Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mapping across – how the Brexit vote might translate onto the

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

For those who missed it. There's 94 applause breaks - I'm guessing the actual speech lasted about 40mins without them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJuvNMLBcQk

The Independent is less impressed: almost every major claim made in it appeared to be false.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-speech-fact-check-lies-claims-joint-address-congress-jobs-immigration-pipeline-a7604861.html
    It really is a stretch to say some of those statements are false. e.g.:

TRUMP: "Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force."

THE FACTS: That's true, but for the vast majority of them, it's because they choose to be.

Where's the false statement?

TRUMP: His budget plan will offer "one of the largest increases in national defence spending in American history".

THE FACTS: Three times in recent years, Congress raised defence budgets by larger percentages than the 54 billion dollars, or 10%, increase Mr Trump proposes. The base defense budget grew by 41 billion dollars, or 14.3%, in 2002; by 37 billion dollars, or 11.3%, in 2003, and by 47 billion dollars, or 10.9%, in 2008, according to Defence Department figures.

Since when didn't top three qualify as "one of the largest".
    I think they need a category of misleading or requiring clarification. Your two examples fit that more than simply being false. Headlines, headlines. He tells enough fibs generally.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Are you now or have you ever been a Remainer?

Firms bidding for government contracts asked if they back Brexit

Department for International Trade says tech companies should have the right ‘cultural fit’ if they want to be hired

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/01/firms-bidding-for-government-contracts-asked-if-they-back-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

It was only a matter of time. They'll have us wearing yellow stars before you can say 'Hartlepool'. Interesting choice of shot by the Guardian. They're very good at that
    Have you read the article ?

That is not what the job description says at all, I believe the story has a misleading header.
    Yes. Have you? It's even got a picture of leering Liam Fox!

"Contractors bidding for work with the government are being asked to affirm that they back Brexit.

Liam Fox’s Department for International Trade (DIT) has inserted a clause into advertisements inviting tech companies to bid for work, saying that in order to have the right “cultural fit” for the task, they must “be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union”.

Pro-Brexit ministers have sometimes been frustrated by civil servants’ lack of enthusiasm for the complex task of unpicking Britain’s close relationship with the EU and appear to be determined to hire firms that share their optimism."
    Try the test of opposites.

Do we want contractors who are not committed to the best possible outcome, or who are committed to the worst possible outcome?
    Do we want enthusiasm for Brexit to be measured on scorecards for job interviews?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

stodge said:

The question is then what do we make of the 28% or REMAIN voters who support the Conservatives - as others have argued, with a tinge of desperation, we will have left the EU and all this will be done with and forgotten and "Global Britain", rather like the Crimson Permanent Assurance, will be sailing toward the sunlit horizons.

How many of that 28% voted REMAIN because
    a) They were loyal conservatives following their leader
    b) They believed in Dave personally and were following him
    c) They believed Project Fear

a) Will mostly be following Theresa now and leaning toward Leave
    b) Will dwindle but there will be the TSE tendency left, others will move to the LDs
    c) Will have mostly decided it was bullshit and adjusted their views accordingly.

You haven't noticed all the opinion polls that show that basically no one has changed their minds about Brexit?

Personally I'm surprised just how few Remainer Conservatives have demonstrated Stockholm Syndrome. It shows just what a poor job Leave supporters have done in reaching out to even the most potentially persuadable Remainers.
    Why do you expect people to change their minds? Look at Scotland, post independence vote in 2014. Has anyone changed their minds there?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Polls? How very 2016. Now Google Street View AI scanner can predict how people will vote

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/01/google_street_view_predicts_voting/

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    think everyone is overanalysing that sentence about illegal immigrants and crime in the US.

Why nitpick that sentence and not look at the bigger picture about what Trump is trying to do with the original claim?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

I have to say, David, this smacks of desperation and wishful thinking. Of course it will suit the Conservatives if we all "move on" but A50 will be an integral part of our lives over the next couple of years and isn't going to go away.

As a non-Conservative, I quite like the idea of holding this Government to account on its record beyond leaving the EU as I suspect by 2020 there will be plenty of areas in which it will be found wanting but that's just me.

As for Conservative "unity", we'll see. With the exceptions of Ken Clarke and John Major, neither of whom have much to lose, we've heard little in the way of dissenting voices but that may change with time and especially if, for example, the City doesn't fare so well in the A50 negotiations.

Of course, the Conservatives can only prosper while Corbyn leads the Opposition - that won't last forever and as sure as night follows day, Labour will re-group and become the credible alternative - I'm inclined to think it won't happen this side of 2020 but to assume it won't ever happen is naïve. Add into that day to day Government bungling and the growing sense we're all fed up with that Theresa May telling us what's what and there's plenty in the medium and longer term for Conservatives to consider. For now, though, all's right with the world.

I think the key phrase in your response is "the next couple of years". I agree. But we are talking about how that affects an election in 2020. I don't think it will much although the tories have a strategic opportunity with the collapse of UKIP.

