Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we seeing the Tony Blair effect on BREXIT? Those saying LE

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

isam said:

Charles said:

It looks like random variation to me. Very few are changing their minds either way, which is itself striking.

Proposals for change often become more popular once passed. This one hasn't.

I think that is because, usually, the keaders of the group that didn't get their preferred option move on or accept the result.

Here many haven't - they've fought tooth and nail to frustrate the decision of the people. In itself this has legitimized people not changing their mind
    Ah, it's Remainers' fault that Leavers have been unpersuasive. I should have guessed.
    Why do leavers have to keep persuade all over again? They won, they persuaded the majority, it is over.

The only people interested in keeping the argument alive are those who cant handle the fact they lost. Funnily enough, they are the people who had it their own way for the last generation, while dismissing the concerns of anyone not in their clique.

Remainers/Remoaners/Refusers are wearing the clothes of the people they used to mock
    I thought that Leavers wanted Britain to unite around Brexit to make a success of it. To do that they need to show Remainers that there is something to unite behind. So far, they have proven to be malignantly poor winners, reconfirming all of Remainers' suspicions about them. Yet somehow this is Remainers' fault.
    I think it's down to electoral geography. Centre-right England and Wales, based in rural areas, medium-sized towns, and smaller cities, has united very swiftly in favour of Brexit, and with nearly 60% of the vote in England and Wales, feels little need to reach out beyond.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    Small value w Skybet, Luis Suarez to be booked vs Atletico in the 3.15pm ko, 2/1
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FF43 said:

kjh said:

I can't believe I'm getting into this but 20 - 25 knts is upper end of Force 5 mainly Force 6. The waves are clearly typical of something under Force 3. Not a white horse insight. Crests begin to break at the upper end of Force 3. The Destroyer obviously has a speed producing a relative wind speed for the flag.

Good point. Flags and windsocks normally go horizontal at 20-25. Force 4 is up to 15 and that normally produces small waves.

In any case, more than enough to blow hair around unless he has glued it with a can of Harmony No.5 Extra Hold :)

Maybe he did? He wants to look good for the telly!
    Maybe he did :):)
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

It looks like random variation to me. Very few are changing their minds either way, which is itself striking.

I think that is because, usually, the keaders of the group that didn't get their preferred option move on or accept the result.

Here many haven't - they've fought tooth and nail to frustrate the decision of the people. In itself this has legitimized people not changing their mind
    Ah, it's Remainers' fault that Leavers have been unpersuasive. I should have guessed.
    Why do leavers have to keep persuade all over again? They won, they persuaded the majority, it is over.

The only people interested in keeping the argument alive are those who cant handle the fact they lost. Funnily enough, they are the people who had it their own way for the last generation, while dismissing the concerns of anyone not in their clique.

Remainers/Remoaners/Refusers are wearing the clothes of the people they used to mock
    I thought that Leavers wanted Britain to unite around Brexit to make a success of it. To do that they need to show Remainers that there is something to unite behind. So far, they have proven to be malignantly poor winners, reconfirming all of Remainers' suspicions about them. Yet somehow this is Remainers' fault.
    Hmmm can you you think of any malignant remainers.

Perhaps someone who threw a huge hissy fit when things didn't go their way?

Leave won. It is they who need to unite the country behind their vision. So far they have conspicuously failed.
    What is it you expect us to do? We're not exactly quiet about good economic news, and about potential benefits like trade deals, but just get 'Brexit hasn't happened yet' and such in return.
  • Options

"The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick."

I'd love to see the maths that makes you think that. But to do that, we'd need to identify the type of boat he's on.

The gull looks normal sized to me. They are large compared to most land birds

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Leave won. It is they who need to unite the country behind their vision. So far they have conspicuously failed.
    I see no reason why Brexit shouldn't remain as divisive for decades as joining was. However good or bad it turns out to be, we can never know the counterfactual.

My belief is that it was the wrong decision, but it needs to be followed through. We have had the flatus and we expect the turd. Some will roll the turd in glitter* and some will throw it at the fan.

