Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fillon stays in the race and the morning’s big betting move to

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited March 2017
    Essexit said:

Scott_P said:

If they'd won, why would they be calling names?

Yes, why did the "winners" need to come up with names for those who have not drunk the Brexit Kool-Aid?
    loony Leaver callous cretins
    Don't forget 'carrot crunchers'. I think that was another one anyway, it's hard to keep up.
    "Brexitards" managed to slip through the outrage filter of the very people who go crazy over "leftards"

Oh I'm turning into a snowflake!
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

This guy is fascinating, even-handed and bold. He's a citizen journalist who took up that offer to go see if Malmo or other places in Sweden really were "no-go", or unusually dangerous, as Trump claimed.

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/836934364772589569

At first he was skeptical. Now he's much more doubtful. As you can see.

If you've even been no further than Coconut Grove in Miami exactly the same thing applies. There's no direction you can walk that anyone would describe as safe. And it's a fashionable area.
    So the Swedes are meant to be happy that parts of their previously ultra-safe, ultra-liberal country are being turned into dangerous American suburbs (even without US gun laws), by the idiotic mass importation of immigrants.

Plus they get to be, literally, the rape capital of the world! Well done Sweden.

Trump was right.

Katie Hopkins (yes yes yes) went there as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269576/KATIE-HOPKINS-reports-Scandi-lib-paradise-Sweden.html

I don't think Sweden really is the rape capital of the world. It is merely the place where the sexual assault laws are the broadest ("sex by surprise", for example).
    Family member just back from Sweden. Lots of police watching, but doing nothing with lots of Immigrants hanging around at main thoroughfares. Girls have stopped going out alone. People are scared to to say anything, usual fear of racism. Liberal elite dominance allowing suppression of decent people.
    Here's Tim Pool again, his latest thoughts. And he was the one pouring scorn on the idea Sweden had "no-go" zones. Having been there, he's now admitting he was wrong.

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/836945458283102209
    I'll give it about 10 seconds before someone tries to denounce him as a nazi, or a white supremacist, or whatever the term of the day is. If you listen to the interview he gave before he went out to look around Sweden he was being told by leftwing journalists to not waste his money and give it to a charity because there was nothing to see. When journalists don't want other journalists to see what is going on you are in a dangerous place.
    The first SJW counter-narrative I've seen is that the men threatening him in this migrant area were "masked white Swedish fascists" trying to make things look bad for the Swedish Left, and for immigrants.

Really. That's their first meme. The deviously clever "Swedish Ku Klux Klan".
    SJW is alt-right lingo bingo fodder. I'd expect better from you!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Allah bless Fillon and the French

Today has been epic on a betting front.

Though it was like pining a tail on a donkey at times.

Did someone mention a donkey??;)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed. I seem to remember much hand wringing from Meeks.

Incidentally, any sign of MarkSenior since the by-elections?

If you can find a single quote of mine that refers to her living in Britain for 30 years, I'd be much obliged.

The whataboutery from the loony Leaver callous cretins has been something to behold. The delight with which they want to deport a woman who has a husband of 27 years, children and a grandchild in Britain is educational if not edifying.
    Just shut up now. Everything you say is embarrassingly stupid.
    Who has been "delighted" about deporting her? The most I've seen is an expression of regret that it got this far but understanding that UKBA probably had no choice.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited March 2017
    I haven’t seen this anywhere, but 'British Airways Heathrow flight cancelled over mouse on plane’ according to the BBC. The flight was going to San Francisco, so I presume it was a Muslim mouse.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Allah bless Fillon and the French

Today has been epic on a betting front.

Though it was like pining a tail on a donkey at times.

Did someone mention a donkey?? ;)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

If you can find a single quote of mine that refers to her living in Britain for 30 years, I'd be much obliged.

The whataboutery from the loony Leaver callous cretins has been something to behold. The delight with which they want to deport a woman who has a husband of 27 years, children and a grandchild in Britain is educational if not edifying.
    Anyone remember that post a month or two ago about not calling each other names ?
    Name callers generally have lost the argument.

Mrs Clelland 'who has no family in Singapore' is staying with one of her two sisters. As she's younger & fitter than her husband, why doesn't he join her there?
    Depending on his condition, it might be medically inadvisable to fly him to the other side of the world, perhaps?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

The first SJW counter-narrative I've seen is that the men threatening him in this migrant area were "masked white Swedish fascists" trying to make things look bad for the Swedish Left, and for immigrants.

Playing the man and not the ball is a sign of not being able to play the ball ;)
  • Options

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

Playing the man and not the ball is a sign of not being able to play the ball ;)
    IIWIPIYWNBATUM

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

I haven’t seen this anywhere, but 'British Airways Heathrow flight cancelled over mouse on plane’ according to the BBC. The flight was going to San Francisco, so I presume it was a Muslim mouse.

