Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB cartoon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB cartoon

Cartoon by Helen Cochrane and Nicholas Leonard.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Frost.
  • Options
    These cartoons by Helen Cochrane and Nicholas Leonard are piss poor.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Aren't political cartoons supposed to be witty, amusing, thought provoking or some combination of all three?

@TheScreamingEagles answer to your question is Tom Brown's in Eton.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Aren't political cartoons supposed to be witty, amusing, thought provoking or some combination of all three?

Steve Bell long career would suggest otherwise...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cheers.
  • Options
    BRING BACK MARF :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

Let' em rend their haute couture garments, and gnash their expensive Hollywood teeth

WE WON.

Celebrity tears are a delight to witness.
  • Options
    I hope you ain't paying for these cartoons.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Charles said:

Apparently not. Marf explained to us a few years ago that for a political cartoon to make people laugh was a bit of a no-no.

But I still prefer cartoons that do make me laugh.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Nicole Kidman looks very weird indeed
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TOPPING said:

Nicole Kidman looks very weird indeed

It is meant to be Theresa May....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Theresa May is not that pretty!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Theresa May is not that pretty!

Male chauvinist pig!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Surely Jezza should be reflected back at her in the mirror
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited February 2017
    Was Dev Patel the skinny lad in "Skins" :D ?

He was ! Clearly lost his razor since then :p
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Charles said:

Apparently not. Marf explained to us a few years ago that for a political cartoon to make people laugh was a bit of a no-no.

Witty or amusing would for me be a wry smile rather than laugh-inducing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Was Dev Patel the skinny lad in "Skins" :D ?

Yup, also the chap in Slumdog Millionaire
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The Mirror replies:

"Boris...."
  • Options

FPT

Yes, thanks, enjoyed my jaunt in the northwest - and Leeds and Skipton :)

• Options
    Be interesting to hear from the kippers on here, what they think about this
  • Options
    Goupillon said:

Voodoo poll in Whitehaven News currently has LD candidate in Copeland Rebecca Hanson on 42.5% after 480 votes cast. Both Conservative and Labour candidates on about 17% and UKIP nowhere.

Did you hear about the psephologist from Warsaw wot went to live in Haiti?

He became a Voodoo Pole!

:)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Goupillon said:
    There's no attempt to get anyone to the top of that poll by any political facebook group.
    Honestly.

WINNING HERE
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Jobabob said:

Indeed. This has just been retweeted by Ukip's Immigration Spokesman and party treasurer
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Charles said:

AnneJGP said:

Charles said:

Witty or amusing would for me be a wry smile rather than laugh-inducing
    True.
  • Options
    Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Horribly reminiscent of notorious racist Smethwick by-election in 1964
  • Options

Goupillon said:

Voodoo poll in Whitehaven News currently has LD candidate in Copeland Rebecca Hanson on 42.5% after 480 votes cast. Both Conservative and Labour candidates on about 17% and UKIP nowhere.

He became a Voodoo Pole!

Should be odds on surely
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    A low blow, how far it shifts votes remains to be seen.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

The Mirror replies:

"Boris...."

Wicked, Mr Mark!!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Goupillon said:
    Having phoned in Copeland 3 times already I can definitely say it will be between the Tories and Labour, UKIP probably still third and almost as many Greens and Independent voters as LDs
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Goupillon said:
    Just goes to show that neither Labour nor the Tories are really trying in Copeland, and UKIP even less than them!
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Goupillon said:
    Just goes to show that neither Labour nor the Tories are really trying in Copeland, and UKIP even less than them!
    Theresa May visiting this week
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Goupillon said:
    The Tories have a phonebank at CCHQ now open 7 days a week and regional banks too, lots of Tory activists have been to Copeland and Labour is also sending a number of activists there too, although not quite as many as Stoke. UKIP are not really bothering but focusing on Stoke and I believe the LD phonebank is focusing on the latter too
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Indeed. This has just been retweeted by Ukip's Immigration Spokesman and party treasurer
    Ugly cartoon, both visually and in sentiment
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Goupillon said:
    If the LibDems now don't win Copeland by 25%, it will be a T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E night for them....
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Goupillon said:

He became a Voodoo Pole!

XD
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Bafta's like a bloody wake,wonder why ;-)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Jobabob said:

Tumbleweed after half an hour.
  • Options
    Penelope Cruz looking like she's wearing Donald Trump's curtains....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

Let' em rend their haute couture garments, and gnash their expensive Hollywood teeth

WE WON.

