Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » During February the Tories have defended NINE local by-electio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » During February the Tories have defended NINE local by-elections – they only managed to retain TWO

Liberal Democrats 7,162 votes (28% +18% on last time) winning 7 seats (+4 seats on last time) Labour 6,305 votes (24% -5% on last time) winning 5 seats (+1 seat on last time) Conservatives 6,255 votes (24% -5% on last time) winning 2 seats (-7 seats on last time) United Kingdom Independence Party 2,468 votes (9% -6% on last time) winning 1 seat (-1 seat on last time) Other Parties 2,337 votes (9% +3% on last time) winning 2 seats (+3 seats on last time) Green Party 959 votes (4% -2% on last time) winning 1 seat (+1 seat on last time) Independents 493 votes (2% -4% on last time) winning 0 seats (-1 seat on last time) Liberal Democrat lead of 857 (4%) on a swing from Lab to Lib Dem of 11.5% (No swing from Con to Lab)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,538
    edited February 2017
    Is is true more people voted in Copeland than in those nine defences?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Given public's disdain for Tim Who is he Farron, the LDs appear to be picking up votes in local elections.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    SeanT said:

Who gives a nanofuck

That how you fit so many in ?
    :-)
  • Options
    Good time to make up for a lost night's sleep
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    You missed an "innocent face", OGH :smiley:
  • Options
    FPT:
    surbiton said:

nielh said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

I see our very own @seanT 'Ice Twins' is being given away free with tomorrow's Guardian at Tesco Express stores.

If only Guardian readers could see some of his posts on here :-)

Shhhh!!!
    Quite some kudos in that, to have one's work offered as an incentive to buy the Guardian.

Good evening, everyone. Left-leaning I may be, but I admit to real pleasure in hearing that the Conservatives gained Copeland. All things considered, I feel they deserve it. What's more, I hope that such an historic win will motivate those in government to see to it that Copeland's voters have no cause to regret their choice.
    What will be interesting to see is how long May's new direction for the conservative party lasts. My gut instinct is that it is simply a temporary thing to get Brexit through, and to see off the UKIP challenge. But only time will tell.
    I think that what you see in May today is what you will get throughout her Premiership as she takes over the centre ground of politics
    May is not centre grounded. She is a right winger through and through. That is how she has kept UKIP in check.
    And this attitude, ladies and gentlemen, is why Labour are going backwards...
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2017
    Off Topic
    ***** BETTING POST *****

Francois Fillon looks like dead meat politically on the back of this latest news story from The Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/24/marine-le-pen-refuses-quizzed-french-investigators-fake-jobs/

Time perhaps to pile onto Emmanuel Macron, where those nice folk at Marathon have stand-out odds of 3.0, compared with the likes of PP who offer only 2.375 ..... these odds can't last.

As ever DYOR.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    The chap handing out the flags is Ryan Clayton, he’s head of ‘Americans Take Action’, a left-wing activist group. When discovered, Clayton was thrown out of the CPAC meeting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Trump has banned the BBC from briefings.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Mr Hayfield.

So does this mean?;
    - Locals are meaningless
    - The LDs are a trusted force of the mundane
    - Everyone wants Blair back, even Broon
    - Something else

What it clearly doesn't mean is that the LDs are on some sort of triumphant rampage - we saw that last night. Could you cast any light on the interpretation?

• Options
    One parliamentary by election gain >> a handful of council by election losses...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Who gives a nanofuck

The Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    no cares about local by elections where there is more tumbleweed then people.

The copeland by election shows tories being underestimated again.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Perhaps people feel secure voting LibDem or Labour in councils when the councils can be overruled by the central state?

The Atlantic article I linked to at the tail end of the last thread talks about this in the USA.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2432

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/02/23/president-trump-media-quinnipiac-poll/98283962/

Very interesting. You have to wonder how Trump will be remembered as a President if the majority of Americans continue to see his agenda in this way.