I too wish we had a serious and credible opposition asking the hard questions and testing the arguments. I have repeatedly said that Labour's disgraceful self indulgence in choosing Corbyn twice not only let their supporters (as opposed to members) down but the country down. Its unfortunate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

For those who missed it. There's 94 applause breaks - I'm guessing the actual speech lasted about 40mins without them

The Independent is less impressed: almost every major claim made in it appeared to be false.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-speech-fact-check-lies-claims-joint-address-congress-jobs-immigration-pipeline-a7604861.html

THE FACTS: That's true, but for the vast majority of them, it's because they choose to be.

TRUMP: His budget plan will offer "one of the largest increases in national defence spending in American history".

THE FACTS: Three times in recent years, Congress raised defence budgets by larger percentages than the 54 billion dollars, or 10%, increase Mr Trump proposes. The base defense budget grew by 41 billion dollars, or 14.3%, in 2002; by 37 billion dollars, or 11.3%, in 2003, and by 47 billion dollars, or 10.9%, in 2008, according to Defence Department figures.

I think they need a category of misleading or requiring clarification. Your two examples fit that more than simply being false. Headlines, headlines. He tells enough fibs generally.
    How is the second one even misleading? He seems to cause the supposed fact checkers go into overdrive with their rebuttals.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @stodge glad to see someone still remembers the wide accountancy!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Department for International Trade says tech companies should have the right ‘cultural fit’ if they want to be hired

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/01/firms-bidding-for-government-contracts-asked-if-they-back-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

It was only a matter of time. They'll have us wearing yellow stars before you can say 'Hartlepool'. Interesting choice of shot by the Guardian. They're very good at that

That is not what the job description says at all, I believe the story has a misleading header.

"Contractors bidding for work with the government are being asked to affirm that they back Brexit.

Liam Fox’s Department for International Trade (DIT) has inserted a clause into advertisements inviting tech companies to bid for work, saying that in order to have the right “cultural fit” for the task, they must “be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union”.

Pro-Brexit ministers have sometimes been frustrated by civil servants’ lack of enthusiasm for the complex task of unpicking Britain’s close relationship with the EU and appear to be determined to hire firms that share their optimism."

Do we want contractors who are not committed to the best possible outcome, or who are committed to the worst possible outcome?
    Do we want enthusiasm for Brexit to be measured on scorecards for job interviews?
    It's a ridiculous idea. Who would say they are not committed to the best possible outcome when applying for the job? It'd be like answering honestly about how keen you are when applying for a job you may not love but need. Unless the question is a smokescreen to reward those who backed Brexit beforehand, I struggle to see what the point of it is, since leave or remain a contractor will do the best job they can.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    @HYUFD

Good idea. But how would people look for work? Presumably they could be granted temporary visas to seek work? Bit of a palava but there it is. London visas would be a great idea - you can move to London and work freely - and might even happen. We are more open down here than in the boonies.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    stodge said:

I suspect the vast majority are "loyal Conservatives" though it remains to be seen how their loyalty will be tested if the A50 negotiations result in something with which they do not agree and which is personally disadvantageous.

I think you, along with most of us on here, credit the public with way too much awareness of what is happening in the political world. Most voters dont even work out who their MP is until the start of the short campaign before an election. I suspect the same will be true about BrExit, the voters listened to the referendum campaign, in all likelihood took both sides with a grain of salt, and expressed their preference, most will have noted the result with a sigh, or a small smile of satisfaction, and left the politicians to get on with it.

The voters will expect both sides to lie through their teeth and grandstand the whole way through the negotiations and will, to the extent they pay any attention at all, treat those will a grain of salt as well. When something final does or doesn't happen and they start to feel the effect, maybe they will start to react, but even then there is plenty of time for both sides to try and place the blame, a game for which the EU has made a possibly critical mistake by putting someone as obstinate and comedy villainesque as Barnier in the driving seat, a politician almost designed to be the baddy that carries the can.

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

How is the second one even misleading? He seems to cause the supposed fact checkers go into overdrive with their rebuttals.
    That one is a requires clarification, or at least they've chosen to clarify it further. In their slight defence though, they didn't say every one was a lie.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Here's a radical idea. Why have Liam Fox as thought policeman at all?
  • Options
    To my mind there are about half a dozen Con seats that are vulnerable to the LDs due to their high remain votes - Bath, Cheltenham, OXWAB, Winchester, Twickenham and Kingston. There are also others that the LDs ought to be able to make competitive like S Cambs and St Albans. A lot of the Con remain votes are in very safe seats like Wokingham.

However, I still think there is a greater opportunity for the Cons if they can take UKIP votes in the Midlands in places like Dudley, Coventry, Stoke, Walsall, Wolverhampton. Also Noirth Wales
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

The second is absolutely true, Trump didn't mention "percentage" in his quote at all, he said the largest, which would reasonably be taken to mean in absolute terms, and 54bn proposed by Trump is indeed larger than 41bn in 2002 or 37bn in 2003 or 47bn in 2008.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

It's a ridiculous idea. Who would say they are not committed to the best possible outcome when applying for the job? It'd be like answering honestly about how keen you are when applying for a job you may not love but need. Unless the question is a smokescreen to reward those who backed Brexit beforehand, I struggle to see what the point of it is, since leave or remain a contractor will do the best job they can.
    Quite. Leave or Remain, we all want the best outcome for our country.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

Since "fourth" wasn't "top three"...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

stodge said:

The question is then what do we make of the 28% or REMAIN voters who support the Conservatives - as others have argued, with a tinge of desperation, we will have left the EU and all this will be done with and forgotten and "Global Britain", rather like the Crimson Permanent Assurance, will be sailing toward the sunlit horizons.

b) Will dwindle but there will be the TSE tendency left, others will move to the LDs
    c) Will have mostly decided it was bullshit and adjusted their views accordingly.

