Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first electoral test following the budget – tonight’s loca

Comments

• Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912

Fraser Nelson an illustration of how out of it you can become if you talk only to your own pals down in London. He said the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon were "tanking". Today's MORI poll shows Sturgeon as easily the most popular leader and independence at 50 per cent and the SNP set for another massive victory in the local elections!

Nelson is a Scot who went down to London to make his fortune and spends his time talking Scotland down. Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh is a Londoner who came to Scotland and spends her time talking Scotland up.

I know which one I prefer.
  • Options

nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN THAT MAY CAN'T "CALL" A GENERAL ELECTION!!!!!!1111

I don't know how much value I can add having sunk seven pints - but through my haze I can see you are right about that.
    At this point May should vote for no confidence against herself and she would still crush Corbyn with a 80 seat majority.
    We could even put abolishing all employee NI in the manifesto (with income tax rate changes to "compensate").
    So more money for waging war on France?

Hurrah.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN THAT MAY CAN'T "CALL" A GENERAL ELECTION!!!!!!1111

I don't know how much value I can add having sunk seven pints - but through my haze I can see you are right about that.
    At this point May should vote for no confidence against herself and she would still crush Corbyn with a 80 seat majority.
    We could even put abolishing all employee NI in the manifesto (with income tax rate changes to "compensate").
    So more money for waging war on France?

Hurrah.
    Times have changed, TSE. The threat from the continent is much wider now.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. With Corbyn in charge the Tories could suggest compulsory training courses on the Moon for all headteachers paid for by a 10% supplement on income tax, and still win.
  • Options
    I'm very appreciative of all the work Harry does on these threads but I'm glad not to be pricing up these contests on the basis of some of his estimates! Where did that Derby result come from!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. With Corbyn in charge the Tories could suggest compulsory training courses on the Moon for all headteachers paid for by a 10% supplement on income tax, and still win.
    One of the benefits of a thumping majority should be the chance to do the "right" stuff (e.g. tax simplification) that is usually too difficult [I'm not sure your lunar academy qualifies, though]. Though a surplus rather than a deficit helps enormously...
  • Options
  • Options

I'm very appreciative of all the work Harry does on these threads but I'm glad not to be pricing up these contests on the basis of some of his estimates! Where did that Derby result come from!

https://twitter.com/olivercoppard/status/839988016072515585
    https://twitter.com/olivercoppard/status/839988278921199616
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

Personally I would double employee NI and slash income tax but that is just me
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    TSE- where's that YouGov :D
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    come on TSE - I have to work in morning
  • Options
    Tories have a 19% lead with YouGov

Up 2% from last week
  • Options

Up 2% from last week

oh dear.......
  • Options
    A YouGov poll for The Times found that the measure was backed by 47 per cent of voters, while 33 per cent thought that it was the wrong priority. Fifty-five per cent believed that Mr Hammond had broken the manifesto pledge.
  • Options

Up 2% from last week

Lol. Presumably fieldwork done after the Budget?

Have to say that serves McDonnell & Corbyn right for being so damn opportunistic, opposing something they obviously would privately support.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

A YouGov poll for The Times found that the measure was backed by 47 per cent of voters, while 33 per cent thought that it was the wrong priority. Fifty-five per cent believed that Mr Hammond had broken the manifesto pledge.

Interesting - tbh no one at work seems unduly bothered.

Politicians lie - same old same old

But we are paye

• Options
    edited March 2017

Up 2% from last week

Mrs May's Tories now have a 5% bigger lead over Corbyn Labour than Thatcher's Tories had over Foot Labour in 1983 if that poll is correct, if there was an election tomorrow she would slaughter Labour
  • Options
    TSE, are there exact figures?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Danny565 said:

Up 2% from last week

Lol. Presumably fieldwork done after the Budget?

