Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: SCOTLAND SPECIAL+ more on Nort

Comments

• Options

Always splendid when a delivery man takes the time to deliver a note saying he was sorry he missed you (presumably because he didn't actually bother knocking on the door).

Was he from Yodel or Hermes?
  • Options

Always splendid when a delivery man takes the time to deliver a note saying he was sorry he missed you (presumably because he didn't actually bother knocking on the door).

Or if they're delivering to a business and they state no one available to sign.
    Probably the best one was to a friend who works at an estate agent and the driver confirmed delivery with a signature at 2:30AM

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    PlatoSaid said:

If you watched the Maddow reveal of Trump's taxes, this is rather funny

https://youtu.be/q_rTWxJepO8

As someone posted on my Facebbok page, I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without haveing their motives questioned!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,838
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

A very long read, and fascinating to read the factual details of the intricate planning.

Could have been done without the Guardian's typical negative view of the monarchy intertwined with it though.
    Guardian's negativity pales in insignificance to the pasting Wills and Kate "Antoinette" have been getting in the Mail and Sun this week.
    One wonders whether even the pink newsreader lady in Pyongyang will intonate all this ceremony in a way that suggests she thinks these Brits are totally mad.

And, as with the Olympics, it will be the feeling that we are, indeed, slightly bonkers, that will be the emotion most likely to get to me and swell the pride in my chest.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Sandpit said:

Toyota to invest £240m in UK operations
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39289269

Good news.

Yet more good positive news on overseas investment. It's almost as if large non-EU companies see Britain as a successful nation in the future.
    Good news for South Derbyshire. Although any more staff will make the A50/A38 rouundabout even busier at shift changes, damn them. ;)

An anecdote: in the late 1980s the wife of one of my dad's workmen started an evening course in spoken Japanese, on a whim. Shortly after she finished the course the Burnaston plant was announced by Toyota, and she applied for a job. She was one of the first employees to be employed there (I think they wanted locals for PR purposes), and went from being a receptionist/secretary to management before she retired.

Not bad for a housewife!
    Obviously congratulations are (?were) due to the lady, but bearing in mind Liam Fox’ recent remarks about doing away with workers rights, do these large organsations think it worthwhile to come here and pay a small-ish tariff because they will be operating in a worker-unfriendly country.
    Do you have a link to Fox's remarks? I missed them. TIA.
    It was a quote ex the FT in something else, possibly the Indie. Can’t find at the moment.
    Beware historical quotes:

Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, in 2012 described some workplace rights as “unsustainable”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-workers-rights-cuts-ministers-margot-james-eu-holiday-a7249716.html

The PM has been consistent on this.....and much as Labour & the SNP would love a scare I doubt you'll find anything from Fox in his current role....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    stodge said:

The notion a Prime Minister (or indeed an entire Cabinet) can be wholly ignorant of a Chancellor's Budget statement before he or she stands up in the Commons is absurd.

The Budget would require the political sign off of the Cabinet - the economics would be left to the Chancellor - that's their remit.

I'm inclined to the view May thought the NiC issue wouldn't get the traction it did but the way she threw Hammond under the proverbial bus was enlightening. Even more than Cameron, May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity. The thought of people and especially those she sees as prospective Conservative voters (everyone except me and the mad cat lady who lives four doors down the street) not liking her is anathema.

The problem with that is you can't please (or fool) all the people all the time. There are occasions when the unpopular thing is actually the correct thing - being liked or having high poll ratings isn't the same as doing a good job.

She doesn't seem to be taking this approach when it comes to Brexit though....
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

A very long read, and fascinating to read the factual details of the intricate planning.

Could have been done without the Guardian's typical negative view of the monarchy intertwined with it though.
    Guardian's negativity pales in insignificance to the pasting Wills and Kate "Antoinette" have been getting in the Mail and Sun this week.
    Yeah. It makes me wonder if the Mail have something else.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tele reporting that Phil Hammond had Theresa May's well aimed stiletto dug into him!

Maggie's handbag Vs Theresa stiletto? :smiley:

Its not a smiley moment at all. This is a decent chancellor trying to do the right thing who has been undermined, and is now being subject to the forces of hell by the rabid press and No 10. Its making me feel quite ill to be honest... Hammond seems to be the new Alistair Darling.
    Hammond brought all this on himself. He broke the manifesto commitment and he failed to consult. If he had consulted he would have realized he didn't have the numbers to get this through... Quite obviously a large number of Tory MP's were going to combine with DUP MP's and the government didn't have the numbers.

May quite wisely realized this and told Hammond to buck his ideas up... If he'd lost a parliamentary vote on NIC'c that really would have been resignation time.

May saw the headlines in the right wing press and buckled.

• Options
    stodge said:

May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity.

