Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview : Three CON defences and a

Comments

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Danny565 said:
    Shows that Tories can fail too. Labour won't die
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

In 65 years following football I have never seen a relay passing a banana onto the field of play for a player to eat to boost his energy

That suggests you have seen it now. Why is it allowed under the rules?
    I dont know to be honest
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Mr. Bojabob, so, because your side lost a vote you no longer love a country that previously you did?

That's rather sad. Sadder still that you feel as much (or more) loyalty to foreigners than your own people.

Mr. Nabavi, indeed, and I wish those who keep raising stupid little regional assemblies in England would learn that lesson and not make an even worse error of judgement.

Although a centrist in political terms I'm an atheist and oppose the idea of an hereditary head of state.a patriot I would have to subscribe to "God Save the Queen" so in all honesty I can't consider myself a patriot either - the concept has pretty much been appropriated by English right -wingers in the UK.
    Monarchism is a right-wing thing. Personally I avoid calling Britain the "UK". The UK is a political regime. Britain is a country. Calling Britain "the UK" is like calling France "the fifth Republic". I am English and British but I am not a "UK-er", other than that's the monarchist crap that's written on my passport.
    Britain is not and never has been a country.
    What's your reason is.
    Richard is completely right I think. However I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'.

No you aren't, Britain is no more a country than North America is, it's the name of a piece of land. And Great is a purely geographical qualifier to distinguish it from the other Britain, aka Brittany.
    I'm sorry but I stand by my statement, and will always stand by it.

'Great Britain' is my country whether you like it or not, and I suspect that's true for others.

I've already said that there may be some grounds to dismiss this label, and you have quite fairly done so. However you'd be in a very unwise place indeed though if you dismissed my and others identification with a country (fictitious or otherwise) called Great Britain.
    I live in hope that at some point in the not too distant future your fictitious identification will be proven once and for all when the State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ceases to exist and what remains are the existing Countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    By definition there will never be an independent country of Northern Ireland, the Unionists by their very nature want to preserve the Union and the nationalists to unite with the Republic while even if Scotland went there is next to zero chance Leave voting Wales will and the UK will still keep the name even minus the Scots
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

We like on here to discuss about how top gear has gone down the tubes ....It appears ch4 wants to outdo that with GBBO...

After months of speculation, Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig were confirmed as the new hosts of The Great British Bake Off on Thursday. The trio will join expert new judge Prue Leith, as well as show stalwart Paul Hollywood, when the series returns to screens later this year on Channel 4.

They should have just gone the whole hog and got wussely brand.

Are Fielding and Toksvig an appetite suppressing trio or duo ? Nauseating in any case.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

We like on here to discuss about how top gear has gone down the tubes ....It appears ch4 wants to outdo that with GBBO...

After months of speculation, Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig were confirmed as the new hosts of The Great British Bake Off on Thursday. The trio will join expert new judge Prue Leith, as well as show stalwart Paul Hollywood, when the series returns to screens later this year on Channel 4.

Speaking of Top Gear- we had the first of the new series on Sunday evening. It took me 3 days to wade through it and Extra Gear. Matt is Matt, and would fit in with most folks. Harris is just too straight and earnest and Reid is just a cuddly irritating teeneager.

Did I miss The Stig or was he not there?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Mr. Bojabob, so, because your side lost a vote you no longer love a country that previously you did?

That's rather sad. Sadder still that you feel as much (or more) loyalty to foreigners than your own people.

Mr. Nabavi, indeed, and I wish those who keep raising stupid little regional assemblies in England would learn that lesson and not make an even worse error of judgement.