Have to say that serves McDonnell & Corbyn right for being so damn opportunistic, opposing something they obviously would privately support.
    Exactly. Wankers

They'll all sell their soul for a headline or a sound bite
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

TSE, are there exact figures?

Not yet.
  • Options
    The 19% lead is the biggest Tory lead with YouGov in eight years.
  • Options
    BTW - I'm on holiday.

I'm not even allowed on PB for the next 4 days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

Mrs May's Tories now have a 5% bigger lead over Corbyn Labour than Thatcher's Tories had over Foot Labour in 1983 if that poll is correct, if there was an election tomorrow she would slaughter Labour
    Would be a 6% swing to the Tories and Tories would gain seats like Mansfield, Coventry North West, Bishop Auckland, Scunthorpe and Newport West
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/conservative-targets/
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Scott_P said:

@election_data: Just a reminder, before YouGov's poll tomorrow, that 47% of ,Labour members told me Mr Corbyn should step down if Tories lead by 20%

Only a matter of time.
  • Options

Normal people that seem to understand the public are in charge. Hammond & May could be the dependable bank manager and headmistress in an old English town.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Up 2% from last week

Double diamond platinum status confirmed :smiley:
  • Options
    Artist said:

Scott_P said:

@election_data: Just a reminder, before YouGov's poll tomorrow, that 47% of ,Labour members told me Mr Corbyn should step down if Tories lead by 20%

Only a matter of time.
    Yet even then 53% would not
  • Options
    YouGov poll

Con 44 (+2) Lab 25 (nc) LD 10 (-1) UKIP 11 (-1)

Fieldwork Wed & Thu of this week
  • Options

YouGov poll

Is this the bit where PfP recommends another bet on Labour Most Seats? :p
  • Options
    edited March 2017

YouGov poll

That would be the biggest lead in voteshare terms by any party leader since Baldwin's victory for his national government in 1931 and Corbyn Labour would still be doing 5% worse than Arthur Henderson Labour did then
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1931
  • Options
    The @YouGov poll finds that 55% think the manifesto pledge not to raise NIC had been broken. 16% disagreed
  • Options
    Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

Just a bit of fun, of course.. :smiley:
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds the £2bn fund for social care over three years was backed by 81% of voters and opposed by 7%.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    isam said:

Normal people that seem to understand the public are in charge. Hammond & May could be the dependable bank manager and headmistress in an old English town.
    Royston Vasey?
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds the introduction of a new “T level” vocational qualification was welcomed by 56%.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Andrew Neil saying the NICS ting could hit the Tories in the polls! ☺
  • Options

YouGov poll

xD
  • Options
    isam said:

Andrew Neil saying the NICS ting could hit the Tories in the polls! ☺

If it continues it could. Divided party and all that...
  • Options
    OUT said:

isam said:

Royston Vasey?
    Somewhere in Midsomer!
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds 41% of voters in favour of money for free schools and 38% saw it as a wrong priority.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

YouGov poll

xD
    Are you still a LibDem member? :p I noticed your posts (especially on Brexit) don't seem very "on message" today!
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds 32% believed that the budget was fair, against 24% who said that it was unfair.
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds a quarter of voters believed that Hammond was doing a good job, 21% believed that he was doing badly.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

Not quite. The Tory lead in 1983 was 15.2% in GB - Con 43.5% Lab 28.3%
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds just 8% of voters think John McDonnell would make a better job of Chancellor than Mr Hammond.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited March 2017
    isam said:

Indeed - people think May's policies are essentially the same as Cameron's but she has the added attraction of appearing diligent, hard working and relatively more ordinary / normal.

As opposed to Cameron appearing complacent, lazy and posh / out of touch.