You haven't noticed all the opinion polls that show that basically no one has changed their minds about Brexit?

Personally I'm surprised just how few Remainer Conservatives have demonstrated Stockholm Syndrome. It shows just what a poor job Leave supporters have done in reaching out to even the most potentially persuadable Remainers.
    Why do you expect people to change their minds? Look at Scotland, post independence vote in 2014. Has anyone changed their minds there?
    Do you think Brexit can be a success if Remainers don't get behind it? Leavers keep saying that it's time to move on but not many Remainers show any sign of doing so. No doubt Leavers see this as Remainers' fault (as always). But do they see this as a regrettable state of affairs or something that is critical to turn around?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Why have Liam Fox at all? Full stop.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Quite. Leave or Remain, we all want the best outcome for our country.
    Sadly not true, there are quite enough remainers still throwing rattles from prams that would happily see the country crash and burn just to prove their own moral or political scruples to be right. We might even have a few on this forum.
  • Options

So it begins. The DM battle against any kind of death duty to pay for social care:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269840/SARAH-VINE-wanted-death-taxes-d-vote-communist.html#ixzz4a3ZHmhjM

Not just the Daily Mail but the wife of Michael Gove.

Given how influential she was in the Tory leadership contest and the slenderness of the Tory majority, be very afraid Mrs May.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

think everyone is overanalysing that sentence about illegal immigrants and crime in the US.

Why nitpick that sentence and not look at the bigger picture about what Trump is trying to do with the original claim?

Perhaps, although whether it was clumsily written or misleading is important in how they chose to frame the issue and thus what they claim trump is trying to do. even if the intent was misleading does that undermine the rest? Not entirely, but their intent is still a factor. You see this when people seize on whether one says refugee or migrant, or god forbid uses the word swarming, picking apart any actual policy based on the perceived truth of what was meant based on word choice.

I think that tendency goes too far myself, people will dismiss or condemn of the basis of single words inelegantly chosen sometimes, but I can acknowledge it can be relevant.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

That one is a requires clarification, or at least they've chosen to clarify it further. In their slight defence though, they didn't say every one was a lie.
    The way they have them all set out as Trump/The Facts implies they are separate and distinct. The only egregious ones on that list were the Obamacare one (hard to prove) and the F-35 one (who knows what effect Trump's tweet had before he was President, but the fact is the price did go down the day after he made it, so it must have had some).

Interesting that on the terrorism point, they don't actually fact check his figure (people convicted of terrorism offences). They quote a government report about 82 people being inspired to carry out or attempt a terrorist attack, when in fact there have been over 550 terrorism convictions since 9/11 (http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/resource/myth-v-fact-trying-terror-suspects-federal-courts).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895

So it begins. The DM battle against any kind of death duty to pay for social care:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269840/SARAH-VINE-wanted-death-taxes-d-vote-communist.html#ixzz4a3ZHmhjM

Yes, as soon as I saw this proposal yesterday, I thought the Mail would be apoplectic.

Sarah Vine distorts the reality nicely - the truth is the vast majority of people do not use or need the care system in terms of needing residential accommodation. Yes, many have lower levels of "care" - my father has home based care visits as an example which is funded by the local authority but for which we went through a process of assessment.

As for the "property" angle, let me be blunt. Many people who bought property in the 70s and 80s have seen the value of that property increase far beyond inflation. As an appreciating capital asset, it is an obvious thing to pass on to children or other beneficiaries. Property continues to appreciate and is for most people their main asset to fund later life.

Unless the Government closes the loophole allowing property to be "trusted" to siblings, it's then a cultural question of whether individuals should take more responsibility for funding their later life (including provision for care as well as a pension) ? The Thatcherites might argue they should.

Ignoring the Sarah Vine bleating, the counter position is the State can and should be focussing more effort on a growing elderly population and that means ensuring adequate provision both in terms of home based care and residential accommodation (including specialist dementia homes) as well as setting the quality of style we, as a society, want our older people to enjoy. If we want our parents or grandparents to enjoy a decent quality of life AND we want that quality for ourselves, we shouldn't baulk at paying for it in terms of both increased tax an NI on the one hand and planning policies geared to provide adequate appropriate accommodation (make Surrey like Florida without the sunshine)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indeed. It's the factcheckers who decided percentage increase is the right way to go. Trump can argue that $54bn is larger than the $41bn, $37bn and $47bn numbers they cite

Edit: for shame! Beaten by @AlsoIndigo
  • Options

Given how influential she was in the Tory leadership contest and the slenderness of the Tory majority, be very afraid Mrs May.
    Perhaps Mrs Gove can ask her husband to come up with another way of raising the billions needed for social care with an ageing population.
  • Options

chestnut said:

stodge said:

Do you think Brexit can be a success if Remainers don't get behind it? Leavers keep saying that it's time to move on but not many Remainers show any sign of doing so. No doubt Leavers see this as Remainers' fault (as always). But do they see this as a regrettable state of affairs or something that is critical to turn around?
    Probably 90% of the country are not exercised by the matter at all. BrExit can happen just fine without the cooperation of half the remaining 10%. It would be interesting to see how many voters actually don't give that much of a cr*p and are not interested in completing polls on the subject. Let us not forget that the pre-referendum polling was markedly wrong because there was a couple of million voters that never bother replying to polls, but were prepared to vote Leave.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Since "fourth" wasn't "top three"...
    Good spot! Hah :smiley:
  • Options

chestnut said:

stodge said:

In the end the politically motivated remainers and leavers will continue their no win dialogue while people get on with their lives. However, if the EU or vocal remainers are perceived to be the cause of inhibiting a fair deal it will not be the Government who will experience the anger of the electorate
  • Options
    Charles said:

Actually, not only was that the best part of the film in my view but a wonderfully prescient allegory about the triumph of age and experience over youth.

• Options
    Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

His ball, his rules.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Probate fees will be rocketing up in May, too.
  • Options
    Judging by the timeline of @PCollinsTimes, Labour types are tearing each other apart about whether Blairites are tory scum guilty of betrayal and careerism.

So the usual order of morning business in our main opposition party.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Roger said:

Interesting. I think I might have underestimated the stupidity of the the good folk of Hartlepool. But as those people are 'Leavers' its not really surprising that at this stage they don't want to appear flaky though I doubt that would be the case if things started to really go bad.

I fear you won't find much comfort among Remainers either:

If Britain does secure the sort of Brexit deal that Theresa May has suggested do you think it would be good or bad for Britain?
    Good: 32
    Bad: 38

Do you think this outcome would or would not respect the result of the referendum?
    Respect: 56
    Not Respect: 19

Theresa May also said that "no deal is better than a bad deal". Which of the following best reflects your view?
    No deal: 28
    Bad deal: 30

Theresa May suggested that Britain would walk away from negotiations if other European Union countries are not prepared to offer a good deal. This would mean Britain leaving the EU without a new trade deal and tariffs being applies to imports and exports between Britain and the EU. Do you think Britain should or should not be prepared to walk away from a bad deal?
    Walk away: 34
    Not walk away: 45

And Remainers are even less likely to think the EU will give us the deal May set out:

And do you think the other member states of the European Union will or will not agree to the sort of Brexit deal that Theresa May is proposing?
    Net agree: -54

So while Leavers are strongly behind May's plan - but don't think the EU will agree, a good third of Remainers could live with it (and over half think it would respect the referendum result) but over half don't think the EU will agree to it.
    So remainers want a bad deal for Britain?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Charles said:

Actually, not only was that the best part of the film in my view but a wonderfully prescient allegory about the triumph of age and experience over youth.

It's my favourite trope from their entire oeuvre
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

stodge said:

Do you think Brexit can be a success if Remainers don't get behind it?
    Brexit is now just a policy to be enacted by an elected government.

There are always oppositions that oppose what the government do, yet governments can still succeed in the face of opposition. In fact, this policy has greater democratic support than any standard government.

So yes, Brexit can succeed in spite of Remainers. Particularly hostile Remainers are a fairly small minority. Most people simply look for sensible Brexit.

Your question however, provides the justification for the Dept of International Trade question about tendering. Why hire people that are actively hostile to the ethos and goals of your organisation?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

How so?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

When it is directly relevant to how well, or badly, people do a job, absolutely. Just as you wouldn't have wanted declared Communists in MI5 during the Cold War.
  • Options
    Nigel Farage: Carswell stopping Ukip becoming radical anti-immigration party

Ukip spat continues as party’s former leader says MP is trying to turn it into mainstream party with bland message

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/01/nigel-farage-carswell-stopping-ukip-becoming-radical-anti-immigration-party?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mrs B,

"I think everyone is overanalysing that sentence about illegal immigrants and crime in the US.

Why nitpick that sentence and not look at the bigger picture about what Trump is trying to do with the original claim?"

Hmm ... so if what someone claims is a lie is actually true - that wouldn't matter either because you know he is a liar.

So if I said today is Wednesday, that's a lie too if I had, according to you, a record of lying. That is, if I were a politician. To be honest, that's not a bad idea, and the way most people operate.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

His ball, his rules.
    It's British taxpayers money he's spending...
  • Options

Nigel Farage: Carswell stopping Ukip becoming radical anti-immigration party

Ukip spat continues as party’s former leader says MP is trying to turn it into mainstream party with bland message

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/01/nigel-farage-carswell-stopping-ukip-becoming-radical-anti-immigration-party?CMP=twt_gu

Didn't realise Carswell had total control over the party's policies!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Nitpicking over Trump's speech is missing the point in an epic way - viewers aren't interested unless they're scrabbling about for meagre confirmation bias evidence.

