Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now betting opens on whether the self employed NI increase wil

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,988

Pulpstar said:
    You can tell that the judge enjoyed writing that one.
    Aye, a substantially easier judgement to write up than the judge who has to wrestle with the rather more serious 'David Irving v Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt'
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

Richard T FPT

Undoubtedly it does make Brexit easier. I simply think it is a great idea and I will take advantage of it, should it come to pass. Still think that it is unlikely to, however.

I hope so too. I'll definitely sign up if it happens. Apart from anything else, accidentally getting it out during meetings with European clients will be a way of showing that I'm not one of those Brexit types.
    Ha! A huge advantage in business that I hadn't yet considered.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Wikileaks
    How Democrats learned to stop worrying and love the CIA (meanwhile, Republican support has declined 56 points). https://t.co/y3rR3XZFc8
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    :smiley:

Ian Miles Cheong
    Never leave your window open during a snowstorm. https://t.co/E9KtJ1xBce
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,004
    F1: Red Bull running limited by checks on the turbo.

For those wondering, losing part or all of ERS (recycling kinetic and, I think, heat energy to power a turbo) has a catastrophic impact on power. We're talking seconds a lap. If it went halfway through a race, you wouldn't finish in the points unless there were only nine other cars circulating.
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, the rumour was that the EU would want EU law to apply to those British citizens who decide to pay to opt into EU citizenship.

I cannot see that being acceptable.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

PlatoSaid said:

Make of this what you will

Voice of Europe
    Dusseldorf axe attacker: “Fatmir H,” Muslim from Kosovo — cops rule out “Islamic fundamentalist motive” https://t.co/fB2nD4QN4M https://t.co/jPUUPCTys4

Maybe the guy was simply barking mad.
    or both
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    isam said:

As I say, Remoaners just want to bung every Leaver in the same category, so they can invent strawmen to knock down.

Someone who wanted to Leave but didn't want immigration cut, still doesn't want immigration cut.

Wow

They got excited because they hadn't done their research, now they are digging

Same old!

A pitiful level of debate.

There is certainly something pitiful about it.

Wanting to Leave meant wanting immigration cut. As I said, only a fucking idiot would be unable to grasp that simple point.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Mr. Recidivist, the rumour was that the EU would want EU law to apply to those British citizens who decide to pay to opt into EU citizenship.

What would you think about a proposal that tariff free trade should be subject to ECJ decisions as now?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,998

Nah. They would have no way to enforce it anymore than we can enforce British law outside our jurisdiction..
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, jein. Leave winning would mean immigration being cut, but that might not necessarily be the main motivation for voting that way (it might be seen as a price worth paying).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:
    I'm surprised it's taken them so long. It long predates the Budget.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Pulpstar said:

Jack Monroe costs estimated at £150,000

Hopkins settlement £24,000. Ordered to pay £107,000 towards Mx Monroe's legal costs.

So that is Hopkins £131,000 out of pocket and Monroe £19,000 out of pocket by my calculations.

Looks like the lawyers are the winners from this case.

Hoorah!
    Not least as ex-pb'er @Morus was acting for Jack...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I am sure that there will be some practical problem or other. It's still a great idea though.
  • Options

I don't see how it would be workable.
  • Options

Nah. They would have no way to enforce it anymore than we can enforce British law outside our jurisdiction..
    Are we leaving their jurisdiction? That depends on the outcome of negotiations...
  • Options

isam said:

As I say, Remoaners just want to bung every Leaver in the same category, so they can invent strawmen to knock down.

Someone who wanted to Leave but didn't want immigration cut, still doesn't want immigration cut.

Wow

Same old!

I haven't commented before on Tim Martin. As for his sudden realisation that hard Brexit might be awkward for 'Spoons: oh dear, how sad, what a pity.
    Except of course it is not a sudden realisation and like many of us he has been aware of the benefits of immigration for a long time and was happy to say as much during the campaign. I don't expect the idiotic Remainers to understand this as it is clearly too large a concept for their limited brainpower.
  • Options
    Mr. F, if that rumour proved true, neither do I.

Mr. Glenn, I'd want to see the whole deal.

Mr. Price, congrats to Morus :)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:
    That was known before the budget, but you are right that it's a bit odd that it hasn't got more publicity.