That's just what the Police Federation & President Obama said.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775

I suspect people are overanalysing this. It slipped through/they thought they could wing it. When it started looking tricky, having learnt from the Dave & George Cornish Pastie Horror Show decided - together - a quick climb down was in order and Hammond would have another rummage down the back of the sofa by the Autumn.

Media organisations aren't keen on 'government shambles' stories being shut down....so they're trying to keep it going.

The government's opponents are running with 'disorganisation and lack of backbone augers badly for BREXIT' stories, while supporters, naturally think 'flexibility and willingness to listen' augurs well....

I mostly agree. Philip Hammond took the blame so Theresa May didn't have to. We shouldn't be surprised. If she doesn't show her support for him in other ways however, she risks alienating yet another colleague. She has few enough friends already. There's a narrative that hard Brexit factions in her party and amongst the press are gunning for the Chancellor because he hasn't sufficiently bought into the rhetoric. Being seen to appease that faction won't help her deliver the somewhat mitigated Brexit that the success of her premiership depends on.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2017
    Mrs JackW's piano playing has been less than tuneful recently .... perhaps she has been sticking gold rather than the hammers recently.

Hhhmmm ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-39282466
  • Options

Probably the best one was to a friend who works at an estate agent and the driver confirmed delivery with a signature at 2:30AM

My favourite

'Overly enthusiastic' delivery man surprises customer by leaving his parcel waiting for him on the ROOF

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328577/Overly-enthusiastic-delivery-man-surprises-customer-leaving-parcel-waiting-ROOF.html
  • Options
    stodge said:

The notion a Prime Minister (or indeed an entire Cabinet) can be wholly ignorant of a Chancellor's Budget statement before he or she stands up in the Commons is absurd.

The Budget would require the political sign off of the Cabinet - the economics would be left to the Chancellor - that's their remit.

I'm inclined to the view May thought the NiC issue wouldn't get the traction it did but the way she threw Hammond under the proverbial bus was enlightening. Even more than Cameron, May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity. The thought of people and especially those she sees as prospective Conservative voters (everyone except me and the mad cat lady who lives four doors down the street) not liking her is anathema.

The problem with that is you can't please (or fool) all the people all the time. There are occasions when the unpopular thing is actually the correct thing - being liked or having high poll ratings isn't the same as doing a good job.

Didn't Andrew Rawnsley reference that in one of his books?
    Iirc one year the only thing Brown would tell Blair was what date the budget would be on.
    It was revenge for Blair leaking Brown's white rabbit the year before on one of the Sunday shows.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Karanka sacked.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    RobD said:

stodge said:

You are making the assumption Brexit is the "correct thing" rather than the "popular thing"
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    JackW said:

Mrs JackW's piano playing has been less than tuneful recently .... perhaps she has been sticking gold rather than the hammers recently.

Hhhmmm ....

For a moment I thought the link might be to this story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39285486

How many gold rings does Mrs W have? ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    The Queen has signed.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Good news.

Yet more good positive news on overseas investment. It's almost as if large non-EU companies see Britain as a successful nation in the future.
    Good news for South Derbyshire. Although any more staff will make the A50/A38 rouundabout even busier at shift changes, damn them. ;)

An anecdote: in the late 1980s the wife of one of my dad's workmen started an evening course in spoken Japanese, on a whim. Shortly after she finished the course the Burnaston plant was announced by Toyota, and she applied for a job. She was one of the first employees to be employed there (I think they wanted locals for PR purposes), and went from being a receptionist/secretary to management before she retired.

Not bad for a housewife!
    Obviously congratulations are (?were) due to the lady, but bearing in mind Liam Fox’ recent remarks about doing away with workers rights, do these large organsations think it worthwhile to come here and pay a small-ish tariff because they will be operating in a worker-unfriendly country.
    Do you have a link to Fox's remarks? I missed them. TIA.
    It was a quote ex the FT in something else, possibly the Indie. Can’t find at the moment.
    Beware historical quotes:

Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, in 2012 described some workplace rights as “unsustainable”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-workers-rights-cuts-ministers-margot-james-eu-holiday-a7249716.html

The PM has been consistent on this.....and much as Labour & the SNP would love a scare I doubt you'll find anything from Fox in his current role....
    Know what you mean but it was much more recent.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Borough, for a moment I thought you'd written "The Queen has resigned". My gast was flabbered.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Karanka sacked.

The Queen has signed.

Blimey .... You have to admire the old gal taking on that thankless job ....
  • Options
    La Reyne le veult.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

The monarchy is currently living on good will towards HMQ personally. Après elle, le déluge, and it is indicative of the thickness and complacency of Chas n Wills and their advisers that they are not trying a little bit harder to look like attractive people in their own right. There will be monarchy refs, certainly in the colonies and very probably here.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Technical question, sort of - life is busy and I'm awlays happy to read PB headers and skim the comments elow the line, but I almost never have time to sit down and listen to a podcast, so the admirable effort in making them completely passes me by, even when it sounds interesting, as it often does. Is that unusual, and most of you are keenly listening?

