Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The canvas data that proved to be spot on in Richmond suggests

124»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Mr. 86, hmm.

Surely: "Good job I'm not a criminal"? :p

And here's me thinking that criminal betting was betting on crime, just like we bet on politics.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

Mr. 86, hmm.

And here's me thinking that criminal betting was betting on crime, just like we bet on politics.
    The rise of the 'Ndrangheta provided a good return on 'which italian mafia syndicate would become the most powerful' bets. But I think the Camorra have a promising future.

The Mexican cartel markets are far too fluid to place any long term bets though.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Glenn, ha, imagine watching the exchange and seeing the odds on your assassination suddenly tumble.

Mrs C, bah. Jesus never even visited Rome.
  • Options
    Any predicted dates yet for the return of direct rule in NI? At present they seem to be at the ' the other side are inflexible, bu which I mean won't do as we want, which is totally different from us' stage.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Mr. 86, hmm.

The rise of the 'Ndrangheta provided a good return on 'which italian mafia syndicate would become the most powerful' bets. But I think the Camorra have a promising future.

The Mexican cartel markets are far too fluid to place any long term bets though.
    I think he's talking about which banks will move where post Brexit
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, ha, imagine watching the exchange and seeing the odds on your assassination suddenly tumble.

I'm sure he'd have been happy with the popes occasionally being listed as the Pontifex Maximus, an ancient Roman title.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Not in person Mr Dancer, but he has definitely been there a while by proxy :D
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

The Scottish Lib Dems have areas of massive strength and areas where there are hardly any members/activists. The Western half of the central belt has always been particularly weak for the party (apart from Greenock & East Dunbartonshire). In some areas all it takes is for a few key members to move away or get involved in other things and you can end up with no organisation at all.

That being said, the Scottish LDs should be able to make decent gains in the traditional strongholds where they're the best organised opposition to the SNP. My feeling is that the Tories are going to make significant progress elsewhere and Labour are going to have an unpleasant night. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out in terms of control of the councils.

Yeah, Scotland is the one part of the UK where the LibDems have always had a very efficiently-distributed vote, and where FPTP works very much in their favour: witness 1997 where they came a pretty distant 4th in votes in Scotland, yet came 2nd on seats.
    They were even more well distributed in the Holyrood elections last year. Their vote barely budged, but they won two more FPTP constituencies at a canter*.

* And were there an election tomorrow, I'd expect them to pick up the Westminster versions of both these constituencies (NE Fife, Edinburgh West) from the SNP.
    NE Fife, Mings old seat, probably yes. Edinburgh West much more difficult. The Lib Dems are bleeding support to the Tories in the capital.
    The Conservative vote dipped, albeit marginally, last year in Edinburgh Western (which is 80% of the parliamentary Edinburgh West constituency), while the LDs increased 14% (almost all at the expense of Labour).

It wasn't even particularly close: 42% for the LDs vs 34% for the SNP.
    There's a lot of pro-Union tactical voting happening in Edinburgh. The Conservatives, Lib Dems and Labour won a constituency seat each at Holyrood on that tactical voting.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    kle4 said:

Any predicted dates yet for the return of direct rule in NI? At present they seem to be at the ' the other side are inflexible, bu which I mean won't do as we want, which is totally different from us' stage.

Doesn't the SoS have discretion to bring together a 'novel' coalition, even something unlikely like the SDLP, Sinn Fein, Alliance and (I think) UUP? If it can command a majority, and agree on a few things, it might be viable for a limited period while the other Unionists go through their current difficulties (caused by blowing almost £500 per person on a corrupt energy subsidy.).

