Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don’t expect a Street Coronation in the West Midlands Mayoral

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

He was also at Cameron's side in 2014 and 2015 when he won
    I don't think Lynton and that guy from the US thought much to him though...
    Given Messina received 400 000 euro as a campaign adviser for Renzi's 2016 referendum campaign I don't think he is really one to lecture others on how to win referenda!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Messina_(political_staffer)
    Well you win some you lose some...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

viewcode said:

Regular readers may remember a television genre I dubbed "Shit Brexit Telly", where some minutae of Britain is examined each week by a minor sleb, and usually terminates with "...our wonderful British countryside" whilst the drone pans overhead and the sleb quaffs cider whilst staring at a white cliff. Examples I knew of at the time was that stupid villages thing with Penelope Keith and that really stupid railway thing with Michael Portillo.

Problem is, examples are beginning to pile up. Leaving aside the ones about canals (yes really) and underground cables/pipelines (yes, really really), I now find to my horror there exists a program called 'Rivers with Jeremy Paxman'.

Oh. My. God.

There has to be some kind of Shit Brexit Telly Generator, along the lines of [subnational British characteristic] with [media twit/luvvie/ex-pol]. Things like:

Lakes with David Dimbleby
    Great British Mountains with Bear Grylls
    Our Beautiful National Parks with Felicity Kendal
    Dogs! Crufts finalists with Paul O'Grady
    Antennae with Peter Snow
    Wonderful Wonderful British Flowers with Miranda Hart

If you can think of more examples of Shit Brexit Telly, real-life or not, please make them known.

Great English canal journeys with Timothy West & Prunella Scales
    Northamptonshire on five bob a day with Nick Owen

Great British Quarries with Sandi Toksvig.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,948
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Regular readers may remember a television genre I dubbed "Shit Brexit Telly", where some minutae of Britain is examined each week by a minor sleb, and usually terminates with "...our wonderful British countryside" whilst the drone pans overhead and the sleb quaffs cider whilst staring at a white cliff. Examples I knew of at the time was that stupid villages thing with Penelope Keith and that really stupid railway thing with Michael Portillo.

Problem is, examples are beginning to pile up. Leaving aside the ones about canals (yes really) and underground cables/pipelines (yes, really really), I now find to my horror there exists a program called 'Rivers with Jeremy Paxman'.

Oh. My. God.

There has to be some kind of Shit Brexit Telly Generator, along the lines of [subnational British characteristic] with [media twit/luvvie/ex-pol]. Things like:

Antennae with Peter Snow

If you can think of more examples of Shit Brexit Telly, real-life or not, please make them known.

Inner City Sumo with Alan Partridge.
    Monkey Tenn...oh, wait... :(
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    FPT Cyan regarding the electronic devices ban.

Its a fair punt they have either signals, human or both intelligence of fair detail regarding both methodology & execution details of an attack being considered. Best guess is that this isn't just a new method but also a cluster of rapid fire incidents scenario.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

HYUFD said:

Liberal by name, liberal by nature (now we know how Mark Senior is occupying his evenings!)
    https://twitter.com/LeedsNWLibDems/status/844315718795644928

No blue tick, is that legit?
    Well it says it is 'the official twitter account of Leeds NW LDs' and has 602 followers even if it is presently blue tickless

https://twitter.com/LeedsNWLibDems
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    A history of revolutionary North London allotments with Jeremy Corbyn
    Corbyn on jam
    We'll do anything to be on telly with Paul Ross and Keith Chegwin
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,396
    Great British Political Blogs with Mike Smithson

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984
    BBC1 now The Grindr Killer
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Liberal by name, liberal by nature (now we know how Mark Senior is occupying his evenings!)