Although a centrist in political terms I'm an atheist and oppose the idea of an hereditary head of state.a patriot I would have to subscribe to "God Save the Queen" so in all honesty I can't consider myself a patriot either - the concept has pretty much been appropriated by English right -wingers in the UK.
    Monarchism is a right-wing thing. Personally I avoid calling Britain the "UK". The UK is a political regime. Britain is a country. Calling Britain "the UK" is like calling France "the fifth Republic". I am English and British but I am not a "UK-er", other than that's the monarchist crap that's written on my passport.
    What's your reason for taking that view? Do you think countries can't contain and be constituted by other countries? So the USSR and Czechoslovakia weren't countries? Your view would imply that there isn't any such thing as British nationalism, British patriotism, British national identity - but there is.
    Richard is completely right I think. However I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'.

Again there is no such thing. Great Britain is an area of physical geography not a country. It is as accurate as claiming ones country is Fingal's Cave or the Trent Valley.
    Ok, well if it didn't exist before it does now.

So. Is there such a thing? Well yes there must be because if it didn't exist already then it does now, and there can be no quibbles about the right to define such things as nobody knows who defined any of these such things in the first place.

So. I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'. Any objections?
    Yes. It is a fantasy, There is no such country as Great Britain. There is not even a State called Great Britain either legally or constitutionally.
    There are certainly no states called - England - Wales - or Scotland. England , in particular, seems a rather contrived country , being a merger of former separate Kingdoms such as Anglia- Northumbria- Wessex - Mercia - Cornwall etc.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

What's your reason for taking that view? Do you think countries can't contain and be constituted by other countries? So the USSR and Czechoslovakia weren't countries? Your view would imply that there isn't any such thing as British nationalism, British patriotism, British national identity - but there is.

No you aren't, Britain is no more a country than North America is, it's the name of a piece of land. And Great is a purely geographical qualifier to distinguish it from the other Britain, aka Brittany.
    I'm sorry but I stand by my statement, and will always stand by it.
    snip
    I live in hope that at some point in the not too distant future your fictitious identification will be proven once and for all when the State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ceases to exist and what remains are the existing Countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Technically, Richard is right. Great Britain is an island - an element of physical geography - not a country. The UK is the state.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    So merge England and Scotland. The name of the new country should honour both constituents equally, taking one syllable from England, Eng-, and one syllable from Scotland, -land, giving us the new name "England", and there is no entity left capable of wanting a referendum or claiming devolved powers or independence. Something like this should have been done in 1707.

I like the suggestion in a letter reprinted in The Week that Scots are fairly evenly split about whether they want another referendum or not, and the obvious way to settle the question is to hold a referendum on whether there should be a referendum.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    justin124 said:

There are certainly no states called - England - Wales - or Scotland. England , in particular, seems a rather contrived country , being a merger of former separate Kingdoms such as Anglia- Northumbria- Wessex - Mercia - Cornwall etc.

Ah, of course, so when everyone leaves but England we can still call ourselves the United Kingdom. :smile:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Fillon off the peg.

https://twitter.com/FRANCE24/status/842491583215816704

Toutes les dames aiment un homme en costume. Fais-tu Monsieur.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    edited March 2017

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Again there is no such thing. Great Britain is an area of physical geography not a country. It is as accurate as claiming ones country is Fingal's Cave or the Trent Valley.
    Ok, well if it didn't exist before it does now.

So. Is there such a thing? Well yes there must be because if it didn't exist already then it does now, and there can be no quibbles about the right to define such things as nobody knows who defined any of these such things in the first place.

So. I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'. Any objections?
    Yes. It is a fantasy, There is no such country as Great Britain. There is not even a State called Great Britain either legally or constitutionally.
    Come along. Are you actually saying that I am a fantasist because I identify myself as 'British'?

Nobody has ever suggested that there was a state, country, or anything else called 'Great Britain'. I'd suggest to you though that that name has been the banner under which many people have lived their lives, and under which many have fought.

If you wish to disregard and diminish such practice then it is of course up to you. I personally think that would be a poor place to be.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Ishmael_Z said:

So merge England and Scotland. The name of the new country should honour both constituents equally, taking one syllable from England, Eng-, and one syllable from Scotland, -land, giving us the new name "England", and there is no entity left capable of wanting a referendum or claiming devolved powers or independence. Something like this should have been done in 1707.

