Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The expectations game. How to judge the results in Stoke Centr

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,104

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure what is wrong with Trump staff having contact with Russian officials during the election campaign. I have little doubt that UK embassy and FO staff will have been working hard to get to know them too and been in regular contact trying to ascertain what their policy positions were evolving into and seeking to guide them in a way favourable to us.

What I find odd is the lies that were told about there being no such contacts, lies that according to the NYT article the White House is still standing by. This puts what might have been completely proper discussions into a different context, especially when the Russians stand accused of interfering in the election process. To say that the Trump administration was not handling this well would be an understatement. Their lack of political and public life experience means they are making mistakes that are going to cause them problems.

The NYT isn't exactly impartial either - the agendas of most outlets are plain as day.

When members of your own Transition team inc Obama legacy - are spying/selectively leaking your phone calls to discredit you?? And leftist press creating sensational headlines?

It's abominable and sinister Deep State. If we discovered Mi5 was doing this - we'd be appalled

The leftist press!! In the US!!! Sensational headlines. Can you believe it? Democracy is in peril. Such scrutiny should not be allowed.

Here's a strange notion: what if Trump has taken note of the warnings about Flynn given to him by the DoJ, confidentially and unleaked. weeks ago?

'PlatoSaid' is a spoof poster - this was revealed last week. Best to laugh along or ignore.
    What.... the poster who claimed to have watched '"literally hundreds of hours of Jeremy Kyle". All that insight into the complex workings of a Trump voter... A SPOOF?
    She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, while everyone else was congratulating themselves on how right they'd got it only to be shown to be wrong, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site
    Nonsense. A week before both elections she said she had no idea who would win.

Pointing out that your argument is based on lies and hypocrisy is not bullying.
    Oh Ok, you are saying Plato isn't on the side of Trump/Leave PB wise then. Not sure I agree but anything goes
  • Options
    Who does a really really low turnout in Stoke favour?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The latest immigration figures will be published towards the end of February. Assuming the figures continue to show significant net immigration, concern will return.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,949
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure what is wrong with Trump staff having contact with Russian officials during the election campaign. I have little doubt that UK embassy and FO staff will have been working hard to get to know them too and been in regular contact trying to ascertain what their policy positions were evolving into and seeking to guide them in a way favourable to us.

What I find odd is the lies that were told about there being no such contacts, lies that according to the NYT article the White House is still standing by. This puts what might have been completely proper discussions into a different context, especially when the Russians stand accused of interfering in the election process. To say that the Trump administration was not handling this well would be an understatement. Their lack of political and public life experience means they are making mistakes that are going to cause them problems.

The NYT isn't exactly impartial either - the agendas of most outlets are plain as day.

When members of your own Transition team inc Obama legacy - are spying/selectively leaking your phone calls to discredit you?? And leftist press creating sensational headlines?

It's abominable and sinister Deep State. If we discovered Mi5 was doing this - we'd be appalled

The leftist press!! In the US!!! Sensational headlines. Can you believe it? Democracy is in peril. Such scrutiny should not be allowed.

Obviously, though, it was absolutely fine for the head of the FBI to scupper Hillary Clinton just a few weeks before the presidential election. And as for voter suppression. That's not a problem at all.

Here's a strange notion: what if Trump has taken note of the warnings about Flynn given to him by the DoJ, confidentially and unleaked. weeks ago?

'PlatoSaid' is a spoof poster - this was revealed last week. Best to laugh along or ignore.
    What.... the poster who claimed to have watched '"literally hundreds of hours of Jeremy Kyle". All that insight into the complex workings of a Trump voter... A SPOOF?
    How many of the last major political betting events have you called right, Rogerdamus? This is politicalbetting, after all, not politicalhandwringing.
    Posters have been making money betting against my predictions for years. I was the one who cemented Mike's 50/1 on Obama by saying 'Don't touch it with a bargepole'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgHlAdSpn7Y
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The latest immigration figures will be published towards the end of February. Assuming the figures continue to show significant net immigration, concern will return.

The next set of immigration figures are published on the day of the Stoke/Copeland by-elections.

Intriguing.
  • Options
    This really annoyed me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38972437

Not that Sherlock/Cumberbatch won, but this line [which I recall from the programme, when I used to watch it]:

"He continued: "Who would have thought a high-functioning sociopath could be so popular... all over the world?""