Someone's been hacked...
    Seems so
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well it says it is 'the official twitter account of Leeds NW LDs' and has 602 followers even if it is presently blue tickless

I think it is genuine.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys

Apparently it doesn't work unless you have a stripey blazer for the Full Portillo.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

He was also at Cameron's side in 2014 and 2015 when he won
    I don't think Lynton and that guy from the US thought much to him though...
    Given Messina received 400 000 euro as a campaign adviser for Renzi's 2016 referendum campaign I don't think he is really one to lecture others on how to win referenda!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Messina_(political_staffer)
    Well you win some you lose some...
    But still almost half a million richer!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

Apparently it doesn't work unless you have a stripey blazer for the Full Portillo.
    The Portillo railway show is great! I'm hurt someone dislikes it
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    viewcode said:

Fry's Fry's Fried: Stephen Fry visits chip shops nationwide that fry Cadbury's Creme Eggs (this is a real thing). The fryer explains to Fry each week what a chip is. Each program ends with Fry holding a portion of chips whilst staring into the sunset and sussurating "Britain, Britain, Britain..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35GVB_2xmk
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

It's a pity Tony Marlow isn't around to present it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TRADING BLOWS Theresa May is ‘ready to slap tariffs’ on goods from the EU as she plans new law to take back control of trade policy

New deal will send a message to European leaders that the PM will walk away from talks without a new UK-EU trade deal

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3145643/theresa-may-tariffs-on-goods-from-eu/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think it is genuine.
    Obviously taking their Focuses and barcharts in a whole new direction!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think it is genuine.
    https://twitter.com/LeedsNWLibDems/status/844321473481379840
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    viewcode said:

But one of the principles of Christianity (even the semi-Pagan variant known as Catholicism) is Redemption. Without Redemption we are all doomed (atheists excepted, obviously).

No redemption without confession of sins, sincere contrition and attempt to make restitution. And atheists don't go to heaven: good works and a sinless life are not enough, there must also be belief in God. This is why deathbed confessions and conversions are a *really* good idea.

Leaving it till one's deathbed is a risky strategy. None of us is party to MMcG's confession so we only have his public life to go by. He 'buried the hatchet' and sought peace - that's all. It does't excuse anything, but it makes him a better person than he would otherwise have been. My point about Norman Tebbit (with whom I have immense sympathy and broad political agreement) is that he invoked Christianity to damn McG. This is not how Christianity works.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

TRADING BLOWS Theresa May is ‘ready to slap tariffs’ on goods from the EU as she plans new law to take back control of trade policy

New deal will send a message to European leaders that the PM will walk away from talks without a new UK-EU trade deal

Did anyone expect us not to ?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    HYUFD said:

Sounds like another lost deposit coming up...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

Not stripey, silly - it has to be pastel-coloured!
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

We shall have to politely disagree. I can't watch it without sticking my fist down my throat and tearing my own stomach lining out.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

I love it too, of course! Regarding England, only have Cumbria/north Lancs, Teeside, bits of East Riding, bits of Lincolnshire, bits of the Welsh borders, western Devon, and Cornwall left to do :)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

It's amazing how so many Brexiteers managed to see (rightly) how insulting the Obama "back of the queue" comments were to Brits, yet don't see by the very same logic how insulting this kind of sabre-rattling is to other EU countries.
  • Options
    Re: the telly thing. Private Eye once suggested "The Kitchens and Lichens of Lutyens"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It's amazing how so many Brexiteers managed to see (rightly) how insulting the Obama "back of the queue" comments were to Brits, yet don't see by the very same logic how insulting this kind of sabre-rattling is to other EU countries.
    Um, probably because Brexiteers ARE Brits?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

We shall have to politely disagree. I can't watch it without sticking my fist down my throat and tearing my own stomach lining out.
    Evening, Bulgy :)
  • Options

viewcode said:

But one of the principles of Christianity (even the semi-Pagan variant known as Catholicism) is Redemption. Without Redemption we are all doomed (atheists excepted, obviously).

No redemption without confession of sins, sincere contrition and attempt to make restitution. And atheists don't go to heaven: good works and a sinless life are not enough, there must also be belief in God. This is why deathbed confessions and conversions are a *really* good idea.