Not unusual at all. A transcript, if anyone's offering, would be marvellous.
  • Options

La Reyne le veult.

Do you think the Queen will give team talks in Norman French ?
  • Options

My favourite

'Overly enthusiastic' delivery man surprises customer by leaving his parcel waiting for him on the ROOF

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328577/Overly-enthusiastic-delivery-man-surprises-customer-leaving-parcel-waiting-ROOF.html
    Last year I ordered a mobile phone for someone who didn't have a card for use online.
    I got delivered a box about the size of a small filing cabinet.
    This turned out to be a lockable prescription cabinet that should have gone to a GP surgery near Finchley.

When I returned this cabinet to the local courier depot and retrieved the phone, I had some manager there getting all stroppy demanding to know how this cabinet was in my possession.

"Because you soppy c*nts delivered it to me!"

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Karanka sacked.

Steve McClaren is available...
  • Options

JackW said:

Hhhmmm ....

For a moment I thought the link might be to this story:

How many gold rings does Mrs W have? ;)
    I'll ask .... :smile:
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Netherlands
    As parliamentary seats are allocated in exact proportion to a party's vote share, the VVD will need to go into coalition with three other parties.

Nightmare.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Karanka sacked.

Wot .... A job swap with HM ?!?

The wally with the brolly becomes a molly !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

The Queen has signed.

Has she singed the King of Spain's beard?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

A couple of weeks ago the delivery man woke me up knocking on the front door to ask me to take a parcel for my next door neighbour. I signed the form and took the parcel. Two mins later I got a text to say "We tried to deliver your parcel but you weren't in, so we left it w your neighbour".. checked the parcel and it was for me!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Netherlands
    As parliamentary seats are allocated in exact proportion to a party's vote share, the VVD will need to go into coalition with three other parties.

Nightmare.

Why is it a nightmare ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Technical question, sort of - life is busy and I'm awlays happy to read PB headers and skim the comments elow the line, but I almost never have time to sit down and listen to a podcast, so the admirable effort in making them completely passes me by, even when it sounds interesting, as it often does. Is that unusual, and most of you are keenly listening?

Not unusual at all. A transcript, if anyone's offering, would be marvellous.
    If a full transcript cannot be made available, then some podcasts give approximate times various segments begin.

But the podcast is well worth a listen to if you have the time.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712
    Ishmael_Z said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

The monarchy is currently living on good will towards HMQ personally. Après elle, le déluge, and it is indicative of the thickness and complacency of Chas n Wills and their advisers that they are not trying a little bit harder to look like attractive people in their own right. There will be monarchy refs, certainly in the colonies and very probably here.
    I agree. The Monarchy has to justify it's existance. At the moment it's not in doubt, but as soon as Charles is King, then they're be questions.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Karanka sacked.

Aitor Karanka de la Hoz is a former footballer who played mainly as a central
    defender and the former manager of English club Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

One wonders whether even the pink newsreader lady in Pyongyang will intonate all this ceremony in a way that suggests she thinks these Brits are totally mad.

And, as with the Olympics, it will be the feeling that we are, indeed, slightly bonkers, that will be the emotion most likely to get to me and swell the pride in my chest.
    Apparently the Chinese TV commentators were enthusiastically explaining the whole opening ceremony to their viewers until the queen parachuted out of the helicopter....another observed that this was the night the world went 'okaaay.....and edged slightly away...'

It’s hard to imagine any other nation willing to make so much fun of itself on a global stage, in front of as many as a billion viewers. It takes nerve to look silly; the cheesy, kaleidoscopic history lesson that took Britain through its past, from pasture through the workhouses and smoke stacks of the Industrial Revolution to World War I and, of course, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” was like a Bollywood version of a sixth-grade play.

But bad taste is also a part of the British heritage. The imagery mixed the glory of a royal Jubilee with the grottiness of a Manchester pub-crawl. Britain offered a display of humor and humbleness that can only stem from a deep-rooted sense of superiority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/olympics/at-olympic-opening-ceremony-britain-journeys-through-past.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited March 2017

The Queen has signed.

I misread that for a second as The Queen has resigned
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Sandpit said:

Good news.

While trade barriers might under the conventional economic paradigm be seen as a bad thing generally, that paradigm owes much to the weight given to international competition in empowering consumers in globalised markets. In practice, in a country with an endemic balance of payments deficit, there is some merit in the introduction of selective tariffs between the market that is pretty well solely responsible for that balance of payments deficit while aiming to reach trade deals elsewhere. The point is: if Renaults, VWs, Skodas etc are going to become less competitively priced in the UK, maybe the opportunity opened up in UK markets for import substitution will at least match and maybe exceed the losses in exports. Car manufacturers based in the UK will become very competitive in UK car markets.