Norfolk CC is I think run by a coalition of the L.Dems, UKIP, Green and Labour
    https://www.localgov.co.uk/Rainbow-coalition-established-at-Norfolk-CC/27951
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    If it has not already been posted, this is an interesting read on Spain's interest in a soft Brexit:
    http://chronicle.gi/2017/04/why-spain-would-like-a-soft-brexit-for-the-uk/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

If it has not already been posted, this is an interesting read on Spain's interest in a soft Brexit:

except for the contentious issue of Gibraltar, the UK overseas territory perched on the southern tip of Spain

On a point of pedantry, shouldn't that be 'perched on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula'?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

kle4 said:

Doesn't the SoS have discretion to bring together a 'novel' coalition, even something unlikely like the SDLP, Sinn Fein, Alliance and (I think) UUP? If it can command a majority, and agree on a few things, it might be viable for a limited period while the other Unionists go through their current difficulties (caused by blowing almost £500 per person on a corrupt energy subsidy.).

No - Norfolk has had a minority Tory administration for 12 months.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Mr. kle4, bah. The Popes claim to be Vicar of Christ, when they're bishops of a city he never visited, and claim an ancient title that belonged to an empire that doesn't exist any more.

I might as well claim to be William Marshal's best mate and Holy Roman Emperor.

Edited extra bit: shade grumpy, perhaps, but Francis' comments after the Charlie Hebdo murders really pissed me off.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, bah. The Popes claim to be Vicar of Christ, when they're bishops of a city he never visited, and claim an ancient title that belonged to an empire that doesn't exist any more.

I might as well claim to be William Marshal's best mate and Holy Roman Emperor.

Edited extra bit: shade grumpy, perhaps, but Francis' comments after the Charlie Hebdo murders really pissed me off.

Was that when he said something like if you insult someone's religion, expect to get punched?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

BudG said:

Well this poll could put the cat amongst the betting pigeons

Elabe

Macron 24 (+0.5)
    Le Pen 23 ( +0.5)
    Fillon 19.5 (-0.5)
    Melenchon 18 (-0.5)

Not much movement, but the gap is the widest we have seen for a while between the top and bottom 2

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/17042017_bfmtv_lexpress_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles-vague-9.pdf

MoE but has the Melenchon momentum finally run out of steam?
    In the first round it's all about shoring up your core vote. In the second round about being the least objectionable to the most number of people. Macron is the odd one out because he doesn't have a core vote to shore up. However he does have distinct message - that France can progress by embracing the modern world. The three others all think the modern world is a problem. Macron has to hope that a quarter of French men and women agree sufficiently to vote for him. If they do, he will probably win by being less objectionable then the other one. I can't see Melenchon voters switching to Fillon or vice versa. It's doubtful Le Pen has detoxified her party enough to win half the votes.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

No - Norfolk has had a minority Tory administration for 12 months.
    I'm out of date then ... my excuse, I live on the English/Welsh border.

But 2-3 yrs. for another coalition would give the DUP ages to sort themselves out and maybe return to being the main party of govt. under another leader. Ideally someone who can get on with Sinn Fein in a spirit of jollity, like Paisley and McGuiness somehow managed to do.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, aye. It was more "If someone insults my mother, I'll punch them in the face", I think.

Rancid comments after the murder of cartoonists for drawing Mohammed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    New thread!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MTimT said:

Thank you, a very interesting article.

I have every sympathy with those whose lives are thrown into uncertainty by the Brexit vote. OTOH, I'm old enough to remember that people used to retire to Spain long before we joined the EU. How did they manage, I wonder?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

FPT London is quite right to fight for those EU Agencies (even though we are highly unlikely to retain them). It's part of the bargaining process.

I imagine HMG will say "OK, you want to take these Agencies from us? Then give us 20% of the assets of all the other EU Agencies, across Europe, which the UK has helped to fund and staff since the UK acceded in 1973."

It's a perfectly fair request: in a divorce you divide the assets. It will be fiendishly complicated and messy and it is possible - just possible - an accord could be reached whereby the UK kept, say, the EMA in return for not making a claim on the other agencies - much easier and cleaner for all.

And even if the EU refuses (as they very probably will) it will concentrate minds in Brussels. The UK has claims on the EU, as well as vice versa.

What garbage, how can you exit the EU but want their agenies based in London. Only a nutjob would even consider that is remotely likely. You will have your Brexit Agency and that will be it, Billy no mates.
    A keeper if SNP hold another Indy Ref..
This discussion has been closed.