Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory GE2015 expenses probe could have been the reason that

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

Corbyn surge.

Only a minority actively think May would be a better PM than Corbyn. That must show a lot of latent discontent with her leadership.
    Margin of error whether it is a minority or a majority. :smiley:
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

Corbyn surge.

Only a minority actively think May would be a better PM than Corbyn. That must show a lot of latent discontent with her leadership.
    It shows people are partisan and rarely list someone else's candidate as being better, so they say don't know instead
    Also, these figures include "won't vote", I think - and those are likely to primarily answer this question "DK (and don't care)".
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    RobD said:

Corbyn surge.

Margin of error whether it is a minority or a majority. :smiley:
    Her figure's been oscillating around 50% for months: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/o94q0rdo3o/YG Trackers - Best Prime Minister.pdf
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'm confused by the claims that Corbyn would become PM if May engineered a confidence defeat in the period between the defeat and the election. To my knowledge the last confidence defeat was in 1979 and the PM remained the PM from the defeat until the election results were known.

Corbyn would surely remain Leader of the Opposition just as his predecessor Thatcher did when in the same situation until an election was held unless he could demonstrate he held the confidence of the Commons required to become PM.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    edited April 2017

I'm confused by the claims that Corbyn would become PM if May engineered a confidence defeat in the period between the defeat and the election. To my knowledge the last confidence defeat was in 1979 and the PM remained the PM from the defeat until the election results were known.

Corbyn would surely remain Leader of the Opposition just as his predecessor Thatcher did when in the same situation until an election was held unless he could demonstrate he held the confidence of the Commons required to become PM.

The difference is that under the new rules of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, there is a 14-day window following a vote of no confidence before the election is called, during which time another government is supposed to try and be formed. It's possible to see that if the PM or her party don't wish to try and form a government in that period then the LotO should be allowed to try and do so.

Callaghan lost a vote of confidence and went to the Queen asking for a dissolution and election, Mrs May can't do that. It's a bit of a mess in the scenario of a government with a small majority and a large polling lead, but it was designed explicitly to prevent the PM from going to the country at a time of their own choosing.

The alternative route provided for in the FTPA is that 2/3 of the Commons votes for an election. That needs only a couple of dozen Labour MPs to vote for it, assuming everyone else does. I think it would be hilarious to watch the Opposition vote against an election, it's the whole point of having an Official Opposition in the first place!
  • Options
    Sleazy broken Mrs May on the slide.
  • Options

Actually up from her nadir of 44. :p
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Sandpit said:

The difference is that under the new rules of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, there is a 14-day window following a vote of no confidence before the election is called, during which time another government is supposed to try and be formed. It's possible to see that if the PM or her party don't wish to try and form a government in that period then the LotO should be allowed to try and do so.

Callaghan lost a vote of confidence and went to the Queen asking for a dissolution and election, Mrs May can't do that. It's a bit of a mess in the scenario of a government with a small majority and a large polling lead, but it was designed explicitly to prevent the PM from going to the country at a time of their own choosing.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: the FTPA is a big mistake.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    I see Jezza is having another good day with the media.

Can't wait for the month long GE campaign...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    @tlg86 Fillon-Melenchon is value to lay at 65, I make the price 150-1. If you think they'll make the 2nd round (together) then back both of them to win the first round at 14 and 21.

Of course that is only 8.4 for your money but mathematically it is better !
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sandpit said:

It's possible to see that if the PM or her party don't wish to try and form a government in that period then the LotO should be allowed to try and do so..

Of course he would be allowed (in fact invited) to see whether he could form a government. But he wouldn't be appointed as PM unless he was in a position to do so, or at least had a credible chance.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Borough, agree entirely. It made sense for the previous government due to the unusual arrangement, but the lack of a sunset clause was sheer stupidity from Cameron.

