Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the record where BREXIT opinion stood on Article 50 day

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    timmo said:

Does the triggering of A50 mean that as of today our MEPs are defunct?

No - Britain remains a member for two years or until the agreed date. For that time, the country retains all the privileges and obligations of membership.
  • Options
    Gloomy isn't it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

IanB2 said:

The pounds and ounces question is the clearest 'neutral' indicator of a huge age divide between Leave and Remain.

I am Remain and pounds and ounces. Feet and inches, too!

Napoleon's efforts were clearly wasted on you. A litre of (most) liquids weighs a kilogram, and 100 ml weighs 100 grams. What's not to like? Doubtless you still do your cooking recipes in cups?
    A cup is 240 ml :)
    Bring back rods, poles and perches.
  • Options
    isam said:

The start of Jeremy Corbyns statement in reply to the PMs A50 speech was almost word for word a @SouthamObserver post!

Harsh indeed on my fellow spurs fan
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,040
    edited March 2017

timmo said:

No - Britain remains a member for two years or until the agreed date. For that time, the country retains all the privileges and obligations of membership.
    Not goiving Farage and his motley crew a priveliged soapbox was a bright spot. However, if they were honourable, surely they should now withdraw, and cease clainimng their expenses.
  • Options

timmo said:

Not goiving Farage and his motley crew a priveliged soapbox was a bright spot. However, if they were honourable, surely they should now withdraw, and cease clainimng their expenses.
    "if they were honourable" - you answered your own question.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

You're dead wrong, you don't understand my feelings at all. The country that I once felt was mine has elected for insularity prompted by panderers to xenophobia. I don't regard it as political fraud, I regard it as national self-mutilation.

:+1:

My feelings about this are fairly simple. I'll be ok, but I feel pity for the people who will be shafted by this act of egregious stupidity and contempt for the people who have persuaded themselves that dealing with the complexities of the 21st century is just too much of a chore.

:+1::+1::+1:

I'm curious as to why you chose the Irish tricolour, rather than the EU flag as your avatar!
    Because she's proudly buggering off to Southern Ireland to escape Brexit.
    Hopefully to a place with no internet connection but we'd never be that lucky.
    I don't have much sympathy for the AC Grayling type but I do for those living in Ireland. There is good reason for them to be worried. Not sure it would be worth going round England explaining to people that they can't have their Brexit because of the situation in Ireland.
    If Ireland hadn't Irexited a hundred years or so ago, they could have had their input. The consequence of being a small country is that most people ignore you, most of the time.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975

GeoffM said:

You're dead wrong, you don't understand my feelings at all. The country that I once felt was mine has elected for insularity prompted by panderers to xenophobia. I don't regard it as political fraud, I regard it as national self-mutilation.

My feelings about this are fairly simple. I'll be ok, but I feel pity for the people who will be shafted by this act of egregious stupidity and contempt for the people who have persuaded themselves that dealing with the complexities of the 21st century is just too much of a chore.

I'm curious as to why you chose the Irish tricolour, rather than the EU flag as your avatar!
    I don't have much sympathy for the AC Grayling type but I do for those living in Ireland. There is good reason for them to be worried. Not sure it would be worth going round England explaining to people that they can't have their Brexit because of the situation in Ireland.
    If Ireland hadn't Irexited a hundred years or so ago, they could have had their input. The consequence of being a small country is that most people ignore you, most of the time.
    The vote would have been closer with Ireland included, but still "Leave" I think.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955

isam said:

The start of Jeremy Corbyns statement in reply to the PMs A50 speech was almost word for word a @SouthamObserver post!

Or maybe Corbyn is learning ;-)

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    calum said:
    Is it as accurate as his "wee blue book" :D

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    calum said:
    55% in my case.

What am I meant to conclude from that, though?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

The vote would have been closer with Ireland included, but still "Leave" I think.
    It's an interesting counterfactual. If the South were still in the UK, would its politics be more like Wales, or like Scotland?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    edited March 2017

isam said:

isam said:

An observation not a criticism!

Maybe he's a PBer? You should ask for some £££... or some influence!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,357

IanB2 said:

The pounds and ounces question is the clearest 'neutral' indicator of a huge age divide between Leave and Remain.