I like the suggestion in a letter reprinted in The Week that Scots are fairly evenly split about whether they want another referendum or not, and the obvious way to settle the question is to hold a referendum on whether there should be a referendum.

It's referendums all the way down....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    justin124 said:

Officially England is a country. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a state. Great Britain is an area of physical geography as are the British Isles.

England has its own separate system of law as do Scotland and Northern Ireland. There is no such thing as 'British Law'.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Maybe the rebirth of England is not such a bad thing. Hopefully then we won't be blamed for everything.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sturgeon should get her government to resign and call a Holyrood election for May - stand on a platform of another referendum.

Unless she's feart ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited March 2017

justin124 said:

Officially England is a country. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a state. Great Britain is an area of physical geography as are the British Isles.

England has its own separate system of law as do Scotland and Northern Ireland. There is no such thing as 'British Law'.
    Technically English and Welsh law (beyond legislation passed by the Welsh Assembly) and in reality England has been basically a geographical entity since 1707, there is no English Parliament, it shares its Parliament and monarch with the rest of the UK
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Come along. Are you actually saying that I am a fantasist because I identify myself as 'British'?

Nobody has ever suggested that there was a state, country, or anything else called 'Great Britain'. I'd suggest to you though that that name has been the banner under which many people have lived their lives, and under which many have fought.

If you wish to disregard and diminish such practice then it is of course up to you. I personally think that would be a poor place to be.

Actually you suggested exactly that in the comment to which I replied.

Your exact statement was "I'm British and my country is called 'Great Britain'"
  • Options

Make Mercia Great Again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Tim_B said:

Speaking of Top Gear- we had the first of the new series on Sunday evening. It took me 3 days to wade through it and Extra Gear. Matt is Matt, and would fit in with most folks. Harris is just too straight and earnest and Reid is just a cuddly irritating teeneager.

Crickey you are a glutton for punishment...watching Top Gear and the Extra Show !!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    The English Cow jumped over the Scottish Moon while the Welsh fiddled while Rome burned
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    dr_spyn said:

Fillon off the peg.

Time for an investigation into whether Theresa May paid full price for her Amanda Wakeley wardrobe?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:
    How the mighty have fallen...

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWfE4DAyao
    Things Can Only Get Better - 80s stylee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OO9LloDSJo
  • Options

Omnium said:

Yes - if you ask me those are my answers. I have explicitly said that you're right as to the non-existence of such a thing as a legal entity, but I have also made clear that I don't give a fig for the legality. I am, and my family has always (for say the last 50 years) thought of itself as British.

I can and do claim such a thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Technically English and Welsh law (beyond legislation passed by the Welsh Assembly) and in reality England has been basically a geographical entity since 1707, there is no English Parliament, it shares its Parliament and monarch with the rest of the UK
    As I understand it technically it is called English Law although it applies in Wales as well.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

Some people tried North Britain for a while. It didn't catch on up here ... Gladstone kicked off executive devolution with the formation of the Scottish Office in 1885, but with no Scottish accountability.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    dr_spyn said:

Make Mercia Great Again.

It wasn't a merger.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Tim_B said:

Crickey you are a glutton for punishment...watching Top Gear and the Extra Show !!!
    BBC America runs them back to back. My dvr lets me watch in manageable chunks and "Top Gear" on my dvr includes extra gear. The show appears to be sinking slowly - but at least they have the original track back!. No Stig though.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Yes - if you ask me those are my answers. I have explicitly said that you're right as to the non-existence of such a thing as a legal entity, but I have also made clear that I don't give a fig for the legality. I am, and my family has always (for say the last 50 years) thought of itself as British.

You can claim to be Martian for all I care. It doesn't make it any more true.
  • Options

Omnium said:

We use "British" as a shorthand for "United Kingdomish", the same way "American" is shorthand for "United Statesish".

eg. British Airways, and American Airlines.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    TGOHF said:

Sturgeon should get her government to resign and call a Holyrood election for May - stand on a platform of another referendum.