Psychopaths/sociopaths, as well as sometimes being a bit murdery, are defined by things like glib charm and high intelligence. They make fantastic leaders. They're not autistic. They're high-functioning by nature.

Saying 'high-functioning psychopath/sociopath*' is like saying 'mathematically talented savant'.

*Debate rages as to whether there's a difference. Some say psychopaths are capable of empathy and can switch it on and off, whereas sociopaths are incapable.

Reading up on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy#Sociopathy
    Psychopath, my preferred term, does seem better. Psychopaths are born, not made. That's why almost all of them are men.

Top of the article also misses off the psychopath's supreme capacity for deceit and elevated average intelligence.
  • Options
    UKIP in Stoke are drifting like Leave and Trump!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

I think that the whole US establishment are reeling after the Trump victory. This includes Democrats, Republicans, CIA, FBI and other state institutions, and the lobbying/media. The cosy club that they've existed within has been thrown into turmoil and they don't know how to react.

I don't know if Trump will be a good or bad President but the US political establishment will have a very uncomfortable 4 years and if Trump is anywhere near successful, it could be 8 years!

I just hope that some of the deep seated corruption is rooted out and removed and some of the pork barrel politics is exposed for what it is.

Deep seated corruption and pork barrel politics is just begining. The US has copied Russias kleptocracy with Trump.
    I see no evidence that Trump will do this rooting out. We were promised swamp draining and then he puts half of Goldman Sachs into his Cabinet. Yeh right - Wall Street is really gonna get it in the neck.
    You missed his announcement of the death of Dodd-Frank obviously. The marriage of Washington and Wall Street is headed for divorce.
    That makes no sense.

US banks hate Dodd-Frank, partly because it is excessively rule bound, and partly because it prevents retail banks from offering lucrative investment banking services.

This last part is very important: a major cause of the 2008 Global Financial Crisis was because retail banks were able to use implicit government guarantees to lever up and trade. (Which was fabulous while asset prices were rising, but turned out to be a complete disaster when they went the other way.)

The Trump tweet would seem to suggest that there will be a straight repeal of Dodd-Frank. If that were to happen, and US retail banks were to allowed to trade with their customers' money, that would be good for US banks' profits in the near-term, but probably not good for world financial stability in the long run. Dodd-Frank, for all its flaws, attempted to stop banks from excessive gambling. I hope it will be replaced and not simply repealed.
  • Options
    Ugh, flying Easyjet.

Police board easyJet Tel Aviv to London flight

Tempers flared when a group of Charedi men reportedly refused to take their seats next to female passengers

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/easyjet-1.432766
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Lib Dems?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Obviously, though, it was absolutely fine for the head of the FBI to scupper Hillary Clinton just a few weeks before the presidential election. And as for voter suppression. That's not a problem at all.

How many of the last major political betting events have you called right, Rogerdamus? This is politicalbetting, after all, not politicalhandwringing.
    Posters have been making money betting against my predictions for years. I was the one who cemented Mike's 50/1 on Obama by saying 'Don't touch it with a bargepole'
    Hehe. Bravo sir.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Are we getting as Oscars piece from you this year?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

On a 5% turnout, I'd guess the tories would win.
  • Options
    Fantastically predictable how the "If Trump wins we all owe Plato a big apology" has morphed into "Plato never predicted Trump" from the nerdy after timers
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, while everyone else was congratulating themselves on how right they'd got it only to be shown to be wrong, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site

Oh Ok, you are saying Plato isn't on the side of Trump/Leave PB wise then. Not sure I agree but anything goes
    No, I'm saying she didn't actually have any useful insights into the outcome of either election.
  • Options
    What a fine, patriotic, principled, lion of a man.

An unusual new relationship has blossomed on Valentine's Day with a former Labour county councillor – and vocal critic of Jeremy Corbyn – joining the Conservatives.

Leicestershire county councillor Leon Spence has crossed the floor to join the Tories at County Hall with an election looming in May.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/former-labour-county-councillor-and-corbyn-critic-joins-the-tories/story-30134928-detail/story.html#02hi02Em6AO5iMuf.99
  • Options
    Also, to ramble some more before I get back to work, the 'sociopathy' view of a 'social disease' is just drunken madness. It smacks of extroversion as the norm and introversion as a problem, whereas there's an almost exact 50/50 split. Plus, it would mean that having a lot of friends would also be seen as a 'disease/condition'.

