Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first electoral test following the budget – tonight’s loca

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

RobD said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Voodoo Pole poll.

"This is totally reversed from 2014
    I am confident that a lot of EU nationals who voted No last time will now be fervent YES votes"

This seems like the most obvious demographic whose vote will flip en masse to Yes.
    All six of them.
    Roughly 180,000, I think.
    This gives some different figures:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/population/population-estimates/estimates-of-special-populations/population-by-country-of-birth-and-nationality
    That gives 190,000? Although country of birth doesn't necessarily relate to citizenship (although it usually does)

My values were from here, which state the figure at 181,000 - http://www.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S5/SB_16-86_EU_nationals_living_in_Scotland.pdf
    Two thirds of citizens in Scotland that were not born there do not hold citizenship.

Polish born = 76,000 - 1.4% of population.

Today's MORI had No six points clear before weighting, and it is ipsos-Mori (remain to win by 8, Miliband in front until a fortnight before the GE).
    Although MORI's final IndyRef poll was a 2% lead for No, compared with the final 11% lead.
    Nah Ipsos Mori's final Indyref poll gave No a 6% lead.

Ipsos MORI is delighted to be the joint closest of the final polls on the Scottish independence referendum. Our final poll for The Evening Standard put No on 53% and Yes on 47%, compared with a final result of 55% for No and 45% for Yes. This is well within the margin of error for polls of this sample size.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/latestnews/1593/Scottish-Independence-Referendum-The-final-polls.aspx

I know that, I attended the party to celebrate.
    That was just their headline figure. Including DKs they predicted Yes would get 45%.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    '.....would not be easy for principled Labour MPs.'

If it was a choice between kicking the Tories for a very short term hit, or doing the right thing, I think we all know which way a Labour MP would go.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Voodoo Pole poll.

I am confident that a lot of EU nationals who voted No last time will now be fervent YES votes"

This seems like the most obvious demographic whose vote will flip en masse to Yes.
    All six of them.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/population/population-estimates/estimates-of-special-populations/population-by-country-of-birth-and-nationality
    That gives 190,000? Although country of birth doesn't necessarily relate to citizenship (although it usually does)

My values were from here, which state the figure at 181,000 - http://www.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S5/SB_16-86_EU_nationals_living_in_Scotland.pdf
    Two thirds of citizens in Scotland that were not born there do not hold citizenship.

Today's MORI had No six points clear before weighting, and it is ipsos-Mori (remain to win by 8, Miliband in front until a fortnight before the GE).
    Although MORI's final IndyRef poll was a 2% lead for No, compared with the final 11% lead.

Ipsos MORI is delighted to be the joint closest of the final polls on the Scottish independence referendum. Our final poll for The Evening Standard put No on 53% and Yes on 47%, compared with a final result of 55% for No and 45% for Yes. This is well within the margin of error for polls of this sample size.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/latestnews/1593/Scottish-Independence-Referendum-The-final-polls.aspx

That was just their headline figure. Including DKs they predicted Yes would get 45%.
    So, you looked for the one you liked?
  • Options
    I personally met two kinds of EU citizens living in Scotland during the Referendum: those who chose not to vote as they thought it was none of their business and those who were voting No as they'd been told the Nazi SNP would throw them out of the country.

I met only 1 EU Citizen voting Yes.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Jason said:

'.....would not be easy for principled Labour MPs.'

If it was a choice between kicking the Tories for a very short term hit, or doing the right thing, I think we all know which way a Labour MP would go.

Not all of them.

• Options
    chestnut said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Voodoo Pole poll.

All six of them.

So, you looked for the one you liked?
    Well, Given 47% was easily within the margin of error it's pretty moot isn't it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    Yeah, yeah, I know, it's the Express..

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/839961067165982720
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    edited March 2017
    Looks like Cameron is saying, "Breaking a manifesto promise is just stupidity."

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/839962030618660864
  • Options
    Lock him up

Congress Warns Donald Trump: Stop Deleting Your Tweets

By doing so, Trump and his staff may be violating federal record keeping laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-tweets-archived_us_58c1a8d3e4b0d1078ca51126?section=politics
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Looks like Cameron is saying, "Breaking a manifesto promise is just stupidity."