*or sit on it as part of performance art:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/26/french-artist-living-inside-a-rock-surrounded-by-excrement-i-feel-completely-at-ease
  • Options
    Listening to Corbyn saying today that labour are the party of the miners, the Upper Clyde Shipworkers and the Mill workers and addressing everyone as comrades sums up just how much he and labour have become irrelevant. Sad really
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

No. I doubt that Tim Farron, for example, could have been persuaded one way or another. Both because of the nature of man he is, and because it's in his party's interest to carve out a distinct niche. It's nothing to do with the Leaver's persuasive ability.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No. I doubt that Tim Farron, for example, could have been persuaded one way or another. Both because of the nature of man he is, and because it's in his party's interest to carve out a distinct niche. It's nothing to do with the Leaver's persuasive ability.
    Do you think that accounts for all the unpersuaded 45% in this poll?

Vote Leave, evade responsibility.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Turns out it is the ITV 6 nations coverage that has the spectacularly annoying "purrrrr-joh" adverts
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I don't see why Italy can't win this....hat tip to MarqueeMark for his mention of the ridiculously short odds on England...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004

Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I see no reason why Brexit shouldn't remain as divisive for decades as joining was. However good or bad it turns out to be, we can never know the counterfactual.

My belief is that it was the wrong decision, but it needs to be followed through. We have had the flatus and we expect the turd. Some will roll the turd in glitter* and some will throw it at the fan.

*or sit on it as part of performance art:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/26/french-artist-living-inside-a-rock-surrounded-by-excrement-i-feel-completely-at-ease
    I'm here too. People have said that the matter isn't 'settled for eternity'. But I feel it is certainly settled for the next 30-40 years at least. I think we can revisit the question in say 2050.
  • Options

Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

What is the collective noun for a group of screaming Violet Elizabeth Botts?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036
    edited February 2017

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears....But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes...

I am not ignoring nor disbelieving the evidence of my own eyes.

We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event.

Yes, we do.

...acknowledging CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage...

So you state that the event is genuine but CNN faked the footage of the event.

For you, on the other hand, acknowledging that CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage would shatter your world view. So you pull together a daft 'rebuttal' to try to convince everyone (even yourself?) that it didn't happen.

Unless you are telepathic, you have no idea of my motives in rebutting you.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick.

We will have to continue to disagree about the laws of perspective.

makes it very clear this is a composite.

My initail rebuttal to Plato (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) was based on the lower-quality video (h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 ) and said that I couldn't rule out aliasing but did note the lack of spill. The higher-quality video (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ) now makes me think there isn't any aliaising either. Adding the pan visible in the higher-quality video just reinforces the point. So no, I don't think this is a composite.

[Edit: separate the h from the ttp]

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Leavers? :D

I will get my coat & hat ....

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,108

BTW, my profile piccie is of me eating breakfast on the bowsprit of the Jeanie Johnston. :)

Good for you. Was there no room down below or was the view spectacular?
    I was on watch, so I had to eat where I was.

There was actually a weird but beautiful phenomena at night: the water disturbed by the bow would glow a magnificent electric blue colour. I've never seen anything like it before, and as it turned out I'm no sailor, I doubt I will again. ;)
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Vote Remain. Scream and scream until we're sick.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,595

viewcode said:

@Luckyguy1983

I can see this is going to run and run. Firstly, I refer you to my rebuttal here (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) which was based on Plato's original posting of this: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 . However I have now been informed of a better quality version (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ), which should put things to bed about the lack of fakery.

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears. We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event. Therefore, contrary to your implication, I have no dog in this fight. I am simply sceptical enough about the honesty of large media organisations to believe that it's quite possible that CNN would attempt to manipulate a report, for whatever reason, if they thought they could get away with it.

For you, on the other hand, acknowledging that CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage would shatter your world view. So you pull together a daft 'rebuttal' to try to convince everyone (even yourself?) that it didn't happen.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick. The fact that it's as large as life in the film makes it very clear this is a composite. But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes because CNN would never lie to you.
    To say the reporter is in an elevated and distant position, you would need to know the type of boat he is on. Do you?

I'd love to see the maths that makes you think that. But to do that, we'd need to identify the type of boat he's on.
    Because the reporter is tiny and filmed from above??
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Very good news. The tide seems to be turning. Not surprising really. Those who wanted change by definition are the ones who voted 'Leave' and so far nothing has changed. What's more if nothing changes for the better-and lets be honest it's not likely too-they'll be on your tails like a pack of hyenas.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

No, but I suspect that many in politics and media have a similar mindset making it difficult to communicate. You just have to look at the querulous negativity of Faisal Islam for example. With a diet of that on the news I'm not surprised many are changing their views.

