Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Corbyn continues he’ll be remembered as the selfish bed-blo

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

The Corbyn Labour story is boring. There is no new information and there hasn't been for months (with the exception of Copeland - which wasn't a massive surprise)

Looking more broadly, the polls suggest a wider range of stories. The fact the Lib Dems are stuck despite Labour's woes deserves some examination.

It does my own personal thoughts were that Labour supporters were now starting to vote Lib Dem tactically again . After in their eyes the betrayal of the coalition with the conservatives in government.Maybe I am wrong as the polls suggest .
    I don't think the polls necessarily pick up tactical voting that well. It was the tactical unwind that did for the LDs in the south along with the 'fear of a jock planet' campaign.

There's a distinct prospect neither of these issues will resonate in quite the same way in 2018/19/20. The polls are surely understating LD strength in their core targets. May (month) may give us a clue.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    eek said:

More Grammar Schools or it could be the bit about having to tamper with admission criteria to stop Grammar school entry being gamed by those who would otherwise be paying for a private education...

Either way I can't think of a political story that was good for the Government this week.

Week in week out the political story that will continue to provide the government with an ace in the hole is Corbyn.

Whilst Jezza remains as LotO the Conservatives are safe despite all and every difficulty the government find themselves in.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

While the membership wants him in place, Corbyn's not really a bedblocker is he? He's just serving at their pleasure.

Presumably as a leader it's his job to sometimes tell his supporters he is not the answer.
    Corbyn: "Just feck off!"

Lab membership: "How shall we feck off, O Lord?"
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    kle4 said:

In all seriousness the labour brand is too strong to die, that's why no one of significance has jumped ship, but I do think we are for once genuinely at the no credible opposition stage. I really try to listen to as many sides as possible, I do, and I will say that I'm not especially impressed by May and corbyn, like anyone, can come up with a good idea sometimes. But while I was relaxed about ed m being pm, I would without hesitation vote Tory over labour right now if it came down to it. It undermines any good points the opposition makes because well done them, but I could not imagine, at present, supporting even a labour led coalition under corbyn.

When Corbyn goes there will I think be a significant bounce (provided the next leader is not Rayner, Long-Bailey or McDonnell). The question is whether that bounce can be sustained.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

kle4 said:

In all seriousness the labour brand is too strong to die, that's why no one of significance has jumped ship, but I do think we are for once genuinely at the no credible opposition stage. I really try to listen to as many sides as possible, I do, and I will say that I'm not especially impressed by May and corbyn, like anyone, can come up with a good idea sometimes. But while I was relaxed about ed m being pm, I would without hesitation vote Tory over labour right now if it came down to it. It undermines any good points the opposition makes because well done them, but I could not imagine, at present, supporting even a labour led coalition under corbyn.

When Corbyn goes there will I think be a significant bounce (provided the next leader is not Rayner, Long-Bailey or McDonnell). The question is whether that bounce can be sustained.
    Indeed. A less than catastrophic leader and sone problems among the Tories, who despite uniting over Brexit are clearly not in a great place, and they could do surprisingly well.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,973

Mr. F, were there two battles of Mantinea? The one I recall was when Epaminondas led the Thebans to victory over Sparta.

The first battle in 418 BC was a Spartan victory over Athens' allies in the South.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    You really have to be quite dim to be savaged by Andrew Marr, but she's managed it.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    kle4 said:

What is the Labour brand these days?

Corbyn has brought the fruitcake further to the fore, but that is all.

How was his predecessor viewed by the public? How did the Labour vote go in 2015 on a region by region basis?

Labour have been simultaneously dismissed as too right wing by the Scots and too left wing by the English, and increasingly the Welsh.

• Options
    Who is this Rebecca Long-Bailey - Marr making her look clueless on tax
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

tlg86 said:

Mr. 86, I didn't say the Lib Dems would make gains everywhere. And you're right Stoke was disappointing. However, in red-yellow seats, the Lib Dems should be rubbing their hands together and looking for substantial progress.

And how many red-yellow seats are there? Is it in double figures?
    The Liblab battlefield is an irrelevance. As ever, the Libdems need to target winnable Tory seats where they remain the main alternative.
    The LibDems alternative is as Sensible Labour - a solid, dependable centre-left Party that can impose it's will on Tory coalition partners until it is able to kill off Labour and one day get majority Govt. on its own.

Or they can continue to fanny about, trying to be all things to all voters.
    Your last sentence neatly sums up the area of risk the Tories are currently operating in. With May killing any emerging policy of which the tabloids don't approve.