Humbug to sociopathy.
  • Options
    BBC - UK unemployment fell by 7,000 to 1.6 million in three months to December, while average earnings rose 2.6%, figures show.

Despite Brexit..?
  • Options
    If some one lays £160 of Labour in Stoke they will be 1.01!!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Lib Dems?

Pong said:

On a 5% turnout, I'd guess the tories would win.
    Well I'm not predicting it to go as low as 5%, I'm just reminded that Stoke-on-Central had the lowest turnout at the general election.

Will voters really come out in their droves on a cold February evening?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Yes please. Fences seems to be getting a bit of Hype
  • Options

BBC - UK unemployment fell by 7,000 to 1.6 million in three months to December, while average earnings rose 2.6%, figures show.

Despite Brexit..?

A tribute to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy.

He didn't realise how Brexit proof he made the economy.

Huzzah for George.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

No, I'm saying she didn't actually have any useful insights into the outcome of either election.
    Neither did 95% of the people on here, but half of them think they are shrewd bettors! She was one of the few people to post articles that gave Trump a chance, while everyone else was counting their Hillary winnings. Ditto the referendum, read the threads
  • Options

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I do hope so, there was a stonking 40/1ish shot that came in last year.

• Options
    I think if Trump is smart he'll look at which of his intended projects will get easy support from GOP legislators and which are more difficult - and then push the win/win ones first. He and they both would benefit from a better relationship. He seems reasonably OK with eg Ryan but much less so with eg McCain. Crossing Ts and dotting Is and checking legality / doability for his Executive Orders would help too. More haste less speed. I don't think Trump is a fool, but is clearly not experienced in the mechanics of executive leadership in government (vs inbusiness world). I expect him to learn and the screw-up rate to drop sharply.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Yes please. Fences seems to be getting a bit of Hype

I tipped Hidden Figures at 150/1, please make it happen.
  • Options
    Just laid the Copeland Con /Stoke UKIP double at 3.15.. surely that's value now?!!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

If the Prime Minister is going to Copeland, presumably the Conservative Party's canvassing (or Facebook likes or whatever is this week's big data equivalent) shows it has a good chance of winning the seat.

In Stoke, Nuttall looks doomed although I'm not sure how deeply Hillsborough resonates 50 miles south of Liverpool.

I simply don't understand the mentality which makes people want to claim that they were at the scene of a tragedy. Why? It is so bizarre and so offensive to those who were there and did suffer.

• Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    When the history books are written, I'm sure a whole paragraph will be dedicated to George.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Neither did 95% of the people on here, but half of them think they are shrewd bettors! She was one of the few people to post articles that gave Trump a chance, while everyone else was counting their Hillary winnings. Ditto the referendum, read the threads
    I made big money (by my betting standards, though probably not yours) by correctly backing Brexit and Trump, despite them being the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

If the Prime Minister is going to Copeland, presumably the Conservative Party's canvassing (or Facebook likes or whatever is this week's big data equivalent) shows it has a good chance of winning the seat.

In Stoke, Nuttall looks doomed although I'm not sure how deeply Hillsborough resonates 50 miles south of Liverpool.

I simply don't understand the mentality which makes people want to claim that they were at the scene of a tragedy. Why? It is so bizarre and so offensive to those who were there and did suffer.

It is calling for attention, any attention. Typical of people with low self-esteem.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, not a fan of short odds bets myself, but laying Con-Copeland/UKIP-Stoke together at 3.15 does indeed seem stonking.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

The NYT reporter outed for calling the First Lady 'a hooker' is typical - nothing is too low nowadays.

locker room talk
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I made big money (by my betting standards, though probably not yours) by correctly backing Brexit and Trump, despite them being the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen.
    Well done. I am not having a go at you, but I think it is untrue to say that Plato wasn't generally pro Trumps chances. I reckon she would have got a fair amount of stick had Clinton won, and people were saying she was owed an apology when Trump did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

I think that the whole US establishment are reeling after the Trump victory. This includes Democrats, Republicans, CIA, FBI and other state institutions, and the lobbying/media. The cosy club that they've existed within has been thrown into turmoil and they don't know how to react.

I don't know if Trump will be a good or bad President but the US political establishment will have a very uncomfortable 4 years and if Trump is anywhere near successful, it could be 8 years!

