Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A grim set of local by-elections for Corbyn’s LAB losing a sea

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

#NIreland (33% counted)
    #DUP: 27% (-2)
    #SF: 27% (+3)
    #UUP: 14% (+1)
    #SDLP: 12%
    #A: 9% (+2)
    #TUV: 3% (-1)
    #Green: 3%
    #PbP: 1% (-1) #AE17

Apparently.

If it is tied between the DUP and SF that means neither will give an inch to the other and a UUP + SDLP + Alliance deal is not impossible with Mike Nesbitt as First Minister
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Fishing said:

Meanwhile, the fruit rots.

Eh? If the facts are as reported, fruit-picking is exactly the kind of low wage, low productivity industry kept alive by cheap immigrant labour that this country should no longer be in. It manages a dismal trifecta, using land, labour and capital inefficiently.
    what industries should we be in?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Strangford

DUP Democratic Unionist Party 39.9
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 20.0
    APNI Alliance Party 15.0
    SDLP SDLP 7.9
    IND Independent 4.2
    OTH OTHERS 13.0

DUP -3.1
    Alliance +4.3
    SLPD -0.5
    UUP +0.5
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Pulpstar said:

#NIreland (33% counted)

Apparently.

Essay question - was the swing away from the moderate voices of unionism and nationalism to their more extreme counterparts an inevitable outcome of the peace process?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Wow turnout higher in N.Ireland than General election. Pretty good.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Lol Four Tory -> Sinn Fein transfers in South Antrim.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Fishing said:

Eh? If the facts are as reported, fruit-picking is exactly the kind of low wage, low productivity industry kept alive by cheap immigrant labour that this country should no longer be in. It manages a dismal trifecta, using land, labour and capital inefficiently.
    So what do you think we should eat?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    This rally in Paris on Sunday, that Fillon seems to be pinning his hopes on, has the potential to be a real tinderbox.

Not only are his own loyal supporters likely to turn up, it is likely there will be a strong show from those against him and agitators from other Parties.

Will be like manna from heaven for Le Pen if it turns really ugly.

http://www.politico.eu/article/fillon-to-quit-presidential-race-if-sunday-rally-flops-aide/
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    wasd said:

Jonathan said:

It was not Corbyn to blame.

It was a mixture of Arthur Henderson, El Nino and those accountants at the Oscars.

But definitely, definitely NOT Corbyn

The continued imposition of food rationing by Cripps has suppressed the Labour vote.
    Well food rationing could be back if things get really bad.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/eu/shortage-of-farm-workers-in-the-uk-could-see-food-rot-in-the-ground-35496358.html

Good point. And worrying.
    I believe we used to have short term, bonded farm labour visas for this kind of thing - there's no particular reason they couldn't be resurrected.
    In fact we could really old school and bring back bonded labourers who work for free in return for a small parcel of land to grow their food on. Worked for King John.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    England starting their test match at a safe, if steady pace. It is a test match isn't it?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Declaration from either Upper Bann or Newry & Armagh coming up shortly.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Nice upgrade to First on BA flight back from Singapore tonight. Take that peasants.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    John_M said:

The second phase of Brexit is for England to be towed 500 miles out into the mid-Atlantic. Personally I think the government will have performed a miracle if immigration drops below 150k per year (that's with students being excluded). We're all far too fond of marrying out, if nothing else.

I don't necessarily want to reduce immigration at all. It's not about numbers, its about quality, and deciding for ourselves who to let in and critically, throw out. Even though I have a foreign wife, I don't even necessarily object to the minimum income threshold per se, except that it is ludicrously narrowly drawn, and discounts foreign income and savings, and income and savings earned by the applicant spouse (ie. it's stupid).

If we need fruit pickers, issue visa for it, if we need medical workers, issue visa for those. Tier visa now don't take long to issue, current turnaround time for a Tier 2/3/4 visa even from Manila averages 2 weeks with all completed in a month.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

Fishing said:

This is the most pointless argument. The government has already agreed that we will need seasonal workers in agriculture, post Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/04/british-farmers-will-have-access-migrant-workers-brexit-andrea/

The fruit will not rot.
    mine was the counter-argument. address yr concerns to M.Fishing
  • Options
    DavidL said:

England starting their test match at a safe, if steady pace. It is a test match isn't it?

Absolute fecking scandal Johnny Bairstow can't get into this team.

