Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Multiplier Effect: Regional, Social and Brexit swing make

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Good thread header Mr H. Unfortunately for Labour, not an April Fool.

Questions for the Conservatives & Unionists in our ranks - would you rather keep hold of Scotland or Gibraltar?

Also worth noting that there are plenty more Brits in Spain than in Gibraltar, and it is the former group who are potentially at risk of deportation. Shouldn't they be prioritised?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

How will the eu back them? With no legal right to the land, the most the eu could do is support Spain's requests for us to open a dialogue on the subject since even the Spanish cannot say we've stolen the place from It's rightful owner hence the treaty , and punish the Gibraltarians for not currently wanting to be part of Spain. How non imperialist of them.

The eu is not about to tell a sovereign nation, the legal holders of a territory supported overwhelmingly by its citizens, that they must hand over its people to another state or it will punish those people. How malevolent do you think the eu is!?

Spain are being quite selfish in using an eu wide negotiation to open an issue which has nothing to do with the others.

IMO the inclusion of a Spanish veto over EU-Gibraltar relations in the EU's Draft Guidelines for Article 50 talks shows two things. Firstly that by leaving the EU we have traded real influence for notional sovereignty. What was previously a dispute between two EU members is now one between an EU member and outsider. The EU now sides with the remaining member and will ignore the one that has left. Secondly, the EU hasn't the slightest intention of allowing Gibraltar to derail the main deal with the UK. I doubt the UK does either.

None of this means the EU will support a Spanish takeover of Gibraltar by force. That runs contrary to what it stands for.

Spain only has a veto on any UK/EU deal being automatically applied to Gibraltar. All the EU will do from now on is have nothing to do with the whole issue. Once we are out, EU rules about free movement of goods, services, finance and people will no longer apply to Gibraltar, meaning Spain can choose to play silly buggers to its heart's content with no check.

Mostly I think this is to clear the Gibraltar barnacle off the boat. The EU doesn't want Spain to come in at a late stage and say, we're not agreeing the Brexit deal until we get our way over Gibraltar. This separates the two issues, which is less good from Gibraltar's point of view. I doubt the UK government minds about that, as long as the Union flag keeps flying over the Rock.

And edit. This is the price of Brexit. The UK government will trade away all sorts of interests to get the Brexit deal: UK fishermen (as always) and now Gibraltarians, banks and UK farmers.
    They haven't traded away UK fishermen - they just referred in the letter to the need for an agreement on fishing stock management which is common sense. It doesn't, necessarily, mean continuation of the status quo
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    South Africa: ANC in chaos after Jacob Zuma sacks finance minister

South Africa turning into Zimbabwe
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

@kle4 - Do you think we should have clung on to the part of Hong Kong that was permanent British territory? With the UK out of the EU, we are again faced with a similar question.

My understanding was that land was leased to us, not permanent?

It's a difficult question either way and I'll sidestep as I don't know about that one, including what the locals wanted.
    Hong Kong island was sovereign territory of the UK. Most of the surrounding land was leased.
    Hong Kong Island was a non-viable state - no water, no power, no sewage management system. In the circumstances we did the best that we could do for them (although we should have extended visas in the way that Canada did)
    Yes all you rich tossers got your money out and abandoned the natives to their misery
    What a charming person you are.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Meeks, Mr. G raised that very (odd) point yesterday. It's quite perplexing.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

@kle4 - Do you think we should have clung on to the part of Hong Kong that was permanent British territory? With the UK out of the EU, we are again faced with a similar question.

It's a difficult question either way and I'll sidestep as I don't know about that one, including what the locals wanted.
    Hong Kong island was sovereign territory of the UK. Most of the surrounding land was leased.
    Hong Kong Island was a non-viable state - no water, no power, no sewage management system. In the circumstances we did the best that we could do for them (although we should have extended visas in the way that Canada did)
    Yes all you rich tossers got your money out and abandoned the natives to their misery
    Take a good look in the mirror
  • Options
    What's to stop Gib joining the EU on its own account?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I asked that yesterday and was told "The Treaty of Utrecht".
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Is there not a long queue that takes a hundred years to get to the top of, or so they keep telling us that will be the case once we are independent. Oh and lots of countries will veto them as they don't want to encourage independence movements as well , oh and they are a basket case economy dependent on Westminster so will not meet Euro rules. So I am afraid that is not an option on any front.
    PS they hav eno lender of last resort so will be even more of a basket case and will be forbidden to use the pound as well so no currency.
  • Options

I thought that was about incorporating it into the UK proper
  • Options
    Article 10 of the Treaty of Utrecht says (at the end)

And in case it shall hereafter seem meet to the Crown of Great Britain to grant , sell or by any means to alienate therefrom the propriety of the said town of Gibraltar, it is hereby agreed and concluded that the preference of having the sale shall always be given to the Crown of Spain before any others.

