Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now betting opens on whether the self employed NI increase wil

124»

Comments

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Roger said:

Dixie said:

Roger said:

It's becoming more clear by the day that May was a 'Leaver'. Everything about her spells old fashioned Tory. Grammar Schools bulldozing Brexit when all the signs screeching disaster..... Appointing Johnson as Foreign Secretary when a flying camel can see he's an unscrupulous opportunist and now picking a fight with with Hammond the only reliable Remainer.

Richard Dawkins's two minutes worth on why the Referendum was preposterous and he's got it spot on. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39218108

I met Mrs May a few times in 2016 and referendum, I was absolutely sure she was a Leaver. But she wanted to keep her job.

And I met Boris even more and I was absolutely convinced he was a remainer. But he wanted to be PM.

Both claimed the opposite to get on!
    QED!!!
    peut-etre!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

This year's local elections are most likely going to be compared to 2013 when the projected national votes shares were as follows:

Con 29%
    Lab 26%
    UKIP 22%
    LD 13%
    Others 10%

https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/English Local Elections Update - PSA Media Briefing Pack.pdf

What do we reckon? I'm going for:

Con 37%
    Lab 23%
    LD 19%
    UKIP 10%
    Others 11%
    BBC has different figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22382098
    That'll be because my figures are a forecast.
    And similar to the Tory forecast.
    Coincidental, I'm afraid.
    They read the same research as you. Rallings/Curtice etc. And I assume they all read Political Betting!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    matt said:

Ed Sheeran has just recorded 9 of the top 10 singles (14 of the top 15 actually), missing out only on number 7. This is by far and away the most complete domination of the charts ever recorded.

Could be worse, it could be James Blunt. Or Adele.
    It is passable stuff, if slightly dull. Appeals to teenage girls.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Dixie said:

Roger said:

It's becoming more clear by the day that May was a 'Leaver'. Everything about her spells old fashioned Tory. Grammar Schools bulldozing Brexit when all the signs screeching disaster..... Appointing Johnson as Foreign Secretary when a flying camel can see he's an unscrupulous opportunist and now picking a fight with with Hammond the only reliable Remainer.

Richard Dawkins's two minutes worth on why the Referendum was preposterous and he's got it spot on. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39218108

I met Mrs May a few times in 2016 and referendum, I was absolutely sure she was a Leaver. But she wanted to keep her job.

And I met Boris even more and I was absolutely convinced he was a remainer. But he wanted to be PM.

I've never met either but it was easy to come to the same view from publicly available reporting. Similar comments could be made about Corbyn.
  • Options

Mr. Dixie, he who is first shall be last, and she who is last shall be first.

Boris' victory in the referendum was Pyrrhic.

True. He was the Tory members' favourite for Leader/PM until unexplainably, he stood down from the contest. Must be a book coming our about why at some stage.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The 2017 elections should be compared with the 2012 elections in terms of PNS/NEV. However the council areas are the same as 2013.

I'll give my thoughts once I've looked at the relevant data.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Dixie, you've forgotten the gaping hole in Boris' chest where Gove stabbed him :p
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

This year's local elections are most likely going to be compared to 2013 when the projected national votes shares were as follows:

Con 29%
    Lab 26%
    UKIP 22%
    LD 13%
    Others 10%

https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/English Local Elections Update - PSA Media Briefing Pack.pdf

What do we reckon? I'm going for:

Con 37%
    Lab 23%
    LD 19%
    UKIP 10%
    Others 11%
    BBC has different figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22382098
    That'll be because my figures are a forecast.
    And similar to the Tory forecast.
    Coincidental, I'm afraid.
    I meant Andy's numbers. The projected national vote shares. Or are those Andy's forecast.
  • Options

Mr. Dixie, you've forgotten the gaping hole in Boris' chest where Gove stabbed him :p

Stabbed in the front!

The rumours I was hearing (and I do not want to be sued) was newspaper Barons clearly had quite a bit on Boris (I'd been hearing this for years) and they didn't' want him so stand. 'You stand, we publish.'

Mrs May's lot said to him...'stand down and we will make you foreign secretary.' He couldn't discuss it with his wife for obvious reasons. So, he quickly made a decision and stood down.