The CNN poll - hardly a friendly source - was overwhelmingly positive.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/donald-trump-joint-address-poll/

"On specific issues, Trump scored the highest marks for his proposed policies on the economy, with 72% saying those went in the right direction. Almost as many, 70%, said the same about his terrorism proposals. Slightly fewer, but still a majority, felt his policies on taxes (64%), immigration (62%) or health care (61%) were heading in the right direction.

Ideologically, about two-thirds saw Trump's speech as about right, while roughly on-quarter (26%) pegged it as too conservative. Just 8% said it wasn't conservative enough... Results for the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

How so?
    Big increases this year in probate fees
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

Perhaps Mrs Gove can ask her husband to come up with another way of raising the billions needed for social care with an ageing population.
    How about taxing (say over £30k) the lump sums from pensions?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, as soon as I saw this proposal yesterday, I thought the Mail would be apoplectic.

Sarah Vine distorts the reality nicely - the truth is the vast majority of people do not use or need the care system in terms of needing residential accommodation. Yes, many have lower levels of "care" - my father has home based care visits as an example which is funded by the local authority but for which we went through a process of assessment.

As for the "property" angle, let me be blunt. Many people who bought property in the 70s and 80s have seen the value of that property increase far beyond inflation. As an appreciating capital asset, it is an obvious thing to pass on to children or other beneficiaries. Property continues to appreciate and is for most people their main asset to fund later life.

Unless the Government closes the loophole allowing property to be "trusted" to siblings, it's then a cultural question of whether individuals should take more responsibility for funding their later life (including provision for care as well as a pension) ? The Thatcherites might argue they should.

Ignoring the Sarah Vine bleating, the counter position is the State can and should be focussing more effort on a growing elderly population and that means ensuring adequate provision both in terms of home based care and residential accommodation (including specialist dementia homes) as well as setting the quality of style we, as a society, want our older people to enjoy. If we want our parents or grandparents to enjoy a decent quality of life AND we want that quality for ourselves, we shouldn't baulk at paying for it in terms of both increased tax an NI on the one hand and planning policies geared to provide adequate appropriate accommodation (make Surrey like Florida without the sunshine)
    Well put. Only a small % need the full-on social care. But nobody knows if it will be them or not. Pooling the risk is the best way forward.

So, its some kind of death tax - 10% on all estates?

Or, compulsory social care insurance/NI increase.

How do other countries do this?

For f**** sake why doesn't the government grow a pair and get on with devising a way forward.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited March 2017

Quite right too and millions of Tory voters and Tory members like me will agree with her. Increasing national insurance on the middle-aged and encouraging annuities is a far better way of funding social care. Hammond's 'consultation' on this will likely drop it
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

stodge said:

There are always oppositions that oppose what the government do, yet governments can still succeed in the face of opposition. In fact, this policy has greater democratic support than any standard government.

So yes, Brexit can succeed in spite of Remainers. Particularly hostile Remainers are a fairly small minority. Most people simply look for sensible Brexit.

Your question however, provides the justification for the Dept of International Trade question about tendering. Why hire people that are actively hostile to the ethos and goals of your organisation?

Come on... It's clearly a weird thing to put on a form for an IT company isn't it?
  • Options
    @MxSba: FRANCE: #Fillon cancels visit and will hold a presser around noon today at its Paris HQ, reports @franceinter. Don't jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think the key phrase in your response is "the next couple of years". I agree. But we are talking about how that affects an election in 2020. I don't think it will much although the tories have a strategic opportunity with the collapse of UKIP.

I too wish we had a serious and credible opposition asking the hard questions and testing the arguments. I have repeatedly said that Labour's disgraceful self indulgence in choosing Corbyn twice not only let their supporters (as opposed to members) down but the country down. Its unfortunate.

If I were doing the PR for this, David, I would have "Exit Day" or "Freedom Day" or whatever on say August 1st 2019 - probably nice weather, start of summer holidays etc and on the very day we leave the EU present a raft of negotiated free trade deals with the USA, Canada, NZ and Australia as the launch of "Global Britain".

People will be so wrapped up in the euphoria they'll still be on a "high" by May 7th 2020 and May will be swept back in a landslide.

The Devil will be in the detail - it always is - but the detailed analysis and the problems will be drowned out by the euphoria and the tub-thumping and all the rest.

As for your second paragraph, can't disagree with a single word. The problem for the Conservatives will be if they believe they are immortal and become self-indulgent as in the late 1980s and early 1990s. That won't do the Party any good , not that I care about that, but it won't do the country any good and that I do care about. Absence of Opposition is no excuse for poor Government though it does excuse it in the short term.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792
    edited March 2017
    Based on the Scottish precedent, I think Brexit is likely to have a long lasting effect that benefits the Conservatives.

