Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast looks at Germany, Brexi

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour say decision on whether the 14 frontbench Article 50 rebels will be disciplined will be announced tomorrow.

Who would they be replaced with? I'm serious, surely they're running out of viable MPs now?
    A whip means nothing if being sacked is a badge of honour, and the promise of preferment of no value.
  • Options
    There is no possibility of Bercow going. Duddridge is a total nonentity who will attract minimal support. Bercow will be defended by all of the opposition members particularly Labour and SNP and a bigger percentage of the Tories than he commanded when elected.

He will see off the challenge effortlessly and if you can get any price on him staying into 2018 then take it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Pulpstar said:

Durridge must know he has "some" numbers.

Clearly, and it seems fairly clear from the press report that the number is not 326. So the question is what number he thinks he needs to unseat the Speaker. Would 200 be enough?
    I think so, that would mean Bercow doesn't have the public support of well over half the governing party. I think Fowler has emboldened the Tories on this one.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Thirty minutes into podcast, and a pronunciation matter makes me want to raise a question.

Do other PBers pronounce 'clique' as 'cleek'? [I do].

'Click' always sounds American to me.

I would pronounce it as you do. The real question is how do you pronounce "meme". I've got no clue!
    Ditto – “meme” I pronounce it me me, American podcasts I listen to say ‘meeem’ - most odd.
    In my head I hear it as "mem" (rhymes with pen)
    Richard Dawkins, who invented the term in The Selfish Gene, said that it rhymes with cream.
    The inventor of a word doesn't always get the final say, though, otherwise we'd have to pronounce GIF stupidly.
    And Linux.
    In the originator's country it is "Leenux"
    It is linux with a short i almost everywhere now. Americans used to pronounce it with a long i because that is how they pronounce the name Linus (eg Linus in Peanuts or Linus Pauling the chemist with two Nobel prizes) but thanks to Youtube and Linus Torvalds moving to the US and speaking at conferences, Americans have largely changed to short i linux. There is probably a degree thesis in there somewhere for a student of linguistics.
    How Americans think that Nissan is pronounced as Neeeeeeeeeeesan is beyond me.
    Mazda is Mars-da and Hyundai is Hunday, to rhyme with Sunday. (that latter one is at least closer to the proper pronunciation, which is HYUN-day.)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour say decision on whether the 14 frontbench Article 50 rebels will be disciplined will be announced tomorrow.

Who would they be replaced with? I'm serious, surely they're running out of viable MPs now?
    The word "viable" was stretched to breaking point a long time ago. I think it now means "has a pulse."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097

isam said:
    illegal under current rules.
    What, to kill someone? I'd say so
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Just a thought, is Mili the younger angling for the speaker's job?
  • Options
    Is Dennis Skinner in the shadow cabinet yet ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,110
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Clearly, and it seems fairly clear from the press report that the number is not 326. So the question is what number he thinks he needs to unseat the Speaker. Would 200 be enough?
    I think so, that would mean Bercow doesn't have the public support of well over half the governing party. I think Fowler has emboldened the Tories on this one.
    If Bercow is to go, that might well be the principle reason - he cannot defend not discussing his intent with the Lord Speaker first, even if he felt justified in a statement of some kind, and which the house broadly accepted.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I can't imagine his "order" would be anywhere near as good as Hoyle's was yesterday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is Dennis Skinner in the shadow cabinet yet ?

Only a matter if time...shadow minister for the old.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

Clive Lewis has published his resignation letter, complete with the authentic spelling mistakes you'd expect from someone tipped as a future Labour leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/09/corbyn-dismisses-claims-he-has-set-date-for-resigning-as-fake-news-politics-live

13:41

Didn't the BBC sack him for being a crap journalist?
    Nooooo...its was because the BBC are a load of racists*.

* According to Clive.

Not sure the BBC did sack him, did they?

Sorry you are right. They didn't promote him because he was crap, and he said it was because he was black

Maybe Regional BBC News try to reflect their audience. My regional news is BBC London and they seem to do that pretty well, intentionally or not.

