Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview : Three CON defences and a

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    That's nothing! I walked across the Tyne Bridge today :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

That's nothing! I walked across the Tyne Bridge today :)
    Not the High Level Bridge? That one's got train on top!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited March 2017

This tweet contains the picture all future PB threads on Indyref2 will use

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/842503873742954496

Och well, it might get some of the OO, SDL, EDL, NF, BNP, UKIP, Britain First and Tory Unionists on side.
    Then you'd vote to stay with us!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    RobD said:

Ein reich, ein volk, zwei referenden? :D

Oh look, my coat!
    The existence of our Union rests on some simple but powerful principles: solidarität, einheit, familie.
  • Options

Cyan said:

What a lot of confusion we've got here.

Richard: you haven't explained why you think Britain isn't a country. And I'd also be interested to hear what you think it is.

Those who think Britain is a union and not a country presumably think the same about the entity known as England and Wales, in which case they'd be right, but what about other unions such as the USA? So a union can contain unions but a country can't contain countries? But an entity can be a union or federation and a country at the same time. No apologies for the absence of a thin boundary line around these notions.

I hope I'm not going to hear from anyone that Britain can't be a country because it was a Roman province.

Omnium: it's fine that you are British and you consider your country to be Great Britain, but what is the country people are thinking of who also view themselves as British and who are from Northern Ireland? It's not Great Britain.

Alistair: a country needn't have an unambiguous date of foundation. When was Germany founded? When was the precise moment before which we should not call Russia a country? It's political regimes, not countries, that have dates of foundation.

When did New Zealand become an independent country? There is no exact date.

Several of you are falling into the continuum fallacy.

Because these things are legally defined. If you want the UN definition then it is an area that is subject to the independent exercise of legal jurisdiction. As I said before England and Scotland have separate legal systems. Britain does not. No one denies the United Kingdom is a state but it is not a country.

And on that basis New Zealand stopped being a Dominion and became a separate country in 1947.
    UN has 193 members, one of them being the UK.
    I was talking about the UN definition of a country not a state. They are two different things. England is defined as a country but not a state. The UK is a state but not a country.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations#Current_members
  • Options
    South Heaton (Newcastle upon Tyne) result:
    LAB: 46.8% (-11.8)
    GRN: 27.1% (+1.7)
    LDEM: 15.9% (+11.5)
    UKIP: 5.4% (-1.5)
    CON: 4.9% (+0.2)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It
    Och well, it might get some of the OO, SDL, EDL, NF, BNP, UKIP, Britain First and Tory Unionists on side.
    If we do get Indyref2 I hope it does produce as many amusing things as the Waffen Yes Yes, The Yestapo, and Angry Salmond.
    I have the oddest feeling that somehow we won't ever quite reach indyref2. Not Quite Getting There satisfies too many people, and annoys too few.
    It'd certainly satisfy one person I can think of.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Labour's monopoly in Newcastle still safe.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    He's there. At the bottom.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Utterly sensational Tory surge there... :smiley:
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/842503873742954496

I bet Red Ken might get a tad excitable over such a picture.
    And Rod Crosby
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    I'm about to go to bed, but to avoid future doubt, Richard Tyndall is correct.
  • Options
    PUT YOUR GLASSES ON, DEAR.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Ooft, the SCOT GOES POP blog is floating the idea of all 56 SNP MPs resigning simultaneously, and triggering by-elections. Imagine the betting opportunities :D
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    Bojabob said:

Cyan said:

What a lot of confusion we've got here.

Richard: you haven't explained why you think Britain isn't a country. And I'd also be interested to hear what you think it is.

Those who think Britain is a union and not a country presumably think the same about the entity known as England and Wales, in which case they'd be right, but what about other unions such as the USA? So a union can contain unions but a country can't contain countries? But an entity can be a union or federation and a country at the same time. No apologies for the absence of a thin boundary line around these notions.

I hope I'm not going to hear from anyone that Britain can't be a country because it was a Roman province.

Omnium: it's fine that you are British and you consider your country to be Great Britain, but what is the country people are thinking of who also view themselves as British and who are from Northern Ireland? It's not Great Britain.

Alistair: a country needn't have an unambiguous date of foundation. When was Germany founded? When was the precise moment before which we should not call Russia a country? It's political regimes, not countries, that have dates of foundation.