Gove's wife works for the Mail Group. Gove is a Murdoch man. I was told (don't sue me) that both owner/barons told the Goves to stop Boris. Only rumour, of course.
  • Options
    Actual vote totals I can see being something like :

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%
  • Options

Dixie said:

Roger said:

I've never met either but it was easy to come to the same view from publicly available reporting. Similar comments could be made about Corbyn.
    Yes, fair enough. These two in particular are quite hard to read. Mrs May because she is not opinionated. Boris too, because has many characters. His hairs manifests which Boris you are going to get. Many people tell me it gets shaggier when he wants to play the joker. Look at it now he is foreign sec. It has calmed down. He is deep I can tell you. I really like him, but there are multiple Boris's.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, at the next General Election? Or locals?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,134
    Dixie said:

Roger said:

As it turned out, Theresa was far more ruthlessly ambitious than Boris.
  • Options
    Hmm I think the Lib Dems getting more votes than Labour is highly likely for one. Labour's strongest area in these elections is probably where I am right now in Derbyshire. But they're going to get hammered everywhere.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, at the next General Election? Or locals?

These locals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2013

It is a horrible map for Labour.

However on PNS they ought to be comparing with Ed Miliband's excellent 2012 results at this stage.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Glenn, maybe just smarter about it. Septimius Severus and Flavius Phocas*, but the former was capable of subtlety and diplomacy, whereas the latter was just a mutilating tyrant.

Edited extra bit: *ahem, were both ambitious
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

Wow. I am not a great forecaster but I think Labour have a 20-25% bottom.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, that'd be atrocious. I think you're being a bit harsh on Labour and generous on the Conservatives (suspect your forecast is plausible, but right at the limit of plausible results).
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

The actual votes received were Conservative 34.3%, Labour 21.1%, UKIP 19.9%, Lib Dem 13.8% and Green 3.5%

2013 vote totals

PNS : Popular vote Con 25% Labour 29%
    Lib Dem 14% UKIP 22%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

The actual votes received were Conservative 34.3%, Labour 21.1%, UKIP 19.9%, Lib Dem 13.8% and Green 3.5%

2013 vote totals

oh, I see. Interesting. I just pray Jezza keeps his job.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, that'd be atrocious. I think you're being a bit harsh on Labour and generous on the Conservatives (suspect your forecast is plausible, but right at the limit of plausible results).

Labour's PNS will be better than their actual vote totals. All the seats are shire/rural.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    edited March 2017
    Happy Families.

Huge bust up in the EU tonight.

Poland threatens to use their veto to stop the two speed Europe put forward by Germany and France, Holland has threatened Poland to take away their funds, Poland ridicule Hollande's 4% poll rating and Angela is furious.

Poland also saying they will veto Tusk's appointment.

Very unsavoury evening dinner and both sides digging in

What's the bet the media will avoid reporting it
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

2013 vote totals

I think Labour will be under 20% in raw vote total for sure.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I see that the Labour vote was up 13.7% in Harrow last night. Lib Dem vote barely moved.

Does anybody know what Roxbourne ward in Harrow is like demographically?
  • Options

Dixie said:

Roger said:

keep her views to herself. As OGH says, favourites rarely win. They get chopped down,
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

TOPPING said:

isam said:

What seems clear is that those who wished we had voted to stay in the EU want to categorise everyone who wants to leave as a mad anti immigration nutter, and pounce on any pro immigration talk from a leaver as betrayal, even if it is entirely consistent with their previous comments.

Such a poor level of debate

All it does is show how mixed up people were when they voted for Brexit. Immigration was the main issue cited for voting Leave. Not for him; he didn't like the sovereignty. Fair enough. But he should have realised that Brexit is not pick and mix. He obviously disliked the sovereignty aspect enough such that it overrode the immigration issue.

So he should not now complain that the immigration issue is also being addressed.

Either that or he is a fucking idiot.
    He seems to be a complete nutcase. His principal reason for supporting Leave seems to have been some bizarre vendetta against Christine Lagarde and George Osborne:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/jd-wetherspoon-pub-chief-tim-martin-sends-new-brexit-message-to-george-osborne-on-beer-mats-a7091106.html

PS: I did once make the mistake of going to a Wetherspoon pub and actually ordering some food. I know, I know, my own stupid mistake. It's not one I'll repeat.
    good beer though
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,017

Happy Families.

Poland threatens to use their veto to stop the two speed Europe put forward by Germany and France, Holland has threatened Poland to take away their funds, Poland ridicule Hollande's 4% poll rating and Angela is furious.

So how do you know about it, if it's not being reported?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Roger said:

keep her views to herself. As OGH says, favourites rarely win. They get chopped down,
    The Next Tory Leader and Next PM markets were the textbook example of lay-the-favourite markets from around 2013 to July last year. Very profitable they were too ;)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I see that the Labour vote was up 13.7% in Harrow last night. Lib Dem vote barely moved.