But I don't have any desire to blame in the way you seem to deal the need to do
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

The vote was 8 months ago, and we haven't triggered A50 despite told it would be done immediately

The new PM is a remainer who did nothing for 6 years about immigration

Remainers started saying the result was only "advisory"

The Supreme Court took their side

UKIPs biggest asset has fucked off to America

Remianers who insulted the leave electorate are winning by elections

What more do they want?!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kjh said:

I can't believe I'm getting into this but 20 - 25 knts is upper end of Force 5 mainly Force 6. The waves are clearly typical of something under Force 3. Not a white horse insight. Crests begin to break at the upper end of Force 3. The Destroyer obviously has a speed producing a relative wind speed for the flag.

Good point. Flags and windsocks normally go horizontal at 20-25. Force 4 is up to 15 and that normally produces small waves.

In any case, more than enough to blow hair around unless he has glued it with a can of Harmony No.5 Extra Hold :)

Maybe he did? He wants to look good for the telly!
    His hair did blow around in the original shot, linked to by JJ. The boat that he is on seems more or less stationary, as we initially see the Destroyer from the port quarter, but within the couple of minutes the reporter is more or less astern. The destroyer appears to be doing about 10 knots, so the reporters boat cannot be doing more than a couple.

On the panning shot of the destroyer passing we see what apear to be a rail of a cockpit canopy, so the photographer appears to be on a flying bridge, hence looking down on the reporter. In order to get both Destroyer and reporter in focus he needs to use wideangle, which does cause distortions of image size. This has the advantage also of reducing camera shake. The depth of focus is better but objects behind the reporter (such as the gull) will be small as a result.

Flags on the shore may well be fluttering more than on the Bosphorus, it is quite a narrow seaway.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    "Are we seeing the Tony Blair effect on BREXIT? Those saying LEAVE vote “wrong” now same as those saying “right”"

Seems highly unlikely at this stage. Leaving aside the fact that Blair is a woefully inappropriate, very unpopular and mistrusted messenger for the Continuity Remain campaign, I think we'd need to see a rather more radical shift in the numbers to be convincing than that in the latest YouGov, which could easily be the product of noise.

Meanwhile, in other news from the same poll:

Voting intention for pensioners:

Con 61%, Ukip 16%, Lab 12%
    Best PM: May 75%, Corbyn 4% (DK 21%)

The Tories are above 50% with all voters over 50 - i.e. very nearly half of the entire electorate, and the half more likely to vote at that - and also consistently score around 50% for the whole of southern England outside London, which returns about 200 MPs. This is a level of dominance equal to or greater than that of the SNP in Scotland over about 30% of the UK geographically, and about 50% of the electorate demographically.

Labour, meanwhile, is only ahead with the 18-24 age group: the smallest cohort and the one least likely to vote. And there is no reason to suppose that their actual position in the country mightn't be even worse than indicated by the polls. In terms of actual votes cast, the Tories have outperformed the pre-election polls, IIRC, at every GE of modern times except for 1983.
    The Conservatives outperformed their current polling position in both Copeland and Stoke Central. Also, ex-Copeland MP Jamie Reed has recently stated that he believes Labour's actual voting intention share to be in the low 20s.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I think it's down to electoral geography. Centre-right England and Wales, based in rural areas, medium-sized towns, and smaller cities, has united very swiftly in favour of Brexit, and with nearly 60% of the vote in England and Wales, feels little need to reach out beyond.
    Whether they feel the need to reach out or not is rather moot when some Remainers are so open about how much they hate Leavers.

The likes of Matthew Parris and Gina Miller have done Leavers a great favour by revealing their own bigotry.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears....But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes...

I am not ignoring nor disbelieving the evidence of my own eyes.

We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event.

Yes, we do.

...acknowledging CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage...

So you state that the event is genuine but CNN faked the footage of the event.

Unless you are telepathic, you have no idea of my motives in rebutting you.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick.

We will have to continue to disagree about the laws of perspective.

makes it very clear this is a composite.

My initail rebuttal to Plato (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) was based on the lower-quality video (h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 ) and said that I couldn't rule out aliasing but did note the lack of spill. The higher-quality video (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ) now makes me think there isn't any aliaising either. Adding the pan visible in the higher-quality video just reinforces the point. So no, I don't think this is a composite.

[Edit: separate the h from the ttp]

You shouldn't be taking this seriously. There isn't any doubt that the footage is genuine. If anyone is interested in the technicalities of why it is I can give it to them.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    Essexit said:

What is it you expect us to do? We're not exactly quiet about good economic news, and about potential benefits like trade deals, but just get 'Brexit hasn't happened yet' and such in return.

