Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The canvas data that proved to be spot on in Richmond suggests

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,371
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I reckon Fillon is going to win this, now. Remarkable, seeing as he was an inch away from bowing out entirely, a few weeks back.

Where does he get his R2 votes from?

I think it will be him versus either Macron or Le Pen.

He'll get all the rightwing votes versus Macron, and all the anti-Le Pen votes versus Le Pen.
    The most recent poll has him losing 70-30 to Macron. That's going to be almost impossible to overcome. Macron isn't a weak candidate.
    lol, I hadn't seen that poll. Yes, that is unideal for Fillon.

I still can't quite believe the French will go for Macron, who is more of the same only he worked for big banks as well, when this is a nation crying out for change (or so we are told), a nation ready to give the Establishment a kicking.

When it's Fillon v Macron, Fillon is the change candidate.

But I guess one should never underestimate the French ability to shrug, and grudgingly accept the status quo, after a lot of whingeing.
    I think that is misreading things. Macron actually offers a significant break with the past, both politically (the first president from outside the party system since de Gaulle) and economically (he advocates reforms that the economic establishment thinks is long overdue). Question is, whether the latter is actually change that the French voters are ready for.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I reckon Fillon is going to win this, now. Remarkable, seeing as he was an inch away from bowing out entirely, a few weeks back.

He'll get all the rightwing votes versus Macron, and all the anti-Le Pen votes versus Le Pen.
    The most recent poll has him losing 70-30 to Macron. That's going to be almost impossible to overcome. Macron isn't a weak candidate.

Melenchon also comfortably beats Fillon in hypothetical R2 match-ups. That gives a strong clue as to how transfer-(un)friendly Fillon is.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LD canvass data in Richmond Park actually had it Zac 46% LDs 43% so still significantly closer than they have it in Gorton plus the LDs held Richmon Park from 1997 to 2010 unlike Gorton
    https://mobile.twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/802627791292243968

That was with 5 days to go in Richmond , the Gorton figures were with 3 weeks to go . May or may not be significant .
    I doubt the LDs focus leaflets in Gorton can really overcome a 20% margin in the way they could a 3% margin but we will see

Labour managed to get out their vote in Stoke so will be looking to do the same in Gorton.
    Split of anti-Lab vote between Tory and UKIP really helped in Stoke. The fact that all the anti-Corbyn vote can coalesce around one candidate means that Gorton is different. Still a big ask, but I think Mike is right to say a LD victory is now possible.
    It also hangs on how much Galloway retains some appeal to his target constituency
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    HYUFD; as I recall abiout 3 weeks before Richmond the opinion poll had Goldsmith nearly 30% in front! It is not Focus leaflets that determine the outcome, it is people perceptions. Apparaently most people know it is a two horse contest Labour/Lib Dem, they will then judge accordingly.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Melenchon also comfortably beats Fillon in hypothetical R2 match-ups. That gives a strong clue as to how transfer-(un)friendly Fillon is.

I don't think it is comfortable at all. I think what happens in that fortnight favours Fillon.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017

Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Will left-wing and working-class voters really vote for Fillon, even against Le Pen?

I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it.

There does seem to be little difference between the two, except Fillon is more of the French elite and more willing to break the post-war French social contract, while Le Pen actively defends it. The choice is a horrible one. I'd expect most centre and left voters to stay at hom, but for MLP to pick up at least as many Melenchon/Hamon transfers as Fillon gets from Macron.
    Fillon has come in to 4.4, above Le Pen. How fickle the betting market is! Mostly British money, I reckon, reacting to his probably statistically insignificant 1% rise in today's poll. Invested by people who may be unaware of the story of how he didn't return the free suits.

Admittedly Fillon says he'll "ignore" Schengen, but there is a big difference between Fillon the working-week extender and public sector "rationaliser" and Le Pen. Interestingly he has proposed referendums, though, including on immigration. The change to plebiscitary democracy will be big and it will be likely to change the face not just of France but of Europe. Fancy Bear will love it. So will Cambridge Analytica.

PS The people who will vote for Hamon in R1 and Le Pen in R2 must be unlike any Hamon supporters I've ever met.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Lib Dems are in the fortunate position in Gorton of having the potential support of Lib Dem voters, Labour voters who want to get rid of Corbyn, as well as Tory voters who want to see Labour humiliated.

Wrong. Tory supporters who want to see Labour humiliated tneed Corbyn to lead Labour into the election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

lol, I hadn't seen that poll. Yes, that is unideal for Fillon.

I still can't quite believe the French will go for Macron, who is more of the same only he worked for big banks as well, when this is a nation crying out for change (or so we are told), a nation ready to give the Establishment a kicking.

When it's Fillon v Macron, Fillon is the change candidate.