Director of Manchester by the Sea 'Out of every tragedy something good can happen. the morning after the presidential election my daughter woke up in tears but she has since been to 5 protest marches and I am so proud of her!' Peak snowflake?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

Director of Manchester by the Sea 'Out of every tragedy something good can happen. the morning after the presidential election my daughter woke up in tears but she has since been to 5 protest marches and I am so proud of her!' Peak snowflake?
    I frequently visit Manchester, and I can without doubt say I've never been near the sea there.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited February 2017

I don't bother watching award shows, what's the point? But this year's Oscars might be worthing tuning in for.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited February 2017
    Charles said:

Jobabob said:

Ugly cartoon, both visually and in sentiment
    Edit. Wrong cartoon. Agreed. Terrible stuff from UKIP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

I frequently visit Manchester, and I can without doubt say I've never been near the sea there.
    Believe this one is in Massachusetts
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

I took the train from Manchester Victoria to Southport on Friday - um, does that count? :)
  • Options
    Evening all.

They're not seriously pushing Ms Long-Bailey as Corbyn's successor, are they?
  • Options

Plenty of Trump, Brexit and UK government bashing so far
  • Options

Evening all.

I think it's a ploy by the right of the party as they know the membership will never elect a woman as leader!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

It's the Manchester in Essex County, Essex County Massachusetts.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

And Angela Raynor as well John McDonnell.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

I took the train from Manchester Victoria to Southport on Friday - um, does that count? :)
    How lucky you are to pass through Daisy Hill, Hindley, Ince and Wigan Wallgate. My old stomping ground! Hope you had fun!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

Wrong, there's no Manchester here ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

Manchester, Mass. With ours, it's 36 miles down the ship canal.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

Well, as I wrote the other day, there's no leader so bad that you can't, if you really work at it, find one who's worse.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

Well, as I wrote the other day, there's no leader so bad that you can't, if you really work at it, find one who's worse.
    We now look back at Ed's golden era. Who knows we might look back those good old Corbyn days.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

Fortunately for Labour they dodged the Owen Smith bullet.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

Richard Burgon should be Corbyn's replacement.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    Manchester by sea...Is that the sequel to the road to Wigan pier?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Why not just ignore this person, like we would have done 15 years ago?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited February 2017
    AndyJS said:

Why not just ignore this person, like we would have done 15 years ago?
    Because it retweeted by a senior UKIP, their treasurer I believe, and regular parliamentary candidate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This is why I loved ricky Gervais doing these award shows,he showed how out of touch these people were.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Evening all.

They are.

Fortunately for Labour they dodged the Owen Smith bullet.
    True, they should be thankful for that.
  • Options

Evening all.

My intel is that it she is the product of a Labour staffer's overactive sense of humour.
  • Options
    Emma Stone, mate, Zombieland was good but no-one gives a toss about your take on politics.
  • Options
    Even La La Land 'At times of such division in both our countries and across the world I am glad we can bring people together'
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Emma Stone, mate, Zombieland was good but no-one gives a toss about your take on politics.

That's a future member of my harem and potential wife you're talking about.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    edited February 2017
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

How lucky you are to pass through Daisy Hill, Hindley, Ince and Wigan Wallgate. My old stomping ground! Hope you had fun!
    I even went on the Southport pier, but sadly the battery-electric tram was withdrawn in 2015! I changed trains at Wallgate to fit in the KirKby branch (first visited Kirkby via the Merseyrail route in December).
  • Options
    edited February 2017

This is why I loved ricky Gervais doing these award shows,he showed how out of touch these people were.

Ricky Gervais can be irritating, but at his best he is genuinely subversive. (In the true sense of the word ie, to turn from below).
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Evening all.

My intel is that it she is the product of a Labour staffer's overactive sense of humour.
    We should be looking for whoever pushed the idea of the Ed Stone. Similar warped sense of humour at work.
  • Options

Evening all.

They are.

It is striking just how bare the Labour cupboard is now. If Blair had fallen under the wheels of a bus, you had Brown, Cook, Cunningham, Darling, Straw, Mowlam, Beckett, Blunkett, Dobson and more. Even if you didn't agree with them, they were serious political players who had a degree of plausibility as potential leaders. Nowadays Labour has to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even La La Land 'At times of such division in both our countries and across the world I am glad we can bring people together'

Who gives a shit - should be the answer to her,lol
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

We should be looking for whoever pushed the idea of the Ed Stone. Similar warped sense of humour at work.
    That was Torsten Bell
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Who gives a shit - should be the answer to her,lol
    I would imagine the viewing public rather less so than the luvvies in the audience, yes
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

As for the BAFTAs

WE WON.