EastEnders, on the other hand, is the most racist programme on tv in terms of accurately reflecting the local population
    Definite BAME under-representation there.
    Yes I find that quite incredible. The lack of offence taken by the people who wanted (the far more accurate) Midsomer Murders producer hung, drawn and quartered is bewildering.
    No BAME in our village of 1000 people in the Home Counties.

We once had a black person but he did have a hyphenated name.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In Michael Martin's case 22 supporting Carswell's motion was enough. But I don't think the feelings of disgust and embarrassment that he generated are so prevalent this time.
  • Options
    I vote for Jeremy Corbyn to become the new Speaker.
  • Options
    RobD said:

America's new top prosecutor, Jeff Sessions, has said the US must bring an end to illegal immigration, as he was sworn in at the White House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38923511

Woohoo, I snuck in the day before he was appointed. :D
    Snuck = Americanism!
  • Options
    I'll just leave this for the pronunciation debate: "Nike".

My grandfather pronounced "Peugeot" as "Pyew-jot", which I thought very odd, but my other half does exactly the same thing.

But on such questions, my grandmother could not be defeated. At Sunday tea, she once asked the table: "would you like an Ecc-les cake?" There was a pause. Then she said: "I know some people call them Eccles cakes. But I say Ecc-les cakes." There's no arguing with that.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

There is no possibility of Bercow going. Duddridge is a total nonentity who will attract minimal support. Bercow will be defended by all of the opposition members particularly Labour and SNP and a bigger percentage of the Tories than he commanded when elected.

He will see off the challenge effortlessly and if you can get any price on him staying into 2018 then take it.

I would not agree. "Winning" in this case does not mean 51%.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Doubt it – in fact I can’t work out why the Young Turk is still hanging around the commons like a bad smell. – Surely his time has gone and a more worthwhile career beckons…
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

Clive Lewis has published his resignation letter, complete with the authentic spelling mistakes you'd expect from someone tipped as a future Labour leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/09/corbyn-dismisses-claims-he-has-set-date-for-resigning-as-fake-news-politics-live

* According to Clive.

Sorry you are right. They didn't promote him because he was crap, and he said it was because he was black

Maybe Regional BBC News try to reflect their audience. My regional news is BBC London and they seem to do that pretty well, intentionally or not.

EastEnders, on the other hand, is the most racist programme on tv in terms of accurately reflecting the local population
    Yes I find that quite incredible. The lack of offence taken by the people who wanted (the far more accurate) Midsomer Murders producer hung, drawn and quartered is bewildering.
    The Tory candidate for Chippenham in 2010 is a farmer and businessman from Devon/Cornwall who sells products under the label 'The Black Farmer', as apparently that's what he became known as when he moved to the area, for probably obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Wait a moment!

Labour should support the No Confidence motion, then connive with the Conservatives to get Corbyn made Speaker, then have another No Confidence motion :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Tory MP: "Bercow is more than welcome to pontificate on policy. But it is time he does so from the Labour benches in the House of Lords."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Tory MP: "Bercow is more than welcome to pontificate on policy. But it is time he does so from the Labour benches in the House of Lords."

He'd still be an MP, wouldn't he?

• Options
    Mr. Meeks, my grandpa's second wife once pronounced it 'pew joh', although I'm not sure if that was normal or she was being silly.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Doubt it – in fact I can’t work out why the Young Turk is still hanging around the commons like a bad smell. – Surely his time has gone and a more worthwhile career beckons…
    Perhaps no job offers have been forthcoming....
  • Options
    edited February 2017

My grandfather pronounced "Peugeot" as "Pyew-jot", which I thought very odd, but my other half does exactly the same thing.

But on such questions, my grandmother could not be defeated. At Sunday tea, she once asked the table: "would you like an Ecc-les cake?" There was a pause. Then she said: "I know some people call them Eccles cakes. But I say Ecc-les cakes." There's no arguing with that.