Mr. Urquhart, nonsense. As the polling clearly shows, Chairman Corbyn is ruthlessly gaining ground on the capitalist pigdog party!
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Sandpit said:

Yep! It was designed by Nick Clegg to see the 2010 coalition through to 2015, a job that it did well. It leaves a constitutional mess in the no-confidence scenario, and has a good chance of bringing the Queen into politics in an uncomfortable manner. It certainly has a major role for the Speaker, which is not a good thing with the current incumbent - as an example he could well rule a confidence motion out of order if it came from a Conservative.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

The alternative route provided for in the FTPA is that 2/3 of the Commons votes for an election. That needs only a couple of dozen Labour MPs to vote for it, assuming everyone else does. I think it would be hilarious to watch the Opposition vote against an election, it's the whole point of having an Official Opposition in the first place!

On that point, it would certainly be awkward for Labour not to vote for an election, especially if one was going to be called in a couple of weeks anyway. Also, in the scenario we are talking about, the position of Labour and the LibDems would be that the Conservatives had improperly got into power in the first place; how on earth could they vote against a GE in those circumstances?
  • Options

Mr. Borough, agree entirely. It made sense for the previous government due to the unusual arrangement, but the lack of a sunset clause was sheer stupidity from Cameron.

Mr. Urquhart, nonsense. As the polling clearly shows, Chairman Corbyn is ruthlessly gaining ground on the capitalist pigdog party!

A sunset clause would have been difficult as it repealed other acts which wouldn't be restored simply by the FTPA expiring.
  • Options

That precedent doesn't apply.

After the loss of a vote of confidence there's a 14 day period to try and form a new government.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited April 2017

Sandpit said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know what the fuss is about, it all seems very reasonable, at the 'cost' of political inconvenience, since in a genuine emergency there are mechanisms for early election.

A change brought about due to short term circumstances which has neverhtheless had a positive impact for the medium and long term.
  • Options
    Mr. D, ah.

The Act remains bloody stupid, however.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2017
    Another poll where the supposed "party of Remain" is stuck in 3rd place with.....Remain voters.

REMAIN VOTERS
    Labour 36%
    Conservatives 28%
    Lib Dems 20%
    UKIP 1%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Conservatives 57%
    UKIP 20%
    Labour 13%
    Lib Dems 2%
  • Options
    Now, Carillon Court is the focus of a dispute involving residents, the housing association, and Bugler, the construction firm who built it. Residents began to complain about leaks and damp in 2009, when one resident claimed that “the property that I bought in good faith and paid a large sum of money for is now, I, believe uninhabitable … My health is suffering, not only due to the stress but also because of the damp.”

Among the other people affected are a family of seven living in a flat in which damp and mould are present in all but one room, who have serious concerns about resulting ill-health. Bugler construction say s it has not been notified of any problems since 2010. Notting Hill told the Guardian it was aware of “both latent defects and maintenance and repairs issues” and was working to remedy them.

One recent case involving a new-build development highlights many of the same issues. Solomon’s Passage, in Peckham, south London, was completed in 2010 and owned and run by Wandle, who oversee 7,000 homes across nine London boroughs. Last year, it was announced that two blocks containing 48 homes were to be demolished, because of issues including water damage and faulty roofs and balconies. The entire development attracted £9.4m of public money.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/11/housing-associations-face-storm-of-complaints-over-new-build-homes

I think this is the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of PFI hospitals and schools that were built to appalling standards in the noughties.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

On that point, it would certainly be awkward for Labour not to vote for an election, especially if one was going to be called in a couple of weeks anyway. Also, in the scenario we are talking about, the position of Labour and the LibDems would be that the Conservatives had improperly got into power in the first place; how on earth could they vote against a GE in those circumstances?
    It's awkward, but politicians can handle awkward if the alternative is they would struggle - they can always have time to rebound from such awkwardness after all. They'd say it was not the right time, Tories are playing games, etc etc. Not all arguments will be credible, but they'd take a poor argument over a near certain poor election.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

After the loss of a vote of confidence there's a 14 day period to try and form a new government.
    There is no precedent for this situation.
    Whatever happens is going to be new.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Danny565 said:

Another poll where the supposed "party of Remain" is stuck in 3rd place with.....Remain voters.

REMAIN VOTERS
    Labour 36%
    Conservatives 28%
    Lib Dems 20%
    UKIP 1%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Conservatives 57%
    UKIP 20%
    Labour 13%
    Lib Dems 2%

They're the party of continuity Remain.