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/839962030618660864

Cameron knows all about stupidity.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Time. That's what Theresa May has bought herself tonight. She must know she'd lose a vote on rise in NICs if held now

Opponents need to explain how 12% NI is fair on the 27m, while a lower rate is unfair on 4m.

Magical pot of benefits for PAYE employees apparently. Which come remarkably from the employer...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

In Corbyn coup land, the plotters have sabotaged the East Coast mainline to prevent John McDonnell from appearing on Question Time.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/839912841503199232

In Corbyn coup land, the plotters have sabotaged the East Coast mainline to prevent John McDonnell from appearing on Question Time.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/839912841503199232

Network Rail is already in public ownership.

If it is the line which is the problem it is the responsibility of a publically owned company not a private company

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    edited March 2017

Lock him up

Congress Warns Donald Trump: Stop Deleting Your Tweets

By doing so, Trump and his staff may be violating federal record keeping laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-tweets-archived_us_58c1a8d3e4b0d1078ca51126?section=politics

Especially given his criticism of Hillary's recordkeeping that is very careless on his team's part
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017

perdix said:

SE NICs need reform .A huge number of very highly paid people are abusing the current system.

I think that's right. And another group who get away scot free is people who go on working after 65 (like me). Like everyone else, I benefit from a variety of things partly funded by NI, and I pay higher rate tax. Why do people like me pay not a penny in NI?
    The Tories are not going to take on pensioners while they represent their key source of votes.
    Nick is right, both in terms of what is right, and what is politically possible. I'm of an age where I know a lot of people of pensionable age who are still working (many of them highly paid). I don't think a single one of them would object to paying NI. In fact, it normally comes as a complete surprise to them when they find they don't have to pay NI when they continue working after retirement age.

In political terms, it's a no-brainer. It completely baffles me that no major party advocates fixing this quite absurd anomaly.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Newsnight saying there's infighting between No 10 and the Treasury.

Treasury apparently saying May's advisers have "anti-Tory ideas".
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Newsnight saying there's infighting between No 10 and the Treasury.

Treasury apparently saying May's advisers have "anti-Tory ideas".

Which is what Michael Gove effectively wrote this evening
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39217075

Boris - EU can forget vast payments into their budget.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's the Express..

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/839961067165982720

Given her own arbitrary timeline was the end of this month, IIRC, then a report to move it up to 'get on' with it would surely be a distraction measure.
  • Options
    LOL at Cameron's spin doctor sanctimoniously saying "we always were very careful to never break an election promise".

Then why did they try to stop people's tax credits mere WEEKS after winning an election on a promise to leave tax credits alone...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

LOL at Cameron's spin doctor sanctimoniously saying "we always were very careful to never break an election promise".

Then why did they try to stop people's tax credits mere WEEKS after winning an election on a promise to leave tax credits alone...

No top down reorganisation of the NHS.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/telegraph/status/839967604487958529

:D
  • Options
    Very interesting leaking of Dave's private polling from 2015

The reason Cameron was so resolute on this point was because the Tories had commissioned post-election polling from Crosby-Textor-Fullbrook asking the public what they expected of the government.

CTF found that the key voter desire was for the government to deliver on promises. Whatever sophistry they now spin voters understood the Tory tax lock promise was no VAT, National Insurance or income tax rises. Theresa May was sat opposite David Cameron when he delivered his pollster’s key message whilst waving the manifesto in front of her – she is now defying Dave’s warning and allowing Hammond to trash the Tory brand…

https://order-order.com/2017/03/09/tory-internal-polling-showed-keeping-promises-was-key-desire-of-public/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    So much for May a)being competent in overseeing things and b) determined, if these reports are correct.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Excellent monologue on Brexit by Richard Dawkins on Newsnight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So much for May a)being competent in overseeing things and b) determined, if these reports are correct.

She is delaying it until the autumn apparently but it will still go ahead
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Young, non Tory Scottish bloke on QT gave the best comment so far on this NICS nonsense.

