Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review March 2017

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Charles said:

Does anyone know why the hashtag #IstandwithTomWatson is trending on Twitter? Have I missed something? (And please, only give me an answer if it is short, reasonably accurate and generally comprehensible. I know that's a big ask, but I've had a tough day and I haven't got time to try to remember all the fuss that's been going on in the Labour Party for the last few months - life's too short.)

Because #I lie with Tom Watson is open to misinterpretation?
    LOL
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited March 2017
    Christ, Scottish education really is going down the pan.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodLiam/status/845315289566908416
    Oh.

'The son of James Comyn Amherst Burnett of Leys and Fiona Mercedes Phillips, he is a fourth-great-grandson of Nicholas I of Russia on his mother's side. He was educated at Eton College and Newcastle University, where he graduated with an LL.B..'
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/845380987366363137

"Germany lost the war, yet Brexit let's them win the Peace"

Wow. Lol. Bye bye Lord H

Sounds like the FA might need to investigate Heseltine's singing.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Apparently the Republican house voted over 60 times during Obama's presidency to repeal the ACA. But when given the chance to actually do it...

Virtue signallers..
    At least you concede that wanting to repeal Obamacare is a virtue.
    Yeah, & every time some alt righty whines out 'virtue signaller', they're acknowledging virtue.

Well played in conceding that.
    You don't understand the phrase. The signalling part is the unpleasant bit.
    Again, well played in conceding the unpleasant, impotent snivelling of voting over 60 times during Obama's presidency to repeal the ACA.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Never mind, I'm sure there's a highly amusing alt right blog that will explain why Donald Trump has outsmarted all his opponents today.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Never mind, I'm sure there's a highly amusing alt right blog that will explain why Donald Trump has outsmarted all his opponents today.

Well Ms Plato's banned so we'll never know. :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited March 2017
    tlg86 said:

Really? Why did she get the ban hammer?

You don't really read pb for 2 days and you find two prominent posters have been banned.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

https://imgur.com/Gbq5d
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Never mind!

Trump 306 electoral votes
    Hillary 232

:innocent:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,764
    edited March 2017
    The date I'm not sure of, but the name "United Kingdom of Great-Britain" is there in the Act of Union

Oh.

'The son of James Comyn Amherst Burnett of Leys and Fiona Mercedes Phillips, he is a fourth-great-grandson of Nicholas I of Russia on his mother's side. He was educated at Eton College and Newcastle University, where he graduated with an LL.B..'

• Options

Never mind!

Trump 306 electoral votes
    Hillary 232

:innocent:
    I expect a number of Republican Congressmen are now wishing those figures had been reversed, especially with next year's midterms coming up
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    'After withdrawing his health care bill from the House floor in an embarrassing defeat, Speaker Paul Ryan said Friday that “Obamacare is the law of the land” and will remain so “for the foreseeable future.”
    “I don't know what else to say other than Obamacare is the law of the land,” Ryan told reporters shortly after House Republicans canceled a planned afternoon vote on their alternative to Barack Obama’s 2010 health care reform law.
    “It's gonna remain the law of the land until it's replaced,” Ryan continued. “We did not have quite the votes to replace this law. And, so, yeah, we're going to be living with Obamacare for the foreseeable future.” '
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-failed-paul-ryan-reaction-236478
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Mr. Omnium, huzzah!

Mr. Orphan, I think Farage might wait and see if South Thanet gets re-run, then jump ship after he's either stood there or it's confirmed there's no re-run.

Mr. 1000, to be fair, Farage is an odd sort of political heavyweight, which Kilroy-Silk never was.

Mrs C, clearly a neo-Aryan alt-right populist propagandist.

Didn't Robert Kilroy-Silk actually manage to get elected as an MP, unlike Nigel Farage?
    For which party ?
    Labour:

Ormskirk 74 to 83
    Knowsley N 83 to 86

Then resigned to host his own talk show.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mr. Orphan, it's not a great name for a party, but depending how things progress, it could grow rapidly. Will Farage join?

