Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The expectations game. How to judge the results in Stoke Centr

Comments

• Options

https://twitter.com/BBCJamesCook/status/831719693329264642

Can all the PB sharp minds who were predicting a Trumpency would subside into a run of the mill, unremarkable administration reveal when that's going to kick in?
    Asking for a friend. In fact all my friends. And my family. And me.

I was of the opinion that the American people had voted, and that we should respect their views-Clinton was hardly an outstanding candidate anyway, and realistically, how bad could Trump actually be? Surely he'd tone down his rhetoric and end up being pretty mainstream? I knew he was a bit barmy and egomaniacal, but I'm a bit worried now!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    edited February 2017

I have to say that I do have concerns about the CIA leaking like a sieve. I get that they are worried that the normal routes are shut but it sets a very bad precedent.

What firm evidence is there that this was a CIA, as opposed to White House leak ?
    As far as I can see, it could just as easily have been someone in the administration.
    (After all, it's not as though they aren't already fighting amongst themselves like rats in a sack.)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

US politics looks absolutely fecked. Maybe Trump is actually doing a service by unintentionally bringing the whole rotten system down.

That's the core view of Trumpers - expose it all and kill it - no wonder those who wield power/money hate it.

It's a very dirty fight - becoming POTUS like Brexit, was just the start.
    But kill it and replace it with what?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Meanwhile the EU economic decline continues... Good thing we will no longer be chained to that corpse......

https://qz.com/909088/for-the-first-time-in-a-long-time-every-eu-economy-is-growing-at-the-same-time/?utm_source=qzfb
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    RobD said:

Struggling to find a reason not to pile on laying UKIP in Stoke

Why, what has Stoke resident, former professional football player, Hillsborough survivor and current Professor Dr Paul Nuttal PhD done today?
    That's Professor Lord Nuttal DSO (Bar) to you. :smiley:
    The full title is His Excellency, Dr. Paul Nuttal, VC, MC, DSO, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and the Fishes in the Sea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Copeland will be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour and Stoke Central should be a Labour hold with the LDs maybe taking third and not too far behind UKIP

I'm curious though why May is visiting Copeland. This most cautious of PMs, who seems to like the old ways, will know that PMs almost never visit by-election scenes and she wont want to be seen with a visible loser.

Perhaps feedback on the doorstep is that people are loving her approach in these unruly times? Is May becoming more popular than her party? I can't see any reason to visit unless it is that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017

Can all the PB sharp minds who were predicting a Trumpency would subside into a run of the mill, unremarkable administration reveal when that's going to kick in?

It's never going to. There is a very cosy and unhealthy accommodation between GOP statists and Dem statists in Washington. All the money, all the lobbying, all the power, all the control, all the opportunities for graft - they empower and feed off this 'deep state' establishment. And then from left field along comes a complete outsider and wins the damn presidency. That wasn't in the plan. Trump poses a massive direct threat to all their interests. Of course they'll play hardball. The likes of McCain just as much as the likes of Clinton.
    The thing is Trump can play hardball too. Maybe we will see Clinton getting posecuted for her crimes after all. Maybe we will see other deep staters being exposed, tried, imprisoned, shamed or otherwise brought low. At some point sooner or later, unless they can impeach him, Trump wil lgain the ascendancy. And I suspect he'll be merciless with his initial victims. Which may scare the others off. Graft and prison vs no graft and no prison is a relatively easy choice even for the most corrupt once they lose their mutual protection.
    Meanwhile Trump will be playing to the crowd and his electoral base will be cheering wildly from the sidelines.
    Patrick's prediction: Much blood and a Trump win. He's the President.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Why, what has Stoke resident, former professional football player, Hillsborough survivor and current Professor Dr Paul Nuttal PhD done today?
    The full title is His Excellency, Dr. Paul Nuttal, VC, MC, DSO, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and the Fishes in the Sea.
    He's the only candidate who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government! Gosh!
  • Options

Must admit that I thought that Trump would be a wee bit calmer once in office.
    But hey, it's not like anyone has ever made a wrong prediction on here.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nigelb said:

What firm evidence is there that this was a CIA, as opposed to White House leak ?
    As far as I can see, it could just as easily have been someone in the administration.
    (After all, it's not as though they aren't already fighting amongst themselves like rats in a sack.)