I just hope that some of the deep seated corruption is rooted out and removed and some of the pork barrel politics is exposed for what it is.

Deep seated corruption and pork barrel politics is just begining. The US has copied Russias kleptocracy with Trump.
    I see no evidence that Trump will do this rooting out. We were promised swamp draining and then he puts half of Goldman Sachs into his Cabinet. Yeh right - Wall Street is really gonna get it in the neck.
    You missed his announcement of the death of Dodd-Frank obviously. The marriage of Washington and Wall Street is headed for divorce.
    That makes no sense.

US banks hate Dodd-Frank, partly because it is excessively rule bound, and partly because it prevents retail banks from offering lucrative investment banking services.

This last part is very important: a major cause of the 2008 Global Financial Crisis was because retail banks were able to use implicit government guarantees to lever up and trade. (Which was fabulous while asset prices were rising, but turned out to be a complete disaster when they went the other way.)

The Trump tweet would seem to suggest that there will be a straight repeal of Dodd-Frank. If that were to happen, and US retail banks were to allowed to trade with their customers' money, that would be good for US banks' profits in the near-term, but probably not good for world financial stability in the long run. Dodd-Frank, for all its flaws, attempted to stop banks from excessive gambling. I hope it will be replaced and not simply repealed.
    I agree with all of that - and clearly failed to make myself clear. I was focussing on the need for graft. A straight repeal would be a shit idea, absent some way to keep the utility and casino bits of banking apart. My point was that when governments legislate in ways that upset big players the big players then get lobbying and eventually get loopholes, concessions, repeals etc (not just talking finance here but defence, environment, GM food, you name it). If Trump repeals Dodd-Frank (which banks do indeed hate) but puts in place instead a sensible and much less burdensome alternative then that removes from the outset the need for dirty money and lobbying.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    The lack of the Brexit recession must surely in part be down to the world economy improving. Commodity stocks have doubled in a year, and oil has jumped too. China, USA and the EU are also growing. A rising tide floats all boats. How long the tide rises is another question. It would be ironic and unfortunate if we end the L shaped recovery from the GFC by a wave of protectionism pushing us back into recession.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Tories need to watch that NHS/social care doesn't sink them, Corbyn or not.
    Does the issues list lag major television themes prior to the survey period or arehose themes a leading indicator of what the public's concerns are? I'm thinking here in the context of the annual NHS in crisis broadcasting - but equally Europe-arious broadcasting comes into play.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    Off-topic, but related to one of yesterday's conversations:

"His Dark Materials follow-ups announced by author Philip Pullman"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38978023
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The NYT reporter outed for calling the First Lady 'a hooker' is typical - nothing is too low nowadays.

locker room talk
    Just imagine if said reporter had said he wanted to grab Melania by the pussy.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    TSE if you post that Scott will be out of a job
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Roger said:

Good advert (and I don't say that often). One of yours?
  • Options

Ugh, flying Easyjet.

Tempers flared when a group of Charedi men reportedly refused to take their seats next to female passengers

And these men were not Muslim ?
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    Post it? I'm going to write a thread on it.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    When the history books are written, I'm sure a whole paragraph will be dedicated to George.
    In the footnotes.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

locker room talk
    Just imagine if said reporter had said he wanted to grab Melania by the pussy.
    I think it was a woman, but aye
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    Real terms wage growth going into May being the headline I think...
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    Real terms wage growth going into May being the headline I think...
    I promise that my piece praising George will reference this piece from last February.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/21/meet-the-man-who-could-win-the-referendum-for-leave/
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

You read old PB threads and you're calling other posters nerdy?
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.
    Titled 'How to master strategize yourself onto the back benches'

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    surbiton said:

Ugh, flying Easyjet.

Religious intolerance comes in more than one package. There are plenty of Christian ones as well....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

You read old PB threads and you're calling other posters nerdy?
    Yep yep!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

For the record 'PlatoSaid' predicted a narrow Hillary Clinton win at Potus 2016. And nobody is accusing the account of being a bot. The user(s) is/are extremely skilled at extreme satire. Hats off!