It may paper over the cracks for a while but as soon as real decisions need to be made... But hey, it's not like there are any massive issues to deal with at the moment.
    I think that the LibDems have the potential to win in far more seats than Labour do. I can see the LibDems being a replacement for Labour. But they don't have the right leader, and they don't seem to have the ambition.
    Isn’t it the old story about mistakes. ‘Making a mistake’ requires the ‘mistaker’ to undertake ten equal actions to get to where they were before. So it is the with LibDems. The Coalition was handled somewhat ineptly, and they underestimated the extent to which Cameron and Osborne were prepared to hang them out to dry ....... be given responsibility for apparently bad decisions.
    I fear that Farron get, and will continue to get a bad press because he’s not a ‘metropolitan’; Northerner, went to a Northern, unfashionable, university and so on.
    Taking responsibility for apparently bad decisions is also called "governing". Spreadsheet Phil is finding that out this week.

Farron doesn't get bad press for not being a metropolitan Northerner who went to a Northern, unfashionable university. He gets a bad press for being a knob. Sorry LibDems, but Lamb would have been a far better choice. His contrast with Corbyn would have been startling.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    JackW said:

eek said:

More Grammar Schools or it could be the bit about having to tamper with admission criteria to stop Grammar school entry being gamed by those who would otherwise be paying for a private education...

Either way I can't think of a political story that was good for the Government this week.

Week in week out the political story that will continue to provide the government with an ace in the hole is Corbyn.

Whilst Jezza remains as LotO the Conservatives are safe despite all and every difficulty the government find themselves in.

That may actually be irrelevant. Say Labour replace Jezza with Benn in 2019, Benn would have 2+ years of ammo to use when attacking the Tories.

The fact that attacks aren't been made now may actually do the Tories more harm than good...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

timmo said:

Mr. 86, I didn't say the Lib Dems would make gains everywhere. And you're right Stoke was disappointing. However, in red-yellow seats, the Lib Dems should be rubbing their hands together and looking for substantial progress.

The trouble for the LDs is that they only really seem to be both interested and effective in contests with the Tories. They dont look to have the appetite or machinery to take Lab on for some reason. This could be their undoing
    Hence the strategic disaster of the 2005 "decapitation" strategy, from which they've never recovered.
    Didn't recover to the extent of being in government from 2010-15?
    That ended well.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The hateful right has gone into meltdown because the courts won't let them spread untruths uncorrected. I wonder why.

https://twitter.com/jamesdelingpole/status/840555194949742593
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

F1: only a small note, but I would've expected Vettel's odds to perhaps tighten from 4.5. Instead (Ladbrokes' odds) they've lengthened to 5. Suggests people are unconvinced Ferrari really are up to task.

Right now Hamilton is great value at anything above evens. The main dangers would be either that he gets injured, or that one of his opponents puts their whole team's development focus onto only one car - a la Ferrari and Schumacher a few years ago.
    Mr Sandpit et al

I think you were one of those who commented on my recent trip to North Cyprus. I sent a pic to TSE to upload (no idea if he did) but I did get to see the donkeys at the end of the panhandle. and they liked the carrots we fed them, but there was not a hint of getting a red rosette on them!!

N Cyprus is largely unspoilt and a very pleasant holiday destination. Everyone was polite kind and happy to help. The ruins as Salamis are amazing.
    I don't recall saying anything, but glad you had a good trip. @TSE did post a picture of a donkey that you'd sent him.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032

Either our next PM or a Manc barmaid, depending on to whom you listen.

Can we stop with the ceaseless Wikipedia fuelled regurgitaton of classical history? It's more boring than an AV thread.
  • Options

The hateful right has gone into meltdown because the courts won't let them spread untruths uncorrected. I wonder why.

Being British you would expect him to understand British libel law....
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Lucy Wadham's article in Prospect on Le Pen is total piffle, but in gathering her potpourri from the clippings she stays on-message throughout - the message being "Let's watch Le Pen win". Prospect reminds me of Encounter.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Jonathan said:

Parties do not die.

The Liberals did.
    Jonathan! I never thought you would fall for Tory propaganda so easily!
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, you sound very confident the Mercedes will be the fastest car.

Okay, money where my mouth is - I just put £20 on Lewis at 2.2. ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

tlg86 said:

And how many red-yellow seats are there? Is it in double figures?
    The Liblab battlefield is an irrelevance. As ever, the Libdems need to target winnable Tory seats where they remain the main alternative.
    The LibDems alternative is as Sensible Labour - a solid, dependable centre-left Party that can impose it's will on Tory coalition partners until it is able to kill off Labour and one day get majority Govt. on its own.