Of course when it came to the crunch enough people backed Cameron (because they trusted him on policy and recognised his exceptional leadership qualities) but May's personal qualities make it easier for marginal voters to vote Con.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

Depends which figures you look at but whichever you take it is still a comfortably bigger lead for May over Corbyn than Thatcher had over Foot on tonight's poll
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll finds 44% of voters said that the govt was managing the economy well, 38% believed that it was handling it badly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Could Witney fall to the Lib Dems at the next GE?

https://twitter.com/lizleffman/status/839995539307540482
  • Options

YouGov poll

You cruel bastard.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

Depends which figures you look at but whichever you take it is still a comfortably bigger lead for May over Corbyn than Thatcher had over Foot on tonight's poll
    As has been pointed out to you several times before, the pollsters use GB figures!
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll, 45% of voters think that the economy would get worse over the next year; 16% thought that it would improve.
  • Options
    May's support is a mile wide, and an inch deep.

Get rid of the utterly useless Jezza and McIRA and replace them with Nandy and Chuka and the game changes, almost overnight.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in the polls atleast, the LibDem surge seems to have fizzled, and possibly even reversing a bit.

Of course local byelections are still telling a different story.
  • Options
    The @YouGov @thetimes poll, 38% of voters believe that their household finances would become worse over the next year up from 33% a year ago
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

YouGov poll

xD
    Are you still a LibDem member? :p I noticed your posts (especially on Brexit) don't seem very "on message" today!
    Shoot me if I ever come across as "on message" here.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, in the polls atleast, the LibDem surge seems to have fizzled, and possibly even reversing a bit.

By their recent standards the LDs had a below par performance tonight in the local by elections outside of Oxfordshire
  • Options
    Good news for Corbyn in that YouGov poll

The @YouGov @thetimes poll more voters believed that a government led by Corbyn would be better at reducing the number of people in poverty.
  • Options
    Slightly disappointed with this poll.

I want to see consistent 25 point Tory leads to trigger a Jezza challenge/resignation.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Get rid of the utterly useless Jezza and McIRA and replace them with Nandy and Chuka and the game changes, almost overnight.

It was a mile wide when she was only ten points up in the polls. Must be at least two miles wide by now :smiley:
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

We'll be up at 25% when I'm in charge.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

As has been pointed out to you several times before, the pollsters use GB figures!
    Regardless of whether UK or GB figures May now has a bigger lead than Thatcher did then
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bojabob said:

It was a mile wide when she was only ten points up in the polls. Must be at least two miles wide by now :smiley:
    And half an inch thick. :)
  • Options

The @YouGov @thetimes poll more voters believed that a government led by Corbyn would be better at reducing the number of people in poverty.

Relative poverty as everyone gets poorer I guess.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

And that's presumably BEFORE boundary changes.

• Options
    Bojabob said:

Not while Brexit is going on and the Labour membership still puts Corbyn and McDonnell as their first choices for leader
  • Options
    That YouGov poll was conducted entirely after the budget.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

On the new boundaries it is 144. (372, 153, 8, 0, 0, 51)
  • Options

The @YouGov @thetimes poll, 45% of voters think that the economy would get worse over the next year; 16% thought that it would improve.

QED.

Jezza is such a joke he can preside over 19pt government leads when economic confidence is -29%.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

The swing won't be uniform, will be bigger in the Midlands I suspect. Touch less in London.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

But some before the negative headlines this morning?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

No chance on tonight's poll especially as they could not even win the parliamentary by election
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

Regardless of whether UK or GB figures May now has a bigger lead than Thatcher did then
    The biggest lead Thatcher polled was 27%, just after the Falklands.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why should people be influenced by such headlines. Is the nation thick ?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Only problem is that very few people are that concerned about poverty - or indeed inequality.

Of course it's Corbyn's favourite topic - but MORI Issues Index consistently shows it way down the list of most people's concerns.
  • Options

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Well then the polls wouldn't have moved. :p
  • Options
    Right that's all the YouGov polling I have (and can find)

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

On the new boundaries it is 144. (372, 153, 8, 0, 0, 51)
    That would exactly match Thatcher's 1983 Commons majority
  • Options
    edited March 2017

No.