When did New Zealand become an independent country? There is no exact date.

Several of you are falling into the continuum fallacy.

Because these things are legally defined. If you want the UN definition then it is an area that is subject to the independent exercise of legal jurisdiction. As I said before England and Scotland have separate legal systems. Britain does not. No one denies the United Kingdom is a state but it is not a country.

And on that basis New Zealand stopped being a Dominion and became a separate country in 1947.
    UN has 193 members, one of them being the UK.
    You are looking at states there, not countries. The confusion arises because most countries are also states. Exceptions include the UK and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which are states that comprise constituent countries.
    "State" and "country" mean different things in different contexts.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Nah

Trump Tower security is costing the US taxpayer $400,000 every single day

New York wants federal government to pay President-elect's security bill instead

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-costs-more-protect-us-leader-president-history-a7456046.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Danny565 said:

Ooft, the SCOT GOES POP blog is floating the idea of all 56 SNP MPs resigning simultaneously, and triggering by-elections. Imagine the betting opportunities :D

They would lose Edinburgh West and most of the Borders for sure.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    RobD said:

This ward is full of 'young professionals' and students of 2 universities It will never vote Tory in a million years. It's almost the Shoredich of Newcastle.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Danny565 said:

Wee Jimmy, loves to dream.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Whatta bout those Lib Dems, though? #theSurge

Heaton is full of hipsters these days, so I wouldn't expect a big uptick in the Green vote across Tyneside going forward.
  • Options
    Saham Toney (Breckland):
    CON: 48.1% (-2.7)
    LDEM: 15.1% (+15.1)
    IND: 14.9% (+14.9)
    UKIP: 11.5% (-20.1)
    LAB: 10.3% (+10.3)
    No Grn as prev.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm about to go to bed, but to avoid future doubt, Richard Tyndall is correct.

"Although not sovereign states, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are referred to as countries, which collectively form the United Kingdom—a sovereign state which is also referred to as a country."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country
  • Options

Saham Toney (Breckland):
    CON: 48.1% (-2.7)
    LDEM: 15.1% (+15.1)
    IND: 14.9% (+14.9)
    UKIP: 11.5% (-20.1)
    LAB: 10.3% (+10.3)
    No Grn as prev.

Look at that Labour surge!!!111
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Kelly's degenerated into a dope fiend.
  • Options

South Heaton quite studenty - but if the young start deserting Corbyn.....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    South Ribble Con hold

Con 359
    Lab 262
    LDem 106
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

Not sure i'd be confident of them winning back every seat.

1/3 they'd lose at least one.
    Evens they'd lose more than 3.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Did the Metro from Newcastle Central to the Airport on Monday afternoon
    Then the Metro from South Gosforth to St James via the Coast on Tuesday (also later that day went to Berwick and ventured down to the Tweed beneath the Royal Border Bridge!)
    Wednesday I did the remaining Metro branches from Central to South Shields and South Hylton via Sunderland, and also the mainline train from Newcastle to Sunderland.
    Finally, today did Newcastle to Carlisle via the Tyne Valley (also managed to do the curve linking High Level Bridge outbound towards Carlisle).
  • Options
    Lab down 9.4% in Ribble, which seems to be consistent with drops elsewhere. They'll be getting a severe doing in the locals, might get some extra popcorn in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

And North East
  • Options
    Pong said:

Danny565 said:

Berwickshire, Roxburgh, and Selkirk should be a nailed on Tory gain if Unionists vote tactically (and probably a gain if they don't)

I did hear from someone the Tories would have won that seat at GE2015 if some Tories hadn't voted tactically for Michael Moore.
  • Options
  • Options

Pong said:

Danny565 said:

Berwickshire, Roxburgh, and Selkirk should be a nailed on Tory gain if Unionists vote tactically (and probably a gain if they don't)

I did hear from someone the Tories would have won that seat at GE2015 if some Tories hadn't voted tactically for Michael Moore.
    Fahrenheit 9/11 was controversial to say the least :lol:

(I'll get me coat...)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Poor jeremy getting it again on QT.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Lab down 9.4% in Ribble, which seems to be consistent with drops elsewhere. They'll be getting a severe doing in the locals, might get some extra popcorn in.