They should listen to this guy...

@realDonaldTrump: It is terrible that @BarackObama did not appoint an independent counsel to investigate the national security leaks. No accountability.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

On topic - defeat for Labour in Copeland would be a catastrophe, but there may be a way back from it. Labour has bounced back against the Tories in the past and could do so again. Defeat in Stoke would be existential. Losing to a candidate as compromised and as poor as Nuttall would surely sound a death knell for the party.

That’s assuming Nuttall wins. If someone else does,,,,,, and on a low turnout a strong performance in a couple of wards could tip the balance ... it’s not quite so bad. Labour lost the apparently safe Ashfield in 1977, and it’s suggested (on Wikipedia) that the loss was due to assuming Ashfield was safe and concentrating on the apparently more marginal Grimsby. However Ashfield was won back in ’79 and both it and Grimsby have remained Labour ever since. although Grimsby’s remained a lot less safe.
    I had a bet with someone that Labour would hold Grimsby and lose Ashfield. At 27/1....

Labour should hold Stoke, not comfortably because the majority will be slashed, but easily enough. Especially with Nuttall blasting away at his remaining credibility with heavy duty weaponry.

And the BBC weather forecast (OK, it's 7 days out) reckons polling day will be dry. Labour will get enough of its not-happy-but-keep-the-other-buggers-out vote to the polling station.

Copeland is a perfect storm for anti-Nuke Corbyn-led Labour. Tory by 1,000 - 1,500 votes I reckon. Delving into the guts of recent national polling suggests that. Add a bit for Labour's good candidate and the local NHS issues, take a bit off for Corbyn and the local nuclear employer.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

I think that the whole US establishment are reeling after the Trump victory. This includes Democrats, Republicans, CIA, FBI and other state institutions, and the lobbying/media. The cosy club that they've existed within has been thrown into turmoil and they don't know how to react.

I don't know if Trump will be a good or bad President but the US political establishment will have a very uncomfortable 4 years and if Trump is anywhere near successful, it could be 8 years!

I just hope that some of the deep seated corruption is rooted out and removed and some of the pork barrel politics is exposed for what it is.

Deep seated corruption and pork barrel politics is just begining. The US has copied Russias kleptocracy with Trump.
    I see no evidence that Trump will do this rooting out. We were promised swamp draining and then he puts half of Goldman Sachs into his Cabinet. Yeh right - Wall Street is really gonna get it in the neck.
    Not to mention his family.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Patrick said:

It's never going to. There is a very cosy and unhealthy accommodation between GOP statists and Dem statists in Washington. All the money, all the lobbying, all the power, all the control, all the opportunities for graft - they empower and feed off this 'deep state' establishment. And then from left field along comes a complete outsider and wins the damn presidency. That wasn't in the plan. Trump poses a massive direct threat to all their interests. Of course they'll play hardball. The likes of McCain just as much as the likes of Clinton.
    The thing is Trump can play hardball too. Maybe we will see Clinton getting posecuted for her crimes after all. Maybe we will see other deep staters being exposed, tried, imprisoned, shamed or otherwise brought low. At some point sooner or later, unless they can impeach him, Trump wil lgain the ascendancy. And I suspect he'll be merciless with his initial victims. Which may scare the others off. Graft and prison vs no graft and no prison is a relatively easy choice even for the most corrupt once they lose their mutual protection.
    Meanwhile Trump will be playing to the crowd and his electoral base will be cheering wildly from the sidelines.
    And you imagine Trump isn't a grifter himself ?
  • Options
    Mr. F, not *all* the fishes in the sea.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

IanB2 said:

My bold prediction.

When/if Steve Rotherham becomes Mayor of Liverpool, in the subsequent by election in Liverpool Walton, UKIP will lose their deposit.

Take a bow Paul Nuttall and Arron Banks

Is Banks still up there at the front? Last I heard he was working on launching an entirely new outfit.
    He's launches some kind of Brietbart competitor, can't remember its name.
    It's not an alternative to Breitbart - the new site is just a news aggregator and short articles so far.

www.westmonster.com
    Thx. Just had a look. Highly curated news aggregator. ISIS, muslims, EU crap, UKIP great, Trump great, rapists let off justice seem to be today's main features.