But I'll probably still be one of the 2% - it's a safe Tory seat, I might as well vote another way just to keep their majority from titanic to stonking levels.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Betting post

The market lay odds add through to 27.75% for Fillon

Fillon/Melenchon @ 55
    Fillon/Macron @ 11.5
    Fillon/Le Pen @ 5.8

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.129066938

Which is an implied price to get through to the second round of 3.6. This seems far too short to me.

I've laid them all to equal reds.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know what the fuss is about, it all seems very reasonable, at the 'cost' of political inconvenience, since in a genuine emergency there are mechanisms for early election.

A change brought about due to short term circumstances which has neverhtheless had a positive impact for the medium and long term.
    Quite right. The FTPA was a superb innovation. Why anyone wants a return to the cynical shenanigans Gordon got up to - albeit ultimately to his detriment - is beyond me.
  • Options
    Want to buy an F1 car? Assets of bankrupt F1 team Manor Racing to be auctioned by administrators next month. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/11/fancy-formula-1-car-knock-down-price-get-one-failed-manor-racings/
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited April 2017
    On Topic

Surely the Tories will lose all X seats (X to be determined). Will the voting public support a party who cheated their way to a 'win'?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GeoffM said:

I'm not sure that's true. The 18th and early 19th century may offer some precedents, where command of the Commons was not the sole criterion for holding office, at least in the short term. Might we see Jeremy Corbyn as a mayfly Prime Minister, like the Earl of Bath or the Earl Waldegrave? Or might we see a Corbynite government akin to the one that Peel offered in 1834 - unable to command the confidence of the Commons but able to use a brief period in office to set out his manifesto?

The central question (for betting purposes) remains: does Theresa May continue in office until someone new commands the confidence of the House or is she replaced once she loses the confidence of the House by the next most likely person to be able to command the confidence of the House, even if they are unlikely in practice to do so?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

If there are to be by-elections in the expense scandal constituencies then surely the Conservatives would use the Brixit scare tactic - that voting in Lib Dems would mean Conservatives losing their majority and making the Brexit negotiations harder to complete.

Alternatively May could try to call a general election at the same time as re-running the expense scandal seat elections. Would Labour MPs comply?
    They would be mad if they did!
    The implication of that post after the last 20 months is that they will!

Edit - on a more serious note, I could easily see 50 Labour MPs backing an election as the quickest and surest - maybe only - way to get rid of Corbyn. Snag is that's not enough to trigger a dissolution.

Oh and 5,000 posts in just under 5 years. Just over 2.7 a day on average.
    Labour MPs who acted in that way would be denied NEC endorsement and effectively deselected.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It's possible to see that if the PM or her party don't wish to try and form a government in that period then the LotO should be allowed to try and do so..

Of course he would be allowed (in fact invited) to see whether he could form a government. But he wouldn't be appointed as PM unless he was in a position to do so, or at least had a credible chance.
    Agreed. In theory anyway. What actually happens in practice will be unprecedented, starting with the government trying to no-confidence themselves.

The 2/3 of MPs route seems the right way to go about it - win the vote and we have an election, lose it and the Tories can call Labour (and probably the SNP) scared of the voters for the next couple of years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Pulpstar said:

@tlg86 Fillon-Melenchon is value to lay at 65, I make the price 150-1. If you think they'll make the 2nd round (together) then back both of them to win the first round at 14 and 21.

Of course that is only 8.4 for your money but mathematically it is better !

Thanks. I'm on Fillon for the overall win at 10-1. I'm confident he would be beat Le Pen, but I'm not certain he would beat Melenchon. But as you say, it's an unlikely scenario so I'm happy to run the risk. Glad I covered Le Pen v Melenchon at 66-1, though.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

On Topic

Surely the Tories will lose all X seats (X to be determined). Will the voting public support a party who cheated their way to a 'win'?

Some may not under any circumstances as a result. But of course, for others it will be relevant who the alternative is, and who they represent, set against how serious the offence. I'd say the public would support a party who cheated their way to a win, not because of that of course, but looking past it. Only up to a point, but enough to secure most.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

Want to buy an F1 car? Assets of bankrupt F1 team Manor Racing to be auctioned by administrators next month. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/11/fancy-formula-1-car-knock-down-price-get-one-failed-manor-racings/

If Mr Dancer and Sandpit are interested in F1 business, perhaps PB can have a whip round.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, ha, I suspect I'd be horrendous at it. A combination of not travelling much, disliking loud noises, disliking crowds and being very cautious wouldn't make for a good F1 boss.

