Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Brexit special bets

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Roger said:

"Boris has suffered a humiliation" according to BBC News.

Something more painful would have been nice. Considering how much he is disliked by the rest of the EU (understandably) it's surprising that Theresa didn't sent someone more amenable.

When Boris said yesterday that he would ask for more sanctions against Russia, I had assumed that behind the scenes it had all been worked out before.

Hell, no ! He got a nasty slap. Either he is full of himself or completely incompetent. Why did the FCO officials advise him not to say something like that ? He was effectively putting pressure on the other Foreign Ministers. They did not like it one bit.
    If things are all agreed before hand, why have the meeting to discuss things? Who knows what went on before hand, they may have even been open to listening to his idea, but decided against it pending further investigations.
    What do you expect the man is a buffoon and well out of his depth.
    Yup. And a danger to Britain (and Scotland)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,074
    Dura_Ace said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Metatron said:

I`ll be amazed if May is still PM in 2020.She looks really old for 59 her only idea since becoming PM was more Grammar Schools which does not resonate with many people,she bottled Hinckley Point,the budget was incompetent and devoid of ideas and all the problems of Brexit are likely to have emerged prior to 2020 as it is likely to be a new Labour leader
    The main reason why May might stay PM is for the same reason she got elected the lack of an alternative leader but Tories have 3 years to find somebody with charisma and fresh ideas

She does look older than 59, but that's not necessarily an indication of how energetic she may or may not be going forward. Brexit is what she will rise and fall on.
    Both TMay and Corbyn could pass for a good 10 years older than they actually are IMO.
    To be fair, TM has lost a lot of weight since her diagnosis of diabetes, a couple of stone or so, this leaves a lot of slack skin. No wonder she looks a bit haggard a lot of the time.

On average Type 2 diabetics lose up to 10 years off their life*, so the chance of her dying or becoming seriously unwell before the next election is not insignificant. Jezza seems to live a very healthy lifestyle.

*http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-life-expectancy.html
    She's the same age as Jerry Hall which seems ludicrous. Although one has to fellate Murdoch figuratively and the other literally.
    You seen the state of Jerry Hall, not wearing well
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    nunu said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

If they'd have said "One of our boys is going to have to pull you off" he'd probably have left the plane no questions asked!

"Doctor dragged off United flight was felon who traded prescription drugs for secret gay sex with patient half his age and took them himself - and he needed anger management, was 'not forthright' and had control issues, psychiatrist found"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401980/Dr-dragged-United-swapped-drugs-secret-gay-sex.html

Still doesn't make it right. They should not bargain with the compensation. They should have offered the $1350 openly and would have found 4 volunteers.
    correct. this smear campaign is disgusting.
    If the guy needed anger management and had 'control issues', then I think it is relevant to the story since it explains his reaction, especially the bizarre bit where he ran back onto the plane after being removed.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Metatron said:

I`ll be amazed if May is still PM in 2020.She looks really old for 59 her only idea since becoming PM was more Grammar Schools which does not resonate with many people,she bottled Hinckley Point,the budget was incompetent and devoid of ideas and all the problems of Brexit are likely to have emerged prior to 2020 as it is likely to be a new Labour leader
    The main reason why May might stay PM is for the same reason she got elected the lack of an alternative leader but Tories have 3 years to find somebody with charisma and fresh ideas

She does look older than 59, but that's not necessarily an indication of how energetic she may or may not be going forward. Brexit is what she will rise and fall on.
    Both TMay and Corbyn could pass for a good 10 years older than they actually are IMO.
    So she shows off her boobs and her legs like a thirty five year old but actually looks twice that ..... oh dear!
    I think it was Cyclefree here in PB who thought she had the best cleavage in politics ! She clearly needs glasses.
    Specsavers for very strong ones for sure
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Mr. Eagles, perhaps it's the fashion police who keep stopping you?

