Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB cartoon

2»

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2017
    I really don't want a newbie to be Corbyn's replacement. As promising as Clive Lewis and Angela Rayner are (I know absolutely nothing of this Rebecca Long-Bailey), they are atleast 5 years of Shadow Cabinet experience away from being ready. As Theresa May is showing, you simply need "experience" -- specifically the experience of how to handle tricky interviews, the experience of knowing ways to put arguments that actually mean something to voters, and most importantly, the experience of actually thinking through what your beliefs are.

At this point, the least-bad option is probably Yvette Cooper -- she's obviously no colossus, but she does have the basic political nous to keep the Labour show on the road, and her biggest liability (who she's married to) has been neutralised in recent months.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

glw said:

It is striking just how bare the Labour cupboard is now. If Blair had fallen under the wheels of a bus, you had Brown, Cook, Cunningham, Darling, Straw, Mowlam, Beckett, Blunkett, Dobson and more. Even if you didn't agree with them, they were serious political players who had a degree of plausibility as potential leaders. Nowadays Labour has to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.

Not quite true. There are a number of perfectly plausible figures - Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer, Hillary Benn, Chuka Ummuna, Stella Creasey, Rachel Reeves, not to mention Ed Balls and Sadiq Khan in the wings. The problem isn't that they have to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices, it's that they want to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.
    Post of the week. Bravo!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    I see 13th got the BAFTA for Best Documentary.

Well worth a look.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.

There are dozens of posters on here who we will look upon as the Best Prime Minister We Never Had.

In their mind, at least...
    Your time will come. Your photo will be on the staircase, right next to Nicki Morgan's.

For my part, I have different dreams. But I am beginning to believe that phone call from the Royal Ballet might never happen.
  • Options
    Spelling corner: Stella Creasy, Hilary Benn, Nicky Morgan.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,057
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high quality candidates is surely a very bad thing. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
    Agree 100%. It used to be that you had to have run a council, business, union, school, written a few academic tomes or whatever before being considered as a candidate. Now it is PPE, think tank or SPAD.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

Be interesting to hear from the kippers on here, what they think about this
    Tumbleweed after half an hour.
    I was busy watching the jump.

As a kipper, I sometimes despair at the idiocy. I don't really think this type of tweet is good for the party.

I think it plays into the msm depiction of ukippers as closet racists and fruit cakes

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited February 2017
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high quality candidates is surely a very bad thing. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
    Agree 100%. It used to be that you had to have run a council, business, union, school, written a few academic tomes or whatever before being considered as a candidate. Now it is PPE, think tank or SPAD.
    If you don't believe standards have fallen, try this thought experiment. Imagine figures of the past serving in recent cabinets.

Thatcher working for Cameron?
    Wilson working for Milliband?
    Lloyd George working for Farron?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I really don't want a newbie to be Corbyn's replacement. As promising as Clive Lewis and Angela Rayner are (I know absolutely nothing of this Rebecca Long-Bailey), they are atleast 5 years of Shadow Cabinet experience away from being ready. As Theresa May is showing, you simply need "experience" -- specifically the experience of how to handle tricky interviews, the experience of knowing ways to put arguments that actually mean something to voters, and most importantly, the experience of actually thinking through what your beliefs are.

At this point, the least-bad option is probably Yvette Cooper -- she's obviously no colossus, but she does have the basic political nous to keep the Labour show on the road, and her biggest liability (who she's married to) has been neutralised in recent months.

Labour's aim should be a draw. ie, aim to keep the next election as close as possible. That doesn't mean a colossus, or even a potential PM as leader, but someone who can hold the Party together and hold the Govt to account. Looked at like that there are a few, but anyone would be better than Jez imo.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Pawn shop, call centre, furniture factory, postwoman, solicitor.

Real jobs, in the real world.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

I was busy watching the jump.

As a kipper, I sometimes despair at the idiocy. I don't really think this type of tweet is good for the party.

I think it plays into the msm depiction of ukippers as closet racists and fruit cakes

It certainly does, but kudos for responding.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Pulpstar said:

Was Dev Patel the skinny lad in "Skins" :D ?