Leaving it till one's deathbed is a risky strategy. None of us is party to MMcG's confession so we only have his public life to go by. He 'buried the hatchet' and sought peace - that's all. It does't excuse anything, but it makes him a better person than he would otherwise have been. My point about Norman Tebbit (with whom I have immense sympathy and broad political agreement) is that he invoked Christianity to damn McG. This is not how Christianity works.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    Come Home to Faggots. A celebration of British food with Little and Large.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

From memory, he did do the yellow blazer/red trousers thing once.
    Death's too good for him... :)
  • Options

Re: the telly thing. Private Eye once suggested "The Kitchens and Lichens of Lutyens"

:)
  • Options
    Presumably someone has already done B Roads on a Penny Farthing.....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2017

Danny565 said:

But we're about to go into talks with EU countries. The logic seems to be that these threats will incentivise the EU to give us a good deal, by showing them how supposedly bad their situation will be if they don't do as we want - but that was exactly the kind of logic behind Obama and the like's "interventions" during the referendum. The likelihood is that the Europeans will react to what they perceive as British threats, in the exact same way as Brits reacted to perceived Obama/EU threats during the referendum - i.e. with a big "f**k you" anger at the idea of attempts at blackmail.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Looking forward to the 24 part Nigel Farage biopic 'Ego'

Roy Chubby Brown in the lead role and Trump playing himself.
  • Options

viewcode said:

?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

• Options

Robbie Coltrane - but in car :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robbie-Coltranes-B-Road-Britain-Complete/dp/B000TQLITW
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    For those considering betting on the Conservatives in the West Midlands the votes by party in the local elections last May were

Lab 272,951
    Con 163,537
    LDem 42,945
    UKIP 59,774
    Green 31,330
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sounds like another lost deposit coming up...
    Perhaps not the message floating voters were expecting in a key LD target, no
  • Options
    glw said:

viewcode said:

Fry's Fry's Fried: Stephen Fry visits chip shops nationwide that fry Cadbury's Creme Eggs (this is a real thing). The fryer explains to Fry each week what a chip is. Each program ends with Fry holding a portion of chips whilst staring into the sunset and sussurating "Britain, Britain, Britain..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35GVB_2xmk
    My God, I'd forgotten!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Oh. My. God.

Antennae with Peter Snow

From memory, he did do the yellow blazer/red trousers thing once.
    Death's too good for him... :)
    Evening, Bulgy!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Danny565 said:

Completely different. Obama was patronising, he was coming over here telling us how to run our country (without actually living here).

Sure, sabre rattling may or may not be a good idea, but unconvinced on the comparison.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Fillon has been hit with a triple whammy today:

* the allegation that he trousered $54K to fix a meeting between a Lebanese billionaire and Putin

* the extension of the judicial investigation's remit to cover allegations of aggravated fraud and forgery

* the resignation of interior minister Bruno Le Roux, who paid his daughters parliamentary money for work they did while they were still students (Fillon made similar payments to his own children when they were students too)

What on earth happens if Fillon withdraws? :innocent face:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Horrendous Hovels & Surburban Simpletons w Matthew Parris
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Dixie said:

as Chancellor could he be that wrong? Recessions don't happen overnight. he lied

Eh? Do you know anyone - literally anyone in the world - who can or ever has been able to predict the timing of recessions?
  • Options

Hairy Bikers? Two Fat Ladies? Damn, it's too close to the truth.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Dixie said:

as Chancellor could he be that wrong? Recessions don't happen overnight. he lied

Eh? Do you know anyone - literally anyone in the world - who can or ever has been able to predict the timing of recessions?
    Vince Cable. Six out of the last two......
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

That one will probably get made.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Fillon has been hit with a triple whammy today:

* the allegation that he trousered $54K to fix a meeting between a Lebanese billionaire and Putin

* the extension of the judicial investigation's remit to cover allegations of aggravated fraud and forgery

* the resignation of interior minister Bruno Le Roux, who paid his daughters parliamentary money for work they did while they were still students (Fillon made similar payments to his own children when they were students too)

What on earth happens if Fillon withdraws? :innocent face:

Given how stubborn he has been so far even if they locked him in the Bastille and threw away the key I expect Fillon would still insist his name was on the ballot
  • Options
    edited March 2017

That David Goodhart article is superb.