Napoleon's efforts were clearly wasted on you. A litre of (most) liquids weighs a kilogram, and 100 ml weighs 100 grams. What's not to like? Doubtless you still do your cooking recipes in cups?
    I think you'll find a metric cup is 250ml, an American cup is 236 (and a bit) ml and a Canadian cup is 227 (and a bit)?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

It's an interesting counterfactual. If the South were still in the UK, would its politics be more like Wales, or like Scotland?
    Scotland I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Finally a question to which the LibDems are the answer....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    No third party trade discussions is a bit like footballers not being able to discuss moves to new clubs. It happens whatever the rules say.

The Gulf Council aim to have something 'signature ready' the day we exit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,830
    Very sad that the UK's membership of the EU didn't work out. The Greek financial crisis and the German migrant crisis are probably responsible for tipping the Leave vote over 50% last June.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

IanB2 said:

Err....

A metric cup is 250ml. The USA cup is 236ml or 240ml depending on whether it is customary or legal. A japanese cup is 200ml and a canadian one is 8 fl.oz = 227ml

I hate the "cup" as a measurment :angry:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    IanB2 said:

First question is to know our true level of support

Full slate for May
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    tyson said:

Jesus H...... a fucking pbCom get together spearheaded by The neo fascist Mortimer to celebrate Article 50.......

I'd prefer to complete a shift in the Rikers Island prison cells touching my toes.......

Sorry I can't attend such an event but have fun!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Err....

A metric cup is 250ml. The USA cup is 236ml or 240ml depending on whether it is customary or legal. A japanese cup is 200ml and a canadian one is 8 fl.oz = 227ml

I thoughts cups came in A, B, C or D. Possibly other sizes.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    Mr. JS, the close nature of the vote means any number of factors could've made the difference. Boris' staggering cock-up of leadership manoeuvrings, Cameron's rubbish deal, two terrible campaigns (of which Remain was worse because it seemed solely negative).

I do agree the migrant crisis and the eurozone sovereign debt crisis didn't exactly help.

Mr. Chestnut, quite.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

No third party trade discussions is a bit like footballers not being able to discuss moves to new clubs. It happens whatever the rules say.

That's the Parliament. The Commission will decide and part of A50 requires the framework for the future arrrangement to be agreed
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Sorry to ask this, been away etc, this afternoon - if it's been discussed already, but do I read the letter as saying there will be a transitional period ("implementation period")?
  • Options
    King Cole, this is a serious website, not a place for titillation or tittle-tattle!
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jesus H...... a fucking pbCom get together spearheaded by The neo fascist Mortimer to celebrate Article 50.......

I'd prefer to complete a shift in the Rikers Island prison cells touching my toes.......

Thank you very much Garry Bushell
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Sorry to ask this, been away etc, this afternoon - if it's been discussed already, but do I read the letter as saying there will be a transitional period ("implementation period")?

Yes. And the EP wants one, too.

Clearly it's going to happen. There won't be a cliff-edge.
    And no screeching from Brexiters? That is surprising, if welcome, given that transitional period = not actually Brexiting.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

As a BME person, I would rather live in Britain than Alastair Meeks' Hungary.
    People used to refuse to drink ZA wine because of the mere pennies out of the price which went to the apartheid government and its supporters. Mr Meeks pays, at a guess, tens of thousands of pounds a year to Orban's exchequer for Orban to imprison migrants and discriminate against gays. Orban has explicitly invited white Western Europeans to emigrate to Hungary to escape the muslims in their home countries, and Nick Griffiths has said that he is considering accepting this offer.

And what are the feelings of the wider Hungarian population?

"“One young boy, 14, from the poorest part of the country said ‘migrant’ had already become the playground insult of choice, replacing anti-gay and anti-Roma slurs,” he said." https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/hungary-migration-poll-divides-nation-viktor-orban

Read, re-read and savour that when reading Meeksian fulminations against the UK proletariat. The man so disgusted with a country where 52% voted leave that he has fled to a country where 98%, I say again 98%, voted not generally against the EU but specifically against migrants, after a virulent government campaign partly funded by Mr Meeks.

I don't often feel genuine moral disgust, but I would be more comfortable if Mr Meeks would shut up.
  • Options
    Incidentally, hearing many good things about Horizon Zero Dawn. Seems to have nailed every aspect. Whilst aware of it, it was more on my wait-and-see list than must-buy. Will probably wait for the price to fall, then get it.