One other thought: Maybe May and Hammond were prepared to back away from the problem of growing losses of revenue from self employment because they were mindful that the gap might be plugged by the revenue that seems likely to come their way from tariffs on EU imports, something they'd prefer not to shout from the rooftops for now.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently the Chinese TV commentators were enthusiastically explaining the whole opening ceremony to their viewers until the queen parachuted out of the helicopter....another observed that this was the night the world went 'okaaay.....and edged slightly away...'

It’s hard to imagine any other nation willing to make so much fun of itself on a global stage, in front of as many as a billion viewers. It takes nerve to look silly; the cheesy, kaleidoscopic history lesson that took Britain through its past, from pasture through the workhouses and smoke stacks of the Industrial Revolution to World War I and, of course, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” was like a Bollywood version of a sixth-grade play.

But bad taste is also a part of the British heritage. The imagery mixed the glory of a royal Jubilee with the grottiness of a Manchester pub-crawl. Britain offered a display of humor and humbleness that can only stem from a deep-rooted sense of superiority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/olympics/at-olympic-opening-ceremony-britain-journeys-through-past.html

Mr Bean on the piano was the highlight for me.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Netherlands

Nightmare.

Why is it a nightmare ?
    Hard for a government to agree what to do.

Compromise is not always best when decisive action is needed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

tlg86 said:

Karanka sacked.

So is Alex Neil.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Totally O/T but on the subject of gin, my wife & I went on Saturday to a local food festival, and were struck with number of ‘artisan’ gin stalls. Normally there are a few alcohol stalls, mostly wine, but this time there must have been four of five small-scale gin producers. My wife is currently working her way through the product of one of them. Slowly, I should add!

And this lunch-time we’re going out to lunch at a local pub which makes a feature of the different varieties of gin it has on offer.
    Sadly I shall be driving.

Do you not have taxis in Essex, Mr. Cole?

There has indeed been a very rapid growth in the number of these artisan gin distilleries in very short space of time. So much so that I am suspicious. I wonder if the excise people are really on top of the game and how much of the stuff is dirt cheap gin imported, rebottled with a fancy label and flogged on with a 100% mark-up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

The Queen has signed.

Okay, so the champagne can move from the fridge to the ice bucket. It's not getting opened until Mrs May sends that letter to Brussels though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

The Queen has signed.

Same here! Moment of panic then.
  • Options
    JackW said:

La Reyne le veult.

More Norman Tebbit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

The Queen has signed.

Surely she would have abdicated rather than resigned?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

Ishmael_Z said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

I agree. The Monarchy has to justify it's existance. At the moment it's not in doubt, but as soon as Charles is King, then they're be questions.
    People said the same about Edward VII.

One thing to remember about the monarchy is that (almost) each regeneration of the sovereign begins in a wave of popular sympathy: their parent has just died.

Charles will do fine as a king. He'll modernise some things and, as he does so, people will accept that some things needed modernising.

The trick of the survival of the monarchy is to be constantly about 30 years behind the times.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,058

Totally O/T but on the subject of gin, my wife & I went on Saturday to a local food festival, and were struck with number of ‘artisan’ gin stalls. Normally there are a few alcohol stalls, mostly wine, but this time there must have been four of five small-scale gin producers. My wife is currently working her way through the product of one of them. Slowly, I should add!

And this lunch-time we’re going out to lunch at a local pub which makes a feature of the different varieties of gin it has on offer.

There has indeed been a very rapid growth in the number of these artisan gin distilleries in very short space of time. So much so that I am suspicious. I wonder if the excise people are really on top of the game and how much of the stuff is dirt cheap gin imported, rebottled with a fancy label and flogged on with a 100% mark-up.
    One of my former colleagues became a part time artisanal gin maker. It turns out to be pretty simple. You buy alcohol, add 'botanicals', pay duty, and then spend a lot of time trying to persuade bars and restaraunts to stock your gin.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Sandpit said:

The Queen has signed.

Well yes, but colloquial reporting of such an event might not use appropriate terminology,
  • Options

The Queen has signed.

Give the woman a chance. PB has only just reported that she signed as Middlesboro manager .... surely we can only speculate on a resignation when she gets the dreaded "vote of confidence".

I also doubt the Queen will resign. She doesn't do abdication.
  • Options

JackW said:

La Reyne le veult.

More Norman Tebbit.
    On yer bike ....
  • Options

We do have taxis, but in our relatively rural area they are a bit few and far between.

