Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight sees biggest round of local by-elections so far this y

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight sees biggest round of local by-elections so far this year

Bollington on Cheshire East (Con defence, resignation of sitting member) Result of council at last election (2015): Conservatives 53, Labour 16, Independents 3, Middlewich First 3, Liberal Democrats 2, Nantwich Independents 2, Ratepatyers 2, Bollington First 1 (Conservative majority of 24) Result of ward at last election (2015) : Emboldened denotes elected Bollington First 1,743, 1,380 (37%) Conservatives 1,435, 1,403 (31%) Labour 1,006 (21%) Liberal Democrats 511, 427 (11%) EU Referendum Result: REMAIN 107,962 (49%) LEAVE 113,163 (51%) on a turnout of 77% Candidates duly nominated: Sam Al-Hamdani (Lib Dem), Phillip Bolton (Con), James Nicholas (Bollington First), Richard Purslow (Green), Rob Vernon (Lab) Weather at close of polls: Cloudy, but dry, 7°C Estimate: Bollington First GAIN from Conservative

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited February 2017
    First like Bollington First.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    FPT
    Floater said:

Trump says CNN hate him.

So sad.

And compared the BBC to CNN - Jon Sopel for once looked speechless
    Got to admit I did enjoy him putting down our impartial *cough* BBC
    BBC headline on the press conference: "Trump's mental health sparks debate"
  • Options
    LD = Living Dead.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Church of England gay marriage vote thrown into chaos after members 'get confused and press wrong button' "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/bishop-apologises-accidentally-pressing-wrong-button-crucial/
  • Options

FPT

Floater said:

Trump says CNN hate him.

So sad.

BBC = Butthurt Broadcasting Corporation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Church of England gay marriage vote thrown into chaos after members 'get confused and press wrong button' "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/bishop-apologises-accidentally-pressing-wrong-button-crucial/

Stop. Bashing. The. Bishop.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    Not even a podium finish :(
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

FPT

Floater said:

Trump says CNN hate him.

So sad.

You have to be very biased to not think he is unhinged.

"The father had, among other things, "expressed unorthodox views about the need for sterilisation of bottles and the benefits of formula milk".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38995320
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn needs to recruit moussa Sissokos agent. He or she can polish a turd if anyone can.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    The 15/8 UKIP has gone.. I was only trying to help
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

@robertmooreitv: One Republican Senator texted to CNN: The President should be doing this with a therapist, not on live TV.
  • Options
    A £98 lay of Labour on Betfair in Stoke takes them back to 2.02.. v thin mkt!!!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Nuttall misses Stoke hustings as he prioritises being in Brussels! You couldn't make it up...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/16/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-condemned-for-failing-to-attend-hustings
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    SeanT said:

...It sent some of us bonkers (including me, nearly)...

Nearly?... :)

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Labour can't lose in Stoke, can they?

I've been following the football barometer of Stoke City supporters' opinions on the upcoming election (it was spot on for Brexit) - I think Labour are safe now that A50 is passing without a hitch.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Has "Donald" said something controversial again? ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    'Residents for Uttlesford'

Another BNP front?
  • Options
    isam said:

Where?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

My SU back in the day had amongst its standing orders: "members must think before voting". Apparently the General Synod needs the same!
  • Options

Nuttall misses Stoke hustings as he prioritises being in Brussels! You couldn't make it up...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/16/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-condemned-for-failing-to-attend-hustings

Ah reminds me of how Carswell was going to lose Clacton when he swerved a hustings! Roger Lord was going to win wasn't he??!!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Best ward and council name combo 'Elsenham and Henham on Uttlesford' but it's slim pickings.
  • Options

isam said:

Where?
    Betfair exchange
  • Options
    Is Mike Smithson the most famous man in Britain???? His tweets are being linked to on Stoke City's football forum.

Who can forget that time he tweeted something that moved sterling?
  • Options
    Anybody fancy a trip to watch some footy in Russia? Looks delightful!
  • Options
    Let's see the LDs leap from 2%(!) to a win in Failsworth, eh?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Let's see the LDs leap from 2%(!) to a win in Failsworth, eh?