But I guess one should never underestimate the French ability to shrug, and grudgingly accept the status quo, after a lot of whingeing.
    I think that is misreading things. Macron actually offers a significant break with the past, both politically (the first president from outside the party system since de Gaulle) and economically (he advocates reforms that the economic establishment thinks is long overdue). Question is, whether the latter is actually change that the French voters are ready for.
    Or whether they would find such piddly little change offered by a pro-German politician sufficient when far bigger change is on offer.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I don't understand how 31-51 is "struggling". Even if we believe these canvas returns then Labour is expected to get an outright majority of votes with the next closest party about as far behind as Labour is according to Yougov.
  • Options

Lib Dems are in the fortunate position in Gorton of having the potential support of Lib Dem voters, Labour voters who want to get rid of Corbyn, as well as Tory voters who want to see Labour humiliated.

Wrong. Tory supporters who want to see Labour humiliated tneed Corbyn to lead Labour into the election.
    That's overly Machiavellian. Some Tories would take the opportunity to humiliate Labour (including Corbyn) today over a hypothetical general election humiliation in three and a bit years time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Are the rumours true that as part of the Brexit negotiations David Davis now wants the EU Parliament to move from Brussels to London?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

SeanT said:

FPT London is quite right to fight for those EU Agencies (even though we are highly unlikely to retain them). It's part of the bargaining process.

I imagine HMG will say "OK, you want to take these Agencies from us? Then give us 20% of the assets of all the other EU Agencies, across Europe, which the UK has helped to fund and staff since the UK acceded in 1973."

It's a perfectly fair request: in a divorce you divide the assets. It will be fiendishly complicated and messy and it is possible - just possible - an accord could be reached whereby the UK kept, say, the EMA in return for not making a claim on the other agencies - much easier and cleaner for all.

And even if the EU refuses (as they very probably will) it will concentrate minds in Brussels. The UK has claims on the EU, as well as vice versa.

How will it concentrate minds? The EU will merely say EU agencies must be in the EU and subject to EU law.

Yes, EU agencies belong in the EU.

The big issue here isn't the jobs, at least not for the UK. Our share of the workforce between the EBA/EMA is under 100 headcount, whereas the best part of 1k EU citizens will have to relocate from London to wherever the EU plant these functions.

The real issues are the leases.

The EBA has a £1.8m (€2.1m) p.a twelve year rental lease on it's Canary Wharf property which it can break from halfway through - the end of 2020.

Our share of the lease would be about £300k p.a - theirs is £1.5m.

The EMA lease however is a more substantial £10.5m (c.€13m) p.a on a 25 year lease with no breaks between 2015 and 2040. It's a €300m commitment, and the EU's share of the bill is €250m or so over the duration of the lease.

This is the type of thing they will horse trade - we pull out of leases based over there in return for cutting them loose from their commitments over here.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

In case anyone missed it durint the thread change-over, FPT:

Opinium daily rolling poll

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

https://www.lesechos.fr/elections/presidentielle-2017/0211739192332-sondage-le-suivi-quotidien-de-la-presidentielle-2062937.php

This is a pretty significant poll, as Opinionway have tended to be one of the more favourable polls for Le Pen. I said last week that she was not a 1/6 shot to make the final two and this poll bears that out. I think she is gonna miss out!

The other possibility here is that Macron's vote is the softest, with Le Pen you have a lot of far-right types certain to come out and with Fillon you have older and more conservative voters who, as we know, vote.

I'm now thinking it may be a Le Pen / Fillon run off and have adjusted my book accordingly.
    What is driving Le Pen's decline? Presumably the rise of Melenchon. With similar economic views and no nazi past.
    The PVV also fell off in the last two weeks of the Dutch Election.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Are the rumours true that as part of the Brexit negotiations David Davis now wants the EU Parliament to move from Brussels to London?

Yes, the residential floors of the Shard have already been converted.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    A bit of Devils Advocacy:

At this time of year, 2 weeks before a set of Local Government elections, it is normal for political party's to be playing expectation management, i.e. talking down how many wins they may get, so that on the night whatever happens can be proclaimed as a success. However this year does that change for the conservatives? if they exaggerate the expected lab losses, then Coybin and his cronies can clam whatever they do get as a success, which will help him stay in power and be bad for the long term of the labour party.

On that note, who else thinks lab will loses 100 seats or more in each of England, Scotland and wales?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

https://www.lesechos.fr/elections/presidentielle-2017/0211739192332-sondage-le-suivi-quotidien-de-la-presidentielle-2062937.php

This is a pretty significant poll, as Opinionway have tended to be one of the more favourable polls for Le Pen. I said last week that she was not a 1/6 shot to make the final two and this poll bears that out. I think she is gonna miss out!

The other possibility here is that Macron's vote is the softest, with Le Pen you have a lot of far-right types certain to come out and with Fillon you have older and more conservative voters who, as we know, vote.

I'm now thinking it may be a Le Pen / Fillon run off and have adjusted my book accordingly.
    What is driving Le Pen's decline? Presumably the rise of Melenchon. With similar economic views and no nazi past.
    Reality vs. Protest.

It's one thing to say "FU all, I am voting Le Pen", it's quite another to want to be governed by Le Pen.

Party Machines make a difference.

