Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » N Ireland’s election: the road to nowhere?

124»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

murali_s said:

It looks like Trump could be back-peddling on his promise to remove the US from the all-important Paris Agreement. No surprises that white supremacist and fascist c*nt, Steve Bannon is leading the call to withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Let's see how this pans out but there may yet be hope...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/us/politics/climate-change-trump.html?_r=0

Interesting that Tillerson is on the other side.
    Of course he is. New regulations make it more expensive for new market entrants increasing Exxon's economic moat
    I don't think that's fair. Exxon does not benefit from a move to renewables in the energy generation mix, or an increase in the proportion of electric cars. It is a clear loser from the energy mix going renewable.

I'd also point out that Rex is looking after the US now, not ExxonMobil.
    If it makes life harder for the Cairns and Hurricanes of the world that's good for Exxon.

it's like the big banks wanting ever more expensive regulations to choke the challenger banks
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    OllyT said:

Mr. Max, the optics of massive warehouses getting lower rates and high street shops seeing hikes is quite ugly.

But with the Opposition led by Corbyn, May could personally behead a thousand guide dogs, throw a sackful of orphans into the Thames, and send in the tanks to obliterate Luton, and she'd still be miles ahead.

It seems the rates are being changed to reflect the property value alone, not its current usage. Which completely ignores the social value that a particular enterprise may be contributing. A high-street shop is more valuable to the community that some warehouse on the outskirts.

I guess high streets will end up filled with charity shops.

I think you are correct but off topic does the charity shop phenomenon exist elsewhere.? My town (pop. c 65,000) has well over 30 but wherever I travel in the world I don't see any. It may of course not be looking in the right places but perhaps some of our foreign-domiciled posters could enlighten me. My theory is that, in Europe at least, people don't buy as much stuff as the Brits and therefore aren't giving it away after a year or two. Shopping seems to be the national sport in the UK to an extent that I don't notice elsewhere except America.
    Charity as a commercial shopping enterprise is unusual internationally - I don't think other countries offer charity shops rates relief. Arguably it's an odd way for the Government to support charities.
This discussion has been closed.