Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Times reporting that the Tories are “deeply worried” about

Comments

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Roger said:

Cyan said:

The French National Front are holding their big annual march in Paris on 1 May, between the two rounds of the presidential election. Will there be a counter-demonstration? Events on the street could have an effect on the voting. The National Front are still hated by many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZB9hOQ0DQ

Great bit of footage. Thank goodness 70% of the French wouldn't vote for them if the alternative was a donkey.
    Le Pen is polling a lot higher than 30%. Unfortunately there isn't so much anti-FN music in France now as there was in 2002, but that song by Bérurier Noir will hopefully be remembered on the anti-FN march in Paris on 1 May. If there isn't an anti-FN march on that day, things look bad. No pasaran!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Nigelb said:

GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Trump's morning ranting regarding wire tapping (in fact its a FISA warrant, no small thing) are indicative of many things in the man's personality but no one this side of the Atlantic has mentioned the biggest one:

Fear.

Seven associates in the Trump campaign had more than one private contact Russian government and/or intelligence cut outs during that election.

Seven is a lot.

Funnily enough, the FISA procedures were put in place post Nixon in order to prevent the politically motivated use of surveillance assets against political opponents as practiced by Nixon:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some substance to the Russia/Trump allegations after all.
    Rubbish. You aren't some reluctant deep-thinking convert to the conspiracy theories.
    You've been an advocate of the smears all along.
    That there's been smoke has been obvious to all but the most one eyed observers. The probability that there is genuine combustion is increasing.

That Trump is a narcissistic scofflaw, massively ignorant of the US Constitution is also pretty clear. That he actually collaborated with the Russians in subverting the electoral process would nonetheless be a surprise.
    I'm to the point I've stopped listening to all the Russia nonsense. I don't see what the story is. In essence AG Sessions was asked a question during his confirmation hearing by Al Franken, and answered dishonestly. That's about it. All the rest of it seems to be just noise with the media and democrats desperately trying to link the whole "Russia" thing to the Trump administration.

Is there a link? We don't know at present. It's just mindless noise, and calling someone a "narcissistic scofflaw" is a good example - it conveys nothing and doesn't move the subject forward.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Nigelb said:

GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Trump's morning ranting regarding wire tapping (in fact its a FISA warrant, no small thing) are indicative of many things in the man's personality but no one this side of the Atlantic has mentioned the biggest one:

Fear.

Seven associates in the Trump campaign had more than one private contact Russian government and/or intelligence cut outs during that election.

Seven is a lot.

Funnily enough, the FISA procedures were put in place post Nixon in order to prevent the politically motivated use of surveillance assets against political opponents as practiced by Nixon:

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some substance to the Russia/Trump allegations after all.
    Rubbish. You aren't some reluctant deep-thinking convert to the conspiracy theories.
    That there's been smoke has been obvious to all but the most one eyed observers. The probability that there is genuine combustion is increasing.

That Trump is a narcissistic scofflaw, massively ignorant of the US Constitution is also pretty clear. That he actually collaborated with the Russians in subverting the electoral process would nonetheless be a surprise.
    'The Russians'. How old are we?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

A quick vacation question for any rail buffs out there - in addition to planning a trip to the UK next year, this year I'm pondering something I haven't done since I was a teenager - ride the train.

There are essentially 2 - possibly 3 - options. They're all about 2300-2500 miles

1. The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver

2. The California Zephyr - Chicago to San Francisco.

3. The Texas Eagle - Chicago to Texas to Los Angeles

The first two have observation dome cars etc, not sure about the Texas Eagle.

Does anyone have experience of any of these? - or suggestions?

I suspect the Canadian might have the most stunning scenery.

I've done some the Canadian route, and most of it is across the plains provinces and it's actually very boring.

Annoyingly, I got off before the Rockies.
    The Rockies are what I am looking forward to!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    So, either Trump or Obama is lying. I wonder which one it is.
    https://twitter.com/katenocera/status/838082403126165505
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited March 2017
    Nigelb said:

GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Fear.