He should call it Veritas.
    I thought there was one? Or has it gone the way of the dodo?
    Merged into the English Democrats. Kilroy sat as an independent MEP from 2005 to 2009.
  • Options
    Ajao maintained contact with his daughters especially his youngest Andi, who at the age of 16 would suffer terrible injuries when hit by a lorry as she crossed the road on her way to school in 2008. It seems remarkable – given what would happen almost a decade later on Westminster Bridge –but Ajao would spend hours at his daughter’s bedside, praying for her recovery.Hi
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

'After withdrawing his health care bill from the House floor in an embarrassing defeat, Speaker Paul Ryan said Friday that “Obamacare is the law of the land” and will remain so “for the foreseeable future.”
    “I don't know what else to say other than Obamacare is the law of the land,” Ryan told reporters shortly after House Republicans canceled a planned afternoon vote on their alternative to Barack Obama’s 2010 health care reform law.
    “It's gonna remain the law of the land until it's replaced,” Ryan continued. “We did not have quite the votes to replace this law. And, so, yeah, we're going to be living with Obamacare for the foreseeable future.” '
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-failed-paul-ryan-reaction-236478

lol. Hillary Clinton must be smiling right now.

25 years after the battle started, the war is finally being won.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes we CARE!
  • Options
    The Unite for Europe march tomorrow looks a little divided. I can understand that some of them might think that stretching Police resources in the capital at this time might be unhelpful.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/24/pro-eu-march-to-go-ahead-in-london-despite-westminster-attack
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and makes Obama and Pelosi's achievement in getting Obamacare passed through Congress in the first place even more impressive
  • Options

The Unite for Europe march tomorrow looks a little divided. I can understand that some of them might think that stretching Police resources in the capital at this time might be unhelpful.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/24/pro-eu-march-to-go-ahead-in-london-despite-westminster-attack

New organisers have asked that a controversial carnival float imported from Germany that shows a giant model of Theresa May with a gun in her mouth not now be brought to the march.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes we CARE!
    It is certainly a huge boost to Obama's legacy
  • Options

New organisers have asked that a controversial carnival float imported from Germany that shows a giant model of Theresa May with a gun in her mouth not now be brought to the march.
    That's probably for the best. Wouldn't look good for Farron, Clegg and Lammy to be seen with that at the minute.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Does anyone know why the hashtag #IstandwithTomWatson is trending on Twitter? Have I missed something? (And please, only give me an answer if it is short, reasonably accurate and generally comprehensible. I know that's a big ask, but I've had a tough day and I haven't got time to try to remember all the fuss that's been going on in the Labour Party for the last few months - life's too short.)

I can't think of any positive interpretation of that.
    The Unfortunate casualty of a heroic battle to recapture the soul of the Labour Party, he and Tom Watson lay on the field together

(But yes neither of the 2 obvious interpretations are positive)
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017

Where does one start? He gets the name of the Union that came into effect in 1707 right, but there's a different union now. He gets the date wrong. What he's probably getting confused with is the date the Scottish Parliament adjourned, which was 25 March 1707. As for that, a union can't "invent" things, and what does it mean to say that the union "would go on" to rid the world of dictatorships and slavery? Several other mistakes could be mentioned in this semi-literate spew. Is Mr Burnett all right in the head? And why does he still have a Clarendon school sixth-form haircut at his age?

• Options
    OK, if I have got this right (and I probably haven't) then it would seem that some Comrades are going to propose Emily Thornberry as Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. Hence the #IStandWithTomWatson circus over on Twitter. (Warning: contains adult content and ideological views which some people might find distressing/amusing, according to taste.)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Mr. Omnium, huzzah!

Mr. Orphan, I think Farage might wait and see if South Thanet gets re-run, then jump ship after he's either stood there or it's confirmed there's no re-run.

Mr. 1000, to be fair, Farage is an odd sort of political heavyweight, which Kilroy-Silk never was.

Mrs C, clearly a neo-Aryan alt-right populist propagandist.

Didn't Robert Kilroy-Silk actually manage to get elected as an MP, unlike Nigel Farage?
    For which party ?
    KIlroy -Silk was a LAB MP.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Charles said:

Comment of the week.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyan said:

Where does one start? He gets the name of the Union that came into effect in 1707 right, but there's a different union now. He gets the date wrong. What he's probably getting confused with is the date the Scottish Parliament adjourned, which was 25 March 1707. As for that, a union can't "invent" things, and what does it mean to say that the union "would go on" to rid the world of dictatorships and slavery? Several other mistakes could be mentioned in this semi-literate spew. Is Mr Burnett all right in the head? And why does he still have a Clarendon school sixth-form haircut at his age?