If she upsets you so much, why not take your own advice and ignore.
    I'm applauding the account!
    No, you are attempting to close down any debate on Trump that does not fit your narrative.
    As I showed below, Plato's 'facts' are often wrong. If 'closing down the debate' means correcting falsehoods, then perhaps we should have more debates closed down.
    Just for the records its worth noting that the neutrality of snopes is starting to look a bit shaky, specifically they are refusing to comment on its assessment process, the people involved etc, and largely responds to any requests for details about their inner workings as, in effect, "its a secret"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/22/the-daily-mail-snopes-story-and-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers/
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Mr. P, surprised by that Stoke graph. Not the red and purple lines but that the yellow one has flatlined (mildly surprised the blue one isn't a little higher, though they're focusing on Copeland).

The graph is about probability of winning , not vote share. Probability of winning only begins to come into play once vote share exceeds 25% unless three separate outcomes are in play.

I think the Lib Dems will do well. Might even get close to 20%.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

Modern day Churchill, WSC ended up on the backbenches when the party thought he wrong.

History proved WSC right, I expect the same for George Osborne, CH
  • Options

Roger said:

Good advert (and I don't say that often). One of yours?
    No unfortunately. Tony Scott's
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

Osborne is only on the backbench because of one thing. His strategy didn't take account of Dave not listening to his advice and instead calling a EU referendum. Osborne said it was a "crazy idea" according to accounts.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

Modern day Churchill, WSC ended up on the backbenches when the party thought he wrong.

CH?
    You've got me with one of your acronyms.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    General comment that I've made before - PB is at its least interesting when it's full of anonymous posters criticising other anonymous posters. It just encourages trolling.

On Stoke, just to play devil's advocate - Trump is evidence for the theory that there's no publicity that is bad publicity. Nuttall is now certainly the best-known candidate in Stoke: indeed, some Labour literature is so obsessed with him that you might at a casual glance think he was the Labour candidate. Possibly some voters will feel hey, he's stirring people up, that's what we need?

I do think Labour will hold it. But it's not a 1.01 slam-dunk IMO.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

CH?

Companion of Honour.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

For the record 'PlatoSaid' predicted a narrow Hillary Clinton win at Potus 2016. And nobody is accusing the account of being a bot. The user(s) is/are extremely skilled at extreme satire. Hats off!

No, you are attempting to close down any debate on Trump that does not fit your narrative.
    As I showed below, Plato's 'facts' are often wrong. If 'closing down the debate' means correcting falsehoods, then perhaps we should have more debates closed down.
    Just for the records its worth noting that the neutrality of snopes is starting to look a bit shaky, specifically they are refusing to comment on its assessment process, the people involved etc, and largely responds to any requests for details about their inner workings as, in effect, "its a secret"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/22/the-daily-mail-snopes-story-and-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers/
    Yes, you need to be careful with fact-checking sites. But :

1) There are plenty of other links I could have provided.

2) The main issue is that Plato confused 'uranium ore' with 'plutonium'. As anyone with a scintilla of knowledge about this knows, there is a world of difference. Needless to say, what she wrote would have much more impact if true than the reality. Plutonium is nasty stuff. Uranium ore generally is not, although it's not a good idea to ingest it.

Here is wiki on the company involved, to show quite how multinational it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_One
  • Options

On-topic, I think we will see Labour hold on in both seats. For Copeland, I just struggle to see the reason to vote for a governing party in an ultimately meaningless by-election, if you are not already a signed up conservative supporter. People generally want to hold their governments feet to the fire - not give them repeated endorsements throughout the term. There's no motivation to vote for the Tories here. Only chance is other parties eating enough Lab vote to give it to the Tories.

For Stoke, the effect of the Labour candidate's bad tweeting habits are being massively blown out of proportion on here - they may be unpleasant but they won't sway votes, these things rarely do. Nuttall has shot himself in the foot several times now, and the LD's may do well but not enough to come through and win - they are having a bounceback but not exactly sweeping away all that stand before them.

Finally, let's remember that the Labour vote share has actually held up well in by-elections where they weren't being squeezed. When people aren't choosing a PM like in a GE, Corbyn is irrelevant not a liability.

I agree with your analysis. People put off by Snell's non PC tweets, are not going into the polling station clutching their pearls and voting for UKIP. Copeland is the sort of place that sees itself neglected by government imposed austerity. Labour have the right candidate for the issues there.

Turnout will matter, but I think Labour will win the brace.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

Osborne is only on the backbench because of one thing. His strategy didn't take account of Dave not listening to his advice and instead calling a EU referendum. Osborne said it was a "crazy idea" according to accounts.
    And yet, he claimed to be Eurosceptic.
    Dozy, dishonest twat more like,

• Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

CH?

