Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This month’s ComRes phone poll for the Indy has the Tories

13»

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    "Paddy Ashdown surprises Libby Wiener - ITN OB 1992":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL-Of7nPHP4&amp
    Has anyone ever changed their vote as a result of seeing a candidate being surrounded by supporters holding up placards?
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Probably by voting for the opponent
    Andy_JS said:

Has anyone ever changed their vote as a result of seeing a candidate being surrounded by supporters holding up placards?

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Looks like PoliceScotland may have to be reported to twitter....

https://twitter.com/JamesManning4/status/362336059230666753/photo/1
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Neil said:

@tim

My personal highlight was when, out of nowhere, Toby claimed that Stella wanted to stop men abusing women but was fine with women abusing men.

I'd pay money to see Toby Young vs Heather Mills-McCartney, just to settle once and for all who should never go on TV ever again.

It's almost a perfect storm of stupidity. All we need is the idiot's idiot Dan Hodges to join in.
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 10m

Are @policescotland now going to be banned from twitter for harassing @toadmeister?
    Marvellous! ;^ )

• isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Grandiose said:

surbiton said:

JohnO said:

surbiton said:

JohnO said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

@Tyke

With FTPT,Labour can afford to relax.You can try the hell you want,you aren`t getting a majority.If you din`t when Labour were 29%,you aren`t getting it when we are 35% atleast.

Yeah, feel free to chillax. Put your feet up - no point doing all that tedious canvassing and campaigning stuff when disgruntled LibDems are falling over themselves to vote for you.
    Do Tories even know how to canvass ? Or, do you employ a company to canvas for you ? The Tory organisation is so pathetic. Half of them look as if they are dead...oh, they are dead !!
    That's why we beat the cr@p out of you (and the LibDems) at last Thursday's Kingston by-election. Or perhaps it was your own delightful approach to telling?
    We doubled our votes. What did you do ?
    Won the seat by a big majority
    Get this, The by election was caused by the Leader of the Council indulging in funny behaviour and you are the main and only opposition party and you failed to increase your percentage share.

Pathetic !
    Yet the Tories still won the seat! Remember FPTP, its seats not votes that count!
    Remember, Sunil, what really counts in maintaining good standards of grammar throughout.

Full stop. Grammar time!
    It seems to be a point of principle for feminists to show some of their cleavage almost in spite of themselves.

I think the thought process goes something like this: they don't actually want to do it but the thought of some old fogey telling them they ought not to do it paradoxically impels them to do the opposite.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Andy_JS said:

It seems to be a point of principle for feminists to show some of their cleavage almost in spite of themselves.

You'll be glad to know that this feminist always tries to keep his cleavage covered.
    edited July 2013
    Whoops - some idiot was talking over the top of that video which I didn't expect.

Sorry about that.

Moderator can delete the video if possible.
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The commentary accompanying it made it more interesting. Definitely, no reason to be sorry.
    Andy_JS said:

Whoops - some idiot was talking over the top of that video which I didn't expect.

Sorry about that.

Moderator can delete the video if possible.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003
    isam said:

Grandiose said:

surbiton said:

JohnO said:

surbiton said:

JohnO said:

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

@Tyke

With FTPT,Labour can afford to relax.You can try the hell you want,you aren`t getting a majority.If you din`t when Labour were 29%,you aren`t getting it when we are 35% atleast.

Yeah, feel free to chillax. Put your feet up - no point doing all that tedious canvassing and campaigning stuff when disgruntled LibDems are falling over themselves to vote for you.
    Do Tories even know how to canvass ? Or, do you employ a company to canvas for you ? The Tory organisation is so pathetic. Half of them look as if they are dead...oh, they are dead !!
    That's why we beat the cr@p out of you (and the LibDems) at last Thursday's Kingston by-election. Or perhaps it was your own delightful approach to telling?
    We doubled our votes. What did you do ?
    Won the seat by a big majority
    Get this, The by election was caused by the Leader of the Council indulging in funny behaviour and you are the main and only opposition party and you failed to increase your percentage share.

Pathetic !
    Yet the Tories still won the seat! Remember FPTP, it's seats not votes that count!
    Remember, Sunil, what really counts in maintaining good standards of grammar throughout.

Full stop. Grammar time!
    Damn! Too late to go back and edit it now!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003
    Neil said:

Andy_JS said:

You'll be glad to know that this feminist always tries to keep his cleavage covered.
    I didn't know you had moobs!

:)
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,456

Just for clarity, when Stark Dawning appears to be quoting me below, he's not! He's messed up his /blockquotes so his own thoughts appear as mine. (It's easy to do.)
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,446
    A wonderful day on Lake Michigan rounded off by seeing dear old Toby taken apart on Newsnight. He really should leave that kind of debating to the grown-ups. Wonderful stuff!
  • Southam, whereabouts on Lake Michigan? (Hopefully niot the Indiana State Penitentiary!) And are the fish bitting?
  • Just read on Politico.com that Anthony Weiner has been judged morally unfit by . . . wait for it . . . Eliot Spitzer! Pretty bad when you're dissed on ethical grounds by would-be comptroller who notably failed to comptroll himself . . .