Or they can continue to fanny about, trying to be all things to all voters.
    Your last sentence neatly sums up the area of risk the Tories are currently operating in. With May killing any emerging policy of which the tabloids don't approve.

It may paper over the cracks for a while but as soon as real decisions need to be made... But hey, it's not like there are any massive issues to deal with at the moment.
    I think that the LibDems have the potential to win in far more seats than Labour do. I can see the LibDems being a replacement for Labour. But they don't have the right leader, and they don't seem to have the ambition.
    Isn’t it the old story about mistakes. ‘Making a mistake’ requires the ‘mistaker’ to undertake ten equal actions to get to where they were before. So it is the with LibDems. The Coalition was handled somewhat ineptly, and they underestimated the extent to which Cameron and Osborne were prepared to hang them out to dry ....... be given responsibility for apparently bad decisions.
    I fear that Farron get, and will continue to get a bad press because he’s not a ‘metropolitan’; Northerner, went to a Northern, unfashionable, university and so on.
    Taking responsibility for apparently bad decisions is also called "governing". Spreadsheet Phil is finding that out this week.

Farron doesn't get bad press for not being a metropolitan Northerner who went to a Northern, unfashionable university. He gets a bad press for being a knob. Sorry LibDems, but Lamb would have been a far better choice. His contrast with Corbyn would have been startling.
    It wasn’t not taking responsibility; it was shuffling of the responsibility onto them.

However, I suspect, Mr M, that you and I are going have to accept that on politics we are always going to interpret things differently!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Why shouldn't Labour die? It no longer represents the people it was set up to, but many of those people vote for it out of habit. If the 21st century Labour Party had been around 100 years ago it would have encouraged foreign workers to undercut the miners and called those on the Jarrow march xenophobes.

Someone called it a brand and they're right, it's like one of those old bands who still tour crappy nightclubs with none of the original members
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Can we stop with the ceaseless Wikipedia fuelled regurgitaton of classical history? It's more boring than an AV thread.
    She has no idea on economics, but that goes for labour generally
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    eek said:

JackW said:

eek said:

That may actually be irrelevant. Say Labour replace Jezza with Benn in 2019, Benn would have 2+ years of ammo to use when attacking the Tories.

The fact that attacks aren't been made now may actually do the Tories more harm than good...
    What ifs are fine but the reality is Corbyn and the continuing damage he inflicts on Labour and the umbrella he provides for the Tories.

A new non Jezzbolah LotO will stop the bleeding but will the patient be mortally wounded for the 2020 battle? .. Almost certainly.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

When was the last time somebody was burned at the stake in Britain as a heretic?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Jack gave Katie a chance to first correct herself, then donate a small sum to charity (Which Katie Hopkins could well afford). Then she pursued a libel case at considerable time/ potential expense to herself - she's not of endless means (Jack Monroe as I understand) for an amount that in the grand scheme of libel damages (£50,000) is not really all that high.

I'd say she has been the very epitome of reasonableness.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

The UK libel laws are a nuclear response that many, many times have been used for ill.

A bad person being attacked successfully by a bad law is a victory only for the those would would destroy our polis. I thought you wanted to be a LibDem?

Jonathan Aitken, Robert Maxwell etc... well, just read back issues of Private Eye.... do these ring bells?

It is such a bad law that many sensible people in this country, when they hear of a libel victory, assume the victor is direputable.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Feck off. I have invested years of my life in knowing stuff like the dates of the battles of Mantinea without having to look it up. If you don't like it, take it up with TSE.

If you have formed the erroneous impression that we are obliquely mocking you for having studied a toy subject at a pretend university, I can assure you that no offence was intended.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Dura_Ace said:

When was the last time somebody was burned at the stake in Britain as a heretic?
    Edward Wightman 1612.
  • Options
    isam said:

Why shouldn't Labour die? It no longer represents the people it was set up to, but many of those people vote for it out of habit. If the 21st century Labour Party had been around 100 years ago it would have encouraged foreign workers to undercut the miners and called those on the Jarrow march xenophobes.

Someone called it a brand and they're right, it's like one of those old bands who still tour crappy nightclubs with none of the original members

Labour as Brotherhood of Man...you can vaguely recall they were popular in the 70s, but only because your Gran bought them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    The long read from Prospect referred to in the Thread header and linked to down thread is good on the history and in explaining why various changes to society and our economy have not been to Labour's advantage. What it is pretty poor at is identifying a meaningful future.