Can't be that. My last visit to America I was wearing a sober brown suit, blue shirt, yellow tie, brown loafers and I still had to spend 40 mins with the chaps from TSA who wanted to know how often I attended a mosque and why it was so infrequently.
    Attending a mosque infrequently is suspicious?
    Apparently.

One of the things about these Islamist terrorists is that early in their lives they are very bad Muslims (doing such things like fornicating, drinking, gambling, and not being very religious like going to mosque or praying five times a day.)

They than have an event which makes them ultra hardcore religious.

Sometimes I wonder given how bad a Muslim I am......
    Genuine question. How stringent is the prohibition on alcohol in Islam?

I only ask because my experience is that Hindus and Sikhs are much more hostile to alcohol than Muslims are.
    My parents would be very disappointed if I drank alcohol, but the general rule is what you do in private is fine, drinking alcohol in public as a Muslim is a no no.
    My experience as far as Sikhs are concerned is either that they do, or have no problem with it, or are violently against it. Worked with a Sikh once who wouldn't go in the PostGrad Medical Centre in a hospital becacuse they had a bar.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Can't be that. My last visit to America I was wearing a sober brown suit, blue shirt, yellow tie, brown loafers and I still had to spend 40 mins with the chaps from TSA who wanted to know how often I attended a mosque and why it was so infrequently.
    Apparently.

One of the things about these Islamist terrorists is that early in their lives they are very bad Muslims (doing such things like fornicating, drinking, gambling, and not being very religious like going to mosque or praying five times a day.)

I only ask because my experience is that Hindus and Sikhs are much more hostile to alcohol than Muslims are.
    My parents would be very disappointed if I drank alcohol, but the general rule is what you do in private is fine, drinking alcohol in public as a Muslim is a no no.
    My experience as far as Sikhs are concerned is either that they do, or have no problem with it, or are violently against it. Worked with a Sikh once who wouldn't go in the PostGrad Medical Centre in a hospital becacuse they had a bar.
    Shokrdan Mustafi of Arsenal wouldn't be pictured w a beer in front of him when at Valencia... wish he were still there to be not pictured with one now!
  • Options

trouble at Borrussia Dortmund, explosion near team bus before CL?

Three explosians reported and a team member injured
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited April 2017
  • Options

Match postponed until tomorrow
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Dortmund v Monaco match postponed until tomorrow following explosion.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    RobD said:

nunu said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

If they'd have said "One of our boys is going to have to pull you off" he'd probably have left the plane no questions asked!

"Doctor dragged off United flight was felon who traded prescription drugs for secret gay sex with patient half his age and took them himself - and he needed anger management, was 'not forthright' and had control issues, psychiatrist found"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401980/Dr-dragged-United-swapped-drugs-secret-gay-sex.html

Still doesn't make it right. They should not bargain with the compensation. They should have offered the $1350 openly and would have found 4 volunteers.
    correct. this smear campaign is disgusting.
    If the guy needed anger management and had 'control issues', then I think it is relevant to the story since it explains his reaction, especially the bizarre bit where he ran back onto the plane after being removed.
    I don't necessarily see that as bizarre. People often don't react logically when faced with a stressful situation outside their usual experience: he might just have fixated on something, e.g. "my wife's on there," or "I must get my phone!" Or he might just have felt safer on the plane, where there were independent witnesses.

It doesn't make what happened right, nor the airline's reaction since.
  • Options
    How bad and desperate can the London papers be to employ morons like this...........
    https://twitter.com/BuntinRobert/status/851855109214658561/photo/1
  • Options

Reports not sure if it was fireworks or something more serious
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Alistair said:

surbiton said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/851845583270797312

Next time you hear of local authorities wailing bitterly that they can only afford to keep the libraries open or make sure that dementia patients get their bottoms wiped, and not both, remember the above.

How many people work in local authorities ? 2 million ? And 539 earn six figures ?