Full text here

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Peace_and_Friendship_Treaty_of_Utrecht_between_Spain_and_Great_Britain#ARTICLE_X
  • Options

And in case it shall hereafter seem meet to the Crown of Great Britain to grant , sell or by any means to alienate therefrom the propriety of the said town of Gibraltar, it is hereby agreed and concluded that the preference of having the sale shall always be given to the Crown of Spain before any others.

Full text here

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Peace_and_Friendship_Treaty_of_Utrecht_between_Spain_and_Great_Britain#ARTICLE_X
    Typical UK , still in the slave trade, if there are ever a few pounds in it then it will be up for sale for sure.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Article X is clear that Spain has the first option in the event of a transfer to a third party:

Though arguably that wouldn't apply in the event of a UDI.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

You've clearly never been to Hong Kong have you. Misery, indeed.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited April 2017

Francois Fillon was last traded at 5.9 for next French president. Does anyone have any idea why? Have I missed a poll?

There was a poll showing Melenchon only 1% behind him and with all the momentum. Coming 4th wouldn't be a shock.
    Well quite. So not a 5/1 shot to win the whole thing.
    Some of the prices in this market are crazy, but that can happen when one or two people are prepared to put down largish sums of money to influence the market.

A week ago we were discussing Macron's price which was 1.47 at the time. Most were in agreement that it represented good value and some said he should really be 1.25 -1.30. Today, although little has changed in the polls, as I write, he last traded at 1.67.

Francois Assenlieu has consistently polled at 0.5%, I don't know what sort of bizarre scenario gets him through to the second round in three weks time, but would be intrigued to hear it from the person who is holding his price on Betfair at 180 with a bet of over £200. I am sure everyone would agree that he is a lay at that price, but of course to lay that price you need to have a spare 35k or so in your bank that you are prepared to tie up for the next month or so.

Fillon CAN still win, if all the polls are totally wrong. I am not ruling that possibility out, but 5.9 is a crazy price. He was around 8 or 9 a couple of weeks ago and his polling since then has actually got worse and yet his price has continued to contract.

Bottom line is that the prices on Betfair are governed by the weight of money some people are prepared to put down, rather than a reflection of the chances of a particular outcome happening.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Article X is clear that Spain has the first option in the event of a transfer to a third party:

Gibraltar staying in the EU, but still being an UK overseas territory would seem a viable compromise?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    BudG said:

Francois Fillon was last traded at 5.9 for next French president. Does anyone have any idea why? Have I missed a poll?

There was a poll showing Melenchon only 1% behind him and with all the momentum. Coming 4th wouldn't be a shock.
    Some of the prices in this market are crazy, but that can happen when one or two people are prepared to put down largish sums of money to influence the market.

A week ago we were discussing Macron's price which was 1.47 at the time. Most were in agreement that it represented good value and some said he should really be 1.25 -1.30. Today, although little has changed in the polls, as I write, he last traded at 1.67.

Francois Assenlieu has consistently polled at 0.5%, I don't know what sort of bizarre scenario gets him through to the second round in three weks time, but would be intrigued to hear it from the person who is holding his price on Betfair at 180 with a bet of over £200. I am sure everyone would agree that he is a lay at that price, but of course to lay that price you need to have a spare 35k or so in your bank that you are prepared to tie up for the next month or so.

Fillon CAN still win, if all the polls are totally wrong. I am not ruling that possibility out, but 5.9 is a crazy price. He was around 8 or 9 a couple of weeks ago and his polling since then has actually got worse and yet his price has continued to contract.

Bottom line is that the prices on Betfair are governed by the weight of money some people are prepared to put down, rather than a reflection of the chances of a particular outcome happening.
    1.66 on Macron looks massive to me.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Mostly I think this is to clear the Gibraltar barnacle off the boat. The EU doesn't want Spain to come in at a late stage and say, we're not agreeing the Brexit deal until we get our way over Gibraltar. This separates the two issues, which is less good from Gibraltar's point of view. I doubt the UK government minds about that, as long as the Union flag keeps flying over the Rock.

And edit. This is the price of Brexit. The UK government will trade away all sorts of interests to get the Brexit deal: UK fishermen (as always) and now Gibraltarians, banks and UK farmers.

The British government would love to get rid of Gibraltar. They have spent years trying to hand it over- who could forget everyone's least favourite New Labour type, Hain, trying to persuade everyone that joint sovereignty merely meant another flag outside government buildings (which we all knew it wasn't but we also knew was the only way the people affected might be persuaded to swallow it)?

