Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » N Ireland’s election: the road to nowhere?

Comments

• RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    edited March 2017
    I'm reticent to do two ignorant posts in one morning but I keep looking at the green worms on the map of NI and I can't figure out what they are?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Max, had a conversation on Twitter, entirely civil, with a doctor/professor at a university who said he always asked people what pronouns they prefer.

It just seemed rather odd to me. But then, I'm a shaven-headed and stubbly Yorkshireman.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,135
    Roger said:

I'm reticent to do two ignorant posts in one morning but I keep looking at the green worms on the map of NI and I can't figure out what they are?

The traffic information on Google maps. Apparently the roads were clear.
    F1: the Verstappen, Hamilton and Bottas specials have all been taken down. The five or more (I think) for Bottas wins fell from 6 (when I mentioned it) to around 4. Given the mood music so far, that may prove a good bet.

However, if he does get that many then he's near certain to be top three, so the 26 each way for the title should come off as well. His odds for winning outright (now 4.5) are shorter than the odds (in the above bet) to finish third or second.

But, we don't really know for sure. Red Bull do sound a bit lacking. Ferrari surprising on the upside.

A full ramble is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/thoughts-on-first-pre-season-test.html
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

Why is everyone so worried about this £50 billion figure? Nobody ever pays fines in Europe. Just look at the French and their highly illegal ban on our beef, for which they have never paid a penny (and the cost of that comes to around £30 billion for us, incidentally).

The irony of that one is especially damning given France had over twice as many cases of BSE as Britain did - and still has it!

Britain had nearly 200,000 cases of BSE. France had less than 1,000.
    No. France had over 300,000 cases. But because until 1996 it called it 'vache tremble' rather than 'vache folle', and there was no testing until 2000, the overwhelming majority went unrecorded. See here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15210083 (although annoyingly the article itself isn't available online). These findings were disputed by the French agricultural industry for some obscure reason, possibly because one of the scientists behind them (Jean-Louis Thillier) publicly accused them of de facto murder, but were accepted by the judge leading the French inquiry into BSE.

Moreover both figures are probably gross underestimates - in Britain there are guesses that maybe 2 million cattle had it, in France maybe 4 million. But because farmers and abbatoirs spent a long time trying to hide the full extent of it it's difficult to know for sure how far it went.
    Interesting, I did not know that. Have these findings been corroborated?
    I love this story. It's such an abuse of language:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39156107

Headline:
    "London loses out in business rates revamp"

Second paragraph:
    "Under the changes, London councils will see their incomes rise as business rates there jump, while northern councils will lose out as rates fall."

So, a council loses out if its rates rises *and* if its rates fall. Everyone's a loser, baby.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

The worms are the rail routes that JohnO took to get home to Surrey after two PB events in London. You have to admire his ingenuity.
  • DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Thanks to everyone for keeping us up to date with the N. Ireland election. Complicated stuff, but you've explained it all so well.

And get well soon Mike S.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,135

I love this story. It's such an abuse of language:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39156107

Headline:
    "London loses out in business rates revamp"

Second paragraph:
    "Under the changes, London councils will see their incomes rise as business rates there jump, while northern councils will lose out as rates fall."

So, a council loses out if its rates rises *and* if its rates fall. Everyone's a loser, baby.

If all the shops close business rates income will fall to zero. This folly by the government needs to be axed or completely reworked to favour the independent.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Downing Street is “deeply worried” about the outcome of a police investigation into claims of expenses fraud during the 2015 general election.

Senior figures fear that the results of up to half a dozen constituency votes could be declared void — causing hurried by-elections — if prosecutors decide to make an example of the party. Criminal charges against key individuals are also possible.

At one stage 24 investigations were taking place into seats where the Tories were suspected of spending more on their campaign than the legal limit. It is believed that this has been reduced to fewer than a dozen investigations in which the police believe the evidence warrants further examination.

Yesterday a police source said that files were expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service within weeks.

Key figures, including Nick Timothy, Theresa May’s chief of staff, have been dragged into the controversy even though they have not been accused of wrongdoing. Mr Timothy worked on the campaign in South Thanet, where the party stood against Nigel Farage

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/election-fraud-inquiry-rocks-no-10-w8r5cdmn2

Given the strange and unpredictable nature of politics right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the by-elections resulted in bigger Conservative leads.
    It depends which seats are involved, just imagine if some of the seats are Con/Lib Dem seats.
    Do you have any idea which are the six or so seats under investigation?
    I think it'll be be from the seats in this list

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/busted-29-tories-how-broke-7467603
    Is it only Tory seats or are they still probing other parties too?
    Mr. Max, the optics of massive warehouses getting lower rates and high street shops seeing hikes is quite ugly.

But with the Opposition led by Corbyn, May could personally behead a thousand guide dogs, throw a sackful of orphans into the Thames, and send in the tanks to obliterate Luton, and she'd still be miles ahead.
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

Why is everyone so worried about this £50 billion figure? Nobody ever pays fines in Europe. Just look at the French and their highly illegal ban on our beef, for which they have never paid a penny (and the cost of that comes to around £30 billion for us, incidentally).

The irony of that one is especially damning given France had over twice as many cases of BSE as Britain did - and still has it!

Britain had nearly 200,000 cases of BSE. France had less than 1,000.
    No. France had over 300,000 cases. But because until 1996 it called it 'vache tremble' rather than 'vache folle', and there was no testing until 2000, the overwhelming majority went unrecorded. See here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15210083 (although annoyingly the article itself isn't available online). These findings were disputed by the French agricultural industry for some obscure reason, possibly because one of the scientists behind them (Jean-Louis Thillier) publicly accused them of de facto murder, but were accepted by the judge leading the French inquiry into BSE.