Unless she's feart ?

Why? She's got a mandate.

• Options

Omnium said:

We use "British" as a shorthand for "United Kingdomish", the same way "American" is shorthand for "United Statesish".

I tend to regard myself as English rather than British, and my wife regards herself as a Scot. Saying you're "British" doesn't really convey anything
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Danny565 said:
    Six weeks later Labour won the election by a margin of 13%!
    That was the election when ICM came into its own

• Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

You can claim to be Martian for all I care. It doesn't make it any more true.
    I guess we'll leave the conversation there Richard.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017

Omnium said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

Alistair said:

When was the country of Britain founded?

Hint: Not at he same time as the United Kingdom.

What a lot of confusion we've got here.

Richard: you haven't explained why you think Britain isn't a country. And I'd also be interested to hear what you think it is.

Those who think Britain is a union and not a country presumably think the same about the entity known as England and Wales, in which case they'd be right, but what about other unions such as the USA? So a union can contain unions but a country can't contain countries? But an entity can be a union or federation and a country at the same time. No apologies for the absence of a thin boundary line around these notions.

I hope I'm not going to hear from anyone that Britain can't be a country because it was a Roman province.

Omnium: it's fine that you are British and you consider your country to be Great Britain, but what is the country people are thinking of who also view themselves as British and who are from Northern Ireland? It's not Great Britain.

Alistair: a country needn't have an unambiguous date of foundation. When was Germany founded? When was the precise moment before which we should not call Russia a country? It's political regimes, not countries, that have dates of foundation.

When did New Zealand become an independent country? There is no exact date.

Several of you are falling into the continuum fallacy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

In 65 years following football I have never seen a relay passing a banana onto the field of play for a player to eat to boost his energy

In less enlightened times, they would have picked up one of the bananas thrown onto the pitch....
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

LEAVE got a mandate on June 23rd
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

I tend to regard myself as English rather than British, and my wife regards herself as a Scot. Saying you're "British" doesn't really convey anything
    British Airways?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Yes, but it was a mandate from thick racists so doesn't count.
  • Options
    I have never thought of the component parts of Great Britain as being countries any more than the component parts of Germany - Bavaria - Saxony - Rhineland etc - or of Italy - Umbria -Tuscany etc. England , Wales & Scotland have been together for a great deal longer.
  • Options
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Only thick English racists.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

British Airways?
    They convey airline passengers, but that wasn't my point. I don't use them - my 250k miles are on Delta.
  • Options
    TimB

Your post raises an important point.

There are English Americans. There are Scottish Americans. There are Welsh Americans.

There are not, as far as I have heard, British Americans.
  • Options

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

And Welsh too, remember? :)
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    If you stop to really think about it, there is no such thing as 'Britain' just as there is no such thing as 'England' or 'Scotland'. All these concepts and identities are transitory and have evolved over history and continue to evolve.

In the end though all national identies are bullshit. Long live the European post national superstate. Nationalism just leads to wars, conflict, poverty and protectionism, as we are probably now going to learn to our cost.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

British Airways?
    They convey airline passengers, but that wasn't my point. I don't use them - my 250k miles are on Delta.
    Not American Airlines?
  • Options

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

And Welsh too, remember? :)
    No, only English votes counted.
  • Options
    We don't need no stinkin' Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we need a King or Queen of the Britons.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

The May Scottish elections will be very interesting and provide a good guide on the way the wind is blowing
  • Options
    nielh said:

If you stop to really think about it, there is no such thing as 'Britain' just as there is no such thing as 'England' or 'Scotland'. All these concepts and identities are transitory and have evolved over history and continue to evolve.

In the end though all national identies are bullshit. Long live the European post national superstate. Nationalism just leads to wars, conflict, poverty and protectionism, as we are probably now going to learn to our cost.