Meanwhile, Mass Effect: Andromeda's getting mixed reviews, to be polite. After The Witcher 3, I don't think RPGs can get away with shopping list side-quests.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

And no screeching from Brexiters? That is surprising, if welcome, given that transitional period = not actually Brexiting.
    A transition period makes GE2020 interesting and complicates the Scottish question.
  • Options
    Listening to Heseltine he is every bit as bitter and extreme as Farage on the other end of the scale.

Fortunately neither of their views will constitute the deal finally achieved by TM
  • Options

They do indeed and just to add confusion, not all C cups (as an example) are the same. A 38C is the same as a 36D
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

People used to refuse to drink ZA wine because of the mere pennies out of the price which went to the apartheid government and its supporters. Mr Meeks pays, at a guess, tens of thousands of pounds a year to Orban's exchequer for Orban to imprison migrants and discriminate against gays. Orban has explicitly invited white Western Europeans to emigrate to Hungary to escape the muslims in their home countries, and Nick Griffiths has said that he is considering accepting this offer.

"“One young boy, 14, from the poorest part of the country said ‘migrant’ had already become the playground insult of choice, replacing anti-gay and anti-Roma slurs,” he said." https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/hungary-migration-poll-divides-nation-viktor-orban

Read, re-read and savour that when reading Meeksian fulminations against the UK proletariat. The man so disgusted with a country where 52% voted leave that he has fled to a country where 98%, I say again 98%, voted not generally against the EU but specifically against migrants, after a virulent government campaign partly funded by Mr Meeks.

I don't often feel genuine moral disgust, but I would be more comfortable if Mr Meeks would shut up.
    17.2hh? 17.3hh? Careful not to fall off.

Surely it is a process of gentle and cooperative persuasion as part of the group rather than finger-wagging from outside?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    chestnut said:

Plus, what are they going to do to stop us? Kick us out?
  • Options
    Theresa May could have simply messed up her hair and belted out this Foo Fighters song.. lyrics fit quite well

https://youtu.be/fTaOlBWcl48
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    IanB2 said:

Slightly off topic but this reminded me that John Redwood's blog claims to be Speaking for England. I kid you not.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Listening to Heseltine he is every bit as bitter and extreme as Farage on the other end of the scale.

Only one of them is planning to emigrate if Brexit is a disaster.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Wouldn’t be too surprised if’ migrant’ was a term of abuse here too. One of the teachers in my family has just (before last week) had to deal with some horrendous anti-Muslim remarks from a small group in one of the classes she teaches.
    AFAIK there are few if any Muslims in the school and not a lot in the area generally.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Block our WTO schedules.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    chestnut said:

Besides which, it is a Parliamentary motion, not legislation, and not within the mandate of the parliament to legislate anyway.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just because someone lives in a country that doesn't necessarily mean that they support the government.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Err....

The best recipes are in ratios, not measurements.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Presumably there will be an item by item implementation schedule according to specific issues.

Freedom of movement is one area that will presumably happen instantly.

The EU budget is agreed to 2020 so there is bound to be some bargaining involved.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Time to place your bets on our actual exit date...I wouldn't bet on 2019
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Wouldn’t be too surprised if’ migrant’ was a term of abuse here too. One of the teachers in my family has just (before last week) had to deal with some horrendous anti-Muslim remarks from a small group in one of the classes she teaches.
    AFAIK there are few if any Muslims in the school and not a lot in the area generally.
    In the school in East London where my Dad taught, the biggest tension was between Eastern Europeans and Africans, the Eastern Europeans telling the Africans to go home.

Hard to say how racist the WWC kids were, there weren't enough to get a meaningful sample

• Options
    King Cole, nothing new. Once heard a prolonged bout of anti-Jewish nonsense when I was at school.

Mrs C, also, a great many (maybe a majority) of women wear bras of the wrong size. [The things that are learnt when doing a university course that's 95% female are sometimes peculiar].
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Interesting.

In a counter-history where the Irish independence movement had failed and britain successfully reasserted its sovereignty, I suspect anti-establishment sentiment would have remained high and found other outlets.

I think overall, Ireland would have split quite heavily for leave.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

To be honest I have no idea what he said.

• Options

chestnut said:

Block our WTO schedules.
    How do you think the global community would react to that - especially those set to gain from our new found freedoms?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Ishmael_Z said:

Just because someone lives in a country that doesn't necessarily mean that they support the government.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited March 2017

Only one of them is planning to emigrate if Brexit is a disaster.
    Good to see you say 'if' rather than when.