Am I right in thinking that this is a sneaky way of charging a bit of IHT on widows inheriting the estate of their husbands, which is supposed to be a tax-free transfer?
  • Options

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

I haven't commented before on Tim Martin. As for his sudden realisation that hard Brexit might be awkward for 'Spoons: oh dear, how sad, what a pity.
    Except of course it is not a sudden realisation and like many of us he has been aware of the benefits of immigration for a long time and was happy to say as much during the campaign. I don't expect the idiotic Remainers to understand this as it is clearly too large a concept for their limited brainpower.
    Small brains or not, Remainers understand perfectly well that most Leavers hold deeply contradictory and self-defeating aspirations.
  • Options
    F1: red flag for Ferrari. Possibly gearbox.

Mercedes still top dog on the reliability front. A few more gremlins have crept into the Prancing Horse's garage this test.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jack Monroe costs estimated at £150,000

Hopkins settlement £24,000. Ordered to pay £107,000 towards Mx Monroe's legal costs.

So that is Hopkins £131,000 out of pocket and Monroe £19,000 out of pocket by my calculations.

Looks like the lawyers are the winners from this case.

Hoorah!
    Not least as ex-pb'er @Morus was acting for Jack...
    That's quite a feather in his cap.

I ran into him in Lincoln's Inn a couple of years ago.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    That was known before the budget, but you are right that it's a bit odd that it hasn't got more publicity.

Am I right in thinking that this is a sneaky way of charging a bit of IHT on widows inheriting the estate of their husbands, which is supposed to be a tax-free transfer?
    You guess correctly.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Richard don't sully yourself with his lack of logic. He voted Leave and now whines that he wants to keep free movement.

You may have wanted to keep free movement but were perfectly well aware that a Leave vote meant it would likely disappear and compared with freedom from our EU overlords, was a price worth paying.

The differences between the two approaches are clear.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

You guess correctly.
    £155 was ridiculously cheap. Other fees have had to be raised several times, I assume this has been done in one hit.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

For reference, the £200,000 Tim "Pub Landlord" Martin gave to the Vote Leave campaign helped fund advertising such as this:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/assets-d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/voteleave/pages/513/attachments/original/1455059757/briefing-security-borders.png

A perfectly sensible comment. You purposefully confuse migration with sensible border controls in a way that would make a BNP supporter smile.

Large scale migration does not preclude good border controls. Poor or non existent border controls such as exists in much of the EU does aid both terrorism and criminal activity.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

For reference, the £200,000 Tim "Pub Landlord" Martin gave to the Vote Leave campaign helped fund advertising such as this:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/assets-d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/voteleave/pages/513/attachments/original/1455059757/briefing-security-borders.png

A perfectly sensible comment. You confuse purposefully migration with sensible border controls in a way that would make a BNP supporter smile.

Large scale migration does not preclude good border controls. Poor or non existent border controls such as exists in much of the EU does aid both terrorism and criminal activity.
    You mean we need border controls between Beeston and London?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What about when the widow dies and the estate goes to the kids.

Is the whole estate charged again ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

You guess correctly.
    £155 was ridiculously cheap. Other fees have had to be raised several times, I assume this has been done in one hit.

£155 was more or less self-financing. These new charges are intended to raise serious money. They'll raise the equivalent of about two thirds of the legal aid budget.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Small brains or not, Remainers understand perfectly well that most Leavers hold deeply contradictory and self-defeating aspirations.
    This is not limited to Leavers. Think of all those Remainers who thought that the UK could reform the EU from within when all the evidence showed that the EU's idea of "reform" and the UK's idea of "reform" were miles apart.

There are delusions aplenty on both sides of this debate, one of the most pernicious ones on the Remainers' side being the idea that their thinking on the topic is a model of clarity and logic and consistency with the evidence.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

A perfectly sensible comment. You purposefully confuse migration with sensible border controls in a way that would make a BNP supporter smile.

Your use of the border control argument to further the Eurosceptic cause is more disingenuous than most. Before the referendum you argued for some time that it was a fundamental principle of the EU that anyone with the right to be in one part of the EU had the right to be in any other part of the EU, which more than anything showed that you pay only cursory attention to reality.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

You guess correctly.

It has been changed from reflecting the costs involved to just being another tax.

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Pulpstar said:

To all intents and purposes, yes. It's basically a form of cross-subsidy for the expensive bits of the courts and tribunals service (ie crime and family).
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

You have to pay for probate for each will, so presumably yes.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Richard don't sully yourself with his lack of logic. He voted Leave and now whines that he wants to keep free movement.