Conservative down roughly 5% also. Both falls to be expected with a LibDem standing this time.
  • Options
    Off topic, but I'd stand in a queue all day long to punch John McTernan, the clueless berk (he's currently waffling on STV).

Never has one man been more consistently wrong about politics over a longer period of time. Although betting against some of his tips has won me a few quid.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

I don't want Labour to do catastrophically bad in May. If they do, Corbyn might actual get the revolver out and do the honourable thing. I want to see all the gory details of a full blown general election campaign with Corbyn as Labour leader - and then Labour's evisceration.
  • Options
    Lol. Cruel!
  • Options
    May's head on Salmond's body.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Lol. Cruel!
    "Call me Bojabob, darling! Everybody does!"
  • Options
    On the same theme, if the Scots currency is pegged to sterling, will it be called the 'bitty'?
  • Options
    Jason said:

I don't want Labour to do catastrophically bad in May. If they do, Corbyn might actual get the revolver out and do the honourable thing. I want to see all the gory details of a full blown general election campaign with Corbyn as Labour leader - and then Labour's evisceration.
    I just don't think there's enough popcorn in Britain to see me through the utter car crash of a Corbyn 'led' election 'campaign'.
  • Options

May's head on Salmond's body.
    Yeah, but how did Fabricant's hair get in there?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Then the Metro from South Gosforth to St James via the Coast on Tuesday (also later that day went to Berwick and ventured down to the Tweed beneath the Royal Border Bridge!)
    Wednesday I did the remaining Metro branches from Central to South Shields and South Hylton via Sunderland, and also the mainline train from Newcastle to Sunderland.
    Finally, today did Newcastle to Carlisle via the Tyne Valley (also managed to do the curve linking High Level Bridge outbound towards Carlisle).
    You are lucky. It was replacement buses, not stopping at all stations between Carlisle and Newcastle Sunday and Monday. It is a scenic trip, but try commuting on it especially on a Sunday.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Decided to turn on Question Time for the first time in months. Saw Angela Eagle. Turned off.
  • Options
    Warbreck (Blackpool) result:
    CON: 54.8% (+17.5)
    LAB: 35.2% (+6.3)
    UKIP: 5.6% (-13.4)
    LDEM: 4.3% (-2.8)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited March 2017

Ooh, the Record's gone National.

Cruel. Brittle Britain will be a rich vein for them over the next couple of years.

• Options
    Call me oldfashioned but could Tim Martin have managed to put a shirt on before hitting our screens?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

A hint of desperation, as INDY disapppears today, gently over the horizon, into the 2020s.

For many of these young Hiberno-Quebecois indy-dreamers, five years is an eternity. They will go from earnest 20-something certainty, to the property-owning bourgeois havering of the 30s, others will proceed from uncertain indy-ish middle youth, to gritty, fuck it, unionist middle age.

The New Model Army of Indyref 1 is about to be disbanded, sans success. Painful.
    Hiberno?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    SeanT said:

It
    If we do get Indyref2 I hope it does produce as many amusing things as the Waffen Yes Yes, The Yestapo, and Angry Salmond.
    I have the oddest feeling that somehow we won't ever quite reach indyref2. Not Quite Getting There satisfies too many people, and annoys too few.
    Christ, I think that scenario might just end me.
    Danny565 said:

What a waste of time that would be. Presumably they'd win all or nearly all of them at least, and I guess they could talk about improved mandate and all that cobbler, but they already say they have that, so what's the point?
  • Options

Is nowhere safe for Corbyn's Labour Party, other than Islington?
    Manchester Gorton
  • Options

OllyT said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

In case anyone is still wondering why the left is unpopular in England, a peek at the last thread will confirm that many on the left don't seem that fond of England...