Still I would rather Banks spent his time on this than starting the English Democrats party or whatever.
    We don't need it, we've got the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017

Mr. F, not *all* the fishes in the sea.

Is that comment somehow related to large haddocks?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Copeland will be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour and Stoke Central should be a Labour hold with the LDs maybe taking third and not too far behind UKIP

That sounds a fair guess (but who knows in these strange times).
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, the enormo-haddock are loyal to me.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

I have to say that I do have concerns about the CIA leaking like a sieve. I get that they are worried that the normal routes are shut but it sets a very bad precedent.

A bad precedent or bad president :wink:

More seriously, it's a good point. I can't get worked up over Donald Trump being treated like this, but supposing it was somebody equally bad but that they happened to like? The further the military and security services stay from politics, the better.
    I'm genuinely worried about it - the whole notion of democracy is being turned on its head. I can't be bothered with silly micro-spats in by-elections here. The US is experiencing a serious political crisis. I've continued to follow events and its very ugly.

The leaking is just awful - no one wins by plotting against the winning team.

How would you feel about this here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMKCOlueyY
    So you're worried about democracy now? Interesting. Given your consistent support for a candidate who has demonstrably lied in public on multiple occasions and scapegoated minorities for his country's problems, I'm surprised you haven't expressed your concerns earlier
    What you say is true, but Plato also isn't wrong about this.

US politics is dysfunctional.

Trump needs to do a deal with the defense establishment to diffuse this. That probably means U-turning on NATO.
    But if it turns out that Trump and Putin did conspire together to undermine Hilary in exchange for lifting sanctions... What are the intelligence community supposed to do? Just cover it up for the acting president?
    Hillary/Obama gave 20% of US plutonium to Russians - and literally pallets of cash in a plane to Iran.

It's insane to pretend that somehow Trump's attempt at détente is scary in comparison. Just for a minute stop being tribal and look at facts vs whatyouwanttobetrue
    You are completely missing the point. If trump as president wants detente with Russia that's fine. It's his foreign policy ans he won the election.

But if as a private citizen he conspired with a foreign power to win an election by hacking his opponent in exchange for lifting sanctions then very, very obviously that's not okay.
    ... and illegal 'Lock Him Up'
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

Blue_rog said:

I think that the whole US establishment are reeling after the Trump victory. This includes Democrats, Republicans, CIA, FBI and other state institutions, and the lobbying/media. The cosy club that they've existed within has been thrown into turmoil and they don't know how to react.

I don't know if Trump will be a good or bad President but the US political establishment will have a very uncomfortable 4 years and if Trump is anywhere near successful, it could be 8 years!

I just hope that some of the deep seated corruption is rooted out and removed and some of the pork barrel politics is exposed for what it is.

Deep seated corruption and pork barrel politics is just begining. The US has copied Russias kleptocracy with Trump.
    I see no evidence that Trump will do this rooting out. We were promised swamp draining and then he puts half of Goldman Sachs into his Cabinet. Yeh right - Wall Street is really gonna get it in the neck.
    Sanders was really the anti Wall Street candidate and has passed the torch to Warren
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

More seriously, it's a good point. I can't get worked up over Donald Trump being treated like this, but supposing it was somebody equally bad but that they happened to like? The further the military and security services stay from politics, the better.
    I'm genuinely worried about it - the whole notion of democracy is being turned on its head. I can't be bothered with silly micro-spats in by-elections here. The US is experiencing a serious political crisis. I've continued to follow events and its very ugly.

So you're worried about democracy now? Interesting. Given your consistent support for a candidate who has demonstrably lied in public on multiple occasions and scapegoated minorities for his country's problems, I'm surprised you haven't expressed your concerns earlier

Trump needs to do a deal with the defense establishment to diffuse this. That probably means U-turning on NATO.
    But if it turns out that Trump and Putin did conspire together to undermine Hilary in exchange for lifting sanctions... What are the intelligence community supposed to do? Just cover it up for the acting president?
    Hillary/Obama gave 20% of US plutonium to Russians - and literally pallets of cash in a plane to Iran.