"People are making a big deal out of nothing, I'm not really bothered, give them some wiggle room"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What bunch of wimps. We're fucked with Brexit if this is the level of backing down May performs when under the most minute particle of pressure.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Very interesting leaking of Dave's private polling from 2015

The reason Cameron was so resolute on this point was because the Tories had commissioned post-election polling from Crosby-Textor-Fullbrook asking the public what they expected of the government.

CTF found that the key voter desire was for the government to deliver on promises. Whatever sophistry they now spin voters understood the Tory tax lock promise was no VAT, National Insurance or income tax rises. Theresa May was sat opposite David Cameron when he delivered his pollster’s key message whilst waving the manifesto in front of her – she is now defying Dave’s warning and allowing Hammond to trash the Tory brand…

https://order-order.com/2017/03/09/tory-internal-polling-showed-keeping-promises-was-key-desire-of-public/

None of this would have happened in the first place without Dave's absurd manifesto commitment to keep all taxes down and cut IHT while supporting the NHS and social care, something had to give
  • Options
    Karen Bradley is rather good, I think. Hadn't noticed her before.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What bunch of wimps. We're fucked with Brexit if this is the level of backing down May performs when under the most minute particle of pressure.

Well, it is the Mail. The headline was either going to be 'May crushes NI rebels' or 'May retreats after just 24 hours'. Probably both in successive editions, and neither much related to reality.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the Laura Kuenssberg Brexit documentary, btw?

Quite a scary but plausible suggestion was made in it: The Brexit negotiations (such as they are) might be over within WEEKS of Article 50 being triggered. The scenario being that the EU demand £50bn or something, the UK responds "no way", then the EU says "in that case we have nothing more to discuss", and we suddenly come out with no deal or preparation time at all.
  • Options
    The 24hrs News cycle, social media, and partisan point scoring paralyses politics in this country. Oh for a leader who just says "Fuck it, I'm doing it because I think its right. Vote for someone else if you don't like it"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Read the smallprint, there is no retreat she has just delayed it to the autumn to shut the hysterical headless chicken press up
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Quite a scary but plausible suggestion was made in it: The Brexit negotiations (such as they are) might be over within WEEKS of Article 50 being triggered. The scenario being that the EU demand £50bn or something, the UK responds "no way", then the EU says "in that case we have nothing more to discuss", and we suddenly come out with no deal or preparation time at all.

Government lawyers have already said there is no obligation to provide that high a sum without a deal and I expect most voters will say 'Sod off EU then!'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Read the smallprint, there is no retreat she has just delayed it to the autumn to shut the hysterical headless chicken press up
    I can picture you saying in 12 months time that she's not retreating, just delaying her demand for a job offer for EU citizens...
  • Options
    isam said:

The 24hrs News cycle, social media, and partisan point scoring paralyses politics in this country. Oh for a leader who just says "Fuck it, I'm doing it because I think its right. Vote for someone else if you don't like it"

It is what Trump has done in the USA.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,301
    Parliament website:

Commons considering EU Lords amendments on Monday straight after Defence Questions and 10 Minute motion. So looks like approx 4pm start.

Lords timetable not yet known - not sure if it could go back to the Lords on Monday evening - I guess Tuesday more likely.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Danny565 said:

good. a 2 year divorce shows EU is utterly unfit for purpose. The home for the Liberal elite
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I can picture you saying in 12 months time that she's not retreating, just delaying her demand for a job offer for EU citizens...
    Brexit negotiations will probably still be ongoing in 12 months time and as I said earlier she will not retreat on free movement controls even in the form of a job offer or she will lose over half her voters to UKIP
  • Options
    WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN THAT MAY CAN'T "CALL" A GENERAL ELECTION!!!!!!1111
  • Options
    Exon CON hold apparently
  • Options
    Polly right on the first question - it was a ridiculous pledge.
  • Options
    Libs gain Hailey in Oxon
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:
    Ha! Much better then yesterday's.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Rutland Con hold
    Con 238
    LDem 123
    UKIP 39

West Oxon is a LDem gain from Con
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

It is what Trump has done in the USA.
    Well I can see why it worked. Why do politicians try to be all things to all people? It is bullshit!