On your second point I suspect there’s some of that. Went, a few weeks ago, to a 'Gin Dinner’ at the pub down the road; where marination and sauces were appropriate gin was used, and the sorbet was a gin-and-tonic one. Between courses we had a talk on gin, with (sadly) small tasters.all from a gin producer in a nearby town, who claimed, IIRC, that they distilled and prepared it themselves. However another such producer I was talking to later asserted that they imported or otherwise brought in the basics and did little or no distilling themselves.
    Distilling, from my chemistry days is easier in theory than practice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

CDA ?

There simply aren't the numbers for much else.

Intriguingly the Animal Rights party gets the VVD-D66 (I assume coalition) - perhaps with CDA support to 75. So that might be a very good thing.

I'd like that, of course! The Animals Party is an interesting niche phenomenon (maybe the oldies party is too, don't know much about them) of the kind you get in a PR system. They are made up of very dedicated activists who feel that what's done to animals (factory farms, extreme experiments, etc.) is so appalling that it needs to be given priority. They would potentially be up for a deal if they got a major concession in those areas. The problem for them is that the activists are instinctively also very left-wing and anti-establishment, so becoming part of the Government's support base would be really counter-intuitive for them - kind of like Peter Tatchell promising to support the Tories on everything else if they did what he wants on the LGBT rights.

Conversely I know right-wing Dutch animal rights people who agonise over this - they really want to support the Party for the Animals but they want to be tough on welfare, immigrants, etc. too, which the party wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Good analysis here:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-02/in-the-netherlands-a-party-for-animals-is-winning-over-voters
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    JackW said:

La Reyne le veult.

Nope, robust Anglo Saxon de rigeur (or whatever the Anglo Saxon for de rigeur is).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Queen has signed.

Ptivate Eye would have you getting Charles all over-excited!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Netherlands

Nightmare.

Why is it a nightmare ?
    Hard for a government to agree what to do.

Compromise is not always best when decisive action is needed.
    What exactly does the Netherlands need decisive action on though ?

It's a prosperous nation facing no imminent crisis. Supporters of all parties except DENK support Rutte's line on Turkey/Erdogan, and they are definitely not leaving the EU any time soon.
    They've bowled along happily with coalitions since forever and a few sops to either pensioners (50+) or animal rights should see their budgets through. Interestingly Groene Linke supported the 3% fiscal compact back in the 2012-17 government, so they might be a potential confidence supplier too.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Good news.

While trade barriers might under the conventional economic paradigm be seen as a bad thing generally, that paradigm owes much to the weight given to international competition in empowering consumers in globalised markets. In practice, in a country with an endemic balance of payments deficit, there is some merit in the introduction of selective tariffs between the market that is pretty well solely responsible for that balance of payments deficit while aiming to reach trade deals elsewhere. The point is: if Renaults, VWs, Skodas etc are going to become less competitively priced in the UK, maybe the opportunity opened up in UK markets for import substitution will at least match and maybe exceed the losses in exports. Car manufacturers based in the UK will become very competitive in UK car markets.

One other thought: Maybe May and Hammond were prepared to back away from the problem of growing losses of revenue from self employment because they were mindful that the gap might be plugged by the revenue that seems likely to come their way from tariffs on EU imports, something they'd prefer not to shout from the rooftops for now.
    Balance of payment deficits are the consequence of consumers spending too much and saving too little. Switzerland has expensive labour, an expensive currency, free trade with almost everyone (including China) and a large balance of payments surplus. Why? Because its savings rate is something like 12-13% of GDP.

Spain has gone from a huge trade deficit to a reasonable trade surplus. Why? Because it's gone from a low savings rate to a high one.

Countries with balance of payment deficits - notably the US and the UK - have low savings rates. Countries with supluses - like Germany, Switzerland and China - have high savings rates.

UK governments, since the GFC, have followed a policies designed to depress the UK savings rate. This has kept consumption up, and the economy humming, but at the expense of ever increasing inbalances.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited March 2017
    JackW said:

The Queen has signed.

Give the woman a chance. PB has only just reported that she signed as Middlesboro manager .... surely we can only speculate on a resignation when she gets the dreaded "vote of confidence".

I also doubt the Queen will resign. She doesn't do abdication.
    Not many people truly know how to do "on and on and on....."

EDIT Present company excepted, of course Jack
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

I'm not sure I follow.

At the moment, everyone's expectations and desires for our life outside the EU sit with her, "Global Britain" is a meaningless platitude but as such it satisfies the internationalists, the xenophobes and all in between. Arguably we were "Global Britain" until 1973 but as no one under 65 remembers that, the modern connotation can mean anything to anyone.

Thus does May keep her stratospheric approval ratings, by doing nothing and saying the kind of things anyone and everyone can't help but support. "I want the best for Britain" - who can possibly argue with that ? Even if Corbyn were Prime Minister, he'd say that. The PM has to be the ultimate cheerleader for the country - anything less and they would be swept from office.