I drive a Purr shjoh too oh sev en.
  • Options

There was an Peugeot advert I saw repeatedly the other day, voiced by a Scottish actor who pronounced it Purr-joh
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017

Scott_P said:

Is it not convention that you automatically go to the lord's as a cross bencher after you leave role as speaker?
  • Options
    Oh, and it's Nike, to rhyme with mike, tyke, dyke, bike, like, hike, pike. Why some refer to 'nik-ee' is beyond me. But then, I don't get why some people have decided the final letter of Porsche needs pronouncing either.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

There was an Peugeot advert I saw repeatedly the other day, voiced by a Scottish actor who pronounced it Purr-joh
    Purr-joh is almost correct, but there is a definite 'sh' (Like the start of the chinese 'zhong') in there too.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I presume they are suggesting if he does the honourable thing and resigns he'll be given a Peerage at some point as Speakers generally are. Although reference to it being on the Labour benches is curious in that case.
  • Options

Elected as "speaker unopposed". If he's not speaker...
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

* According to Clive.

The rate of murder in Midsomer is more like Chicago projects than a english village.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Is it not convention that you automatically go to the lord's as a cross bencher after you leave role as speaker?
    Yes. Speakers can not go back to being a party political MP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Purr-joh is almost correct, but there is a definite 'sh' (Like the start of the chinese 'zhong') in there too.

Not if you're Scottish. There is no R in Peugeot
  • Options

Faydun Boyz!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Since when has Bercow been one for convention?

Though I suspect he wouldn't turn down the ermine.
  • Options

Oh, and it's Nike, to rhyme with mike, tyke, dyke, bike, like, hike, pike. Why some refer to 'nik-ee' is beyond me. But then, I don't get why some people have decided the final letter of Porsche needs pronouncing either.

The final e is pronounced in Germany, where the vehicles come from.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

QTWTAIN?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Here we go: Alec Shelbrooke: "I will put my name to any document. John Bercow has brought the Speaker's office into disrepute."
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2017
    Bercow has already said he is retiring next year so I'm not really sure what is the point of this but presumably Duddridge has had some encouragement from ministers. In the medium term, replacing the relatively pro-backbench Bercow with a government lackey might not be as popular as some hope on the Conservative benches.

On the plus side, we can bet on it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

I can't imagine his "order" would be anywhere near as good as Hoyle's was yesterday.
    That was great. SNP ought to be ashamed of themselves for singing like a rabble choir.
  • Options

Greek Goddess of Victory, innit.

Then there's the question whether it should be "nicky" or "ny-key".
  • Options
    Take your pick...

@cgwOMT: There is no majority in the House of Commons to remove the Speaker, and the attempt tabled this evening will fail.

@politicshome: NEW: Tory MP who tabled no confidence motion says John Bercow will be gone by the end of Commons recess next Monday bit.ly/2k7LglC pic.twitter.com/3EZNN8pBIe
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    kle4 said:

If the government cannot win a motion of no confidence against the Speaker (and it is obviously for their benefit that such a motion would be made), surely they'd have done better to ensure one was not moved? Even if they vote for Bercow or mass abstain, most of those who vote against him will be Tories, hardly endearing them to a man already showing he wants to hit the government when he feels he can.

The "government" will not initiate a motion of no confidence in the Speaker. It would be a matter for The House and depend on a move by an MP.

• Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, so what? Do you visit Cologne or Koln? Do you pronounce Paris without the S?

If I bought an assault rifle in Germany I'd call it an assault rifle, not a Sturmgewehr.

[Yes, I'm missing two umlauts, not sure how to quickly get them done here].

Mr. kle4, but did that happen to Martin, and did it happen to the chap in 1695 who lost a No Confidence motion?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099

Mortimer said:

What worthwhile career exists for a traitorous (to his brother) failed leftish labour leader? He can hardly take a high income city job and there aren't many international charities willing to pay top dollar (his brother found about the only one that does)..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Here we go: Alec Shelbrooke: "I will put my name to any document. John Bercow has brought the Speaker's office into disrepute."