He was hoping for a trip to one of Trump's extreme vets.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    What was the clue? Can't see it on the twitter images, but that may be me not knowing how to use the bloody thing!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

• Options

Very good :D
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

What was the clue? Can't see it on the twitter images, but that may be me not knowing how to use the bloody thing!

12 Ruling nationalist‘s way to encourage progress (8)
    14 Carmen is close to perfect for discriminating fellow (6)

See my 2:48 for parsing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

This guy is fascinating, even-handed and bold. He's a citizen journalist who took up that offer to go see if Malmo or other places in Sweden really were "no-go", or unusually dangerous, as Trump claimed.

If you've even been no further than Coconut Grove in Miami exactly the same thing applies. There's no direction you can walk that anyone would describe as safe. And it's a fashionable area.
    So the Swedes are meant to be happy that parts of their previously ultra-safe, ultra-liberal country are being turned into dangerous American suburbs (even without US gun laws), by the idiotic mass importation of immigrants.

Plus they get to be, literally, the rape capital of the world! Well done Sweden.

Trump was right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269576/KATIE-HOPKINS-reports-Scandi-lib-paradise-Sweden.html

I don't think Sweden really is the rape capital of the world. It is merely the place where the sexual assault laws are the broadest ("sex by surprise", for example).
    Family member just back from Sweden. Lots of police watching, but doing nothing with lots of Immigrants hanging around at main thoroughfares. Girls have stopped going out alone. People are scared to to say anything, usual fear of racism. Liberal elite dominance allowing suppression of decent people.
    Here's Tim Pool again, his latest thoughts. And he was the one pouring scorn on the idea Sweden had "no-go" zones. Having been there, he's now admitting he was wrong.

I'll give itat is going on you are in a dangerous place.

"SJW" is a precise term for a particular kind of obsessive lefty nutter on social media. I will continue to use it. When YOU earn £200,000 a year solely from employing the English language, and I do not, I will then take lectures from you on vocabulary.
    Is that a promise?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Anyone remember that post a month or two ago about not calling each other names ?

Mrs Clelland 'who has no family in Singapore' is staying with one of her two sisters. As she's younger & fitter than her husband, why doesn't he join her there?
    Depending on his condition, it might be medically inadvisable to fly him to the other side of the world, perhaps?
    According to the papers (at least the sympathetic ones) he’s not very well at all. If she doesn’t get back he’ll need carers, always assuming there are any, which does suggest that airlines might be disinclined to accept him as a passenger without special arrangements.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

I'll give it about 10 seconds before someone tries to denounce him as a nazi, or a white supremacist, or whatever the term of the day is. If you listen to the interview he gave before he went out to look around Sweden he was being told by leftwing journalists to not waste his money and give it to a charity because there was nothing to see. When journalists don't want other journalists to see what is going on you are in a dangerous place.

In fairness, that Rinkeby place does appear to have become the centre of a media circus in recent days:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/25/rinkeby-stockholm-riot-lower-crime-rate-than-uk

Who knows, the local scalawags might be roaming the streets looking to intimidate anyone carrying an expensive camera, just for sh*ts and giggles.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited March 2017

Big issue with rodents on planes - they have a tendency to chew through rather vital cables that make the wheels go up and down, that sort of thing. The plane will have to be taken out of service to go for extreme fumigating. (I only know this because it was a reason my flight was once cancelled!)

EDIT: Not wanting to take away from your rather good gag by having reality intrude!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oh, I'm an idiot and didn't see 14 across.

It really is unbelievable how delicate some people are.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Who has been "delighted" about deporting her? The most I've seen is an expression of regret that it got this far but understanding that UKBA probably had no choice.
    The Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 restricts the right of appeal for refusal of entry clearance in cases where the subject intends to enter the country as a dependent, a visitor or a student. This leaves the only grounds for appeal open to human rights and race discrimination reasons. Appeals launched within the UK can be for asylum cases only.

No discretion at all in this case.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fish causes problems for nuts ogre (8)
  • Options

Big issue with rodents on planes - they have a tendency to chew through rather vital cables that make the wheels go up and down, that sort of thing. The plane will have to be taken out of service to go for extreme fumigating. (I only know this because it was a reason my flight was once cancelled!)

