Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s Clive Lewisn’t a member of the shadow cabinet anymore and

2»

Comments

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    DavidL said:

Leicester have finally remembered what to do with that weird round thing the other side have been insisting on kicking about for the last few months.

Millwall next.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

DavidL said:

I thought that most of the whips/shepherds were running free tonight and voting the other way.
    Corbyn made the mistake of appointing masochists instead of sadists.
    I think being a masochist is an essential requirement for being a Labour whip these days.
  • Options

Reports of a large explosion on the Paris metro. Initial report is electrical fault.

Shit.

That was exactly what they said on 7/7.
    Let's not jump to conclusions.
    I hope it's just a coincidence.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027

Good news PBers. I've written a thread on AV that will be published either tomorrow or Friday. It's not a magnum opus though, a very brief piece.

Is the AV Thread Klaxon louder than the Scottish Tory Surge one, I wonder?
  • Options
    And it's off to the House of Peers. Let's see what they do to it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It feels like a matter of when not if Corbyn goes before the general election.

Well Lewis needs to challenge him, and win first.

That is the only way I can see him going.

McDonnell ain't going to get enough noms, mastermind and 33 others can't be that thick - or can they xD ?
    If you told the PLP 'Corbyn agrees to step down as leader now if you agree to nominate his preferred choice as leader' they'd agree to it in a heartbeat.
    And if that preferred choice is Abbot?
    I never got on those Labour sub 20% bets. I'll be regretting that if its Abbot. Anyway she doesn't have the necessary 'equipment' to become leader.
    I don't recall any of those odds being remotely close to value.
    In reality UKIP simply hasn't shown enough strength to make Labour look like they're heading sub 20.
    they won't even be sub 25. No alternatives, Union power, dim loyal voters
    Flattery will get you nowhere fellow Dixie.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good news PBers. I've written a thread on AV that will be published either tomorrow or Friday. It's not a magnum opus though, a very brief piece.

Is the AV Thread Klaxon louder than the Scottish Tory Surge one, I wonder?
    No 2 AV: 68%
    Yes 2 AV: 32%

:innocent:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    I suppose we expect Boris to be inconsistent and without principles. So we're more excited about Clive Lewis.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jobabob said:

Reports of a large explosion on the Paris metro. Initial report is electrical fault.

Oh god. Now you have done it. The entire thread will now be taken up by frothing nutters speculating about the name of the electrician.
    Yet not one post like that - one saying lets not jump to conclusions but that is all.

Wrong again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

£850 looking to back Chuka at 27/1

I'm guessing someone on here who laid him right out before

Chuka is worth a punt, he is sensibly staying out of it at the moment and letting Lewis be the latest kamikaze to take on the Corbyn machine. He knows that until Corbyn/McDonnell are defeated at a general election there is little point taking on Corbynism
    Chuka will be worth a punt once any of the pre-requisites come to pass, and not before. But for me he is "the field" - if you'd laid him now would be a good point to even out.
    Yes, this is the time to back him
    He appears to have most of what it takes to become a future Labour leader, but does he have the necessary and all imprtant bottle? Given the number of possible runners and riders, I think I'd require better odds than 27/1 to be persuaded to back back him, but he's certainly worth watching.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Clive Lewis? You have to be joking,

Yes, he used to be on the telly here in Norfolk on regional news although few can remember anything he said. But it all went wrong for him at the beeb when he 'came out' as a party candidate for Labour. This was incompatible with the neutral status of the BBC.

So a problem developed: The on-screen reporters were paid more than the back-office wonks and techies. But he couldn't be on screen any more. And they couldn't fire him. So he was shifted to the back office.... but on a front office salary. And because back-office duties like making the tea didn't excite him, he became lazy, whilst trousering double pay. And his actions and attitude didn;t endear himself to anyone. In fact, quite the reverse.

No wonder the BBC has it in for him, They have long memories. Stand-by for lots of juicy stories about him that have been kept in reserve from his former comrades from the turnip fields in Norfolk. oh yes!