Sam Billings? You're having a laugh.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, you metropolitan liberal elitist.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Uber drivers to have to be able to speak English.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/03/high-court-rule-uber-challenge-new-language-rules-drivers/

I'm surprised this isn't a regulatory requirement anyway.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    DavidL said:

You spoke too soon....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Nice upgrade to First on BA flight back from Singapore tonight. Take that peasants.

What's the secret of getting upgrades? I've never had one.
  • Options

Only peasants fly with BA.

BA are the worst carrier out there.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

Fishing said:

This is the most pointless argument. The government has already agreed that we will need seasonal workers in agriculture, post Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/04/british-farmers-will-have-access-migrant-workers-brexit-andrea/

The fruit will not rot.
    And this will satisfy Brexit voters who thought they were keeping foreigners out?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Fly lots with one carrier, get their credit card, go premium economy.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    Leaving the EU will also mean we can use Ukrainian workers etc who will no doubt be happy to pick up any slack offered by non-returning EU workers.
  • Options

It is the national flag carrier and certainly better than many
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    And this will satisfy Brexit voters who thought they were keeping foreigners out?
    No they didn't, you must have missed that the campaign was "Take Back Control".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Fly a lot on busy routes with a gold card. If they overbook you get bumped up. No other way in my experience. I do not have the patter.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Virgin, Etihad, Emirates, QANTAS all make BA look like the inept numpties that they are.
  • Options

Solid, I'd say. Better than the Americans and most Europeans. Not as good as most of the main Asian carriers.

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Is it possible that better transfer discipline could see SF with most seats?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    I know you don't live here, so it is understandable you missed this.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Norm said:

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    Leaving the EU will also mean we can use Ukrainian workers etc who will no doubt be happy to pick up any slack offered by non-returning EU workers.
    Leaving the EU has nothing to do with whether we can use Ukrainian workers. We could offer visa free travel and work permits on demand tomorrow if we wanted.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Irwin (DUP) & Boylan (SF) elected in Newry Armagh

East Belfast
    DUP - 37.58%
    APNI - 31.39%
    UUP - 13.07%
    PUP - 6.59%
    Grn - 3.59%
    SF - 2.91%
    TUV - 2.27%
    CCLA - 1.10%
    Con - 0.68%
    SDLP - 0.62%
    Ind - 0.21%

Noami Longi (All) elected at first stage
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fly a lot on busy routes with a gold card. If they overbook you get bumped up. No other way in my experience. I do not have the patter.

Philippines Airlines hold a upgrade auction for most long haul flights. It's a blind auction, you tell them how much you are prepared to pay for an upgrade, if any spaces are available they fill spaces from the highest bid downwards.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Kind of on topic, can anyone access this link? If so, please feel free to read and criticise. If not, please let me know. I can't open it myself (though I do know what it should say).

http://totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-labour-moderates-should-consider-second-leadership-challenge

I think it's a good piece. Absolutely agree about McDonnell amendment which would guarantee fractious, messy leadership contests with far too many candidates... also agree that very likely Corbyn went backwards despite re election looking comfortable.

Where I differ:
    I think you're too quick to write off chances of the likes of Clive Lewis doing better in eelctoral terms than Corbyn. The messenger matters...

I also think youre too bullish on another left candidate winning amongst the membership. Corbyn I think has a personal brand - which may not transfer to another candidate. The more time passes, the more the membership changes its composition or their minds.

In a 2018 leadership contest... Moderates should be much better prepared to take on Corbyn/left candidate. In 2015 they were caught off guard and made the calamatous mistake of not opposing Tory welfare cuts. In 2018 we will be in tough brexit negotiations - a much stronger issue for them vs. Corbyn wing of party.
  • Options

Solid, I'd say. Better than the Americans and most Europeans. Not as good as most of the main Asian carriers.

I'm still pissed off they lost my luggage over a decade ago.

Took a week to sort it out, balked at reimbursing me for the clothes I had to buy in the mean time.

Oh and the time they billed be 5 times for the same flight.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

#NIreland (33% counted)

Apparently.

Essay question - was the swing away from the moderate voices of unionism and nationalism to their more extreme counterparts an inevitable outcome of the peace process?
    No. But the moderating of the more extreme political elements was (otherwise there wouldn't have been a peace process), and that's not unconnected.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

No I didnt miss it. I also didn't miss that Leave.EU wasn't the official campaign, I assume that slipped your memory
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    Yes, because they will get short term visas, will not settle, won't bring family, and won't have access to in-work benefits, etc. Next.
    They'll have much greater motivation to seduce the locals in order to obtain the right to stay. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Michelle O'Neil and Keith Buchanan (DUP) elected in Mid Ulster.

