition between the other parties looks a bit sad.
    The reality is that the Coalition of Chaos is entirely within the Labour party. And its still getting worse.
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

I've not crunched the numbers but my guess would be UKIP decline (which'd be why the Con shares have gone up too).

The question for Labour now is whether they can hold off the Lib Dems from making gains into their share as Farron tries to position themselves as 'the real opposition'.
    Decapitation strategies rarely work but Kate Hoey might JUST be the exception to prove the rule.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. L, the stars are aligning for the Conservatives. Doesn't today's Independent have a 'front page' of Blair prognosticating on the woes of leaving the EU?
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

If anything is pushing Labour a fraction higher it is that last thought. It will be a factor.
    Don't forget most people do not spend their time analysing poll details and Scottish subsamples etc etc

A good lot of people do not know if their own seat is safe or marginal. Most people will not know what the pundits are saying and really almost nobody at all will think about it in enough detail to adjust their vote attempt to possibly mitigate a purported bloodbath for the long term democratic health of the nation.

People will just vote for who they want to vote for and not analyse the detailed possible consequences.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

This election is all about Corbyn. He is the only game in town. There is literally nothing that the Tories can do or say that will cause them to lose on 8th June. I am coming round to the view that Labour could be closer to 100 seats than 150 come 9th June.
    As Williamglenn said down thread this could become a referendum on Corbyn and as each day passes it really does feel it is morphing into that
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

With respect Justin calling someone a liar, especially someone who is popular, is another vote closer
    Shhhh! They are too busy talking to themselves and when they do encounter someone with a positive impression of May (bit difficult to avoid as they are around half the population) it can be put down to false consciesness....
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    While movements of =< 2 % are well within MOE and probably not worth the oxygen ...

ICM's last polls

Con 48% Lab 27% LD 10% April 24th
    Con 46% Lab 25% LibDem 11% April 19th (after announcement)
    Con 44% Labour 26% LD 10% April 18th (all fieldwork collected before announcement)

I might have missed something, but the only non-MOE change there is ...

The scientist in me is also telling you that 2 data points do not make a trend.
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On which topic, Labour has gone very quiet about debates, which might have been a tricky topic for May.

justin124 said:

Heath was up against Wilson and a Labour front bench that featured the likes of Healey, Callaghan, Shore, Foot, Jenkins and Williams. May isn't.
    Crossland, Crossman, Castle and Mason. WTF happened to this party?
    Pulpstar said:

Decapitation strategies rarely work but Kate Hoey might JUST be the exception to prove the rule.

Given that her local party wanted to deselect her I don't think decapitation is the right metaphor. More like an ectomy.
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • DavidL said:

justin124 said:

Crossland, Crossman, Castle and Mason. WTF happened to this party?
    Identity politics.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2017
    YouGov next

Con 48% Lab 25% April 20-21st
    Con 48% Lab 24% April 18-19th (after announcement)
    Con 44% Labour 23% April 12-13th

yeah, 2 % there, but there's something much more significant going on.

• felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Oh dear... here we go...
    edited April 2017
    Corbyn might as well do an Honorius to the Romano-British to his MPs. They might even prefer it.
This discussion has been closed.