And congrats to us for stopping the transatlantic slave trade, but who does he think started it?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

And congrats to us for stopping the transatlantic slave trade, but who does he think started it?
    Well, it certainly wasn't the British! For the Transatlantic trade, you might want to start with the Spanish and/or the Portuguese, with the French not far behind.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

Well, it certainly wasn't the British! For the Transatlantic trade, you might want to start with the Spanish and/or the Portuguese, with the French not far behind.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

OK, if I have got this right (and I probably haven't) then it would seem that some Comrades are going to propose Emily Thornberry as Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. Hence the #IStandWithTomWatson circus over on Twitter. (Warning: contains adult content and ideological views which some people might find distressing/amusing, according to taste.)

:)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

"The major Atlantic slave trading nations, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, and the Dutch Empire. " https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

But yes the Portuguese probably thought of it first
  • Options

HYUFD said:

comic relief is struggling for the comedy elements... powerful stuff is done well though

I sometimes think they would raise more money if they promised not to show the programme
    We're switching off to avoid the comedy bits and watching the important but tough stuff.... That's not always the case
    Dude, help I agree with TPD Reckless.

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/845242956600750081
    it's a nasty infectious disease isn't it? soon passes mind you....
  • Options
    Yes!!!

Scored 2 tickets to see 2 episode of Peter Kay Car Share 2 at a cinema next friday...

which i'll then be able to watch for free on telly soon.

Oh.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2017
    Elli Mae O'Hagen really tying herself up in knots on the Sky News paper review to not blame the London attack on Islam. He's just a violent lone wolf with a history of violence towards women like many, many white men. It's disturbing that some people are so scared of causing offence that they'll forgive anything.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

"The major Atlantic slave trading nations, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, and the Dutch Empire. " https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

An auld alliance, as it were.
  • Options
    Reaction - Behind the grandstanding, the SNP is in relentless decline

"Nick Robinson was interviewing Aileen Campbell, Scottish Health Minister, who had come on air to crow about the SNP government’s generosity in announcing it would fund three free cycles of IVF treatment for Scottish couples desirous of having a family. Robinson ungenerously chose to rain on her parade: instead of writhing in mute admiration of this taxpayer-funded largesse he pointed out that this commitment would cost “many millions” at a time when a Glasgow maternity hospital had to turn away expectant mothers, Scotland was missing A&E targets and the BMA had described the Scottish NHS as “near breaking point”.

The minister was clearly dumbfounded by this impertinent attempt to hold her to account – something that would not happen in a Scottish media context where hacks know their place in a burgeoning one-party state – as emerged in the climactic moments of this car-crash interview."
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

All good stuff, thanks. One reason for Britain's position towards the top of the (numerical) table is because the British Empire lasted so much longer than the others. When considered on a numbers per annum" basis, I think it's the USA that ranks quite highly, but nowhere near the Spanish. And also, of course, those figures take no account of African Agency, which made the whole thing possible.
    Curiously, in the history of the world, most slaves left the East coast of Africa, not the West - because they were going to Arabia.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Totally unrelated to anything else.

In Belarus the country called Europe's last dictatorship..and a proper one, with a ruler sporting a proper moustache, there are some very odd going ons. Over the coming days and weeks it may make interesting reading.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Reports of a several people shot in lille. Anti terrorist services deployed.
  • Options

Three injured, no dead, according to Russia Today.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

All good stuff, thanks. One reason for Britain's position towards the top of the (numerical) table is because the British Empire lasted so much longer than the others. When considered on a numbers per annum" basis, I think it's the USA that ranks quite highly, but nowhere near the Spanish. And also, of course, those figures take no account of African Agency, which made the whole thing possible.
    Curiously, in the history of the world, most slaves left the East coast of Africa, not the West - because they were going to Arabia.
    Slavery still persists in Arabia and Africa.
  • Options

Where do you hear this sort of news so quickly? Twitter?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341
    Lille - some reports firm that this is not terrorism-related
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

comic relief is struggling for the comedy elements... powerful stuff is done well though

I sometimes think they would raise more money if they promised not to show the programme
    We're switching off to avoid the comedy bits and watching the important but tough stuff.... That's not always the case
    Dude, help I agree with TPD Reckless.