It's insane to pretend that somehow Trump's attempt at détente is scary in comparison. Just for a minute stop being tribal and look at facts vs whatyouwanttobetrue
    You are completely missing the point. If trump as president wants detente with Russia that's fine. It's his foreign policy ans he won the election.

But if as a private citizen he conspired with a foreign power to win an election by hacking his opponent in exchange for lifting sanctions then very, very obviously that's not okay.
    I'm really not, I spend hours a day watching this stuff and the agendas. Ignore my observations - if they don't feel right.

I remain one of the few PBers who called out the polling/media/pundit class that led to Trump.

I see no value in being socially acceptable - and wrong when it comes to the ballot box.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,013
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

Comey set the precedent by plotting against Clinton who was heading the winning team at the time. So it is not true that no-one wins by plotting against the winning team. Trump did. Putin has.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Patrick said:

And you imagine Trump isn't a grifter himself ?
    Indeed I don't. I think he glories in the wrecking. I think when he says he intends to cream the establishment and put Joe Average first he really means it. Sure he'll fuck up along the way and make an arse of himself repeatedly, but I don't think corrupt advancement is what motivates him at all. I think what makes him truly interesting (or scary - take your pick) is that he said all these things as a candidate and now seems intent on delivering exactly what he said he would! That's not out of the politicis playbook. It scares the horses.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

"Hillary/Obama gave 20% of US plutonium to Russian"

No, they didn't.

Firstly, the deal involved a mining company holding uranium reserves, much of which is in that well known US location - Kazakhstan.

Secondly, it is uranium ore, not processed/refined uranium - which is the nasty stuff.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it was uranium, not plutonium as you state. The latter is the really nasty stuff, and is all man-made.

Fourthly, the links with Clinton seem weak at best.

It would be odd if the US did do a deal with Russia over Plutonium, given the US is short of certain isotopes for use in space (e.g. RTG's), and has just restarted production for that purpose.

Russia has just withdrawn from a deal to destroy Pu stocks (the 'Plutonium Management and Disposition Agreement').

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-uranium-russia-deal/

Perhaps you should take your own advice: "stop being tribal and look at facts"
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

HYUFD said:

I'm curious though why May is visiting Copeland. This most cautious of PMs, who seems to like the old ways, will know that PMs almost never visit by-election scenes and she wont want to be seen with a visible loser.

Perhaps feedback on the doorstep is that people are loving her approach in these unruly times? Is May becoming more popular than her party? I can't see any reason to visit unless it is that.
    I think that's almost certainly the case. She's made mistakes for sure, and hard to see she'll go down as one of the greats, but she's steering the ship without any major catastrophes so far. We should all remember how close we were to PM Leadsom or PM Bojo!

The Tories are always pretty unpopular as a party - they rely simply on Labour being worse, or their leader being popular (not necessarily liked, but respected, a la Thatcher). At the moment both are in play.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    There must be a recording of him saying it surely? It's not as if the interview was in 1989

The quotes Alastair links to are the ones that were on his website, so could easily have been lifted from that. The BBC article was the same day as the quotes appeared in his site

Edit: in fact so are the ones you have linked to. It's the same article
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

I'm really not, I spend hours a day watching this stuff and the agendas. Ignore my observations - if they don't feel right.

I remain one of the few PBers who called out the polling/media/pundit class that led to Trump.

I see no value in being socially acceptable - and wrong when it comes to the ballot box.
    There is a difference between making a judgement on how political events are going to pan out and actually wanting them to pan out that way.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Priebus was behind the anti Trump coup a month out from the election - he was given a serious job as a show of unity -he's blown it.

If he's still got a job shortly, I'll be surprised
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

You missed his announcement of the death of Dodd-Frank obviously. The marriage of Washington and Wall Street is headed for divorce.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Yet you entirely missed the indefinite Syrian refugee ban :lol:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    edited February 2017
    Seeing as how Brexit and Trump are in lockstep (I think I made that word up-it's all the rage) and the Trump regime is falling apart does it follow that Brexit will also unwind?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Priebus was behind the anti Trump coup a month out from the election - he was given a serious job as a show of unity -he's blown it.