First Scotland. If you support independence there is a 85%-90% probability of you voting SNP (with a small leakage to the Greens). If you don't, you will vote for one of Conservative, Labour or Lib Dems on a similar probability. With one major pro-independence party and several pro-Union parties, the SNP is more or less guaranteed to have more votes than the second party anywhere in Scotland and win every FPTP election they stand for (Holyrood is semi-FPTP)

The percentages are less stark in England and Wales re Brexit, but a similar effect is certainly there. IIRC 70% of Conservative voters think Brexit is a good idea; 95% of UKIP voters; while only 20% of Labour voters and 15% of Lib Dems. Both Brexit factions have party splits but the Conservatives do better relatively against UKIP than Labour does against the Lib Dems. They also have that useful 30% continuity Remainers who are sticking with them regardless of the Leave vote. Most important, Theresa May is entrenching the Conservatives' Brexit advantage by pursuing a rhetorically hard Brexit and in doing so undermining UKIP to make the Conservatives the undisputed Party of Brexit
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

stodge said:

Come on... It's clearly a weird thing to put on a form for an IT company isn't it?
    I agree. It's stupid and paranoid. We should assume professionalism.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Quite right too and millions of Tory voters and Tory members like me will agree with her. Increasing national insurance on the middle-aged and encouraging annuities is a far better way of funding social care. Hammond's 'consultation' on this will likely drop it
    It's not communism to use one's own wealth to provide for one's old age.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Annuities are a crap idea. The average person gets utterly screwed by insurance companies. And so much depends on luck - anyone forced to have taken an annuity in the last 8 years, for instance, would have their life's savings swapped for a pittance.
  • Options

Judging by the timeline of @PCollinsTimes, Labour types are tearing each other apart about whether Blairites are tory scum guilty of betrayal and careerism.

So the usual order of morning business in our main opposition party.

So if Tony was a Tory the last time Labour was in power was Sunny Jim's three years of minority government before the Winter of Discontent and losing a vote of confidence and heralding the most powerful and far reaching Tory government since the War ? There hasnt been an effective Labour government since around the time Houston had a problem!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133

chestnut said:

stodge said:

By that theory membership of the EU was not and could not have been a success as some people never supported it.

And, with respect, you seem to be inhabiting a PB and Islington bubble. Throughout the country Remainers have moved on - they may not have changed their minds but then people who have voted in an election rarely change their minds after their party has lost.

Finally Birmingham Edgbaston was 52.7% Remain, not 'nearly 60%' :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#Result_by_Constituency
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Behr:

The reactionaries won’t admit they’ve won, and the liberals haven’t grasped the scale of their defeat. That is good for May, who navigates through the middle. She read the cultural mood when it was against her party in opposition. Now she co-opts a different mood as her personal project in power. That doesn’t mean she will make a success of Brexit, as she promises. The real process hasn’t even begun. The economy will soon enough be the big theme in politics again. Then the warnings issued by two former prime ministers might resonate. But for now, it is culture wars that dominate, and the current prime minister who commands the field.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/brexit-british-culture-theresa-may-tony-blair-john-major
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Based on the Scottish precedent, I think Brexit is likely to have a long lasting effect that benefits the Conservatives.

First Scotland. If you support independence there is a 85%-90% probability of you voting SNP (with a small leakage to the Greens). If you don't, you will vote for one of Conservative, Labour or Lib Dems on a similar probability. With one major pro-independence party and several pro-Union parties, the SNP is more or less guaranteed to have more votes than the second party anywhere in Scotland and win every FPTP election they stand for (Holyrood is semi-FPTP)

The percentages are less stark in England and Wales re Brexit, but a similar effect is certainly there. IIRC 70% of Conservative voters think Brexit is a good idea; 95% of UKIP voters; while only 20% of Labour voters and 15% of Lib Dems. Both Brexit factions have party splits but the Conservatives do better relatively against UKIP than Labour does against the Lib Dems. They also have that useful 30% continuity Remainers who are sticking with them regardless of the Leave vote. Most important, Theresa May is entrenching the Conservatives' Brexit advantage by pursuing a rhetorically hard Brexit and in doing so undermining UKIP to make the Conservatives the undisputed Party of Brexit

Not many Conservative Remainers have a strong emotional commitment to the EU, unlike their Labour and Lib Dem counterparts.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It's interesting how this issue disrupts the normal political dividing lines...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It is when you already pay inheritance tax. National Insurance should pay for social care and if it needs to be increased so be it. I will oppose this proposal vehemently if it is pushed forward as will thousands of other Tory members.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

His ball, his rules.
    It's British taxpayers money he's spending...
    Yes, and they elected the government that gave him the job...
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Annuities are a crap idea. The average person gets utterly screwed by insurance companies. And so much depends on luck - anyone forced to have taken an annuity in the last 8 years, for instance, would have their life's savings swapped for a pittance.
    Well anyone who invests long term - ie annuities - for an annual return of under 2% - when inflation is already 2% - is nuts.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

@MxSba: FRANCE: #Fillon cancels visit and will hold a presser around noon today at its Paris HQ, reports @franceinter. Don't jump to conclusions.

Too late, the Betfair market already jumped to conclusions, but is now starting to backtrack a bit.

COULD be that he is announcing that he is finally
    pulling out, as he has stagnated in the polls over the past couple of weeks as a result of the scandal.