The real snag from their point of view is that there is no legal way for them to do so, Peter Caruana memorably invoking self-determination to stop that one by means of a wildcat referendum which if Sturgeon had any brains she would have studied closely. As a result, Gibraltar remains British regardless of how inconvenient that is in geopolitical terms.
    Menorca also came under British rule in 1713 following the Treaty of Utrecht. In 1781, during the American War of Independence, the British were defeated by a combination of French and Spanish forces, and on 5 January 1782 the Spanish regained control of the island, after a long siege of St. Philip's Castle in Port Mahon.

While I don't expect force to be used, the Spanish could blockade Gibraltar and effectively force its handover. Even the mere threat of such a blockade might be sufficient to achieve this objective.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

I would point out the 165 the Cons won in 1997 included North Norfolk and Westmorland and Lonsdale.

The AB - CDE split has been very evident in my personal door-knocking here in South Cumbria. AB's seem to be content with Farron's words on Brexit - which they generally fear. CDEs talk of smashing the telly when his face comes on. That includes two families which used to have loads of Farron posters in their gardens.

For the first time Farron's photo in a LD leaflet here is a vote loser.

The LibDems desperately need to get themselves some policies, rather than rely on the discontent with the Brexit vote, which I suspect has a rather short shelf-life.
    I think the discontent will get them past the next election. The 21% who want Brexit overturned will gravitate to them.
    They will pick up arch Remainers of a certain age, nationality and ethnicity, I'd guess.

I think the young will be tempted by the Greens, the nationalists by PC and the SNP, while Jezza's inner city BAME vote will essentially hold, especially the Muslim segment.

How many Euro super Enthusiast, overwhelmingly white, middle class, 40+, pro UK, Tory coalition forgiving voters are there to go around?
    These 21% who want Brexit overturned will include a chunk of committed Conservative and Labour voters. Where is the evidence that they are mopping up the Anna Soubrey's? The Tony Blairs? The Libdems might skim off a few, but equally, will lose previous LibDems who think the whining about the Brexit result and wanting to overturn a democratic mandate is not for them.

Article 50 Notice is served. We are leaving. The LibDems will be painted as Rejoiners - having the UK grasp the ankles and assume the position on the Euro, free movement, ever greater union, an EU army, standardised tax rates....
    The evidence is in the polling.

Despite the Lib Dems having advanced since the election, in contrast to UKIP and Labour, the LDs frequently return the smallest retention rate of their 2015GE voters, at around half (which of itself ought to be a terrifying stat, implying as it does that the true core LD vote is no higher than 4%).

However, while they've lost quite a few (including to Labour), they've also gained a lot. This is almost certainly Brexit-related given that while the proportion of their 2015 vote that backed Brexit was about 1 in 3, the proportion of their current vote that did so is about 1 in 6: a big enough difference given the relatively small growth in their share to imply both sizable Remain gains from other parties and also losses of Leave voters to them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Morning Malc! :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Poundland Carlotta? You're slipping if you missed the chance to slip in a dig about Nicola's plans for the currency.

I'm surprised you aren't busy drawing up posters to explain how Ruth Davidson is the new Disraeli.

I'd compare Davidson to Derby. Not electorally especially successful (although a case could be made that he is the only party leader to win five consecutive general elections) but generally respected and doing a reasonable job after an extinction level event. I see no sign of a Scottish Disraeli.
    Is that 'winning an election' in the same sense that Hillary Clinton 'won'?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Apparently, the whole thing was a cock-up. From the 1997 version of The Economist

Britain, claims a Communist Party stalwart, Huang Wenfang, need never have had to hand Hong Kong back to China. Only when, with a humiliating and legalistic insistence, Britain pushed China into a corner during crucial negotiations in the early 1980s, did China feel compelled to insist on Hong Kong's full return on July 1st 1997. Before that, says Mr Huang, “we had no plan to recover Hong Kong”.
    http://www.economist.com/node/149476
  • Options
    matt said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

You've clearly never been to Hong Kong have you. Misery, indeed.
    I have never been because I hav eno wish to go there, so come on then clever clogs regale us with your fascinating tales of Hong Kong and its throngs of people and high rise buildings. I have seen enough to know it is an overpopulated dump being run by a dictatorship. Politicians hand picked and ruled by China as they wish. They were abandoned in a flash by Westminster who were scared of the Chinese, they sent them off with their tails between their legs. As is usual with UK only the rich got to come to Britain , the rest were dumped.
  • Options

Gibraltar staying in the EU, but still being an UK overseas territory would seem a viable compromise?

LOL, good april fool's there
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Morning GIN, real April fools stuff on here today, plenty making real fools of themselves. Just getting a good laugh before I go off to pot on my Begonias.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017

The EU negotiating clause suggests that Gibraltar's way of guaranteeing EU access is by becoming a full member of the UK. It's seems to be essentially the same clause that would allow NI into the EU but only if it agreed to Irish statehood.