A very rare by-election with exactly the same parties standing again.
  • Options
    Chesire East intrigues me

Independents 3, Middlewich First 3, Liberal Democrats 2, Nantwich Independents 2, Ratepatyers 2,

Even if they truly do want to ensure Middlewich/Nantwich comes first, is that really not possible outside of a single 'Independent' group, which is simpler for committee places? Not to mention the ratepayers in the mix.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

As bad as Nuttall is, you couldn't really make up the caricature of Jeremy Corbyn and his pathetic cheerleaders that are collectively consigning progressive politics to the dustbin.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But this is why I recognise the pathology, from the other side. The europhiles are getting what we had to endure, only it is being dumped on them in vast tonnes, overnight, rather than corroding their will to live, over years (and I genuinely do not know which is harder or crueller, in the end)

Eheu. Everything comes back to bite you. A lesson for all of us.

I think the main problem facing europhiles now is that, bluntly, we feel largely irrelevant to the post-referendum political landscape. A minority of the most sore losers will lash out, of course. Many others, accepting of though not happy with the result, are quietly trying to work out what our place (personally and/or politically) in the new future is. For myself it's quite an introspective process and after 8 months still hasn't yielded up any answers at all yet.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tyson said:

As bad as Nuttall is, you couldn't really make up the caricature of Jeremy Corbyn and his pathetic cheerleaders that are collectively consigning progressive politics to the dustbin.
    Harsh but very, very fair.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GIN1138 said:

As if :-)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Where?
    Betfair exchange
    Missed that. Got about 18k on so far at around 1.9 average. Seems like a very good value bet on labour to me. Best opportunity for some time not so sure about copeland.
  • Options

SeanT said:

But this is why I recognise the pathology, from the other side. The europhiles are getting what we had to endure, only it is being dumped on them in vast tonnes, overnight, rather than corroding their will to live, over years (and I genuinely do not know which is harder or crueller, in the end)

I think the main problem facing europhiles now is that, bluntly, we feel largely irrelevant to the post-referendum political landscape. A minority of the most sore losers will lash out, of course. Many others, accepting of though not happy with the result, are quietly trying to work out what our place (personally and/or politically) in the new future is. For myself it's quite an introspective process and after 8 months still hasn't yielded up any answers at all yet.

Stop being so defeatist. Brexit is wrong and bad and will be proved to be so. As too will the divisive politics of Trump and LePenn and the Alt Right. It is just a matter of time.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It'll be a long hard road, and if things go poorly you'll meet some repentant Brexiters in the middle.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    isam said:

The 15/8 UKIP has gone.. I was only trying to help

The 11/4 Labour in Copeland will be going soon too.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Now that the status quo has been so upset, true Europhiles have a decision to make between accepting that the UK is out of the EU for ever and working for a close relationship between the two; and advocating to Rejoin, which may not be feasible in even the medium term.

Throwing one's toys out of the pram, as Grayling and several notable PBers have done, is quite understandable in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

As if :-)
    I see that Trump was back in full throttle snorting mode tonight at the press conference.....back to the presidential debates. Corbyn snorts too. It is a particularly repulsive, repellant trait, and something I don't think I have ever seen a woman do.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

isam said:

Where?
    Betfair exchange
    Missed that. Got about 18k on so far at around 1.9 average. Seems like a very good value bet on labour to me. Best opportunity for some time not so sure about copeland.
    Hmm I disagree, I think it is 50/50 Labour and UKIP but I seem to be on my own!

I have backed Labour at 2.21 by trading it around but still lose on them as I backed UKIP bigger.. not anywhere near your size mind you

Before the candidates were announced I thought Labour were a shoo in. If they get elected with a bloke who literally calls the electorate names on twitter then the power of the rosette is well and truly in force
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited February 2017
    chestnut said:

Is Mike Smithson the most famous man in Britain???? His tweets are being linked to on Stoke City's football forum.

Who can forget that time he tweeted something that moved sterling?

Isn't he in the top 100,000,000 most influential pensioners on Twitter or something? :smiley:
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    This week's Lib Dem gain will be in tomorrows by election in Wokingham Emmbrook ward .
    Result last May was Con 1235 LDem 1222 Lab 260 Green 119
  • Options
    tyson said:

Stop being so defeatist. Brexit is wrong and bad and will be proved to be so. As too will the divisive politics of Trump and LePenn and the Alt Right. It is just a matter of time.

I honestly don't see my position as being defeatist. Except, of course, for the fact that my side was defeated. I thought I was being relatively positive. :) That aside, this is an opportunity to think about all of my opinions and what directions they might point me towards.