Really ? The pay cut the Barclays boss took will probably employ 50 of them.
    As Tesco's like to say every little helps. Especially when we have had some ridiculous posturing from some councils about not being able to afford keeping public bogs open for a £x00,000 a year.
    So pay peanuts and drive out all competent mangers into the private sector and have councils run by total incompetents?
    Six figure salaries are fine - provided those being paid such salaries merit them. Really good people in key positions can make a huge difference, and paying such people £100k+ is cheap at the price.

The problem comes with incompetents (in both private and public sectors) earning such amounts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    malcolmg said:

How bad and desperate can the London papers be to employ morons like this...........

I'm not entirely sure him striking that tone is particularly helpful.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Really? In my experience Hindiu friends have no problem with drinking alcohol at all.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

surbiton said:

Next time you hear of local authorities wailing bitterly that they can only afford to keep the libraries open or make sure that dementia patients get their bottoms wiped, and not both, remember the above.

How many people work in local authorities ? 2 million ? And 539 earn six figures ?

As Tesco's like to say every little helps. Especially when we have had some ridiculous posturing from some councils about not being able to afford keeping public bogs open for a £x00,000 a year.
    So pay peanuts and drive out all competent mangers into the private sector and have councils run by total incompetents?
    Question is Alistair are they competent though. Many of them would have trouble running a bath.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

I've been told that Sikhs have genes that make them prone to alcoholism.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    "Theresa May takes 37-point lead over Jeremy Corbyn in new poll

The poll of more than 10,000 British adults found that 55 per cent think the current Prime Minister is the best choice for the role"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-polls-latest-37-point-lead-tories-labour-party-conservative-government-a7677861.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Ken Livingstone disease is catching...

https://twitter.com/philiprucker/status/851860119944138753
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Really? In my experience Hindiu friends have no problem with drinking alcohol at all.
    I've attended Hindu functions that were strictly dry - and vegetarian.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

Reports not sure if it was fireworks or something more serious
    3 explosions suggests bombs but we will soon see
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Always amused me that Ian Paisley was more intolerant about devil's buttermilk than your average Muslim
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

twitter.com/BuntinRobert/status/851855109214658561/photo/1

It's clickbait... and also a month old!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Andy_JS said:

The poll of more than 10,000 British adults found that 55 per cent think the current Prime Minister is the best choice for the role"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-polls-latest-37-point-lead-tories-labour-party-conservative-government-a7677861.html

Bit like beating a one legged man at an arse kicking competition
    PS : Given the opposition May should be ashamed that only 55% thought she was best , it shows how very very shallow her support is and how fragile the Tories are. If Labour can just get one of their donkeys to step up there could be trouble ahead for the Nasty party
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Unionists getting really nasty. Or are Telegraph readers getting worried about their investment in grouse moors?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Must have been a bundle of laughs
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Rob is that the new word for merde
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Don't worry malc, turnips galore!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Rob is that the new word for merde
    That has what the Telegraph has become in recent years, at least online.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dortmund player injured in blast near team bus - developing story
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Always amused me that Ian Paisley was more intolerant about devil's buttermilk than your average Muslim
    There are still quite a few Total Abstinence and Temperance Lodges.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Rob, without Haggis and some bevvy that is no compensation, man cannot live on turnips alone.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Rob, without Haggis and some bevvy that is no compensation, man cannot live on turnips alone.
    How wrong you are - http://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/ark-of-taste-slow-food/turnip-schnapps/

:D
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Actually such functions can be very enjoyable. Do go on a LONG time though!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

There are still quite a few Total Abstinence and Temperance Lodges.

I think one of the reasons (Pakistani heritage) Muslims aren't too fussed about alcohol is that quite a few of them ran corner shops in the 60s and 70s and selling booze was a roaring business.

The one thing that probably is an issue for Muslims is handling any pig meat related products.