Fillon has support in depth, a machine proven to win.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

+1 As I said earlier that is how I'd vote in Gorton - to keep Corbyn in charge. Ironically it might also be in the interests of the LD too in the medium term. Of course they cannot see it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It'd make as much sense as the current arrangement.
  • Options
    I have backed Macron/Fillon

So, the odds implied by my book are:

Macron v Fillon evens (a winner)
    Macron v Le Pen Le Pen 5/1 (about right)
    Fillon v Le Pen Le Pen 7/2 (about right)
    Macron v Melenchon Melenchon between 7/2 and 3/1 (about right)
    Fillon v Melenchon Melenchon 7/2 (a loser)

Melenchon v Le Pen is a big loss.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Oh dear....the left falling out of love with Justin AirHead...

Stop swooning over Justin Trudeau. The man is a disaster for the planet

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/17/stop-swooning-justin-trudeau-man-disaster-planet

Trudeau took the centre left Liberals from 3rd place to a landslide win and still has a comfortable poll lead, instead of attacking him the hapless UK left might try and learn something from him!
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Cyan said:

Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Will left-wing and working-class voters really vote for Fillon, even against Le Pen?

I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it.

There does seem to be little difference between the two, except Fillon is more of the French elite and more willing to break the post-war French social contract, while Le Pen actively defends it. The choice is a horrible one. I'd expect most centre and left voters to stay at hom, but for MLP to pick up at least as many Melenchon/Hamon transfers as Fillon gets from Macron.
    Fillon has come in to 4.4, above Le Pen. How fickle the betting market is! Mostly British money, I reckon, reacting to his probably statistically insignificant 1% rise in today's poll. Invested by people who may be unaware of the story of how he didn't return the free suits.
    It is not just the "statistically insignificant" 1% rise for him in today's poll. The reaction is also partially explained by Le Pen's 1% fall (or is that "statistically insignificant as well? ) and the fact that she has fallen from a high of 27% to 22% in less than a month.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

They still came second and it was the centre right who came first, if repeated in France that would mean a Fillon v Le Pen runoff
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

It's one thing to say "FU all, I am voting Le Pen", it's quite another to want to be governed by Le Pen.

I think that's right. My theory - which is derided by some - is that people quite like the policies of the insurgent parties (like the FN or the PVV or the Five Star), but don't trust them to run the country (yet). The result is that they see a fair drop off as you approach polling day.
  • Options
    theakes said:

HYUFD; as I recall abiout 3 weeks before Richmond the opinion poll had Goldsmith nearly 30% in front! It is not Focus leaflets that determine the outcome, it is people perceptions. Apparaently most people know it is a two horse contest Labour/Lib Dem, they will then judge accordingly.

We are talking here about LD poll findings, which even then still have them 20% behind in Gorton when they were 3% behind in Richmond Park
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

I think that's right. My theory - which is derided by some - is that people quite like the policies of the insurgent parties (like the FN or the PVV or the Five Star), but don't trust them to run the country (yet). The result is that they see a fair drop off as you approach polling day.
    Melenchon isn't an insurgent then?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

The problem with Clegg's FTPA (and, specifically, Osborne's five year amendment to it) is that there are two conflicting things that the good of the country requires: a functioning opposition and hard Leftism to be trounced at an election since the lesson of 1983 has apparently been forgotten.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    felix said:

+1 As I said earlier that is how I'd vote in Gorton - to keep Corbyn in charge. Ironically it might also be in the interests of the LD too in the medium term. Of course they cannot see it.
    The beginning of a stampede by prominent Tories into supporting the Labour candidate....?

Seems fair enough. Corbyn does seem to have got into the habit of leading his Labour MPs into backing Mrs May`s Tories in Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

The slight problem with that theory in a French context is that the first round is a pretty free hit teenager style with the option of acting like an adult in the second round. Maybe she just isn't a very good campaigner.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

The slight problem with that theory in a French context is that the first round is a pretty free hit teenager style with the option of acting like an adult in the second round. Maybe she just isn't a very good campaigner.
    The final 2012 first round presidential polls had Marine Le Pen on 14% to 17%, she got 17.9%
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2012
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    PClipp said:

felix said:

The beginning of a stampede by prominent Tories into supporting the Labour candidate....?

Seems fair enough. Corbyn does seem to have got into the habit of leading his Labour MPs into backing Mrs May`s Tories in Parliament.
    Only to be expected, I suppose, if you will elect as party leader a compulsive rebel against party policies.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

The final 2012 first round presidential polls had Marine Le Pen on 14% to 17%, she got 17.9%
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2012
    I think the "teenager/kick the establishment" vote is being split with Melenchon, increasingly to her disadvantage. I am starting to think she is not going to make the second round at all. Outperforming her polling by 0.9% is unlikely to be enough.
  • Options
    felix said:

Who says? Anyhow it's not theirs to lose. A near miss serves everyone's interests, and that is still as good as it is looking right now.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Essexit said:

Assuming the canvassing data is correct, what examples are there - by-election or otherwise - of a 20% deficit being overturned in two and a half weeks?

The LDs may be on course for an impressive increase in vote share and a clear second, but no more than that.