Personally I find "Suck it up, losers, it's over" to be - genuinely - one of the more persuasive Leave arguments. The British public had its say and decided narrowly but entirely legitimately to leave the EU.

The only issue for me, and maybe this is irrelevant anyway, is that having worked out Brexit is going to be a big mistake, I am not seeing any reason to adjust my assessment now.

Incidentally the trade deal thing is a negative, not a positive, for Brexit. We will lose our current third party trade deals and won't make up their collective loss with anything equivalent in the short to medium term, and probably not in the long term either.
  • Options

BTW, my profile piccie is of me eating breakfast on the bowsprit of the Jeanie Johnston. :)

There was actually a weird but beautiful phenomena at night: the water disturbed by the bow would glow a magnificent electric blue colour. I've never seen anything like it before, and as it turned out I'm no sailor, I doubt I will again. ;)
    It could have been wake phosphorescence. I find the sea can be full of magic. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEwTOzvnIk
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited February 2017
    Corbyn fouls up in front of SLAB. Well done our SNPs. He has a gift, a unique gift.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/835857103138992128
  • Options

It could have been wake phosphorescence. I find the sea can be full of magic. :)

(Snip)
    Yep, that looks like it, at least from my memory. Except it was on the water breaking at the bow. A heavenly effect.

Less heavenly was the line of yellow puddles along the bulwarks the morning after a heavy storm. :(
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    Charles said:

Leavers would have continued to fight tooth and nail against the EU if they had lost? Would UKIP, the Tory right or the Mail and Express have have accepted the "will of the people" if we had voted 52-48 to Remain? Fat chance, the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

We have taken a momentous decision, we are bitterly divided and in my experience views are becoming more entrenched. There is no sign of the nation uniting behind Brexit and we haven't even pressed the start button yet.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Corbyn fouls up in front of SLAB. Well done our SNPs. He has a gift, a unique gift.

Are you suggesting someone should follow him with a pooper scooper?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    FF43 said:

Essexit said:

Personally I find "Suck it up, losers, it's over" to be - genuinely - one of the more persuasive Leave arguments. The British public had its say and decided narrowly but entirely legitimately to leave the EU.

The only issue for me, and maybe this is irrelevant anyway, is that having worked out Brexit is going to be a big mistake, I am not seeing any reason to adjust my assessment now.

Incidentally the trade deal thing is a negative, not a positive, for Brexit. We will lose our current third party trade deals and won't make up their collective loss with anything equivalent in the short to medium term, and probably not in the long term either.
    The economic effects at the moment are anticipatory market moves, so as often with markets, not really evidence of anything substantive, and mostly secondary to the devaluation. We will have to see what happens next, but while there is a lot of inertia in trade. No division of a trading block ever results in more trade between the breaking parties. I expect the decline in trade with the EU will become more apparent in time, but generally things are never either as good or as bad as they seem. There is always overreaction.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

The spurs absolutely smashing stoke...How the f##k did they lose to Genk in the week?

Almost all football outside Britain relies on technique rather than being able to run quickly and be more physical than the opponents.

Non British Refereeing emphasises the technical over the physical.

If the British game ever wants to compete internationally, it has to adopt global refereeing standards and consequently move the game away from lots of 6'2" blokes who can run forever, but can't pass a ball.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Whether they feel the need to reach out or not is rather moot when some Remainers are so open about how much they hate Leavers.

The likes of Matthew Parris and Gina Miller have done Leavers a great favour by revealing their own bigotry.
    The Tories (all but a dozen or so) have adopted Brexit with enthusiasm, including many who voted Remain. Many Tory remainers intensely disliked the EU, but were worried about the consequences of a Leave vote. Many are now pretty relaxed about the outcome. Then there are the UKIP voters who are happy with the outcome. The groups who are most angry about Brexit (students, Scottish and Irish nationalists, university workers, people working in the arts, voters in Inner London, left wing celebrities) are groups that centre-right voters are not greatly sympathetic too.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    FF43 said:

Essexit said:

I agree. The fact is that leave won, and no amount of arguing is going to alter that.

That some leavers are still fighting the battle long after they have gained the field is interesting. I wonder how many of them would have been much more comfortable with a narrow remain victory so they could have carried on in their comfort zone of complaining without having to take any responsibility?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Corbyn: The policies and ideas we are setting out are policies whose time has come.