Curious.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Floater said:

Dortmund player injured in blast near team bus - developing story

Just seen. I was feeling very confused for about five minutes as the adverts on BT Sport 3 went on beyond 19:45.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Actually such functions can be very enjoyable. Do go on a LONG time though!
    malc having a go at Hindus now, after having a go at Tauregs (toerags) this morning. Anyone would think him a swivel-eyed loon Brexiteer.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:
    Oh dear ! Oh dear ! Oh dear !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Memories of an Indian wedding where the bride and groom kept everyone waiting for nearly three hours at the reception - in a dry hotel with a vegetarian buffet :open_mouth: Not much fun that one.
  • Options
    felix said:

Roger said:

Something more painful would have been nice. Considering how much he is disliked by the rest of the EU (understandably) it's surprising that Theresa didn't sent someone more amenable.

Somewhat silly comment. It was always to be expected that Italy would support Russia - they have form on this. If they have acted thus through hostility to Boris rather than on the merits of the case it says a lot about their very high level of pettiness. and I am not a Boris fan.
    By all accounts they were all in disagreement with Boris.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

malcolmg said:

Unionists getting really nasty. Or are Telegraph readers getting worried about their investment in grouse moors?
    That headline really is quite desperate. And I for one hadn't realised that the SNP had such a love of early Muscovite architectural styles.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:
    Perfect spokesman for Trump. An actual imbecile.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2017
    Sean Spicer demonstrating why this administration has had such a troubled period within their first 100 days. They literally can't stop tripping themselves up.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

surbiton said:

Question is Alistair are they competent though. Many of them would have trouble running a bath.
    The director at my local council who is accountable for housing (ie thousands of decaying council properties), environmental health, planning, licensing, waste, parks and gardens, council tax collection, basically all frontline services is on a salary of around £65k. The managers who run the services are on around £40k. Officers (professionals) are paid £25k - £35k.

The in house team responsible for finding ways of 'restructuring' services (newspeak for rationalising central government cuts) are paid between £30k and £60k - based on the original job adverts.

The other plum jobs are the people behind new housing projects who are paid similar amounts, £50 - £60k. Many part time consultants. IE competitive with the private sector.

Only the chief exec is on over £100k, I think his wage is £135k. One person out of several hundred. This is one council out of 600 or something.

The Council struggles to recruit to most of the officer roles. Even at these wages. The trouble is that there are insufficient people with the right skillset and in many areas the private sector pays more and offers more job security given central government cuts.

There are some overpaid jobs in Councils but this is far from the rule.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    If anyone from the Premier League thinks they are good enough to play professional football at a serious level they should watch Juve-v-Barca and reflect.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Bit like beating a one legged man at an arse kicking competition
    PS : Given the opposition May should be ashamed that only 55% thought she was best , it shows how very very shallow her support is and how fragile the Tories are. If Labour can just get one of their donkeys to step up there could be trouble ahead for the Nasty party
    Shallow and fragile?

Blair didn't get 55% in the year and a half before he beat either Major or Hague by a landslide.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    The damage to the Dortmund bus looks very minor, like somebody has thrown stones at a couple of windows.
  • Options

twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/851873315744620545

Did the Nazis use chemical weapons in munitions? I thought it was "just" the gas chambers.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:
    I thought you were a fan of the man and his imbeciles. Have you had a falling out?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Somewhat silly comment. It was always to be expected that Italy would support Russia - they have form on this. If they have acted thus through hostility to Boris rather than on the merits of the case it says a lot about their very high level of pettiness. and I am not a Boris fan.
    Even Boris is usually in disagreement with Boris
  • Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Doesn't mean Boris is in the wrong here. Had we had a semi-competent US administration that wasn't best mates with Putin then I doubt that they would all have been in disagreement with Boris. Glad to see we've not jumped onto the Putin-lovin bandwagon.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I thought you were a fan of the man and his imbeciles. Have you had a falling out?
    He's a grotesque. My intense dislike of Hillary deluded me.
  • Options