Turkey referendum - in five days the referendum on making Supreme God-King Erdogan, thrice-praised be his name! the role of president more powerful takes place.

On Ladbrokes, it's 1.28 for Yes to win, 3.5 for No.

Given the forthright and proactive manner of Erdogan's approach to the media, one would've thought even those odds might be tempting. What does PB think?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

I'm not sure that's true. The 18th and early 19th century may offer some precedents, where command of the Commons was not the sole criterion for holding office, at least in the short term. Might we see Jeremy Corbyn as a mayfly Prime Minister, like the Earl of Bath or the Earl Waldegrave? Or might we see a Corbynite government akin to the one that Peel offered in 1834 - unable to command the confidence of the Commons but able to use a brief period in office to set out his manifesto?

The central question (for betting purposes) remains: does Theresa May continue in office until someone new commands the confidence of the House or is she replaced once she loses the confidence of the House by the next most likely person to be able to command the confidence of the House, even if they are unlikely in practice to do so?
    That is the correct question.

The second question is who would that person be? In my mind the person most likely to command the Commons if Mrs May resigned would be Philip Hammond rather than Jeremy Corbyn. Does Hammond take over as PM and then lose his own vote of confidence, as the Tories play for time with the 14-day clock running down?

Could we even get a temporary custodian of No.10 from the Lords, as the Commons sorts the mess out and the election takes place? Lord Hague or Lord Howard would be two suitable candidates in that scenario (and probably backable at very long odds).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If Mr Dancer and Sandpit are interested in F1 business, perhaps PB can have a whip round.
    Ha ha, nice idea but I think we'd fall some millions short of the funds required to go racing, if it were easy they'd have found a buyer for the team over the winter. Would be cool to get a wheel nut or similar little trinket, but I doubt the lots will go that small.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    If there's a no confidence vote, we could even see Alex Salmond as PM for a bit.

Because Buckingham Palace (to their credit) will be desperate to avoid causing a constitutional crisis, they may feel obliged to offer any volunteers from Parliament a go at it (before formally losing no confidence votes), and the SNP have hardly been shy to play silly buggers in the past.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But he could form a Government - even though it would not command the confidence of the House of Commons. The latter would only be confirmed a few days after the Government had been formed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GeoffM said:

That is the correct question.

The second question is who would that person be? In my mind the person most likely to command the Commons if Mrs May resigned would be Philip Hammond rather than Jeremy Corbyn. Does Hammond take over as PM and then lose his own vote of confidence, as the Tories play for time with the 14-day clock running down?

Could we even get a temporary custodian of No.10 from the Lords, as the Commons sorts the mess out and the election takes place? Lord Hague or Lord Howard would be two suitable candidates in that scenario (and probably backable at very long odds).
    Perhaps a certain Lord Cameron? :D
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But he could form a Government - even though it would not command the confidence of the House of Commons. The latter would only be confirmed a few days after the Government had been formed.

How could Corbyn form a government if it's known he cannot command the confidence of the House?

If TMay cannot command the confidence, then it's even more certain that Corbyn cannot.

• Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

Think about it.

Mrs May and her government loses her majority and can't pass a budget or even Brexit related legislation such as The Great Repeal Bill (sic), fun times ahead.

Oh and primus inter pares.

If they did have the results annulled in 27 seats (!) I think we'd be seeing another general election.
    How do you satisfy or circumvent the FTPA?
    The Conservatives place a motion of no confidence in their own government and challenge Labour to vote against - ie they do have confidence. Which would be totally weird, but would work?
    Oh no... cue a thousand comments on who would be PM in the interim... :D
    Don't say I didn't warn you :smiley:
  • Options
    Latest Yougov :
    Con 42 Lab 25 LD 11 UKIP 11 Grn 3 Others 8.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

How could Corbyn form a government if it's known he cannot command the confidence of the House?

If TMay cannot command the confidence, then it's even more certain that Corbyn cannot.