Corbyn is an ass, I am seriously irritated about his idiotic comments in Scotland yesterday, but he is a symptom of Labour's problems, not the cause. Labour need to think hard about what they are for in a world where Unions are basically a public sector phenomenon, where government debt means borrowing more is a much more difficult option, where growth is stunted by international competitiveness and where the modern economy gives enormous benefits to those with rare talents or skills and is frankly uninterested in those that don't have such skills.

I am not going to pretend that the answer can come in a thread contribution on a blog but some obvious starting points are:

(a) Education. Not being trapped by producer interests but focussed on how those from poorer backgrounds are to be given a chance. Think homework clubs, pupil premiums, maintenance grants, specialist colleges, developing the idea of modern apprenticeships, second chances and third chances for those overcome by their disadvantages. Some being done, so much more to do.

(b) Taxation. The case for more progressive taxation can be made. Also the urgent need, to tackle inequality, of taxing capital that is exempt from taxes or taxed extremely lightly and is driving inequality down the generations. What needs to be done to match the resources of the state to the needs of an increasingly elderly population?

(c) The gig economy and the casualistaion of work. How do we address the inequities of casual labour without losing the flexibility for those that want it? How do we give an increasing percentage of our population some dignity, security, ability to plan and aspiration in a world where their skills are poorly valued?

(d) In macro economic terms can the case be made for substantial infrastructure investment to increase competitiveness in the brave new Brexit world? If so, what projects, where for what benefits?

A proper opposition would have focussed on 1 figure in the budget: £16m. Less than 0.001% of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. It goes beyond pathetic. It is the best joke that Hammond told but it is not funny. A budget that should have been focussed on getting this country ready for a much more challenging environment was steady as you go and nothing. Only someone as incompetent as Corbyn could fail to make something of this. Which is where the argument starts to get a little circular of course.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    isam said:

Its adversaries are still around: those who threw bread rolls from the steps of the Carlton Club at hunger marchers in 1936 and who set fire to £20 or £50 notes in front of the homeless in 2017.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    Dura_Ace said:

Given that some of the contributors (not me I hasten to add) on here know enough about Classical History to make Wikipedia redundant I would suggest your criticism is rather ill placed. If you had spent any great length of time here you would realise that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The long read from Prospect referred to in the Thread header and linked to down thread is good on the history and in explaining why various changes to society and our economy have not been to Labour's advantage. What it is pretty poor at is identifying a meaningful future.

Corbyn is an ass, I am seriously irritated about his idiotic comments in Scotland yesterday, but he is a symptom of Labour's problems, not the cause. Labour need to think hard about what they are for in a world where Unions are basically a public sector phenomenon, where government debt means borrowing more is a much more difficult option, where growth is stunted by international competitiveness and where the modern economy gives enormous benefits to those with rare talents or skills and is frankly uninterested in those that don't have such skills.

I am not going to pretend that the answer can come in a thread contribution on a blog but some obvious starting points are:

(a) Education. Not being trapped by producer interests but focussed on how those from poorer backgrounds are to be given a chance. Think homework clubs, pupil premiums, maintenance grants, specialist colleges, developing the idea of modern apprenticeships, second chances and third chances for those overcome by their disadvantages. Some being done, so much more to do.

(b) Taxation. The case for more progressive taxation can be made. Also the urgent need, to tackle inequality, of taxing capital that is exempt from taxes or taxed extremely lightly and is driving inequality down the generations. What needs to be done to match the resources of the state to the needs of an increasingly elderly population?

(c) The gig economy and the casualistaion of work. How do we address the inequities of casual labour without losing the flexibility for those that want it? How do we give an increasing percentage of our population some dignity, security, ability to plan and aspiration in a world where their skills are poorly valued?

(d) In macro economic terms can the case be made for substantial infrastructure investment to increase competitiveness in the brave new Brexit world? If so, what projects, where for what benefits?

A proper opposition would have focussed on 1 figure in the budget: £16m. Less than 0.001% of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. It goes beyond pathetic. It is the best joke that Hammond told but it is not funny. A budget that should have been focussed on getting this country ready for a much more challenging environment was steady as you go and nothing. Only someone as incompetent as Corbyn could fail to make something of this. Which is where the argument starts to get a little circular of course.

Excellent post
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

LOL (agreeing). We have a house in the town where I live commemorating a Protestant martyr, burned at the stake in 1555.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Cheers, Mr. F.

Is Mr. Eagles on holiday? Not seen him for a few days.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Sandpit, hope it comes off (if it did, the odds on Bottas being top 3 would be good too).