Moreover both figures are probably gross underestimates - in Britain there are guesses that maybe 2 million cattle had it, in France maybe 4 million. But because farmers and abbatoirs spent a long time trying to hide the full extent of it it's difficult to know for sure how far it went.
    Interesting, I did not know that. Have these findings been corroborated?
    Depends on what you mean by corroborated. The French government does now accept them.
    malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

Should Foster have resigned over the heating scandal?

Yes , if only for stupidity
    agreed. We all make mistakes, but she was told, it happened, she ignored, she screwed up, she was humiliated. and then she still stood!
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Dixie, not only that, Foster, shamelessly tried to hide behind her ovaries and accused those who pointed out she was stupid and incompetent of being sexist. Not an edifying spectacle.

Edited extra bit: F1: after the second test, assuming the markets are up, I'll offer some spread betting suggestions. These won't be tips as such, as I won't be backing them myself. Want to try and get a feel for things before/if I decide to have a go.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    Roger said:

Republican parade routes.
    JackW said:

Roger said:

The worms are the rail routes that JohnO took to get home to Surrey after two PB events in London. You have to admire his ingenuity.
    Of course! I can't imagine why I didn't realize.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I hadn't thought about it until this moment but unless I've got it wrong all the leaders of the four parts of the UK and all leaders of the opposition are female except Corbyn in England.

Bravo!

Not in Wales - Carwyn Jones is first minister
    Thanks. I foolishly thought Carwyn was female!
    foolishly, I thought he was a leader!
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited March 2017

Mr. Max, the optics of massive warehouses getting lower rates and high street shops seeing hikes is quite ugly.

But with the Opposition led by Corbyn, May could personally behead a thousand guide dogs, throw a sackful of orphans into the Thames, and send in the tanks to obliterate Luton, and she'd still be miles ahead.

It seems the rates are being changed to reflect the property value alone, not its current usage. Which completely ignores the social value that a particular enterprise may be contributing. A high-street shop is more valuable to the community that some warehouse on the outskirts.

I guess high streets will end up filled with charity shops.

• daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    scotslass said:

Since I spent part of my childhood in the North and have actually voted in an Northern Ireland election I suspect I kow a little more about this than most of your Tory/unionist contributers.

This election is a virtual deadheat between unionism and nationalism both in first preferences where the DUP was about 1000 ahead of SF and in seats in the Assembly where the designated unionists will be at most 2 up on the Nationalists.

This represents a major shift in the psychology of the North and the underlying reason is not the arrogance and incompetence of the DUP but the impact of BREXIT.

The school mam of a Prime Minister is presiding over the end of the United Kingdom and for many of the contributers to this site it is a great deal later than you think. And no number of patronising May lectures to the troublesome Celts will put these particular genies back in the bottle.

The NI election is effectively a tie between Nationalists and Unionists, both in %vote shares and seats:
    Nationalists 40 (SF 27, SDLP 12, PBP 1)
    Unionists 40 (DUP 28, UUP 10, TUV 1, Ind 1)
    Non-Sectarian 10 (Alliance 8, Green 2)

The Unionists just about have a casting vote at present, but it is difficult to see how any Nationalist can work with Foster as first minister.

NI is at a tipping point, and a hard border across historic Ulster (it is actually 9 counties, not 6) is somewhat more impracticable than one across the Irish Sea, or for that matter the Cheviots. The referendum result on 23/6/16 has signalled that the UK is on its last legs as a united entity.

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Downing Street is “deeply worried” about the outcome of a police investigation into claims of expenses fraud during the 2015 general election.

Senior figures fear that the results of up to half a dozen constituency votes could be declared void — causing hurried by-elections — if prosecutors decide to make an example of the party. Criminal charges against key individuals are also possible.

At one stage 24 investigations were taking place into seats where the Tories were suspected of spending more on their campaign than the legal limit. It is believed that this has been reduced to fewer than a dozen investigations in which the police believe the evidence warrants further examination.

Yesterday a police source said that files were expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service within weeks.

Key figures, including Nick Timothy, Theresa May’s chief of staff, have been dragged into the controversy even though they have not been accused of wrongdoing. Mr Timothy worked on the campaign in South Thanet, where the party stood against Nigel Farage

Given the strange and unpredictable nature of politics right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the by-elections resulted in bigger Conservative leads.
    It depends which seats are involved, just imagine if some of the seats are Con/Lib Dem seats.
    Senior Tories believe that. I don't know if that is based on proper analysis, but it is current thinking.

The biggest concern for Tories is if Jezza goes and is replaced by a Blarite. Second up, Lib Dem fight back, which they think might be imaginary.

They're loving SNP's Nazi positioning as it driving non-Nats to the Tories. As long as Ruthy sticks around.

They think UKIP are f*cked, unless Farage comes back; and even then they are a spent force - job done. The Greens are as weak as a raw plant cocktail.
    Dixie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I hadn't thought about it until this moment but unless I've got it wrong all the leaders of the four parts of the UK and all leaders of the opposition are female except Corbyn in England.

Bravo!

Well, compared to the likes of Jabba the Jane Hutt, Alun Davies and Leighton Andrews...

A key problem coming up for Labour is that they have literally nobody of talent to take over when Jones quits, and although he's younger than he looks his time at the top means that can't be far away now. When Huw Irranca-Davies is touted as the next big thing, and Leighton Andrews is viewed as a viable option to return after Alun Davies showed just how big a scumbag he is, things are going very badly.
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

I sent you this yesterday

"Malc If you're around I'm curious what your attitude is now towards independence. You voted Brexit but Nicola's whole strategy is based around rejoining Europe possibly going as far as using the Euro"

Is it a case of the lesser of two evils?