I think in such a scenario, which would all be about political gamesmanship with the veneer of formality, then even though it would be ridiculous, constitutionally the palace might feel obligated under the act as described by others on here. You cannot formally say he cannot command the confidence of the House until you've given them the chance to formally express that view.

Yet more reason for TMay to not play silly buggers, which I imagine was a factor in her decision.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    murali_s said:

On Topic

Even if the Tories technically broke expenses laws it is highly doubtful all those seats went Tory because a few extra leaflets were delivered, the abysmal 2015 LD poll rating probably had more to do with it
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Latest Yougov :

Is that the one with fieldwork 5-6 April?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

On Topic

Even if the Tories technically broke expenses laws it is highly doubtful all those seats went Tory because a few extra leaflets were delivered, the abysmal 2015 LD poll rating probably had more to do with it
    Probably, although why bother to cheat in that case? (Yes, all the parties cheated to some extent on expenses).
    justin124 said:

Latest Yougov :

Stubborn old UKIP I see. And Tories just cannot get that 20 point lead, can they? Losers.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

On Topic

Poor attempt at trying to justify the cheating lying toerags
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    A good precedent for the situation Theresa May would be in if she lost a vote of confidence but no other party was in a position to form a government before an election could be held is that of the vote of confidence of 26 January 1886. The Salisbury government was defeated, but remained in office until November because an election could not be held until the Reform Act provisions were in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_successful_votes_of_no_confidence_in_British_governments#1885:_Second_Gladstone
  • Options

Sleazy broken Vanilla Forums on the slide.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Danny565 said:

If there's a no confidence vote, we could even see Alex Salmond as PM for a bit.

Because Buckingham Palace (to their credit) will be desperate to avoid causing a constitutional crisis, they may feel obliged to offer any volunteers from Parliament a go at it (before formally losing no confidence votes), and the SNP have hardly been shy to play silly buggers in the past.

I don't think there's a crisis. The PM loses the vote of confidence, the Queen says OK, we'll wait 2 weeks, if it looks like anybody can form a government then let one my designated minion know and they'll tell me if it's serious, nobody can so nobody does. Once she does that all the news is going to be about the forthcoming election in any case; Nobody's going to be getting excited about whether Corbyn or someone else has a legitimate AirBNB booking for Number 10.

If somebody actually plausibly could form a government then that changes the conversation, but I think the position is simply that if they might be able to do it then they'd get a go; If nobody at The Palace knows how to evaluate the claim that Person X might plausibly win a confidence vote then they can ask Shadsy. However, this is all quite unlikely, because this PM would have to unite the left and peel off some Tories too, against the background of a likely election.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, that takes Twitter Diplomacy to a whole new level!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If there is an election rerun in the seats where alleged overspending has gone on then I'd expect the Tories to win handily.

See, this is the issue with the rules - the risk/reward is completely asymmetric... if you overspend and win then you're getting your ideological program implemented, making decisions over the economy. It's worth billions in terms of power over the UK.

You get caught out, and you'll get a fine of maybe £100k or so - and the election might have to be rerun... but when people are asked this question twice they are overwhemingly likely to give the same answer again. Absolute peanuts compared to the potential reward of winning the seat.

An appropriate censure would be to have to rerun the election, and any party deemed to have broken the rules be unallowed to stand again (And the individual former MP can't run again as an independent either). That might discourage the rule breaking in the first place, a two tiered disqualification of both individual and party.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Sandpit said:

Maybe the regulators who clocked on at 11am determined that there was still too much of a hoo-ha going on and shut it down.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Sandpit said:

Is that all it is? I thought I had been banned :D
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Don't worry, I don't think you got banned. :) Was a Vanilla problem with their outbound bandwidth.
    http://status.vanillaforums.com
  • Options
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    When Balfour resigned as PM in 1905, Campbell-Bannerman was invited to try to form a Government, despite having only about 180 or so seats - and no chance of commanding the confidence of a majority of the House.
    He was, however, PM between accepting the charge and requesting a dissolution of Parliament later that same month - and winning a landslide majority in the ensuing election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Latest Yougov :