Bunnco - Your Man on the Spot
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    So is this the conclusion of the Gina Miller legal challenge episode? As a result of her challenge, she has given Brexit an extra layer of legitimacy (both a referendum result AND a parliamentary majority in favour), engendered an unprecedented display of unity in the Conservative Party, and made the PLP look a ridiculous shambles. So maybe not completely the outcome she was hoping for. OTOH, she has probably increased the likelihood of a Labour Party leader other than Jeremy Corbyn by the time of the next election, which I suppose she probably welcomes.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Simon Richards ‏@simplysimontfa
    A great Liberal Leader, Lloyd George, fought the unelected Lords; in calling on peers 2 oppose Commons & people @timfarron shames Liberalism
  • Options

Simon Richards ‏@simplysimontfa
    A great Liberal Leader, Lloyd George, fought the unelected Lords; in calling on peers 2 oppose Commons & people @timfarron shames Liberalism

Tim Farron has picked an absolutely ridiculous place to stand his ground.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    bunnco said:

Yes, he used to be on the telly here in Norfolk on regional news although few can remember anything he said. But it all went wrong for him at the beeb when he 'came out' as a party candidate for Labour. This was incompatible with the neutral status of the BBC.

So a problem developed: The on-screen reporters were paid more than the back-office wonks and techies. But he couldn't be on screen any more. And they couldn't fire him. So he was shifted to the back office.... but on a front office salary. And because back-office duties like making the tea didn't excite him, he became lazy, whilst trousering double pay. And his actions and attitude didn;t endear himself to anyone. In fact, quite the reverse.

No wonder the BBC has it in for him, They have long memories. Stand-by for lots of juicy stories about him that have been kept in reserve from his former comrades from the turnip fields in Norfolk. oh yes!

And in the end when they sacked him he said it was cos bbc was racist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Cookie said:

So is this the conclusion of the Gina Miller legal challenge episode? As a result of her challenge, she has given Brexit an extra layer of legitimacy (both a referendum result AND a parliamentary majority in favour)

A sterling service and helped clarify an important principle. Whatever her hopes may or may not have been re MPs defying the popular vote, it did not even delay anything, so the whole case was well worth having.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2017
    A Lewis leadership challenge would fracture the Labour left whatever the outcome. What way would Paul Mason vote? There'd possibly be scope for a Labour moderate to come through the middle.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

So is this the conclusion of the Gina Miller legal challenge episode? As a result of her challenge, she has given Brexit an extra layer of legitimacy (both a referendum result AND a parliamentary majority in favour), engendered an unprecedented display of unity in the Conservative Party, and made the PLP look a ridiculous shambles. So maybe not completely the outcome she was hoping for. OTOH, she has probably increased the likelihood of a Labour Party leader other than Jeremy Corbyn by the time of the next election, which I suppose she probably welcomes.

And made some lawyers even richer...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,300

Cookie said:

And made some lawyers even richer...
    I won't feel a sense of closure until they resolve the central issue of the pronunciation of De Keyser.
  • Options
    Joe Murphy ‏@JoeMurphyLondon
    Bercow could lose right to veto foreign guests, as Lord Fowler seeks reform and bemoans lack of "effort to reach consensus" by HoC Speaker
  • Options
    Dianne Abbott sounds like a hostage been forced to give a TV statement on newsnight.
  • Options
    bunnco said:

Good to see you making one of your all too few guest appearances Bunnco.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Line reopened in Paris.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Artist said:

A Lewis leadership challenge would fracture the Labour left whatever the outcome. What way would Paul Mason vote? There'd possibly be scope for a Labour moderate to come through the middle.

How would that work as it's a run-off system (a la French president)? You'd expect a leftie to make the final two?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jobabob said:

Oh god. Now you have done it. The entire thread will now be taken up by frothing nutters speculating about the name of the electrician.
    Yet not one post like that - one saying lets not jump to conclusions but that is all.