• Options

Apparently, the whole thing was a cock-up. From the 1997 version of The Economist

Britain, claims a Communist Party stalwart, Huang Wenfang, need never have had to hand Hong Kong back to China. Only when, with a humiliating and legalistic insistence, Britain pushed China into a corner during crucial negotiations in the early 1980s, did China feel compelled to insist on Hong Kong's full return on July 1st 1997. Before that, says Mr Huang, “we had no plan to recover Hong Kong”.

Brexit will go the same way, these clowns struggle to tie their shoelaces so when they come up against real negotiators they will get absolutely slaughtered.
  • Options
    daodao said:

While I don't expect force to be used, the Spanish could blockade Gibraltar and effectively force its handover. Even the mere threat of such a blockade might be sufficient to achieve this objective.

A blockade is a hostile act and preventing shipping from free movement may be illegal under various maritime acts. Boarding a vessel without permission whilst it is going about its legal business may be viewed as piracy.

There is a large naval dockyard in Gibraltar and whilst the Royal Navy may be run down compared to its past glory, it is still an effective force to escort shipping.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    daodao said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

The British government would love to get rid of Gibraltar. They have spent years trying to hand it over- who could forget everyone's least favourite New Labour type, Hain, trying to persuade everyone that joint sovereignty merely meant another flag outside government buildings (which we all knew it wasn't but we also knew was the only way the people affected might be persuaded to swallow it)?

The real snag from their point of view is that there is no legal way for them to do so, Peter Caruana memorably invoking self-determination to stop that one by means of a wildcat referendum which if Sturgeon had any brains she would have studied closely. As a result, Gibraltar remains British regardless of how inconvenient that is in geopolitical terms.
    Menorca also came under British rule in 1713 following the Treaty of Utrecht. In 1781, during the American War of Independence, the British were defeated by a combination of French and Spanish forces, and on 5 January 1782 the Spanish regained control of the island, after a long siege of St. Philip's Castle in Port Mahon.

Nope. Not a chance.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Morning GIN, real April fools stuff on here today, plenty making real fools of themselves. Just getting a good laugh before I go off to pot on my Begonias.
    You certainly seem to be having fun!

Enjoy the potting on. :smiley:
  • Options

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

I would point out the 165 the Cons won in 1997 included North Norfolk and Westmorland and Lonsdale.

The AB - CDE split has been very evident in my personal door-knocking here in South Cumbria. AB's seem to be content with Farron's words on Brexit - which they generally fear. CDEs talk of smashing the telly when his face comes on. That includes two families which used to have loads of Farron posters in their gardens.

For the first time Farron's photo in a LD leaflet here is a vote loser.

The LibDems desperately need to get themselves some policies, rather than rely on the discontent with the Brexit vote, which I suspect has a rather short shelf-life.
    I think the discontent will get them past the next election. The 21% who want Brexit overturned will gravitate to them.
    They will pick up arch Remainers of a certain age, nationality and ethnicity, I'd guess.

I think the young will be tempted by the Greens, the nationalists by PC and the SNP, while Jezza's inner city BAME vote will essentially hold, especially the Muslim segment.

How many Euro super Enthusiast, overwhelmingly white, middle class, 40+, pro UK, Tory coalition forgiving voters are there to go around?

Article 50 Notice is served. We are leaving. The LibDems will be painted as Rejoiners - having the UK grasp the ankles and assume the position on the Euro, free movement, ever greater union, an EU army, standardised tax rates....
    The evidence is in the polling.

Despite the Lib Dems having advanced since the election, in contrast to UKIP and Labour, the LDs frequently return the smallest retention rate of their 2015GE voters, at around half (which of itself ought to be a terrifying stat, implying as it does that the true core LD vote is no higher than 4%).

However, while they've lost quite a few (including to Labour), they've also gained a lot. This is almost certainly Brexit-related given that while the proportion of their 2015 vote that backed Brexit was about 1 in 3, the proportion of their current vote that did so is about 1 in 6: a big enough difference given the relatively small growth in their share to imply both sizable Remain gains from other parties and also losses of Leave voters to them.
    The fact that they are unprincipled lying toerags does not support them recovering for a very very long time.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Something not going well for you?
  • Options

Full text here

That's just a right of first negotiation, not a right of first refusal.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It is ironic that American opponents of abortion are also often opposed to the largest single factor reducing abortion rates: contraception.
  • Options

daodao said:

A blockade is a hostile act and preventing shipping from free movement may be illegal under various maritime acts. Boarding a vessel without permission whilst it is going about its legal business may be viewed as piracy.

There is a large naval dockyard in Gibraltar and whilst the Royal Navy may be run down compared to its past glory, it is still an effective force to escort shipping.