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/845242956600750081
    If we have to pay higher prices for French beef, Welsh farmers can fill in the gap
    It's their export market that will be fucked by a hard brexit. But hey, many of them voted for it, and I for one would rather see our own public money spent on schools and hospitals than subsidising land ownership. Heart of stone and all that.
  • Options

As chief whip it is my job to have my finger on the pulse ;-)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

And Asia and parts of Europe, sadly. Obviously, a lot depends on definitions, but the horror is still real. Philipina maids in Hong Kong without access to their own passports, and those tarmacking gangs imprisoning the mentally inadequate in Britain all count, as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Apparently the Republican house voted over 60 times during Obama's presidency to repeal the ACA. But when given the chance to actually do it...

Virtue signallers..
    At least you concede that wanting to repeal Obamacare is a virtue.
    Yeah, & every time some alt righty whines out 'virtue signaller', they're acknowledging virtue.

Well played in conceding that.
    You don't understand the phrase. The signalling part is the unpleasant bit.
    You signal the virtue of your hard rightness with every post. So?
  • Options

It's on the front page of Russia Today. Three people injured, not clear if it's terrorist related or not.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SNP continue to side with EU over the UK... Just think Ed Miliband in Alex Salmond's pocket...

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/845391125963771905
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's on the front page of Russia Today. Three people injured, not clear if it's terrorist related or not.
    It's not on the BBC or Agence France Press (yet).
  • Options
    fitalass said:

SNP continue to side with EU over the UK... Just think Ed Miliband in Alex Salmond's pocket...

Let's party like it's 1957!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Did anyone see the Love Actually "sequel" on Comic Relief?!? Is it worth trying to track it down online?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes we CARE!
    It is certainly a huge boost to Obama's legacy
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/tax-reform-obamacare-repeal-replace-failure-236485
    "...this really would have worked out better if we could have had some Democrats' support", claims master negotiator Donald Trump.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Did anyone see the Love Actually "sequel" on Comic Relief?!? Is it worth trying to track it down online?

compared to the rest it was good but that's not a high bar. a sick Billy connelly appeal was petty moving along with Ed sheerans pieces. fair play to him.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, over on Twitter, the #IStandWithTomWatson movement, which appears to have been set up to support him in his hour of need, has disintegrated into low farce. Most of the comments are really ripping in to him. Some of the more reprintable comments are:
    1. #IStandWithTomWatson because it makes me look like a size 8
    2. I'd rather stand alone than #IStandWithTomWatson because he is a backstabbing liar who puts his own political ambitions above his party.
    3. #IstandwithTomWatson in the hope that he drops some of the £500,000 he trousered from Max Mosley...
    4. #IstandwithTomWatson by the exit door. Just to make sure he goes & I can shut it firmly after he's gone
    5. #IStandWithTomWatson in the dole queue by the end of next month.

• Options
    The last and best...#IstandwithTomWatson I #PrayForTomWatson. In fact, #JeSuisTomWatson
  • Options

Danny565 said:

compared to the rest it was good but that's not a high bar. a sick Billy connelly appeal was petty moving along with Ed sheerans pieces. fair play to him.
    I player the 1st comic relief episode shown 7pm to 10 pm and it was on at about 9:46.

It was pretty poor really. The only highlight was seeing kk as she's got a lovely smile
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Wow. Lol. Bye bye Lord H

Surely Germany are in their dominant position within Europe by dint of its people having worked hard over the past 70 years and also as a result of its economy having been excellently managed, compared with, say, our own.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    HYUFD said:

If we have to pay higher prices for French beef, Welsh farmers can fill in the gap

You know those big things with no wool but horns/udders? Them's called "cows". C-O-W-S. That's where "beef" and "milk" comes from.

You know those little woolly things that gambol around? Them's called "sheep". S-H-E-E-P. That's where "lamb" and "mutton" comes from.

Wales doesn't have that much in the way of flat bits. Welsh cyclists have thighs like condoms filled with walnuts. Wales does however have an absolute shitload of steep rainy bits covered in grass. Cows don't like slopes, on grounds of falling down and you do not want to get in the way. But sheep like it and can stay out in the cold and rain, because they have nice woolly coats and do gambolling like, um, lambs.

This is why Wales produces a lot of great lamb, and is less well known for beef.

If our Glorious Brexit Future involves paying more money for Welsh beef, English wine and Scottish bananas, we are in more trouble than I thought.

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    fitalass said:

SNP bad.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

I believe local press say its gang related
  • Options

Elli Mae O'Hagen really tying herself up in knots on the Sky News paper review to not blame the London attack on Islam. He's just a violent lone wolf with a history of violence towards women like many, many white men. It's disturbing that some people are so scared of causing offence that they'll forgive anything.