Yup, also the chap in Slumdog Millionaire
    And 'Chappie"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Worked for Pinsent Masons, they only hire the very best.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Indeed. 18 months in Parliament is a bit soon, though?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    She makes a refreshing change from the bagcarrierocracy.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Ye, but I think Corbyn will last for a little while yet ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

If you don't believe standards have fallen, try this thought experiment. Imagine figures of the past serving in recent cabinets.

Lloyd George, Churchill and Asquith all worked for Campbell-Bannerman. Now there was a true giant amongst PM's.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

I do too.

I was polled recently and said I thought he's was doing a great job. I can see him holding on just because he can.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Thatcher worked for Heath so why not Cameron?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Should be further leaks regarding the Trump administration and its links to the Kremlin within next week or so.

The spooks are at this point entirely dependent on the Legislative branch picking up the cudgel on these matters but the leaks are nowhere near finished.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

I do too.

I was polled recently and said I thought he's was doing a great job. I can see him holding on just because he can.

Is that your real opinion or were you gaming the poll with an ulterior motive? :smile:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,868
    Y0kel said:

Should be further leaks regarding the Trump administration and its links to the Kremlin within next week or so.

The spooks are at this point entirely dependent on the Legislative branch picking up the cudgel on these matters but the leaks are nowhere near finished.

They will need to do more than a report about a story about something someone said. Another pile of crap will make Trump more secure, not less.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Y0kel said:

They will need to do more than a report about a story about something someone said. Another pile of crap will make Trump more secure, not less.
    Get educated on what is going on and you cant miss what the spooks are seeking to do.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Interesting story from Haaretz. Running with the idea that there is a path to Le Pen winning in the first round. Sounds like scare tactics to get the vote out rather than real political analysis to me:

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-1.771331
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Get educated on what is going on and you cant miss what the spooks are seeking to do.
    Trying to make Mike Pence President?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,868
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Make themselves out to be fools pushing tittle tattle?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Horribly reminiscent of notorious racist Smethwick by-election in 1964

There was no Smethwick by election in 1964!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096
    glw said:

Nowadays Labour has to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.

The 1976 Labour leadership contest was Callaghan vs Foot vs Jenkins vs Healey vs Benn vs Crosland.

What a contrast...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    justin124 said:

Peter Oborne
    @OborneTweets

Horribly reminiscent of notorious racist Smethwick by-election in 1964

There was no Smethwick by election in 1964!
    No byelection - he's referencing the Smethwick campaign during the '64 GE.

Forgivable error.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smethwick_in_the_1964_general_election
  • Options
    Speaker accused of pulling punches on police investigation into Keith Vaz after receiving thousands from donors linked to the Labour MP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4218168/Speaker-accused-pulling-punches-Keith-Vaz-probe.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    Required listening — John Gray on BBC Radio 4's A Point of View talking about the crisis in western liberalism:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cvmhf
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited February 2017
    Reports coming from local authorities that California dam could fail imminently, evacuation order in place

International Spectator
    BREAKING: Evacuations underway near Oroville Dam in California, as officials warn of imminent failure
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

Can't be arsed to click on a Owls link and see what it is.
    It's bound to be a stupid waste of my time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    PlatoSaid said:

Reports coming from local authorities that California dam could fail imminently, evacuation order in place

International Spectator
    BREAKING: Evacuations underway near Oroville Dam in California, as officials warn of imminent failure

Sounds like it is the spillway they are worried about, although I am not sure what the consequences of such a failure are.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

In this case, it isn't. It is a particularly nasty cartoon which has been shared by some fairly senior UKIP officials on social media.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

International Spectator

Sounds like it is the spillway they are worried about, although I am not sure what the consequences of such a failure are.
    Live video from KCRA here:

https://www.facebook.com/KCRA3/videos/10155026580966514/

The Sacramento Bee quoted California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesperson (sic) Mike Smith: “What they’re expecting is as much as 30 vertical feet of the top of the spillway could fail and could fail within one to two hours. We don’t know how much water that means, but we do know that’s potentially 30 feet of depth of Lake Oroville.”