Obviously today has been a good start and it will be interesting to see how the polls look this coming weekend, especially on approval for Theresa May
  • Options

They do indeed and just to add confusion, not all C cups (as an example) are the same. A 38C is the same as a 36D
    Telling for a friend.

There is a website called Boobpedia. NSFW, natch!
  • Options

chestnut said:

Block our WTO schedules.
    Pathetic
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Kevin Schofield‏ @PolhomeEditor
    Yes it is ...
    Tamara Cohen‏ @tamcohen
    Amber Rudd says UK largest contributor to Europol. If we left we take our information with us. "This isn't controversial" she tells @SkyNews
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

17.2hh? 17.3hh? Careful not to fall off.

Surely it is a process of gentle and cooperative persuasion as part of the group rather than finger-wagging from outside?
    Wrong target, because I'm not the one who condemns half the UK electorate as shell-suited bigots, and rushes off to support the most racist government in Europe because, ooh, it makes such an impressive lifestyle statement and you get such a lot of chateau for your money.

Mind you if you think property is cheap there now think where it will be after another 5 years of Orban. Plus it's priced in forints, not euros. I do hope Mr Meeks is not losing sleep over this.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Here's his full statement. When I heard it, the first couple of paragraphs sounded like what you have said on here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-response-theresa-mays-10121716
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Again, of interest

"He said Brexit will “force Europe to go forward, undoubtedly with different speeds”, describing the procedure to exit the EU as “irreversible”.

The EZ obtain a majority voting bloc over the EU post Brexit. The eight non-euro hangers-on have suddenly lost a lot of say.
  • Options

Mrs C, also, a great many (maybe a majority) of women wear bras of the wrong size.

Tell me about it. It would help if a 36B from one manufacturer was the same size and fit as another manufacturer's 36B. That is why M&S actually have professional bra-fit staff

[The things that are learnt when doing a university course that's 95% female are sometimes peculiar].

It is only peculiar to blokes (or at least ones that do not need bras) ;)
  • Options
    Hollande will soon be dans la poubelle d'histoire.

[Apologies for the super dodgy French].
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:
    GBP 13 billion in annual payments would be ludicrous. It is more than the current net payments under full membership.
    Yes, I posted it in a trollish way. I don't think we'd pay anything like that. But £100m a week? Yes, that's possible. Half what we pay now, in return for control on FoM, and access to Erasmus, the science stuff, tariff free trade in goods and services (as near as poss).

Personally, I'd hold out for nothing more than the pro rata contributions to the organizations like Erasmus we wish to remain a part of, then nothing to the EU general budget and a deal more akin to CETA plus, to provide very low bureaucratic barriers to those parts of the supply chains for manufactured goods that will straddle the new border.

For 5 billion, we'd need to have unfettered access to their services market in addition to goods, while being able to shield our financial industry from Tobin taxes on transactions not involving EU entities.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ishmael_Z said:

Your weird and unhealthy obsession with my private life continues.

As it happens, I am in Hungary now, having made a two day train journey over the weekend to get here with my partner. He is currently sleeping upstairs, happy because he has reached the place that he most truly considers home after a nine month absence. You can think whatever you like about me, I am confident that I have my priorities right.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

They pay taxes. If they live in the country by necessity - because they are natives or are there to earn a living - they pay those taxes under compulsion. Otherwise the payment is discretionary and voluntary.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Macron is cut from similar cloth to Hollande, and he wants the Germans to bankroll the lot.

"I am not suggesting we throw out all the rules, but that we make an EU budget with the ability to raise its own funds. We need to change the stability mechanism and then invest in education, transport etc.”

More Europe.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    chestnut said:

The EZ obtain a majority voting bloc over the EU post Brexit. The eight non-euro hangers-on have suddenly lost a lot of say.

They will probably be keeping a close eye on how we fair. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the medium term others follow us out.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited March 2017

Mrs C, also, a great many (maybe a majority) of women wear bras of the wrong size.

Tell me about it. It would help if a 36B from one manufacturer was the same size and fit as another manufacturer's 36B. That is why M&S actually have professional bra-fit staff

It is also why Her Majesty only ever goes to Rigby and Peller, and hence has a lot to do with why I am not rich!