Seven is a lot.

Massively ignorant indeed. Shouldn't a President know how to spell tapp (sic)?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-wiretaps-20170304-story.html

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited March 2017

felix said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I expect Scot Conservatives to take seats from the SNP and labour in May. The obsession with another referendum by Nicola will be her downfall as it will be lost

But surely a second referendum won't happen because 'voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May'?
    Indeed I suspect that in this year's election there will be a relative swing from SNP to the Tories compared to last time. £10 if you want a bet?
    Ruth Davidson, along with presiding over the Conservatives worst ever vote share at a general election, is also the only Tory leader in 22 years to have lost seats at Scottish council elections.
    Are you predicting net losses for Scot conservatives in May
    No given their low,low base to work with. I find the hagiography of Ruth Davidson rather strange given the series of electoral disaster she presided over before (and during) SLab completely imploded and she picked up the scraps.

A scant 400 votes different in 2015 and there would be no Tory MPs in Scotland.
    You seem happy to gloss over Ms Davidson's performance in the Scottish parliament elections just last year. Funny that.
    You mean getting less than lamentable SLab in the constitiuency vote, and 22.9% on the List? A performance even Corbyn Labour might baulk at.
    Corbyn's Labour got 19.1% in the list so why would they baulk at 22.9%?

Oh and that was an increase of over 10% in the list share.
    If you think SLab is 'Corbyn's' Labour, you haven't been paying attention. They're so not Corbynite they were even willing to have the dire Owen Smith as leader.

Corbyn is more unpopular than May in Scotland. And more unpopular than Kezia Dugdale. SLab policies are well to the left of the SNP.

SLab finally adopts some left wing policies at the point when there is precisely zero chance of them enacting them. I'm sure there's a morality tale in there somewhere, not to mention a psychological study.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

A quick vacation question for any rail buffs out there - in addition to planning a trip to the UK next year, this year I'm pondering something I haven't done since I was a teenager - ride the train.

There are essentially 2 - possibly 3 - options. They're all about 2300-2500 miles

I've done some the Canadian route, and most of it is across the plains provinces and it's actually very boring.

Don't get on in Toronto. It's a long, long way from there to the mountains.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    If you believe that you'll believe anything. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Ah, I was going to reply to this with some surprise as it's a hugely definitive and precise statement and therefore a massive hostage to fortune.

I couldn't imagine that it would be issued without caveat. Then you posted the second tweet and there it is. You could drive a coach and horses through that "by the DoJ ... as part of that".

Great lawyer weaseling there.
  • Options

felix said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I expect Scot Conservatives to take seats from the SNP and labour in May. The obsession with another referendum by Nicola will be her downfall as it will be lost

But surely a second referendum won't happen because 'voters across Scotland will have the chance to send a clear message to the SNP that they do not want a second independence referendum, by voting Scottish Conservative and Unionist on 4 May'?
    Indeed I suspect that in this year's election there will be a relative swing from SNP to the Tories compared to last time. £10 if you want a bet?
    Ruth Davidson, along with presiding over the Conservatives worst ever vote share at a general election, is also the only Tory leader in 22 years to have lost seats at Scottish council elections.
    No given their low,low base to work with. I find the hagiography of Ruth Davidson rather strange given the series of electoral disaster she presided over before (and during) SLab completely imploded and she picked up the scraps.

You seem happy to gloss over Ms Davidson's performance in the Scottish parliament elections just last year. Funny that.
    You mean getting less than lamentable SLab in the constitiuency vote, and 22.9% on the List? A performance even Corbyn Labour might baulk at.
    Corbyn's Labour got 19.1% in the list so why would they baulk at 22.9%?