This survey is even more interesting as it breaks things down along class, gender and racial lines: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/data-points/poll-more-half-disapprove-donald-trump-s-job-performance-n724856

Have you seen this article?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/03/red-state-blue-city/513857/

It was very noticeable on US election night that the reporting district maps colored rural and small town areas red, and the cities blue, even in "Red states" Indiana and Kentucky for example, but also Florida and Georgia. This divide has always been there, but is now even more extreme. 88/100 of Americas biggest metropolitan areas voted Hillary.

Same here of course, except with US colours reversed. Even on a microscale: in Copeland Whitehaven was red and the countryside blue.

One silver lining of the Tories taking some urban seats is that they might have to start taking urban issues more seriously. Indeed I muse that if Leicester's 3 urban (Labour) seats and Leics 7 (Tory) rural and suburban seats were pie segment shaped rather than a Labour yolk surrounded by Tory eggwhite, then both parties would start to pay attention to each others core concerns. Better still have the whole lot as 2 five member STV constituencies.

• Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Off Topic
    ***** BETTING POST *****

Francois Fillon looks like dead meat politically on the back of this latest news story from The Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/24/marine-le-pen-refuses-quizzed-french-investigators-fake-jobs/

Time perhaps to pile onto Emmanuel Macron, where those nice folk at Marathon have stand-out odds of 3.0, compared with the likes of PP who offer only 2.375 ..... these odds can't last.

As ever DYOR.

Yes, does not look good for him, particularly as he slipped another point behind Macron in ifop's latest daily rolling poll this afternoon. Now 3 points behind Macron and this news will not help.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Who gives a nanofuck

The Liberal Democrats.
    No sign of MarkSenior? *innocent face*
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The chap handing out the flags is Ryan Clayton, he’s head of ‘Americans Take Action’, a left-wing activist group. When discovered, Clayton was thrown out of the CPAC meeting.
    Great bit of trolling!
  • Options
    Dunny on the Wold time again.

Is anyone expecting an 18% increase in the LibDem vote share in the May local elections ?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    dr_spyn said:

Given public's disdain for Tim Who is he Farron, the LDs appear to be picking up votes in local elections.

1. Mostly very low turnout, put out the bins elections that most voters don't care about
    2. Lib Dems love winning and are good at targetting favourable wards, bringing in activists and turning their vote out
    3. Lib Dem successes in tiny local by-elections offer no useful indicator of what will happen in Parliamentary elections, which is what Tory supporters are really interested in
    4. Current VI poling numbers point to Conservative landslide, LDs may make ten gains if they do really well
  • Options

Is anyone expecting an 18% increase in the LibDem vote share in the May local elections ?

Tories on 20%, according to the local by elections :smiley:
  • Options
    Expect a new bout of backing David Miliband for next Labour leader:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/835242015906484224

I'm sure I'm not the only pber who stands ready nobly to lay those bets on Betfair.
  • Options
    BudG said:

Off Topic
    ***** BETTING POST *****

As ever DYOR.

Yes, does not look good for him, particularly as he slipped another point behind Macron in ifop's latest daily rolling poll this afternoon. Now 3 points behind Macron and this news will not help.
    Will Fillon withdraw? It must be a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    Paging @alastairmeeks @pulpstar @tissue_price and everyone else with a big red on David Miliband as next Labour leader

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/835243383950045188
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tories on 20%, according to the local by elections :smiley:
    Tories on 40+%, according to the opinion polls and parliamentary be-elections.

Now which to believe ...
  • Options

I'm sure I'm not the only pber who stands ready nobly to lay those bets on Betfair.

Any idea which Milband? :lol:
  • Options

I suspect we all have DMill as a horrible result for next Labour leader. I am entirely baffled that anyone wants to back him.
  • Options

You tried the ruthless one now we offer you the gutless one.
    You tried the dweeby one now we offer you the nerdy one.
    You tried the Dartmouth Park one now we offer you the Greenwich Village one.
    You tried the crap one now we offer you the useless one.
    You tried the privileged one now we offer you the posh one.
  • Options
    I wonder if David Miliband fancies being the Labour MP for Liverpool Walton.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I suspect we all have DMill as a horrible result for next Labour leader. I am entirely baffled that anyone wants to back him.
    First* he has to get into Parliament. Anyone fancy Labour at a by-election in the near future?