Edit: sorry, buggered up the block quotes.
  • Options
    Nein Nein Nein !
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Interesting.

In a counter-history where the Irish independence movement had failed and britain successfully reasserted its sovereignty, I suspect anti-establishment sentiment would have remained high and found other outlets.

I think overall, Ireland would have split quite heavily for leave.
    Treaty of Rome?????
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Time to place your bets on our actual exit date...I wouldn't bet on 2019
    Legally (unless we change our minds, of course) we will Brexit on March 29 2019, even if there is a transitional period. From March 29, 2019 we will no longer have a commissioner, no MEP, no Minister in the Council, we're out.

It will be a transitional period for the purposes of sorting out customs, tariffs and trade.
    It could be either earlier, if the UK and EU agree it so, or later, if all 28 members agree to an extension on talks. Neither is particularly likely but nor are they negligible chances.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    You lose "little ray of sunshine" to Mr Glenn - by a humiliating minute.....
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

As it happens, I am in Hungary now, having made a two day train journey over the weekend to get here with my partner. He is currently sleeping upstairs, happy because he has reached the place that he most truly considers home after a nine month absence. You can think whatever you like about me, I am confident that I have my priorities right.
    That doesn't work at all. I know you have property in Hungary because you frequently say so. You have peered into the souls of 52% of the electorate and exposed the malevolence and stupidity within, which looks to me like iinterest in their private lives. Paying taxes to the Orban regime is not a private act.

Glad to hear your partner is happy, though.
  • Options
    Mr. Chestnut, taxes paid directly to Brussels is a large step towards a nation-state.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

That doesn't work at all. I know you have property in Hungary because you frequently say so. You have peered into the souls of 52% of the electorate and exposed the malevolence and stupidity within, which looks to me like iinterest in their private lives. Paying taxes to the Orban regime is not a private act.

I have no interest in what weirdos off the internet think of me.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nein Nein Nein !

You realise we're going to have months of the tabloids doing Greek style caricatures of Merkel as Hitler dictating to us...

Perhaps it will even sink in that we're not in control.
  • Options

^^;

Interesting that your partner considers Hungary home rather than London mind (Where your more permanent residence is).
    Where do you consider home ?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Here's his full statement. When I heard it, the first couple of paragraphs sounded like what you have said on here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-response-theresa-mays-10121716

He lost me at Labour!

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Nein Nein Nein !

You realise we're going to have months of the tabloids doing Greek style caricatures of Merkel as Hitler dictating to us...

Perhaps it will even sink in that we're not in control.
    The £300bn bill she has just been handed by The Don for backdated NATO payments must be on her mind, William.
  • Options

It is also why Her Majesty only ever goes to Rigby and Peller, and hence has a lot to do with why I am not rich!

Edit: sorry, buggered up the block quotes.
    Good for Mrs Rex! :+1::)
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

But you are more than willing to impugn the intelligence, motives and humanity of anyone who disagrees with your maudlin view of mankind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think membership of the EU is holding back any UK company from seeking non-EU oportunities while there remains just under half our trade with the EU at the moment.

Anyway, onto more important matters. On the plane watch Grimsby and Keeping up with the Joneses (the first better than the second, both "dreadful", but plenty of laughs). Plus enjoy the Captain's Bar.

It's short haul so I'm not sure of the entertainment options. I'm only flying in from Manila (drumming up business for the Swiss economy!), we spent yesterday evening in the Mall of Asia. Man do they love to shop here. The news has Brexit on now, apparently our trade with the Philippines is worth $650m per year and it grew 30% last year and is on track to grow 50% this year.

On the issues, I agree that being in the EU doesn't specifically preclude trade with non-EU nations. It is the part of our British disease in the management classes of taking the path of least resistance. Since 2012 it has been changing. Not fast enough though, and Brexit will lead to a permanent lowering of EU trade in favour of non-EU trade, further distancing us from the continent. As it should be.
    Path of least resistance is an interesting way of putting trading with your closest neighbours rather than one, say, 5,000 miles away. It is what people do and although I appreciate we need improvement in many areas, I don't think there should be a minimum distance rule for UK companies seeking to do business.
    Well in that sense and also in a sense of regulatory and standards alignment. Winning a contract selling widgets to a German company is easier than winning a contract selling to a Japanese company since the Japanese company will require said widgets to comply with Japanese standards, while the German company will require the same standards as the exporting company from the UK.