Oh and that was an increase of over 10% in the list share.
    If you think SLab is 'Corbyn's' Labour, you haven't been paying attention. They're so not Corbynite they were even willing to have the dire Owen Smith as leader.

Corbyn is more unpopular than May in Scotland. And more unpopular than Kezia Dugdale. SLab policies are well to the left of the SNP.

SLab finally adopts some left wing policies at the point when there is precisely zero chance of them enacting them. I'm sure there's a morality tale in there somewhere, not to metion a psychological study.

I feel sorry for them. They are reaping what was sown by others over many years. The only thing that will make Labour relevant again in Scotland is independence.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Fear.

Seven is a lot.

Massively ignorant indeed. Shouldn't a President know how to spell tapp (sic)?

Potatoe.

Trump has already given us "honered" and "unpresidented" - the latter being a genius one-word summation of the Trump phenomenon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    GeoffM said:

Ah, I was going to reply to this with some surprise as it's a hugely definitive and precise statement and therefore a massive hostage to fortune.

I couldn't imagine that it would be issued without caveat. Then you posted the second tweet and there it is. You could drive a coach and horses through that "by the DoJ ... as part of that".

Great lawyer weaseling there.
    Yes, you would expect some US citizens to be under surveillance, those on terrorist watch lists for example.
  • Options
    Obama is effectively lying: see what his administration did to James Rosen and his parents.If that isn't "surveillance on a US citizen", then nothing is.
  • Options

Look at the massive caveats in the full statement.

They cherrypicked half a sentence to make a tweet headline.
    No wonder it's such a terrible medium for "news".
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. G, let's hope Fillon gets tossed overboard.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

Don't get on in Toronto. It's a long, long way from there to the mountains.

I used to live in Toronto, so part of the attraction of The Canadian is getting to see old friends. I'll take my iPod and Kindle.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited March 2017
    The President doesn't pick people and say 'put them under watch'.

Thus, technically the Obama statement is correct but in reality he would have been aware of something as sensitive as an counter intelligence investigation of a presidential candidate's campaign, especially if it included the candidate themselves.

I've said this before but it bears noting again. The guys who handle this kind of thing within the FBI are quite a separate outfit from the rest of the FBI. Same overall management but runs very differently.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    GeoffM said:

Look at the massive caveats in the full statement.

They cherrypicked half a sentence to make a tweet headline.
    No wonder it's such a terrible medium for "news".
    Thanks. Just lawyerly vapid bilge.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Obama is effectively lying: see what his administration did to James Rosen and his parents.If that isn't "surveillance on a US citizen", then nothing is.
    But is he? Does Eric Holder count as a "White House official"

"neither Obama or any White House official..."

That still leaves a metric anthill of people who could have signed it and not be covered by this press release.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Tim_B said:

I find that tweeted declaration rather odd, surely there must have been at least one occasion when surveillance was ordered by the WH, Obama ordered the death of an American citizen by drone for Christ sake, what’s a wiretap or two.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2017
    Trump's spelling mistakes are the least of the world's worries right now. What's very scary is that he comes across as erratic and utterly unhinged. Furthermore, his supporters appear to be keen to be believe everything he says, and no inclination whatsoever to question him.

EDIT: From Y0kels' statement it appears Obama isn't lying after all.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I feel sorry for them. They are reaping what was sown by others over many years. The only thing that will make Labour relevant again in Scotland is independence.

If SLab was to back independence then, it is fairly self evident to me, that Independence would happen and they would be in prime position to take over from the disintegration of the SNP post independence.

Their Unionism is an amazingly principled stand which is a rarity in this modern, politically cynical world.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

That still leaves a metric anthill of people who could have signed it and not be covered by this press release.

Trump accused Obama. Now Obama has stated categorically he never did it. One of them is lying.3

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Just make sure the Canadian does the Rockies in daylight - the Rocky Mountaineer is probably your better option
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

As a cabinet member I would assume he counts. If cabinet members are not "White House Officials" then what are they?
  • Options
    Someone earlier *cough* suggested in a Betting Post that this might bring about a General Election, sooner rather than later, pointing out that odds of 3/1 or slightly better were available against a poll taking place during 2017.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Mr. G, let's hope Fillon gets tossed overboard.