*Actually first he has to want to return. Then he has to be selected as a candidate for a seat.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

BudG said:

Off Topic
    ***** BETTING POST *****

As ever DYOR.

Well he initially said he would if indicted. Then he went back on that promise a week ago. I don't think he will withdraw unless there is pressure from his Party to do so. If he continues to slip further behind Macron, that may happen. But in a poll 65% have said he SHOULD withdraw. If you alienate 65% of the voters by clinging on, it does not give him a huge pool from which to gain the further support he needs to get into the second round.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

He just needs to persuade a Labour MP to step aside, create a walkover byelection and to be parachuted in by Corbyn.

Nope. Can't see a flaw in that plan. Anyone know if Bootle could come free?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Miliband is too kind, Labour is in the same mess it found itself under leadership of George Lansbury, but this time there doesn't appear to be an Attlee in the wings backed by the unions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

BudG said:

Off Topic
    ***** BETTING POST *****

As ever DYOR.

LRs apparently have a right-wing Senator lined up to replace Fillon if he withdraws but as long as he stays around 20 to 21% he still has a chance of making the runoff so that is unlikely
  • Options

Can anyone read that Times article ?

50 years ago Labour were in government with a landslide majority.

And on 09/03/67 they were able to hold Nuneaton in a by-election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuneaton_by-election,_1967
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Miliband is too kind, Labour is in the same mess it found itself under leadership of George Lansbury.

3 years later it was in government, and 10 years later single party government.
  • Options

Omnium said:

First* he has to get into Parliament. Anyone fancy Labour at a by-election in the near future?

*Actually first he has to want to return. Then he has to be selected as a candidate for a seat.
    Yes - 'I am entirely baffled'

He has to want to get back in.
    He has to find a seat.
    He has to get selected for the seat.
    He has to win the seat.
    He has to gain the confidence of his fellow MPs.
    He has to get sufficient nominations to be on the leadership ballot.
    He has to get elected as Labour leader.

Mind you Farage is trading at similar levels to be next PM.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Miliband is too kind, Labour is in the same mess it found itself under leadership of George Lansbury.

Labour benefited from The War. Attlee struggled against Chamberlain.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2017

He just needs to persuade a Labour MP to step aside, create a walkover byelection and to be parachuted in by Corbyn.

Should DM decide to return to the British political scene, then Huddersfield is the ultra safe seat being kept warm for him.
  • Options
    This obsession with Dunny on the wold seems a tad redundant after last night!
  • Options

Does David Miliband really want to leave a $400 000 salary and life in Manhattan to be a backbench Labour MP for Liverpool Walton, assuming of course he gets past Momentum for the selection which is a big if?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Does David Miliband really want to leave a $400 000 salary and life in Manhattan to be a backbench Labour MP for Liverpool Walton, assuming of course he gets past Momentum for the selection which is a big if?
    You might just have a point there HYUFD!
  • Options
    #Corbynmustgo is no 1 trend on Twitter. The cult members aren't happy.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Both by elections confirmed my view that Brexit is not the dominant issue in the minds of voters when they cast their votes. Copeland was clearly about Nuclear Power - the NHS - and Corbyn with very little evidence of Brexit as a major issue per se. The failure of UKIP to break through at Stoke added very much to that impression. Some signs last night from Faisal Islam on the Sky election programme that - at last - that penny is beginning to drop.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    what do the Westminster by lections tell us about the shares of the vote according to current polls. I'd hazard that Labour are overstated and should be about 20-22% but is that right?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    HYUFD said:

How about Islington North?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Both by elections confirmed my view that Brexit is not the dominant issue in the minds of voters when they cast their votes. Copeland was clearly about Nuclear Power - the NHS - and Corbyn with very little evidence of Brexit as a major issue per se. The failure of UKIP to break through at Stoke added very much to that impression. Some signs last night from Faisal Islam on the Sky election programme that - at last - that penny is beginning to drop.