Mr. Ace, quote WIkipedia? I might use it to check dates/battle names occasionally, but as a primary source I have severe doubts over the suggestion Alexander was a Greek.
  • Options

isam said:

Labour as Brotherhood of Man...you can vaguely recall they were popular in the 70s, but only because your Gran bought them.
    And reduced to performing on the holiday camp circuit
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, Australia has a very strong line on migration, doesn't it? If so, that makes it thousands of miles away (ahem) from most European nations.

Per capita, Australia gets more than twice the number of immigrants that we do, with Asia now being an increasing proportion.
    Per capita is pretty meaningless. Australia is 31 times larger than the UK and its habitable area is between 3 and 4 times the size of the UK.
  • Options
    A lot more to this story than meets the eye... anyone care to guess?

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/839120580876075008
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Given that some of the contributors (not me I hasten to add) on here know enough about Classical History to make Wikipedia redundant I would suggest your criticism is rather ill placed. If you had spent any great length of time here you would realise that.
    I agree. When people post to places about topics they've got a deep and extensive knowledge of, it's very irritating to hear "Got that from Wikipedia, did you?" or "Isn't Google good?" - questions that say most about the asker. There are better ways to suggest that something is off-topic if that's what is desired to be said.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited March 2017

Dura_Ace said:

11 April 1612, according to wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Wightman
  • Options
    isam said:

Concert? Women have been found guilty before of helping a man rape another person.
  • Options

Cheers, Mr. F.

I thought he said he was off overseas somewhere?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jack gave Katie a chance to first correct herself, then donate a small sum to charity (Which Katie Hopkins could well afford). Then she pursued a libel case at considerable time/ potential expense to herself - she's not of endless means (Jack Monroe as I understand) for an amount that in the grand scheme of libel damages (£50,000) is not really all that high.

It's 'they' not 'she'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Cheers, Mr. F.

I believe that is correct.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Dr. Foxinsox, Australia has a very strong line on migration, doesn't it? If so, that makes it thousands of miles away (ahem) from most European nations.

Per capita, Australia gets more than twice the number of immigrants that we do, with Asia now being an increasing proportion.
    Which shows that it is possible to have immigration which is popular - at least enough to survive as a stable government policy. Australia immigration policy has a number of features -

- emphasising skills which are in short supply. Easy to get agreement that if the country has x empty places for doctors, bring in x doctors.
    - lower skill jobs have been largely protected from wage collapse. There are complaints about taxi driving etc, but there is nothing like the wholesale elimination of locally born labour from classes of jobs that we have seen.
    - strong belief in the existing cultural, social political norms in Australia. While there were (and are) attempts to denigrate Australia from within (in the familiar pattern from Europe), they have had little traction. This means that Australians are not being told off for existing, but, more importantly, gives the immigrants a culture to join.
    - An asylum system that actually takes in asylum seekers and isn't a giant piss take.
    - enforcement of the rules.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The last conviction under the Witchcraft Act took place in 1944. It was repealed by the Fraudulent Mediums Act of 1951, which was itself repealed in 2008 ... because of EU-wide standardisation of consumer law!

But when was the last conviction for wearing a mask in the New Forest?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    @isam - is she actually a he?
  • Options

Cheers, Mr. F.

Going to be advising Donald Trump on working 80's pop references into his speeches?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    As Copeland showed Corbyn is the worst Labour leader since Foot and will be trounced by May but as Stoke showed UKIP and the LDs are still making no progress into winning Labour heartland seats so Labour will continue as a hapless oppposition but still the main party of opposition
  • Options
    Cyan said:

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The last conviction under the Witchcraft Act took place in 1944. It was repealed by the Fraudulent Mediums Act of 1951, which was itself repealed in 2008 ... because of EU-wide standardisation of consumer law!

Was that the woman who they were concerned about passing on wartime secrets via her crystal ball or some such. There was a programme about the case on one of the 'Nazi Shark' channels a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Edward Wightman 1612.
    We have clearly lost our moral fibre as a nation since the early 17th century.

Favourite personal story - one of my ancestors was burned at the stake in the 1420s for having some mad idea about people being able to read the bible in English. This was outside St. Giles Church near the present day Tottenham Court Road station. As he was being burned, he cursed the area around there. Ever since then, it has been seedy and poorer than the surrounding areas.