Let's hope so. It is probably significant they are bringing the meeting forward 24 hours. Still trying to work out whether it means he is more likely to be ditched or more likely to stay though.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Trump accused Obama. Now Obama has stated categorically he never did it. One of them is lying.3

Trump is the definitive loud and brash New York deal maker, and is given to hyperbole and mis-statement. But given Obama's long record of outright lying and deceit, (he was even made 'Liar of the Year' by the normally supine Washington Post) I'd go for the proven liar over the blowhard.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    BlockQuote disaster zone
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

As a cabinet member I would assume he counts. If cabinet members are not "White House Officials" then what are they?

I'm not sure and it's a technical distinction I guess.

Boris Johnson isn't a Foreign Office Official but his Permanent Secretary is one.
    That sounds right to me.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Someone earlier *cough* suggested in a Betting Post that this might bring about a General Election, sooner rather than later, pointing out that odds of 3/1 or slightly better were available against a poll taking place during 2017.

I'm on 12/1 for 2017 and 16/1 for both 2018 and 2019. The latter two are both currently 10/1 with Ladbrokes and they're probably decent prices.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If SLab was to back independence then, it is fairly self evident to me, that Independence would happen and they would be in prime position to take over from the disintegration of the SNP post independence.

Their Unionism is an amazingly principled stand which is a rarity in this modern, politically cynical world.

It is clearly hugely disadvantageous to them, but so is all the old machine baggage. Labour took Scotland for granted, did not take the SNP seriously and has paid the price.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Trump is the definitive loud and brash New York deal maker, and is given to hyperbole and mis-statement. But given Obama's long record of outright lying and deceit, (he was even made 'Liar of the Year' by the normally supine Washington Post) I'd go for the proven liar over the blowhard.
    Hasn't Trump lied e.g. the most Electoral College votes since Ronald Reagan stuff?
  • Options
    Liverpool = champions when playing north london clubs, iffy against the rest.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Maurinho watchers might like to file this under 'you couldn't make it up....'

From the BBC report

"................Both players could face retrospective action if referee Kevin Friend says he did not see either incident.

"Zlatan is a big man," added 54-year-old Mourinho.

"We are from that generation of street football and football for big guys. We are not the kind of generation who goes to the media and cries about what happened."
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Given to hyperbole and mis-statement. That's up there with alternative facts :-D

But the good thing here is that we will find out. Trump has the power to release the information he has demonstrating that Obama did what he has claimed. And he is clearly obliged to do so.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Alistair said:

That is a thought provoking post.Does SLAB have many voices asking to change this stance ?
  • Options

I'm on 12/1 for 2017 and 16/1 for both 2018 and 2019. The latter two are both currently 10/1 with Ladbrokes and they're probably decent prices.
    Nice betting - oh yea!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited March 2017
    That's BS for starters. Anwar al-Awlaki, a US citizen, was definitely under surveillance.

What Obama has given is a very lawyerly answer, and I suspect it means that no US-resident US citizen was ever specifically named in an application for a warrant at the FISA court.

Non-resident US citizens and US citizens through the various loop holes that are used are surveilled. One loop hole is that there only has to be a 51% chance of a target being foreign to allow blanket surveillance, that picks up a lot of US citizens as false positives. There's also a lot of third party surveillance, and collection of data of US citizens who are not the target but have communications with foreign persons who are.

And bear in mind that scooping up meta-data isn't even considered communications interception under US law, so they can happily record the details of every call made without warrant.

One other interpretation is the White House never ordered it, but there are loads of intelligence agencies who potentially could.

