Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : March 16th 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

For SeanT:

That's awful. Truly awful. Wondrously, hideously, brilliantly awful.

The only question is whether you intended it to be ...

But writing about sex is odd at the best of times. Would you do the same for someone going to the toilet?

"He glanced at the bowl. Armitage shanks. Who was Armitage, he wondered. But Armitage was here now, ready to be defiled. Wanting to be defiled. Like a priest who had sinned, knowing the confessional flush would cleanse him. A dirty act, then a cleansing, ready to be soiled once more. It was so easy for Armitage; the pull of a lever and it'd be clean. But he knew however long he sat, however much he expunged himself, he'd never truly be clean. There was not a cistern big enough to cleanse him."

I'll get my coat.

That's not bad.

For something being deliberately bad.

I am not sure whether that makes it the good kind of bad or the bad kind of bad, though.
    Thanks. I think. :)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited March 2017
    Wonder how many Unionists will temporarily pretend Goggsy's a genius this time round.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/842891817586769920
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Wonder how many Unionists will temporarily pretend Goggsy's a genius this time round.

Is it really 90p for that pish?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,025

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I know, I look so young in that photo. The weird thing is, I was clean of heroin for about.... a week... before that prize giving!

So in terms of ageing, I blame the heroin. I should never have stopped. If I'd carried on, I'd now look about 23.

Your old addiction highlights your problem. Your existence is essentially futile (*) You make a very healthy living y great insights or help to the readers' existence; you just provide a few hours of modest entertainment.

But take my surgeon. He took a young man who suffered bouts of intense pain, and who often could hardly walk, and fixed him. Fifteen months after the last operation I was walking the Pennine Way. A couple of years after that I was walking thousands of miles. He *changed* my life. And I was just one of hundreds, possibly thousands, of people he helped, from presidents to plebs like me.

You get very handsomely rewarded, but it is essentially meaningless. If you;re looking at the value you give people, then Dr Sox (as one example) probably deserves far more reward than you.

Yet that is the unfairness of life. Rewards are out of proportion to deeds. (**)

(*) as is mine, to a certain extent.
    (**) That also applies to me. No-one's ever looked at a digital radio and thought; "My God, I'm a better person for listening to that!"
    When you are older and wiser, like me, you will understand the incredible value of providing "a few hours modest entertainment".

The ability to make a human lose themselves, and their worries, in an absorbing and enjoyable story - in TV, drama, fiction, movies- is very rare, and it is much desired. And this is why it is "overpaid". Lots of people can fix an ankle. Not everyone can make you actually forget your intrinsic sadness, for an afternoon, or maybe even a weekend.
    You may be older, but you'll only be wiser than me when you can implement RFC 821 ... ;)

There are many ways of providing incredible value. I enjoy your books (although reading one whilst camping freaked me out a little), but I read many books a year. The enjoyment is pleasant, but fleeting.

The point is that *lots* of people could not fix an ankle. Some tried and failed. He succeeded. Don't underestimate the value of a craftsman. You can craft words. He could craft health. Which is more valuable?

Oh, and I don't have an 'intrinsic sadness'. If I did, I might have wasted much of my life addicted to drugs instead of endlessly and pointlessly walking. Oh, hang on ... :)
    Fixing An Ankle Is Of MoRe Immediate Practical Value, But SomeOne Who Can Craft A Story or idea Which MoveS People In deep ways, can have vast value and negatives or, in some case hundreds of years or more.

GodDamn phone capitalising strangely again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Gordon Brown back from the dead...Perhaps the Daily Record might make him editor?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    OUT said:

Is it really 90p for that pish?
    No, Gordon's doing it for free!

Here all week etc.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

Frustrating that there's no link to tables. I can't find anything on google/orb's website either.

Anyway, if those %'ages are all voters (and not just brexit voters) then the union really is dead.

Goodbye UK. Goodbye Britain.

(sell sterling)

(buy arms shares)
    Nope, not when Mori tonight is showing Scots too put immigration control as their number 1 priority
    You really shouldn't spin a Scottish sub-sample as a full Scottish poll.
    There have been other polls by other pollsters which also show Scots put immigration control first and given we had a Yougov poll this week with a 14% lead for No in any indyref2 it seems to be in line with the trend
    And last week we had an Ipsos Mori Scottish poll that showed Independence winning/neck and neck.