Well, not from 2.5 weeks, but from a month out in Richmond Park, it was found to be 56% Zac, 29% Olney.

http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/richmond-park-election-voting-key-issue-results/
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Deleted duplicate
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294

Essexit said:

Assuming the canvassing data is correct, what examples are there - by-election or otherwise - of a 20% deficit being overturned in two and a half weeks?

The LDs may be on course for an impressive increase in vote share and a clear second, but no more than that.

Well, not from 2.5 weeks, but from a month out in Richmond Park, it was found to be 56% Zac, 29% Olney.

Bermondsey?

"Bermondsey was one of the first by-elections to be extensively polled. The polls showed, at first, that the Labour vote was substantially down on the 1979 election figures, but that none of the rival candidates were particularly close."
    (Wikipedia)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    SeanT said:

FPT London is quite right to fight for those EU Agencies (even though we are highly unlikely to retain them). It's part of the bargaining process.

I imagine HMG will say "OK, you want to take these Agencies from us? Then give us 20% of the assets of all the other EU Agencies, across Europe, which the UK has helped to fund and staff since the UK acceded in 1973."

It's a perfectly fair request: in a divorce you divide the assets. It will be fiendishly complicated and messy and it is possible - just possible - an accord could be reached whereby the UK kept, say, the EMA in return for not making a claim on the other agencies - much easier and cleaner for all.

And even if the EU refuses (as they very probably will) it will concentrate minds in Brussels. The UK has claims on the EU, as well as vice versa.

What garbage, how can you exit the EU but want their agenies based in London. Only a nutjob would even consider that is remotely likely. You will have your Brexit Agency and that will be it, Billy no mates.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

BigRich said:

In the Manchester Gorton by-election, the Lib Dems would much prefer a previous Labour voter switching to Lib Dem than a former Conservative voter since it not only increases the Lib Dem vote but reduces the Labour vote.

A Labour to Lib Dem switcher is wort twice a Conservative to Lib Dem switcher.

Lib Dem canvassers should concentrate on Labour voters.

I wonder to what extent, that the LibDems having a having a By-election that seems to be just with in reach of winning, will divert LibDem activists, away form LG elections and make the gains in numbers of councillors less than they would over wise be?
    Yes - and I also wonder if any of their strategists [ :) } have thought through the likely effect on their polling if Labour get rid of JC and become more centrist. Truth is they are locked in a strategy that gives them a few good headlines while keeping them very firmly as a distant third party.
    I don't see a better strategy that offers a quicker or easier exit route from the last of those? Not wanting to start from here doesn't work.
    I don't think the Lib Dem's strategy is meant to win the election. It's intended to make them relevant to thenatio so conversation - that's enough for now
  • Options

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

"Bermondsey was one of the first by-elections to be extensively polled. The polls showed, at first, that the Labour vote was substantially down on the 1979 election figures, but that none of the rival candidates were particularly close."
    (Wikipedia)
    Possibly.
    The Richmond Park poll stuck in the memory because when it was discussed on here, quite a few commentators responded by calling the contest for Zac immediately and dismissing the Lib Dems chances.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

I think the "teenager/kick the establishment" vote is being split with Melenchon, increasingly to her disadvantage. I am starting to think she is not going to make the second round at all. Outperforming her polling by 0.9% is unlikely to be enough.
    No. Melenchon does worse with higher turnout over 35s than his poll average Le Pen about the same and Le Pen did 0.9% better than her top range polling. In 2012 both Sarkozy and Le Pen outperformed their final poll average, Hollande did about the same, Bayrou and Melenchon worse
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

I think you are right. Most of Melenchon's increase in support has come at the expense of Hamon, but not so much over the past week or so. A fair chunk of his recent increase appears to be coming from Le Pen.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

No. Melenchon does worse with higher turnout over 35s than his poll average Le Pen about the same and Le Pen did 0.9% better than her top range polling. In 2012 both Sarkozy and Le Pen outperformed their final poll average, Hollande did about the same, Bayrou and Melenchon worse
    But Bayrou and Melenchon did worse because they were so far adrift and a vote for them would be wasted. Not this time in the case of Melenchon. It will be Hamon's vote that will be regard as a wasted vote and that is likeliest to go to Melenchon
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Fpt Told you the Labour floor was lower than 25. Lo and behold. Under Corbyn it's more like 20.

As they almost said in the Matrix: "there is no floor".
    Zero?
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

BigRich said:

In the Manchester Gorton by-election, the Lib Dems would much prefer a previous Labour voter switching to Lib Dem than a former Conservative voter since it not only increases the Lib Dem vote but reduces the Labour vote.