Sinners have taken 52.8% there, +6.1%
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    AndyJS said:

Dress very smartly, they won't want riff-raff wearing jeans, t-shirt and scruffy trainers mixing with their other first class travellers.

Only time I have had an upgrade was when my wife and I were travelling to New York and she decided to doll herself up for the flight. When we checked our luggage in, they looked us up and down and upgraded us to first class.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

No I didnt miss it. I also didn't miss that Leave.EU wasn't the official campaign, I assume that slipped your memory
    If we're talking about Vote Leave, then you missed this as well then, not living in the UK?

• Options
    Lagan Valley

DUP Democratic Unionist Party 41.3
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 25.2
    APNI Alliance Party 13.5
    SDLP SDLP 8.4
    SF Sinn Féin 4.0
    OTH OTHERS 7.6
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Virgin, Etihad, Emirates, QANTAS all make BA look like the inept numpties that they are.
    Virgin and Qantas highly debateable even if you did have 1 bad experience with BA. Not to mention African, Latin American and Russian carriers even if Middle Eastern and Far Eastern planes are probably the best
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Kind of on topic, can anyone access this link? If so, please feel free to read and criticise. If not, please let me know. I can't open it myself (though I do know what it should say).

http://totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-labour-moderates-should-consider-second-leadership-challenge

Ok,one criticism (whilst acknowledging my agreement with everyone else that this is an excellent article). The article acknowledges that a serious, moderate candidate needs to be put to the membership, and the flaky left wingers ignored. But now the genie is out of the bottle, and the gulf between the party membership and the PLP exposed, how does the new, sensible leader deal with the opposite crisis of legitimacy - rather than a leader without the support of the PLP, you now have a leader without the implied support of the main electorate? How does this circle get squared?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny Kennedy bet looks to be desperate trouble !

Dolores Kelly still live.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.
    Yes, because they will get short term visas, will not settle, won't bring family, and won't have access to in-work benefits, etc. Next.
    I live on the borders of Herefordshire. We've had seasonal workers coming here since Adam was a lad. Long before the EEC.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

Plus, if you want to rebut the claim that a campaign wants to take back control, a poster by that campaign with the words "take back control" visible on it is perhaps not your strongest point.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Ok,one criticism (whilst acknowledging my agreement with everyone else that this is an excellent article). The article acknowledges that a serious, moderate candidate needs to be put to the membership, and the flaky left wingers ignored. But now the genie is out of the bottle, and the gulf between the party membership and the PLP exposed, how does the new, sensible leader deal with the opposite crisis of legitimacy - rather than a leader without the support of the PLP, you now have a leader without the implied support of the main electorate? How does this circle get squared?
    By striking at the optimal time, as a general election approaches, it focuses minds.

The Tory members didn't rebel or complain when the Parliamentary party toppled IDS and didn't even have an election.

That said, as much as I criticise David Davis, he put the party first in 2003, do potential Labour contenders have that level of discipline.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

#NIreland (33% counted)

Apparently.

If it is tied between the DUP and SF that means neither will give an inch to the other and a UUP + SDLP + Alliance deal is not impossible with Mike Nesbitt as First Minister
    I don't think that's possible, is it? Doesn't the Stormont House agreement reserve the FM/DFM positions for the largest party in each of the two respective sections?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

If we're talking about Vote Leave, then you missed this as well then, not living in the UK?
    Remain really missed a trick not showing a huge 'global Brexit' arrow pointing from the rest of the world to the UK and listing scary population figures.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

Can't you just sit on the floor like a respectable person?
  • Options
    Having been decisively routed twice, the Corbyn-sceptics have decided that discretion is the better part of valour. In the leader’s inner circle, meanwhile, there is no desire to attempt a risky transfer of power.

“What’s the alternative?” one loyalist says. “Jeremy resigns and Tom Watson takes over?” The fear is that if Corbyn steps down, Watson would hold on to the post of acting leader for an indefinite period, using the powers of his office to purge the left and re-establish control of the party machinery.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/why-some-tory-backbenchers-secretly-wish-jeremy-corbyn-was-getting-better
  • Options

HYUFD said:

God not Virgin...now that is pleb air...
  • Options
    edited March 2017

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

Remain really missed a trick not showing a huge 'global Brexit' arrow pointing from the rest of the world to the UK and listing scary population figures.
    None of whom will have a right of settlement or residence unless we choose to issue one. At the moment anyone from anywhere in the EU, any scientist, any engineer, any craftsman, any labourer, any criminal, any vagrant, can move to the UK, settle, and claim rights and benefits. Post-BrExit, if we need short term workers, we issues short term visas, if we want people will particular skills to settle, we offer them settlement visa, if they commit crimes we put them on the plane back to where they came from. We take control. Parliament approved it by 494 votes to 122 ;)
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

By striking at the optimal time, as a general election approaches, it focuses minds.