Bev, get a grip, the Royal Navy is a joke. Have you never watched the Spanish making fools of them off Gibralter whenever it suits them or they want a laugh. By the time we got our battalion of Admirals out of the jacuzzi and sobered up enough to get any of the few bathtubs we still have floating out of the harbour they would have had a few days fun and would laugh their socks off. Remember our last clash with a few Iranian motorboats , ended up with our lot crying because their ipods were confiscated, whilst the big bathtubs implored the nasty Iranians to stop or they would get really really cross with them.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    felix said:

daodao said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Nope. Not a chance.

This is all a bit silly, isn't it? All that's happened is what was bound to happen if we voted for Brexit. I genuinely don't understand why this is attracting so much coverage.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've read in multiple places that the UK could have easily got another 99 year lease on the leased bits of HK if it had wished.
  • Options
    "Gorsuch added: “No doubt, the Greens’ religious convictions are contestable. Some may even find the Greens’ beliefs offensive. But no one disputes that they are sincerely held religious beliefs.” "

Hmmm... like that makes it OK. Lots of people have "... sincerely held religious beliefs ..." that are simply not acceptable. People complain about extreme Islam blowing up historical artefacts, but surely it should be OK as they have "...sincerely held religious beliefs"

Destroying history is shameful, but interfering in the lives of other people and removing their choices to suit sincerely held religious beliefs is worse.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ha Ha Ha , all is extremely well with me. No need to ask you that given your silver spoon.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

I seem to recall being taught, back in the 50’s, that in 1997 China would be entitled to have what were then called the New Territories back, and if they did go back Hong Kong Island would no longer be viable as a city.
  • Options
    The subtitle is "Jeremy Corbyn has announced he is to spend more time with his vegetables." which reminds me of a famous incident at a party conference where Margaret Thatcher and some of her cabinet where ordering dinner

Mrs T: I will have the roast beef
    Waiter: What about the vegetables ma'am?
    Mrs T: They'll have roast beef too!

:)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Full text here

That's just a right of first negotiation, not a right of first refusal.
    I will leave that for the lawyers to wrangle over
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The subtitle is "Jeremy Corbyn has announced he is to spend more time with his vegetables." which reminds me of a famous incident at a party conference where Margaret Thatcher and some of her cabinet where ordering dinner

A spitting image sketch I believe.

• Options
    edited April 2017

I seem to recall being taught, back in the 50’s, that in 1997 China would be entitled to have what were then called the New Territories back, and if they did go back Hong Kong Island would no longer be viable as a city.

OKC , yes the rapacious UK shysters could not make as much money out of it so they abandoned the people, only allowing their millionaire pals to come to UK. It was ever thus with these bloodsuckers, they are still the establishment and still sucking people dry.
  • Options

A spitting image sketch I believe.

Perhaps it was. I could believe it happened though... :)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

It is ironic that American opponents of abortion are also often opposed to the largest single factor reducing abortion rates: contraception.
    Yes, I really don't get the problem some on the American Right have with birth control.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/04/15/whats-morally-acceptable-it-depends-on-where-in-the-world-you-live/

When you go down to point 5, you'll even find there that only a small minority of Republicans see contraceptives as immoral. So right wingers who see birth control as immoral really are a tiny minority in the States. The more shocking stats are, that 46% of GOPers see premartial sex as immoral, and 54% see homosexuality as a sin.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Pulpstar said:

BudG said:

1.66 on Macron looks massive to me.
    It IS massive, in relation to his actual chances of winning. But that is not to say that it will not be even more massive in a few days time. The market at the moment is not a reflection of the chances of a particular candidate winning. The downward movement of Fillons price proves that - the worse he does in the polls the lower his price has gone in the past couple of weeks.

Maybe a bit nearer the actual vote, some serious bettors with serious money will enter the market and take advantage of the anomalies that currently exist. If that happens, then prices will become more realistically aligned with chances of the candidates winning. At the moment, the market is being driven by Traders.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

felix said:

daodao said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Nope. Not a chance.

This is all a bit silly, isn't it? All that's happened is what was bound to happen if we voted for Brexit. I genuinely don't understand why this is attracting so much coverage.

And basic stupidity. :/
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

"Gorsuch added: “No doubt, the Greens’ religious convictions are contestable. Some may even find the Greens’ beliefs offensive. But no one disputes that they are sincerely held religious beliefs.” "

Hmmm... like that makes it OK. Lots of people have "... sincerely held religious beliefs ..." that are simply not acceptable. People complain about extreme Islam blowing up historical artefacts, but surely it should be OK as they have "...sincerely held religious beliefs"

Destroying history is shameful, but interfering in the lives of other people and removing their choices to suit sincerely held religious beliefs is worse.
    Agreed. Gorsuch though is a Conservative, and they tend to prize religious freedom (along with gun rights).