Who?
  • Options

It's pronounced Eccles ("ɛkəlz" in the international phonetic alphabet).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Are they going to unveil anyone who isn't a headbanging Eurosceptic?
  • Options
    If Bercow has to leave Commons at the end of his time as Speaker, the government will surely back the motion of no confidence as it will lead to its majority increasing following a by-election in Buckingham.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Erskine May 24th edition page 64-65

When the Speaker retires in the course of a session, his decision is announced in a formal statement and the thanks of the House for his services are expressed, and a new Speaker elected, on later days. When he vacates his office he has usually been created a peer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If Bercow is to go, that might well be the principle reason - he cannot defend not discussing his intent with the Lord Speaker first, even if he felt justified in a statement of some kind, and which the house broadly accepted.
    I can't understand[*] why he didn't say "at present no request for President Trump to make such an address has been made; if and when such a request is made, it needs the approval of the Lord Speaker and Lord High Chamberlain as well as my own approval. However, I would be minded not to grant such an approval because ..."

[*] Actually, I can. It's because he's a preening, self-righteous, silly little man.
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

* According to Clive.

Hypenated names now usually just mean born out of wedlock. It long since ceased to be a posh thing.

• Options
    Mr. Meeks, humbug!

Do you (or others, generally) pronounce Julius Caesar as Yoolius Kaiser?

Mr. P, doubt Bercow's going to lose a vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

When the Speaker retires in the course of a session, his decision is announced in a formal statement and the thanks of the House for his services are expressed, and a new Speaker elected, on later days. When he vacates his office he has usually been created a peer.
    Stop showing off your own personal copy of Erskine May. Some of us are a tad jealous! :D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Take your pick...

@cgwOMT: There is no majority in the House of Commons to remove the Speaker, and the attempt tabled this evening will fail.

@politicshome: NEW: Tory MP who tabled no confidence motion says John Bercow will be gone by the end of Commons recess next Monday bit.ly/2k7LglC pic.twitter.com/3EZNN8pBIe

Both could well be correct.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Sky and BBC on an all day marathon of disaster that is the NHS. Journalist feading doctors with inviting and helpful suggestions and every statistic indicating the end of the NHS.

There are serious problems in the NHS and in particular with the lack of joined up thinking with Social care but I fail to see how it is helped by journalists and cameras being use to distract staff working and generally getting in their way.

Interesting that the NHS does not feature in the 10 most popular stories on the BBC web page.

The MSM are running the risk of making the NHS a 'switch off' story and doing the opposite of what they are trying to achieve. They must cover NHS issues but day after day they only have the one story and it is almost always the catastrophe that is the English NHS, rather than the Welsh and Scots NHS which are worse

As Leader of the Opposition, before the '15 Election, Ed Miliband gave a presentation to the BBC on how he would "weaponise" the problems of the NHS as a political tool. The Beeb is taking his advice.

• Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Stop showing off your own personal copy of Erskine May. Some of us are a tad jealous! :D
    I get very few opportunities to show off in such a way - for some reason outside of here people think its sad when I tell them.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

LEAVE 494
    REMAIN 122

:innocent:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    He asked for it. He will survive the vote I suspect but it may wound him beyond repair. The House deserves someone less enamoured of themselves than Bercow.
    Great man. He should fuck this government in public.
  • Options

That's as nothing to the correct spelling of your Christian name. Probably the foulest deed pulled at the font.
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

* According to Clive.

Hypenated names now usually just mean born out of wedlock. It long since ceased to be a posh thing.

In 21st Century England it is more of a black/mixed race thing I reckon. Certainly in footballers
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Scott_P said:

Take your pick...

Duddridge is a fool. Bercow will win any vote easily. have they not learnt from their previous machinations to keep him out of the Chair. That being said he's still a self-important, pompous twit though.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    He asked for it. He will survive the vote I suspect but it may wound him beyond repair. The House deserves someone less enamoured of themselves than Bercow.
    Great man. He should fuck this government in public.
    How would you like it if the tables were reversed? Probably not very much!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

QTWTAIN?
    I'm just trying to work out why he is raising his profile again. Obvs not to get back into the Shad Cam.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Moggster for Speaker!