Hmm, but if he sacks Priebus, he'll be declaring all out war on the GOP establishment wing. They would surely begin setting things in motion for an impeachment/removal to install Pence as POTUS instead. He still needs to rely on the traditional GOP to get through much of his domestic agenda.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

PlatoSaid said:

rkrkrk said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

Your "insights" mostly involved mindlessly retweeting and copy and pasting <articles from right wing news sites, most of which were dubious if not outright lies (which I suspect you knew). And stop trying to claim you "called" the election - a week before the vote you were saying you had no idea who would win.

The fact that millions of people were duped by this nonsense is of course depressing and concerning, but it doesn't mean It isn't hogwash.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure what is wrong with Trump staff having contact with Russian officials during the election campaign. I have little doubt that UK embassy and FO staff will have been working hard to get to know them too and been in regular contact trying to ascertain what their policy positions were evolving into and seeking to guide them in a way favourable to us.

What I find odd is the lies that were told about there being no such contacts, lies that according to the NYT article the White House is still standing by. This puts what might have been completely proper discussions into a different context, especially when the Russians stand accused of interfering in the election process. To say that the Trump administration was not handling this well would be an understatement. Their lack of political and public life experience means they are making mistakes that are going to cause them problems.

The NYT isn't exactly impartial either - the agendas of most outlets are plain as day.

When members of your own Transition team inc Obama legacy - are spying/selectively leaking your phone calls to discredit you?? And leftist press creating sensational headlines?

It's abominable and sinister Deep State. If we discovered Mi5 was doing this - we'd be appalled

The leftist press!! In the US!!! Sensational headlines. Can you believe it? Democracy is in peril. Such scrutiny should not be allowed.

Obviously, though, it was absolutely fine for the head of the FBI to scupper Hillary Clinton just a few weeks before the presidential election. And as for voter suppression. That's not a problem at all.

Here's a strange notion: what if Trump has taken note of the warnings about Flynn given to him by the DoJ, confidentially and unleaked. weeks ago?

'PlatoSaid' is a spoof poster - this was revealed last week. Best to laugh along or ignore.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

You missed his announcement of the death of Dodd-Frank obviously. The marriage of Washington and Wall Street is headed for divorce.
    Wall Street (and the GOP generally) hated Dodd-Frank. Bank shares have rocketed. Goldman Sachs is up by fully 25 per cent since Trump's inauguration.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Roger said:

Seeing as how Brexit and Trump are in lockstep (I think I made that word up-it's all the rage) and the Trump regime is falling apart does it follow that Brexit will also unwind?

No. Even if the two are outcomes flowing from the same sort of feeling they are still separate and the individual actions of trump is driving things.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

I don't think I did. Link please? Trump has ordered a review.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Roger said:

Sorry lockstep is well known
  • Options

Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

Wall Street (and the GOP generally) hated Dodd-Frank. Bank shares have rocketed. Goldman Sachs is up by fully 25 per cent since Trump's inauguration.
    Precisely. Although Dodd-Frank is for review, unless I have missed something, not repeal.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Are you still hallucinating? Its a 90 day pause to review immigration vetting from a a handful of countries named by Obama. I can't help you if you're convinced otherwise.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Blue_rog said:

The swamp has been drained :-D

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

PlatoSaid said:

No, they didn't.

Firstly, the deal involved a mining company holding uranium reserves, much of which is in that well known US location - Kazakhstan.

Secondly, it is uranium ore, not processed/refined uranium - which is the nasty stuff.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it was uranium, not plutonium as you state. The latter is the really nasty stuff, and is all man-made.

It would be odd if the US did do a deal with Russia over Plutonium, given the US is short of certain isotopes for use in space (e.g. RTG's), and has just restarted production for that purpose.

Russia has just withdrawn from a deal to destroy Pu stocks (the 'Plutonium Management and Disposition Agreement').

Plato should "stop being tribal and look at facts".

She'd need to be born again!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The Hillsborough smears have moved the market, someone wants 2.5k on Labour at 1.73
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure what is wrong with Trump staff having contact with Russian officials during the election campaign. I have little doubt that UK embassy and FO staff will have been working hard to get to know them too and been in regular contact trying to ascertain what their policy positions were evolving into and seeking to guide them in a way favourable to us.