• Options

SeanT said:

Now that the status quo has been so upset, true Europhiles have a decision to make between accepting that the UK is out of the EU for ever and working for a close relationship between the two;
    Part of the UK as originally constituted is firmly embedded in the EU. It's the fate of the rest of it that is now in question. Brexit is the beginning, not the end, of a process that will determine the future of our nation state.
  • Options

This week's Lib Dem gain will be in tomorrows by election in Wokingham Emmbrook ward .

What chance do you give the Lib Dems in Stoke?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Just listening to the podcast... 16% approve of Jeremy Corbyn! How can he still be there?
  • Options
    ITV joining the hysteria. Reporter saying Trump had promised to give Washington a cardiac arrest and no doubt that has been achieved but it is shocking and with disbelief that the White House has done this.

Trump needs to do more of these press conferences until the MSM accept that their World has changed

• Options
    Floater said:

tyson said:

Corbyn is simply giving the Tories a false sense of security until Len pulls the plug on the experiment in 2018
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017

ITV joining the hysteria. Reporter saying Trump had promised to give Washington a cardiac arrest and no doubt that has been achieved but it is shocking and with disbelief that the White House has done this.

Trump needs to do more of these press conferences until the MSM accept that their World has changed

I have been watching a load of Russians beat each other up to practice for the English chavs...what has the Donald done now?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Corbyn is simply giving the Tories a false sense of security until Len pulls the plug on the experiment in 2018
    The result of GE 2020 will depend on whether Theresa May obtains an acceptable divorce from the EU.. If she does she will walk back into power.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Freggles said:

Just listening to the podcast... 16% approve of Jeremy Corbyn! How can he still be there?

Because the Labour party members is largely made up of members of that 16%?

Not exactly rocket science, but then you don't seem to understand that France is a safe country....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Trumpski really has a new interesting take on sanity.
  • Options

I have been watching a load of Russians beat each other up to practice for the English chaos...what has the Donald done now?
    He spent a bunch of time slagging off the media in an entertaining if slightly baffling way. This is apparently a grand achievement because something something mainstream media. But really it seems like its just Donald being Donald.
  • Options

I have been watching a load of Russians beat each other up to practice for the English chaos...what has the Donald done now?
    He took the MSM head on in his press conference and dealt a knockout blow. Jon Sopel of the BBC was taken apart
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

isam said:

isam said:

Where?
    Betfair exchange
    You've bet 18 THOUSAND pounds on a by-election? Wow.

And I thought my tenner on Labour was a bit daring.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Evens chance of beating UKIP into 2nd
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I respect your honesty, and honour your democracy. And, believe it or not, I DO understand the pain.

After the - to me - complete and repulsive betrayal that was the EU Constitution which required a referendum which suddenly became a Lisbon Treaty which merely required Nick Palmer to sneer and vote it through parliament, I nearly gave up. I actually said as much on here and wrote the same on the Telegraph. I felt we we had been very unfairly defeated by malign and nasty people (like Nick), but we were, nonetheless, defeated.

You can't spend your whole life lamenting setbacks. It is a waste of precious time. So I readjusted. I almost became a reluctant europhile (another Telegraph piece) saying that if we had to be European let us embrace it, and celebrate a kind of greatness, for all its democratic flaws.

But deep down I remained a sceptic, and an Englishman, hence my ultimate vote for Leave.

So I do empathise. You Remainers are suddenly facing what we Leavers have suffered since the 1970s, except your defeat has come in one big thump.

My advice is accept it, work for the betterment of your country interim, and argue for a democratic reversal when the time comes. On present trends that will be in about 30 years. I sincerely wish you good luck.
    Good post
  • Options

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

The result of GE 2020 will depend on whether Theresa May obtains an acceptable divorce from the EU.. If she does she will walk back into power.
    Not so sure. 11 points isn't insurmountable, in fact against Corbyn I'm not sure it's that impressive. A lot depends on her personal ratings remaining high and of course boundary changes.

. Change of Lab leader, economic downturn, lots can go wrong still.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

The importance of the EU settlement is entirely related to the quality of the other settlements with the 88% of the global economy that aren't in a post Brexit EU.

If May has deals settled/firmly pipelined with the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the public will happily tolerate the loss of Romania and Latvia etc.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Is that a 100% chance of losing?
  • Options

midwinter said:

Cheers. No chance against Labour on a tiny turnout?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

The signs are not positive on the first front.
    May will probably win anyway though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

midwinter said:

Currently suspended but I bought Lib Dems on SPIN at 3 pts. Resolves at 10 for 2nd.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Freggles said:

Because the Labour party members is largely made up of members of that 16%?