EDIT: Not wanting to take away from your rather good gag by having reality intrude!
    No worries, Mr M. Mice are damn nuisance with cables. We came home from holiday once and couldn’t understand where all the bluebottles had come from. Then we tried to turn on the radio and it didn’t work. We investigated and found a somewhat dead mouse, with it’s teeth in the power cable.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

The Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 restricts the right of appeal for refusal of entry clearance in cases where the subject intends to enter the country as a dependent, a visitor or a student. This leaves the only grounds for appeal open to human rights and race discrimination reasons. Appeals launched within the UK can be for asylum cases only.

It’s the refusal of the right to stay here in the first place that’s the problem, isn’t it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Too much star gazing.

Try reading across the row...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

In fairness, that Rinkeby place does appear to have become the centre of a media circus in recent days:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/25/rinkeby-stockholm-riot-lower-crime-rate-than-uk

Who knows, the local scalawags might be roaming the streets looking to intimidate anyone carrying an expensive camera, just for sh*ts and giggles.
    Maybe, but what's interesting is that Tim Pool was a liberal skeptic who has changed his mind. And now sees problems.

This is also a pattern repeated across Europe, of course.
    Isn't this how Trump operates? He says something a bit over the top/outlandish to get the media spinning in overdrive to say how he is wrong, only to have the gist of the story confirmed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Too much star gazing.

I thought it was going to be a clever cryptic clue to do with racism. How I overestimated the intelligence of the Nats on Twitter. :D
  • Options

Mortimer said:

According to the papers (at least the sympathetic ones) he’s not very well at all. If she doesn’t get back he’ll need carers, always assuming there are any, which does suggest that airlines might be disinclined to accept him as a passenger without special arrangements.
    And presumably, Singapore will welcome a very sick man with a limited connection to the country (apart from a spouse who has lived there for many years and has citizenship) with open arms?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    For a moment there, Poe's law applied.
  • Options
    That explains his love of democracy (will of the people etc) :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2017

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

It’s the refusal of the right to stay here in the first place that’s the problem, isn’t it?
    The ECO has a detailed rule book which give discretion in some areas, but none whatsoever in many areas, such as those covered explicitly by law or treaty. If you want to challenge any of the later you need to go to judicial review, after you have appealed through the first and second tier Immigration Appeals Tribunals (who adjudicate on matters of law and wont challenge findings of fact by the ECO) and having spent about 25k. The prohibition on granting a visa to someone with a record of being in the country unlawfully is I believe absolute, also apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, and then not Remaining, or seeking a waiver from the Home Office is likely to be fatal as well. In this case she will never have got to appeal in the first place because of the IANA(2006) as mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    F1: suggestions the "How long since Maldonado crashed" website might be relaunched for Stroll.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

Maybe, but what's interesting is that Tim Pool was a liberal skeptic who has changed his mind. And now sees problems.

Isn't this how Trump operates? He says something a bit over the top/outlandish to get the media spinning in overdrive to say how he is wrong, only to have the gist of the story confirmed.
    Opinions differ as to whether Trump is a strategic genius or just has not clearly understood the situation because he's just caught a soundbite off Fox News. The effect is the same.
  • Options

Opinions differ as to whether Trump is a strategic genius or just has not clearly understood the situation because he's just caught a soundbite off Fox News. The effect is the same.

Its pretty doubtful that he is. However that is in some ways to his advantage because his opponents continue to underestimate him, or more precisely, fail to notice the collection of dangerously astute and effective people standing in the shadows behind him.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Commenting on the Singaporean lady’s case.
    Hard cases make bad law, don’t they. Problem with this and indeed some benefit cases is that the ‘victim’ makes decisions based on their needs at the time, assuming that what appears to them, in their circumstances to be logical and sensible, will also be lawful. I don’t know, but I would not be surprised if someone on here knows, whether if she had returned before 2006 all would have been well.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    For those interested in post0Brexit direction of EU:

http://www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/junckers-real-scenario-is-multi-speed-europe/

Euractiv isn't perfect in English but is usually a good source on EU issues.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

For those interested in post0Brexit direction of EU:

http://www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/junckers-real-scenario-is-multi-speed-europe/

Euractiv isn't perfect in English but is usually a good source on EU issues.

Or the document (5.8MB):

https://europa.eu/european-union/sites/europaeu/files/whitepaper_en.pdf
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

You can tell the difference from the US KKK by the hats.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Hard cases make bad law, don’t they. Problem with this and indeed some benefit cases is that the ‘victim’ makes decisions based on their needs at the time, assuming that what appears to them, in their circumstances to be logical and sensible, will also be lawful. I don’t know, but I would not be surprised if someone on here knows, whether if she had returned before 2006 all would have been well.