Conservatives on Twitter love him (and can't understand why anyone else wouldn't). He came across okay in his Senate Hearings (overall), but I must admit that some of his rulings are concerning.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Yes, I really don't get the problem some on the American Right have with birth control.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/04/15/whats-morally-acceptable-it-depends-on-where-in-the-world-you-live/

When you go down to point 5, you'll even find there that only a small minority of Republicans see contraceptives as immoral. So right wingers who see birth control as immoral really are a tiny minority in the States. The more shocking stats are, that 46% of GOPers see premartial sex as immoral, and 54% see homosexuality as a sin.
    As the last two add up to 100% I assume it was an either/or choice.

What about premarital homosexual sex?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Questions for the Conservatives & Unionists in our ranks - would you rather keep hold of Scotland or Gibraltar?

There's nothing in either of them that are worth the bones of a single English SPAD.

Although the UK might have to trade Gibraltar away to get the much prized and oft cited Spanish veto over the entry of iScotland into the EU.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

OKC , yes the rapacious UK shysters could not make as much money out of it so they abandoned the people, only allowing their millionaire pals to come to UK. It was ever thus with these bloodsuckers, they are still the establishment and still sucking people dry.

I thought you were off potting begonias!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    They mis-read it. It really said that Jeremy Corbyn has gone for a contract extension, and has re-signed to lead the Labour Party for 20 more years....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    This really is a complete shower from the DfT:

http://tinyurl.com/ltvd3lp

The NAO need to have a close look at these deals. We're going to end up with perfectly good trains rusting away doing nothing.
  • Options
    *sigh!* The joys of being a domestic goddess....

Bye for now!
  • Options

daodao said:

It's not piracy when carried out by a state. It could legally be considered - like a blockade - an act of war.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I thought you were off potting begonias!

working up to it slowly
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Afternoon all.

A fine, well researched article Mr Herdson, many thanks. – I’ve come to the conclusion Labour’s problems are now far too well entrenched and will not disappear by merely replacing Corbyn. They’ll always have their bedrock of support of course, just fewer of them imo. Based on the recent figures both National and London, next May’s locals are going to be appalling, even more so for a party that has spent the last six years in opposition.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ha Ha Ha , all is extremely well with me. No need to ask you that given your silver spoon.
    Primogeniture sucks. That's all you need to know about my silver spoon.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

You do realise that was Spitting Image, not a real incident ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JbKtphau2M
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

A big fan of gavelkind succession? :p
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

So you’re in the modern equivalent of the Church or the Army. Or possibly the Indian or the Colonial Civil Service?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Slightly mystifying why the PB Thatchurbators are so desperate to draw comparisons between Thatch & Sturgeon. In their customary cloth eared way when it comes to Scotland, do they think the voters (who still largely loathe Magrit) are going to suddenly turn away from the EssEnnPee in a fit of 1980s déjà vu?

Thatcher makes people on all sides slightly hysterical.

Personally I think the comparisons from photo framing and valid slogans is just an amusing trifle.
    You are not a tax avoiding Channel Islands based Tory bigot who hates Scotland though.
    Give me time. Life can take a funny turn!

As a unionist but not a conservative, if I had to choose (which we do not), Scotland - without it the heart of the union is gone.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

This would imply about 60 Conservative gains from Labour.

Many would be seats that haven't voted Conservative for decades (eg Grimsby, Halifax, Hartlepool, NE Derbyshire, Stoke North and South). But, some ex-Conservative seats would remain Labour (eg Exeter, Crosby, Croydon North, Bristol West).
    But, let's say Corbyn is thrown overboard next year, and replaced.

How much can a new Labour leader claw back in 2 years? All of it, so they're back to Milliband's position, or is the damage too great?

That's the question I'm trying to assess in betting on this.
    I would expect a new leader to perform better than Milliband who was far too geeky and failed to connect .Circa 35% would be pretty likely.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

There's nothing in either of them that are worth the bones of a single English SPAD.

Although the UK might have to trade Gibraltar away to get the much prized and oft cited Spanish veto over the entry of iScotland into the EU.

Fruitcake of the day award. Now I really must away
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fruitcake of the day award. Now I really must away
    malc's made his mark on PB enough for today... :smiley:
  • Options

Agreed.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

One point David - while the solution to Labour's problems is indeed obvious, I would dispute that it is simple. We saw last year just how hard it is to shift Corbyn and little has changed since then for all the muttering about his stance on Europe. Unless a plausible unity candidate who can appeal to the party at large emerges (and at present not a single member of the PLP fits that criteria) Corbyn is safe unless he resigns. He clearly has no intention of resigning. Which means that Labour is facing real danger of utter wipeout - as TSE is now saying, more 1931 than 1983.