Roger , Apologies I was not around yesterday. I voted Brexit as it was best option to get independence referendum. My preference would be to be part of EU , though not fixated on it.
    I believe we will have a referendum and hopefully get the correct result this time. England has been getting more and more xenophobic as shown on here and I believe we would be far better out of it now looking after our own affairs and part of the EU.
    I agree. In fact i'm envious. Hopefully they will extend rights of citizenship to those of us with a Scottish mother!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910
    Dixie said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Senior Tories believe that. I don't know if that is based on proper analysis, but it is current thinking.

The biggest concern for Tories is if Jezza goes and is replaced by a Blarite. Second up, Lib Dem fight back, which they think might be imaginary.

They're loving SNP's Nazi positioning as it driving non-Nats to the Tories. As long as Ruthy sticks around.

They think UKIP are f*cked, unless Farage comes back; and even then they are a spent force - job done. The Greens are as weak as a raw plant cocktail.
    Ha Ha Ha , Deluded for sure
    Mr. Roger, you are Donald Trump. Fact!

Mr. Hopkins, does sound a shade short-sighted. Rates shouldn't be set in stone, but more than just the value of the property itself should be considered, otherwise we'll see even more business move online, and a decline in jobs.
    Has there ever been a poll to discover % of English who want independence from the moaning, lazy northern provinces of Great Britain? We need it.

Mr. Dixie, not only that, Foster, shamelessly tried to hide behind her ovaries and accused those who pointed out she was stupid and incompetent of being sexist. Not an edifying spectacle.

She surely deserves to get the sack if only for having to make all right-thinking people support Sinn Fein. I've never been put in the position of agreeing with the political wing of even a former terrorist organisation before, and while it may be an encouraging sign of normality emerging it still feels very uncomfortable.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited March 2017
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

"Malc If you're around I'm curious what your attitude is now towards independence. You voted Brexit but Nicola's whole strategy is based around rejoining Europe possibly going as far as using the Euro"

Roger , Apologies I was not around yesterday. I voted Brexit as it was best option to get independence referendum. My preference would be to be part of EU , though not fixated on it.
    I believe we will have a referendum and hopefully get the correct result this time. England has been getting more and more xenophobic as shown on here and I believe we would be far better out of it now looking after our own affairs and part of the EU.
    I agree. In fact i'm envious. Hopefully they will extend rights of citizenship to those of us with a Scottish mother!
    And allow Scots in the rest of UK a vote if it happens
    Dixie said:

Has there ever been a poll to discover % of English who want independence from the moaning, lazy northern provinces of Great Britain? We need it.

LOL Tory alert
    edited March 2017

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

If they want a vote they should live in the country. How stupid would it be for people living in USA , Australia etc to decide what Scotland does. You think we should be allowed to vote in any country's election if we want to G, come on be sensible.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Yesterday a police source said that files were expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service within weeks

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Im hearing the london seats in that list have been excluded.
  • malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

If they want a vote they should live in the country. How stupid would it be for people living in USA , Australia etc to decide what Scotland does. You think we should be allowed to vote in any country's election if we want to G, come on be sensible.
    This is a matter affecting all the UK and therefore all Scots in the UK should have a vote, but I accept it is unlikely to happen.
    I see those troughers in the House of Lords are suggesting the UK welch on their debts. I remember teh whining and howling of the yoons forecasting doom and international pariahdom if Scotland should ever deem to not pay what was not its debt. Yet here we are with the masters stating it and stoney silence, suddenly the loonies have forgotten how to type.
    Luckily Scotland will be out and not part of the pariah state.

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

This is a matter affecting all the UK and therefore all Scots in the UK should have a vote, but I accept it is unlikely to happen.
    They don't live in Scotland , so why should they decide what happens there. Would be as stupid as me deciding matters in England.
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

I can also foresee such a scenario causing massive headaches. For example, suppose two Scots marry in Elgin, and then move to London to work and have three children there. The children will likely have Scottish names, Scottish identity, even Scottish accents. But should they have a vote? Are they legally Scottish despite never living there? Suppose we then extended that to Scottish migrants in Canada or Australia? Where does it end?

Much simpler and easier to say those resident in the country have a vote, and if you want a vote, move to the country. That does mean some English will get a vote and some people who are Scottish will not. However, c'est la vie. No system is perfect.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

I see those troughers in the House of Lords are suggesting the UK welch on their debts. I remember teh whining and howling of the yoons forecasting doom and international pariahdom if Scotland should ever deem to not pay what was not its debt. Yet here we are with the masters stating it and stoney silence, suddenly the loonies have forgotten how to type.
    Luckily Scotland will be out and not part of the pariah state.

Seems it is a legal opinion but in reality the UK needs to offer a fair settlement for a mutually fair trade deal and avoid lawyers like the plague. I am confident that post A50 the narrative will move away from fighting the referendum and concentrating on that which will benefit everyone in Europe, including Scotland.

Lawyers are the last resort of a failure by both sides and I do not believe that will happen. I accept that you may not agree as you want Independence at any price but in the end there is an opportunity, with compromise, for a settlement that suits most aspirations of the majority in the UK
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

They don't live in Scotland , so why should they decide what happens there. Would be as stupid as me deciding matters in England.
    I think you need to tell that to the SNP members in the HOC
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    tally count

DUP 28 (-5)
    SF 27 (+4)
    SDLP 12 (+1)
    UUP 10 (-1)
    APNI 8 (=)
    Grn 2 (=)
    TUV 1 (=)
    PBP 1 (=)
    Ind 1 (+1)

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    timmo said:

Yesterday a police source said that files were expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service within weeks

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Im hearing the london seats in that list have been excluded.
    Still don't see how "hotel" costs are included in those numbers - the battle bus folks had to pay their own accommodation costs....