It is indeed.
  • Options

A good precedent for the situation Theresa May would be in if she lost a vote of confidence but no other party was in a position to form a government before an election could be held is that of the vote of confidence of 26 January 1886. The Salisbury government was defeated, but remained in office until November because an election could not be held until the Reform Act provisions were in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_successful_votes_of_no_confidence_in_British_governments#1885:_Second_Gladstone

I imagine that the Liberal Opposition must have agreed to that though.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Latest Yougov :

It is indeed.
    SNP lower thank the Greens/?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Don't worry, I don't think you got banned. :) Was a Vanilla problem with their outbound bandwidth.
    I thought it was down temporarily while Sean redesigned the format, putting his coat of arms at the head of each page.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    I do not normally comment on the fights which occasionally occur on here.

But, chaps, there are not many women on here. Being unpleasant to one of the few who does post here does no-one any credit.

It is possible to have a vigorous argument without being pointlessly horrible and rude.

And if anyone feels like taking me on, just don't. For your own sake. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I thought it was down temporarily while Sean redesigned the format, putting his coat of arms at the head of each page.
    I hate to think what Sean would have his coat of arms...I am going to guess it would include silhouettes of a gaggle of nubile busty female Corbynites.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

vanillaforums is functioning perfectly....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yfAeMtcURg0/hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

OllyT said:

murali_s said:

My two pence:

SeanT may be a right-wing lunatic but he is not a bully.

There are others who are though and hopefully in time they will be weeded out.

If you say so but I don't know else you could interpret the comment below from SeanT to Beverley C last night:-

"Just Go? Can we agree you're not wanted? You don't want to be on here anymore, and we think you're - allegorically - a deluded, fecally vomiting old crone who should be euthanised?

What's the prob? You go, we stay, everyone is happy. Bye bye there. Bye bye"

We all say things we regret in the heat of the moment but their are a handful of posters who resort to abuse on a daily basis.
    Only a few of them are generally funny. Sean and malc, for example.
    I think perhaps we have a different definition of "funny".
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If you get banned, just pull a bobajob and open twenty new accounts. :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

vanillaforums is functioning perfectly....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yfAeMtcURg0/hqdefault.jpg
    I see no tanks? - Typical, one of the rare occasions I’ve had time to indulge and getting vanilla comments to load has been like getting blood out of a stone.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited April 2017
    Cyclefree said:

But, chaps, there are not many women on here. Being unpleasant to one of the few who does post here does no-one any credit.

It is possible to have a vigorous argument without being pointlessly horrible and rude.

To paraphrase Bear Strangler McGee
    They'd be either mighty brave or mighty stupid

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Wikipedia seems to say the opposite - that Salisbury took over from Gladstone after a no-confidence vote in June 1885, despite not having a majority and remained in office until November 1885 (for the reason you gave).

Or am I misreading it?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

Don't like the tone on here today

Yeah, it's not pleasant. Neither was last night looking back at it.
    Agreed. I rarely post these days, a handful of unpleasant individuals seem to dominate most threads these days. Quite how SeanT regularly gets away with bullying and abusing posters and telling them to leave the site. Perhaps he does own half of it as he (seriously) claimed last night, it's the only logical explanation.

Imagine he was drunk as a skunk , he does get lots of leeway but Robert did emphatically state that he owned exactly 0% of the site , merely delusions of grandeur on his part.

and he does nothing about someone who claims in all seriousness to own 50% of the site? Really, sorry there has to be more to it.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

Agreed. I rarely post these days, a handful of unpleasant individuals seem to dominate most threads these days. Quite how SeanT regularly gets away with bullying and abusing posters and telling them to leave the site. Perhaps he does own half of it as he (seriously) claimed last night, it's the only logical explanation.

Imagine he was drunk as a skunk , he does get lots of leeway but Robert did emphatically state that he owned exactly 0% of the site , merely delusions of grandeur on his part.

and he does nothing about someone who claims in all seriousness to own 50% of the site? Really, sorry there has to be more to it.
    He gets banned now and then I believe.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We had four cloud servers go offline this morning. I wonder if, by any chance, it could be related? I think we should be told ;)
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I don't think there's a crisis. The PM loses the vote of confidence, the Queen says OK, we'll wait 2 weeks, if it looks like anybody can form a government then let one my designated minion know and they'll tell me if it's serious, nobody can so nobody does. Once she does that all the news is going to be about the forthcoming election in any case; Nobody's going to be getting excited about whether Corbyn or someone else has a legitimate AirBNB booking for Number 10.