In the global league table of leftie hatred of nations the UK (or more particularly England) takes a bronze and comes a strong third behind gold medallist the USA and Israel with silver. That of course explains their hatred of Trump and Brexit UK and their love of Scottish nationalism and Palestinian self determination
    Nah, I ain't buying that. It's only a certain type of leftie that thinks like that. The Labour voters I know are all as patriotic as I am, no matter what culture they come from.
    I'd agree with that. Lefty activists often seem far less patriotic than the average Labour voter.
    Out of interest do you consider it possible to be a republican and a patriot in this country.
    Traditionally the monarchy comes fairly far down the order of loyalty

Family, God, Queen and Country
    So as I am an atheist and republican I guess that rules me out of the patriotism stakes!
    Not necessarily - the North Koreans are pretty patriotic :lol:
    The Kims are effectively God Kings given how they are portrayed.
  • Options
    Jacob Rees Mogg's obscure historical references thrown in at completely random intervals always make me LOL.
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

A hint of desperation, as INDY disapppears today, gently over the horizon, into the 2020s.

For many of these young Hiberno-Quebecois indy-dreamers, five years is an eternity. They will go from earnest 20-something certainty, to the property-owning bourgeois havering of the 30s, others will proceed from uncertain indy-ish middle youth, to gritty, fuck it, unionist middle age.

The New Model Army of Indyref 1 is about to be disbanded, sans success. Painful.
    Hiberno?
    Hearts were always rubbish :)
  • Options

Cruel. Brittle Britain will be a rich vein for them over the next couple of years.

The British people said NO back in June :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    I believe James is of Irish-Canadian extraction. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I know racial definition and ensuing Scottish purity is an obsession with you guys, and I bow to your superior racialistic knowledge.
    Shame James Kelly doesn't post any more. A class act. Gave you more than a run for your money at times Sean.
  • Options

The Daily Record's circulation has halved in the past 5 years. I doubt it'll survive the next couple of years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

We can hope. I always look for the pitfalls. Bear in mind SIndy enthusiasts see a good chance to make a move now (or the near future), but many of them have been at this for decades, growing ever more passionate not less, and the overall numbers of them has increased over that time. Maybe they will peter out a little if things get pushed back 4-5 years (though they will remain dominant), but the near religious fervour of the core which sees this as a cause over centuries, will adapt to the changed circumstance if they do have to wait more than they'd like.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

You are lucky. It was replacement buses, not stopping at all stations between Carlisle and Newcastle Sunday and Monday. It is a scenic trip, but try commuting on it especially on a Sunday.
    Monday they had the rail strike didn't they? Yes, a scenic ride, didn't know the Tyne was so wide for such a distance. Also today, walked across the Tyne Bridge :)
  • Options

TORY SURGE!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    I believe James is of Irish-Canadian extraction. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I know racial definition and ensuing Scottish purity is an obsession with you guys, and I bow to your superior racialistic knowledge.
    I believe he had a vote in the US election, no idea about the rest. I'd imagine the actual earnest 20-something, Hiberno-Quebecois indy-dreamer section of the Scottish electorate is pretty minimal, but hey, it's your flabby analogy, enjoy.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Despite the impression some are giving on here , the Labour vote is not collapsing overall in local elections .
    All elections so far in March
    Con 38.0% plus 0.3%
    Lab 28.6% minus 1.7%
    LDem 14.8% plus 7.8%
    UKIP 9.5% minus 2.0%
    Green 4.1% minus 2.5%
    Others 5.0% minus 2.0%
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the subplot of tonight's byelections is a set of rather mediocre results for the Lib Dems (by their recent high standards)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

god I'm drunk and tired after writing an entire chapter of a thriller, having TOO MUCH SEX last night, and now watching the enervating tedium of ARRIVAL. I had so much sex I have crocked my knee

Clearly it's too late to save my knee, or my liver, but can someone tell me whether it's worth pursuing ARRIVAL?

It just feels like some Portuguese speaking woman talking in the rain to allegorical migrants, right now. YAWNFEST

It's well shot and well acted, but is deliberately slow paced, overly maudlin, and its twists are not as clever as it thinks they are if you can think about it for more than 30 seconds.

Worth watching once, but perhaps not in your current state?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

god I'm drunk and tired after writing an entire chapter of a thriller, having TOO MUCH SEX last night, and now watching the enervating tedium of ARRIVAL. I had so much sex I have crocked my knee

Clearly it's too late to save my knee, or my liver, but can someone tell me whether it's worth pursuing ARRIVAL?