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

Spot on Big G. Liberal elite always think they are above the rules.
    malcolmg said:

Dixie said:

LOL Tory alert
    Playing the man, not the ball, Malcolm. You see, the fact is the Scots had a SINDY and "Remain" won. Job done. We English have never had that luxury. Is there an opinion poll?
    ydoethur said:

Dixie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Bravo!

Well, compared to the likes of Jabba the Jane Hutt, Alun Davies and Leighton Andrews...

Oh dear. Not that politicians have a great name anyway.

A key problem coming up for Labour is that they have literally nobody of talent to take over when Jones quits, and although he's younger than he looks his time at the top means that can't be far away now. When Huw Irranca-Davies is touted as the next big thing, and Leighton Andrews is viewed as a viable option to return after Alun Davies showed just how big a scumbag he is, things are going very badly.
    And Welsh Labour is on a knife edge. The votes they get are super efficient. A mild dip will see them lose quite a few seats, at national level at least. I don't know the Council position. Perhaps you have some info.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

I can also foresee such a scenario causing massive headaches. For example, suppose two Scots marry in Elgin, and then move to London to work and have three children there. The children will likely have Scottish names, Scottish identity, even Scottish accents. But should they have a vote? Are they legally Scottish despite never living there? Suppose we then extended that to Scottish migrants in Canada or Australia? Where does it end?

Much simpler and easier to say those resident in the country have a vote, and if you want a vote, move to the country. That does mean some English will get a vote and some people who are Scottish will not. However, c'est la vie. No system is perfect.
    They can be Scottish but you need to be a resident to vote. To me that is sensible and how it works at present.
    Dixie said:

malcolmg said:

Dixie said:

LOL Tory alert
    Playing the man, not the ball, Malcolm. You see, the fact is the Scots had a SINDY and "Remain" won. Job done. We English have never had that luxury. Is there an opinion poll?
    Hav eyour independenc ereferendum , you are as entitled to as Scotland is. I never see any cry for it and Westminster would miss the cash.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

Think you will find that the SNP have never ever voted on English matters. They only vote on matters that will affect Scotland, unlike English MP's who decide everything that happens in Scotland.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845
    Dixie said:

Why would the rest of England want to be independent from Yorkshire?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

They can be Scottish but you need to be a resident to vote. To me that is sensible and how it works at present.
    Indeed; the people voting are then those most affected by the outcome, regardless of their ancestry.
    Dixie said:

ydoethur said:

Dixie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Bravo!

And Welsh Labour is on a knife edge. The votes they get are super efficient. A mild dip will see them lose quite a few seats, at national level at least. I don't know the Council position. Perhaps you have some info.
    Aren't the councils all about to be dramatically reorganised?
    ydoethur said:

She surely deserves to get the sack if only for having to make all right-thinking people support Sinn Fein. I've never been put in the position of agreeing with the political wing of even a former terrorist organisation before, and while it may be an encouraging sign of normality emerging it still feels very uncomfortable.
    indeed, indeed
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,556
    DavidL said:

I find NI politics excessively wearisome and I resent the fact that they are supposed to be treated with kid gloves and pots of cash because they have nutters in their midst who will resort to murder if they can't get their way. Its politics by Munchausen Syndrome where bad behaviour gets rewarded with attention and goodies.

The performance of the DUP under Arlene Fraser both prior to the election and during the campaign has been abysmal but the tribal nature of NI politics mean she has not been treated nearly as harshly as she or her party deserves. It is particularly disappointing to see the lack of progress on the part of the UUP.

How do we get from here to "normal" politics? I am not sure but I am not sure the rest of the UK should be bending over to make the Assembly work. It is time that the local politicians were held more to account.

This is the problem. The Assembly is designed for a system that does not work - hence the need to force parties into government together. Which ironically is fine when dealing with policing, arms decommissioning, early release and so on, but not so when dealing with green energy subsidy incentives.

It's time the Assembly was put back onto a more mature footing, where governments can rise and fall based on their support within the Assembly and where no-one has a guaranteed place. The only concession I'd make would be to keep a rule that ensures some cross-community presence.

Obviously, this cuts across the DUP/SF privileged position and so is probably undeliverable.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,232

Dixie said:

Here's your answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Novelty-T-Shirts/Yorkshire-Right-Everywhere-Else-Wrong-Mens-T-Shirt/B01FI3P7O2
    Good to see that the Alliance Party wasn't squeezed by the two-party fight but actually increased its support.

Dixie said:

Here's your answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Novelty-T-Shirts/Yorkshire-Right-Everywhere-Else-Wrong-Mens-T-Shirt/B01FI3P7O2
    Look on the bright side; they'd probably pay for and build their own wall

Edited extra bit: F1: after the second test, assuming the markets are up, I'll offer some spread betting suggestions. These won't be tips as such, as I won't be backing them myself. Want to try and get a feel for things before/if I decide to have a go.

absolutely. She is the female Ali G... Is it coz I is a girl?
    IanB2 said:

Dixie said:

ydoethur said:

Dixie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Bravo!

I think I read that was now on hold, but don't know. Others on here will know.

DavidL said:

I find NI politics excessively wearisome and I resent the fact that they are supposed to be treated with kid gloves and pots of cash because they have nutters in their midst who will resort to murder if they can't get their way. Its politics by Munchausen Syndrome where bad behaviour gets rewarded with attention and goodies.

The performance of the DUP under Arlene Fraser both prior to the election and during the campaign has been abysmal but the tribal nature of NI politics mean she has not been treated nearly as harshly as she or her party deserves. It is particularly disappointing to see the lack of progress on the part of the UUP.

How do we get from here to "normal" politics? I am not sure but I am not sure the rest of the UK should be bending over to make the Assembly work. It is time that the local politicians were held more to account.

This is the problem. The Assembly is designed for a system that does not work - hence the need to force parties into government together. Which ironically is fine when dealing with policing, arms decommissioning, early release and so on, but not so when dealing with green energy subsidy incentives.