It may be a strictly true statement but it is utterly misleading. US citizens do quite routinely have their communications intercepted.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Yorkcity said:

Not looking good for Vauxhall workers in the UK in the long term .I am sure the French will be looking to secure their own plants.
    Whether Brexit will have an impact either way on there location is hard to say at the moment.

A country putting their own interests first? Whatever next......I wish our government would do the same.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

That is a thought provoking post.Does SLAB have many voices asking to change this stance ?
    YES. The MP for Edinburgh South. The very talented Ian Murray
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Just make sure the Canadian does the Rockies in daylight - the Rocky Mountaineer is probably your better option
    Hadn't looked at that - it's on the list. Thanks!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Trump and Obama in politicians tell lies shocker ....
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Obama may not be "lying" but his nose is getting longer.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Hasn't Trump lied e.g. the most Electoral College votes since Ronald Reagan stuff?
    That was true for several metrics.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Yes, but those voices have left or are sidelined - Chisolm, Pia, Lazarowicz & inevitably McLeish have all made noises. Their main problem is that even the the SLab rump has said different things at different times: Dugdale has said in the past that she wouldn't block a 2nd referendum but is now implacably opposed, while her deputy Rowley has previously suggested that they should have an open mind on the subject but has now turned inscrutable. It's also all interlinked with their mess of an approach to Brexit.
  • Options
    glw said:

That's BS for starters. Anwar al-Awlaki, a US citizen, was definitely under surveillance.

What Obama has given is a very lawyerly answer, and I suspect it means that no US-resident US citizen was ever specifically named in an application for a warrant at the FISA court.

Non-resident US citizens and US citizens through the various loop holes that are used are surveilled. One loop hole is that there only has to be a 51% chance of a target being foreign to allow blanket surveillance, that picks up a lot of US citizens as false positives. There's also a lot of third party surveillance, and collection of data of US citizens who are not the target but have communications with foreign persons who are.

And bear in mind that scooping up meta-data isn't even considered communications interception under US law, so they can happily record the details of every call made without warrant.

One other interpretation is the White House never ordered it, but there are loads of intelligence agencies who potentially could.

It may be a strictly true statement but it is utterly misleading. US citizens do quite routinely have their communications intercepted.

Trump can provide the evidence. As US president he has the right and duty to do it.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Toon Army on top at the moment!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Has he really? Thought he was a Union man forever and a day.
  • Options
    glw said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

If Obama is not lying Trump is.

• Options
    glw said:

Reporter James Rosen and his parents for example. AG Holder called Rosen a co-conspirator.
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/davidgross_man/status/838022813550329858

Is he arguing that 30 minutes after thinking of something you aren't allowed to have moved on to another distinct thought topic?

Has he never watched Family Guy?
  • Options

glw said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

- or both.
  • Options
    There are three or four posters who worship Trump with a fervour unseen since the break up of the Beatles. There's history with young girls and pop bands but I'd love to know what's going on here. TimB? Moniker? GLW?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I no longer see any point in being green on Fillon. Either he withdraws (and he is under enormous pressure to do so), or he staggers on wounded and without support from the key players. Neither route gets him into the Élysée Palace.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2017

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

What makes you think that?
  • Options

What Obama is saying in effect that he personally didn't do it, but he can't wave away responsibility for the departments of state, their direction and policies. Surely the buck stops at his desk.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Do you agree with him ? I supported Scottish Independence in 2014 and said so on here many times .Was dismayed that the full might of Labour at the time including Gordon Brown was so against.
  • Options

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

But he's also a VERY fervent Remainer. A man conflicted I'd guess
  • Options
    Roger said:

There are three or four posters who worship Trump with a fervour unseen since the break up of the Beatles. There's history with young girls and pop bands but I'd love to know what's going on here. TimB? Moniker? GLW?

I don't support Trump, and I said at the time of the election that I'd vote for Hilary.

But I'm not one of those "Trump is a fascist" idiots either.