Then why do people not support that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,130
    GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Not what Nigel said in 1975. Or 1993. Or...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKO_JRbcC04
    Sorry I can't be bothered to watch embedded videos which the poster thinks makes a droll point.

You'll have to actually reply to me.
    Watch it anyway - You can't beat a bit of Roy!
    Exactly Gin,. most enjoyable. Topping is just being a curmudgeon
  • Options
    Roger said:

You shouldn't be taking this seriously. There isn't any doubt that the footage is genuine. If anyone is interested in the technicalities of why it is I can give it to them.

I am genuinely interested in the technicalities, so if you have a few moments. It's probably best if you do that by messaging me. To do that, go to my profile and press the message button
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Charles said:

Leavers would have continued to fight tooth and nail against the EU if they had lost? Would UKIP, the Tory right or the Mail and Express have have accepted the "will of the people" if we had voted 52-48 to Remain? Fat chance, the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

We have taken a momentous decision, we are bitterly divided and in my experience views are becoming more entrenched. There is no sign of the nation uniting behind Brexit and we haven't even pressed the start button yet.
    There is a difference between trying to overturn the result through process tricks and continuing to campaign for what you believe in.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@Luckyguy1983

I can see this is going to run and run. Firstly, I refer you to my rebuttal here (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) which was based on Plato's original posting of this: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 . However I have now been informed of a better quality version (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ), which should put things to bed about the lack of fakery.

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears. We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event. Therefore, contrary to your implication, I have no dog in this fight. I am simply sceptical enough about the honesty of large media organisations to believe that it's quite possible that CNN would attempt to manipulate a report, for whatever reason, if they thought they could get away with it.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick. The fact that it's as large as life in the film makes it very clear this is a composite. But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes because CNN would never lie to you.
    To say the reporter is in an elevated and distant position, you would need to know the type of boat he is on. Do you?

Because the reporter is tiny and filmed from above??
    I fear that's just an effect of the lenses and focus used, rather than real distance.

I think the low quality of the video stream is confusing you. The artefacting makes it look slightly unreal (especially the waves), and that's making you think the whole thing's unreal.
  • Options

Yep, that looks like it, at least from my memory. Except it was on the water breaking at the bow. A heavenly effect.

It is caused by bioluminescent plankton being disturbed by the boat's passage. It can be spectacular at the stern with the prop agitating everything

Less heavenly was the line of yellow puddles along the bulwarks the morning after a heavy storm. :(

There must have been landlubbers aboard :)

It is a nice boat, but square-riggers do not go to weather like a fore-and-aft. Give me a Bermuda rig any day....

• Options

Yes, gloat and taunt are not the the best two materials with which to build bridges but they seem to be only two materials that the Leavers are using right now.

Also I think some on here are a bit confused about what this poll is saying. Thinking that the UK was wrong to vote to leave the EU is not the same thing as not accepting the result. The 45% who don't like the decision are not all trying to overturn it. I think that believing a decision is wrong but also accepting it as the will of the majority is a perfectly legitimate position held by most of us who voted Remain. But, frankly, not many of us at all who voted on the Remain side are likely to suddenly fall in love with the idea of leaving the EU just because it's happening.

The common ground between all Leavers and the vast majority of Remainers is acceptance of the decision. To expect more common ground than that so early into the process is not realistic.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I thought that Leavers wanted Britain to unite around Brexit to make a success of it. To do that they need to show Remainers...

The Tories (all but a dozen or so) have adopted Brexit with enthusiasm, including many who voted Remain. Many Tory remainers intensely disliked the EU, but were worried about the consequences of a Leave vote. Many are now pretty relaxed about the outcome. Then there are the UKIP voters who are happy with the outcome. The groups who are most angry about Brexit (students, Scottish and Irish nationalists, university workers, people working in the arts, voters in Inner London, left wing celebrities) are groups that centre-right voters are not greatly sympathetic too.
    Bang on. There is little in a Tory government that would ever please these groups. Even when democratic choice is against them, the whiners keep on whining...
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEwTOzvnIk
    After a raucous party on Great Keppell Island, off the Queensland coast, some friends and I were skinny dipping* in the warm Tasman sea. As we swam under the warm Southern stars the sea lit up around us, leaving trails yards behind us. It was magical.