It just feels like some Portuguese speaking woman talking in the rain to allegorical migrants, right now. YAWNFEST

It sounds like the sort of film I would loathe. I will name a note to avoid it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, the subplot of tonight's byelections is a set of rather mediocre results for the Lib Dems (by their recent high standards)

Indeed. Just when predicting massive swings for them as a matter of course was seeming reasonable. Modest gains really might be the outcome in May.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

dixiedean said:

Monday they had the rail strike didn't they? Yes, a scenic ride, didn't know the Tyne was so wide for such a distance. Also today, walked across the Tyne Bridge :)
    Sunday buses so "trains were not out of position for a strike day". Did you see the Millenium (can never spell that) Bridge raised? It is quite impressive!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    SeanT said:

Keep at it- in both senses.
  • Options

Despite the impression some are giving on here , the Labour vote is not collapsing overall in local elections .
    All elections so far in March
    Con 38.0% plus 0.3%
    Lab 28.6% minus 1.7%
    LDem 14.8% plus 7.8%
    UKIP 9.5% minus 2.0%
    Green 4.1% minus 2.5%
    Others 5.0% minus 2.0%

Point taken, but neither is the Tory vote from those figures, and I'm sure I've seem people make that claim given their losses in the local by-elections.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

That's a bloody good result for the Tories! UKIP crashing and burning, their vote going back to former homes? (And awful for the LibDems.)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    I know he had a vote in the US election, no idea about the rest. I'd imagine the actual earnest 20-something, Hiberno-Quebecois indy-dreamer section of the Scottish electorate is pretty minimal, but hey, it's your flabby analogy, enjoy.
    Sure. But I think Irish Catholic Canadianism is his personal ID. Hence his Anglophobia, deriving from a post-imperial inferiority complex, so typical of the more driven CyberNats.
    This would be a lot more fun, interesting and challenging were James here to counter your blows, Sean.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    I know he had a vote in the US election, no idea about the rest. I'd imagine the actual earnest 20-something, Hiberno-Quebecois indy-dreamer section of the Scottish electorate is pretty minimal, but hey, it's your flabby analogy, enjoy.
    Sure. But I think Irish Catholic Canadianism is his personal ID. Hence his Anglophobia, deriving from a post-imperial inferiority complex, so typical of the more driven CyberNats.
    The mystery is as to why Kelly's Canadian and American ancestors chose to leave the new world and settle in Cumbernauld ( a brutal shithole even by central belt standards ). That would embitter anyone.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    Shame James Kelly doesn't post any more. A class act. Gave you more than a run for your money at times Sean.
    He did. I enjoyed our debates. He's an acute observer. I think he's a very smart guy. And I have personally intervened to help him on Twitter when he was being abused and doxxed by some nasty feminist weirdos.
    Sean - fair enough. I don't know why he left, as it happens.
  • Options
    An....unconventional start to This Week.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

Portillo as Officer Crabtree and Liz Kendall as Michelle!!

Kendall is quite fit IMO.. v white teeth too
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Danny565 said:

Paging Sunil! :D
  • Options
    isam said:

Danny565 said:

Kendall is quite fit IMO
    One should not objectify... but I agree.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    He did. I enjoyed our debates. He's an acute observer. I think he's a very smart guy. And I have personally intervened to help him on Twitter when he was being abused and doxxed by some nasty feminist weirdos.
    Banned.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    The Libdems did worse than your predicted result in all four contests, dramatically so in Blackpool.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

So much for Britain Elects' tweet that the Greens were surging...maybe they should stick to reporting (which they do well)...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

[Princess Liz Kendall is escorted by Lord Livingstone into an audience with Grand Moff Corbyn]
    Princess Liz: Governor Corbyn, I should have expected to find you holding Livingstone's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your political career.
    Princess Liz: [sarcastically] I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Princess Liz, before your deselection, I would like to invite you to a ceremony that will make this progressive party operational. No Labour Stronghold will dare oppose the Corbynistas now.
    Princess Liz: The more you tighten your grip, Corbyn, the more safe seats will slip through your fingers.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Not after we demonstrate the power of this policy. In a way, you have determined the choice of the constituency that is to be targeted first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test our activists' destructive power on your home planet of Leicester.
    Princess Liz: [shocked] No! Leicester is peaceful, we have no weapons. You can't possibly—
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system! [stepping closer to Liz and pinning her against Darth Livingstone] I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?
    Princess Liz: [looks at view-screen showing Leicester for a moment, then, resigned] Derby. They're all on Derby.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: There you see, Lord Livingstone? She can be reasonable. Proceed with the operation. You may fire when ready.
    Princess Liz: [indignant] What?!
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You're far too trusting. Derby is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your rebel friends soon enough!
    [Liz watches helplessly as pro-Corbyn activists descend on Leicester]
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