Also interesting how the Clintonistas (except for Huma) are working overtime to distance Mrs Clinton from Mr Weiner. Ditto that Weiner also took that (in his case politically unhelpful) position, with his remark that he only cares what NYC voters (not Westchesterites like Clintons) think. Wheels within wheels?
    "Police concerned about three missing sisters

Police are "very concerned" for the safety of three sisters who went missing from a day centre in London on Tuesday.

The girls have been named as Shaventelle Downer, five, and identical twins Shania and Shamina Rose, aged 12.

They went missing from a daycare centre on St George's Road, SE1 and were last seen running towards the Elephant and Castle.

The children are from the Camberwell area and have also recently been living in Croydon."

http://news.sky.com/story/1122465/police-concerned-about-three-missing-sisters
  • dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

A wonderful day on Lake Michigan rounded off by seeing dear old Toby taken apart on Newsnight. He really should leave that kind of debating to the grown-ups. Wonderful stuff!

It would be good if there was someone grown-up to do it. Seems there is a grain of a point in there somewhere- during the "Arab spring" etc all the same media types were championing twitter as a tool of freedom- precisely because it can act outside of local laws.

Well, I don't know. Surely these are free speech debates which have been done to death, and I am no expert.

• john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    @SouthamObserver

Wonderful poll as well.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,446
    edited July 2013

Southam, whereabouts on Lake Michigan? (Hopefully niot the Indiana State Penitentiary!) And are the fish bitting?

Place called Holland. We've rented a place just by the shore. It's so peaceful. The lake is vast and still. No fishing, but plenty of swimming - even though the water is bone-achingly cold. I am just adding west Michigan to the places I could happily live in the US, along with New England, West Virginia, Chicago and San Francisco.

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pretty consistent with the other polls - the Tories are clearly recovering the UKIP froth for now, but Labour's vote is unchanged, as is the LibDem preference for Labour. It's reasonable to guess that the Tory jump includes former UKIP people who are now officially don't know but admit to preferring the Tories.

I think that points towards a pretty fair summary of the situation since the last election (and why I suspect there will be a hung Parliament next time).

Basically, neither the Tories nor Labour have convinced anyone who did not support them at the last election to become committed backers. This is not surprising given that there was such a clear divide (at least in presentation) on macroeconomic issues - the most important topic at the 2010 election.

There have been two basic shifts:

(1) A chunk of the left-leaning LibDems who believe that they were voting for a morally-upright version of Labour has moved to back Ed. This isn't because Ed has positively convinced them of anything, but because they are pissed off with Clegg and they don't consider the Tories.

(2) A chunk of Tories moved to UKIP. This seems to be unwinding for now, driven by better party management, more discipline, fading of the noise over gay marriage and other liberal moves by this government.

I think that the 2015 election will, at its core, be driven by macro considerations again. So it is logical that the core votes for Labour and the Tories will remain the same. That means there are only two factors to play for:

- How many of the UKIP 12% the Tories can win back. If they get them down to 5 (based on Cameron's comment) and win all that share that gets the Tories to 40-41%.

- How many of the LD defectors vote for Labour. Let's say that all of Labour's gains (+8 I think) since 2010 are from this source.

Implications is that Labour's range is 29-37, and the Tories are 34 - 41. My guess is that it will end up with Tories around 35/36 and Labour on 33/34. Seats will dependent on vote distribution.

But the basic conclusion is we are heading for a hung Parliament - but with all to play for
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

@Plato

Isnt is amazing that broadcasting a programme accused of towing the Coalition government's line on benefits results in accusations of left-wing bias?

If I've read it correctly (not read the actually report) Humphries was criticised by the Trust for the programme... hence the complaint of bias (that the Trust is criticising someone for a positive programme).

Personally I don't think that the BBC is consciously biased, although there is a tendency towards groupthink that isn't particularly helpful. But absolute neutrality is a very hard standard to manage
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,701
    I hadn't come across Stella Creasy(?) until last night when she made Toby Young look ridiculous but she's very good and quite charismatic which is something Ed isn't. Is she in with a chance?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,701
    Though it was time someone exposed Toby Young for what he is I thought Stella's talent was misdirected on that particular subject. It's the nature of twitter that it encourages puerile comments from puerile people and the fact that spotty twelve year old boys are sending obscene tweets shouldn't exercise any MP's time.

Exposing Toby for what he is is a service but not as part of a clean up twitter campaign.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,716

Just read on Politico.com that Anthony Weiner has been judged morally unfit by . . . wait for it . . . Eliot Spitzer! Pretty bad when you're dissed on ethical grounds by would-be comptroller who notably failed to comptroll himself . . .

Also interesting how the Clintonistas (except for Huma) are working overtime to distance Mrs Clinton from Mr Weiner. Ditto that Weiner also took that (in his case politically unhelpful) position, with his remark that he only cares what NYC voters (not Westchesterites like Clintons) think. Wheels within wheels?

Weiner (and there's a fine surname!) seems to be out of his mind.

This discussion has been closed.