*I was a lot younger and quite drunk. Skinny dipping in that state was really stupid.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Roger said:

I am genuinely interested in the technicalities, so if you have a few moments. It's probably best if you do that by messaging me. To do that, go to my profile and press the message button
    So am I, if only to check if my assumptions about what's happening are valid.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you suggesting someone should follow him with a pooper scooper?
    Yes, a large, yellow one with wheels, grab, marked JCB.
  • Options
    England players literally asking the rules of Rugby...
  • Options

After a raucous party on Great Keppell Island, off the Queensland coast, some friends and I were skinny dipping* in the warm Tasman sea. As we swam under the warm Southern stars the sea lit up around us, leaving trails yards behind us. It was magical.

*I was a lot younger and quite drunk. Skinny dipping in that state was really stupid.

You got away with it :)

It sounds like fun though...

• Options
    edited February 2017

FF43 said:

Essexit said:

The economic effects at the moment are anticipatory market moves, so as often with markets, not really evidence of anything substantive, and mostly secondary to the devaluation. We will have to see what happens next, but while there is a lot of inertia in trade no division of a trading block ever results in more trade between the breaking parties. I expect the decline in trade with the EU will become more apparent in time, but generally things are never either as good or as bad as they seem. There is always overreaction.

I agree with this. The immediate armageddon predictions were overblown, but I think the current insouciance is an overcorrection to the overreaction. Brexit will have an economic effect that will kick in over the next couple of years. There are too many businesses delaying or diverting investment for that not to happen. I don't think Brexit will be a disaster. In some ways it would be better if it were a clear disaster in the making. In that case I am sure we would revisit the decision regardless of the vote.

What I expect Brexit to be is a massive decade or more long political and economic distraction that won't solve a single real problem that we have. It will make several other real problems we do have, worse and more difficult to solve. In medical terms Brexit is a chronic condition like diabetes rather than an acute condition like a heart attack. The thing about chronic conditions is that you can live with them, although you shouldn't really want to.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Essexit said:

isam said:
    They should let him go. More trouble than his millions are worth.
    His money and plan was key to Brexit vote
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,130

Listening to Corbyn saying today that labour are the party of the miners, the Upper Clyde Shipworkers and the Mill workers and addressing everyone as comrades sums up just how much he and labour have become irrelevant. Sad really

Exactly there are none of them left, he is living in the past.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Aston Martin:

The firm, which builds all of its cars in Britain and mostly for export, said the roughly 15 percent fall in the pound against the euro and the dollar since Brexit had overall been "overwhelmingly positive" for the company.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-astonmartin-results-idUKKBN1631VP
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pretty much within the margin of error surely? AKA much ado about nothing.

But, but what are the Lib Dems for if not to save us from ourselves
    This must be at least the fifth or sixth such thread from OGM in a similar vein. He seems determined to be able to demonstrate that Leavers should admit they made a terrible mistake last June, so far without much discernible success.
  • Options
    England trying to find new ways of handing the lead over to Italy. Good try.
  • Options
    I think residents of copeland will be able to hear Eddie Jones half time screamathon after that first half from england!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Charles said:

The dozen do not seem to have much fight in them.Unlike when Major had his Maastricht Rebels.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    dr_spyn said:

England trying to find new ways of handing the lead over to Italy. Good try.

I honestly thought England would win this by 50. The Calcutta Cup does not look such a remote prospect now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    Posh lads losing at half time.

You'd never catch an England rugby league side losing to Italy.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

What I expect Brexit to be is a massive decade or more long political and economic distraction that won't solve a single real problem that we have. It will make several other real problems we do have, worse and more difficult to solve. In medical terms Brexit is a chronic condition like diabetes rather than an acute condition like a heart attack. The thing about chronic conditions is that you can live with them, although you shouldn't really want to.

+1 as they say ...
  • Options
    Are the Labour shadow cabinet playing as the england rugby team today for a bet?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

Worst England performance in several years. They're not a third of the team they were last season.

Italy deservedly ahead. Could easily win. Should win, maybe.

Pfff!

England still missing a number of important players. Big billy is absolutely key for england.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    malcolmg said:

That kind of talk was outdated in the 70's, there is a very good Steptoe and Son ep where Harold fails to be a local candidate for that reason.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Worst England performance in several years. They're not a third of the team they were last season.

Italy deservedly ahead. Could easily win. Should win, maybe.

Pfff!