I am not a lawyer and can only see what you can, but I suspect if she had applied to the Home Office for a waiver before going to Singapore the first time as the paperwork that comes with your ILR tells you to, there would not have been a problem. Since she didn't the next thing to do would have been to contact the embassy in singapore and apply for a new visa, which under the circumstances would probably have been granted. She could even have applied for British Citizenship remotely from Singapore, it would not have affected her ability to stay in Singapore because she was born there and gets right of residency. Travelling to the UK either without a visa, or overstaying a tourist visa is probably want wrecked her case.

As an aside its worth mentioning that increasing amounts of UK law treat you as a separated couple because of the fact of you being separate, rather than because of any decision you have made, because lots of people don't apply for legal separation, they just stop living with each other.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

The Huff Post do the first bit, but the media lap it up and they're wrong!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Sweden does have thriving neo-Nazi scene though. The old British skinhead band Skrewdriver wrote a song in their honour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhdXoUeTk4
  • Options

I am not a lawyer and can only see what you can, but I suspect if she had applied to the Home Office for a waiver before going to Singapore the first time as the paperwork that comes with your ILR tells you to, there would not have been a problem. Since she didn't the next thing to do would have been to contact the embassy in singapore and apply for a new visa, which under the circumstances would probably have been granted. She could even have applied for British Citizenship remotely from Singapore, it would not have affected her ability to stay in Singapore because she was born there and gets right of residency. Travelling to the UK either without a visa, or overstaying a tourist visa is probably want wrecked her case.

As an aside its worth mentioning that increasing amounts of UK law treat you as a separated couple because of the fact of you being separate, rather than because of any decision you have made, because lots of people don't apply for legal separation, they just stop living with each other.
    Seems reasonable, legally, although I hope no-one reads this as being unsympathetic. I do some travelling to Thailand, staying there fore varying lengths of time, as does a member of my family. We are very, very careful to keep abreast of, and comply with, the regulations, since as you say, ‘crossing’ the authorities is an extremely risky activity! Significantly overstaying a tourist visa is a major no-no!
  • Options
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Winner.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Too much star gazing.

I thought it was going to be a clever cryptic clue to do with racism. How I overestimated the intelligence of the Nats on Twitter. :D
    To be fair this is a case where I think it probably was done deliberately!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Its pretty doubtful that he is. However that is in some ways to his advantage because his opponents continue to underestimate him, or more precisely, fail to notice the collection of dangerously astute and effective people standing in the shadows behind him.
    I suspect Bannon is very smart. Very humble working class background, yet ended up at Harvard Biz School.

Also been a successful soldier, banker, and moviemaker, then political journalist and now presidential advisor.

Quite an incredible life story, really, whatever you think of his politics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bannon

The article about his son in law and the data operation behind the Trump campaign suggests that he is sharp as a razor as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2016/11/22/exclusive-interview-how-jared-kushner-won-trump-the-white-house/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    SeanT said:

I suspect Bannon is very smart. Very humble working class background, yet ended up at Harvard Biz School.

Also been a successful soldier, banker, and moviemaker, then political journalist and now presidential advisor.

Agreed. It's a mistake to think that Trump is merely a conduit for such people though. Trump's views have been remarkably consistent, whereas his political confidants have not. He's clearly the one pulling the strings, and will hire and fire the people he thinks he needs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

If you've even been no further thanove in Miami exactly the same thing applies. There's no direction you can walk that anyone would describe as safe. And it's a fashionable area.
    So the Swedes are meant to be happy that parts of their p.

Trump was right.

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool

"SJW" is a precise term for a particular kind of obsessive lefty nutter on social media. I will continue to use it. When YOU earn £200,000 a year solely from employing the English language, and I do not, I will then take lectures from you on vocabulary.
    SJW and alt-right and snowflake, for me they are terms that could be useful in identifying precise types of persons, but what ends up happening is people end up applying them too liberally, applying it to near anyone they don't like, to the point it becomes nothing more than partisan labelling. It's a shame, because I think plenty of lefty liberals would like to mock SJW types, sensible right wingers to mock alt-righters, and both sides to mock their more precious and sensitive fellow travellers of the snowflake variety.

Back on issues of the day, I see Owen Jones has gotten around to his latest Corbyn piece, which seems to boil down to the general thesis so many have long though the case - even if Corbyn is a decent man with the right policies and even if many of the parties problems predate him, he is not fixing them and is in fact making them worse under his leadership.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Agreed. It's a mistake to think that Trump is merely a conduit for such people though. Trump's views have been remarkably consistent, whereas his political confidants have not. He's clearly the one pulling the strings, and will hire and fire the people he thinks he needs.
    I completely agree. What I mean is his strategy could well be to be the lightning rod that draws attention from the people he has doing the real work behind the scenes. All the time people are ranting about Trump they are not asking what Pence, Kushner and Bannon are up to.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I completely agree. What I mean is his strategy could well be to be the lightning rod that draws attention from the people he has doing the real work behind the scenes. All the time people are ranting about Trump they are not asking what Pence, Kushner and Bannon are up to.
    I've had lefties on my Facebook timeline ranting about "President Bannon"...!
  • Options

SeanT said:

Quite. Trump is far, far from stupid. Shallow, perhaps.
  • Options
    Richard Burgon showing why I backed him at 100/1 as next Labour leader.