The Tory members didn't rebel or complain when the Parliamentary party toppled IDS and didn't even have an election.

That said, as much as I criticise David Davis, he put the party first in 2003, do potential Labour contenders have that level of discipline.
    Yes, but those same Tory members were in the main pretty content to be swapping one useless but ideologically sound leader for someone sound but more competent. It's a different issue for the Labour faithful; they're swapping incompetent but sound for (possibly) competent but ideologically unpalatable. Memories of Tony Blair are still fresh for them, remember.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited March 2017
    Manchester Evening News on Salford By-Election.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/conservatives-win-kersal-salford-election-12687357

Switch to 3 weekly bin collections, apathy, The Media, & Brexit all to blame but not the dear leader.
  • Options
    Question re English for Uber drivers...how do they pass the driving test, now it has a practical and written component if they don't speak English?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Yes, but those same Tory members were in the main pretty content to be swapping one useless but ideologically sound leader for someone sound but more competent. It's a different issue for the Labour faithful; they're swapping incompetent but sound for (possibly) competent but ideologically unpalatable. Memories of Tony Blair are still fresh for them, remember.
    They might have to go one step at a time. McDonnell next (ideologically sound, competent, unelectable), then when they crashes and burns the have a problem, who is ideologically sound and electable, none of the existing "senior figures", too much baggage, will either have to row back a bit on the ideology and pick someone like Cooper, or more likely risk it all on one of the bright young things of the left, and hope like hell that they dont turn out to be an overpromoted disaster.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Question re English for Uber drivers...how do they pass the driving test, now it has a practical and written component if they don't speak English?

They passed ages ago and never bothered learning English.
  • Options
    Belfast North

DUP Democratic Unionist Party 32.1 (-2.9)
    SF Sinn Féin 29.4 (+2.9)
    SDLP SDLP 13.1 (+2.5)
    APNI Alliance Party 8.4 (+1.4)
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 5.8
    OTH OTHERS 11.2
  • Options
    East Londonderry

DUP Democratic Unionist Party 33.5 (-3.4)
    SF Sinn Féin 25.8 (+4)
    IND Independent 11.7
    SDLP SDLP 7.9 (-1,6)
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 6.7 (-1.6)
    OTH OTHERS 14.3
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    nunu said:

They passed ages ago and never bothered learning English.
    Hasn't the written part been in the place for 20 years now? If it is true that we have significant numbers of people who have lived here for more than 20 years and still don't speak English well enough to be able to communicate in a very limited setting, it is shows a wider problem than Uber taxi drivers.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    BudG said:

kle4 said:

Looking very good for Macron, right?

Macron will have a tougher fight on his hands against Juppe than against Fillon. So would not say it is looking good for him.

But, Fillon is a stubborn git who appears to care more about hanging in there to try and save his skin by getting the immunity that the Presidency would bring. He has the required nominations, he COULD threaten resign from the Party and go it alone as an Independent against Juppe. Unlikely, but is a possibility and of course that would be excellent for Macron.
    Fillon had his nominations rushed in fast: more than three times as many as any other candidate in the first batch. But is it known that his 738 so far cover 30 departments or overseas territories and number at least 500 when each locality's figure is capped at 50?

The "I regretted nominating Fillon" stories have started.

• Options

They come in with a DVLA-acceptable driving licence issued in a different country?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sinéad Ennis (SF) and Chris Hazzard (SF) elected on stage 1 in South Down

is being a blonde a requirement to be a female SF candidate?

SF Sinn Féin 38.6 (+7.6)
    SDLP SDLP 25.2 (-6.3)
    DUP Democratic Unionist Party 15.8
    APNI Alliance Party 9.2
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 8.4
    OTH OTHERS 2.8
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

#NIreland (33% counted)

Apparently.