Why couldn't Corbyn just say he hated Nuclear power in Copeland for instance? We all knew it, but he just couldn't say it... UKIP are getting a bit like it too it seems. Just go for it free market style!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    S
    Dixie said:

Exon CON hold apparently

So on OGH's 'first electoral test following the budget' which is the subject of this thread the Tories have held off the LDs in Exton, perhaps May and Hammond have even got a post budget bounce?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

... and the EU comes away with £0, massive disruption to their commerce, huge write-downs on their investments in the UK, utter confusion over the rights of their citizens here, disruption to their anti-terrorism and defence efforts, and no access to their main source of financial expertise and capital-raising.

One has to hope that they are not completely bonkers.
  • Options
    Tories gain in Broxbourne. Really good news for the country, and Mrs May
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Danny565 said:

Surely no-one would respond "No way". They'd be enquiring what was being offered in return for such vast largesse, wouldn't they?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

S

Dixie said:

Exon CON hold apparently

So on OGH's 'first electoral test following the budget' which is the subject of this thread the Tories have held off the LDs in Exton, perhaps May and Hammond have even got a post budget bounce?
    by-elections are haphazard.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    isam said:

I reckon everyone's just over-excited, like tired children, and seizing on anything that crops up to get in a paddy about.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    AnneJGP said:

isam said:

I reckon everyone's just over-excited, like tired children, and seizing on anything that crops up to get in a paddy about.
    Everything is a headline nowadays, it is so tiresome

I don't like to use the phrase, but all this razzamatazz and sensationalism... it's just not British!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @michaelsavage: New YouGov poll in the Times tomorrow, with a rather large Tory lead.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    If Le Pen's support collapses, where do her votes go? I don't reckon either Fillon or Macron would take many. Mélenchon and Dupont-Aignan might get some though.

The French ambassador to Japan says in Le Monde that he will refuse to serve if Le Pen becomes president. I wonder who will pay his pension? The French ambassador to the US writes in the Washington Post that the election of Le Pen would be a "total disaster". All we need now is a statement by the French ambassador to the EU and we'd have a triple! If I were a journalist I'd call his office and ask whether he agrees with his two ambassadorial colleagues.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

If Le Pen's support collapses, where do her votes go? I don't reckon either Fillon or Macron would take many.

Fillon would benefit the most of all the runners.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

If Le Pen's support collapses, where do her votes go? I don't reckon either Fillon or Macron would take many.

Dupont-Aignon, non? Dupont-Aignan?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

It is not collapsing, at least in the 1st round she still leads most polls, Fillon or Macron's vote is more shaky than hers
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Danny565 said:

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO LEARN THAT MAY CAN'T "CALL" A GENERAL ELECTION!!!!!!1111

I don't know how much value I can add having sunk seven pints - but through my haze I can see you are right about that.
  • Options
    Waltham Cross

Another great example of Corbynism reaching the parts that other factions of the Labour movement cannot reach.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @election_data: Just a reminder, before YouGov's poll tomorrow, that 47% of ,Labour members told me Mr Corbyn should step down if Tories lead by 20%
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

The French ambassador to Japan says in Le Monde that he will refuse to serve if Le Pen becomes president. I wonder who will pay his pension? The French ambassador to the US writes in the Washington Post that the election of Le Pen would be a "total disaster".

Well at least if she does win we won't have to worry about Brexit because the EU will collapse within 5 minutes anyway! Macron is the most likely winner but the consequences of a Le Pen win would be huge for the EU and for NATO and would also most likely be a hammer blow for global free trade
  • Options

Danny565 said:

... and the EU comes away with £0, massive disruption to their commerce, huge write-downs on their investments in the UK, utter confusion over the rights of their citizens here, disruption to their anti-terrorism and defence efforts, and no access to their main source of financial expertise and capital-raising.