Not exactly rocket science, but then you don't seem to understand that France is a safe country....
    My position is the same as David Cameron in 2016. Was he left wing?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He took the MSM head on in his press conference and dealt a knockout blow. Jon Sopel of the BBC was taken apart

@DPJHodges: "Media don't get it. Trump's supporters loved that press conference". We do get it. We don't care. He's a lunatic. We're going to say so.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

I am more optimistic - we have a lot going for us
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

The importance of the EU settlement is entirely related to the quality of the other settlements with the 88% of the global economy that aren't in a post Brexit EU.

If May has deals settled/firmly pipelined with the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the public will happily tolerate the loss of Romania and Latvia etc.
    You forgot India.... Oh, they will of course want easier access to visas for their citizens in return for better economic links.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Where?
    Betfair exchange
    You've bet 18 THOUSAND pounds on a by-election? Wow.

And I thought my tenner on Labour was a bit daring.
    @Gettingbetter bets in decent size. Made good money on Trump getting the nomination.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

A knockout blow-hmmmm going a bit ott I think.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

It just takes one country to veto a deal, The French Senate are not showing much enthusiasm. Brexit is happening, but we need to get real about other countries attitudes to us jumping ship at a time like this.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

You forgot India.... Oh, they will of course want easier access to visas for their citizens in return for better economic links.
    Not at all. There is a very discernible change in tone from the EU post Trump and since May's outline.

Put this in perspective.

We are a top three global export destination for the the Scandis and Irish.
    We are a top three global export destination for the major countries in NW Europe.
    We are a top five global export destination for the countries in the Med.

We are the continent's bankers.

We are the biggest export destination in Europe for Canada, Australia, New Zealand....and India. We are top three with the US, Japan and South Korea.

These facts are gradually sinking in across Europe.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

It just takes one country to veto a deal, The French Senate are not showing much enthusiasm. Brexit is happening, but we need to get real about other countries attitudes to us jumping ship at a time like this.
    I'd like to see those dates marked on a diary for when the EU think it would be a good time for us to jump ship....

It is always going to be the wrong time. Which is one of the reasons why we are leaving.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Not at all. There is a very discernible change in tone from the EU post Trump and since May's outline.

Put this in perspective.

We are a top three global export destination for the major countries in NW Europe.

We are the biggest export destination in Europe for Canada, Australia, New Zealand....and India. We are top three with the US, Japan and South Korea.

It's a rare occurrence indeed for the EU to have such an important partner so completely over a barrel.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited February 2017
    Five way battle in the Forest of Dean seat, I'd go for the Lib Dems to take it.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

It just takes one country to veto a deal
    The Article 50 deal is QMV.

• Options
    Artist said:

Five way battle in the Forest of Dean seat, I'd go for the Lib Dems to take it.

:+1:

It's a rare occurrence indeed for the EU to have such an important partner so completely over a barrel.

• Options
    nunu said:

A knockout blow-hmmmm going a bit ott I think.
    Not on the night
  • Options
    edited February 2017

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Put this in perspective.

In your dreams, William. In your dreams.

Scotland can console itself with a role as chief squabbler with the Irish as the English speaking outpost in the EU according to your dreams as well, except most of the English speakers will have gone and with England goes most of the money.

Meanwhile, the anglosphere will just take it's ball away and set up it's own game.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

'Taken apart'? Hardly - Trump merely equated the BBC to CNN. That seems a fair and reasonable comparison.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Put this in perspective.

If that is so, and they are as great and noble as they claim, they would not take unduly take advantage of someone in that position.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

'Taken apart'? Hardly - Trump merely equated the BBC to CNN. That seems a fair and reasonable comparison.
    Trump was in top form that press conference I thought. "Another beauty" Hah !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Put this in perspective.

If that is so, and they are as great and noble as they claim, they would not take unduly take advantage of someone in that position.
    I hope you didn't vote for brexit on that basis :D !
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    UKIP's big problem is that us remainers love nothing better than getting out on a Thursday night and heading down to the polling booth in the pouring rain to tick a Lib Dem box for council by-elections.

You may have your Brexit, but Thursday nights are ours :}
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Cheers. No chance against Labour on a tiny turnout?
    Expect postal votes to see them home
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

I have to say I agree with Trump on quite a few issues

Shh dont tell my Corbynista pals
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

It was Trump being Trump. Enjoyable to be sure. I liked the way he treated the lady who asked the gotcha question about the Congressional Black Caucus - I'd love to meet with the CBC: you set it up.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP's big problem is that us remainers love nothing better than getting out on a Thursday night and heading down to the polling booth in the pouring rain to tick a Lib Dem box for council by-elections.