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Doesn't mean Boris is in the wrong here. Had we had a semi-competent US administration that wasn't best mates with Putin then I doubt that they would all have been in disagreement with Boris. Glad to see we've not jumped onto the Putin-lovin bandwagon.
    I believe it was a joint was a US/UK proposal.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    He's a grotesque. My intense dislike of Hillary deluded me.
    What's changed your mind?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

If it was then they couldn't have all been in disagreement with Boris unless the USA opposed its own proposal since they are key members of the G7!
  • Options

RobD said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

If it was then they couldn't have all been in disagreement with Boris unless the USA opposed its own proposal since they are key members of the G7!
    Well I don't think they were all in disagreement!
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39572841

United's parent company's share price plummeted on Tuesday after a video of the incident went viral on Twitter.

Plummeted down 1.4%. :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Well the post you replied to quoted this from @Roger

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Well the post you replied to quoted this from @Roger

Would be interested seeing a source on that, I can't find any. Telegraph describe the result as leaving the US-UK plan to pressurise Vladimir Putin in tatters.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I must say that it is quite interesting to watch Boris Johnson being completely humiliated by the Russians. Firstly we had the Russians openly mock him (and indeed us) saying effectively that he chickened out of going to Moscow, then that they had no real interest in meeting him anyway because the UK are just parroting the US line and hiding behind them. His own explanation of what he was doing - eg going to the G7 to try and get agreement for sanctions on Russia - has resulted in precisely no sanctions being agreed. There is just an image of him sitting behind Rex Tillerson on BBC news looking clueless.

In making him foreign secretary May clearly gave him enough rope to hang himself. The question is how long will it take, and how much damage will he do to our standing in the world in the meantime.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,433
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Any Diplomacy players will understand why Italy tends to support Russia!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Did the Nazis use chemical weapons in munitions? I thought it was "just" the gas chambers.
    They may have used them in Crimea in 1942 against Red Army tunnels.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

If anyone from the Premier League thinks they are good enough to play professional football at a serious level they should watch Juve-v-Barca and reflect.

I listened to an interesting podcast recently discussing the lack of recent CL success by Premier League teams compared with those from Spain, Germany and Italy.... the theory is that the competitive nature of the EPL and the relative financial parity between top clubs, means they don't have to sell to a rival, whereas Barca, Real Madrid, Munich and Juve all get to buy the best players from the other top 6 sides in their league, eg Juve buying Higuain and Pjanic last summer, whereas Spurs and Liverpool wouldnt sell Kane and Coutinho to Chelsea.

So no standout team in England makes for more exciting league but less chance of an English side doing well in Europe
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DavidL said:

Or watch the only Champions League Quarter Finalists from the UK tommorow night!
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

I listened to an interesting podcast recently discussing the lack of recent success by Premier League teams compared with those from Spain, Germany and Italy.... the theory is that the competitive nature of the EPL and the relative financial parity between top clubs, means they don't have to sell to a rival, whereas Barca, Real Madrid, Munich and Juve all get to buy the best players from the other top 6 sides in their league, eg Juve buying Higuain and Pjanic last summer, whereas Spurs and Liverpool wouldnt sell Kane and Coutinho to Chelsea.

So no standout team in England makes for more exciting league but less chance of an English side doing well in Europe
    Also being able to win at least half your domestic games without getting out of second gear isn't going to harm your chances.
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

I listened to an interesting podcast recently discussing the lack of recent success by Premier League teams compared with those from Spain, Germany and Italy.... the theory is that the competitive nature of the EPL and the relative financial parity between top clubs, means they don't have to sell to a rival, whereas Barca, Real Madrid, Munich and Juve all get to buy the best players from the other top 6 sides in their league, eg Juve buying Higuain and Pjanic last summer, whereas Spurs and Liverpool wouldnt sell Kane and Coutinho to Chelsea.