Yeah, but the EU leads to straight bananas and stuff.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Danny565 said:
    Six weeks later Labour won the election by a margin of 13%!
    That was the election when ICM came into its own

ICM was the only pollster in 1997 to underestimate the Labour lead with its final poll putting Labour 10% ahead. A week earlier it came up with an outlier showing Labour's lead falling to 5%!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

British Airways?
    Not American Airlines?
    If I lived in Dallas I might use AA, but living at Delta's home base it makes sense to use them.
  • Options
    Anyone else think the next Indyref should be conducted under AV?

Here's the options

1) Remain part of the UK and no EU membership
    2) Remain part of the UK and with EEA membership for all
    3) Scottish Independence with full EU membership
    4) Scottish Independence without EU membership

I'm sure there's more options to be added, but I'm knackered.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Fillon off the peg.

Time for an investigation into whether Theresa May paid full price for her Amanda Wakeley wardrobe?
    Or Cobyn's tracksuits, did he buy them at Sports Direct?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

TimB

There are English Americans. There are Scottish Americans. There are Welsh Americans.

It still confuses me the way that some third or forth generation Americans will say things like, "I'm Greek," without any qualification.

It possibly explains why the stories of migration into Europe had such strong propagandistic value in the US.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Long live the European dictatorship you mean. No thanks.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

TimB

British Americans call themselves American. It's only more recent arrivals who tend to hyphenate their identity.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In case anyone is still wondering why the left is unpopular in England, a peek at the last thread will confirm that many on the left don't seem that fond of England...

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and their love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Nah, I ain't buying that. It's only a certain type of leftie that thinks like that. The Labour voters I know are all as patriotic as I am, no matter what culture they come from.
    I'd agree with that. Lefty activists often seem far less patriotic than the average Labour voter.
    Out of interest do you consider it possible to be a republican and a patriot in this country.
    Traditionally the monarchy comes fairly far down the order of loyalty

Family, God, Queen and Country
    So as I am an atheist and republican I guess that rules me out of the patriotism stakes!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

She hasn't. There isn't a majority of MSPs who were elected having stood on a platform of calling another Scottish indyref if Britain voted Leave. There wasn't a majority of the popular vote in favour of that either.

It is taking the piss to the extreme for a minority government to insist that it's "undemocratic" for Scotland not to swallow the plurality party's rejected manifesto promise.

You want a mandate, Sturgeon? Try and get one.
  • Options

We don't need no stinkin' Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we need a King or Queen of the Britons.

All good Monarchists should be Brexiteers!

"Why?" I hear you cry.

Well, the Queen can only be sovereign if her Kingdom is independent of Brussels.
  • Options

Here's the options

5) No Scottish independence but with endless reruns of BBC Scotland Andy Stewart Hogmanay specials to reinforce cultural stereotypes
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Dixie said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In case anyone is still wondering why the left is unpopular in England, a peek at the last thread will confirm that many on the left don't seem that fond of England...

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and their love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Nah, I ain't buying that. It's only a certain type of leftie that thinks like that. The Labour voters I know are all as patriotic as I am, no matter what culture they come from.
    I'd agree with that. Lefty activists often seem far less patriotic than the average Labour voter.
    I hadn't realised how far this self-loathing syphilis had spread across Europe until recent scandals involving migrants came to light.

Liberal Tim Pool's videocasts from Sweden were just astonishing. The Swedish press simply lied about what he found, deliberately mistranslated him, tried to persuade him that what he saw with his own eyes wasn't true, and that even if it was true, he shouldn't report it.

https://twitter.com/Timcast
    The best interview of that series was with the Afghan Swedish cop. The elected officials on the other hand just would argue black was white. The reports of the media were very disturbing , not only misreporting him but things like his claims of re-pixelating a criminal from black to white as not to appear racist.
    A muslim country in 10 years
    Still suffering a bit of Geert butt hurt?
  • Options

Here's the options

UK referendum on AV, 2011:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes 2 AV 32%

:innocent:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It might be worth pondering why lefties in the UK, USA and Israel hold that view compared to there countries. Might be a bit of challenge for some.
    Because lefties are vile cuckolded epsilon castrati morons. There. Next question.