It is very good, not least because it reads very much (apart from the autobiographical bits!) like Maggie's oft-misquoted 'no such thing as society' interview.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

I'm increasingly convinced that Theresa May's nemesis is her deep need to prove that she's a better negotiator than David Cameron.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987

I'm increasingly convinced that Theresa May's nemesis is her deep need to prove that she's a better negotiator than David Cameron.
    Considering Cameron's deal, not too much to ask.. :smiley:
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    All this highbrow documentary stuff is all well and good for you BBC4 watching types but what about the common man and woman? Sport, we need more sport.

Celebrity Crocodile Baiting for Sports Relief

Crazy Golf - Live!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Famously, the pilot episode was not well received...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

?
    [sigh]

Didn't you get the Thomas the Tank Engine reference?

Bulgy the Bus wanted to rip up the railways and turn them into roads!

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Bulgy
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Then when the moment came, in the Dynasty Grande hotel in Bangkok, in late January, I typed the first sentence: "The dead birds are neatly arranged in a row."

That's a jolly good first sentence.

Let me know if you need any help with the ending.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

?
    [sigh]

I must confess my knowledge of Thomas the Tank Engine is not what it should be...
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

All this highbrow documentary stuff is all well and good for you BBC4 watching types but what about the common man and woman? Sport, we need more sport.

Crazy Golf - Live!

Bowls! With Fred Truman!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,776
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

But we're about to go into talks with EU countries. The logic seems to be that these threats will incentivise the EU to give us a good deal, by showing them how supposedly bad their situation will be if they don't do as we want - but that was exactly the kind of logic behind Obama and the like's "interventions" during the referendum. The likelihood is that the Europeans will react to what they perceive as British threats, in the exact same way as Brits reacted to perceived Obama/EU threats during the referendum - i.e. with a big "f**k you" anger at the idea of attempts at blackmail.
    It's ABYSMAL negotiating tactics. Our EU partners are somewhat irritated with us. Most importantly they are indifferent to whatever deal we might offer. That's because the EU has a raft of issues. Getting a good deal with the UK isn't on that list, rightly or wrongly. The only way we're going to get their attention is if we make life easier for them (in the context of Brexit making things more difficult) or we offer something over and and above what they had already.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

?
    [sigh]

I must confess my knowledge of Thomas the Tank Engine is not what it should be...
    The scatological references are legendary!

"Poop, poop!" whistled Gordon

:open_mouth:
  • Options

SeanT said:

Then when the moment came, in the Dynasty Grande hotel in Bangkok, in late January, I typed the first sentence: "The dead birds are neatly arranged in a row."

"...and then the planet exploded."
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Y0kel said:

Crazy Golf - Live!

Pro-Am Celebrity Badger Baiting with Noel Edmonds.

Or perhaps that should be Pro-Am Celebrity Bungie Jumping.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

You have just made me do the Nose Trick with a up of coffee all over my new laptop!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Crazy Golf - Live!

Bowls! With Fred Truman!
    Have you ever seen Fred's tv show from the 1970's -The indoor league,that was classic tv ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

For those considering betting on the Conservatives in the West Midlands the votes by party in the local elections last May were

Lab 272,951
    Con 163,537
    LDem 42,945
    UKIP 59,774
    Green 31,330

What were the general election votes?
  • Options
    This Grindr killer programme on BBC1 is unreal. The police incompetence beggars belief
  • Options

viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

You have just made me do the Nose Trick with a up of coffee all over my new laptop!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Almost certainly now there will be tariffs or customs duties on most EU goods and services coming to the UK and most UK goods and services going to the EU given May is taking us out of the single market to introduce work permits for EU workers and the EU is in no mood to rush a free trade deal for us, probably we will get some bilateral agreements in a few key areas like financial services and car manufacturing in return for some limited continued EU budget contributions
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Crazy Golf - Live!