Countered by the Richmond Park by election, where the candidates were unanimous on the Heathrow issue. Perhaps your view is correct when there are significant local issues to care about.
  • Options
    Can I just say Cat Smith is awesome.

She's given me the best laugh of 2017.
  • Options

Should DM decide to return to the British political scene, then Huddersfield is the ultra safe seat being kept warm for him.
    After Copeland, Huddersfield is not ultra safe.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

Labour benefited from The War. Attlee struggled against Chamberlain.
    A year is an eon in politics. A year ago the Euref was being called and Trump was a small amusement before a serious candidate was chosen. Who knows what happens this time next year. Brexit talks could have collapsed, with the clock ticking for car crash Brexit into a Trumpian tradewar*.

*or real one. North Korea has launched missiles, and demonstrated its ownership of nerve gas. China has just banned imports of NK Coal, its principle source of forex. real war is quite possible.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/02/19/asia/china-coal-north-korea-ban/index.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,041

dr_spyn said:

1. Mostly very low turnout, put out the bins elections that most voters don't care about
    2. Lib Dems love winning and are good at targetting favourable wards, bringing in activists and turning their vote out
    3. Lib Dem successes in tiny local by-elections offer no useful indicator of what will happen in Parliamentary elections, which is what Tory supporters are really interested in
    4. Current VI poling numbers point to Conservative landslide, LDs may make ten gains if they do really well
    Some of those local by elections has higher turnouts than Stoke!
  • Options

There were a total of 25,279 local by-election votes cast in February compared to 31,068 votes in Copeland.

• Options
    justin124 said:

A50 tasers UKIP.

If Brexit isn't completed satisfactorily UKIP will rise again.

• Options

Can anyone read that Times article ?

50 years ago Labour were in government with a landslide majority.

And on 09/03/67 they were able to hold Nuneaton in a by-election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuneaton_by-election,_1967
    I remember that very well. Leslie Huckfield was the Labour victor at the by election caused by Frank Cousins standing down to return as TGWU general secretary. On the same day, there were two other by elections in Labour seats - Rhondda West where Labour's majority was slashed to 2000 over Plaid - and Glasgow Pollok which saw a Tory gain from Labour. The latter was the last time the Tories gained a seat in Scotland at a by - election - the new MP was Professor Esmonde Wright. It all feels like just a few years ago - but goodness me it is indeed now 50 years.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Mr Hayfield.

So does this mean?;
    - Locals are meaningless
    - The LDs are a trusted force of the mundane
    - Everyone wants Blair back, even Broon
    - Something else

What it clearly doesn't mean is that the LDs are on some sort of triumphant rampage - we saw that last night. Could you cast any light on the interpretation?

I really have no idea I am afraid. I cannot understand why the Liberal Democrats seem to be gaining seats at the local election level (usually having never stood the last time) and therefore suggest to speak to Professors Rallings and Thrasher to see if they can figure it out
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, David Miliband would certainly have to have a greater love of Labour than I would have in his situation, especially given the party's previous snubbing of him
  • Options
    edited February 2017

what do the Westminster by lections tell us about the shares of the vote according to current polls. I'd hazard that Labour are overstated and should be about 20-22% but is that right?

25-26% looks accurate.

The Tories are on around 39-40.

LDs and UKIP both on 10-12.

The remainder are nationalists, Greens, NI and Flying Brick Bus Pass Elvis'.
  • Options

There were a total of 25,279 local by-election votes cast in February compared to 31,068 votes in Copeland.

Thanks.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

It is to the extent that the Toriesare doing better in Leave seats than Remain seats at the moment and the LDs the reverse and Labour are doing worse than 2015 in both
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    anielVerified account‏@Taniel Feb 23

Democrats & moderate Republicans take a big step toward expanding Medicaid in Kansas. (≈150K would gain insurance.) http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article134332184.html
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    chestnut said:

25-26% looks accurate.

ty how does the maths work svp
  • Options
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

How about Islington North?
    I think there is only one winner in that fight and his first name does not begin with D!
  • Options
    As if it wasn't bad enough referring to Copeland as a marginal, what person is supposed to believe not winning both seats is a blow to May and the government? Who was proposing both would be won by the Tories?