(Which is to say, only in an extraordinary set of circumstances - though we do live in extraordinary times).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

It's all about the narrative, and the headlines feed into that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

The width of her support will extend to several miles while ever the likes of @NickPalmer continue to prop up the Corbynite regime - the true enemy of working people. The only solace is it won't get any deeper.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Whateasily lead sheep the people are. No wonder Cummings stuck such crap about £350 million for the NHS on the side of a bus.
  • Options

YouGov poll

If they close the gap in the opinion polls by 5-10% I reckon their price will shorten so maybe we should have that bet?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Up 2% from last week

The biggest lead Thatcher polled was 27%, just after the Falklands.
    True though I was looking at the actual general election result
  • Options
    RobD said:

Those numbered baxtered:

CON 391
    LAB 172
    LD 8 (titters)
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 56

Majority of 132.

I suspect it would be worse for SNP (slightly) and Lab (a good deal), and better for Con and LD.

LDs are making a recovery where it matters, while Con is making inroads into exactly the demographics that would deliver northern and midlands seats by the bucketload. Con would also stand a decent chance of gaining half a dozen or so seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

isam said:

Indeed - people think May's policies are essentially the same as Cameron's but she has the added attraction of appearing diligent, hard working and relatively more ordinary / normal.

As opposed to Cameron appearing complacent, lazy and posh / out of touch.

Of course when it came to the crunch enough people backed Cameron (because they trusted him on policy and recognised his exceptional leadership qualities) but May's personal qualities make it easier for marginal voters to vote Con.
    I think May embodies what people (not all Tory voters) like about the Conservatives: sensible, appearing to put the country ahead of political games, careful with the purse-strings but at the same time not un-caring about normal people. Like isam says, she puts in mind the headmistress who's strict and works the pupils hard, but ultimately wants the best for them.

Cameron sometimes had a few of those qualities, but most of the time, he (and Osborne all of the time) embodied what people disliked about the party: uncaring about anyone less privileged or who depended on public services, nasty, always playing political games.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Whateasily lead sheep the people are. No wonder Cummings stuck such crap about £350 million for the NHS on the side of a bus.
    It was an effective strategy - the remain camp didn't have a response. When they countered it by saying "but it's only £150mn a week!" it still sounded like a lot of money.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

Well then the polls wouldn't have moved. :p
    May is trusted by more and more people to do less and less, until eventually she'll be trusted by everybody to do nothing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited March 2017
    Let's not get too excited.

Labour had 31% leads in early 1999
  • Options

Under the leadership of Comrade Corbyn there would be no poverty ever, anywhere, just as there is not in North Korea of course, everyone's life would be planned to perfection by the Great Leader!
  • Options

Might need a reminder on how the 2001 election went.... :p
  • Options

Blair really should have joined the Euro...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Might need a reminder on how the 2001 election went.... :p
    Very little change in the Governing party's majority on the previous election.
  • Options

Blair really should have joined the Euro...
    Would have turned out great in 2008!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

It was an effective strategy - the remain camp didn't have a response. When they countered it by saying "but it's only £150mn a week!" it still sounded like a lot of money.
    When I worked on Romford Market as a schoolboy my boss always used to get the teas in for us and the stall next door, and the stallholder next door used to say he'd chip in half at the end of the week, but always "forgot"

One day when he hadn't paid his dues for a fortnight or so, my boss asked for the £25 he owed him. Quick as a flash he said "it's only £21"... bang! He had his dough!
  • Options
    I'm of the view the bigger the Tory lead, the better. The unions read polling and this forum. Len McCluskey - time to call time on JC.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Broxbourne
    Waltham Cross
    CON gain from Lab
    9 March 2017

Conservative 650 41.0 -3.5
    Labour 646 40.8 -14.8
    UKIP 200 12.6 12.6
    Lib Dem 89 5.6 5.6
This discussion has been closed.