Wrong again
    I refer you to Three Quidder's post just before I fired my warning shot....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Peter Hain isn't going to vote for A50 bill unless he gets his amendments saying this is just like tax credits battle.
  • Options

Joe Murphy ‏@JoeMurphyLondon
    Bercow could lose right to veto foreign guests, as Lord Fowler seeks reform and bemoans lack of "effort to reach consensus" by HoC Speaker

Perhaps Bercow's method of reform is to try to do something in a manifestly prat like way, so people realise it needs to change - he tried to appoint someone unqualified for half the role of Clerk, so the role would be split, and then rather than any number of more reasonable tones he could have taken on the foreign visitor issue he grandstands and doesn't consult his fellow, so it will get taken away from him.

The alternative is he chose to make no effort at consensus, even token effort, which would have been easy to do while making the same point he did make.
  • Options
    I don't believe she minds what he says- given he was always unpopular, until such times as he is proven right, she will be glad to have him them to contrast herself with, so slaps down is probably not right - she'll want him to keep popping up.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: Hain: The £350m to the NHS was a lie
    Fernandes: No it wasn't
    Hain: Oh you'll promise it now then?
    Fernandes: ... (silence)
    #Newsnight
  • Options
    If Peter Hain opinion is more widely held in the house of lords there is going to be big trouble at mill.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

#Newsnight

How can Fernandes promise it ?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Scott_P said:

#Newsnight

Christ alive, the £350m for the NHS business is getting tedious now.
  • Options

If Peter Hain opinion is more widely held in the house of lords there is going to be big trouble at mill.

Many in the Lords themselves want reform of the chamber, I have no doubt, but I doubt they want open war between themselves and the commons, and the arrangements for future parliamentary scrutiny and governance that would be forged in such a bloodletting, as would occur if they persistently held up the bill. They will be pilloried if they pass some amendments, the press will be out for their heads, but if it is only a small number, which the commons overturn and the lords do not press the issue too much, do not extend the period of ping pong, then they will have made as much of it as they can and can say they tried, while ultimately deferring as they must to the lower chamber, and the furore will pass.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    The Lords needs to go.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Scott_P said:

#Newsnight

Carswell had a new line today, tailor made for you: devolved power for Essex!
  • Options
    Not sure why they think the poll is sobering, it doesn't seem surprising in the least.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Calm down, dear.

Only another 25 years to go...
  • Options
    Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit
    When Remoaners say that "only" 52% of the people voted for #Brexit, remind them that 80% of MPs also did. #Article50Bill
  • Options
    How many refugees has Nicola housed personally?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    While I disagree with the action, the BBC says the amendment to legislation did not specify a target number to be resettled, though the proposer of the amendment and supporters had 'suggested' 3000. Which if true would mean there was never an 'agreement' to resettle 3000 which has been broken and so the sub heading may be a bit misleading. Still a very low number though to have been helped though, seems like more should be possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38912428
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

Calm down, dear.

LEAVE 494
    REMAIN 122

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

Artist said:

How would that work as it's a run-off system (a la French president)? You'd expect a leftie to make the final two?
    Would Corbyn supporters give their second preference to someone who betrayed him and triggered the leadership contest? Likewise Lewis supporters are those who may want a new leader. The moderate candidate would be someone from the soft left like Nandy, not a Blairite.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Lords needs to go.

The Lords is the world's only Upper House bigger than its respective Lower House.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    The interesting thing is trump doesn't link to the research - he links to a media writeup of the research.

However, it does seem to be a genuine (although, online) poll from a reputable agency. There's clearly a lot of Muslim fear among older, less-educated europeans.
  • Options

How many refugees has Nicola housed personally?
    Housing refugees is not as simple as finding any random person, whatever their status, and asking if they've got a spare room. Even if she would be happy to there may be reasons why it is not reasonable.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

Calm down, dear.