Do they really expect anyone to believe these lines?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Based on the calculations inspired by Matt Singh of NCP, if there was a Labour by-election where Labour polled more than 42% of the vote at the general election, Labour should win it. According to UK-Elect there are 191 Labour seats that match that description (including Copeland)
  • Options

The two results were rather different with Copeland seeing Labour drop 5% as compared with a loss of 2% in Stoke. That would point to Labour's national vote share being in the range of 26 - 29%. - not very different to the polls but still rather higher than is being implied by Yougov.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Corbyn has geniuses like this supporting him still :

https://twitter.com/tigerfish4/status/835242802351067136

Where to begin with that tweet....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

*or real one. North Korea has launched missiles, and demonstrated its ownership of nerve gas.

The press and politicians are overstating the significance of North Korea having VX. Aum Shinrikyo, the group that carried out the Sarin attack on the subway in Tokyo, made VX as well and used it in an earlier series of smaller scale attacks that were essentially unreported in the west. It's likely that North Korea does have a large stockpile of chemical and biological weapons, but it's not quite the shocker some seem to think it is. It's surprising there aren't more such terrorist attacks.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Based on the calculations inspired by Matt Singh of NCP, if there was a Labour by-election where Labour polled more than 42% of the vote at the general election, Labour should win it. According to UK-Elect there are 191 Labour seats that match that description (including Copeland)
    Then I see a slight flaw in the calculations ...
  • Options

chestnut said:

25-26% looks accurate.

In the five by elections since the referendum, Labour are down around 5 on average compared to the GE. That puts them mid twenties, down from 30-31.

The Tories are not in the mid 40s.

We're in Thatcher V Foot territory.
  • Options

According to UK-Elect there are 191 Labour seats that match that description (including Copeland)

Ha !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,961
    edited February 2017

chestnut said:

25-26% looks accurate.

UKIP would get -2 seats on that basis I think :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017

As if it wasn't bad enough referring to Copeland as a marginal, what person is supposed to believe not winning both seats is a blow to May and the government? Who was proposing both would be won by the Tories?
    Probably the same idiots who think losing a seat they have held for decades is a sign of success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

It is to the extent that the Toriesare doing better in Leave seats than Remain seats at the moment and the LDs the reverse and Labour are doing worse than 2015 in both
    But it was certainly not a major campaign issue - even if the Tories derived some benefit from its side effects on UKIP. The LD recovery is probably simply a natural bounce from an exceptionally weak position and is likely to have occurred anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Too many tweets ...

I wonder where she got those numbers from.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited February 2017

Martin Baxter reckons around a 5% swing to the blues from GE'15. 42-31-13UK-8LD-4GR.

Edit: That Lab score of 31 is from the article but is way too high based on current polling. More like 26.

Headline speaks for itself, and a picture tells 1000 words!
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/835124628641181697
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

dr_spyn said:

Five years, not three, and under highly unusual circumstances where actually the Prime Minister was not a party leader (the only time this happened in the twentieth century, if we discount Lloyd George's and Ramsay Macdonald's times as leader of split groups within a party). Its win in 1945 was also under highly unusual circumstances.

It is to be hoped that we are not being lined up for a similar catastrophe despite @rcs1000 and his gloomy prognostications about 1930s and protectionism. But even if we are, who could play Attlee to Corbyn's Lansbury, and where would his Bevin be?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

But it was certainly not a major campaign issue - even if the Tories derived some benefit from its side effects on UKIP. The LD recovery is probably simply a natural bounce from an exceptionally weak position and is likely to have occurred anyway.
    The Tories certainly campaigned on Brexit alongside nuclear power in Copeland and being continuity Remain gave the LDs some momentum for recovery on strong Remain areas
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

At this point you have to be deeply stupid to support Corbyn, so it's no surprise that such "analysis" is being spouted by his supporters.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    At a GE under Corbyn you have to factor in the effect that NATO/Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament and the Monarchy is going to have on voting intention.