• Options
    glw said:

What Obama is saying in effect that he personally didn't do it, but he can't wave away responsibility for the departments of state, their direction and policies. Surely the buck stops at his desk.
    glw said:

Trump accused him personally of doing it. One of them is lying.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Reporter James Rosen and his parents for example. AG Holder called Rosen a co-conspirator.

When it comes to intelligence matters US Presidents and their appointees routinely lie. It's par for the course, and they aren't even ashamed about it.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Roger said:

Tim_B is a Republican I think, so it shouldn't be surprising that a Republican would support Donald Trump. Most polls show Trump getting very high approvals from Republicans.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Yorkcity said:

Not looking good for Vauxhall workers in the UK in the long term .I am sure the French will be looking to secure their own plants.
    Whether Brexit will have an impact either way on there location is hard to say at the moment.

A country putting their own interests first? Whatever next......I wish our government would do the same.
    In what way ? The French part own peugeot which is taking over Vauxhall. Do you think Britain should start buying into car firms again.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

glw said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

- or both.
    Or neither!

Assume that twitters space requirements give us the natural truncation of "someone in the Obama administration" to "Obama" - which is pretty much a universal abbreviation anyway.

Assume that Obama's careful wording and skating around has been lawyer-checked bone deep.

You could easily end up concluding that neither of them are lying and both of them are as right as they need to be to defend their position.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Roger said:

I can’t think of a single PBer who worships Trump, there are many who do not fall into the category of Trump haters, but that’s something quite different.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

A scant 400 votes different in 2015 and there would have been two Tory MPs in Scotland. :)
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Do you agree with him ? I supported Scottish Independence in 2014 and said so on here many times .Was dismayed that the full might of Labour at the time including Gordon Brown was so against.

Labour was and is a British political party. Its constitution makes that very clear. If you support independence, then holding an official position inside it is going to be tricky, to say the least. That said, I was very anti-independence in 2014. Now, I can see how it makes sense. Faced with Corbyn guaranteeing permanent Tory rule in Westminster and Brexit, I can see how breaking away looks attractive. Scotland and England are moving further apart. That's not sustainable.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Actually it sounds like they both are to a degree, Trump may well be wrong about Obama being directly responsible, and Obama is washing his hands of anything his underlings do.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

But he's also a VERY fervent Remainer. A man conflicted I'd guess
    Good luck to him then. Hope he works out to his own satisfaction which is the least bad option.
  • Options

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

What makes you think that?
    Lol, just a phase I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    glw said:

Actually it sounds like they both are to a degree, Trump may well be wrong about Obama being directly responsible, and Obama is washing his hands of anything his underlings do.

As President, Trump has access to everything. He can't be "wrong". He will know one way or the other.

Obama may well be implying that Trump was under surveillance. But that can only have happened legally with approval from a judge, whose decision would be based on evidence of possible collusion with a foreign power.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    Yorkcity said:

nunu said:

Yorkcity said:

In what way ? The French part own peugeot which is taking over Vauxhall. Do you think Britain should start buying into car firms again.
    Or giving them Nissan-style guarantees?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

2014 Labour may have been in prime position to replace the SNP in an independent Scotland but not anymore.

Any independent nation needs a party of the left and a party of the right that power oscillates between. When the left runs out of money then the right has to come in to take the tough choices needed. 2014 Scotland may have seen power switch between Labour on the left and the SNP filling a vacuum by moving right. Not anymore. An independent Scotland now would see power move between the SNP on the left and the Scottish Conservatives on the right.

SLAB are dead. No flowers.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Labour was and is a British political party. Its constitution makes that very clear. If you support independence, then holding an official position inside it is going to be tricky, to say the least. That said, I was very anti-independence in 2014. Now, I can see how it makes sense. Faced with Corbyn guaranteeing permanent Tory rule in Westminster and Brexit, I can see how breaking away looks attractive. Scotland and England are moving further apart. That's not sustainable.