You may have wanted to keep free movement but were perfectly well aware that a Leave vote meant it would likely disappear and compared with freedom from our EU overlords, was a price worth paying.

Not at all. I and many others campaigned for EEA membership. Like the more sensible Remain supporters, accepting it is now very unlikely we will get our way does not mean we should not continue to believe that it is the best solution. All it means is that beyond stating our views we will not do anything that would risk undermining the apparent will of the people. Tim Martin saying that migration is good for the country is reasonable. The PM signing up for continued freedom of movement against the wishes of the majority - even if I were personally in favour of it - would not be acceptable.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Gifts between spouses are IHT exempt (although the survivor will pay this sliding scale fee). The IHT charge kicks in when the surviving spouse dies (if the estate exceeds £650,000).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

This is not limited to Leavers. Think of all those Remainers who thought that the UK could reform the EU from within when all the evidence showed that the EU's idea of "reform" and the UK's idea of "reform" were miles apart.

There are delusions aplenty on both sides of this debate, one of the most pernicious ones on the Remainers' side being the idea that their thinking on the topic is a model of clarity and logic and consistency with the evidence.

Nope. Most remainers understood that the EU was largely unreformable but were happy that Dave's deal achieved the right level of opt-out from the grand project.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

You have to pay for probate for each will, so presumably yes.

Oof !
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited March 2017

Brussels' most senior official has said he hopes Britain can be persuaded to rejoin the European Union after Brexit.

Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, said: “I don't like Brexit because I would like to be in the same boat as the British.

“The day will come when the British will re-enter the boat, I hope.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-re-enter-eu-boat-post-brexit-uk-european-commission-jean-claude-juncker-a7622726.html
  • Options

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Not at all. They are just individuals with differing views. There is nothing at all contradictory about wanting to leave the EU but supporting continued freedom of movement. Indeed it is exactly what the EU wants us to do. Neither they nor I will get our way but that doesn't make us wrong. It just puts us on the wrong side of current public opinion.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Not at all. I and many others campaigned for EEA membership.
    Campaigned in the literal sense? Were you knocking on the doors of Sleaford spreading the gospel about the Norway option and reassuring people that free movement would still continue after Brexit?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

You guess correctly.

£155 was more or less self-financing. These new charges are intended to raise serious money. They'll raise the equivalent of about two thirds of the legal aid budget.

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

You guess correctly.

It has been changed from reflecting the costs involved to just being another tax.

Were their costs really that low? Seems unlikely to me
  • Options

What would you think about a proposal that tariff free trade should be subject to ECJ decisions as now?
    I have no problem with the ECJ arbitrating on trade but nothing else
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Not at all. I and many others campaigned for EEA membership.
    Campaigned in the literal sense? Were you knocking on the doors of Sleaford spreading the gospel about the Norway option and reassuring people that free movement would still continue after Brexit?
    I wad certainly pushing the Norway option yes. Funnily enough space was the former MP I was campaigning with. Not Sleaford though. My area is a bit more rural than that.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Not at all. They are just individuals with differing views. There is nothing at all contradictory about wanting to leave the EU but supporting continued freedom of movement. Indeed it is exactly what the EU wants us to do. Neither they nor I will get our way but that doesn't make us wrong. It just puts us on the wrong side of current public opinion.
    I'm not sure about that (haven't seen a poll).

Surely Remain + EEA Leave = majority?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Not at all. I and many others campaigned for EEA membership. Like the more sensible Remain supporters, accepting it is now very unlikely we will get our way does not mean we should not continue to believe that it is the best solution. All it means is that beyond stating our views we will not do anything that would risk undermining the apparent will of the people. Tim Martin saying that migration is good for the country is reasonable. The PM signing up for continued freedom of movement against the wishes of the majority - even if I were personally in favour of it - would not be acceptable.
    Well, according to Sam it would be fine if a democratically-elected government decided to keep free movement so forgive me if I fail to get a clear picture of what Leave is supposed to look like.

The difference is that although you are happy with and accept the invevitablity of FoM becoming a casualty of our decision to Leave, Tim seems to think that we should maintain it, not realising that our vote to Leave was a vote to end free movement.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Nope. Most remainers understood that the EU was largely unreformable but were happy that Dave's deal achieved the right level of opt-out from the grand project.
    In my view it achieved the square root of sod all but since we have debated this to death in the past and the question is now moot, no point rehashing all this.