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/836920195964878849
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

SeanT said:

The article about his son in law and the data operation behind the Trump campaign suggests that he is sharp as a razor as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2016/11/22/exclusive-interview-how-jared-kushner-won-trump-the-white-house/
    Hmm. Lean, flexible, data-driven operation pulls off surprise victory despite glaring disadvantages vs. Establishment campaign. I normally eschew the comparisons with Trump, but we've seen that on this side of the Atlantic too.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    It's very alarming watching the Lords debate. They seem terrifyingly naive about how negotiations work - you don't give anything away without a concession.

Lord Hailsham raised Idi Amin's expulsion of the Asians! Sensationalist, irrelevant and utterly irresponsible.
  • Options

In Mrs Clennell's case she was in Singapore from 2005 - 2013 while husband and family were in County Durham. She exhausted her immigration appeals in 2005.
  • Options
    Mr. Blue, it does sound, from your report, demented.

Akin to Blair throwing away the rebate. Or the PLP backing Corbyn to broaden the debate.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

"The thing that they have in the US is starting to come to Europe now, that whole gangster thing, with the music and everything.”

Lol. I don't think Americans should be talking about violent crime in any other country until they sort out the problem of African American crime. 13% of population commit 53% of murders.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

If you've even been no further thanove in Miami exactly the same thing applies. There's no direction you can walk that anyone would describe as safe. And it's a fashionable area.

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool

SJW and alt-right and snowflake, for me they are terms that could be useful in identifying precise types of persons, but what ends up happening is people end up applying them too liberally, applying it to near anyone they don't like, to the point it becomes nothing more than partisan labelling. It's a shame, because I think plenty of lefty liberals would like to mock SJW types, sensible right wingers to mock alt-righters, and both sides to mock their more precious and sensitive fellow travellers of the snowflake variety.

Re the use of terms like SJW, Snowflake, etc I agree with kle4. They are over used by those that want to attack the views of others so lose all meaning now. Remoaner is another. I came in half way through an interview on the Today programme about the NI elections. An interviewee used it completely unnecessarily. It then changes the context of what he says subsequently because of emotive language. It is inevitable that whatever he says next is percieved as biased by both Remainers and Brexiters. Lie Dims is another. It is just an insult. Whereas Lie Dems in context of a dodgy bar chart might have been clever once.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

"The thing that they have in the US is starting to come to Europe now, that whole gangster thing, with the music and everything.”

Lol. I don't think Americans should be talking about violent crime in any other country until they sort out the problem of African American crime. 13% of population commit 53% of murders.
    I once read (quite a while ago) that if you take murders by African Americans out of the stats, America has a pretty average murder rate for a western country.
    Surely that is a class thing as much as race though? Are African Americans over represented in the murders committed by Middle and Upper Class Americans?

It seems to me the same kind of stat that shows how under represented ethnic minorities in the UK are in senior jobs/MPs, when it is actually that working class people are under represented, and ethnic minorities tend to be working class
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft:

Last week, thousands of people took to the streets of London and other British cities in opposition to President Trump’s planned state visit to the UK. The weekend was rounded off with a predictable burst of celebrity sniping against Trump at the Oscars. No doubt this made everyone concerned feel better. But there are perhaps two things above all that reassure Trump voters that they made the right decision in November: squealing Hollywood liberals and noisy protesters – especially abroad.

This ought to be obvious to anyone who knows anything about voters of any kind, let alone American ones, but if not, my research last month confirmed it. “I’m tired of hearing what Hollywood has to say and what we should be thinking,” a Trump voter told us in Macomb County, Michigan – one of the places that switched from Obama in 2012. “I look at them as the carnival folk. They have their sheltered little lives in Hollywood where they live in gated communities, they really don’t live in the real world… And that’s another reason I liked Trump – he just tore Hollywood a new one.”

As for the placard-wavers, “they’re going to stomp their feet no matter what he does. He could hand them a thousand dollars and they’d still find something to bitch about.” This went double for London, Paris and other foreign capitals...

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/03/protesting-state-visit-britain-no-favours-trump-no-harm/
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It's very alarming watching the Lords debate. They seem terrifyingly naive about how negotiations work - you don't give anything away without a concession.