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/02/12/emergency-evacuations-ordered-oroville-dam-spillway-fails/
  • Options

GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

Jobabob said:

In this case, it isn't. It is a particularly nasty cartoon which has been shared by some fairly senior UKIP officials on social media.
    Ah, right, cheers for that - have had a look at it now.

Why are there hammer and sickles along the bottom? That's a bit retro.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

International Spectator

The Sacramento Bee quoted California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesperson (sic) Mike Smith: “What they’re expecting is as much as 30 vertical feet of the top of the spillway could fail and could fail within one to two hours. We don’t know how much water that means, but we do know that’s potentially 30 feet of depth of Lake Oroville.”

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/02/12/emergency-evacuations-ordered-oroville-dam-spillway-fails/
    Thanks! At least that 30ft will be spread out quite a bit, and nowhere near as bad as the main dam failing!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Looks like Joy Villa has pulled the biggest publicity stunt at the Grammys with that MAGA dress
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    PlatoSaid said:

Looks like Joy Villa has pulled the biggest publicity stunt at the Grammys with that MAGA dress

The two lads who popped off their trousers and went up to collect their grammy in their boxers won't be 'short' of coverage in the news tomorrow either. :)
  • Options
    Salmond doesn't want to speak about currency:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15087161.Salmond_says_trade__not_currency__key_to_next_referendum/?ref=mr&lp=10

Can't imagine why: only 21 per cent of Scots in favour [of a new currency], compared to 68 per cent wanting to keep the pound.

I'm not sure his 'its all about trade' is any wiser......
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

just like buck's fizz! rad!
  • Options

glw said:

It is striking just how bare the Labour cupboard is now. If Blair had fallen under the wheels of a bus, you had Brown, Cook, Cunningham, Darling, Straw, Mowlam, Beckett, Blunkett, Dobson and more. Even if you didn't agree with them, they were serious political players who had a degree of plausibility as potential leaders. Nowadays Labour has to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.

Not quite true. There are a number of perfectly plausible figures - Yvette Cooper, Keir Starmer, Hillary Benn, Chuka Ummuna, Stella Creasey, Rachel Reeves, not to mention Ed Balls and Sadiq Khan in the wings. The problem isn't that they have to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices, it's that they want to pick from a bunch of crackpots, halfwits, and novices.
    Very true, but at least one of your suggested alternatives is sure to stand as and when Corbyn steps down and opinion within the Labour Party membership is very likely to coalesce around that person very quickly. After all, they're notcompletely stupid .... and having been shown to have been turkeys voting for Christmas once, it's unlikely they will make the same mistake again - in politics gaining power is absolutely everything, nothing else matters. By picking a centre left candidate, Labour could still run the Tories close in the 2020 GE or even nudge ahead of them were Brexit to go particularly badly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

International Spectator

Thanks! At least that 30ft will be spread out quite a bit, and nowhere near as bad as the main dam failing!
    From what I've read (IANAE, usual disclaimers), this has happened because the main concrete spillway has a large hole in it. They reduced the amount of water going through it to relieve the pressure, just as storms dumped loads more rain and meltwater onto the dam.

This caused the auxiliary spillway to come into use for the first time. From the pictures, it's looking as though a massive section of the auxiliary spillway's concrete toe has gone, along with the road immediately below.

If the problem is the concrete toe, then that might lead to failure via erosion of the front of the spillway weakening the structure, or perhaps a rotational failure.

Yes, it's not as bad as the main dam going, but it's going to be bad. It looks as though they're now ignoring the problems on the main spillway and dumping much more water down it: presumably because damage to that won't be as bad as the aux slipway going.

Now can anyone think of a US politician who has been making noises about the poor state of US infrastructure? This might be advantageous for him.