Italy aren't the team you automatically beat, as they used to be. Good for them and for the 6 Nations!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    malcolmg said:

What options did he have? 'We are the party of the latte sippers, hand wringers and virtue signallers'?

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

What options did he have? 'We are the party of the latte sippers, hand wringers and virtue signallers'?

The contractors, self-employed, and minimum wage earners. i.e. The people a modern Labour Party ought to be looking out for.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I think we need an independent judge led inquiry into the quality of education at these second rate private schools, like millfield and Wellington, that have produced all these england forwards who don't know the rules of the game they play for a living.
  • Options
    Bill Paxton has died.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    As with Scotland, it seems the happy medium has been found

We are leaving the EU, and leavers have handed the control of our departure to Remainers

Scotland is staying in the UK, and we have let Leavers look after things up there

The extremes on both sides are moaning, but most people are ok with it
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

That kind of talk was outdated in the 70's, there is a very good Steptoe and Son ep where Harold fails to be a local candidate for that reason.
    Nah! All the industry will return post Brexit, surely?

Leavers are not at all like cargo cultists. Not at all.
  • Options
    This has to be the worst performance against a side from Rome since The Battle of Zama.
  • Options
    On more important matters, does anyone think Saints worth a punt for the Cup?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Roger said:

Very good news. The tide seems to be turning. Not surprising really. Those who wanted change by definition are the ones who voted 'Leave' and so far nothing has changed. What's more if nothing changes for the better-and lets be honest it's not likely too-they'll be on your tails like a pack of hyenas.

The sh*t is slowly beginning to hit the fan. Brexit (if it happens) will be painful and tortuous and all for what? To essentially limit the number of foreigners and darkies coming in? Massive price to pay to the darkies out I say.
  • Options
    Cunning move from England for once.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    murali_s said:

Roger said:

The sh*t is slowly beginning to hit the fan. Brexit (if it happens) will be painful and tortuous and all for what? To essentially limit the number of foreigners and darkies coming in? Massive price to pay to the darkies out I say.
    Are you stupid or just trying to smear people?

• Options
    murali_s said:

Roger said:

As non EU immigrants will predominate in the future, I anticipate that post Brexit Britain will be browner than otherwise. Those future old peoples homes will be staffed by Filipinos, South Africans and Indians rather than Poles and Portuguese.
  • Options
    Just back from a walk with the dog.

Spotted near Colchester hospital a very dirty white van with the following comment smeared in the grime......

Cleaned by the NHS

Made me laugh anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

murali_s said:

Roger said:

As non EU immigrants will predominate in the future, I anticipate that post Brexit Britain will be browner than otherwise. Those future old peoples homes will be staffed by Filipinos, South Africans and Indians rather than Poles and Portuguese.
    Yuk! Can we reverse Brexit please?

Or was that post an oh so clever ruse to smoke out some racist Brexiteers, horrified by the thought of.... fergals!

Move over Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSuMSu20avs

• Options

Nah! All the industry will return post Brexit, surely?

Leavers are not at all like cargo cultists. Not at all.

:):):)

And on that note.... I think I will get a late Sunday dinner underway.
  • Options
    SeanT the Roger of sports predictions...
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Bill Paxton has died.

Bill Paxton being killed by Agent Coulson
    Bill Paxton being killed by a Terminator
    Bill Paxton being killed by a Predator
    Bill Paxton being killed by a Alien
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Roger said:

An ugly comment that says more about you than others.
  • Options

Floater said:

Pretty much within the margin of error surely? AKA much ado about nothing.

But, but what are the Lib Dems for if not to save us from ourselves
    This must be at least the fifth or sixth such thread from OGM in a similar vein. He seems determined to be able to demonstrate that Leavers should admit they made a terrible mistake last June, so far without much discernible success.
    Exactly
  • Options

SeanT the Roger of sports predictions...

Seandamus....
  • Options
    @murali_s - how is that Labour ground game going?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

murali_s said:

Roger said:

An ugly comment that says more about you than others.
    Where were you during the campaign? Under a rock? The leave campaign was the very definition of ugly!!!
  • Options
    isam said:

We are leaving the EU, and leavers have handed the control of our departure to Remainers

Scotland is staying in the UK, and we have let Leavers look after things up there

Unfortunately I don't think this is the case. Regardless of whether you think leaving the EU is a good thing, we need to make the best of it if we are going ahead. Neither Leavers nor Remainers are engaging on the practical issues. Leavers because they can't; Remainers because they don't want to.