I remember your anti independence at the time , we discussed it many times.I thought many Labour supporters (not you ) were against for partisan reasons because they thought they needed the Scottish seats to form a government.I always thought once Scotland got its independence politics there would revert to what they believed rather than the constitution constant debate.
  • Options

Roger said:

I can’t think of a single PBer who worships Trump, there are many who do not fall into the category of Trump haters, but that’s something quite different.
    Whoever is not against him is a Devout Worshipper.

I would have voted for him on balance just to keep the Supreme Court safe, not for any other strong reason. He was the better of two poor candidates in my opinion.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    So, what is the betting that SBRR will be extended on Wednesday?

Got to be pretty high I reckon...
  • Options

glw said:

As President, Trump has access to everything. He can't be "wrong". He will know one way or the other.

Obama may well be implying that Trump was under surveillance. But that can only have happened legally with approval from a judge, whose decision would be based on evidence of possible collusion with a foreign power.

That's just flat out not true. Meta-data is an obvious example which doesn't require a warrant.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Labour get round expenses by getting sponsored by Unions, who are paid by tax payers. That's worse that using private money.
  • Options

glw said:

You really want to read up about the FISA court, it hardly ever rejects a warrant application, and the US intelligence community has become expert at writing warrants to get what it wants. The shitty stuff the NSA has been doing the last decade or so is compliant with the law, and approved by the court. The idea that the judiciary is a significant bar to the intelligence community doing what it wants is laughable.

Besides that does it not bother you just a little bit that perhaps the FBI was conducting surveillance on one of the two Presidential candidates mere weeks before the election? Do you think the White House was in the dark, with no heads up from the FBI?

Imagine finding out that MI5 were spying on Miliband's inner circle weeks before the general election, do you really think Cameron saying "noting to do with me personally" would be enough?
  • Options

Alistair said:

2014 Labour may have been in prime position to replace the SNP in an independent Scotland but not anymore.

Any independent nation needs a party of the left and a party of the right that power oscillates between. When the left runs out of money then the right has to come in to take the tough choices needed. 2014 Scotland may have seen power switch between Labour on the left and the SNP filling a vacuum by moving right. Not anymore. An independent Scotland now would see power move between the SNP on the left and the Scottish Conservatives on the right.

SLAB are dead. No flowers.
    I disagree with PR not FPTP it will be more multifaceted than that.
  • Options

Roger said:

Tim_B is a Republican I think, so it shouldn't be surprising that a Republican would support Donald Trump. Most polls show Trump getting very high approvals from Republicans.
    I consider myself a moderate Republican - I am pro-choice for example. I voted for Trump. I did so because after 8 years of a rigid big government left wing ideologue we needed something different that wasn't Hillary. On the good side he isn't a politician, says what he thinks and does what he said he'd do on the campaign.

He picks dumb fights he shouldn't that he can't win, can't let anything go without response, and has trodden on his own message far too many times. Couple that with a totally cocked up implementation of the immigration executive order and frequent mis-steps and that's what we have.

While still in office, Obama was asked about Carrier's relocation to Mexico with the loss of 1400 jobs. His reply was the he didn't have a magic wand. Trump makes some phone calls and the deal is done. Ditto with Ford and a couple of others. Was there more to it than Trump's calls? Very probably, but Trump made it happen - at least partially.

Yes, I want to see the country succeed and I'd like to see Trump do so too.

Hardly worshipping Trump with a fervour unseen since the break up of the Beatles.

Wasn't that the group Paul was in before Wings?
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

You really want to read up about the FISA court, it hardly ever rejects a warrant application, and the US intelligence community has become expert at writing warrants to get what it wants. The shitty stuff the NSA has been doing the last decade or so is compliant with the law, and approved by the court. The idea that the judiciary is a significant bar to the intelligence community doing what it wants is laughable.