The problem is while A50 will be dressed up by May and her propagandists as a triumph for her and for Britain (what else could they say ?) on the scale of Dunkirk (which was in reality a dreadful military defeat saved from catastrophe by Hitler's own bunglings and the gallant British (and French) rearguard), the truth will be different. Yes, we will get some of what we want but in other areas, the EU will get what it wants and that might not be wholly to Britain's advantage but those things will be masked and ignored in favour of the "wins".

That's how politics works, my friend. May is no different from Blair and Cameron in her desire not to pick a fight with her own side. That's sensible but as we've argued on here, the unwillingness of Conservatives to look at the triple-lock enjoyed by pensioners hampers attempts to control the public finances in general. Throwing money at the NHS and education without internal reform is no different to a Labour policy in truth.
  • Options
    Read it and weep...

In 2015, the Dutch government ran a budget deficit of over 12 billion euros, i.e. 3 billion euros lower than in 2014. At 1.8 percent of GDP, last year's budget deficit means the Netherlands remained below the 3 percent reference value for the third consecutive year.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

kle4 said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

So goodnight Gerrt and good riddance.

A great day to be part of the liberal elite or whatever the cat fetishing fascists call it these days.

Calling someone here a fascist, despite how thinly veiled, just isn't really cricket.
    On the other hand, being called a cat fetishist is a compliment.
    There is something seriously wrong with a person if they don't love kittens!
    Roasted or fried ?
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and coming from you, Sir, I am honoured as well as flattered. (see 9.30am)
    You two are barbarians. Does no one else steam things?
    Kittens should be roasted after stuffing with sage & thyme. Do not baste them as they tend to be rather greasy. As an option, pierce the meat and squeeze lemon juice over it as this assists with the breakdown of excess fats (rather like doing kleftiko)

175C at 30 mins per 454g weight

:D:D:D
    I am pretty sure I have had Kleftiko made with - how can I put this? - something other than the advertised ingredients!
    Traditionally, the main ingredient is stolen sheep. I have been told that kleftiko is Greek for "stolen"

What did you use?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

A great day to be part of the liberal elite or whatever the cat fetishing fascists call it these days.

Calling someone here a fascist, despite how thinly veiled, just isn't really cricket.
    Roasted or fried ?
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and coming from you, Sir, I am honoured as well as flattered. (see 9.30am)
    Kittens should be roasted after stuffing with sage & thyme. Do not baste them as they tend to be rather greasy. As an option, pierce the meat and squeeze lemon juice over it as this assists with the breakdown of excess fats (rather like doing kleftiko)

Gas mark 4 30mins/lb in old money... :smiley:
    As a europhile remoaner cook, I am strictly metric.

When it comes to cooking measurement, the one true abomination is "cups"
  • Options

stodge said:

Another comment I don't understand. One of the problems of this site is it becomes very cliquey and full of references to what one poster might or might not have said years ago.

10 years ago this site only had 10 posters - we were Gods among men (and indeed women). As the colossi or old, we ruled the waves of debate changing the political landscape with but a single sentence or emoticon.

Happier times...

No, still don't know what you are on about.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,915
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

This looks fun

Gerry sues the Beeb, maybe he can use Jezza as a character witness

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/adams-suing-bbc-over-claims-he-sanctioned-killing-35536069.html

Would it be possible to lower Gerry Adams' reputation among right-thinking people?
    What would be the Irish equivalent of a shilling?
    Who says Gerry Adams doesn't have a sense of humour?

If he meets Donald Trump on his coming visit to America, he plans to express concern about the President's treatment of women.
  • Options
    Larry's thinking long term, no mouse equals no Downing Street cat

https://twitter.com/PoliticalPics/status/842329892696006656
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, the savings rate hasn't been assisted by the Bank of England keeping rates at 0.5% for so long and then cutting them. They should rise forthwith and posthaste.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

What's you view on the earlier thread discussion on dead cat bait for Fen eel fishing ?

Do you take the position that deceased moggy make an appropriate and entirely correct contribution in sustaining an endangered and skilled rural craft or should the recycling of pussy be outlawed as an outdated country pursuit without meaning in the brave new world of the Labour Party animal right movement?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

This looks fun

Gerry sues the Beeb, maybe he can use Jezza as a character witness

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/adams-suing-bbc-over-claims-he-sanctioned-killing-35536069.html

Would it be possible to lower Gerry Adams' reputation among right-thinking people?
    What would be the Irish equivalent of a shilling?
    Who says Gerry Adams doesn't have a sense of humour?

If he meets Donald Trump on his coming visit to America, he plans to express concern about the President's treatment of women.
    I wonder if President Trump will raise Jean McConville with Gerry Adams.
  • Options

We do have taxis, but in our relatively rural area they are a bit few and far between.