Bowls! With Fred Truman!
    Have you ever seen Fred's tv show from the 1970's -The indoor league,that was classic tv ;-)
    Next week the final of the Shove Ha'penny.

I'll see thee
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

It's ABYSMAL negotiating tactics. Our EU partners are somewhat irritated with us. Most importantly they are indifferent to whatever deal we might offer. That's because the EU has a raft of issues. Getting a good deal with the UK isn't on that list, rightly or wrongly. The only way we're going to get their attention is if we make life easier for them (in the context of Brexit making things more difficult) or we offer something over and and above what they had already.

Not at all. What we need to do is help them see that their own interests are to give us a good deal, in return for which - and this is the crucial step which commentators both in the UK and on the continent don't seem to be able to get their heads around - we will give them a good deal.

In principle, they shouldn't need much persuading, by their own logic, repeated this very day:

"The EU is open for business," European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Tuesday, before heading into a meeting convened to push for a swift conclusion of a free trade agreement between Japan and the EU by the end of this year.

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/1st-leadeu-open-for-business-leaders-say-as-japans-pm-pushes-trade-dealby-naveena-kottoor-dpa_527631.html

“This agreement is necessary. It is necessary because we believe in free, fair and rules-based trade.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-21/eu-japan-trade-talks-at-decisive-stage-as-trump-gives-impetus

In what conceivable world does it make sense for the EU to be really keen on a free trade deal with Japan, on the other side of the world, but not with the UK, the world's fifth-largest economy, which is right on their doorstep, is already 100% compatible in terms of regulatory issues, and with which they have a huge trade surplus?

Of course, sense might not trump politics. But that is the line we should be shooting.
  • Options
    OUT said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Crazy Golf - Live!

Bowls! With Fred Truman!

I'll see thee
    Lol
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

Considering Cameron's deal, not too much to ask.. :smiley:
    A very very low bar indeed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

FF43 said:

Not at all. What we need to do is help them see that their own interests are to give us a good deal, in return for which - and this is the crucial step which commentators both in the UK and on the continent don't seem to be able to get their heads around - we will give them a good deal.

In principle, they shouldn't need much persuading, by their own logic, repeated this very day:

"The EU is open for business," European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Tuesday, before heading into a meeting convened to push for a swift conclusion of a free trade agreement between Japan and the EU by the end of this year.

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/1st-leadeu-open-for-business-leaders-say-as-japans-pm-pushes-trade-dealby-naveena-kottoor-dpa_527631.html

“This agreement is necessary. It is necessary because we believe in free, fair and rules-based trade.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-21/eu-japan-trade-talks-at-decisive-stage-as-trump-gives-impetus

In what conceivable world does it make sense for the EU to be really keen on a free trade deal with Japan, on the other side of the world, but not with the UK, the world's fifth-largest economy, which is right on their doorstep, is already 100% compatible in terms of regulatory issues, and with which they have a huge trade surplus?

Of course, sense might not trump politics. But that is the line we should be shooting.
    Especially as the UK will be the EU's largest single export market and Japan is not even in the top 5
    https://fullfact.org/europe/where-does-eu-export/
  • Options

In the world where the UK already has a far better deal and is intent on throwing it away and threatening tariffs.

The UK government has forfeited any right to speak for the people of the whole of the UK and deserves every minute humiliation it has coming.
  • Options

In the world where the UK already has a far better deal and is intent on throwing it away and threatening tariffs.

The UK government has forfeited any right to speak for the people of the whole of the UK and deserves every minute humiliation it has coming.
    It speaks for far more people than you do.
  • Options

The UK government speaks for the 17 million who want to regain control of their borders which the EU has refused to compromise on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The UK is not 'threatening tariffs'. Quite the opposite, the UK government has made it 100% clear that it wants a deal with zero tariffs and as few non-tariff barriers as possible. All it has said it that it might have to plan for the worst case in which the EU27 create unreasonable difficulties, such as demanding a ludicrously high exit payment or refusing to discuss the package as a whole.