Besides that does it not bother you just a little bit that perhaps the FBI was conducting surveillance on one of the two Presidential candidates mere weeks before the election? Do you think the White House was in the dark, with no heads up from the FBI?

Imagine finding out that MI5 were spying on Miliband's inner circle weeks before the general election, do you really think Cameron saying "noting to do with me personally" would be enough?

Yes, it does bother me. If it happened clearly the reasons why should be made public. Trump can make that happen.

The FBI went very publiccon Hillary before the election. Why did it not do the same for Trump?

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Roger said:

you can't worship a politician. It's like loving hemorrhoids! But Trump is the enema that politics needs. I almost worship Mrs May. She has amazed me. Not put a foot wrong. The speech in Scotland was a delight.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

But as you have been reminding us , Corbyn is on his way out anyway.He is ,therefore, not going to be in a position to 'guarantee permanent Tory rule in Westminster'.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

But as you have been reminding us , Corbyn is on his way out anyway.He is ,therefore, not going to be in a position to 'guarantee permanent Tory rule in Westminster'.
    Article 2 in the case 'Labour haven't a hope of winning the next election' - The Labour Party....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Labour won't win an election under any leader until 2025 at the earliest.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Another fine mess from Cameron and Osborne for Theresa to clean up...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    I don't know if this has been posted (being playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild), but this shows the insane fragmentation of Dutch politics:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/838098605609205761
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Another fine mess from Cameron and Osborne for Theresa to clean up...

Quite.

I don't think any results will be overturned, but does yet more to overshadow the electoral legacy the posh boys are fond off...
  • Options

Roger said:

Are you serious! Perhaps you haven't been on that much. There are some who talk about nothing else for perhaps 20 hours a day. It isn't chat about a politician it is akin to the Branch Davidians. This is a cult and I haven't ever seen anything like it before. Fortunately we've missed Hale Bopp
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Dixie said:

Roger said:

you can't worship a politician. It's like loving hemorrhoids! But Trump is the enema that politics needs. I almost worship Mrs May. She has amazed me. Not put a foot wrong. The speech in Scotland was a delight.
    Aren't you concerned about his protectionism? The world - not just America - will become a lot poorer if everyone starts raising trade barriers.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

Yorkcity said:

Alistair said:

Labour won't win an election under any leader until 2025 at the earliest.

That represents a modification of your previous comment. However, given that Labour's current polling range appears to be 25% - 30% I believe that it is entirely feasible that under a new leader Labour could poll circa 35% in 2020 . That could well be enough to ensure a Hung Parliament.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't know if this has been posted (being playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild), but this shows the insane fragmentation of Dutch politics:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/838098605609205761

Good grief, a chart where the y axis begins at 0%? That'll never catch on here....
  • Options

Yes, it does bother me. If it happened clearly the reasons why should be made public. Trump can make that happen.

The FBI went very publiccon Hillary before the election. Why did it not do the same for Trump?

That particular investigation originally started with a public complaint that Clinton wasn't complying with the Federal Records Act, and then an email leak fanned the flames. So knowledge of the ensuing investigations was in the public domain, and the FBI didn't have much choice but to keep Congress in the loop when they found tens of thousands more relevant emails.

What Trump is saying is that Obama — probably the FBI in reality — was secretlty tapping calls amongst his circle at more or less the same time as the Weiner emails were discovered. Could the FBI have announced that? Well maybe, but you obviously can't announce you are secretly tapping calls during an investigation.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Are you serious! Perhaps you haven't been on that much. There are some who talk about nothing else for perhaps 20 hours a day. It isn't chat about a politician it is akin to the Branch Davidians. This is a cult and I haven't ever seen anything like it before. Fortunately we've missed Hale Bopp
    Other posters seem monomaniacal about inhabitants of a certain Northern town. And Brexiteers.

Basically Roge, those in Riviere glass houses should stop spraying stone chippings around....
This discussion has been closed.