Has to be a Labour MP next.

Chris Bryant has been training for the role with points of order and in debates on constitutional issues.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: LabLords leader Baroness Smith: "Lords, as always, will challenge/scrutinise legislation put before us; if necessary will pass amendments"..

@faisalislam: B. Smith: "we will not be cowed by threats of abolition or flooding place with 100s of new Tory Peers. stakes too high & we'll do our duty.”

Committing hari-kiri.

Some Tory said privately that if the Lords plays funny then the HoL will be abolished.

Brilliant. Let's do it then.
  • Options

#But then, I don't get why some people have decided the final letter of Porsche needs pronouncing either.

Because it's German, not French, Mr Dancer.
  • Options

Chris Bryant has been training for the role with points of order and in debates on constitutional issues.

Is that true? I thought it wasn't the rule up until a couple of speakers ago. Hardly convention!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You were totally wrong about Bercow, and David Herdson absolutely right.

A period of silence from you on the subject of the Speaker would be appropriate.
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, so what? Do you visit Cologne or Koln? Do you pronounce Paris without the S?

If I bought an assault rifle in Germany I'd call it an assault rifle, not a Sturmgewehr.

[Yes, I'm missing two umlauts, not sure how to quickly get them done here].

Mr. kle4, but did that happen to Martin, and did it happen to the chap in 1695 who lost a No Confidence motion?

Though I may well demonstrate Schadenfreude when my panzers blitz their way to gotterdamerung...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

QTWTAIN?
    I'm just trying to work out why he is raising his profile again. Obvs not to get back into the Shad Cam.
    He *was* the Shad Cam... ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The Speaker should surely have the confidence of the whole house. If he wins the no confidence vote but with a clearly-divided house then he should follow Thatcher's footsteps and resign..
    Screw the government. If there is a motion of NC, then even winning by one vote will be legitimate.
  • Options
    isam said:

Faydun Boyz!
    'Ain-olt!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I can't understand[*] why he didn't say "at present no request for President Trump to make such an address has been made; if and when such a request is made, it needs the approval of the Lord Speaker and Lord High Chamberlain as well as my own approval. However, I would be minded not to grant such an approval because ..."

[*] Actually, I can. It's because he's a preening, self-righteous, silly little man.
    What other answer can there be? He could have made a statement any number of ways saying the same thing with far less division. Here's another one:

Many members have concerns about President Trump making an address to parliament, concerns which I confess I share. As such, should a request be made, I would convey those concerns very carefully with the Lord Speaker and Lord High Chamberlain so that the views of this house are known prior to any decision.

I still don't know that the nuclear option, removing him so soon in direct response, is a good idea though. He has already diminished his position, would this action diminish the role itself further?
  • Options
    The motion tonight surely has no chance of passing. But if less than half the House votes to oppose the motion Bercow's position is surely untenable. A Speaker cannot survive on partisan support.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, and I'm not German. If I were speaking it, I'd pronounce Porsche the way they do, and when I speak English (which is rather more common) I pronounce it the way it should be pronounced in English.
  • Options

That would lead to the continuation of the recent trend in degradation of the standards of dress worn by the Speaker!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

That's as nothing to the correct spelling of your Christian name. Probably the foulest deed pulled at the font.

Knew a girl at college named after the Goddess. She pronounced it nikay. Often wondered if she changed her name when the shoes came around. She was rather posh!
  • Options

isam said:

Faydun Boyz!
    'Ain-olt!
    via Newbury Park.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: LabLords leader Baroness Smith: "Lords, as always, will challenge/scrutinise legislation put before us; if necessary will pass amendments"..

@faisalislam: B. Smith: "we will not be cowed by threats of abolition or flooding place with 100s of new Tory Peers. stakes too high & we'll do our duty.”