I don't think that's possible, is it? Doesn't the Stormont House agreement reserve the FM/DFM positions for the largest party in each of the two respective sections?
    Maybe but given SF will not accept Arlene Foster and the DUP will not get rid of her it may be the only way out of the impasse and would keep Unionist and Nationalist power sharing and add in the Alliance too
  • Options

They come in with a DVLA-acceptable driving licence issued in a different country?
    I thought after only a few years you have to get tested in this country?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Get well soon Mr Smithson.
  • Options

After 12 months for some foreign countries but not all. Some foreign countries' licenses can be used to drive in the UK until age 70.
  • Options

It's a good piece (as one would expect!), but if I were a Labour moderate wondering whether to take the disinterested advice of the Chairman of Wakefield District Conservatives, I'd be worrying about three potential downsides:

- What happens if we try to dislodge Corbyn and fail again?
    - What would the effect on the party be if we win, but only by blocking a left-wing candidate from getting on to the ballot?
    - Can we get agreement on a single unifying candidate, or would we be in for yet another bruising and divisive contest?
    I did try to forestall that by my (genuinely-held) view that the country needs an effective opposition.

However, to answer your questions:

1. If Labour MPs can persuade a Starmer or Benn to stand, and Corbyn then wins again, then that really is game up for 2020 and perhaps for good. That said, I don't think they would lose, for the reasons I mention. The much bigger risks are either that they don't stand at all or that they wimp out, do a deal to nominate a Corbyn-successor, and then lose to him/her.

2. It will clear out all the nutters who have paralysed Labour for the last two years. Bar the drop in income, that'd be a win-win.

3. Who knows? But it'd be a measure of Labour's maturity as to whether they could or not (as an aside, this is another good reason for challenging Corbyn directly: the threshold for nominations is higher so it lessens the likelihood of 2+ challengers being nominated.
  • Options
    Looking OK

Philip McGuigan (SF) @ 8/15 North Antrim £63.47
    Jemma Dolan (SF) @ 15/8 Fermanagh and South Tyrone £22.85

Neutral/Looking ok value

Nichola Mallon (SDLP) @ evens Belfast North £21.58
    John Stewart (UUP) @ 2/1 East Antrim £11.00
    Dolores Kelly (SDLP) @ 11/2 Upper Bann £8.03

In trouble/Lost

Sandra Overend (UUP) @ evens £42.73
    William McCandless (UUP) @ 33/1 East Derry/Londonderry £1.69
    John Stewart (UUP) @ 2/1 East Antrim £11.00
    Alex Attwood (SDLP) @ 7/2 Belfast West £12.27

! Danny Kennedy (UUP) @ 3/10 Newry and Armagh £63.47 ! Oof
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

SeanT said:

Fishing said:

The fruit will not rot.

Well in fairness even some leavers on here, myself included, criticised that sort of thing. But it clearly resonated with people and I think it will be harder to accomodate those it did appeal to than some think.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

As a coda to this: if Cameron had, in 2005, admitted that when push came to shove he would always support membership of the EU, Davis would have won (and I say this as someone who supported DC). Our party has red lines, too.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

HYUFD said:

God not Virgin...now that is pleb air...
    ...and it has a Remoaner of an owner!
  • Options

After 12 months for some foreign countries but not all. Some foreign countries' licenses can be used to drive in the UK until age 70.
    That seems wrong (by that I don't mean you are wrong, I mean the law is wrong).
  • Options
    I apologise for some of my predictions. I really didn't see a turnout above a general election. Dolan does look strong in Fermanagh though.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Fishing said:

Eh? Fruit-picking is exactly the kind of low wage, low productivity industry kept alive by cheap immigrant labour that this country should no longer be in. It manages a dismal trifecta, using land, labour and capital inefficiently.
    You want to create a Singapore for 60 million then?
    Do I want to create a confident, successful, wealthy nation for 60 million?

Yes. Don't you?
  • Options

I don't know, but the requirement that the theory and practical test be taken in English or Welsh was only introduced in 2014. Until then you could get a voiceover in one of 19 foreign languages or use an interpreter.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

That was because IDS was replaced as leader by Michael Howard who was just as rightwing and ran the 2005 campaign almost entirely on a platform opposing immigration
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

Well in fairness even some leavers on here, myself included, criticised that sort of thing. But it clearly resonated with people and I think it will be harder to accomodate those it did appeal to than some think.

What really boiled my piss about that poster was the inference that it was sort nasty EU plot to widen the EC/EU.

It has been British policy since Thatcher to widen membership of the EC/EU.

Like the Single Market, it was testament to success of British influence within the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Cyan, my French is almost as ropey as Mr. Eagles' grasp of history, but are you saying: je ne regrette que Fillon?