Companion of Honour.
    Thanks

• Options

General comment that I've made before - PB is at its least interesting when it's full of anonymous posters criticising other anonymous posters. It just encourages trolling.

On Stoke, just to play devil's advocate - Trump is evidence for the theory that there's no publicity that is bad publicity. Nuttall is now certainly the best-known candidate in Stoke: indeed, some Labour literature is so obsessed with him that you might at a casual glance think he was the Labour candidate. Possibly some voters will feel hey, he's stirring people up, that's what we need?

They were evens. Evens to hold Stoke. I mean, heavens to betsy. The crisis of confidence in Labour is meaningful regardless of results.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

After 2,500 words, does Forbes actually get to the point and if so, what is it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

That makes no sense.

The conversations that I've been briefed on (so only a very partial view) was that there are specific clauses/parts of the law that are of concern which are being addressed.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Leave won after an ugly, leave supporting (I think its fair to assume) man murdered a pretty, young Remainer Mother. I cant see that Nuttall's trials and tribulations are more harmful to his cause than that was to Leaves.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Is "PlatoSaid" a person ?
    Plato is a long term poster here, a former POTY and has attended many PB meets. That makes her more real IMHO, than a poster whose never been seen afaik and changes their PB handle more often than a Brexiteers changes their underpants.
    If Plato was POTY on PB then the site is more barking than I thought it was! I'm sorry but most of what she posts is alt-right conspiracy drivel that could be debunked in minutes (as JJ did on the plutonium nonsense) except I doubt many people can be bothered.
  • Options
    This is interesting, not so much for Holocaust denial/Irving thing which is creepy but open to interpretation, rather Nuttalls's reaction at the end. His modus operandi started early it seems.

' My student; the anti-Semite

...I met Nuttall to discuss what he had written and he gave a tearful denial, saying that his girlfriend had downloaded the references to Irving’s book from the internet, blaming her rather than his own judgment. He accepted that the words could be construed as having an unpleasant, even racist meaning. But he denied that this had been his intention. He seemed shocked to be challenged about anything – like smug, arrogant, people everywhere he was most comfortable in a small bubble where no-one could disagree with him.'

http://tinyurl.com/zknktx9
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

Mr. Isam, not a fan of short odds bets myself, but laying Con-Copeland/UKIP-Stoke together at 3.15 does indeed seem stonking.

Yes I'm on that too.

It feels similar to my bets on Clinton between 47 and 50% of popular vote.

I could easily win the bet whilst getting everything else totally wrong.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Plato is a long term poster here, a former POTY and has attended many PB meets. That makes her more real IMHO, than a poster whose never been seen afaik and changes their PB handle more often than a Brexiteers changes their underpants.
    If Plato was POTY on PB then the site is more barking than I thought it was! I'm sorry but most of what she posts is alt-right conspiracy drivel that could be debunked in minutes (as JJ did on the plutonium nonsense) except I doubt many people can be bothered.
    The young'uns don't remember a time before Plato backed Trump, I see.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    rkrkrk said:

Yes I'm on that too.

It feels similar to my bets on Clinton between 47 and 50% of popular vote.

I could easily win the bet whilst getting everything else totally wrong.
    Arf I've laid that £5/£15 too.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

It is perfectly possible to be a eurosceptic remainer, indeed virtually all remainers were suggesting some changes in the direction of travel of the EU.
  • Options
    Incidentally, and following up my own post, there's often a problem with the sniff-test when politicians do deals after they've left power. The Clintons' greed after he left power sowed the seed of both her losses - in 2008 and 2016.
  • Options

If the idea is to send Labour a message that they are fed up then voting UKIP in a by election is a great way of doing it...
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

If the idea is to send Labour a message that they are fed up then voting UKIP in a by election is a great way of doing it...
    People in Stoke have already shown they want change, the referendum result proves that
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2017
    isam rkrkrk pulps

My book is currently

Lab/Lab +27
    Con/Lab +12
    Lab/UKIP -9
    Con/UKIP -24

So not a dissimilar result, just with more variations. And of course I suspect much less money wagered!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

That makes no sense.

The conversations that I've been briefed on (so only a very partial view) was that there are specific clauses/parts of the law that are of concern which are being addressed.
    Financial regulation should be distilled to: minimum 12% tier one equity capital now, going to 15% by 2022; separation of investment and retail banking.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

surbiton said:

Ugh, flying Easyjet.