Yes and your potholes and public toilets are all the better for it!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Luckily, Parish council elections have little effect on Brexit. Amazing what diehard Remain voters do to get their kicks now their views are considered so extreme.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Haha fair dos
  • Options

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Put this in perspective.

We manage to manufacture so little of our own that we have to import much of what we want to buy . It is why our balance of payments is so much in the red .
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Put this in perspective.

There was a very good interview with a German politician on Hardtalk the other day (sorry, don't remember his name) He was emphatic that the German position would be that there had to be a good deal for everyone, including the UK, and that there would be no 'punishment' but the UK could not cherry pick. It was not going to be full access to the single market for some of the obligations, but that there was 'a lot of room for compromise between the single market and WTO rules'

That sounds to me like the most likely negotiating atmosphere once all the pre-negotiation theatrics settle down.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tim_B said:

Sopel did well.
  • Options
    East Staffs Burton is LD Hold vote share up to 52%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017

The Article 50 deal is QMV.

Whether the deal will be decided by QMV or not is a crucial question, perhaps the most crucial question facing the UK.

You are right that, strictly speaking according to the Lisbon Treaty, the Article 50 exit deal is subject to QMV, though it's also subject to approval by the European Parliament. However, I'm not sure that's sufficient. It only requires one minor detail for fall outside the strict remit of Article 50 (and who knows what that is?) for the whole thing to fall back on to EU27 + European Parliament unanimity. Remember that our EU friends claim that the exit deal is separate from the post-exit deal. That is nonsense, of course, but most experts in EU law and politics thinks that unanimity will apply to the combination.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Put this in perspective.

There was a very good interview with a German politician on Hardtalk the other day (sorry, don't remember his name) He was emphatic that the German position would be that there had to be a good deal for everyone, including the UK, and that there would be no 'punishment' but the UK could not cherry pick. It was not going to be full access to the single market for some of the obligations, but that there was 'a lot of room for compromise between the single market and WTO rules'

That sounds to me like the most likely negotiating atmosphere once all the pre-negotiation theatrics settle down.
    One would hope sensible heads will prevail, but undoubtedly there will be political impulses on either side pushing unhelpful options like punishment or lack of reasonable flexibility, and it is clear some are hoping for such truculence to occur.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

Put this in perspective.

We manage to manufacture so little of our own that we have to import much of what we want to buy . It is why our balance of payments is so much in the red .
    Most of our trade deficit can be attributed to energy costs- which are primarily from the non EU Norway - or from cheap imported production from places like China and Bangladesh.

It's worth remembering that pre-EU expansion, the UK's trade was in balance.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Having seen and listened to Trump's press conference, I cannot believe that people see a confident, in control, Chief executive rather than an attention-seeking narcissist in denial about anything that contradicts his desires/fantasies
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

chestnut said:

Freggles said:

Floater said:

tyson said:

If Mania and Latvia etc.

Put this in perspective.

I hope you didn't vote for brexit on that basis :D !
    I knew it was a risk and that it would be very difficult no matter what, but while we cannot get all we may want, and May is not even trying for plenty as she clearly thinks there's no chance, I don't think it likely they have us over a barrel either. Whether it was worth it we shall see, and I'll be willing to admit it was not, but that will take time to assess, whatever gloomy or optimistic noises occur now.
  • Options

It only requires one minor detail for fall outside the strict remit of Article 50 (and who knows what that is?) for the whole thing to fall back on to EU27 + European Parliament unanmity. Most experts in EU law and politics thinks that the latter will apply.

A trade deal is a very major detail and certainly is outside the scope of the strict remit of Article 50.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

Remainers on the whole are centrists politically, tending slightly to the left, while Leavers occupy the political poles.

A slow victory of centrism, whether LD, SNP or the saner end of Labour so that we achieve a European style social democracy post Brexit rather than a xenophobic nationalist Britain is the way to go. One council and parliamentary seat at a time.

• Options

Having seen and listened to Trump's press conference, I cannot believe that people see a confident, in control, Chief executive rather than an attention-seeking narcissist in denial about anything that contradicts his desires/fantasies

People love anybody railing against MSM.
This discussion has been closed.