It's time the Assembly was put back onto a more mature footing, where governments can rise and fall based on their support within the Assembly and where no-one has a guaranteed place. The only concession I'd make would be to keep a rule that ensures some cross-community presence.

Obviously, this cuts across the DUP/SF privileged position and so is probably undeliverable.
    A better answer would be to allow a normal coalition government to form and manage all the devolved business, except for the policing/community relations/ex-troubles matters which would be dealt with by a cross-community committee with rules similar to the current ones. Providing there was some sort of emergency override to discourage normal business (such as housing) being abused in favour of one side or the other, that would at least allow an administration to form.

To force a return to the same administration that just collapsed after a major scandal looks unfortunate, and makes me think that the UK will once again have to step in.
    edited March 2017
    If Scotland and NI go they're sure to take our place at the security council away. The Tory goernment have done more damage to this country in the last 18 months than every other goverment in at least the last 70 years.

This could have been made for England.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL6AVWLPJD0
    malcolmg said:

Dixie said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Ha Ha Ha , Deluded for sure
    Perhaps. Except the odd fact, like the rise of German style socialism in Scotland. A leader wanting independence even though the majority don't want it. Using national identity to criticise others, blaming country next door for their problems and debts. Full of smooth PR. You know the type.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    Dixie said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

So on the one hand you're punting the 'English want to get the rid of the whinging Jocks' line, on the other 'brave Ruthy is attracting sensible Scots who support the UK'?

I have a strong suspicion you may be an idiot.

You really need to tell your 'senior Tories' that they're going to have to decide a line on Tessy's precious Union..

'Nearly 30% Of Tory Party Activists Would Welcome Scottish Independence'

https://tinyurl.com/zt8eqwo

• FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    Y0kel said:

David your premise is as wrong as Scotlass' grossly ignorant over-simplification:

The unionist vote in this election didn't go anywhere as near tribal as normal which, added on to increase republican turnout has seen Unionists ship more seats than expected. The Unionists have long had a rebellious streak. If they don't like whats going on on their own side, they stick the boot in.

Scotslass hasn't a notion. Differential turnout and the desire on the part of many Unionists to kick the DUP up the arse this time has not changed the fundamentals in the space of 12 months from the last election.

Have no doubt, gun to the head choice, and we know all about putting guns to the head over here, there isn't a hope in hell of some kind of breakaway from the UK anytime soon.

I'm presuming the choice of which party electors think best represents them is different from their preferred constitutional settlement. Voters in Northern Ireland have the option of non sectarian parties like Alliance but overwhelmingly don't make that choice. They must WANT sectarian politics. Yup to now I understand a significant minority of nationalist voters prefer to remain in the UK, which means the cross community choice is for the UK by a wide margin. The question is whether Brexit changes anything. I'm guessing it will. Not that there will be an agreed formal incorporation by the Republic of Ireland. But as Ireland will be the North's representative with the EU instead of the UK those ties will be strengthened while ties with the UK are weakened.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

Think you will find that the SNP have never ever voted on English matters. They only vote on matters that will affect Scotland, unlike English MP's who decide everything that happens in Scotland.
    Like making English Sunday Trading laws the same as Scottish ones? Pull the other one.
    Roger said:

If Scotland and NI go they're sure to take our place at the security council away. The Tory goernment have done more damage to this country in the last 18 months than every other goverment in at least the last 70 years.

Who's going to take it away and how when we have a veto on such changes?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The dog that didn't bark - Tom Gordon in The Herald (and something I've been wondering about, why the HUGE fuss over Ag & Fish if the plan is to hand them straight back to Brussels - unless that's not the plan)....

The problem for Ms Sturgeon is that it’s very hard to argue we need a referendum because we’re being dragged out the EU, then offer anything short of an immediate return. Voters will wonder why Brexit makes a referendum imperative, yet reversing Brexit isn’t a priority. It would lay Ms Sturgeon open to the charge that she is using Brexit simply to engineer a referendum she wanted all along. Her opponents certainly wouldn’t stay silent about that.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15133487.Tom_Gordon__Sometimes_it___s_the_silence_that_is_the_most_telling/

It's amazing how a 9% deficit can concentrate the mind.....

Tom Gordon with an anti Independence / SNP piece? I'm shocked, shocked.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Good morning, everyone.

Should Foster have resigned over the heating scandal?

Possibly but up to that point she was actually fairly popular amongst her wider constituency. Robinson would have done a mea culpa and shuffled on, she just reacted like a stubborn ruddy faced farmer.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

A better answer would be to allow a normal coalition government to form and manage all the devolved business, except for the policing/community relations/ex-troubles matters which would be dealt with by a cross-community committee with rules similar to the current ones. Providing there was some sort of emergency override to discourage normal business (such as housing) being abused in favour of one side or the other, that would at least allow an administration to form.

To force a return to the same administration that just collapsed after a major scandal looks unfortunate, and makes me think that the UK will once again have to step in.
    I think the Alliance Party are proposing a super majority system so no proposal can be carried on purely sectarian votes but they can be carried by a majority in one sect and a minority in the other. It does away with the sectarian allegiance system and gives more flexibility.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    FF43 said:

Y0kel said:

David your premise is as wrong as Scotlass' grossly ignorant over-simplification:

The unionist vote in this election didn't go anywhere as near tribal as normal which, added on to increase republican turnout has seen Unionists ship more seats than expected. The Unionists have long had a rebellious streak. If they don't like whats going on on their own side, they stick the boot in.

Scotslass hasn't a notion. Differential turnout and the desire on the part of many Unionists to kick the DUP up the arse this time has not changed the fundamentals in the space of 12 months from the last election.

Have no doubt, gun to the head choice, and we know all about putting guns to the head over here, there isn't a hope in hell of some kind of breakaway from the UK anytime soon.