Odd you chose to ignore that poll, and the other poll from this week which showed the 14% lead was an outlier.
    A table for you

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#line
    Thinks Scotland article by Murdo Fraser MSP - The day Theresa May spoke for Scotland
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136
    Apparently Gordon Brown's third way involves giving Scotland the power to sign its own treaties with Europe. How that is compatible with anything short of full independence I do not know.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,973

I appear to have mistyped the URL...this doesn't appear to be politicialbetting.com

I have oftentimes referred to PB as www.BrexiteersWanking.com
    I didn't expect people to take me that literally... :)
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    The vow2
    Don't open the box Darling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkUSxPwdt8w
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,973
    OUT said:

Don't open the box Darling.

Not a good idea to have competitive "what's in the box" postings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xG5hSOMGn0
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    New thread!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Indeed. The move in Scotland is, if anything, from YES to Don't Know. The (slight) unionist majority remains as solid as ever.

The unionists in Scotland had everything thrown at them in the indygasm of 2014, they voted NO, nonetheless. Because (as polls show) most of them are at heart Brits, they feel British, and want to stick with Britain. They are also better educated and older, and therefore, one suspects, more set in their ways/convinced of their rightness

The YES vote is much younger, less well educated, less convinced, and more volatile. The fact the SNP has been veering madly between: stay in the EU, leave the EU but rejoin at once, leave the EU but maybe rejoin after another vote, no, leave the EU like England, Wales and NI but join EFTA. Or maybe EEA? All this will have unnerved them.

Hence the understandable move to Don't Know. YES voters haven't got a clue where the SNP now stands vis-a-vis the central question, Europe. They literally Don't Know.

And despite Sturgeon's PR stunt on Monday, none of us are any the wiser to where the SNP stand on vital issues like currency, public finances or EU membership etc in an Independent Scotland.

Interesting to see that both Joanna Cherry and John Nicolson tried to avoid moving away from the grudge and grievance politics surrounding who decides the timing of a second referendum when appearing on QuestionTime and This Week on Thursday night. And both tried to shut down and kick any detailed discussion of the most important issues that would dominate another Indy Ref campaign into the long grass of this Andrew Wilson Commission on economic policy. So after three days of full blown nationalist rhetoric from Sturgeon and her MPs/MSPs towards the UK government on Brexit, the words 'wait and see' and 'watch this space' on the details of their alternative 'plan' shows just what an ill advised and self serving political stunt Monday's announcement was in the run up to the SNP Conference this weekend.

It amazes me that some people assume that the SNP just have to wave the threat of another Indy Ref at Westminster and that some how points to clever political strategy and tactics. Its neither when you have been pressured into making the announcement on a flimsy pretext, and very much against the tide of public opinion because a political window of opportunity is fast closing.

What a contrast in the SNP's demeanor in the run up to the last Indy Ref compared with that of today in the run up to Monday's demand to call another referendum. The SNP's biggest political nightmare would be for the Westminster Government to flex its muscles and deliver a good Brexit deal that strengthens the future economy of the whole UK while they are left begging for a way back into the EU, and with no game changing answers to the issues of a Scottish currency and the public finances that would avoid their own seismic economic hard shock exit from the UK.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Need some advice here. Which is the best mobile company in Spain to get a pay as you go data card for a spare mobile phone. I have a spare mobile so data is more important than minutes. Ideally looking for something where I can make a one off payment in cash. Do not any of the blighters taking monthly payments from my bank card.

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in anticipation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Need some advice here. Which is the best mobile company in Spain to get a pay as you go data card for a spare mobile phone. I have a spare mobile so data is more important than minutes. Ideally looking for something where I can make a one off payment in cash. Do not any of the blighters taking monthly payments from my bank card.

May want to post that on the new thread in case people don't see it here...
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    RobD said:

May want to post that on the new thread in case people don't see it here...
    You will get to the new thread well before I do. :lol:
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Sean T

The trouble with your Indy poll table is that it takes a YouGov poll (excluding 16-17 year olds) as last rather than the Survation poll (including 16-17 year olds) which was released two hours afterwords! Put them the other way round and you get a different graphical impression.

Truth is anyone who relies on one poll on this site to make a point is posting nonsense. Take the average of the last 20 (at 47 per cent) or something serious like the social attitude survey.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Sean T

Catching up on your posts I would like to tell you to stick to the sex and give up the politics - but I can't!

I don't suppose giving up both is an option?

This discussion has been closed.