I don't know, but Labour continues to improve in their strongholds. Mainly big cities. It confuses Labour, which is good.
  • Options

Happy Families.

The Guardian on line and the Express on line
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

What seems clear is that those who wished we had voted to stay in the EU want to categorise everyone who wants to leave as a mad anti immigration nutter, and pounce on any pro immigration talk from a leaver as betrayal, even if it is entirely consistent with their previous comments.

All it does is show how mixed up people were when they voted for Brexit. Immigration was the main issue cited for voting Leave. Not for him; he didn't like the sovereignty. Fair enough. But he should have realised that Brexit is not pick and mix. He obviously disliked the sovereignty aspect enough such that it overrode the immigration issue.

So he should not now complain that the immigration issue is also being addressed.

He seems to be a complete nutcase. His principal reason for supporting Leave seems to have been some bizarre vendetta against Christine Lagarde and George Osborne:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/jd-wetherspoon-pub-chief-tim-martin-sends-new-brexit-message-to-george-osborne-on-beer-mats-a7091106.html

PS: I did once make the mistake of going to a Wetherspoon pub and actually ordering some food. I know, I know, my own stupid mistake. It's not one I'll repeat.
    good beer though
    I rarely go to a Wetherspoons, but made a mistake and went to one in Dundee at Lunchtime, it was very depressing and I came away thinking how awful to see so many middle aged men speed drinking, with 3 or 4 pints stacked up. This was mid week, but I formed the view this was an every day experience. The Scottish folk have a drink problem for sure.
    Meanwhile my only other Wetherspoons was Harrogate and Wow, what a beautiful re use of the building.
    I do not agree with the beer mat statements.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

chestnut said:

I don't know, but Labour continues to improve in their strongholds. Mainly big cities. It confuses Labour, which is good.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2013

Not too many big cities on the coloured part of that map.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Happy Families.

Well there is your answer.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Happy Families.

The Polish refuse to sanction the official summit communique.

https://euobserver.com/political/137190

Multispeed Europe is a euphemism for the real EU being the Eurozone. The rest are just clinging on and will have to jump in or out sooner or later.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

I would be staggered if the LDs did that well.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953
    jayfdee said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

good beer though
    I rarely go to a Wetherspoons, but made a mistake and went to one in Dundee at Lunchtime, it was very depressing and I came away thinking how awful to see so many middle aged men speed drinking, with 3 or 4 pints stacked up. This was mid week, but I formed the view this was an every day experience. The Scottish folk have a drink problem for sure.
    Meanwhile my only other Wetherspoons was Harrogate and Wow, what a beautiful re use of the building.
    Wetherspoons in Spennymoor does superb breakfasts very cheaply.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Happy Families.

Poland can't veto Tusk. He's been appointed. They voted against, but were the only dissenters. We came off the bench and voted for Tusk.

(Oh yes, and this was yesterday :smiley:)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

I would be staggered if the LDs did that well.
    Yep might be a bit high tbh !

Thinking further these are the elections of essentially Brexitshire
  • Options

Happy Families.

What is wrong with the Guardian reporting the story and the express reporting it also or is it that you do not like the story. Don't shoot the messenger

Poland hates the fact the EU have appointed Tusk and the two speed Europe put forward by Germany and France
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

jayfdee said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

good beer though
    Gosh. Not a place I'd have associated you with.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservative 45%
    Lib Dems 24%
    Labour 15%
    UKIP 9%
    Greens 2%

2013 vote totals

I think Labour will be under 20% in raw vote total for sure.
    We need a new thread .. How far can Labour sink? Could the Tories hit 50%? Will the Lib Dems ever escape from their taxi>? Are UKIP now an irrelevance?
  • Options

Happy Families.

What is wrong with the Guardian reporting the story and the express reporting it also or is it that you do not like the story. Don't shoot the messenger

Poland hates the fact the EU have appointed Tusk and the two speed Europe put forward by Germany and France
    I was highlighting the paradox of your claim that the media wouldn't report it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953
    We shouldn't knock people like Katie Hopkins. These are kind charitable people who provide employment to the legal profession, and thereby support the wine bars and restaurants in and around Fleet Street.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Happy Families.

The Polish refuse to sanction the official summit communique.

https://euobserver.com/political/137190

Multispeed Europe is a euphemism for the real EU being the Eurozone. The rest are just clinging on and will have to jump in or out sooner or later.
    I think that's absolutely right.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Happy Families.

Poland can't veto Tusk. He's been appointed. They voted against, but were the only dissenters. We came off the bench and voted for Tusk.