And Bayern have bought (and in the case of Gotze, sold back) the best three players from their nearest rival in recent years. I don't think it explains everything - we've certainly gone through a lean spell recently - but Bayern and Juve are in a privileged position.
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

I listened to an interesting podcast recently discussing the lack of recent CL success by Premier League teams compared with those from Spain, Germany and Italy.... the theory is that the competitive nature of the EPL and the relative financial parity between top clubs, means they don't have to sell to a rival, whereas Barca, Real Madrid, Munich and Juve all get to buy the best players from the other top 6 sides in their league, eg Juve buying Higuain and Pjanic last summer, whereas Spurs and Liverpool wouldnt sell Kane and Coutinho to Chelsea.

I also think that there are very few easy games in the PL which results in exhaustion and injuries. In most leagues the top 3 can cruise a lot of games and rotate without risk. But the quality this evening is just outstanding.
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

Also being able to win at least half your domestic games without getting out of second gear isn't going to harm your chances.
    Indeed if the likes of Liverpool took all three points from their games against bottom-half opposition the EPL would look very different.
  • Options
    Dunkirk migrant camp fire: 600 people missing after blaze at Grande-Synthe site
    http://news.sky.com/story/huge-fire-reduces-dunkirk-migrant-camp-to-ashes-10833441
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Half of them are probably consultants
    Actually might they be consultants in the medical sense? Wasn't public health hived off to the councils?
    Yes, Public Health Consultants are now employed by councils, but there are not many and nearly all would be below £100 k. There may be some very well paid Headmasters too.

I was perhaps a little clinical in my description of Mrs Mays health, but it is a legitimate topic to discuss on a political betting website. Illness is pretty much the only thing that would cause a change of leader in the next 8 years or so, or electoral defeat.

In order to maintain good control an insulin dependent diabetic needs regular habits. In particular meals, exercise and sleep need to be titrated well against insulin dose. Difficult enough for most of us, but for a PM with a heavy workload, urgent interrupptions, lots of overseas travel, state dinners of calorific foods it is a real problem. TM would be much healthier in retirement.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

I also think that there are very few easy games in the PL which results in exhaustion and injuries. In most leagues the top 3 can cruise a lot of games and rotate without risk. But the quality this evening is just outstanding.
    The fact that a mediocre team of journey men could win the Premiership argues against its quality.
  • Options
    I suppose one could point to the failure of West Ham and Southampton in this season's Europa League. But as others have said, every game in the PL is a struggle, which isn't true in the other leagues - especially the Bundesliga.
  • Options

RobD said:

Thanks. Apparently we were contemplating using it to try and repel an invasion.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

RobD said:

I've never really seen what the problem (relatively speaking) is with chemical weapons. Calling conventional weapons "conventional" makes them sound kind of organic and wholesome when they really, really aren't. My Lai was done mainly with rifles ...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Apparently.

Likewise. And Sikhs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

The fact that a mediocre team of journey men could win the Premiership argues against its quality.
    An unusual year by which to judge the league though - one team played out of their skins and rode their luck, other teams had bad years. But at least it's competitive.
  • Options

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Or it could show that a team ethic, and tight spirit, well shaped tactics and a few stars can do it. The best teams are greater than the sum of their parts.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

I've never really seen what the problem (relatively speaking) is with chemical weapons. Calling conventional weapons "conventional" makes them sound kind of organic and wholesome when they really, really aren't. My Lai was done mainly with rifles ...
    Maybe because of how indiscriminate it is? Drop a bomb on a house and you kill the inhabitants, drop a chemical bomb and you kill the entire block.
  • Options

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Or it could show that a team ethic, and tight spirit, well shaped tactics and a few stars can do it. The best teams are greater than the sum of their parts.
    Too bad that tight spirit and team ethic meant jack sh*t 5 minutes after winning though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Maybe because of how indiscriminate it is? Drop a bomb on a house and you kill the inhabitants, drop a chemical bomb and you kill the entire block.
    Depends how large the bomb is.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,392
    malcolmg said:

Putin is the sort of anti-SNP. They want to break up old multinational unions, he uses the army to try and glue them back together (Ossetia, Crimea, Donbass...).