OR, a wild guess - it is the launch of his"victim campaign" where he will announce he and his wife have received death threats or similar.
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

You can get an annuity for about £70 000 but yes raising National Insurance on 50 to 65s is by far the best way of paying for social care especially as everyone would have to pay it and everyone will potentially need social care whereas almost 40% now rent and do not own a property anyway so this new socialist death tax would raise next to nothing from them at all
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

stodge said:

Left wing governments put questions on the form about diversity which is a proxy for asking does the company support government policy in this regard.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    chestnut said:

stodge said:

Though the Yes vote has a rock solid base of 45%, polling analysis concludes there is voter churn, so yes, people have changed their minds.
  • Options
    @NCPoliticsUK: YouGov/Times:

CON 42 (+1)
    LAB 25 (=)
    LD 11 (=)
    UKIP 12 (-1)

27th-28th Feb
  • Options

chestnut said:

stodge said:

By that theory membership of the EU was not and could not have been a success as some people never supported it.

And, with respect, you seem to be inhabiting a PB and Islington bubble. Throughout the country Remainers have moved on - they may not have changed their minds but then people who have voted in an election rarely change their minds after their party has lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#Result_by_Constituency
    On the last point, I took the figures from Chris Hanretty, who had a higher estimate (see above). Happy to be corrected.

On your second point, policies are usually more popular after they are passed than beforehand. Brexit is a conspicuous exception.

And on your first point, it would be hard to argue that membership of the EU was a conspicuous success, in large part for precisely the reason that a large part of the country did not get behind the idea. Which augurs badly for Brexit too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,009
    Fillon pulling out would be premature, surely?

His polling isn't beyond repair. There are two to go through to the second round, and he's one of three contenders.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It is a ridiculous criterion. How do you measure it? By the number of times they have said "Hail Brexit!" in the submission? If you hire a plumber to fix your dripping tap, do you need to know how committed they are to your domestic bliss, or is it enough to know whether they can fix the tap?

Which brings me to the real alarm bells that are ringing with me on this RFP:

* Be focussed enough to stick to the task in hand and not be side-tracked in a vast and quick-moving field
    * Be committed and hard-working, to deliver under time pressures
    * Be enthused by the prospect of working in the frontline in sch an exciting and dynamic area.

Strong signals that they don't know what they want and are passing their problems and inability to make decisions onto their contractors to sort out. As someone who has experience of outsourcing from both sides can tell you, that is the fastest route to contract failure

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Corbyn & McDonnell reaching out to SWP, that will work for them.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/836869298748534784

Tory 17 point lead.

Farron also going nowhere.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

stodge said:

It's just normal levels of weirdness for Leavers. If you regard disagreeing with Brexit as equivalent to supporting Communism, it's entirely natural.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    dr_spyn said:

Corbyn & McDonnell reaching out to SWP, that will work for them.

twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/836869298748534784

Tory 17 point lead.

Farron also going nowhere.

But, but, the Dunny-on-the-Wold by elections...!
  • Options
    "People were more likely to identify themselves as Remain or Leave supporters than followers of a particular party" says the thread header.

It seems that all those opinion polls over the years on the most important issues facing Britain which had the EU way down the list was missing something fundamental.
  • Options

"People were more likely to identify themselves as Remain or Leave supporters than followers of a particular party" says the thread header.

It seems that all those opinion polls over the years on the most important issues facing Britain which had the EU way down the list was missing something fundamental.

Or that the referendum campaign was conducted in such a way as to create new fundamental divides.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

You can get an annuity for about £70 000 but yes raising National Insurance on 50 to 65s is by far the best way of paying for social care especially as everyone would have to pay it and everyone will potentially need social care whereas almost 40% now rent and do not own a property anyway so this new socialist death tax would raise next to nothing from them at all
    Raise national insurance on everyone. By starting it in the 50s and 60s you are throwing away 30 years on compounding on the investments. Also the average age of the country is 40, by starting in the 50s you are dramatically reducing the pool to collect from and so increasing the amount you need to collect. 0.5% on NI all the way up would be my starting proposal, most people wouldn't even notice it.
  • Options
    Is Mme Fillon helping Les Plodsters?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It is when you already pay inheritance tax. National Insurance should pay for social care and if it needs to be increased so be it. I will oppose this proposal vehemently if it is pushed forward as will thousands of other Tory members.
    By 2019, IHT won't kick in on family homes worth under £1m.

I expect my heirs will inherit a reasonable sum, but I've no intention of spending a miserable old age, just so they can inherit more.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

What? You can get an annuity for any sum, unless it is too small to bother with, the question is how much you get back annually.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

His polling isn't beyond repair. There are two to go through to the second round, and he's one of three contenders.

One would have thought if he was going to pull out it would have been earlier. However, if there is a realisation that the 20-21% he has been at in the polls for the past 2-3 weeks is his ceiling and that because of the scandal then he is unlikely to improve upon that, then he may have come under pressure from his Party to stand aside for a candidate who DOES have the potential to poll higher.
  • Options

Perhaps Leave/Remain is just a proxy for a bigger cultural divide.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr. G, if that happens, cui bono?

Edited extra bit: hmm. Should it be qui bono?