What I find odd is the lies that were told about there being no such contacts, lies that according to the NYT article the White House is still standing by. This puts what might have been completely proper discussions into a different context, especially when the Russians stand accused of interfering in the election process. To say that the Trump administration was not handling this well would be an understatement. Their lack of political and public life experience means they are making mistakes that are going to cause them problems.

The NYT isn't exactly impartial either - the agendas of most outlets are plain as day.

When members of your own Transition team inc Obama legacy - are spying/selectively leaking your phone calls to discredit you?? And leftist press creating sensational headlines?

It's abominable and sinister Deep State. If we discovered Mi5 was doing this - we'd be appalled

The leftist press!! In the US!!! Sensational headlines. Can you believe it? Democracy is in peril. Such scrutiny should not be allowed.

Obviously, though, it was absolutely fine for the head of the FBI to scupper Hillary Clinton just a few weeks before the presidential election. And as for voter suppression. That's not a problem at all.

Here's a strange notion: what if Trump has taken note of the warnings about Flynn given to him by the DoJ, confidentially and unleaked. weeks ago?

'PlatoSaid' is a spoof poster - this was revealed last week. Best to laugh along or ignore.
    When, and how was that revealed?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Really Sean, how could you forget that Nuttal was invested as a Knight of the Garter along with Elvis in that most moving ceremony next to the B52 bomber and London red bus on the moon last Tuesday week ....

Standards old thing ... standards.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Is "PlatoSaid" a person ?
  • Options
    isam said:

The Hillsborough smears have moved the market, someone wants 2.5k on Labour at 1.73

Definition of 'smear'
    "damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander."
    I don't think that applies in this case.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Definition of 'smear'
    The original smear was that he wasn't there at all
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I'd say she is more of a punchbag for weedy lefty drips
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Blair went to Tory Uxbridge and Eddisbury when he had a big poll lead and May also has nothing to lose in Labour Copeland and her poll rating is higher than her party's as Blair's was then
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Roger said:

I don't think they are really. You're looking at one or two posters here and assuming that they represent a wider thought and belief process. I'm really not sure they do. There may be overlap in places but lockstep overplays your hand.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

PlatoSaid said:

No, they didn't.

Thanks for the fact check.

Sometimes you're fairly sure someone is talking rubbish but it's not an area you understand well and you can't be bothered to Google and disprove the falsities.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Plato is a long term poster here, a former POTY and has attended many PB meets. That makes her more real IMHO, than a poster whose never been seen afaik and changes their PB handle more often than a Brexiteers changes their underpants.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Are you still hallucinating? Its a 90 day pause to review immigration vetting from a a handful of countries named by Obama. I can't help you if you're convinced otherwise.
    I posted verbatim from the EO and you went silent. Squirrel much?
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, embrace diversity of opinion.

Miss Plato was closer to the mark regarding the US election than many others here.
  • Options
    matt said:

Roger said:

I don't think they are really. You're looking at one or two posters here and assuming that they represent a wider thought and belief process. I'm really not sure they do. There may be overlap in places but lockstep overplays your hand.
    They were both formed by concerns over immigration and globalisation and neither are being reversed any time soon
  • Options

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

When, and how was that revealed?
    When the PlatoSaid account attacked BeverleyC for speculation and informed her "you have to back everything up by hard evidence before posting on PB", the penny dropped.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

timmo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lots of chatter right now in Trump base about re-engerising the MAGA agenda.

The defenestration of Flynn has really annoyed them.

If Kellyann Conway goes then look out for a softer Trump style.
    He cant be combative all the time and he may now be recognising that fact.
    The Spicer presser yesterday would have had him squirming under the oval office desk.
    Flynn appears to have fibbed - and Trump wanted him to stay out of loyalty - but Bannon said Enough.

Conway is being monstered in really ugly ways, she's got a young family to look after.

The NYT reporter outed for calling the First Lady 'a hooker' is typical - nothing is too low nowadays. It's horrible to watch - the vile stuff about Barron who's only 10yr old is another

Trump was told Conway had lied. He did nothing until that fact was made public. That is no-one's fault, but his own. He is either exceptionally weak or tolerant of mendacity.

As for coverage. Er, yes. The Obama administration was called every name under the sun and was subject to a zero cooperation strategy for six years. The racism and abuse he and his young family were subjected to constantly was appalling. You never worried about that. The hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.