Lord Hailsham raised Idi Amin's expulsion of the Asians! Sensationalist, irrelevant and utterly irresponsible.

I agree the expulsion of the East African Asians was sensationalist, irrelevant (to solving Uganda's problems) and utterly irresponsible.

Douglas Hailsham is very close to John Major, and went utterly native in the foreign office.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    There have been just 8 homicides this year in London so far. That's an incredibly low number for a city of 8.6 million people.

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/Investigate.asp
  • Options
    kjh said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool

[SNIP] It is just an insult. Whereas Lie Dems in context of a dodgy bar chart might have been clever once.
    Indeed, all this puerile language reminds me of the golden era of Tony Bliar, George Osbrowne, David Chameleon and Harriet Harperson. The all-time greatest was perhaps Nigel Shamarge. A classic of the genre.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool
    The fhe deviously clever "Swedish Ku Klux Klan".
    SJW ae variety.

Re the use of terms like SJW, Snowflake, etc I agree with kle4. They are over used by those that want to attack the views of others so lose all meaning now. Remoaner is another. I came in half way through an interview on the Today programme about the NI elections. An interviewee used it completely unnecessarily. It then changes the context of what he says subsequently because of emotive language. It is inevitable that whatever he says next is percieved as biased by both Remainers and Brexiters. Lie Dims is another. It is just an insult. Whereas Lie Dems in context of a dodgy bar chart might have been clever once.
    Like it or not, Remoaner is here to stay.
    And it looks like the American equivalents haven't learned either - Ashcroft:

Donald Trump was democratically elected and represents the choice of the American people – a choice....they made with their eyes open. .... But as in any other election, this was a choice between imperfect alternatives. Trump voters were not driven by misogyny, racism or ignorance (accusations which, again, only confirm that the left both misunderstands and looks down on them, fortifying their support for the President).
  • Options
    F1: reliability failure for Vettel's Ferrari but he's done 139 laps today. So, not bad.

Mercedes still looks bulletproof. Good number of laps by Sauber. Solid day for McLaren. Stroll's insurance premiums are on the rise.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

I agree the expulsion of the East African Asians was sensationalist, irrelevant (to solving Uganda's problems) and utterly irresponsible.

Douglas Hailsham is very close to John Major, and went utterly native in the foreign office.
    It will be a sad day in the circus when the language of the political schoolyard ends up in the OED. Still the OED is not what it was. I prefer Chambers.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T Thanks mods for removing the spammer/phisher
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    SeanT said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool
    SJW ae variety.

Re the use of terms like SJW, Snowflake, etc I agree with kle4. They are over used by thoseIt then changes the context of what he says subsequently because of emotive language. It is inevitable that whatever he says next is percieved as biased by both Remainers and Brexiters. Lie Dims is another. It is just an insult. Whereas Lie Dems in context of a dodgy bar chart might have been clever once.
    Like it or not, Remoaner is here to stay. When a word is used and instantly understood, without inverted commas, in papers as diverse as the Sun, the FT, and the Spectator, then it is headed for the Oxford English Dictionary

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2968384/theresa-may-must-warn-brits-she-will-have-to-make-major-compromises-during-brexit-talks-or-risk-bitterly-disappointing-voters-sir-john-major-says/

https://www.ft.com/content/0c7fb7ce-f2e5-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/sorry-remoaners-british-peso-way-back/
    Oh it too is a word that has a justifiable precise definition. Like brexitard, although that is far less common. But still it is overused, for instance on the sensible remainers who have concerns but are not actually seeking to overturn Brexit.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

O/T Thanks mods for removing the spammer/phisher

SeanT is still on here!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited March 2017

On the BBC website, they were saying earlier that Labour and the Liberals think 230 of their number will support their amendment and two-thirds of those crossbenchers that vote.

That doesn't sound like an overwhelming defeat for the government.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    Up to date victimisation rates in Sweden here. A possible uptick in threats, harrassment and sexual offences in the last year only. A decline over a number of years in assaults and steady for muggings. No obvious trend at this stage.
  • Options
    Just on language - certain shorthand terms also can be used to signify membership of groups (a Remain voter won't use the term 'Remoaner' very often). That will affect how seriously a message is taken, as well as alienating certain groups. So, you end up fragmenting political groups by vocabulary, which means people are literally speaking different language.

Political correctness can be used as a pejorative to mean the censorship of speech and actions that are perfectly reasonable but not line with an orthodox consensus, or as a term for ensuring bigoted speech isn't tolerated. In short, it's such a broad term it's essentially meaningless and any meaning it does have is determined by the speaker, and listener, and there could be a vast yawning chasm between them.

That can make it hard to effectively communicate because a simple phrase everyone knows can mean wildly different things.