On your second point I suspect there’s some of that. Went, a few weeks ago, to a 'Gin Dinner’ at the pub down the road; where marination and sauces were appropriate gin was used, and the sorbet was a gin-and-tonic one. Between courses we had a talk on gin, with (sadly) small tasters.all from a gin producer in a nearby town, who claimed, IIRC, that they distilled and prepared it themselves. However another such producer I was talking to later asserted that they imported or otherwise brought in the basics and did little or no distilling themselves.
    Distilling, from my chemistry days is easier in theory than practice.
    Thanks, Mr. Cole I am certain commercial distilling is very difficult to do. To keep the excise people happy the process must produce alcohol of consistent strength and that requires careful control applied at all stages everytime.

I am grateful to yourself and Mr. Robert for confirming my suspicion that much of the artisan gin now been sold is rebottled cheap alcohol, possibly with some additional flavouring, flogged on at a massive mark-up.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Roasted or fried ?

Bone china, pottery or bra ?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017

The Queen has signed.

Has she complained yet about how the Sun quoted her in favour of Brexit on its front page the day before the referendum, thereby winning it for Leave? Talk about an "enemy of the people"!

• Options

Mr. 1000, the savings rate hasn't been assisted by the Bank of England keeping rates at 0.5% for so long and then cutting them. They should rise forthwith and posthaste.

Its not entirely that though is it ? The ECB has also had low rates.

I bought a new suit on Sunday. Feeling in a particularly frivolous mood I splashed out on wool rather than a polyester one...
    Yet I think people go to the shops and spend eye watering amounts of money they don't have every week !
  • Options

I agree. Really low interest rates also encourage misallocation of capital, storing up problems for the future.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Day 3 Cheltenham. Two bets.

Ryanair Chase 2.50. Uxizandre each way. Winner of this race in 2015 and 2nd here in 2014 over a similar trip he should be there or thereabouts.

Stayers Hurdle 3.30. Snow Falcoln each way. Said to be going well when falling behind the favourite for this race Unowhatimeanharry last November. Has the beating of Shaneshill on the form book last time out. Shaneshill is a great Cheltenham yardstick having come 2nd in each of the last 3 festivals.
  • Options

Larry's thinking long term, no mouse equals no Downing Street cat

https://twitter.com/PoliticalPics/status/842329892696006656

I can't help thinking electorate eyes Jezza ....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Good news.

If carmakers based in the UK import parts from elsewhere in Europe they will also be paying tariffs. If they make most of their cars for the non-UK market, their costs will increase substantially - to the point where they may feel they are better off locating somewhere else. What we may well see in the car market is price increases across the board and jobs moving elsewhere.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,783
    An angle grinder...

My legs are still firmly crossed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    (deleted)
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Roasted or fried ?

Any of them.

I use the Metric Cup but some recipes use a "Customary Cup" (which is smaller) or an "Imperial cup" which is larger. There is an Australian Cup, a US Cup, etc, etc... all different sizes.

Now bra cups... this is a whole new conversation. It varies by manufacturer and your size may have to change depending on whether you are talking T-Shirt bra, Balcony bra, Strapless bra, push-up bra, and so forth. Where would you like to start Mr W?

• Options
    Seems that today's a day of technical problems. *sighs*
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    F1: McLaren explore possibility of a Mercedes engine:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

Edited extra bit: McLaren's also signed Hakkinen as an ambassador. Interesting, as they already have Button. But, it seems, Button is a Honda chap... [so sayeth Twitter, so take with a pinch of salt].
  • Options
    Good afternoon all. Sir Jeff has suggested it's Arlene or nobody as First Minister. I make nobody a heavy favourite in that particular two-horse race.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Letter Bomb exploded at IMF in Paris.

Apparently, in addition reported now the German finance ministry in Berlin intercepted a parcel bomb sent to Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble on Wednesday.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Ryanair Chase 2.50. Uxizandre each way. Winner of this race in 2015 and 2nd here in 2014 over a similar trip he should be there or thereabouts.

Stayers Hurdle 3.30. Snow Falcoln each way. Said to be going well when falling behind the favourite for this race Unowhatimeanharry last November. Has the beating of Shaneshill on the form book last time out. Shaneshill is a great Cheltenham yardstick having come 2nd in each of the last 3 festivals.

Un De Sceaux for me in the Ryanair, I've followed you in on Snow Falcon though :>.
  • Options

JackW said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Roasted or fried ?

Any of them.

I use the Metric Cup but some recipes use a "Customary Cup" (which is smaller) or an "Imperial cup" which is larger. There is an Australian Cup, a US Cup, etc, etc... all different sizes.

Now bra cups... this is a whole new conversation. It varies by manufacturer and your size may have to change depending on whether you are talking T-Shirt bra, Balcony bra, Strapless bra, push-up bra, and so forth. Where would you like to start Mr W?