• Options
    edited February 2017

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Plato is a long term poster here, a former POTY and has attended many PB meets. That makes her more real IMHO, than a poster whose never been seen afaik and changes their PB handle more often than a Brexiteers change their underpants.
    Emphasis on the "former". She went a bit loopy during the referendum campaign and still hasn't recovered.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

What.... the poster who claimed to have watched '"literally hundreds of hours of Jeremy Kyle". All that insight into the complex workings of a Trump voter... A SPOOF?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Really Sean, how could you forget that Nuttal was invested as a Knight of the Garter along with Elvis in that most moving ceremony next to the B52 bomber and London red bus on the moon last Tuesday week ....

Next he'll be boasting about all the times he's spent at Auchentennach Castle :smiley:
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Hmm, but if he sacks Priebus, he'll be declaring all out war on the GOP establishment wing. They would surely begin setting things in motion for an impeachment/removal to install Pence as POTUS instead. He still needs to rely on the traditional GOP to get through much of his domestic agenda.
    The GOP also needs Trump voters
  • Options
    (c) Pursuant to section 212(f) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f), I hereby proclaim that the entry of nationals of Syria as refugees is detrimental to the interests of the United States and thus suspend any such entry until such time as I have determined that sufficient changes have been made to the USRAP to ensure that admission of Syrian refugees is consistent with the national interest.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

When Sir Edmund Hillary first reached the summit of Mount Everest, Sir Paul Nuttall PhD was sat there on a camping chair having a cup of tea.
  • Options
    On-topic, I think we will see Labour hold on in both seats. For Copeland, I just struggle to see the reason to vote for a governing party in an ultimately meaningless by-election, if you are not already a signed up conservative supporter. People generally want to hold their governments feet to the fire - not give them repeated endorsements throughout the term. There's no motivation to vote for the Tories here. Only chance is other parties eating enough Lab vote to give it to the Tories.

For Stoke, the effect of the Labour candidate's bad tweeting habits are being massively blown out of proportion on here - they may be unpleasant but they won't sway votes, these things rarely do. Nuttall has shot himself in the foot several times now, and the LD's may do well but not enough to come through and win - they are having a bounceback but not exactly sweeping away all that stand before them.

Finally, let's remember that the Labour vote share has actually held up well in by-elections where they weren't being squeezed. When people aren't choosing a PM like in a GE, Corbyn is irrelevant not a liability.

• Options
    Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

I posted verbatim from the EO and you went silent. Squirrel much?
    She will bring forward her lunch break. The Apologist-in-chief got caught red handed. She is well known to slightly tweak extreme right wing actions/words , knowing very few will bother to check.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    There must be a recording of him saying it surely? It's not as if the interview was in 1989

The quotes Alastair links to are the ones that were on his website, so could easily have been lifted from that. The BBC article was the same day as the quotes appeared in his site

It does make it rather awkward for Paul Nuttall though. He is most unlikely to have been unaware of these attributed quotes if they made it as far as a BBC news item (I accept that he might not have looked at his own website though it's a bit embarrassing for him to have to admit that).
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

What.... the poster who claimed to have watched '"literally hundreds of hours of Jeremy Kyle". All that insight into the complex workings of a Trump voter... A SPOOF?
    She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, while everyone else was congratulating themselves on how right they'd got it only to be shown to be wrong, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Sorry but this is complete hypocritical rubbish. Trump and his campaign set the whole tone for this by using leaks from within the establishment to destabilise Clinton and so help win the presidency. All that is happening is he is getting some of his own medicine.

He caused this. He has to suffer the consequences.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Plato is a long term poster here, a former POTY and has attended many PB meets. That makes her more real IMHO, than a poster whose never been seen afaik and changes their PB handle more often than a Brexiteers changes their underpants.
    Thank you - it's very silly to allege I'm a bot.

I just see desperation.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site
    She correctly called the last two major outcomes. I don't think she bets. You are also correct she is on the right side, the extreme right side!
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, while everyone else was congratulating themselves on how right they'd got it only to be shown to be wrong, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site
    Nonsense. A week before both elections she said she had no idea who would win.