I wonder to what extent, that the LibDems having a having a By-election that seems to be just with in reach of winning, will divert LibDem activists, away form LG elections and make the gains in numbers of councillors less than they would over wise be?
    Yes - and I also wonder if any of their strategists [ :) } have thought through the likely effect on their polling if Labour get rid of JC and become more centrist. Truth is they are locked in a strategy that gives them a few good headlines while keeping them very firmly as a distant third party.
    I don't see a better strategy that offers a quicker or easier exit route from the last of those? Not wanting to start from here doesn't work.
    I don't think the Lib Dem's strategy is meant to win the election. It's intended to make them relevant to thenatio so conversation - that's enough for now
    Yes - but the danger is that they over-egg the pudding - win and Labour finally come to their senses in time to recover before the next GE.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Interestingly the Scottish LibDems aren't putting any candidates up in 8 out of the 32 councils - see page 2 of the PDF

http://www.electionsscotland.info/downloads/file/343/scottish_local_government_elections_2017_-_summary_of_candidates_nominated
  • Options
    BudG said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

But Bayrou and Melenchon did worse because they were so far adrift and a vote for them would be wasted. Not this time in the case of Melenchon. It will be Hamon's vote that will be regard as a wasted vote and that is likeliest to go to Melenchon
    Hamon's vote is already down to its core and in 2012 Le Pen too was polling 10% behind Hollande and Sarkozy
  • Options
    chestnut said:

SeanT said:

How will it concentrate minds? The EU will merely say EU agencies must be in the EU and subject to EU law.

The big issue here isn't the jobs, at least not for the UK. Our share of the workforce between the EBA/EMA is under 100 headcount, whereas the best part of 1k EU citizens will have to relocate from London to wherever the EU plant these functions.

The EBA has a £1.8m (€2.1m) p.a twelve year rental lease on it's Canary Wharf property which it can break from halfway through - the end of 2020.

The EMA lease however is a more substantial £10.5m (c.€13m) p.a on a 25 year lease with no breaks between 2015 and 2040. It's a €300m commitment, and the EU's share of the bill is €250m or so over the duration of the lease.

This is the type of thing they will horse trade - we pull out of leases based over there in return for cutting them loose from their commitments over here.

Why would the owner of the building agree to that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

UK will pay it as part of Brexit bill.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Initially an Independent Labour candidate supported by Bob Mellish was expected to be Peter Tatchell's main opponent.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sean_F said:

If, as the canvass data suggest, Labour is on 51%, that would still be a clear win.

Yes, I would love Labour to lose but that is a huge stretch.
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

BigRich said:

Yes - but the danger is that they over-egg the pudding - win and Labour finally come to their senses in time to recover before the next GE.
    The LibDems are (currently) only bit players in that storyline, and you can't blame them for trying to make the most of their few lines in the play. They have their own future to look out for, after all.

Besides, who says that getting rid of Corbyn will deliver any sort of resolution for Labour? It could just as easily be the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

UK will pay it as part of Brexit bill.
    In theory the EMA can be based outside the EU, so it's the EU's choice to incur that liability.

(I wouldn't be surprised to see the UK remain in the EMA and it to remain in London. Or to have a mutual recognition arrangement. There's little merit to having a separate approval process)
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sean_F said:

If, as the canvass data suggest, Labour is on 51%, that would still be a clear win.

Yes, I would love Labour to lose but that is a huge stretch.
    No bet for me, a Lab loss would be £20 worth of entertainment value with no downside risk.
  • Options

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

The Tories lead every age group except the 18-24s

Tories are 49% ahead of Lab with the overs 65s,

Overs 65s VI: Con 61, Lab 12, LD 11, UKIP 11

So Labour are a gnat's fart away from being fourth with the overs 65s

Tories lead Labour with the working classes by 20%

Scottish subsample klaxon

SNP 44, Com 26, Lab 13. LD 10

Tories also lead Labour in the North by 3%

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/17/voting-intention-conservatives-44-labour-23-12-13-/

Lets just say that again

Wow, just wow.

Labour you are in a deep pile of shit.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

The owners will not care that much as long as they continue to get their money, will they?

The tenants in Canary Wharf will effectively become HMG instead of the EU, while the tenants in Europe will be the EU27 instead of the EU28.

This is the type of bargaining I would anticipate happening as the UK/EU divide up the assets and seek to settle or tidy up obligations.

• Options
    That news, whilst it may be significant is days old.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

The owners will not care that much as long as they continue to get their money, will they?

The tenants in Canary Wharf will effectively become HMG instead of the EU, while the tenants in Europe will be the EU27 instead of the EU28.

This is the type of bargaining I would anticipate happening as the UK/EU divide up the assets and seek to settle or tidy up obligations.

depends what we think EU27's covenant strength is (shoutout to the lawyers...!)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2017
    Floater said:

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/17/voting-intention-conservatives-44-labour-23-12-13-/

Lets just say that again

Wow, just wow.

Labour the party of the working class North London Liberal Elite.

One thing I notice with the Maomentum demos is they are whiter than a Lib Dem MP day out or a Tory Toff Hunt jolly. You definitely get the feeling they are attended by the same types as the UK BLMs demos.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Long way to go before it looks winnable, even if the initial canvass data is right.

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.
    The Richmond Park poll stuck in the memory because when it was discussed on here, quite a few commentators responded by calling the contest for Zac immediately and dismissing the Lib Dems chances.
    Nonsense, no one ever did that *shuffles nervously*.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

Even as someone who does not fully believe the high tory figures, I have to ask - what are the 18-24s seeing in Corbyn that they still put Labour above the Tories?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Even as someone who does not fully believe the high tory figures, I have to ask - what are the 18-24s seeing in Corbyn that they still put Labour above the Tories?