It's most awfully kind of you to ask for my appreciation of your bra dispositions but without recourse to a most thorough and exhaustive examination of same and environs therein I must reluctantly demur .... Mrs JackW advises me .... :smiley:
  • Options
    No word yet on Dupont-Aignan's effort at the Conseil d'Etat this morning to stop TF1 inviting only five candidates to its TV debate next Monday.

Will Explicite's debate on Facebook, scheduled 1.5 hours before the TF1 one, and to which it is inviting all candidates, go ahead? (#LAutreDébat).
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Another comment I don't understand.
    "May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/21/theresa-may-police-federation-power

The home secretary stunned delegates at the Police Federation conference in Bournemouth as she criticised officers for in some instances displaying a "contempt for the public" in their handling of sensitive cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/16/gary-mckinnon-not-extradited-may

The home secretary, Theresa May, defied the American authorities on Tuesday by halting the extradition of British computer hacker Gary McKinnon, a decision criticised by the US state department
  • Options
    Culture Secretary Karen Bradley asks regulators to examine Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox's takeover bid for Sky

Uncle Rup won't be happy.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Pulpstar said:

stjohn said:

Un De Sceaux for me in the Ryanair, I've followed you in on Snow Falcon though :>.
    Good luck to us both!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Re: the Dutch elections. Much of the mainstream news along with several European leaders are breathing a sigh of relief that the 'populist' failed to win whilst ignoring that fact that the losers yet again are the mainstream parties. The problem with this is the overwhelming message seems to be that everything is fine and we continue as before. I'm unconvinced that this is right for the Europe of today. There really is a dangerous level of complacency here when an extremist party comes a very respectable 2nd and everyone thinks 'panic over'!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Leavers 50 - 0 Remainers

• Options

Culture Secretary Karen Bradley asks regulators to examine Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox's takeover bid for Sky

Uncle Rup won't be happy.

Good
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

Letter Bomb exploded at IMF in Paris.

Brexit department can't even address an envelope correctly...
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Another comment I don't understand."May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity"

"We don't do panic", "He doesn't do resignation", "She doesn't do unpopularity" - file under lazy unthinking journalistic pillock-phrases. Theresa May has a managed image. Hold the front page.

• Options
    felix said:

Re: the Dutch elections. Much of the mainstream news along with several European leaders are breathing a sigh of relief that the 'populist' failed to win whilst ignoring that fact that the losers yet again are the mainstream parties. The problem with this is the overwhelming message seems to be that everything is fine and we continue as before. I'm unconvinced that this is right for the Europe of today. There really is a dangerous level of complacency here when an extremist party comes a very respectable 2nd and everyone thinks 'panic over'!

Rutte took a perfectly sensible line regarding the Erdogan situation and has been justly rewarded (VVD outperformed polling) by the electorate.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Pulpstar said:

felix said:

Rutte took a perfectly sensible line regarding the Erdogan situation and has been justly rewarded (VVD outperformed polling) by the electorate.
    By losing 8 seats. You have to be a LD with that kind of logic.
  • Options
    "Traditionally, the main ingredient is stolen sheep. I have been told that kleftiko is Greek for "stolen""

When I was out there the Cypriots translated Kleftiko as "meat made by thieves", whether the making referred to the cooking method or how the meat was acquired I never asked. Traditionally the method of cooking involved digging a hole slightly larger than the clay put in which the meat had been marinating overnight. Fill the hole with wood and leave it to burn through so that the base of the hole is covered with the hot embers. Seal the pot's lid with bread dough, place in the hole, and cover with earth of turf. Leave for about 12-15 hours. Delicious.

On a side note, it is interesting how the roots of some words card across into other languages in surprising ways. The greek for "steal" is "klévo" and a thief is "kléftis". When I was in the army a lot of expressions from from Hindi and Urdu were still in use (some still are as far as I can make out) and a thief was known as a "Klifty-Wallah".
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Another comment I don't understand.
    "May wants to be liked and doesn't do unpopularity"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/21/theresa-may-police-federation-power

The home secretary stunned delegates at the Police Federation conference in Bournemouth as she criticised officers for in some instances displaying a "contempt for the public" in their handling of sensitive cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/16/gary-mckinnon-not-extradited-may

The home secretary, Theresa May, defied the American authorities on Tuesday by halting the extradition of British computer hacker Gary McKinnon, a decision criticised by the US state department

Both moves cheered to the rooftops by the right wing press.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

F1: McLaren explore possibility of a Mercedes engine:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

Edited extra bit: McLaren's also signed Hakkinen as an ambassador. Interesting, as they already have Button. But, it seems, Button is a Honda chap... [so sayeth Twitter, so take with a pinch of salt].

Wouldn't surprise me if Honda are paying Button's wages - after all he was with them before and would have won the world championship with them if they hadn't left F1...
This discussion has been closed.