Neither of the above issues are in the media narrative or voters minds at the moment.

In a GE campaign it's absolutely certain Corbyn will be attacked mercilessly on NATO/ Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament - and it's bound to feature in TV debates etc.

Next in line will be the Monarchy - as soon as Corbyn gives a wishy washy answer that he's "not campaigning on the Monarchy" the tabloids will go for it big time and it'll then spill over into the TV news narrative.

It's anyone's guess how many more votes Lab could lose on the above issues but it could easily be substantial.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The Tories certainly campaigned on Brexit alongside nuclear power in Copeland and being continuity Remain gave the LDs some momentum for recovery on strong Remain areas
    Not much evidence that it was a major factor though - certainly with regard to switching votes beyond the UKIP collapse there.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Now be fair, Mr Eagles. They are competitive. They have demonstrated they can still beat UKIP and the Liberal Democrats (no mean achievement given how awful their candidate in Stoke was).

The only tiny flaw in their logic is that competing against the fifth and joint sixth largest parties for vote share is not actually going to help them much and may even distract them from the people whom they should be at least trying to compete with - the ones in first place.

Edited because I forgot that Sinn Fein have more MPs than UKIP.

Further edited because I forgot the DUP as well. Labour really are fighting with the big boys right now, aren't they? Doing slightly better than two parties failing to match the performance of a couple of groups elected on sectarian lines from a civil war 95 years ago.
  • Options
    Last night's by elections were a redux of GE2015.

The Tories did better in the marginals, implying an even bigger shellacking for Labour
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Not much evidence that it was a major factor though - certainly with regard to switching votes beyond the UKIP collapse there.
    Winning o
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Wininng over voters from UKIP played a key part in the Tory majority
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Too many tweets ...

I wonder where she got those numbers from.
    The numbers are wrong
    Even if they were right it'd still be a piss poor result for Labour in those seats.
    By-election results tend not to be great indicators of GE results
    But that "Not so great indicator" tends to generally favour the governing party (Corby, Eastleigh, Christchurch, even Newbury if you analyse it closely) in those seats.

So wrong on at least 4 levels by my analysis.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

At a GE under Corbyn you have to factor in the effect that NATO/Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament and the Monarchy is going to have on voting intention.

Neither of the above issues are in the media narrative or voters minds at the moment.

In a GE campaign it's absolutely certain Corbyn will be attacked mercilessly on NATO/ Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament - and it's bound to feature in TV debates etc.

Next in line will be the Monarchy - as soon as Corbyn gives a wishy washy answer that he's "not campaigning on the Monarchy" the tabloids will go for it big time and it'll then spill over into the TV news narrative.

It's anyone's guess how many more votes Lab could lose on the above issues but it could easily be substantial.

For one thing come the general election any sort of Tories For Corbyn thinking will be in the bin, they won't pull their punches.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, David Miliband would certainly have to have a greater love of Labour than I would have in his situation, especially given the party's previous snubbing of him
    More than that, I'd think. However great his love for the Labour party, David Miliband would also need to have the vision to pull Labour round and the self-belief that he is able to inspire the membership to rally behind his vision for Labour.

Even discounting the high number of members who are far more left-wing than he is, he wasn't able to inspire the then-membership to select D Miliband as leader the first time round, and when E Miliband stepped down and more of D Miliband's contemporaries stood for leader, there was hardly an iota of vision amongst them.

I suppose it's possible that the experience of being pipped at the post / stabbed in the back by his younger brother might have radically changed him into a visionary & charismatic leader, but it seems unlikely.

He's a politician, so he might have the self-belief, but then, so did E Miliband.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    AnneJGP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More than that, I'd think. However great his love for the Labour party, David Miliband would also need to have the vision to pull Labour round and the self-belief that he is able to inspire the membership to rally behind his vision for Labour.