I'm afraid that the history of Britain's relationship with and in the EU is littered with delusions on all sides, one reason why we're in the situation we're in now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

And that was the biggest delusion of them all.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pulpstar said:

To all intents and purposes, yes. It's basically a form of cross-subsidy for the expensive bits of the courts and tribunals service (ie crime and family).
    I'm a little surprised 58% of all estates are below £50k.

I'm not sure what I expected that figure to be, but 58% seems pretty high.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Who cares? I doubt it was a 'sudden realisation' though
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

In my view it achieved the square root of sod all but since we have debated this to death in the past and the question is now moot, no point rehashing all this.
    On that we can agree.
  • Options
    Just on the chocolate price hike, as a comment on the BBC article said, the raw ingredients don't come from euroland. I think there was a BBC spot on the news a few months ago (I forget the precise country, somewhere near Ivory Coast, I think) which indicated the vast majority of chocolate's raw ingredient(s) came from one African country.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

There is certainly something pitiful about it.

Wanting to Leave meant wanting immigration cut. As I said, only a fucking idiot would be unable to grasp that simple point.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't see why the next govt couldn't be Pro EU, with an immigration policy that is very similar to what we have now
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

As I say, Remoaners just want to bung every Leaver in the same category

Aaaand I'm going to have to stop you there, on the grounds of irony
  • Options
    Freggles said:

isam said:

As I say, Remoaners just want to bung every Leaver in the same category

Aaaand I'm going to have to stop you there, on the grounds of irony
    It seems it is human nature to bung people in categories, just some people criticise it without realising they do it
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

I thought that too and certainly the polls around the time of the referendum seemed to show that. But all the polling I have seen since seems to indicate that there is a clear majority in favour of limiting immigration. If that is the wish of the majority then it would be wrong to ignore it and go for a deal that did not control migration.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm a little surprised 58% of all estates are below £50k.

I'm not sure what I expected that figure to be, but 58% seems pretty high.
    Probate isn't needed in many cases. Jointly-owned properties and bank accounts, property that's held on trust, payments that are made out to nominated beneficiaries can all be made without a grant, so quite often, the full value of an estate isn't reflected in the value for probate purposes.
  • Options
    What's wrong with being a country that is flexible regarding its immigration levels dependent on the will of the people at GEs? We could be any kind of country, instead of limited to one model
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017

Just on the chocolate price hike, as a comment on the BBC article said, the raw ingredients don't come from euroland. I think there was a BBC spot on the news a few months ago (I forget the precise country, somewhere near Ivory Coast, I think) which indicated the vast majority of chocolate's raw ingredient(s) came from one African country.

The Ivory Coast leads the world in production and export of the cocoa beans used in the manufacture of chocolate, supplying 33% of cocoa produced in the world. West Africa collectively supplies two thirds of the world's cocoa crop.

[update] Most of the chocolate produced is eaten in a small detached house in Wiltshire.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to find out how many downloads a song has had, and how many records/CDs an album has sold

Released this year
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Be careful what you post on tw@tter...

Food blogger Jack Monroe has won £24,000 damages in a libel action against columnist Katie Hopkins after a row over a tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39234079

Seems a bit low for a libel settlement.

The trial took 21 months, unless the legal profession has taken an unprecedented pay cut then costs are going to be substantially more than £24,000. Will Hopkins be liable for those ?
    Katie looks about 65 in that image.
    I wonder if she will be punished in costs by decline Jack's (very public) offer to settle for £5,000, i.e. less that the £24,000.
    This case has been about the particular tweets complained of by this claimant against this defendant. It may have little wider significance. But I cannot leave it without making two observations. The first is that the case could easily have been resolved at an early stage. There was an open offer to settle for £5,000. It was a reasonable offer. There could have been an offer of amends under the Defamation Act 1996. Such an offer attracts a substantial discount: up to half if the offer is prompt and unqualified. Such an offer would have meant the compensation would have been modest. The costs would have been a fraction of those which I am sure these parties have incurred in the event. Those costs have largely been incurred in contesting the issue of whether a statement which on its face had a defamatory tendency had actually caused serious harm.
    The clear lesson from this case is that whether you're a right wing loudmouth or a left wing loudmouth, differences are best settled between yourselves without extensive use of m'learned friends. Both women in this case end up with a bill they'll probably struggle to pay.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RIP john surtees.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, cheers for that info :)

F1: John Surtees, 1964 world champion, has died.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2017

Commodity prices are mostly in US dollars. The pound fell against the dollar after the referendum vote.
  • Options

I thought that too and certainly the polls around the time of the referendum seemed to show that. But all the polling I have seen since seems to indicate that there is a clear majority in favour of limiting immigration. If that is the wish of the majority then it would be wrong to ignore it and go for a deal that did not control migration.