Whenever I walk around there, I remember that my family has been buggering up that area for six centuries, which I suppose is a kind of claim to fame, or infamy.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The media are having a field day over Netherlands versus Turkey, a spat that without the deliberate use that is being made of it would be largely without consequences. In Cologne and in Stockholm, "unidentified men" appeared as if from nowhere to cause violence at key flashpoints. Not large numbers. Only about 10 or 20, but serious about it and organised. How long will it be until the same happens in Rotterdam or elsewhere in the Netherlands?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I've been following politics in Canada over the last few months and surprised by the rise in feeling that their country is also on the wrong path.

This captures it well

http://m.torontosun.com/2017/03/11/the-truth-about-populism-in-canada?token=efded96b6274b977581676cc68d3b0ec

Trudeau has a much higher approval rating in Canada than Trump does in the US
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@isam - is she actually a he?

Yes. A person with a dick has alledgedly used it to penetrate a man, and now that man is in court hearing that he has been 'raped' by a woman

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/840849620150435841

• Options
    Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

Favourite personal story - one of my ancestors was burned at the stake in the 1420s for having some mad idea about people being able to read the bible in English. This was outside St. Giles Church near the present day Tottenham Court Road station. As he was being burned, he cursed the area around there. Ever since then, it has been seedy and poorer than the surrounding areas.

Whenever I walk around there, I remember that my family has been buggering up that area for six centuries, which I suppose is a kind of claim to fame, or infamy.
    One of my ancestors was strangled then burnt at the stake for translating the bible. But that was in Holland.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    The poll of Labour members shows clear and continuous movement away from Corbyn. But unless Len loses - which he won't - we are stuck with him for another year.

Once this is all over the Labour party owes a deep and sincere apology to the British people.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,266

I'm sure these people's views on free speech are entirely consistent with the ones they expressed at the time of Sally Bercow's conviction for libel.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Per capita is pretty meaningless. Australia is 31 times larger than the UK and its habitable area is between 3 and 4 times the size of the UK.
    Per Capita is very significant for social and cultural change, which is what many anti-immigration campaigners object to across the world.

The effect on house prices is also significant:

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/840822522585239552

Median house prices in Sydney are now over a million AUS$.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

isam said:

Concert? Women have been found guilty before of helping a man rape another person.
    This "woman" is accused of being the assailant.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Corbyn is an ass, I am seriously irritated about his idiotic comments in Scotland yesterday, but he is a symptom of Labour's problems, not the cause.

He is also a magnifier of their problems, but the basic issue remains the same.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    edited March 2017
    Nigelb

Good morning, Mr.D.
    Your presence has inspired me to post a thought provoking Atlantic article on Plato:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/making-athens-great-again/517791/

Eureka!

• Options
    Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

The most successful curse in history was that which Jacques de Molay pronounced on the Capets, when he was burned at the stake.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    David/Big G

Why is Corbyn an ass because of his "idiotic" comments in Scotland yesterday.

He was repeating the only sensible line in theses matters. If a proportional Scottish Parliament passes a move for an indy ref then Westminster will have no choice but to agree. That is all that Corbyn said as did Nick Clegg on Friday. Not to do so will reap a whirlwind.

It is people like Kezia Dugdale who have switched sides (a number of times) on this issue and has now emerged as a mini me for Ruth Davidson or loons like an infuriating Liberal novice MSP called Cole-Hamilton who got tied in knotts on the BBC radio yesterday.

In contrast to these people on this issue Corbyn is a oasis of sanity in a desert of nonsense.
  • Options

Quite why people think libel should be ok on twitter when it would not be in a newspaper, for example, is a bit strange. From the circumstances of the case it was idiotic it got that far, but it did indeed seem to be libelous, what's the issue?
  • Options

Cyan said:

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Was that the woman who they were concerned about passing on wartime secrets via her crystal ball or some such. There was a programme about the case on one of the 'Nazi Shark' channels a couple of years ago.
    It was Helen Duncan, who told a séance audience in 1944 that HMS Barham had been lost - an event that happened in 1941 but was still classified as secret even though hundreds of condolence letters had been sent out.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Morning, Comrades!

Naught but Tory propaganda from Mike!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

a proper opposition would have focussed on 1 figure in the budget: £16m. Less than 0.001% of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. It goes beyond pathetic. It is the best joke that Hammond told but it is not funny. A budget that should have been focussed on getting this country ready for a much more challenging environment was steady as you go and nothing. Only someone as incompetent as Corbyn could fail to make something of this. Which is where the argument starts to get a little circular of course.

0.001% is not an accurate figure.

A lot more than £16mn in private money which makes up part of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. The £16mn is private money only and unless you think Openreach should pocket their profits and get through taxpayer to invest it is only part of the story.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

What is the Labour brand these days?