1935 IMHO. There are 150 Labour seats that are unsinkable.
    as a matter of interest , how many Tory seats are unsinkable?
    See May 1 1997.
    That said, Labour won 8 seats in Kent in 1997. They all now look solid for the Conservatives.
    There are quite a few seats in Shire England that Labour will probably never win again.
    Anyone know as a ballpark figure how many shire seats Blair won? Given that I find even many labour figures seem a little blue round here, it amazing to think how labour could chalkenge in such places.
    Probably about 50-60 seats Labour would never win now, off the top of my head.

Can you imagine Labour winning Dorset South, Wellingborough, Thanet South, Great Yarmouth or Portsmouth North now?
    Great Yarmouth is very winnable in a good year for Labour.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Many would be seats that haven't voted Conservative for decades (eg Grimsby, Halifax, Hartlepool, NE Derbyshire, Stoke North and South). But, some ex-Conservative seats would remain Labour (eg Exeter, Crosby, Croydon North, Bristol West).

How much can a new Labour leader claw back in 2 years? All of it, so they're back to Milliband's position, or is the damage too great?

I would expect a new leader to perform better than Milliband who was far too geeky and failed to connect .Circa 35% would be pretty likely.

It's easy to forget that Ed was the worst Labour leader since WW2, until Corbyn came along.

• Options
    Just a thought before I go to lunch, and thereafter to the lawnmower; it might be interesting to see the figures for the Don’t Knows, before they are re-allocated.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Laughable.

The Tories have damaged Labour beyond repair this parliament and CR is right to ask if it will "only" be as bad as before.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, did people think Miliband was worse than Foot?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited April 2017

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's easy to forget that Ed was the worst Labour leader since WW2, until Corbyn came along.

Yes, it's not a majority view, but I agree that he was worse than Foot (a fundamentally decent man placed in an impossible situation).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

Poundland Carlotta? You're slipping if you missed the chance to slip in a dig about Nicola's plans for the currency.

I'm surprised you aren't busy drawing up posters to explain how Ruth Davidson is the new Disraeli.

I'd compare Davidson to Derby. Not electorally especially successful (although a case could be made that he is the only party leader to win five consecutive general elections) but generally respected and doing a reasonable job after an extinction level event. I see no sign of a Scottish Disraeli.
    Is that 'winning an election' in the same sense that Hillary Clinton 'won'?
    That sort of thing, yes. Stanley/Derby always led the largest single party (the 'Liberals' being a coalition of three, arguably four distinct groups) but everyone else worked together to put another politician in power be that Russell, Aberdeen or Palmerston. Even so, he was Prime Minister on three separate occasions, quite an impressive achievement he shares with Baldwin and Salisbury, just behind Gladstone's record of four.
  • Options

Arguably the whole problem was most people thought Ed was only eleven inches in the Foot.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017

Ed was better, for a start Michael Foot never had anything like a twitter Milifandom club.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "You do realise that was Spitting Image, not a real incident ?!"

Looking at those Spitting Image clips it is interesting how the programme used to portray the late Princess Diana. She was then a thick sloane and not at all the modern day saint that some like to pretend after untimely death.
  • Options

Looking at those Spitting Image clips it is interesting how the programme used to portray the late Princess Diana. She was then a thick sloane and not at all the modern day saint that some like to pretend after untimely death.

Very interesting indeed.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I think we've said on here that it was simply stating the obvious - that if there is no deal it would weaken security cooperation, so we should strive to get a deal. The EU themselves say we can't sign a deal until everything is agreed (citizen rights, for example), so they themselves are tying it to the economic side of things. I fail to see how this is an "embarrassing climbdown".

Asked if he thought Ms May was engaged in “blackmail”, European Parliament negotiator Guy Verhofstadt said at the time: “I try to be a gentleman, so towards a lady I don’t even use or think about the word ‘blackmail’.”

How charming...
  • Options

Afternoon all.

A fine, well researched article Mr Herdson, many thanks. – I’ve come to the conclusion Labour’s problems are now far too well entrenched and will not disappear by merely replacing Corbyn. They’ll always have their bedrock of support of course, just fewer of them imo. Based on the recent figures both National and London, next May’s locals are going to be appalling, even more so for a party that has spent the last six years in opposition.

The London poll was not particularly bad for Labour and implied that since 2010 there has been a swing in its favour from both the Tories and LibDems.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    daodao said:

So Spain's claim of sovereignty over Gibraltar is 'rancid and medieval'? These continentals never can quite get the hang of English understatement.

Mind you, it seems to be a quality that's gradually seeping from the English themselves.