Change.
  • Options

Floater said:

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

Lets just say that again

Wow, just wow.

Labour the party of the working class North London Liberal Elite.
    It is possible they are still the party for the working class, even if they are not of the working class or supported by the working class. Technically possible, I do not say it is the case.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Long way to go before it looks winnable, even if the initial canvass data is right.

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

Aren't old enough to remember the 70s, when most of Jezza's policies were last tested to destruction.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

BudG said:

Macron 22 (=)
    Le Pen 22 (-1)
    Fillon 21 (+1)
    Melenchon 18 (+1)

Reality vs. Protest.

Melenchon isn't an insurgent then?
    He's just saving his dip until the last minute :laugh:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Change.
    Ah yes, that will be it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

Aren't old enough to remember the 70s, when most of Jezza's policies were last tested to destruction.
    Sorry to break it to you but even forty year olds aren't old enough to remember the 70s!

More likely 18 to 24 year olds aren't yet used to working to pay their own way and having to understand the importance of keeping spending within control in order to pay your rent/mortgage and put food on the table etc yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Sorry to break it to you but even forty year olds aren't old enough to remember the 70s!

More likely 18 to 24 year olds aren't yet used to working to pay their own way and having to understand the importance of keeping spending within control in order to pay your rent/mortgage and put food on the table etc yet.

More seriously, I think it is probably a bit of both. Even people in their late 30s / 40s are well aware of the tales of the likes of crazy high tax rates, 3 day weeks, etc and what a disaster that was.

People in their early 20s are less aware that at one point in recent history we did have a situation where the government took basically all of individuals money over x amount, and even if they are they can never see themselves earning that amount.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Or it could be that they are utterly appalled by the nasty Tory policies and Tory attitudes that go with them. To such an extent, that even Mr Corbyn`s Labour Party seems preferable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

No, I can tell you from experience it's that (a) Corbyn's Hama/IRA-supporting threat-to-national-security line has little import and (b) they don't remember the days of British rail and the like and (c) they are traditional labour territory.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

No, I can tell you from experience it's that (a) Corbyn's Hama/IRA-supporting threat-to-national-security line has little import and (b) they don't remember the days of British rail and the like and (c) they are traditional labour territory.

Hamas supporting might be a positive. We know on university campus there are increasing issues with antisemitism and support for anti-zionist / pro-Palestine views.

I mean they voted for an NUS president who has been exposed as having some pretty disgusting views on these issues and only a small number of universities has taken action to disassociate themselves with it.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Or it could be that they are utterly appalled by the nasty Tory policies and Tory attitudes that go with them. To such an extent, that even Mr Corbyn`s Labour Party seems preferable.
    Yes, but the question is why the 18-24 year old ones are the only group who are so appalled - you presumably think they are nasty to everyone, except pensioners, but only the18-24 year olds are sticking with Corbyn. Nastiness of the Tories, even if true, does not explain it on its own.
  • Options
    *** FREE MONEY ALERT *** FREE MONEY ALERT *** FREE MONEY ALERT ***

Back Fillon to win the French Presidential Election with Sportingbet at 5.50

Lay him to lose the French Presidential Election with Betfair Exchange at 4.50 = 4.74 after 5% commission.

Roll up, roll up, this can't last!

DYOR.
  • Options
    calum said:

Interestingly the Scottish LibDems aren't putting any candidates up in 8 out of the 32 councils - see page 2 of the PDF

http://www.electionsscotland.info/downloads/file/343/scottish_local_government_elections_2017_-_summary_of_candidates_nominated

Interesting table, S Lab aren't putting up candidates in 3 councils! (But its the 3 island councils so normal I think?)

I'm actually confused as there seem less candidates overall than I would have expected.

Even the SNP is only putting up 627 out of 1227, 51.1% and that's the highest by a long way.

Is it harder to get people nominated in Scotland that England and wales? or is the AV system encouraging parties to tactically stand down? or are all the parties struggling to find people to stand? or something else I have not noticed?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

They are seeing their rentbook (which of course nowdays they don't get, because of the rights that used to be inside the back cover) and the price of houses.
  • Options

More seriously, I think it is probably a bit of both. Even people in their late 30s / 40s are well aware of the tales of the likes of crazy high tax rates, 3 day weeks, etc and what a disaster that was.

People in their early 20s are less aware that at one point in recent history we did have a situation where the government took basically all of individuals money over x amount, and even if they are they can never see themselves earning that amount.
    The 3Day Week was under Ted Heath and tax rates were little different from what they were five years later - indeed VAT was reduced to 8% under Labour.
  • Options

No I think you overestimate how aware 30 somethings who weren't even born in the seventies think about the three day week etc. I'm turning 35 this year, I was first old enough to vote in Blair's second victory. Our formative knowledge of politics was not dominated by the seventies era but by Thatcher.