Unsurprisingly I have an alternative theory!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899

I used to think that ("There is no such thing as 'British Law'") as well, but I'm not sure now. The Crown (Government, whatever) signs a treaty, the Parliament ratifies it, that treaty becomes law and has domestic implications. Unless specified otherwise, it applies across the whole of the UK.What words would you use for such a law except "British law"? Or are you contending that there is not one law spanning three jurisdictions, but three identical laws across three jurisdictions?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It might be worth pondering why lefties in the UK, USA and Israel hold that view compared to there countries. Might be a bit of challenge for some.
    Indeed but it is the general economic success of those nations which allows them to be able to afford to wallow in self indulgent loathing of them
    or maybe the arrogance of their right wingers!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Perhaps an expert on the devolved politics of Scotland like yourself could give a step by step guide on how she'd go about that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Good point. Come to think of it, HMQ is Her Britannic Majesty on passports.

I'm surprised nobody spotted the obvious one: the British Army

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Fillon off the peg.

"It's the Cheryl Ladd collection and I got it at JC Penney's. On sale!"

• Options
    Cyan said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

She hasn't. There isn't a majority of MSPs who were elected having stood on a platform of calling another Scottish indyref if Britain voted Leave. There wasn't a majority of the popular vote in favour of that either.

It is taking the piss to the extreme for a minority government to insist that it's "undemocratic" for Scotland not to swallow the plurality party's rejected manifesto promise.

A minority government which secured 46.5% of the vote. Compare that with CON GE2015 36.9%.

• Options

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Don't forget the Welsh ones.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

TimB

British Americans call themselves American. It's only more recent arrivals who tend to hyphenate their identity.
    Yes, hyphenated Americans tend to denote other than Anglo, which is the default.
  • Options

twitter.com/ezlusztig/status/842347042630443009

Somebody is doing well out of all that overtime.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

The May Scottish elections will be very interesting and provide a good guide on the way the wind is blowing
    This May's elections might be the biggest SNP landslide yet (in terms of share of the vote), IMO.

Apart from anything else, they should squeeze the Green vote right down.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Richard: you haven't explained why you think Britain isn't a country. And I'd also be interested to hear what you think it is.

Those who think Britain is a union and not a country presumably think the same about the entity known as England and Wales, in which case they'd be right, but what about other unions such as the USA? So a union can contain unions but a country can't contain countries? But an entity can be a union or federation and a country at the same time. No apologies for the absence of a thin boundary line around these notions.

I hope I'm not going to hear from anyone that Britain can't be a country because it was a Roman province.

Omnium: it's fine that you are British and you consider your country to be Great Britain, but what is the country people are thinking of who also view themselves as British and who are from Northern Ireland? It's not Great Britain.

Alistair: a country needn't have an unambiguous date of foundation. When was Germany founded? When was the precise moment before which we should not call Russia a country? It's political regimes, not countries, that have dates of foundation.

Because these things are legally defined. If you want the UN definition then it is an area that is subject to the independent exercise of legal jurisdiction. As I said before England and Scotland have separate legal systems. Britain does not. No one denies the United Kingdom is a state but it is not a country.

And on that basis New Zealand stopped being a Dominion and became a separate country in 1947.
  • Options

Cyan said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

A minority government which secured 46.5% of the vote. Compare that with CON GE2015 36.9%.