The sooner that England is taken down a peg or two and finally realises that the days of the butcher's apron smothering the rest of the world are over, the better. All territories outside England currently under British sovereignty should become independent or pass to the jurisdiction of a more appropriate local state. The UN security council should be re-organised to have as its 5 permanent members the EU, USA, Russia, China and India. NATO should be disbanded and replaced by an EU armed force for the protection of Europe.

Ah. The obligatory April Fools day posting.
  • Options

I remember Armando Ianucci's 'Armistice' programmes employed a posse of lookalikes who would go round 'caring'. I thought it very sad that they must have all received their P45s the day after she died.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Laughable.

The Tories have damaged Labour beyond repair this parliament and CR is right to ask if it will "only" be as bad as before.
    From my perspective, the damage looks to have been self-inflicted. Not sure that many people take a lot of notice of what goes on in parliament, but Mr Corbyn's supporters seems to be very vocal on social media labelling everyone to the right of Karl Marx as 'Tories'.

When people who aren't at all right-wing hear themselves classed as Tories, it does have a drip-drip effect of making genuine Conservatives seem not so threatening as you've always perceived them.

So it's quite possible that Mr Corbyn's supporters are busily de-toxifying the Conservative brand quite directly themselves, never mind that Labour under Mr Corbyn is not very palatable.

Good afternoon, everyone; and thanks, @david_herdson, for an interesting article.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

The same unfortunately can be said of the Catholic Church and that has far more influence than the fringe god-botherers in the US.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Laughable.

From my perspective, the damage looks to have been self-inflicted. Not sure that many people take a lot of notice of what goes on in parliament, but Mr Corbyn's supporters seems to be very vocal on social media labelling everyone to the right of Karl Marx as 'Tories'.

When people who aren't at all right-wing hear themselves classed as Tories, it does have a drip-drip effect of making genuine Conservatives seem not so threatening as you've always perceived them.

So it's quite possible that Mr Corbyn's supporters are busily de-toxifying the Conservative brand quite directly themselves, never mind that Labour under Mr Corbyn is not very palatable.

Good afternoon, everyone; and thanks, @david_herdson, for an interesting article.
    And yet, the irony is that it is they that are keeping the tories in power. So, it should be quite clear who the 'red tories' really are.
  • Options
    On Topic
    Interesting article by Herdson but I have to argue with the last line. Labours problems go much deeper than Corbyn, they are split from top to bottom along 2 axes : Left-Right & Brexit & the 2 cut across each other. If you tried to build new, coherent Parties out of the Labour rubble you would probably need at least 5. That why theres no split.
    The Labour "Party" is over.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    justin124 said:

Afternoon all.

The London poll was not particularly bad for Labour and implied that since 2010 there has been a swing in its favour from both the Tories and LibDems.
    I have no idea why they call you Justin Short Straws....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    AnneJGP said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Laughable.

If Labour replaces Corbyn with a charismatic middle of the road figure (OK a big 'if') then they could be back in the game very quickly. Politics is extremely volatile and May's tories haven't had to make compromises yet.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Afternoon all.

With respect , it is perfectly reasonable to point out in the context of this article that - according to the Yougov poll - Labour is performing better than it did in 2010.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Afternoon all.

With respect , it is perfectly reasonable to point out in the context of this article that - according to the Yougov poll - Labour is performing better than it did in 2010.
    Well yes, but since that was (a) their second worst result in the age of universal suffrage and (b) also six seven years ago (a divisive and fractious seven years, at that) it would be extraordinarily alarming for Labour if there had *not* been a swing to them since.

Forget 1931, we'd be looking at 1900.

Edited to remove my strange confusion over what year we are in. It's been a long term...
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Which country is it, again, that has ensured that the Gibraltar-Spain border will be an external EU one?

Britgov and mophead are reminding me of nothing more than Scotgov and fishy. It's not EU27's fault that Britain is in a pickle over Gibraltar and that faced with a closed border the population might decide within 10 years that it wants shared sovereignty. It's not the "FEBs'" fault that Scotland's not independent and doesn't contain the British capital. FFS quit whingeing and GTFU.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Laughable.

If Labour replaces Corbyn with a charismatic middle of the road figure (OK a big 'if') then they could be back in the game very quickly. Politics is extremely volatile and May's tories haven't had to make compromises yet.
    I think that's true, but it is a very big 'if' - and in the meantime their foundations are being slowly eroded.

One other thing that's surprised me is how deep the Leave/Remain divide runs. That factor too is eroding Labour's foundations. If Labour aren't prepared to serve (some of) their core voters' interests in this, those people are likely to feel betrayed at a very deep level.

It all mounts up.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Anthony Taylor is the worst referee in the PL. People get hurt when you don't do your job properly.
  • Options

On Topic
    Interesting article by Herdson but I have to argue with the last line. Labours problems go much deeper than Corbyn.

Yes, but it would be a good start.
This discussion has been closed.