People may be confused by what the brand is for thesedays, but they will still vote for in the millions.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    nielh said:

On topic: Labour wont win under Corbyn but the labour party won't die either. The national insurance debacle was just one example of the problems that the tories will run in over the next months and years. Corbyn will remain there as leader of the opposition and the failings of the government will be misconstrued as the achievements of the opposition. I am convinced that the current position is labours floor but as always only time will tell.

If Corbyn goes in the next 12 months and there is a sensible replacement (i.e. not McDonnell) then Labour will recover to some extent and what we have now is probably the floor. If, however, Corbyn stays through to the next GE then we could reach a tipping point where Labour voters desert en masse.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

b and c shows why the National insurance change was beyond pathetic...

We are about to get the Taylor report into employment (in the 21st century) so instead of waiting for the report and basing the changes on actual facts NI was increased now without basis.

Worse it only takes effect a year down the line with a full blown budget in November so there was no reason to announce it now when the report (probably providing valid reasons for increasing the tax) is due before then.

As for Broadband its worse than that token increase. In today's times Ofcom is said to be pushing for the prices charged by openreach to Sky and Talktalk to be reduced - that's hardly going to encourage investment...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @Mr_Fishing. :lol: - So your lot is to blame for brutalist architecture of the St Giles Hotel…!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

What a great tale.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

One of my ancestors was strangled then burnt at the stake for translating the bible. But that was in Holland.
    William Tyndale?

I've always been struck by the sheer courage with which so many people met dreadful deaths like burning at the stake. If it were me, i'd be saying anything the inquisitors wanted, to avoid such a fate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,821
    Roger said:

Nigelb

Good morning, Mr.D.
    Your presence has inspired me to post a thought provoking Atlantic article on Plato:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/making-athens-great-again/517791/

Eureka!

I think you might be misattributing that quote.

:-)
  • Options
    Cyan said:

isam said:

Its adversaries are still around: those who threw bread rolls from the steps of the Carlton Club at hunger marchers in 1936 and who set fire to £20 or £50 notes in front of the homeless in 2017.

Since that is not representative of their adversaries - unless arses are their true adversary - then that is hardly the reason. The premise of the point is correct though.
  • Options

That's the next labour leader you're talking about, show some respect, sir.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,266
    Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

William Tyndale?

I've always been struck by the sheer courage with which so many people met dreadful deaths like burning at the stake. If it were me, i'd be saying anything the inquisitors wanted, to avoid such a fate.
    I don't have a faith myself, but the available evidence is that it can help you withstand an awful lot.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

It's 'they' not 'she'
    Not according to the judgement!
  • Options

DavidL said:

a proper opposition would have focussed on 1 figure in the budget: £16m. Less than 0.001% of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. It goes beyond pathetic. It is the best joke that Hammond told but it is not funny. A budget that should have been focussed on getting this country ready for a much more challenging environment was steady as you go and nothing. Only someone as incompetent as Corbyn could fail to make something of this. Which is where the argument starts to get a little circular of course.

0.001% is not an accurate figure.

A lot more than £16mn in private money which makes up part of our economy is going to be invested in faster broadband. The £16mn is private money only and unless you think Openreach should pocket their profits and get through taxpayer to invest it is only part of the story.
    Of course there is private investment going on in broadband. But that was the figure in the budget and it might allow a service to a single village somewhere.

And there is a role for the State here. Providing high speed broadband to rural areas is not economic in that it will see a return for the provider but it is essential if those rural areas are to have any hope of thriving in the modern economy. So the government should enforce a trade off (like the Post Office Universal service obligation, you get the good bits in exchange for the bad) or they have a regional policy worth a damn and subsidise its provision. If the former is the path to be followed the providers need to have their feet held to the fire to deliver what was promised.

It is a telling example of what I think was a budget showing an almost scary lack of imagination. But Labour have nothing useful to say about it.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Per Capita is very significant for social and cultural change, which is what many anti-immigration campaigners object to across the world.

For the record, the Economist's House Price Index measures prices against rents and incomes.

Is it Chinese money that has pushed up prices in Sydney? It is in some parts of the market in Cambridge.

• Options
    scotslass said:

David/Big G

Why is Corbyn an ass because of his "idiotic" comments in Scotland yesterday.

He was repeating the only sensible line in theses matters. If a proportional Scottish Parliament passes a move for an indy ref then Westminster will have no choice but to agree. That is all that Corbyn said as did Nick Clegg on Friday. Not to do so will reap a whirlwind.