I'm presuming the choice of which party electors think best represents them is different from their preferred constitutional settlement. Voters in Northern Ireland have the option of non sectarian parties like Alliance but overwhelmingly don't make that choice. They must WANT sectarian politics. Yup to now I understand a significant minority of nationalist voters prefer to remain in the UK, which means the cross community choice is for the UK by a wide margin. The question is whether Brexit changes anything. I'm guessing it will. Not that there will be an agreed formal incorporation by the Republic of Ireland. But as Ireland will be the North's representative with the EU instead of the UK those ties will be strengthened while ties with the UK are weakened.
    Is it any different from habitual conservative or labour voters, the 28 or so percent either party can depend on for tribal loyalty no matter what?
    Y0kel said:

FF43 said:

Y0kel said:

Is it any different from habitual conservative or labour voters, the 28 or so percent either party can depend on for tribal loyalty no matter what?
    I don't think Labour can rely on 28%!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    DavidL said:

It would be nice. I get in a similar frame of mind, for all it's probably not helpful either, and with all respect to yokel, whose insights I've no doubt are better than any guess of mine, too often the answer to any outside critique From some in NI boils down to ''you just dont get it guys'.

Well I confess I don't. I know its better than the violence that used to happen, I know there's more happening below the headline as it were, and I sure dont have the capability to 'solve' these things by writing on an Internet forum, but it would good to know, are we anywhere close, say within a decade, of politics in the area not being as seemingly rigid (I said seemingly), of the arrangements not being so fragile a political spat means the system must collapse?
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606

Council reorganisation off the agenda. Carwyn will stand down at next election. Watch out for Dame Eluned Morgan. Can see her as a first minister.
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    edited March 2017
    ***** BETTING POST *****

Are we heading for a General Election in LESS than 9 weeks time?

Judging by the headline in today's Times "Election fraud inquiry rocks No 10", La May may be forced to make a virtue out of necessity by forcing her hand in rushing to the polls on 4 May to curtail the grim prospect of her party having to submit to a number of possible high profile by-election contests, brought about as a result of police investigations into allegations of expenses fraud by the Blue Team during the 2015 General Election. According to the newspaper, senior figures fear that the results of up to half a dozen constituency votes could be declared void.
    Were this to happen, she might very easily find the Tories' barely double digit majority is blown away in one fell swoop, causing massive unease within the Parliamentary party and hugely re-energising Labour, thereby ensuring that the Copeland horror story might very quickly be swept away and quickly forgotten about.

Thanks to the likes of Michael Crick, etc, this is a story which simply won't go away and odds of 4.0 or slightly more are available against a GE being held during the course of 2017 which looks like decent value to me on this basis alone, never mind about Brexit and other considerations.

I'm on for a nifty fifty, but be sure to DYOR.

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Even if not, having a proper handful of seats of theirs needing to be rerun due to corrupt practices surely is enough to hit their image generally. Granted, everyone seems to be playing at best loose with some of the rules, but having to rerun plenty of seats looks a lot more serious even if others did things in a similar if less egregious vein,
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2017

Roger said:

Who's going to take it away and how when we have a veto on such changes?
    This is a very good point. The Anglo-Welsh state would, in this case, be the direct successor of the UK just as Russia was to the Soviet Union.

The position of the UK on the Council may be regarded as an anachronism even now, but I'm aware of no mechanism by which it can be removed. Surely the Government could not be forced and would have to resign voluntarily? (And I'm not even sure if that is possible within the terms of the UN Charter: I think we need the advice of one more learned in these matters!)

More broadly, the breakup of the UK would bring compensations as well as drawbacks. Scotland and Northern Ireland are not just distinguished from England and Wales by the Brexit outcome; they both contain very large, permanent and noisy popular movements for secession, and they cost buckets of money to keep. Scottish secession in particular would mean the end of the Barnett formula and its replacement with something fair and logical, which would be an opportunity for underfunded regions, and especially for Wales which does badly from the current settlement.

None of this would stop the SNP blaming all of Scotland's problems on England for the next thousand years, but both the British Government and those of us still inhabiting the British state would, at last, be free to ignore it.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Roger said:

They are the M1 and M2 motorways. The M5 parallels the M2 and is more like a spur road for Whiteabbey and the Shore Road
    It appears that regardless of 'business as usua'l and the durability of the DUP, NI Unionism is heading one way.

https://twitter.com/St_Anderson38/status/837867338179436544
    edited March 2017

Dixie said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Malcolm.

So on the one hand you're punting the 'English want to get the rid of the whinging Jocks' line, on the other 'brave Ruthy is attracting sensible Scots who support the UK'?

I have a strong suspicion you may be an idiot.

You really need to tell your 'senior Tories' that they're going to have to decide a line on Tessy's precious Union..

'Nearly 30% Of Tory Party Activists Would Welcome Scottish Independence'

https://tinyurl.com/zt8eqwo

Well, all groups have subsets of opinion. Among englishmen personally the jocks have me over a barrel as I don't want to get rid of anybody so they can demand a great deal, but then you have those tired of the perceived animosity and of course those who think it would be good on principle.

***** BETTING POST *****

Are we heading for a General Election in LESS than 9 weeks time?

Judging by the headline in today's Times "Election fraud inquiry rocks No 10", La May may be forced to make a virtue out of necessity by forcing her hand in rushing to the polls on 4 May to curtail the grim prospect of her party having to submit to a number of possible high profile by-election contests, brought about as a result of police investigations into allegations of expenses fraud by the Blue Team during the 2015 General Election. According to the newspaper, senior figures fear that the results of up to half a dozen constituency votes could be declared void.
    Were this to happen, she might very easily find the Tories' barely double digit majority is blown away in one fell swoop, causing massive unease within the Parliamentary party and hugely re-energising Labour, thereby ensuring that the Copeland horror story might very quickly be swept away and quickly forgotten about.