Is that the length of time you expect the NHS to take to cure the butthurt epidemic affecting 48% of the population?
  • Options

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit
    When Remoaners say that "only" 52% of the people voted for #Brexit, remind them that 80% of MPs also did. #Article50Bill

I'll leave that to Sunil.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Scott_P said:

#Newsnight

Carswell had a new line today, tailor made for you: devolved power for Essex!
    About time!
  • Options
    Artist said:

Jobabob said:

Artist said:

Would Corbyn supporters give their second preference to someone who betrayed him and triggered the leadership contest? Likewise Lewis supporters are those who may want a new leader. The moderate candidate would be someone from the soft left like Nandy, not a Blairite.
    Yes, okay, take that point about a challenger from the left being seen as treacherous. Interesting.
  • Options

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

True Remoaners tend to say 37%.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

True Remoaners tend to say 37%.
    You mean like this guy ;-)

Hand of GOD ‏@HandofGOD7
    "Blub blub.. Brexit.. unfair.. blub..I'm illiberal.. Brexit.. Blub blub.. I ignore democracy.. blub blub.. I'm @timfarron.. Blub.."
    #Brexit

• Options
    @NickCohen4: Not sure the excuse "I thought Brexit would be a disaster but bit my tongue for a quiet life" will play as well in 2018 as it does now
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

£850 looking to back Chuka at 27/1

I'm guessing someone on here who laid him right out before

Chuka is worth a punt, he is sensibly staying out of it at the moment and letting Lewis be the latest kamikaze to take on the Corbyn machine. He knows that until Corbyn/McDonnell are defeated at a general election there is little point taking on Corbynism
    Chuka will be worth a punt once any of the pre-requisites come to pass, and not before. But for me he is "the field" - if you'd laid him now would be a good point to even out.
    Yes, this is the time to back him
    He appears to have most of what it takes to become a future Labour leader, but does he have the necessary and all imprtant bottle? Given the number of possible runners and riders, I think I'd require better odds than 27/1 to be persuaded to back back him, but he's certainly worth watching.
    Chuka, probably correctly, certainly can't be bothered to even try until after Labour lose the next general election. Once Corbyn or whichever Corbynista replaces him loses then he will need to show he is in it to win it and the Labour Party must finally have the hunger to win again too
  • Options
    Standard Operating Procedure now would be the appearance in the media of damaging stories about Clive Lewis. If they appear, it's safe to lay him at the current odds. If they don't, and especially if some of Corbyn's circle pop up with comments favourable towards Lewis, it might not be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

I'll leave that to Sunil.
    REMAIN 494
    LEAVE 122

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

What a stupid remark.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

What a stupid remark.
    Exactly - it's 76% :)

494/650 = 0.76 (76%).
  • Options

Twat gotta twat.

I've been living through changes and I could swing for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8brlUfhwBk
  • Options
    Sarah Palin considered as US Ambassador to Canada
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/829463818807934977
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Yes Brexit! ‏@YesBrexit

What a stupid remark.
    Do you remember the remark you made about wanting our country and people to suffer because of brexit.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Leicester have finally remembered what to do with that weird round thing the other side have been insisting on kicking about for the last few months.

Gray and Ndidi were our best players on Sunday, they earned and deserved their goals tonight. Good crowd for a mid week replay match. Some of these reserves deserve a start or two.

Swansea away on Sunday is the big match. Then we will see if tbey really have their mojo back.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

She can see Canada from her house.
  • Options

Twat gotta twat.

twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/829450060240924672

Too many twats make a tweet?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, she does not have to move too far from Alaska that is true
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

She'll sort out those left wingin', pseudo wringin' Trudeau bringers with their maples, mounties and their poutine...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Thankfully her point of entry is into Yukon Territory - a province where almost no one lives. Which is a mercy on the Canadians.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Twat gotta twat.

Trump's found another poll.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829451566000242688
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/829425945538920450

Maybe he was just trying to sell her a new washing machine? :smiley:
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Thankfully her point of entry is into Yukon Territory - a province where almost no one lives. Which is a mercy on the Canadians.
    Yes, though I don't think they will be lucky enough to have the US Embassy moved there from Ottawa
  • Options

RobD said:

Twat gotta twat.

LOL - ego, much?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

RobD said:

Twat gotta twat.

Republicans distrust of the media stems from their huge cultural losses.
  • Options
    Pong said:

The interesting thing is trump doesn't link to the research - he links to a media writeup of the research.

However, it does seem to be a genuine (although, online) poll from a reputable agency. There's clearly a lot of Muslim fear among older, less-educated europeans.
    "less educated" lol - yes thats right blame the poll on stupidity.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

Calm down, dear.