There is no getting away from the fact that the ball is in the EU's court on this. They can have a comprehensive free trade agreement with the UK if they want. Or not, if they want to damage themselves in the hope of damaging us.

It's either a win-win, or a lose-lose. There is no scenario which is a win for one side and a lose for the other, whatever the more excitable elements both in the UK and in the EU27 may think.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Cyclefree said:

Completely O/T and apologies in advance but on the Irish question:

Sometimes you have to do deals with bad people and McGuinness – eventually – played his part in trying to sort out the mess he created. But let's not imagine virtues that did not exist. Whatever he did in the peace process did not involve saying sorry for what the IRA did. Nor did it involve justice for the dead and wounded and the widows and widowers and orphans and all those deprived of people they loved. They should not be forgotten, today of all days.

Making this simple point somehow seems controversial. As if it is somehow not done to look past the cheery smile. All that killing and pain. And for what? A NI still in the UK and what has been achieved could have been achieved decades ago if the men of peace had been as celebrated and fawned over and supported as much as the men of violence.

We live in a meritocracy where people with no experience or knowledge whatsoever can be appointed to senior jobs and where any notion that man is a moral animal and can make a choice between good and evil and be held accountable for his/her choices is seen as something quaintly old-fashioned if not downright perverse.

There. I have got that off my chest.

Sorry.

Off to have my dinner now.

Well said.
  • Options
    OUT said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Crazy Golf - Live!

Bowls! With Fred Truman!

I'll see thee
    Dammit, you got there before I did.

First one to mention "Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt!" wins...
  • Options
    Corbyn's message on the UN International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/844337847649763328
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

It's fair to say Norman Tebbit remains a man not given to the mincing of words.

https://twitter.com/WelshToy/status/844116976121384960

John Kerry rather more gushing in his tribute
    https://www.facebook.com/johnkerry/posts/10154190356892294
    Pass the sick bag.
    I normally agree with you, and Norman Tebbit's opinion is entirely and utterly understandable, but hmmm. I do think Martin McGuinness showed a degree of personal courage in driving Republicanism towards peace. If he WAS a British double agent (which I seriously doubt) this is even more the case, paradoxically.

I am sure McGuinness personally murdered - or personally ordered the murder - of innocent people in his youth. But so did Winston Churchill. So does every prime minister or president who authorises bombing.

On the day of his death, I'll honour the passing of Martin McGuinness. It is complex. And every man's death diminishes me.
    I very much agree with those sentiments. Tony Blair was responsible for the deaths of more innocent people than McGuinness.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

It's either a win-win, or a lose-lose. There is no scenario which is a win for one side and a lose for the other, whatever the more excitable elements both in the UK and in the EU27 may think.
    It depends whether you're talking about politics or economics. If you're talking about economics, the win-win is to carry on as we are, and if we're talking politics, then the win-lose is to carry on as we are (with Brexit as the loser).

There is no scenario which is a win in both the politics and the economics columns for Brexit UK.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn's message on the UN International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/844337847649763328

"Hitler was a Zionist, before he went a bit OTT."
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    In the mid-1990s we were allowed to carry a birthday helium balloon onto a flight from the USA to the UK. It was stored in the overhead compartment. Amazing to think that was deemed acceptable, unremarkable, a relatively short time ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

It depends whether you're talking about politics or economics. If you're talking about economics, the win-win is to carry on as we are, and if we're talking politics, then the win-lose is to carry on as we are (with Brexit as the loser).

There is no scenario which is a win in both the politics and the economics columns for Brexit UK.
    The win is to impose the border controls Blair failed to do, even if only from 2019 until 2025 and a Labour government, perhaps, returns us to the EEA that would almost match the 7 year work permit controls Germany had from 2004-2011
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974

I know you are not happy with how things have gone down the last year, and I cannot say May's been as good as I had hoped, but what are you talking about? Who else is able to speak for the whole of the UK if not the government of the UK?