But we won't be able to pick and chose the precise structure of the deal to suit the electoral requirements of the government.

If the choice is between:

- Controlled immigration but burdensome trade and a hard border in Ireland.
    - Free trade and free movement with the ECJ. In the customs union and an open border with Ireland. No independent trade deals, no MEPs no Commissioner, no participation in the Council.
    - Full membership

And all the time the clock is ticking, the pressure to break up the UK will increase.

What do you chose?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Some Leavers believe that a democratically-elected government could keep free movement.

I know..crazy, right?
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, a good point.
  • Options
    isam said:

What's wrong with being a country that is flexible regarding its immigration levels dependent on the will of the people at GEs? We could be any kind of country, instead of limited to one model

Because the country, by a majority of 17.3m (including Tim) to whatever it was, has just voted for lower immigration. It would be undemocratic for a government to go against their wishes. Traitorous, perhaps.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Does anyone know how to find out how many downloads a song has had, and how many records/CDs an album has sold

Released this year

That information may not yet be publicly available. Which song, which album?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

I have no problem with the ECJ arbitrating on trade but nothing else
    The ECJ should arbitrate only on trade in the rest of the EU - not elsewhere such as the UK or USA..
  • Options
    F1: just under an hour left of testing. My second test post is essentially done, but there won't be spread betting suggestions as the market remains dormant.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TOPPING said:

Bojabob said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

Some Leavers believe that a democratically-elected government could keep free movement.

I know..crazy, right?
    So if labour or the lib Dems won the next GE, or formed a coalition together, and both of their manifestos pledged free movement between the uk and the EU, you think it couldn't happen?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Mr. StClare, cheers for that info :)

F1: John Surtees, 1964 world champion, has died.

Mr Dancer,don't forget motorcycle world champ at 350cc and 500cc.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    No matter what you think of Katie Hopkins, that is silly.
  • Options
    Mr. Johnno, indeed, the only chap to win world titles on two and four wheels.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Bojabob said:

isam said:

Wow

Same old!

I know..crazy, right?
    So if labour or the lib Dems won the next GE, or formed a coalition together, and both of their manifestos pledged free movement between the uk and the EU, you think it couldn't happen?
    Well Richard for one would be out on the streets. Plus a few others, I dare say.

But do I think it could happen? Yes I do. As you say if it was in a manifesto and was voted in by the public then it is the very definition of democracy. I think it would cause a shitstorm, however, and don't think it likely, but yes it could happen.
  • Options
    If the Judge has only ordered a payment on account of £107,000, out of £300,000, then presumably costs were only awarded on the Standard Basis. The Claimant will be left having to pay at least £100,000 herself.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If the Judge has only ordered a payment on account of £107,000, out of £300,000, then presumably costs were only awarded on the Standard Basis. The Claimant will be left having to pay at least £100,000 herself.
    So what will the final score likely be?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

What seems clear is that those who wished we had voted to stay in the EU want to categorise everyone who wants to leave as a mad anti immigration nutter, and pounce on any pro immigration talk from a leaver as betrayal, even if it is entirely consistent with their previous comments.

Such a poor level of debate

All it does is show how mixed up people were when they voted for Brexit. Immigration was the main issue cited for voting Leave. Not for him; he didn't like the sovereignty. Fair enough. But he should have realised that Brexit is not pick and mix. He obviously disliked the sovereignty aspect enough such that it overrode the immigration issue.

So he should not now complain that the immigration issue is also being addressed.

Either that or he is a fucking idiot.
    A load of crap. This was a binary choice and you will have people with very different opinions on both sides of the binary choice.

Politics continues either way.
  • Options
    Looks like the initial £250k was a gross underestimate. Assuming Katie's lawyers are about the same rate are we now up to about £624k (300 + 300 + 24) ?