Edited extra bit: speaking of which, my next book is Josephus' Jewish War. Rather looking forward to it. Four hundred pages and small print.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Get well soon Mr Smithson.

Did I miss something, is OGH poorly as well?

Sympathies. It's like a Casualty ward in here, today.
    Check out the last thread header, this is what Mike wrote

For the third Friday in a row I’m off to hospital this morning after being one of those who’ve added to this winter’s unprecedented demand on the NHS.

At the start of February after a heavy cold I woke one morning to discover both my ears had been bleeding and I’d lost 80-90% of my hearing. This was profoundly shocking, isolating and very worrying. I realised I needed the NHS at a time when the pressure on it was absolutely enormous.

I haven’t been disappointed. My GP got me an appointment within 24 hours to see an ENT specialist and I only had to wait four days for the first hospital visit. The treatment seems to be working.

I share this because those of us without health insurance totally rely on the NHS for situations like this which is why it is so politically important.
  • Options
    It's been a particularly dirty campaign against Danny Kennedy
  • Options
    UKIP transfers in East Antrim coming up..
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99

kle4 said:

What really boiled my piss about that poster was the inference that it was sort nasty EU plot to widen the EC/EU.

Like the Single Market, it was testament to success of British influence within the EU.
    But not a policy (EU enlargement) that the British people had ever supported in advance, and one they clearly opposed with hindsight.

The fact the British elite may have pushed it seems neither here nor there.

Indeed one of the many democratic boons of Brexit will be reduced ability for British elites to pursue policies isolated from proper control by Parliament.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

HYUFD said:

You clearly do not fly long-haul Economy class with Etihad. I refuse to do so. Even American carriers are better long-haul economy than them. Dreadful in every aspect - tiny leg room, terrible ground staff, aggressive luggage weight verification, poor meals, lack of cabin service and on and on. But for me, not being able to sit without my knees jammed into the seat in front is the absolute killer. I have a will not fly, will cancel contract rather than do so, notice with my sponsors who seek to put me on Etihad.
  • Options

It's been a particularly dirty campaign against Danny Kennedy

How much did Paddy let you have on him ? ^^;;
  • Options
    Alex Attwood (SDLP) has lost his seat in Belfast West
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Golly, surely that would be a big symbolic moment?

Has there been any analysis of the NI election through the Brexit lens? I'm guessing it must have had some effect.
  • Options
    West Tyrone

SF Sinn Féin 48.1
    DUP Democratic Unionist Party 20.4
    SDLP SDLP 14.2
    UUP Ulster Unionist Party 8.2
    APNI Alliance Party 2.8
    OTH OTHERS 6.2

Thomas Buchanan DUP
    Michaela Boyle SF
    CandidateBarry McElduff SF
    elected on first stage
  • Options

kle4 said:

That's a little disingenuous. We supported widening membership because we thought it would kill off deepening political integration. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work out that way.
  • Options
    How do people assess Baroin's chances of replacing Fillon? Still over 30 on Betfair for the presidency.
  • Options

Mr. Cyan, my French is almost as ropey as Mr. Eagles' grasp of history, but are you saying: je ne regrette que Fillon?

I'm not saying it. I'm on Le Pen with interests too in Hamon and Dupont-Aignan. But according to that story some of the locally elected representatives who nominated Fillon (well, at least one) are expressing regret about backing him. I don't know whether they are allowed to withdraw their nominations.
  • Options

How do people assess Baroin's chances of replacing Fillon? Still over 30 on Betfair for the presidency.

Close to zero ?
  • Options

Golly, surely that would be a big symbolic moment?

Has there been any analysis of the NI election through the Brexit lens? I'm guessing it must have had some effect.
    Most likely the DUP and SF end up tied, UUP and Alliance close for third and SDLP fifth. That still means deadlock between DUP and SF and of course the SDLP was very pro Remain so I don't think Brexit came much into it more people fed up with DUP and Arlene Foster
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Fishing said:

Eh? Fruit-picking is exactly the kind of low wage, low productivity industry kept alive by cheap immigrant labour that this country should no longer be in. It manages a dismal trifecta, using land, labour and capital inefficiently.
    You want to create a Singapore for 60 million then?
    Do I want to create a confident, successful, wealthy nation for 60 million?

Yes. Don't you?
    And, I'm with you!

Singapore is 94% more wealthy per person than the UK, better education, better healthcare, and taxis only half the level in the UK, I would copy there economic position in a jot!!!

• Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, if so, I may hedge a smidgen (48, but I've got scope to do that).
This discussion has been closed.