The biggest lie of the Leave campaign wasn't the £350 million for the NHS; it was the implied promise that leaving the EU was free of consequences - we will be more disconnected; there will be more demand for patronage at the point when the taxbase shrinks; there will be fewer trading prospects; it will stress the United Kingdom constitutionally - and so on. Having denied there were any real consequences to the decision to leave, and continuing to do so, they aren't in a position to deal with those consequences.

Remainers on the other hand don't see any reason to involve themselves in a project that they that is misbegotten and that they never agreed with. Why should they work their socks off to mitigate the damage so that we end up in a position that is better than it might be but worse than it was before? Especially if they think they are going to be blamed by Leavers for sabotaging the project where it does fall short.

It's not a good position to be in, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Could the tories really be that lucky?

Are Labour that stupiid?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    Inspired second half as England take the lead from Italy 17-10. - All due to SeanT’s pep talk...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Could the tories really be that lucky?

Are Labour that stupiid?
    Camo's genie appears to be working wonders for Mrs May too..
  • Options

Bill Paxton has died.

Game over man. Game over.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Mortimer said:

Leavers? :D

I will get my coat & hat ....

....and move to Ireland.
    Byeeeeee. Don't hurry back.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I have to say the quirk in the off side rule in rugby is bloody stupid, given the way rugby has been shifted to make it more attractive over the past few years....But credit to Italy for exploiting it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

isam said:

Unfortunately I don't think this is the case. Regardless of whether you think leaving the EU is a good thing, we need to make the best of it if we are going ahead. Neither Leavers nor Remainers are engaging on the practical issues. Leavers because they can't; Remainers because they don't want to.

The biggest lie of the Leave campaign wasn't the £350 million for the NHS; it was the implied promise that leaving the EU was free of consequences - we will be more disconnected; there will be more demand for patronage at the point when the taxbase shrinks; there will be fewer trading prospects; it will stress the United Kingdom constitutionally - and so on. Having denied there were any real consequences to the decision to leave, and continuing to do so, they aren't in a position to deal with those consequences.

Remainers on the other hand don't see any reason to involve themselves in a project that they that is misbegotten and that they never agreed with. Why should they work their socks off to mitigate the damage so that we end up in a position that is better than it might be but worse than it was before? Especially if they think they are going to be blamed by Leavers for sabotaging the project where it does fall short.

That perhaps describes those who pontificate on here about it, but the person who has ultimate responsibility for it is our PM, and we haven't had one that was a leaver since 1991!

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Yes, gloat and taunt are not the the best two materials with which to build bridges but they seem to be only two materials that the Leavers are using right now.

Also I think some on here are a bit confused about what this poll is saying. Thinking that the UK was wrong to vote to leave the EU is not the same thing as not accepting the result. The 45% who don't like the decision are not all trying to overturn it. I think that believing a decision is wrong but also accepting it as the will of the majority is a perfectly legitimate position held by most of us who voted Remain. But, frankly, not many of us at all who voted on the Remain side are likely to suddenly fall in love with the idea of leaving the EU just because it's happening.

The common ground between all Leavers and the vast majority of Remainers is acceptance of the decision. To expect more common ground than that so early into the process is not realistic.

Very well put - My position as a Remain voter. Sadly you only have to read a sentence of Meeks on Brexit and it reveals all the arrogance of the entitled 'chattering classes' - announcing that leavers must do the persuading, cajoling to convince him.

Clearly nothing anyone could say would achieve that and given his attitude why on earth would anyone bother to try.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,154
    isam said:

FF43 said:

isam said:

That perhaps describes those who pontificate on here about it, but the person who has ultimate responsibility for it is our PM, and we haven't had one that was a leaver since 1991!
    I don't think we've had a Leaver in Downing Street since 1957.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

We will govern ourselves, all our laws will be made by our politicians, we will able to dismiss those who rule us. This will have incalculable effects, it is a form of revolution. It is inherently dynamic and unpredictable.

All you focus on is some negative economic consequences which you cannot possibly know for sure, and which are irrelevant to the bigger picture as we approach a new technological revolution.

All you idiot PB Remainers are like some idiots lamenting the future price of sourdough bread as a result of 100 years of climate change.

Incalculable versus unknowable, eh? The stuff I am talking about is more or less knowable, or at least predictable, and not just economic. Whatever. It's going ahead and we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    That's a great try by Italy.
This discussion has been closed.