/thisisanimportantpointandI'mdefinitelynotprocrastinating

And that's without getting into devaluing terms like 'Nazi' or 'fascist' by overusing them. Like over-prescribing antibiotics, the racism card is not as powerful as it was because it was thrown at those with genuine concerns over migration.

/ramblingforever
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    On the face of it his disintegration looks like good news for Macron, who would appear at this early stage to be a good bet for round two, but I'm cautious. I have certainly not ruled out a Le Pen victory, given what has gone before.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr. T/Mr. Bojabob, will Fillon step down or simply keep on going down, fighting hopelessly?

Edited extra bit: not dipping my toe in again, but Juppe/Baroin are 20/46 on Betfair, if you fancy it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

F1: reliability failure for Vettel's Ferrari but he's done 139 laps today. So, not bad.

Mercedes still looks bulletproof. Good number of laps by Sauber. Solid day for McLaren. Stroll's insurance premiums are on the rise.

I was slightly bemused to see that Williams is being sponsored by JCB. Perhaps Stroll's been taking this a little too literally, and has been seeing how good his car is at digging holes?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Is Fillon falling..?

Soon he'll have no backers at all.

Catherine Vautrin, vice-president of Les Républicans in the l'Assemblée, also wants him to stand down.
  • Options

Mr. T/Mr. Bojabob, will Fillon step down or simply keep on going down, fighting hopelessly?

It's a very good question. I am not close enough to French politics to suggest an answer. Perhaps some wiser posters might cast their view?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it's an interesting sponsorship.

Stroll's had three offs in two days. That's a little iffy.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    isam said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

The first SJW counter-narrative I've seen is that the men threatening him in this migrant area were les.

I once read (quite a while ago) that if you take murders by African Americans out of the stats, America has a pretty average murder rate for a western country.
    Surely that is a class thing as much as race though? Are African Americans over represented in the murders committed by Middle and Upper Class Americans?

It seems to me the same kind of stat that shows how under represented ethnic minorities in the UK are in senior jobs/MPs, when it is actually that working class people are under represented, and ethnic minorities tend to be working class
    This is a very good point. But many other groups who are just as poor such as Hispanics don't commit that much crime.

Maybe we should compare poor native born whites to poor native born blacks in America. Do they committee same number of violent crimes per capita? (I get that living in a urban vs. rural area as well as other factors make a comparison harder not least since blacks only got equal rights one or two generation ago).
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

It will be a sad day in the circus when the language of the political schoolyard ends up in the OED.
    The purpose of the OED (or any good dictionary) is to record language as it is used, not, like the Academie Francais who opine on how language should be used (with very limited success - le jumbo jet well outlived 'le gros porteur')

As Dr Johnson lexicographer (harmless drudge) of our first dictionary wisely observed you'd might as well try to bind the sea in chains as control how language is used....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Like it or not, Remoaner is here to stay. When a word is used and instantly understood, without inverted commas, in papers as diverse as the Sun, the FT, and the Spectator, then it is headed for the Oxford English Dictionary

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2968384/theresa-may-must-warn-brits-she-will-have-to-make-major-compromises-during-brexit-talks-or-risk-bitterly-disappointing-voters-sir-john-major-says/

It certainly has currency but I'm not sure Remoaner will stay. Some supporters of independence for Scotland use "Yoon" to delegitimise supporters of the UK Union, but the term's dying out now.
  • Options

Just on language - certain shorthand terms also can be used to signify membership of groups (a Remain voter won't use the term 'Remoaner' very often). That will affect how seriously a message is taken, as well as alienating certain groups. So, you end up fragmenting political groups by vocabulary, which means people are literally speaking different language.

Political correctness can be used as a pejorative to mean the censorship of speech and actions that are perfectly reasonable but not line with an orthodox consensus, or as a term for ensuring bigoted speech isn't tolerated. In short, it's such a broad term it's essentially meaningless and any meaning it does have is determined by the speaker, and listener, and there could be a vast yawning chasm between them.

That can make it hard to effectively communicate because a simple phrase everyone knows can mean wildly different things.

And that's without getting into devaluing terms like 'Nazi' or 'fascist' by overusing them. Like over-prescribing antibiotics, the racism card is not as powerful as it was because it was thrown at those with genuine concerns over migration.

/ramblingforever

The purpose of terms like Remoaner is to deligitimise a group of people for what they believe. To other* them. It's not simply, or mainly, a categorical description

* Is "other" in the OED as a verb? It should be.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

It certainly has currency but I'm not sure Remoaner will stay. Some supporters of independence for Scotland use "Yoon" to delegitimise supporters of the UK Union, but the term's dying out now.
    I wouldn't be to sure - Salmond used it the other day...