25 years I can cope with - its the 25k (re)tweets from you over the next 3 years that worry me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096
    edited February 2017
    Floater said:

Pong said:

"less educated" lol - yes thats right blame the poll on stupidity.
    Older voters who didn't get the chance to pay to study travel and tourism at a converted poly
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    CSPAN
    The Senate has been in session since noon Monday; only one other session longer; more than 125 hours in 1960. https://t.co/xbWW6AKKp8
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Tears, tantrums and "Ode To Joy"...

Just another crazy Night in Westminster.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,179

Mississippi considering firing squad as alternative to lethal injections

http://news.sky.com/story/mississippi-considering-firing-squad-as-alternative-to-lethal-injections-10760701

Sod it. Just go straight to guillotine. Cheap as chips, one moving part, can be made in a school metalworking shop
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think he has to be just taking the piss now.

"Hey Canada, you've been bad mouthing me all week, so sad. Here's Sarah Palin as your new ambassador."
  • Options
    French editor of the Daily Beast predicts Le Pen will win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzVLkOaPimk
  • Options
    Sessions confirmed by a 52-47 vote. One senator voted “present.”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718
    edited February 2017
    FPT for @Nunu
    nunu said:

Nigelb said:

nunu said:
    That's been the case for centuries; why do you think slavery was not mentioned in the US Constitution ?

The USA is a nation founded on genocide and slavery. The significance of this in the manifestation of today's disparate attitudes amongst its population, is the very large elephant in the very large room.
    Jamil Smith ‏@JamilSmith 4h

The obscure rule used to stop @SenWarren last night was created to protect a lynching advocate in the Senate.

To protect a lynching advocate!???!?!? wtf!?
    Yup, Ben Tillman.

He once said on the floor of the senate

"We of the South have never recognized the right of the Negro to govern white men, and we never will. We have never believed him to be the equal of the white man, and we will not submit to his gratifying his lust on our wives and daughters without lynching him. I would to God the last one of them was in Africa and that none of them had ever been brought to our shores."

But he said quite a few other pro lynching stuff, in unambiguous language

http://slate.me/2krPqTU
  • Options
    A very dignified response to insults and pressure

Tennessee GOP
    .@SenatorTimScott reads tweets criticizing his endorsement of Jeff Sessions: "I left out all the ones that use the n-word."
    #ShePersisted https://t.co/XO8v79w411
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"Hey Canada, you've been bad mouthing me all week, so sad. Here's Sarah Palin as your new ambassador."
    Wonder what job kayne west is going to get?
  • Options
    Wikipedia has deemed daily mail as fake news, but RT isn't...

Wikipedia Bans Daily Mail As 'Unreliable' Source

http://m.slashdot.org/story/322277
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    viewcode said:

Mississippi considering firing squad as alternative to lethal injections

http://news.sky.com/story/mississippi-considering-firing-squad-as-alternative-to-lethal-injections-10760701

Sod it. Just go straight to guillotine. Cheap as chips, one moving part, can be made in a school metalworking shop
    garotting is cheaper and even less technical
  • Options

Another failing encyclopedia. Sad.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Another failing encyclopedia. Sad.
    Make encyclopaedias great again....leather bound ones...and think of all the jobs associated with the creation and door to door selling...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

HYUFD said:

Wonder what job kayne west is going to get?
    Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,165
    The new administration is not without a few amusing characters...
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-white-house-congress-234717
    The meeting, which is a weekly gathering and typically lasts 15-20 minutes, ended abruptly moments later after another staffer asked Conway whether she'd seen "Saturday Night Live's" lampooning of White House press secretary Sean Spicer over the weekend. Asked whether she'd laughed at the portrayal, Conway's face "turned to stone," according to another source in the room. A senior White House official said Conway didn't comment on the "SNL" video but that her face hadn't turn to stone.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,165
    Sean Spicer on Sessions:
    he has been a tireless advocate for civil rights throughout his career...

Was the ability to lie with a straight face his sole job criterion ?
This discussion has been closed.