That my generation has swung from Blair to Tory is not due to the three day week etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

The 3Day Week was under Ted Heath and tax rates were little different from what they were five years later - indeed VAT was reduced to 8% under Labour.
    It was to do with union power....

As for tax rates...There were 10 different rates of income tax in those days, going up to 83% on incomes above 20,000, plus a 98% band for investment income.

All of this is not associated with Tories. Yes we have arguments about how much Thatcher really cut taxes, but the reality is people remember the Tories winning the 1979 general election and a period which was much more pro-business and lower income tax rates.

Talk of super taxes, wealth taxes, increasing union powers, has people old enough to remember the chills of what a shit state the UK was in the 70s.

When Thatcher died, despite often media portrayal of her time in power, the polling showed her period in power / policies were thought of better than all other modern PMs.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    BigRich said:

calum said:

Interesting table, S Lab aren't putting up candidates in 3 councils! (But its the 3 island councils so normal I think?)

I'm actually confused as there seem less candidates overall than I would have expected.

Even the SNP is only putting up 627 out of 1227, 51.1% and that's the highest by a long way.

Is it harder to get people nominated in Scotland that England and wales? or is the AV system encouraging parties to tactically stand down? or are all the parties struggling to find people to stand? or something else I have not noticed?
    The question of how many candidates to put up in an STV election is highly tactical. And also political, because it sends messages about your prospects. You don't want to put up a full slate as they will never all get elected and there is an attrition of votes during the transfer stages - some voters don't bother to make later preferences and some voters have reasons for splitting their ticket. Ideally each person on your ticket brings in a personal vote plus some type of 'constituency' vote (appeal to particular localities, demographics, or policy stances) and you don't want those personal votes transferring elsewhere by spreading your ticket vote too thin or too thick.

On the other hand putting up a small team reduces the breadth of your appeal, and your first person who gets in goes way over quota so vote attrition kicks in again. Plus, you never know, you might do better than you expect. In Ireland they are experts at this kind of stuff.
  • Options
    augustus_carpaugustus_carp Posts: 224
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

calum said:

The question of how many candidates to put up in an STV election is highly tactical. And also political, because it sends messages about your prospects. You don't want to put up a full slate as they will never all get elected and there is an attrition of votes during the transfer stages - some voters don't bother to make later preferences and some voters have reasons for splitting their ticket. On the other hand putting up a small team reduces the breadth of your appeal, and your first person who gets in goes way over quota so vote attrition kicks in again. Plus, you never know, you might do better than you expect. In Ireland they are experts at this kind of stuff.
    Thanks Ian, that makes more sense now.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    BigRich said:

IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

calum said:

The question of how many candidates to put up in an STV election is highly tactical. And also political, because it sends messages about your prospects. You don't want to put up a full slate as they will never all get elected and there is an attrition of votes during the transfer stages - some voters don't bother to make later preferences and some voters have reasons for splitting their ticket. On the other hand putting up a small team reduces the breadth of your appeal, and your first person who gets in goes way over quota so vote attrition kicks in again. Plus, you never know, you might do better than you expect. In Ireland they are experts at this kind of stuff.
    I edited in a bit more below, as well.

P.s. Plus the game is to hope for the other parties' losers to be eliminated before yours, so you can gain from stray transfers.
  • Options
    Today's ifop rolling poll :

Macron 23 (+0.5)
    Le Pen 22.5 (-0.5)
    Melenchon 19.5 (+0.5)
    Fillon 19.5 (+0.5)

http://dataviz.ifop.com:8080/IFOP_ROLLING/IFOP_17-04-2017.pdf
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Which policies and attitudes are those, and why is their nastiness relatively invisible to those of 25 and above?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    BigRich said:

calum said:

It's not particularly harder to get nominated, with there being a fair number of independent candidates standing.

I think the STV system does mean parties have to be cautious around how many candidates they put up per ward, typically you'd only put up the number of candidates who have some prospect of winning after transfers. That said, this doesn't explain why the likes of Scottish LibDems are fielding no candidates in councils other than the traditional independent councils in a number of the islands. The lack of candidates could well be a factor - if so, that'd be deeply worrying for any party in this position.

• Options
    calum said:

BigRich said:

calum said:

It's not particularly harder to get nominated, with there being a fair number of independent candidates standing.

I think the STV system does mean parties have to be cautious around how many candidates they put up per ward, typically you'd only put up the number of candidates who have some prospect of winning after transfers. That said, this doesn't explain why the likes of Scottish LibDems are fielding no candidates in councils other than the traditional independent councils in a number of the islands. The lack of candidates could well be a factor - if so, that'd be deeply worrying for any party in this position.

All parties have difficulty finding candidates, particularly once those with the wrong reasons for standing have been weeded out. I suspect it is lack of organisation, and/or tradition leading key people to stand as independents - something much more common in rural rUK in the old days (for example in the West Country).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but the question is why the 18-24 year old ones are the only group who are so appalled - you presumably think they are nasty to everyone, except pensioners, but only the18-24 year olds are sticking with Corbyn. Nastiness of the Tories, even if true, does not explain it on its own.
    I think the younger age groups are repelled by the Tories, because they are being hit by them here and now. Older age groups are still giving the Tories the benefit of the doubt over the Brexit negotiations. People still cling to the idea that the Tories are going to deliver on whatever policy it was that moved them to vote for Leave. It won`t last, of course, because the Tories are in an entirely contradictory position, which makes it impossible for them to satisfy everybody. The most they can hope for is to satisfy Murdoch - and that would be another turn-off for most voters.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

calum said:

I edited in a bit more below, as well.