And as an aside a disastrous dam failure in the UK that is little known about: The Great Sheffield Flood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sheffield_Flood
  • Options
    OGH - please tell us more about the new house cartoonist? Ms Cochrane achieves great likenesses, although I'm not sure she always precisely nails the caption side of her art. She's most welcome and it's great to have cartoons featuring once again on PB.com.
  • Options
    Oh, and an earlier Daily Mail article has some pictures of the rather spectacular hole (chasm) in the main slipway:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4209546/Nations-tallest-dam-Lake-Oroville-damaged-amid-storms.html
  • Options

Oh, and an earlier Daily Mail article has some pictures of the rather spectacular hole (chasm) in the main slipway:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4209546/Nations-tallest-dam-Lake-Oroville-damaged-amid-storms.html

Great photos! The latest is that water has now stopped going over the top of the auxiliary spillway. More rains are expected middle of next week (I think), so I expect they will keep draining it through the damaged spillway to minimise further erosion to the auxiliary channel.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

glw said:

Very true, but at least one of your suggested alternatives is sure to stand as and when Corbyn steps down and opinion within the Labour Party membership is very likely to coalesce around that person very quickly. After all, they're notcompletely stupid .... and having been shown to have been turkeys voting for Christmas once, it's unlikely they will make the same mistake again - in politics gaining power is absolutely everything, nothing else matters. By picking a centre left candidate, Labour could still run the Tories close in the 2020 GE or even nudge ahead of them were Brexit to go particularly badly.
    You can't rely on the membership to turn against Corbyn. The vast majority don't turn up to meetings or campaign they just signed up to vote for Jeremy Corbyn. They won't coalesce around a moderate candidate. They will simply lose interest and resign when Corbyn steps down and switch back to the Greens or Lib Dems. Good riddance to them.

What is quite funny in a tragic sense is that Corbyn has lost a lot of them over his stance on Article 50. The long game being played by Moderates is simply to let Corbyn hang himself and Momemtum and the left split up in to warring factions. This only works if there is no way the 'right' can be blamed for the problems being faced by the leadership.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929

Y0kel said:

White House spokesperson refuses to say they support Flynn.
    Sounds like he may carry the can for this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Great photos! The latest is that water has now stopped going over the top of the auxiliary spillway. More rains are expected middle of next week (I think), so I expect they will keep draining it through the damaged spillway to minimise further erosion to the auxiliary channel.
    That's good news.

I was wrong in my post below: I've checked on Google Earth and the auxiliary slipway doesn't appear to have a concrete toe; the thing I'm seeing is probably just protection for the ground below from water overtopping. It's also not present for the right-hand section of the slipway, which seems odd.

There's also some information on the excellent Landslide Blog:
    http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2017/02/10/oroville-dam-1/
  • Options
    Off Topic

Am I right in thinking that with five BAFTA awards last night, La La Land didn't quite sweep the board as expected? This might mean that the Oscars could prove just a tad more interesting than might otherwise have been the case. After all, the ceremony absolutely needs a few surprises to sustain interest, instead of simply a procession of winners which were always foregone conclusions.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    edited February 2017

Off Topic

Am I right in thinking that with five BAFTA awards last night, La La Land didn't quite sweep the board as expected? This might mean that the Oscars could prove just a tad more interesting than might otherwise have been the case. After all, the ceremony absolutely needs a few surprises to sustain interest, instead of simply a procession of winners which were always foregone conclusions.

I considered the same - after all, there has never been an apparently so predictable set of awards, with clear favourites in every category, hence any outsider winning presents a good betting opportunity, if it can be spotted. My instinct however is that BAFTA is more likely to want to demonstrate its independence and spread its awards around than will the Oscars. And 'I Daniel Blake' did better than expected at BAFTA but not in the running for an Oscar.

Edit/ and of course 'La La' is playing to the home crowd
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

OGH - please tell us more about the new house cartoonist? Ms Cochrane achieves great likenesses, although I'm not sure she always precisely nails the caption side of her art. She's most welcome and it's great to have cartoons featuring once again on PB.com.

Toady. They're rubbish, and we all know they are.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There are dozens of posters on here who we will look upon as the Best Prime Minister We Never Had.

In their mind, at least...
    Your time will come. Your photo will be on the staircase, right next to Nicki Morgan's.

For my part, I have different dreams. But I am beginning to believe that phone call from the Royal Ballet might never happen.
    Power corrupts etc. Very few politicians maintain their principles - when they do, a life on the back benches beckons.
This discussion has been closed.