One has to hope that they are not completely bonkers.
    What is to stop the EU putting a dire deal (no deal) on the table in the hope we change our mind in the 24-month A50 transition? Surely that is exactly what game theory suggests they should do
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

@election_data: Just a reminder, before YouGov's poll tomorrow, that 47% of ,Labour members told me Mr Corbyn should step down if Tories lead by 20%

Well well. It would seem, contrary to the media reports, people quite like the idea of a tax-raising Budget.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    isam said:

Yes, that's part of Corbyn's appeal for me. But...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Well well. It would seem, contrary to the media reports, people quite like the idea of a tax-raising Budget.
    PAYE employees realise how much more tax (And if the 'bedroom tax' can be called a tax then NI sure as hell can be) they're paying now. The cat is out the bag.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sounds like a whopping YouGov on its way. 20% lead?

Tory vote actually held up ok in W Oxon - without knowing more about the 33% Indy from 2016 difficult to say what the underlying swing is. But Tory losses to LDs and gains from Lab seem to be the SOP at the moment.

@britainelects
    Hailey, Minster Lovell & Leafield (W. Oxfordshire):
    LD: 46.7% (+34.0)
    CON: 41.5% (+3.8)
    LAB: 5.8% (-4.5)
    GRN: 3.1% (-2.8)
    UKIP: 2.9% (+2.9)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyan said:

It is not collapsing, at least in the 1st round she still leads most polls, Fillon or Macron's vote is more shaky than hers
    I know it's not collapsing. This was just hypothetical.
  • Options

isam said:

But?
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

isam said:

But?
    He's useless :p ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Somebody share the YouGov! This is cruel...
  • Options
    Cyan said:

HYUFD said:

Cyan said:

I know it's not collapsing. This was just hypothetical.
    Le Pen is more likely to benefit from a collapsing Fillon than the reverse I think
  • Options

Tory vote actually held up ok in W Oxon - without knowing more about the 33% Indy from 2016 difficult to say what the underlying swing is. But Tory losses to LDs and gains from Lab seem to be the SOP at the moment.

@britainelects

Increase in Tory vote. NIC increase is popular then......
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Somebody share the YouGov! This is cruel...

I will be sharing the YouGov poll shortly after midnight.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Cyan said:

Dupont-Aignon, non? Dupont-Aignan?
    I'm trying to hold back from talking about Dupont-Aignan too much, but boy will I enjoy doing a Nigel Farage impression and saying to everyone "You're not laughing at me now" if he wins :)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Government lawyers have already said there is no obligation to provide that high a sum without a deal and I expect most voters will say 'Sod off EU then!'
    Lets hope for all our sakes it wasn't the same government lawyers that assured us Mrs May had the right to trigger A50 without parliamentary approval
  • Options
    nunu said:

@britainelects

Increase in Tory vote. NIC increase is popular then......
    Indeed, overall tonight's council by election results are the best the Tories have had in months
  • Options

isam said:

But, as I said in my edit, he didn't have the bollocks to just say what he thought re nuclear in Copeland, or on Brexit. This is his BIG chance, his free hit, his time to shine and he is not even going for it, just alienating EVERYONE!!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

I don't know how much value I can add having sunk seven pints - but through my haze I can see you are right about that.
    At this point May should vote for no confidence against herself and she would still crush Corbyn with a 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

PAYE employees realise how much more tax (And if the 'bedroom tax' can be called a tax then NI sure as hell can be) they're paying now. The cat is out the bag.
    I'm still bemused why there's so much fuss about this thing hitting WELL-PAID self-employed people who can well afford the hit, while so little fuss about the business rates fiasco, which actually is going to force small High Street businesses (and their generally lower-paid workers) to go under.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Lets hope for all our sakes it wasn't the same government lawyers that assured us Mrs May had the right to trigger A50 without parliamentary approval
    It is all politics really masquerading as law
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    nunu said:

Bojabob said:

Danny565 said:

At this point May should vote for no confidence against herself and she would still crush Corbyn with a 80 seat majority.
    We could even put abolishing all employee NI in the manifesto (with income tax rate changes to "compensate").
This discussion has been closed.