Not sure but isn't the communique tonight
  • Options
    A solicitor has been struck off for taking over £1.2 million from his firm's client account to fund his online gambling addiction.

He slips neatly into the deck of dodgy solicitor top trumps after admitting that he went "kamikaze" and "pressed the sod-it button".

http://www.rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/5027/fromTab/36/currentIndex/6/Default.aspx
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    jayfdee said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

good beer though
    Yes some are better than others and the low prices do attract the every day drinkers. I only drop in for an occasional pint and they seem to be mainly busy with oldies and families for cheap food etc in daytime at least. There is usually a clique of drinkers in a corner. They do have some nice buildings converted though. I would assume most of the speed drinkers did not have to rush back to work.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

jayfdee said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

good beer though
    They do seem to have the right business model.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,579
    edited March 2017
    Sean_F said:

We shouldn't knock people like Katie Hopkins. These are kind charitable people who provide employment to the legal profession, and thereby support the wine bars and restaurants in and around Fleet Street.

My favourite ever case was when two former business partners fell out, and spent £600,000 each on legal fees on whether a dozen cheques, totalling £40,000 were to mandate/authorised.
  • Options
    The Wetherspoons I've visited the most is the Ford Madox, just outside the Gorton ward of Manchester to meet up with friends.
  • Options

Happy Families.

The media in this context is Sky, BBC and ITV - we will see
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351

Alex neil sacked at Norwich.

5 months too late.

Far too many Labour Luvvies at the club.
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off. Let's hope Ireland win by 10 points or more.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,134

rcs1000 said:

Happy Families.

Not sure but isn't the communique tonight
    Poland has communicated its isolation very effectively to the whole of Europe without needing any form of communique.
  • Options

5 months too late.

Who runs it these days ? Deliah ?
    Does Ed Balls show up to games ?
  • Options

5 months too late.

A week earlier and he might have got the Gers gig.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,010
    Dixie said:

Stabbed in the front!

The rumours I was hearing (and I do not want to be sued) was newspaper Barons clearly had quite a bit on Boris (I'd been hearing this for years) and they didn't' want him so stand. 'You stand, we publish.'

Mrs May's lot said to him...'stand down and we will make you foreign secretary.' He couldn't discuss it with his wife for obvious reasons. So, he quickly made a decision and stood down.

Gove's wife works for the Mail Group. Gove is a Murdoch man. I was told (don't sue me) that both owner/barons told the Goves to stop Boris. Only rumour, of course.
    We should be eternally grateful to Gove for having sacrificed himself to ensure Boris did not become PM.
  • Options
    More proof, if proof were needed, that Oxford University is a complete dump.

Three members of the Unite union with close links to Len McCluskey and Jeremy Corbyn “ran rings around the room” at a Labour National Executive Committee hearing into claims of antisemitism and bullying at Oxford University’s Labour Club.

https://www.thejc.com/news/news-features/unions-were-behind-oxford-probe-cover-up-1.434079
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Happy Families.

The media in this context is Sky, BBC and ITV - we will see
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39232136
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

A solicitor has been struck off for taking over £1.2 million from his firm's client account to fund his online gambling addiction.

He slips neatly into the deck of dodgy solicitor top trumps after admitting that he went "kamikaze" and "pressed the sod-it button".

http://www.rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/5027/fromTab/36/currentIndex/6/Default.aspx

Looks like a relatively victimless crime; he seems to have broken even, and if he hadn't there's a fund (to which I imagine you as a solicitor contribute) to bail out his victims. I am surprised that sole practitioners are still allowed, given how much easier this sort of stuff is without partners looking over your shoulder.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Dixie said:

Stabbed in the front!

We should be eternally grateful to Gove for having sacrificed himself to ensure Boris did not become PM.
    :+1:

Hopefully he can find his way back to the front benches at the next reshuffle. His work at Justice especially remains unfinished.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

5 months too late.

Who runs it these days ? Deliah ?
    Does Ed Balls show up to games ?
    Deliah no longer flavour of the month.

Here in Norwich you can hear the sound of pitchforks being returned to sheds.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

5 months too late.

A week earlier and he might have got the Gers gig.
    Many would have volunteered to drive him there and its a bit of a long haul from Norfolk.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dixie said:

Stabbed in the front!

:+1:

Hopefully he can find his way back to the front benches at the next reshuffle. His work at Justice especially remains unfinished.
    Not happening, he wrote a blistering attack on Mrs May in The Times today

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/839940129670189057
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Dixie said:

Stabbed in the front!

we'll never know.
This discussion has been closed.