So much for Britain Elects' tweet that the Greens were surging...maybe they should stick to reporting (which they do well)...
    To be fair, they did tweet an apology shortly after the result was declared...
  • Options

If I've learned anything about political terminology, it's that 'surging' is used to describe any positive increase.
  • Options
    People like Kendall are getting very prematurely excited by hailing Macron as the new saviour of politics, when he's currently not even polling at UK Labour's dire levels.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Liz Kendall

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

[Princess Liz Kendall is escorted by Lord Livingstone into an audience with Grand Moff Corbyn]
    Princess Liz: Governor Corbyn, I should have expected to find you holding Livingstone's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your political career.
    Princess Liz: [sarcastically] I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Princess Liz, before your deselection, I would like to invite you to a ceremony that will make this progressive party operational. No Labour Stronghold will dare oppose the Corbynistas now.
    Princess Liz: The more you tighten your grip, Corbyn, the more safe seats will slip through your fingers.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Not after we demonstrate the power of this policy. In a way, you have determined the choice of the constituency that is to be targeted first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test our activists' destructive power on your home planet of Leicester.
    Princess Liz: [shocked] No! Leicester is peaceful, we have no weapons. You can't possibly—
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system! [stepping closer to Liz and pinning her against Darth Livingstone] I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?
    Princess Liz: [looks at view-screen showing Leicester for a moment, then, resigned] Derby. They're all on Derby.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: There you see, Lord Livingstone? She can be reasonable. Proceed with the operation. You may fire when ready.
    Princess Liz: [indignant] What?!
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You're far too trusting. Derby is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your rebel friends soon enough!
    [Liz watches helplessly as pro-Corbyn activists descend on Leicester]
    Brilliant. You should stick to these spoofs and save your energy on the endless repetition of referendum results. Good night.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sunday buses so "trains were not out of position for a strike day". Did you see the Millenium (can never spell that) Bridge raised? It is quite impressive!
    No, sadly, it remained in the "down" position this whole week, or at least the last three evenings.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

People like Kendall are getting very prematurely excited by hailing Macron as the new saviour of politics, when he's currently not even polling at UK Labour's dire levels.

Have they moved on from Trudeau as saviour so soon? I suppose a European option is desired.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

Kendall is quite fit IMO
    She's talking a load of old shit though
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Danny565 said:

Though I doubt Corbyn would get anyway near Macron's current level of runoff polling in a runoff v May or even Farage or Nuttall
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Hiberno?
    Got the ban hammer. If I remember correctly, he has made all sorts of claims on his own blog about this site and OGH, plus a load of warnings about behaviour.

The credibility of the Political Betting website hits a new low - because of hypocrisy as much as inaccuracy

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-credibility-of-political-betting.html

Although written post-ban, it really just a continuation of a long running battle with OGH.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

Kendall is quite fit IMO
    shocking to see such views on pb.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liz-kendall-posed-tank-now-8008614
  • Options
    Old_HandOld_Hand Posts: 49
    Result of the Saham Toney By-Election: Conservative 48.1%, Lib Dem 15.1%, Independent 14.9%, UKIP 11.5%, Labour 10.3%. Slightly better for Conservative and rather worse for Lib Dem than predicted. Turnout was 18.2%.
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

Kendall is quite fit IMO
    shocking to see such views on pb.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liz-kendall-posed-tank-now-8008614
    The Mirror know a thing or two about fake military photo shoots...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

No. Tedium continues with boring, predictable 'surprise' ending.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Arrival is a great film. For the thinking viewer. Best watched sober, however.
  • Options
    So I see the omNICshambles budget continues to dominate the front pages...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Yes, if you didn't follow the last few minutes you'd miss the whole point!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Yes, if you didn't follow the last few minutes you'd miss the whole point!
    Pulleease. The last few minutes were telegraphed so heavily you'd have to be a dullard not to have seen it coming from a mile away.
This discussion has been closed.