It is people like Kezia Dugdale who have switched sides (a number of times) on this issue and has now emerged as a mini me for Ruth Davidson or loons like an infuriating Liberal novice MSP called Cole-Hamilton who got tied in knotts on the BBC radio yesterday.

In contrast to these people on this issue Corbyn is a oasis of sanity in a desert of nonsense.

Corbyn may, as with Brexit, have been trying to recognise the inevitable, but doing so unilaterally without discussing with SLAB undermines them and their position, in which case why not go SCON, SLD or SNP?
  • Options

The poll of Labour members shows clear and continuous movement away from Corbyn. But unless Len loses - which he won't - we are stuck with him for another year.

Once this is all over the Labour party owes a deep and sincere apology to the British people.

The poll of Labour members also showed Corbyn still Labour members preferred leader and McDonnell his preferred successor
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    edited March 2017

I'm sure these people's views on free speech are entirely consistent with the ones they expressed at the time of Sally Bercow's conviction for libel.
    It is interesting how the 'right' have formed themselves into a coven which involves total solidarity with not only right wing causes but anyone who is seen to be right wing however distateful or mendatious
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

William Tyndale?

I don't have a faith myself, but the available evidence is that it can help you withstand an awful lot.
    Choosing death because of one's religious faith may be incomprehensible to most of us in the West but it is not something that has gone away, as the number of suicide bombers in the world demonstrates.
  • Options
    At a recent meeting in our community it was suggested that local, and indeed British, broadband speeds were the lowest in the EU.
    Admittedly the speaker was trying to persuade us to sign up for his service. Which, since we’re not going to get Infinity any time seems like a good idea.
  • Options

Of course Howard and Abbott both put through tough new immigration policies when we had Blair and Cameron
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

William Tyndale?

No kidding, it can inspire people to acts both great and terrible, and inspire immense courage. My atheistic will would break when it comes to dignity on those situations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The poll of Labour members also showed Corbyn still Labour members preferred leader and McDonnell his preferred successor

It showed clear, large-scale and continuous movement away from Corbyn. The voting process also makes it next to impossible for McDonnell to succeed him. Yesterday's poll in the Times actually showed Keir Starmer as the preferred successor, with McDonnell tied with Chukka Umanna.

• Options
    Roger said:

It is interesting how the 'right' have formed themselves into a coven which involves total solidarity with not only right wing causes but anyone who is seen to be right wing however distateful or mendatious
    No it hasn't. The distasteful right have formed themselves into a coven.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Those concerned over Ms Hopkins finances can donate here (though please read the small print!)

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/actualnews/our-campaign-to-raise-money-for-katie-hopkins-legal-fees-hits-1400/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Bad as things are for Labour - and they are - their vote share does not appear to have fallen further in recent months. Yougov had them on 24% at the beginning of December - their most recent survey gave them 25%. ICM has had Labour in the 26% - 28% range since late July with their most recent finding being 28%.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,821

Quite. I think the UK's libel laws oppressive, but selectively criticising or applauding litigants based on their political persuasion is childish.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

Edward Wightman 1612.

William Tyndale?

Choosing death because of one's religious faith may be incomprehensible to most of us in the West but it is not something that has gone away, as the number of suicide bombers in the world demonstrates.
    Some people will do anything to get laid.....

(semi serious point about the offer of virgins for killing and being killed for your god.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It showed clear, large-scale and continuous movement away from Corbyn. The voting process also makes it next to impossible for McDonnell to succeed him. Yesterday's poll in the Times actually showed Keir Starmer as the preferred successor, with McDonnell tied with Chukka Umanna.

Was that of Labour members or voters? Corbyn of course has now said he is staying leader until the next general election regardless so you are stuck with him until then, the likes of Umunna will have to wait until a Corbyn defeat
  • Options

Roger said:

Those concerned over Ms Hopkins finances can donate here (though please read the small print!)

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/actualnews/our-campaign-to-raise-money-for-katie-hopkins-legal-fees-hits-1400/
    First time I’m been proud of the town where I was educated since Southend United got promoted.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

utter, utter crap.

birds of a feather flock together Roger, even on the left.

Even on this site we have seen disgusting behavior at best ignored by members of same persuasion.

That includes those on the left.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was that of Labour members or voters? Corbyn of course has now said he is staying leader until the next general election regardless so you are stuck with him until then, the likes of Umunna will have to wait until a Corbyn defeat

Members.

We're stuck with him until the autumn of next year.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Heseltine appears genuinely deluded that he represents a mainstream and popular Conservative view.
This discussion has been closed.