If somebody actually plausibly could form a government then that changes the conversation, but I think the position is simply that if they might be able to do it then they'd get a go; If nobody at The Palace knows how to evaluate the claim that Person X might plausibly win a confidence vote then they can ask Shadsy. However, this is all quite unlikely, because this PM would have to unite the left and peel off some Tories too, against the background of a likely election.
    But it might be sufficient for Corbyn to 'try' to secure an Affirmative Confidence Vote - even if he knows he has not a hope in hell of being successful.I am sure he could form a Government just as he has manged to put together a Shadow Cabinet despite the refusal of most Labour MPs to serve. Moreover, the process of forming an Administration would take several days, and so take us well into the 14 day period.Time would then be found for an Affirmative Confidence Debate which might take a couple of days so that by the time he is defeated the time for Dissolution would pretty well have arrived.
    My own view is that we will not get this far, because it is not a road that Theresa May will choose to tread. She will not wish to test the Constitutional uncertainties involved.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Wikipedia seems to say the opposite - that Salisbury took over from Gladstone after a no-confidence vote in June 1885, despite not having a majority and remained in office until November 1885 (for the reason you gave).

Or am I misreading it?
    Looking at it again, I think it's me that misread it.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

He does nothing? He stated it wasn't true.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We had four cloud servers go offline this morning. I wonder if, by any chance, it could be related? I think we should be told ;)
    Was it Russian hacking?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

My own view is that we will not get this far, because it is not a road that Theresa May will choose to tread. She will not wish to test the Constitutional uncertainties involved.

Agreed. It may make May more open to the idea of repealing the Act after 2020 though :p
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

SeanT loves his hyperbole. His writing makes him wealthy.

Sometimes it just doesn't work though.

• Options

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

SeanT loves his hyperbole. His writing makes him very wealthy.

He'll be loving the fact everyone on here is talking about him though. :p
  • Options

Wow! That is a blast from the past. It sounds like a job for the Riveria Kid :D

• Options
    The latest Yougov figures are almost identical to the results of their surveys conducted in mid-January and early December.Very little change over the last four months – at least with this pollster.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The "cloud" is a meaningless marketing phrase. It just means that the big noisy boxes with the flashing lights aren't in your basement but they are under the stairs of the house next door instead.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Was it Russian hacking?
    No. It was something technical, dodgy updates or someone unplugged the network power and put their kettle in to make a cuppa. Something like that...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The "cloud" is a meaningless marketing phrase. It just means that the big noisy boxes with the flashing lights aren't in your basement but they are under the stairs of the house next door instead.

You live next door to Google?

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Wow! Will you be selling tickets because it sounds like it could be quite an event.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Wow! That is a blast from the past. It sounds like a job for the Riviera Kid :D
    It’s been quite a while, I don’t think Roger can still sling his guns…!
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Or the NSA?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Perhaps instead of the 'cloud' it should have been dubbed the 'rock'. Sounds so much more solid and reassuring.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The cloud is everywhere. Everyone lives next door to Google...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,085
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

People born in Devon are like that ... ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Agreed. It may make May more open to the idea of repealing the Act after 2020 though :p
    That may well be so - and the Act is due to be reviewed anyway post 2020.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/emmarcourt/status/851755959198371840

The article suggests it will be half that, if overnight trading is to be believed.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

One good thing about working in IT is that, on any given day, I know that someone somewhere is having a much worse day than me!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,500

RobD said:

OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

People born in Devon are like that ... ;)
    Sadly Rob's comment is probably the nub of the matter. The only time I ever saw him run away from a conversation about himself was when another female contributor suggested that he might have 'length issues'. Which may well be the other nub of the matter.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    I wonder what United are offering for overbooked flights today? Free first class trips with free accommodation and food....
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The way I describe it to people infected with marketing buzzwords, is that it means that all your company data is on someone else's server.
This discussion has been closed.