Alex Salmond hates Donald Trump.

At least he does nowadays. Back in 2007, the Scottish Government, then led by the former first minister, revived The Don’s controversial transformation of the Menie estate into a golf course after Aberdeenshire Council rejected the plans. The move followed a meeting between the pair at a hotel in Aberdeen.

Perhaps, despite leading protests against the now President of the United States, there is remains a lingering admiration for how the billionaire does business. That could explain why he has adapted some of the same tactics when it comes to denigrating the media.

In this video blog, Mr Salmond attacks the “yoon media” for what he sees as unrelenting bias against the SNP.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/talking-politics/373840/alex-salmonds-yoon-media-attack-just-trumpian-denigration/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool
    SJW ae variety.

I never said it shouldn't be used. It is the context. If you say Remoaner when you mean Remainer, you immediately bias your readers thoughts about what you write.

It is a bit like referring to a Conservative as a Fascist or a Liberal as a Commie. If you do that I am going to know your thoughts are not logical and are heavily biased because you have deliberately used the wrong words.
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

At least he does nowadays. Back in 2007, the Scottish Government, then led by the former first minister, revived The Don’s controversial transformation of the Menie estate into a golf course after Aberdeenshire Council rejected the plans. The move followed a meeting between the pair at a hotel in Aberdeen.

Perhaps, despite leading protests against the now President of the United States, there is remains a lingering admiration for how the billionaire does business. That could explain why he has adapted some of the same tactics when it comes to denigrating the media.

In this video blog, Mr Salmond attacks the “yoon media” for what he sees as unrelenting bias against the SNP.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/talking-politics/373840/alex-salmonds-yoon-media-attack-just-trumpian-denigration/
    Somehow none of this surprises me ...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

/ramblingforever

The purpose of terms like Remoaner is to deligitimise a group of people for what they believe. To other* them. It's not simply, or mainly, a categorical description

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/other

Others might view 'Remoaners' as those who seek to delegitimise the result of a democratic referendum.....in contrast to Remainers who accept the result.

How would you characterise 'Brexitard'?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dixie said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

I don't t).
    Family member just bple.
    Here's Tim Pool
    SJW ae variety.

R

Oh it too is a word that has a justifiable precise definition. Like brexitard, although that is far less common. But still it is overused, for instance on the sensible remainers who have concerns but are not actually seeking to overturn Brexit.
    Came across my first 'Brexshitter' today. Twitter really is a sewer.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

/ramblingforever

The specific purpose of the term "Remoaner" is to "other" (as you put it) those who think the democratic decision of the British people should be ignored by the elite.

You might see this as a problem.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

It will be a sad day in the circus when the language of the political schoolyard ends up in the OED.
    The purpose of the OED (or any good dictionary) is to record language as it is used, not, like the Academie Francais who opine on how language should be used (with very limited success - le jumbo jet well outlived 'le gros porteur')

As Dr Johnson lexicographer (harmless drudge) of our first dictionary wisely observed you'd might as well try to bind the sea in chains as control how language is used....
    They are but fleeting, these political insults. And in any case still aren't in common currency beyond political anoraks and internet forums. See also: cybernits, leftards and virtue signalling.
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

IIRC Trump and Salmond fell out big time over his Aberdeenshire golf course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Just heard my beloved elder daughter got into her first choice secondary school: a very nice new Free School, full of clever Jewish kids, with excellent facilities, friendly teachers, spirited ethos, kick-ass pushy rich north London governors.

Thankyou, the Coalition, 2010-2015.

Mazel tov.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

/ramblingforever

"otherise" is better
    That's not a bloody word either.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Everyone seems to assume the negotiations will be about trade. On the World at One there was a very heated discussion between some East Europeans and a government minister about how they had to put their lives on hold even though one of them had been here with their family since 1997.

The government Minister said no guarantees could be given. I found it very ugly and unpleasant. It reminded me of Tories of old. This next few years isn't going to be pretty and not because of currency fluctuations.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

SeanT said:

Is Fillon falling..?

Soon he'll have no backers at all.

Catherine Vautrin, vice-president of Les Républicans in the l'Assemblée, also wants him to stand down.
    The bastards have got him. If he wants the right wing to win, he has to stand down.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

/ramblingforever

"otherise" is better
    That's not a bloody word either.
    I haven't learnt how to do a smily face yet!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Remoaner will live as long as the question of the UK's EU membership is an issue, which could be quite a while.

It might then die, or morph into something longterm like "Tory" or "Whig", which outgrew their original meanings, yet lived on

One day we will have to finally choose between Brexiter or Brexiteer.

Brextremist or herd will suffice
This discussion has been closed.