Even discounting the high number of members who are far more left-wing than he is, he wasn't able to inspire the then-membership to select D Miliband as leader the first time round, and when E Miliband stepped down and more of D Miliband's contemporaries stood for leader, there was hardly an iota of vision amongst them.

I suppose it's possible that the experience of being pipped at the post / stabbed in the back by his younger brother might have radically changed him into a visionary & charismatic leader, but it seems unlikely.

He's a politician, so he might have the self-belief, but then, so did E Miliband.
    D. Miliband is not a politician. He has no imagination and lacks ruthlessness.
    He is not a leader. He has neither energy nor charisma.
    He is not a visionary. He is in fact more or less vacuous in policy terms (those New Labour manifestos...)
    He is not collegiate. He works badly with other people and lets them down at crucial moments (ask James Purnell).

What he is - undoubtedly - is a talented administrator. That is why his tenure at DEFRA was a rare gleam of light in the life of that troubled department. But unless he has a clear problem to solve and instructions on what the solution needs to do, he's completely lost.

He would be absolutely the wrong leader for Labour right now. Truth to tell, he would not be a suitable leader except under highly unusual circumstances where administrative talent mattered more than leadership or drive - as a deputy PM in a national government, running the Home Office, I can imagine he would be superb, a latter day Anderson. But he would not have done better than Ed, conceivably worse, and would not be the needed radical improvement on Corbyn.
  • Options
    Newsnight begins in Latin in honour of Empress Theresa!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Given by-elections at the time (which is the best indicator we have), the likelihood is that the National government would have been returned for a third election in autumn 1939 / spring 1940, had not war intervened. Without the unique circumstances of WWII, Labour would have been out of power for at least a decade after Lansbury. (What would have happened in a 1943/4/5 election is fairly unknowable given that that timeline would have diverged so far from our own. We couldn't even know who the PM would have been after Chamberlain's illness in 1940.
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: No Emily, it hasn't 'always been a marginal'! It wd have CHANGED HANDS IN LAST 70 YRS IF IT WAS. #copeland #emilythornberry
  • Options
    Rofl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_East_and_Saddleworth_by-election,_2011

Paul Nuttall UKIP 2,029 5.8 +1.9
    Nick "The Flying Brick" Delves Monster Raving Loony 145
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: No Emily, it hasn't 'always been a marginal'! It wd have CHANGED HANDS IN LAST 70 YRS IF IT WAS. #copeland #emilythornberry

Not necessarily. If argue that a seat which has consistently had a 1000 majority for one party would be defined as marginal
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Peak Thornberry on @BBCNewsnight followed by Neil Hamilton on UKIP failure. They'll be playing this video at the CCHQ Christmas party.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Given by-elections at the time (which is the best indicator we have), the likelihood is that the National government would have been returned for a third election in autumn 1939 / spring 1940, had not war intervened. Without the unique circumstances of WWII, Labour would have been out of power for at least a decade after Lansbury. (What would have happened in a 1943/4/5 election is fairly unknowable given that that timeline would have diverged so far from our own. We couldn't even know who the PM would have been after Chamberlain's illness in 1940.
    Especially given so many senior figures were either in the Lords (Halifax) of Chamberlain's own generation (Hoare) in a different party (Anderson) or several of these at once (Simon, who had already refused a peerage at least once).

The fact that Thomas Inskip was put forward as a serious candidate to succeed Chamberlain at this time probably tells you all you need to know about the exhaustion of a party that by 1939 had spent 21 of the previous 24 years in government.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,364
    edited February 2017
    But the Tories' vote went UP in both of last night's WESTMINSTER by-elections
  • Options
    Charles said:

Not necessarily. If argue that a seat which has consistently had a 1000 majority for one party would be defined as marginal

How many other "marginal" seats have never changed hands?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes I think it is pretty safe to say the next Labour PM, if there is to be another Labour PM, will not have the surname Miliband
This discussion has been closed.