Pointing out that your argument is based on lies and hypocrisy is not bullying.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

isam said:

Scott_P said:

It does make it rather awkward for Paul Nuttall though. He is most unlikely to have been unaware of these attributed quotes if they made it as far as a BBC news item (I accept that he might not have looked at his own website though it's a bit embarrassing for him to have to admit that).
    The way it came out in the radio interview actually made me believe him...
    He so unnecessarily walked into denying he had close friends at Hillsborough and did look pretty surprised when he was told it came from his website.

Plus who is to say who is a close friend from thirty years ago? He could have more easily defended a lie surely?
  • Options
    For the record 'PlatoSaid' predicted a narrow Hillary Clinton win at Potus 2016. And nobody is accusing the account of being a bot. The user(s) is/are extremely skilled at extreme satire. Hats off!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

She was on the right side of the argument in the last two major political betting events, and is being bullied/cyber stalked by people who were in the wrong side of both and have never contributed anything useful to the site
    She correctly called the last two major outcomes. I don't think she bets. You are also correct she is on the right side, the extreme right side!
    Predicted a Hillary victory at Potus 2016.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

How many of the last major political betting events have you called right, Rogerdamus? This is politicalbetting, after all, not politicalhandwringing.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

When Sir Edmund Hillary first reached the summit of Mount Everest, Sir Paul Nuttall PhD was sat there on a camping chair having a cup of tea.
    Didn't Neil Armstrong say the exact same sentence ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

Roger said:

They were both formed by concerns over immigration and globalisation and neither are being reversed any time soon
    Yes, it will take at least two years.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    edited February 2017
    Tories need to watch that NHS/social care doesn't sink them, Corbyn or not.
  • Options
    Mr. P, surprised by that Stoke graph. Not the red and purple lines but that the yellow one has flatlined (mildly surprised the blue one isn't a little higher, though they're focusing on Copeland).
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Nuttal can hide behind glass and he doesn't do press ups, he pushes the Earth away :lol:
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Definition of 'smear'
    You accept that he lied over losing close friends in the disaster?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

"It's one small step for man, one giant leap for Paul Nuttall"
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

When Neil Armstrong first set foot on the moon, Professor Paul Nuttall OBE was sat on a rock playing chess with his copilot.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

The way it came out in the radio interview actually made me believe him...
    He so unnecessarily walked into denying he had close friends at Hillsborough and did look pretty surprised when he was told it came from his website.

Plus who is to say who is a close friend from thirty years ago? He could have more easily defended a lie surely?
    I thought the same, he seemed genuinely surprised at the quotes and denied the content was true/clarified the truth before being told they were from his website. I guess the haters must have realised he wasn't lying about actually being there, and moved on.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

For the record 'PlatoSaid' predicted a narrow Hillary Clinton win at Potus 2016. And nobody is accusing the account of being a bot. The user(s) is/are extremely skilled at extreme satire. Hats off!

If she upsets you so much, why not take your own advice and ignore.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Jobabob said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Nuttal can hide behind glass and he doesn't do press ups, he pushes the Earth away :lol:
    Sir Paul Nuttall of Stoke on Trent doesn't sleep. He waits.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

I'm applauding the account!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Roger said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Don't confuse cheer leading with insight. You cheer lead for your hero Enoch Powell though provide few examples of the insight you claim he showed.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

No, you are attempting to close down any debate on Trump that does not fit your narrative.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    PlatoSaid said:

surbiton said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Thank you - it's very silly to allege I'm a bot.

I just see desperation.
    XX Plato, the only poster that equated alcohol with fish fingers. I still use it, although I now get the jumbo sized packs :grin:
  • Options
    This is typical and worrying

Paul Joseph Watson
    Anonymous intel agents are leaking unsubstantiated claims to the NY Times to make Trump look bad. Wow. This doesn't happen every other week.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Definition of 'smear'
    You accept that he lied over losing close friends in the disaster?
    Well he says he didn't lose close friends and doesnt accept the quote on the website was his, so I am not going to accuse him of lying, you knock yourself out
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

No, you are attempting to close down any debate on Trump that does not fit your narrative.
    As I showed below, Plato's 'facts' are often wrong. If 'closing down the debate' means correcting falsehoods, then perhaps we should have more debates closed down.
This discussion has been closed.