My Latin is not splendid.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Raise national insurance on everyone. By starting it in the 50s and 60s you are throwing away 30 years on compounding on the investments. Also the average age of the country is 40, by starting in the 50s you are dramatically reducing the pool to collect from and so increasing the amount you need to collect. 0.5% on NI all the way up would be my starting proposal, most people wouldn't even notice it.
    The trouble is there is no compound on NI contributions. As I understand it what comes in, goes out on pensions etc. There is no pot of money that is slowly growing as was originally intended.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Roger said:

The picture is irrelevant to the article, and only displays the Guardian picture editor's choice. I'm sure plenty of pictures of various public figures sneering can be found if you look hard enough, or other expressions deigned to invoke a (gnerally negative) response in the reader.
    Fwiw I have alot of reservations about Fox, and don't rate him. But this is not strictly relevant to the article.
    Roger said:

Are they ?

I hope the Guardian will go on to provide evidence for this claim.
    Roger said:

Liam Fox’s Department for International Trade (DIT) has inserted a clause into advertisements inviting tech companies to bid for work, saying that in order to have the right “cultural fit” for the task

Sounds ominous. Yellow stars, civil service lives matter ?
    Roger said:

, they must “be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union”.

Aha - now we come to the actual wording and substance of the job descriptor that one has to pass. Changing the fact of departure seems to me to be outside the scope of the job. Though there is nothing here that precludes the applicant pursuing a court case say in their own time.

However consider Sean Fear's counter example - should we wish for the applicant 'not' to be committed to the best possible outcome for the UK ?
    This is a very different question to the implied 'Do you back brexit' as given by the header.
    Roger said:

A subjective opinion, supporting facts would be germane to the argument here - the ones given above are not; a different question is being considered to the one the Guardian believes is being done so.

• Options

You make an interesting point. Funnily enough I think both are right. The EU wasn't a hugely salient issue, but since the referendum it has become the main political divide in the UK

These things happen. Think about the great schisms in the Church (Catholic/Orthodox, Catholic/Protestant) or the 17C civil wars in England and Scotland. The ostensible reasons for the splits were relatively trivial.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133

chestnut said:

On the last point, I took the figures from Chris Hanretty, who had a higher estimate (see above). Happy to be corrected.

On your second point, policies are usually more popular after they are passed than beforehand. Brexit is a conspicuous exception.

And on your first point, it would be hard to argue that membership of the EU was a conspicuous success, in large part for precisely the reason that a large part of the country did not get behind the idea. Which augurs badly for Brexit too.
    Some of Hanretty's numbers are a bit odd and as Birmingham released its ward figures there's no excuse for him being wrong.

As to policies becoming more popular after they've passed well I'd say some are and some aren't. There's been no shortage of unpopular policies and government U-Turns in the past and its the general pattern that governments do badly in the opinion polls for most of their term in office.

As to the EU, that would mean we're stuck between two alternatives both of which have a significant opposition. As over four decades of EU membership clearly didn't have most people willing to support its continuation (let alone be enamoured with it) perhaps trying life outside the EU should be given a chance. Maybe it will be better and maybe it wont but there's only one way of finding out.

Now its overdue time for me to do some work.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    OT I never watched Jackass, but this podcast with Steve-O and Joe Rogan is insanely funny.

Rogan has had some fantastic shows, the one with Alex Jones is hilarious with 3m+ views in three weeks. It's over 3hrs long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16J-lCSSMVA
  • Options

Dunno, but I just stuck £2 on Juppe as a bit of a thrill-seeker. Still green on this market. I would be tempted to top up on Fillon now he as at 6s, but really got enough invested on this one.
  • Options
  • Options
    Damn, just missed 101 on Juppe on Ladbrokes. Got 51.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

The brief also specifies Agile development be used. No doubt the 'user stories' contain things like:

"As a trade minister, I want to have access to eye-catching statistics about the benefits of Brexit, so that I can stick it to the Remoaner media."

"As a trade minister, I want to view the schedule for signing trade deals, so that I can plan Adam's travel schedule."
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/business/status/836872509278588928

Bloomberg - Mme Fillon in custody.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

By 2019, IHT won't kick in on family homes worth under £1m.

I expect my heirs will inherit a reasonable sum, but I've no intention of spending a miserable old age, just so they can inherit more.
    Even that is no longer guaranteed. IHT consistently polls as one of the most unpopular taxes and this proposal effectively would impose double inheritance tax and also breaks a Tory manifesto commitment. Tory members like me will oppose it every step of the way if Hammond even considers it and UKIP will think Christmas has come early given their opposition to the death tax
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Mr. G, if that happens, cui bono?

Edited extra bit: hmm. Should it be qui bono?

My Latin is not splendid.

cui. Dative singular.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

I could live with that but at least the 50 to 65s have largely paid off the mortgage and their children have left home
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Going by what I have learnt from Spin (les hommes de l'ombre), a TV series that I enjoyed and which I think you can still download from Walter Presents on Channel 4, Macron has just done a compromising sting on Fillon, or maybe it's the other way round.
  • Options
    As an aside, interesting how fast Ladbrokes was to react (ok, it was 101 to 51, but still very swift). There's more lag with F1, which I suppose is the upside against the longer time it takes for qualifying/race markets to get going.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Fillon moving out on BF.

Is there some one other than Juppe who could take over? I am getting worried now as green on the whole thing except for some unknown taking Fillon's post.
This discussion has been closed.