It really is rather strange isn't it.

I see a reporter in Canada at a paper I used to have respect for is saying our man was not actually a muslim.......

ok.................................
  • Options

Emily Thornberry??

Dear god - has it got that bad.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

You don't really read pb for 2 days and you find two prominent posters have been banned.
    who is the other one?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Plato's been banned? Her usefulness had lessened as the betting utility of alt-right pablum decreased post-POTUS2016, but there have been worse people. Why was she banned?
  • Options
    Floater said:

tlg86 said:

who is the other one?
    Mortimer. He arranged the not-PB Article 50 pub crawl and wankathon, but - whoops! - forgot to invite OGH. Mike smiled thinly. Comedy did not ensue.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    Looks like The PB Brexiteers are being taken out one by one like the opera scene in The Godfather!

Who's next? ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Looks like The PB Brexiteers are being taken out one by one like the opera scene in The Godfather!

Who's next? ;)

"Leave the betting slips. Take the cannolli"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Y0kel said:

Totally unrelated to anything else.

In Belarus the country called Europe's last dictatorship..and a proper one, with a ruler sporting a proper moustache, there are some very odd going ons. Over the coming days and weeks it may make interesting reading.

Can you elaborate?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2017
    fitalass said:

I think it's probably fair to assume that Juncker's evident deep dislike of David Cameron is fully reciprocated and probably then some. Iirc, it was Dave who did his damnedest in unsuccessfully attempting to prevent the former Luxembourg PM from climbing the greasiest of poles to become President of the EU Commission.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

You know those big things with no wool but horns/udders? Them's called "cows". C-O-W-S. That's where "beef" and "milk" comes from.

You know those little woolly things that gambol around? Them's called "sheep". S-H-E-E-P. That's where "lamb" and "mutton" comes from.

Wales doesn't have that much in the way of flat bits. Welsh cyclists have thighs like condoms filled with walnuts. Wales does however have an absolute shitload of steep rainy bits covered in grass. Cows don't like slopes, on grounds of falling down and you do not want to get in the way. But sheep like it and can stay out in the cold and rain, because they have nice woolly coats and do gambolling like, um, lambs.

This is why Wales produces a lot of great lamb, and is less well known for beef.

If our Glorious Brexit Future involves paying more money for Welsh beef, English wine and Scottish bananas, we are in more trouble than I thought.

Welsh Lamb, English beef, English wine, Scottish whisky all will be relatively cheaper for the UK consumer given the inevitable customs duties which will be placed on EU imports of food and drink, while becoming more expensive on the continent
  • Options

SeanT said:

Wow. Lol. Bye bye Lord H

Surely Germany are in their dominant position within Europe by dint of its people having worked hard over the past 70 years and also as a result of its economy having been excellently managed, compared with, say, our own.
    Germany also has the largest population in Europe, though the UK is catching up
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and makes Obama and Pelosi's achievement in getting Obamacare passed through Congress in the first place even more impressive
    https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/845428769653448705
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Welsh Lamb, English beef, English wine, Scottish whisky all will be relatively cheaper for the UK consumer given the inevitable customs duties which will be placed on EU imports of food and drink, while becoming more expensive on the continent
    "Relatively" cheaper is not the same as "actually" cheaper. If both sets of prices go up but one goes up more than another, that's not better, it's worse
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

"Relatively" cheaper is not the same as "actually" cheaper. If both sets of prices go up but one goes up more than another, that's not better, it's worse
    Not worse for the British farmer or vineyard owner or whisky distillery if they refocus on the domestic market
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Not worse for the British farmer or vineyard owner or whisky distillery if they refocus on the domestic market
    Because the British farmer and vineyard owner don't eat food?
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Fitalas

Trust in Scottish Gov 65%
    Trust in UK Gov 25%

and the Tory research dept is happy??
  • Options
    Our Glorious Brexit Future
    Local food will become more expensive
    But that's OK, because foreign stuff will be even more expensive.
    Because you don't need to eat, right?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

They produce it and of course if they improve their market share they get more profits
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Fitalas

Trust in Scottish Gov 65%
    Trust in UK Gov 25%

and the Tory research dept is happy??

With a comfortable No lead in Scotland and a big Tory lead in the UK of course it is
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    tlg86 said:

What's with all the banning? What did Plato do? What did Mortimer do?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

They produce it and of course if they improve their market share they get more profits
    Which they then have to spend on more expensive food and have less choice than before because the other stuff is even more expensive.