Thanks to the likes of Michael Crick, etc, this is a story which simply won't go away and odds of 4.0 or slightly more are available against a GE being held during the course of 2017 which looks like decent value to me on this basis alone, never mind about Brexit and other considerations.

I'm on for a nifty fifty, but be sure to DYOR.

I like elections, but could really do without a GE right now.

Seems like forcing it due to a corruption issue would be a hindrance, but if memory serves the Canadian Tories won an election called because of a scandal. And there's corbyn. He's the sort I might have to actively vote against if he looked like winning, something I never said of brown and Miliband.
    edited March 2017

It appears that regardless of 'business as usua'l and the durability of the DUP, NI Unionism is heading one way.

An unhelpful parallel because prior to 1972 the Stormont Parliament was gerrymandered on a grand scale. The most egregious example was Londonderry - in the 1950s 60% of voters were Catholic but 60% of representatives were Protestant. So those figures are actually menaningless.

You should probably keep to the numbers since 1998 - and also compare them relative to the Nationalists to exclude non-sectarian parties. These show pretty consistent if narrow Unionisit majorities, with a sudden drop when their leader stands accused of vast corruption and incompetence.
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

Well, all groups have subsets of opinion. Among englishmen personally the jocks have me over a barrel as I don't want to get rid of anybody so they can demand a great deal, but then you have those tired of the perceived animosity and of course those who think it would be good on principle.

Sure, I'm just intrigued by individuals who appear to have an opinion that entirely contradicts another opinion held by them.
    But, of course, people are strange.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Even if not, having a proper handful of seats of theirs needing to be rerun due to corrupt practices surely is enough to hit their image generally. Granted, everyone seems to be playing at best loose with some of the rules, but having to rerun plenty of seats looks a lot more serious even if others did things in a similar if less egregious vein,
    I think the CPS would think very long and hard before voiding half a dozen elections. They would effectively be saying the last general election was corrupted and the government illegitimate. It would arguably call into question whether there would have been a referendum.

I have no knowledge of the cases, but i suspect a maximum fine / strong censure but short of voiding results is more likely (assuming of course there is built and evidence)
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

There is also nothing logically inconsistent in the belief that the continuation of the Union is desirable in principle, but may not be possible in practice.
    edited March 2017

Apples and oranges. Why exclude Parliament's results after 97?

Or was the earlier Parliament results a local Parliament and not Westminster?
    ydoethur said:

An unhelpful parallel because prior to 1972 the Stormont Parliament was gerrymandered on a grand scale. The most egregious example was Londonderry - in the 1950s 60% of voters were Catholic but 60% of representatives were Protestant. So those figures are actually menaningless.

You should probably keep to the numbers since 1998 - and also compare them relative to the Nationalists to exclude non-sectarian parties. These show pretty consistent if narrow Unionisit majorities, with a sudden drop when their leader stands accused of vast corruption and incompetence.
    Did the party that has a leader accused of vast corruption and incompetence have a sudden drop in support?

kle4 said:

Sure, I'm just intrigued by individuals who appear to have an opinion that entirely contradicts another opinion.
    But, of course, people are strange.
    In general I think people are less ideologically consistent and coherent than they think they are, and I include myself obviously, and odd things that can happen when two opposed opinions someone holds butt up against each other, without truly being hypocritical, just confused.

But of course sometimes the answer will be just idiocy, and leaping to use a good line without considering the implications on other views.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460
    Calling SeanT, Morris Dancer and any other fiction writiers out there - does this ring true for you?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/04/what-writers-really-do-when-they-write
    ydoethur said:

Ten months ago, the Unionists had a big lead over Nationalists (whose vote share had fallen to 36%). I doubt if there's been a sufficient demographic shift to end that lead in the intervening period. What there was was a good deal of public anger towards a party that proved itself corrupt, and brass-necked about it.
  • CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    The French National Front are holding their big annual march in Paris on 1 May, between the two rounds of the presidential election. Will there be a counter-demonstration? Events on the street could have an effect on the voting. The National Front are still hated by many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZB9hOQ0DQ
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

I think the CPS would think very long and hard before voiding half a dozen elections. They would effectively be saying the last general election was corrupted and the government illegitimate. It would arguably call into question whether there would have been a referendum.

I have no knowledge of the cases, but i suspect a maximum fine / strong censure but short of voiding results is more likely (assuming of course there is built and evidence)
    Perhaps, but if they are obviously avoiding voiding the results solely because of the implication on the last election, that's almost the same effect as doing it in the sense everyone will know corrupt practices won it, and you can get away with it so long acts widespread enough to be significant to the overall result.

Now if the offences are bad but not void the election bad, that would need to be very carefully explained, because any finding that says they are guilty but let the elections stand will be taken by a significant number as proof corruption works, as once the truth emerges it's too late"

kle4 said:

There is also nothing logically inconsistent in the belief that the continuation of the Union is desirable in principle, but may not be possible in practice.
    It's an unfortunate feature that people with different political outlooks find it increasingly hard to put up with each other. Scotland and London want left wing government. Non-Metropolitan England, and increasingly Wales, want right wing government.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Perhaps, but if they are obviously avoiding voiding the results solely because of the implication on the last election, that's almost the same effect as doing it in the sense everyone will know corrupt practices won it, and you can get away with it so long acts widespread enough to be significant to the overall result.