That's still going to be broadly true after Brexit anyway, but psychologically I think not being in the EU will make a differenuropean border for trade. Formally cutting our ties with the EU will yield a larger effect among the management classes.
    Hmm. It is a funny old way of going about it. The market takes care of a lot of this, as you describe, and the government's campaign is a useful addition. But none of it argues for making our largest and closest market less accessible. It's a pretty brutal way of going about running an economy. A bit like putting a one-year old on a bicycle to make them learn how to cycle.

* @kle4 not my best analogy.
    No, I think it's sound.
  • Options

weirdos off the internet

No need to be so hard on yourself :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    So, first impressions - Our letter was conciliatory because we are more keen on a deal than them, we put our cards on the table a little, and the leaked EU position shows they will play hardball.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Abject fail.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:
    You lose "little ray of sunshine" to Mr Glenn - by a humiliating minute.....
    Both of us know we would have lost to ScottP is he was active.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So, first impressions - Our letter was conciliatory because we are more keen on a deal than them, we put our cards on the table a little, and the leaked EU position shows they will play hardball.

Well they don't really need a deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Nein Nein Nein !

Das war ein Befehl! Der Brexit-Angriff war ein Befehl!!!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

I've had a long and difficult day so will swerve Mortimer's "do" this evening but hope it goes well for all attending.

I've very mixed feelings about today and although I voted LEAVE last year and am in no doubt it is the correct path for the country I am far from in a triumphalist frame of mind.

For all its many failings, the EU was no brutal tyranny and we were no subjugated province - most tyrannies don't have an A50 element - so talk of "freedom" is a shade overcooked.

I consider the Single Market a disaster - it has sucked money and people from the impoverished periphery to a few areas of over-weaning economic power. Whether it be London, the Rhineland or other areas, the richer areas have got richer with the weight of people drawn to them while the peripheries have been depopulated and impoverished.

The Euro has similarly been catastrophic - had serious and rigorous criteria existed and been applied, a small number of northern European countries (Germany, Austria, Holland, Luxembourg, Finland perhaps) might have been well suited to joining an economic union (though they could have saved a lot of time and just called it the Mark or the Florin).

As for Britain, since Messina it has been clear we have never truly belonged. Some, from Heath to Blair and even Cameron have tried laudably to make the connection but the Anglo-Saxon historical, cultural, social, political and economic identity isn't that of mainland Europe or even Scandinavia. We are different - there's nothing wrong with that, it's simply the truth.

For the future, the line from May, as much driven by political necessity as reality, is a woeful cliché montage of unity and unrealistic expectation. As Mr Mercury might have opined "we want it all and we want it in 2019". At the moment, anyone and everyone can vest their expectations in May - she is saying the only thing she can, that it will be all right and we will get what we want. The image of her signing at the desk looked more like a politician signing an instrument of surrender but of course it's not that.

Managing the totality of expectation isn't going to be easy - in a way the route the country has followed since Suez has reached a dead end. What is to be our place in the world - what do we want it to be ? I've no desire to live in a low-tax, unregulated sweat shop prostituting myself for any rich foreigner who wants somewhere to live or someone to serve them coffee or cut their hair or chauffeur them around London (or whatever).

As an internationalist, I believe we have much to offer but not as a glorified theme park. The post-EU world has to work for us in terms of making Britain a great place to live for the British in terms of jobs, homes, transport and a raft of other things. Safeguarding the rights of the poorest to welfare, decent jobs, pay, holidays and healthcare is for me paramount and that is from where A50 should be starting.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

GeoffM said:

A lesson many in Scotland are extremely reluctant to learn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

All opening positions. A50 requires the framework for the future relationship to be agreed and does not state pre conditions on it. Therefore Merkel's position is not compatable with A50
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    kle4 said:

Our cards are the equivalent of a poker 2 and 7.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Well they don't really need a deal.
    Depends on who you listen to.

Irish farmers, Dutch food processors, French and Spanish fishermen......

They will be at each other like rats in a sack before you know it.

We've thrown a very big cat among the pigeons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think we are seeing somewhat mixed signals from Europe -Tusk and Barnier regretful, but constructive, Hollande, who possibly hadn't seen the letter as he's in Indonesia, negative, and Merkel going back on what she'd said before....
This discussion has been closed.