Sturgeon is an unpleasant and shrill woman who has repeatedly shown she has only one idea and no real clue of how to sort out the major problems facing the people of Scotland, but she is not a crook, a murderess or a warmonger. Comparing her or her party to Putin is fatuous and merely cheapens the person doing it, like all those silly sausages comparing Trump to Hitler.

It also makes people less likely to listen when a real, valid and vital point is being made (although in Coughlin's case this probably isn't important as he has never made such a contribution yet).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Depends how large the bomb is.
    That's true, and lots of conventional bombs can do a lot of damage (Dresden). Anyway, I would rather be blown up and instantly killed by a bomb than choking to death (or worse) from a chemical attack.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited April 2017
    nielh said:

I must say that it is quite interesting to watch Boris Johnson being completely humiliated by the Russians. Firstly we had the Russians openly mock him (and indeed us) saying effectively that he chickened out of going to Moscow, then that they had no real interest in meeting him anyway because the UK are just parroting the US line and hiding behind them. His own explanation of what he was doing - eg going to the G7 to try and get agreement for sanctions on Russia - has resulted in precisely no sanctions being agreed. There is just an image of him sitting behind Rex Tillerson on BBC news looking clueless.

In making him foreign secretary May clearly gave him enough rope to hang himself. The question is how long will it take, and how much damage will he do to our standing in the world in the meantime.

As far as I can see the French and Germans now see the UK as part of the US and not European axis and acted accordingly, sanctions against the Assad leadership they deemed not to be in their interests and united with Russia to block them, post Brexit and Boris or no Boris I doubt any UK Foreign Secretary would have persuaded them otherwise
  • Options

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

+Kante in fairness.
  • Options

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/851887231967088641

Wish me luck on Thursday... :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

That assumes more clinical accuracy in bomb-aiming than seems to happen in real life.

The flipside of the question is, what is the incentive to use the things? The effectiveness to bad press ratio seems unfavourable - no one would be talking about Assad if he had machine gunned twice the number of people that he gassed - except as a way of flaunting your extreme evilness to the world.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Look on the bright side, every time you're in the air and there's usually a stonking big poll lead published.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,392

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Half of them are probably consultants
    Actually might they be consultants in the medical sense? Wasn't public health hived off to the councils?
    Yes, Public Health Consultants are now employed by councils, but there are not many and nearly all would be below £100 k. There may be some very well paid Headmasters too.
    This article may be relevant on that point:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-secret-deals-behind-rocketing-school-ceo-pay

In sort of fairness to them, they are officially at least running multiple schools as head.

In fairness to reality having been in a school with one of these 'non-executive heads' in charge, they are as much use as a Labour disciplinary panel and if paid by results would owe the taxpayer money.
  • Options

RobD said:

Look on the bright side, every time you're in the air and there's usually a stonking big poll lead published.
    I'll lie back and think of England... :worried:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Too bad that tight spirit and team ethic meant jack sh*t 5 minutes after winning though.
    Since the management change that spirit is back!

Shakespeare's Blue Army!

Being a Leicester fan is a real rollercoaster, no mid table mediocrity for us.

• Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Well sure, once the players stop trying to oust the manager, because they're successful, of course the spirit improves.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Shakespeare's Blue Army!

Being a Leicester fan is a real rollercoaster, no mid table mediocrity for us.

Whereabouts in the league are you?
  • Options
    Surprised by the 1/10 on trade deal, though it doesn't state free trade of course. Is this is over confidence from Paddy Power's political advisor or a reflection voter expectation. If it is the latter and it doesn't happen, then that suggests the public will be pretty angry/dissappointed. Whether they'll blame the Tories for not negotiating well enough and cause a UKIP surge or blame Brexit and create a Lib Dem surge is the bit we need some polling on.
This discussion has been closed.