LEAVE secured 51.9% of the vote on June 23rd...
  • Options
    edited March 2017

twitter.com/ezlusztig/status/842347042630443009

How much over and above normal secret service costs is that? I'm guessing a bit, but that would be the correct number to quite.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Perhaps an expert on the devolved politics of Scotland like yourself could give a step by step guide on how she'd go about that.
    Well, she could engineer an election in the same way the Tories at Westminster theoretically could, couldn't she? By the SNP passing a vote of no confidence in themselves.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Out of interest do you consider it possible to be a republican and a patriot in this country.
    Traditionally the monarchy comes fairly far down the order of loyalty

Family, God, Queen and Country
    So as I am an atheist and republican I guess that rules me out of the patriotism stakes!
    Not necessarily - the North Koreans are pretty patriotic :lol:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Cyan said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

LEAVE secured 51.9% of the vote on June 23rd...
    Yeah, but some majorities are more equal than others.
  • Options

Cyan said:

Because these things are legally defined. If you want the UN definition then it is an area that is subject to the independent exercise of legal jurisdiction. As I said before England and Scotland have separate legal systems. Britain does not. No one denies the United Kingdom is a state but it is not a country.

And on that basis New Zealand stopped being a Dominion and became a separate country in 1947.
    UN has 193 members, one of them being the UK.
  • Options
    War crimes witch-hunt lawyer goes bankrupt as ministers bid to claw back £4million... but not before signing his house over to his daughters

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4321976/Witch-hunt-lawyer-Phil-Shiner-goes-bankrupt.html

The is a word for this guy, but this is a family friendly website...
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Unless she's feart ?

Well, she could engineer an election in the same way the Tories at Westminster theoretically could, couldn't she? By the SNP passing a vote of no confidence in themselves.
    And the unionists then form a government.
  • Options
    I wondered what old Nick was up to these days...

Photograph of ex-Deputy PM Clegg is bizarrely used to illustrate building work at Las Vegas airport

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4321880/Photograph-Nick-Clegg-used-Las-Vegas-poster.html
  • Options
    This tweet contains the picture all future PB threads on Indyref2 will use

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/842503873742954496
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

War crimes witch-hunt lawyer goes bankrupt as ministers bid to claw back £4million... but not before signing his house over to his daughters

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4321976/Witch-hunt-lawyer-Phil-Shiner-goes-bankrupt.html

If the transfer of his home is deemed to be an attempt to avoid losing it to creditors, he may have to forfeit it to pay off his debts.
  • Options

Cyan said:

I was talking about the UN definition of a country not a state. They are two different things. England is defined as a country but not a state. The UK is a state but not a country.
  • Options

If the transfer of his home is deemed to be an attempt to avoid losing it to creditors, he may have to forfeit it to pay off his debts.
    He better get himself a good lawyer then.
  • Options

Och well, it might get some of the OO, SDL, EDL, NF, BNP, UKIP, Britain First and Tory Unionists on side.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    nielh said:

If you define it a "European", isn't that exclusionary ?
  • Options

Watching 'Allo 'Allo on "Yesterday Channel" right now :lol:
  • Options

Och well, it might get some of the OO, SDL, EDL, NF, BNP, UKIP, Britain First and Tory Unionists on side.
    If we do get Indyref2 I hope it does produce as many amusing things as the Waffen Yes Yes, The Yestapo, and Angry Salmond.
  • Options

Cyan said:

You are looking at states there, not countries. The confusion arises because most countries are also states. Exceptions include the UK and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which are states that comprise constituent countries.
  • Options

twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/842503873742954496

I bet Red Ken might get a tad excitable over such a picture.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Ein reich, ein volk, zwei referenden? :D

Oh look, my coat!
  • Options

Strange you don't add your own party to that list. Donaldson, Gibb , Young .........

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/711752/snp-links-adolf-hitler-fascism-revealed-political-anthology-james-mitchell-gerry-hassan
  • Options
    Is nowhere safe for Corbyn's Labour Party, other than Islington?
  • Options

"It's the Cheryl Ladd collection and I got it at JC Penney's. On sale!"

SHUT UP! Enough already, Nicola! Who cares about Teresa May anyway? The woman has only one look, for Christ's sake! Brexit? NIC? Grammar schools? They're the same policy! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it! What have you done, Nicola? You've done nothing! NOTHIIIING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9O6q0pDAU
This discussion has been closed.