What about the costs of the actual court ?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

I'd be amused if it was a double bankruptcy.

How well does twitter pay these days ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    isam said:

Released this year

For downloads Spotify gives a number for each track, so gross that up from their market share, of which plenty of estimates are available

For physical media I have no idea.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Katie should see if she can wangle a bailout from the Donald.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/674936832010887168
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Deleted
  • Options
    edited March 2017

TOPPING said:

isam said:

What seems clear is that those who wished we had voted to stay in the EU want to categorise everyone who wants to leave as a mad anti immigration nutter, and pounce on any pro immigration talk from a leaver as betrayal, even if it is entirely consistent with their previous comments.

Such a poor level of debate

All it does is show how mixed up people were when they voted for Brexit. Immigration was the main issue cited for voting Leave. Not for him; he didn't like the sovereignty. Fair enough. But he should have realised that Brexit is not pick and mix. He obviously disliked the sovereignty aspect enough such that it overrode the immigration issue.

So he should not now complain that the immigration issue is also being addressed.

Either that or he is a fucking idiot.
    A load of crap. This was a binary choice and you will have people with very different opinions on both sides of the binary choice.

Politics continues either way.
    So he voted Leave in the firm belief that freedom of movement would continue when virtually the entire campaign (much of which he funded) was predicated on controlling immigration.

K. Quelle dick.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Presumably it will be a rounding error for the Mail and they will make every penny back in increased sales/views. Or will try to.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Double bankruptcies aren't unknown in libel cases. Lord Aldington v Nikolai Tolstoy comes to mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

But we won't be able to pick and chose the precise structure of the deal to suit the electoral requirements of the government.

- Free trade and free movement with the ECJ. In the customs union and an open border with Ireland. No independent trade deals, no MEPs no Commissioner, no participation in the Council.
    - Full membership

And all the time the clock is ticking, the pressure to break up the UK will increase.

What do you chose?
    Easy. I choose the first. The second is not the equivalent of EEA membership and is far more burdensome.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Presumably it will be a rounding error for the Mail and they will make every penny back in increased sales/views. Or will try to.
    These particular comments weren't made in her capacity as a mail columnist so I doubt they'll be rushing to pay her fees though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

On checking, I see that the costs were awarded on the standard, not the indemnity, basis. Monroe must therefore prove (a) that the costs were reasonably incurred, and (b) that the sums claimed are reasonable. Typically, you recover 60-70% on the standard basis.

So, if Monroe's costs are £300,000, she'll probably get back c.£180-200,000 from Hopkins, in addition to £24,000 damages.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Sean_F said:

It's more likely that Monroe has some kind of no win, no fee deal with her lawyers. I'd be very surprised if she ended up out of pocket having made the offer she did. The only way for Hopkins to recoup her losses is to hope that some newspaper will pay her even more to be even more obnoxious. But the libel insurance premium will be huge.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

These particular comments weren't made in her capacity as a mail columnist so I doubt they'll be rushing to pay her fees though.
    yebbut, surely any publicity is good publicity for them and their columnists. Isn't the spat the the very essence of what the Mail is all about, albeit they didn't publish anything themselves?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

On checking, I see that the costs were awarded on the standard, not the indemnity, basis. Monroe must therefore prove (a) that the costs were reasonably incurred, and (b) that the sums claimed are reasonable. Typically, you recover 60-70% on the standard basis.

So, if Monroe's costs are £300,000, she'll probably get back c.£180-200,000 from Hopkins, in addition to £24,000 damages.
    From what you have seen/read - is £300,000 reasonable? To me, an average punter, it seems astronomical.
  • Options

- Full membership

What do you chose?
    Easy. I choose the first. The second is not the equivalent of EEA membership and is far more burdensome.
    Ok, so you chose the first. You get parliament against you, a deep recession, Scotland departing and Ireland reunifying. Still think you'll get 52% to support it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Because the country, by a majority of 17.3m (including Tim) to whatever it was, has just voted for lower immigration. It would be undemocratic for a government to go against their wishes. Traitorous, perhaps.
    No they did not. They voted to leave the EU. That was it. Now I think it is reasonable based on polling to say that there may be a majority for controlling immigration buy to claim that any individual including either me or Tim Martin voted for that is utterly bollocks.

• Options

But the libel insurance premium will be huge.

Is "rentagob insurance" a thing?
This discussion has been closed.