Wrong, there's no Manchester here ;)
    We've got Southend, Clacton, Frinton and Walton :)
  • Options
    glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

It is striking just how bare the Labour cupboard is now. If Blair had fallen under the wheels of a bus, you had Brown, Cook, Cunningham, Darling, Straw, Mowlam, Beckett, Blunkett, Dobson and more. Even if you didn't agree with them, they were serious political players who had a degree of plausibility as potential leaders. Nowadays Labour has to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.
    Whereas the Tories have collusses such as Nicki Morgan and , near miss, Angela Leadsom.
  • Options
    glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

Largely the result of parachuting in candidates. They never really had to fight a battle to be selected. cf Tory a-listers...Zac, McVey and Louise Bagshawe anyone? Fortunately for the Tories it didn't last too long.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

Gervais is left/liberal but at least does not take himself too seriously. La La Land director on the other hand just now 'our language is unique and unites all of humanity in one artform'
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

That was Torsten Bell
    Have we seen the end of Torsten Bell?
  • Options
    glw said:

Not quite true. There are a number of perfectly plausible figures - Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer, Hillary Benn, Chuka Ummuna, Stella Creasey, Rachel Reeves, not to mention Ed Balls and Sadiq Khan in the wings. The problem isn't that they have to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices, it's that they want to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Whereas the Tories have collusses such as Nicki Morgan and , near miss, Angela Leadsom.

Just because I didn't put the boot it it doesn't mean I think Tory ranks are overflowing with talent.

My point though is that Labour in 1997 looked formidable, 20 years on it now looks like some kind of end of pier tribute act to a real political party.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

That was Torsten Bell
    The bell end of Torsten?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

That was Torsten Bell
    No.

I heard the story of the genesis of the Ed Stone, next PB meet, and I'll share the story.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

Just because I didn't put the boot it it doesn't mean I think Tory ranks are overflowing with talent.

My point though is that Labour in 1997 looked formidable, 20 years on it now looks like some kind of end of pier tribute act to a real political party.
    20 years is a long time. Things come, things go. It is the way of things and not worth worrying about. In 2037 things will be different again.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,851

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

That was Torsten Bell
    Bell End?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

Tories 330
    Labour 232

:innocent:
  • Options
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

The Tory ranks aren't overflowing with talent but if Theresa went AWOL then Hammond, Fallon, and Javid are all broadly acceptable and serious successors.

I'd add Patel, Johnson, and Gove to that list, others would add Osborne and maybe Rudd.
  • Options

Not quite true. There are a number of perfectly plausible figures - Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer, Hillary Benn, Chuka Ummuna, Stella Creasey, Rachel Reeves, not to mention Ed Balls and Sadiq Khan in the wings. The problem isn't that they have to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices, it's that they want to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.

Out of those you name I only rate Benn, and as you point out he has little chance with the current Labour membership.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

Tories 330
    Labour 232

:innocent:
    Labour still 30-60 seats more than Tories 97-10.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

I think EVERYBODY except Nicki Morgan thought the idea of Nicki Morgan as, well, pretty much anything, was hilarious.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

glw said:

I know you don't seriously believe Rachel Reeves, with her catalogue of car crash interviews in the run-up to the 2015 election, is a plausible leader.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

glw said:

Evening all.

They are.

I think EVERYBODY except Nicki Morgan thought the idea of Nicki Morgan as, well, pretty much anything, was hilarious.

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.
  • Options
    glw said:

Out of those you name I only rate Benn, and as you point out he has little chance with the current Labour membership.
    Tbf he did say "plausible".
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Tbf he did say "plausible".
    Plausible Benn-iability?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    Danny565 said:

I know you don't seriously believe Rachel Reeves, with her catalogue of car crash interviews in the run-up to the 2015 election, is a plausible leader.

When the field includes Jeremy Corbyn and Rebecca Long-Bailey, she looks like a superstar!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.

There are dozens of posters on here who we will look upon as the Best Prime Minister We Never Had.

In their mind, at least...
  • Options

Danny565 said:

When the field includes Jeremy Corbyn and Rebecca Long-Bailey, she looks like a superstar!
    Reeves is definitely a credible figure. However I notice from her Wikipedia she's in Labour Friends of Israel, i.e. unelectable at the moment.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high quality candidates is surely a very bad thing. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Evening all.

The warmest lead yet Mark.
This discussion has been closed.