Committing hari-kiri.

Some Tory said privately that if the Lords plays funny then the HoL will be abolished.

Brilliant. Let's do it then.
    Excellent! Soon we will have the 1983 Labour manifesto in full, courtesy of a Tory government...
  • Options

If Bercow has to leave Commons at the end of his time as Speaker, the government will surely back the motion of no confidence as it will lead to its majority increasing following a by-election in Buckingham.

Depends who takes over as Speaker.
  • Options
    Mr. L, we may be able to find out the truth of that statement.

Mr. kle4, you could argue that if he were thrown overboard it would strongly reinforce the importance of neutrality and not wading into partisan politics.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ken Clarke! Immense experience of government and opposition, not a party automaton, widely respected, and retiring in 2020 so a perfect stop gap Speaker.
  • Options

Mr. L, we may be able to find out the truth of that statement.

Mr. kle4, you could argue that if he were thrown overboard it would strongly reinforce the importance of neutrality and not wading into partisan politics.

That would depend how partisan the process of selecting a replacement was.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    The Speaker should surely have the confidence of the whole house. If he wins the no confidence vote but with a clearly-divided house then he should follow Thatcher's footsteps and resign..
    Screw the government. If there is a motion of NC, then even winning by one vote will be legitimate.
    LEAVE won the referendum by a million votes...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    No it won't not when the Speaker is supposed to be a non-partisan position supported [and opposed] equally by both sides.

Would you find it equally legitimate if Bercow retires next year as scheduled and is replaced by a very partisan Tory - say David Davis perhaps - who proceeds to be a pro-government partisan through his entire period but commands the support of a majority plus one of Parliament entirely drawn from the government benches?

Partisan speakers would inevitably go down the route of being pro-government speakers as it is the government that commands the majority of the Commons. Are you serious that you find that acceptable?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The motion tonight surely has no chance of passing. But if less than half the House votes to oppose the motion Bercow's position is surely untenable. A Speaker cannot survive on partisan support.

Bercow's most ardent support comes from the SNP. They relish his shameless tomfoolery.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You were totally wrong about Bercow, and David Herdson absolutely right.

A period of silence from you on the subject of the Speaker would be appropriate.
    I'm very happy to be in the same camp as JackW on this one.

It was outrageous for the government to offer a state visit to Donald Trump without consulting with any of the potentially interested parties on whose behalf it was issuing the invitation. Outrageous and inept.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That seems worst of both worlds - he's still there but the Tories cannot pretend they are not his enemy now and he will subtly act accordingly.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    No it won't not when the Speaker is supposed to be a non-partisan position supported [and opposed] equally by both sides.

Would you find it equally legitimate if Bercow retires next year as scheduled and is replaced by a very partisan Tory - say David Davis perhaps - who proceeds to be a pro-government partisan through his entire period but commands the support of a majority plus one of Parliament entirely drawn from the government benches?

Partisan speakers would inevitably go down the route of being pro-government speakers as it is the government that commands the majority of the Commons. Are you serious that you find that acceptable?
    The partisanship is being brought by the government - so leave that shit out! Bercow criticised Trump and correctly. He is a hero.
  • Options

Depends who takes over as Speaker.
    It won't affect the majority either way as the three Deputy Speakers are chosen so that one is from the Speaker's former party and the other two from the other side of the House.

So if a Labour MP other than Natascha Engel or Lindsay Hoyle is chosen as Speaker, at most one of those two could remain a Deputy Speaker.
  • Options

No it won't since the Speaker is cancelled out in not voting by a non-voting Deputy Speaker from the party that the Speaker was not elected from.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Morris_Dancer - but Porche is Dr Porche's name. You wouldn't correct a person's way of saying his own name?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/jgforsyth/status/829758114396241920

That seems worst of both worlds - he's still there but the Tories cannot pretend they are not his enemy now and he will subtly act accordingly.
    I think that ship sailed last year with the previous attempt to remove him!
This discussion has been closed.