Religious intolerance comes in more than one package. There are plenty of Christian ones as well....
    I can't recollect reading much about 'Radical Christianity' in the news TBH, What did WLSC say about Islam again?

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world."

People have been arrested before in the UK for quotying Churchill.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,724
    edited February 2017

This is interesting, not so much for Holocaust denial/Irving thing which is creepy but open to interpretation, rather Nuttalls's reaction at the end. His modus operandi started early it seems.

...I met Nuttall to discuss what he had written and he gave a tearful denial, saying that his girlfriend had downloaded the references to Irving’s book from the internet, blaming her rather than his own judgment. He accepted that the words could be construed as having an unpleasant, even racist meaning. But he denied that this had been his intention. He seemed shocked to be challenged about anything – like smug, arrogant, people everywhere he was most comfortable in a small bubble where no-one could disagree with him.'

The dates in that don't stack up, the Irving libel trial was decided in April 2000 yet he's talking about it in December 1999.

In early December 1999, Nuttall’s cohort were set a standard essay on the causes of the Holocaust. I forget the exact title, but the question was something like whether the Final Solution was principally caused by Hitler’s anti-Semitism or by other factors related to the German economy or state. To my surprise, Nuttall’s answer worked in two footnotes to different books by David Irving. I wasn’t expecting this, because Irving wasn’t on the course reading list: this was after his libel trial and historians regarded Irving as an unpleasant, racist crank who was beyond the
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    isam said:

rkrkrk said:

People in Stoke have already shown they want change, the referendum result proves that
    It may well show that people want out of the EU, UKIP... not so much.
  • Options
    Not often I say this, but Diane Abbott may have a point:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38977784

Soames and Davis should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Yes, you need to be careful with fact-checking sites. But :

1) There are plenty of other links I could have provided.

2) The main issue is that Plato confused 'uranium ore' with 'plutonium'. As anyone with a scintilla of knowledge about this knows, there is a world of difference. Needless to say, what she wrote would have much more impact if true than the reality. Plutonium is nasty stuff. Uranium ore generally is not, although it's not a good idea to ingest it.

Here is wiki on the company involved, to show quite how multinational it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_One
    Wasn't doubting you at all, I was just observing that quite a few people on here have been brandishing snopes links to support their cases at a time when snopes are starting to look at best furtive, if not downright secretive when questioned about their fact checking processes. Might be time to look at other sites...

Slightly scary in that regard this opaque and evasive operation is likely to be the sole arbiter of what is true and what is fake news on Facebook shortly.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Yes, she was POTY when I first discovered this site. Back then her posts were worthwhile.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

This creates a deeply unsettling environment in which when one tries to fact check the fact checker, the answer is the equivalent of “its secret.” Moreover, David’s responses regarding the hiring of strongly partisan fact checkers and his lack of response on screening and assessment protocols present a deeply troubling picture of a secretive black box that acts as ultimate arbitrator of truth, yet reveals little of its inner workings.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

rkrkrk said:

Backing Tories/UKIP as a double is putting a lot of faith in a number of assumptions/speculation and moving parts whereas laying it just assumes status quo bias.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

This really annoyed me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38972437

Not that Sherlock/Cumberbatch won, but this line [which I recall from the programme, when I used to watch it]:

"He continued: "Who would have thought a high-functioning sociopath could be so popular... all over the world?""

Psychopaths/sociopaths, as well as sometimes being a bit murdery, are defined by things like glib charm and high intelligence. They make fantastic leaders. They're not autistic. They're high-functioning by nature.

Saying 'high-functioning psychopath/sociopath*' is like saying 'mathematically talented savant'.

*Debate rages as to whether there's a difference. Some say psychopaths are capable of empathy and can switch it on and off, whereas sociopaths are incapable.

Reading up on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy#Sociopathy
    Psychopath, my preferred term, does seem better. Psychopaths are born, not made. That's why almost all of them are men.

Top of the article also misses off the psychopath's supreme capacity for deceit and elevated average intelligence.

Good morning all. Reddit occasionally has AMAs (Ask Me Anything) with sociopaths. They're interesting reading, though, of course, the provenance is dodgy.