P.s. Plus the game is to hope for the other parties' losers to be eliminated before yours, so you can gain from stray transfers.

Thanks again!

I have just notices on there that the Scottish Libertarian Party are standing 22 People !!!

I cant imagine that they are likely to win, but all publicity is good publicity!!

Link to there website: http://scottishlibertarians.com/candidates-announced/
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Charles said:

<
    (I wouldn't be surprised to see the UK remain in the EMA and it to remain in London. Or to have a mutual recognition arrangement. There's little merit to having a separate approval process)

I would be stunned if the EMA stays in London if we leave it. As i said on a previous thread... We might as well ask them to move the European parliament here.

Even Jeremy Hunt thinks it's going and we are leaving the EMA.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,908
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

I think the younger age groups are repelled by the Tories, because they are being hit by them here and now. Older age groups are still giving the Tories the benefit of the doubt over the Brexit negotiations. People still cling to the idea that the Tories are going to deliver on whatever policy it was that moved them to vote for Leave. It won`t last, of course, because the Tories are in an entirely contradictory position, which makes it impossible for them to satisfy everybody. The most they can hope for is to satisfy Murdoch - and that would be another turn-off for most voters.
    But all age cohorts favour the Conservatives, save the 18-24 year olds.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

You missed out Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher, baby eating, Thatcher from your buzzword bingo.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Much of politics comes down to (perceived) self-interest, and there isn't any doubt as to which age group the Tories have long been pitching towards. That young people aren't impressed with the resulting deal isn't much of a surprise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

<

I would be stunned if the EMA stays in London if we leave it. As i said on a previous thread... We might as well ask them to move the European parliament here.

Charles was surprised that the EMA is an EU agency so take his comments with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

justin124 said:

It was to do with union power....

As for tax rates, bullshit...There were 10 different rates of income tax in those days, going up to 83% on incomes above 20,000, plus a 98% band for investment income.
    It is not bullshit at all - those higher tax rates were there under Heath as well! The Investment Income Surcharge was a 15% surcharge on investment income in excess of £1500per annum - a not insignificant amount at the time. It was added to the individual's top rate of income tax - ie if he paid Income Tax at 33% he faced an IIS of 48%.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

How many right-wing teachers are there? How many right-wing lecturers?

The education system drills it into kids that the Tories are nasty and evil. University is little better but fortunately it's about the age you start to think for yourself.

Once you're out in the big wide world you realise the solutions offered by the left are naive and simplistic at best and begin the inexorable journey towards more pragmatic and less ideologically driven answers to the problems of the day.

• Options
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

The Brexit Tories are doing better with today's 18 to 24s than Hague's Tories did with my generation when we were 18 to 24. Yet a few years later the children who grew up under Thatcher and became Blair's biggest supporters now back the Tories. Give it time and eventually today's 18 to 24s will be the futures Tories. It's the circle of political life.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Local elections, national worries: tough task for Labour's doorstep troops

Whether it’s Clive Lewis canvassing in Norfolk or John McDonnell chatting to pensioners in Coventry, the party’s MPs are trying to spread a positive message in the run-up to 4 May vote"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/17/local-elections-national-worries-tough-task-for-labours-doorstep-troops-clive-lewis-john-mcdonnell
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

<

If we leave the EMA, yes.

But there is a decent rationale for remaining a member of the EMA (even if only an associate member). If we are not a member, then I'd agree, it won't be located in London (even if we have MRP).

If the UK remains a member/associate member then there is little rationale for crystalising a Eur 250m liability for moving.
  • Options

*** FREE MONEY ALERT *** FREE MONEY ALERT *** FREE MONEY ALERT ***

Back Fillon to win the French Presidential Election with Sportingbet at 5.50

Lay him to lose the French Presidential Election with Betfair Exchange at 4.50 = 4.74 after 5% commission.

Roll up, roll up, this can't last!

DYOR.

Good bet. Odds now cut to 4.3 (someone checked betfair!) but not before I got £100 on.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

<

Charles was surprised that the EMA is an EU agency so take his comments with a pinch of salt.
    You seem to think this is a killer point. I made a mistake. Get over it.

I'm not involved in the regulatory approval side of things, although obviously I understand how the process works from a risk perspective. The precise constitution of the regulators is absolutely irrelevant to what I do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Essexit said:

Bermondsey?

(Wikipedia)
    Possibly.

Re that YouGov.

A few interesting points

I'd guess that most of the 18-25s who actually go and vote would give the Tories a lead there as well.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Which policies and attitudes are those, and why is their nastiness relatively invisible to those of 25 and above?
    Mr Clipp is seven years old.
This discussion has been closed.