Now if the offences are bad but not void the election bad, that would need to be very carefully explained, because any finding that says they are guilty but let the elections stand will be taken by a significant number as proof corruption works, as once the truth emerges it's too late"
    I know. Very difficult. But from what I understand of Crick's case it appears to be, at worst, aggressive exploration of a grey area. Bad, but tough to make a natural justice case for overturning a result.

ydoethur said:

Did the party that has a leader accused of vast corruption and incompetence have a sudden drop in support?
    Yes. It lost 5 seats, on a like for like basis, as pro-Union voters gave transfers to other parties.
    Sean_F said:

From The Times

I agree with PfP. May has both positive (the Con leads) and negative reasons (ending the relevance of the expenses investigations) for wanting one, and with the Brexit Lords amendments and potential ping-pong, she might have a means of calling one that doesn't look wholly self-interested and which might be worked past the FTPA.

Glen O'Hara tweeted today that Labour's current trend would leave them on 17.5% by May 2020. While crude trends are often no more use than Peter Snow's 'just a bit of fun' by-election swings applied to the next GE, the trend on the LDs in the last parliament from early 2011 on *did* point to their 2015 outcome, and unless Labour can sort its Corbyn problem, it is possible to see continued infighting and irrelevance slowly pushing more and more away. All of which is to say that Lab MPs might take the view that it'd be better to support an election now (on current boundaries) and lose a few seats than risk losing a lot in three years' time.
  • Well, I seem to be up in my NIA bets and I still have a job. But I'm depressed about it all the same. When someone has to resign because he tries to genuinely do the right thing, it's quite a sad day.

Sean_F said:

From The Times

I agree with PfP. May has both positive (the Con leads) and negative reasons (ending the relevance of the expenses investigations) for wanting one, and with the Brexit Lords amendments and potential ping-pong, she might have a means of calling one that doesn't look wholly self-interested and which might be worked past the FTPA.

Glen O'Hara tweeted today that Labour's current trend would leave them on 17.5% by May 2020. While crude trends are often no more use than Peter Snow's 'just a bit of fun' by-election swings applied to the next GE, the trend on the LDs in the last parliament from early 2011 on *did* point to their 2015 outcome, and unless Labour can sort its Corbyn problem, it is possible to see continued infighting and irrelevance slowly pushing more and more away. All of which is to say that Lab MPs might take the view that it'd be better to support an election now (on current boundaries) and lose a few seats than risk losing a lot in three years' time.
    Hope springs eternal - like the lds it would be easy to think it will be bad but not a disaster, that something will come up, that potential disaster tomorrow is better than certain disaster today,
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Unionist parties no longer a majority at Stormont. The worst result Unionism has had in any Northern Ireland election. That's big stuff.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2017/03/04/nationalism-bites-back/

But Westminster has hung the North out to dry, of course. And the idea that the right wingbEnglish nationalism that Theresa May has so enthusiastically embraced has any intetest in what best serves the interests of Northern Ireland is laughable. It doesn't matter who runs the show in Stormont - as with the Scots their views will be ignored if they are not supportive of the Brexit the Tory right wants.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Hope springs eternal - like the lds it would be easy to think it will be bad but not a disaster, that something will come up, that potential disaster tomorrow is better than certain disaster today,
    If the issue were acting or not acting (as it is in relation to the leadership), I'd agree. But the dynamics would be different if a Dissolution Motion were already before parliament and Lab MPs had to decide how to react.
  • Charles said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

From The Times

Hmm .... you might be right, but even a serious fine and strong censure would seriously undermine the Tories and therefore her own position as P.M. and in such circumstances, plus the prospect of kicking Labour into touch, would prove very tempting in persuading her to go for an early if not immediate GE.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

It's an unfortunate feature that people with different political outlooks find it increasingly hard to put up with each other. Scotland and London want left wing government. Non-Metropolitan England, and increasingly Wales, want right wing government.

Define right wing.

• FishingFishing Posts: 4,738
    I can't see Northern Ireland leaving the UK anytime soon. I don't think the Republic would want almost a million violently discontented citizens, and I don't think the province would go independent as it would leave the sectarian problems unresolved. In addition, there are all the huge one-off decisions with independence, as Scotland would face. What currency would the newly independent Northern Ireland use? Or if it joined the Republic, would it really want to use the Euro? What about those British subsidies that keep the place afloat? Presumably the Republic would not want to, or even be able to, replace them, and Britain would not want to continue them. I imagine in that case there would be a large exodus of the middle class to England or the Republic.

But I'm speculating. As I say, I don't think it will happen, certainly not before we leave the EU.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

Well, I seem to be up in my NIA bets and I still have a job. But I'm depressed about it all the same. When someone has to resign because he tries to genuinely do the right thing, it's quite a sad day.

+65% profit to level stakes at advised prices.

Personally i made £36.21 from them on total stakes of £247.12 (Just hit "max" with Paddy for each one), so thanks for that :)
  • daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited March 2017
    ydoethur said:

The % votes/seats are as follows:
    Nationalist 41.6%/40 (SF/SDLP/PBP)
    Unionist 44.6%/40 (DUP/UUP/TUV/PUP/Con), including 1 IND seat
    Non-sectarian/others 14.0%/10 (Alliance/Green/others)

NI is now very close to a tipping point, like Scotland, and the Brexit vote hasn't helped with regard to maintaining the integrity of the UK.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006

It seems the rates are being changed to reflect the property value alone, not its current usage. Which completely ignores the social value that a particular enterprise may be contributing. A high-street shop is more valuable to the community that some warehouse on the outskirts.

I guess high streets will end up filled with charity shops.

I think you are correct but off topic does the charity shop phenomenon exist elsewhere.? My town (pop. c 65,000) has well over 30 but wherever I travel in the world I don't see any. It may of course not be looking in the right places but perhaps some of our foreign-domiciled posters could enlighten me. My theory is that, in Europe at least, people don't buy as much stuff as the Brits and therefore aren't giving it away after a year or two. Shopping seems to be the national sport in the UK to an extent that I don't notice elsewhere except America.
This discussion has been closed.