Economically and long term politically it would be great if humiliation was to be avoided for both sides in this, but there will be calls on both sides to humiliate the other which will need to be overcome. You seem downright eager for humiliation to occur!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    kle4 said:

I know you are not happy with how things have gone down the last year, and I cannot say May's been as good as I had hoped, but what are you talking about? Who else is able to speak for the whole of the UK if not the government of the UK?

Economically and long term politically it would be great if humiliation was to be avoided for both sides in this, but there will be calls on both sides to humiliate the other which will need to be overcome. You seem downright eager for humiliation to occur!
    I am hoping for peak williamglenn at some point..... :smiley:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

We weren't going into negotiations with America, we were in a middle of a domestic election.

The apt comparison for what Obama did would be if May went to Paris and declared that the future of the Entente Cordiale depended Upon Fillon getting elected.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Lose - Lose is politically preferable for both sides.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Not sure if already posted but Labour Party membership will soon be 71,000 below the peak under Corbyn.

July 2016 - 554,000
    December 2016 - 528,000

But 40,000 are now in arrears - number up to date with payments is only 483,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/21/labour-membership-expected-to-fall-below-half-a-million

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    MikeL said:

Not sure if already posted but Labour Party membership will soon be 71,000 below the peak under Corbyn.

July 2016 - 554,000
    December 2016 - 528,000

But 40,000 are now in arrears - number up to date with payments is only 483,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/21/labour-membership-expected-to-fall-below-half-a-million

Do we know what the current SNP membership is after their post 2014 Indy Ref spike?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    MikeL said:

July 2016 - 554,000
    December 2016 - 528,000

When you say ONLY 483,000, do you mean five times larger than the Conservatives or Lib Dems?

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

It's fair to say Norman Tebbit remains a man not given to the mincing of words.

https://twitter.com/WelshToy/status/844116976121384960

John Kerry rather more gushing in his tribute
    https://www.facebook.com/johnkerry/posts/10154190356892294
    Pass the sick bag.
    I normally agree with you, and Norman Tebbit's opinion is entirely and utterly understandable, but hmmm. I do think Martin McGuinness showed a degree of personal courage in driving Republicanism towards peace. If he WAS a British double agent (which I seriously doubt) this is even more the case, paradoxically.

I am sure McGuinness personally murdered - or personally ordered the murder - of innocent people in his youth. But so did Winston Churchill. So does every prime minister or president who authorises bombing.

On the day of his death, I'll honour the passing of Martin McGuinness. It is complex. And every man's death diminishes me.
    I very much agree with those sentiments. Tony Blair was responsible for the deaths of more innocent people than McGuinness.
    Yes, but Tony Blair was responsible for 600,000 Iraqi deaths.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Test
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pro-Am Celebrity Badger Baiting with Noel Edmonds.

Or perhaps that should be Pro-Am Celebrity Bungie Jumping.

Damn, I didn't get the reference... :(
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Great English canal journeys with Timothy West & Prunella Scales
    Northamptonshire on five bob a day with Nick Owen

Ah, I see what you did there... :)

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I certainly will, because I am writing the last sentence, tomorrow. A brief 1000 word, final chapter epilogue is required, and shall be written, when I wake up. I will call upon your inestimable talents! If required.
    "And that's how the dead birds came to be neatly arranged in a row. The End"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    fitalass said:

MikeL said:

July 2016 - 554,000
    December 2016 - 528,000

Do we know what the current SNP membership is after their post 2014 Indy Ref spike?
    According to the latest available estimates from political parties’ head offices, press releases and media estimates
    • The Labour Party has around 528,000 members, as of March 2017.
    • The Conservative Party had 149,800 members as of December 2013, the latest available estimate published by CCHQ.
    • The Scottish National Party has around 120,000 members, as of July 2016.
    • The Liberal Democrat Party has 82,000 members, as of February 2017.
    • The Green Party (England and Wales) has 55,500 members, as of July 2016.
    • UKIP has around 39,000 members, as of July 2016.
    • The Plaid Cymru has 8,273 members, as of July 2016.

http://tinyurl.com/krb2vnt
This discussion has been closed.