Making stuff more expensive does not make life better. It makes it worse.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

There is no reason UK food should become more expensive because of Brexit, it will not be affected by customs duties or currency fluctuations in terms of domestic sales so consumers will just need to buy more British produce
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue Brexit... I don't like to lose [bites apple].
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Which they then have to spend on more expensive food and have less choice than before because the other stuff is even more expensive.

Making stuff more expensive does not make life better. It makes it worse.
    As I said there is no reason British food should be more expensive in UK supermarkets post Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

There is no reason UK food should become more expensive because of Brexit, it will not be affected by customs duties or currency fluctuations in terms of domestic sales so consumers will just need to buy more British produce
    If you could make UK bananas cheaper than foreign bananas, we'd already be doing it. If the price of foreign bananas become prohibitively expensive then UK bananas fill the gap, but we have to divert resources from more productive things to do it (that's the definition of wealth destruction, by the way).

There's no finessing this: you make the prices of imports more expensive and trade more difficult, eventually the price of everything rises.

There was an argument in the 70's about "wealth illusion": the phenomenon that people feel richer if inflation makes their possessions worth more monetarily. Keith Joseph argued that it's a fallacy: eventually people cotton on that it's just the currency being worth less. This was accepted by Conservatives and was one of the cornerstones of Thatcher's first government. It's a lesson we have forgotten.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    HYUFD

These Trust in Government figures are as released yesterday from the Scottish social attitude survey which also showed independence as THE non binary popular choice at 46 per cent from 23 per cent in 2012.

It is much later than you think!
  • Options

viewcode said:

I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue Brexit... I don't like to lose [bites apple].
    If memory serves, a scene that was in both the Prime and Kelvin timelines (which is why Chris Pine has an apple in the 2009 Star Trek).

It worries me that I know this.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

If you could make UK bananas cheaper than foreign bananas, we'd already be doing it. If the price of foreign bananas become prohibitively expensive then UK bananas fill the gap, but we have to divert resources from more productive things to do it (that's the definition of wealth destruction, by the way).

There's no finessing this: you make the prices of imports more expensive and trade more difficult, eventually the price of everything rises.

There was an argument in the 70's about "wealth illusion": the phenomenon that people feel richer if inflation makes their possessions worth more monetarily. Keith Joseph argued that it's a fallacy: eventually people cotton on that it's just the currency being worth less. This was accepted by Conservatives and was one of the cornerstones of Thatcher's first government. It's a lesson we have forgotten.
    There are few EU bananas anyway, most EU food produce can be replaced by British alternatives. Given the EU will not compromise on immigration control and single market membership we will have to buy more British produce and it is manageable to do so
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

Not foreign stuff. Just food imported from the EU. Cheaper sources in Africa, Australia and South America exist, with whom we'll now be able to do deals without imposing the external tariff.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

HYUFD

These Trust in Government figures are as released yesterday from the Scottish social attitude survey which also showed independence as THE non binary popular choice at 46 per cent from 23 per cent in 2012.

It is much later than you think!

46% barely changed from the 45% it was in 2014 and indeed the latest yougov and Panelbase polls have No astonishingly HIGHER than it was in their final 2014 polls anyway. Plus of course the SNP got 45% in 2011 which was the real Yes base
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    viewcode said:

tlg86 said:

Plato's been banned? Her usefulness had lessened as the betting utility of alt-right pablum decreased post-POTUS2016, but there have been worse people. Why was she banned?
    What ? The Alt-Right queen is banned ? Life can never be the same again.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

Not foreign stuff. Just food imported from the EU. Cheaper sources in Africa, Australia and South America exist, with whom we'll now be able to do deals without imposing the external tariff.
    ...unfortunately our currency is now worth a lot less. So it will cost more money to buy this cheaper stuff, even disregarding the cost of transporting it longer distances. Still it's nice to know that when Irish meat becomes more expensive, we can import just as expensive meat from much further away. Whew. I was worried for a moment.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

...unfortunately our currency is now worth a lot less. So it will cost more money to buy this cheaper stuff, even disregarding the cost of transporting it longer distances. Still it's nice to know that when Irish meat becomes more expensive, we can import just as expensive meat from much further away. Whew. I was worried for a moment.
    You can buy more British meat instead as I said
This discussion has been closed.