Most psychopaths suffer from poor impulse control. Hannibal Lecter, iconic as he is, is an outlier.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

This creates a deeply unsettling environment in which when one tries to fact check the fact checker, the answer is the equivalent of “its secret.” Moreover, David’s responses regarding the hiring of strongly partisan fact checkers and his lack of response on screening and assessment protocols present a deeply troubling picture of a secretive black box that acts as ultimate arbitrator of truth, yet reveals little of its inner workings.
    I think it's overstated. Or at least from my perspective it is given I check things like whether Frozen is in fact the most cosplayed role ever.
  • Options

Despite Brexit..?

Huzzah for George.
    In the footnotes.

It is perfectly possible to be a eurosceptic remainer, indeed virtually all remainers were suggesting some changes in the direction of travel of the EU.
    How does one remain a eurosceptic remainder after changes have been suggested by various people over the last four decades and almost uniformly been told to piss off unless their suggestion was squarely in the realm of "more Europe" ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    Morning all. I see that @Y0kel was right.

Meanwhile, my old mate Dick Newby is rattling his sabre:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/14/david-davis-brexit-bill-parliamentary-ping-pong-article-50-sweden

At least he openly admits to being undemocratic!

Also, on another matter we've discussed, this is an interesting article on the proposed US Border Tax Adjustment:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2017/2/15/donald-trump-and-the-tax-plans-that-threaten-to-split-the-us
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

I think it's overstated. Or at least from my perspective it is given I check things like whether Frozen is in fact the most cosplayed role ever.
    Princess Leia in a gold bikini and Harley Quin are the most cosplayed roles ever.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

rkrkrk said:

It could be that yeah. Now we have voted to Leave they might think it is safe to vote Labour again
  • Options

The dates in that don't stack up, the Irving libel trial was decided in April 2000 yet he's talking about it in December 1999.

In early December 1999, Nuttall’s cohort were set a standard essay on the causes of the Holocaust. I forget the exact title, but the question was something like whether the Final Solution was principally caused by Hitler’s anti-Semitism or by other factors related to the German economy or state. To my surprise, Nuttall’s answer worked in two footnotes to different books by David Irving. I wasn’t expecting this, because Irving wasn’t on the course reading list: this was after his libel trial and historians regarded Irving as an unpleasant, racist crank who was beyond the
    Perhaps the author's girlfriend researched the dates..
  • Options

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I'm struggling. I thought Mama Mia was at least as good as Lalaland so I'm probably not with the post Trump zeitgeist. But I'll probaly have a go.....
  • Options

isam rkrkrk pulps

My book is currently

Lab/Lab +27
    Con/Lab +12
    Lab/UKIP -9
    Con/UKIP -24

So not a dissimilar result, just with more variations. And of course I suspect much less money wagered!

Similar. We can comiserate when we both lose money.

I've greened up on the individual by elections so have taken a little more risk on this market.
    Not sure why I've ended up so cautious on Lab/UKIP.... If labour lse Stoke I suspect they won't win Copeland....

Con/UKIP -62
    Lab/UKIP +25
    Con/Lab +24
    Lab/Lab +36
    All other -8

• Options
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 8 mins8 minutes ago
    In year to end-2016, UK nationals working in UK increased by 70,000 to 28.44m; non-UK nationals working in UK increased by 233,000 to 3.48m

The reasons for Brexit in a nutshell.
  • Options
    Mr. M, is it overstated? I thought self-control, being cold and calculating, were psychopathic traits.
  • Options

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 8 mins8 minutes ago
    In year to end-2016, UK nationals working in UK increased by 70,000 to 28.44m; non-UK nationals working in UK increased by 233,000 to 3.48m

The reasons for Brexit in a nutshell.

Yes, Leavers would rather see fewer Brits in work so long as there were fewer foreigners in work too.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

rkrkrk said:

It could be that yeah. Now we have voted to Leave they might think it is safe to vote Labour again
    UKIP are going to be in a holding pattern sitting around 10% for the next couple of years. If BrExit means proper immigration control, no CJEU, no ongoing payments and no customs union, then UKIP will drops to c. 5% and be effective dead. If BrExit means free movement with a job offer and EEA/EFTA in all but name, UKIP will be back in business, with a large slice of voters feeling the government is taking the piss. The infelicity they appear to have having with their leaders probably won't make much difference if they are the only party of "real out" available to soak up the votes of those the feel sold out.
This discussion has been closed.