Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s Clive Lewisn’t a member of the shadow cabinet anymore and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s Clive Lewisn’t a member of the shadow cabinet anymore and becomes favourite to succeed Corbyn

Minutes after he quit the shadow cabinet, Clive Lewis is now 5/1 favourite to be the next Labour leader… pic.twitter.com/GnXamt4bOX

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    First...Lets Make America New Threads Great Again!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    edited February 2017
    Corbyn eats 'plausible' challengers for breakfast.
  • Options
    Told Diane Abbott sat on the frontbench for some time, before Keith Vaz Jim the local washing machine salesman took her by the arm to go and vote.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Awful pun. Just awful. Afraid to say that TSE's just a failing pun machine now. Sad!
  • Options
    My favourite WTF moment tonight - the tuneless SNP Choir.

I think it even trumped Diane Abbot explaining why she voted for Article 50 through gritted teeth..
  • Options
    I've taken 989/1 on Chris Leslie in this market :) how about that for a long shot!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Well he's a far more plausible potential challenger than Owen Smith ever was.

But will he run ?

I've asked him on Tw@tter !

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/829437594173796352
  • Options
    Come on then Scott, you tell me how Goldmans liquidating an 8-man undermining fund whose managing director has resigned from his post is "despite Brexit"
  • Options

I've taken 989/1 on Chris Leslie in this market :) how about that for a long shot!

Probably about right for Chris Leslie lol - you'll never see that £2 again I'm afraid :>
  • Options
    Looks like US college "cultural appropriation" bollocks is spreading here...

http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2017/02/07/bristol-students-accused-blacking-promotional-fancy-dress-house-party-28334
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I don't see why Lewis - or anyone else - had to resign because of ignoring the Three-line Whip. There was always the precedent of Autumn 1971 to fall back on when 69 Labour MPs - including Deputy Leader Roy Jenkins - rebelled in support of the Heath Government's terms for entering the EEC. Nobody resigned - or was sacked on that occasion. Why should this be so different?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Probably about right for Chris Leslie lol - you'll never see that £2 again I'm afraid :>
    I'm prepared to get another £2 on Wes Streeting if anyone wants it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

I'm really proud of my next Labour party leader book.

I only make a loss if the next leader is Andy Burnham, David Miliband, and, Owen Smith,
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Lewis should man up now and challenge Jesbo.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

It'd be nice for my old friend "Time value of money"
  • Options
    Intel To Invest $7 Billion in Factory in Arizona, Employ 3,000 People

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/trump-meets-intel-ceo-brian-krzanich.html

5...4..3..2...1...Trump tweet
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

And allow a potential loss in Copeland or Stoke to be written off as by party apathy caused by constant leadership challenges?

For what it's worth I think they'll hold both regardless.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

I only make a loss if the next leader is Andy Burnham, David Miliband, and, Owen Smith,
    Yes, that's a fairly safe book I should have thought.

Are you backing Ed Miliband like @alastairmeeks ?
  • Options
    Well that was all fairly painless, - and now the Lords…!

Clive Lewis, there must be method in his madness, but I can’t quite work it out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

I'm plus +120 on most candidates which would be a decent return.

+2000 on Chris Leslie on the other hand...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

And allow a potential loss in Copeland or Stoke to be written off as by party apathy caused by constant leadership challenges?

For what it's worth I think they'll hold both regardless.
    The best part is that we here care far more about the Stoke or Copeland by election then they in the BEs will. Particularly Stoke, the turnout will be barely 30% in that one.
  • Options
    Apparently Clive Lewis has bought a sharp new suit, replacing the usual tweed number.

I make no further comment.
  • Options

Clive Lewis, there must be method in his madness, but I can’t quite work it out.

You are giving a man who accidentally voted the wrong way a lot of credit.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jobabob said:

Nah, he won't do it just yet. Scuppering two by-elections wouldn't be a good look.
  • Options
    £850 looking to back Chuka at 27/1

I'm guessing someone on here who laid him right out before
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Clive Lewis next up on the chopping board for Corbyn then
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

There was talk some time ago about serious health issues (mainly in connection to his significant rapid weight loss)....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

+1175 Lewis, -217.45 due to Corbyn heading off for an early bath at the moment.

So +957 overall :>
  • Options

I'm actually on him at that price – longstanding old bet. I can't see that one coming in!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

You could probably invest in the £5 membership fee just in case
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Jobabob said:

Nah, he won't do it just yet. Scuppering two by-elections wouldn't be a good look.

Oh yes, ideally after Labour lose both.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

Would be breaking party rules I'm afraid.
  • Options
    It feels like a matter of when not if Corbyn goes before the general election.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited February 2017
    Good news PBers. I've written a thread on AV that will be published either tomorrow or Friday. It's not a magnum opus though, a very brief piece.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    "It’s Clive Lewisn’t a member of the shadow cabinet anymore and becomes favourite to succeed Corbyn"

Translation, please.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017

The Tory "save ed miliband" crew will have to reform.with an updated mission statement.
  • Options

Well Lewis needs to challenge him, and win first.

That is the only way I can see him going.

McDonnell ain't going to get enough noms, mastermind and 33 others can't be that thick - or can they xD ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

It wasn't a serious suggestion, I'd never troll another party like that. Is that the yellows?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Chuka is worth a punt, he is sensibly staying out of it at the moment and letting Lewis be the latest kamikaze to take on the Corbyn machine. He knows that until Corbyn/McDonnell are defeated at a general election there is little point taking on Corbynism
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"It’s Clive Lewisn’t a member of the shadow cabinet anymore and becomes favourite to succeed Corbyn"

Translation, please.

It's one of my very very subtle puns.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Tom Watson as next Labour leader:

- Could bridge the gap between the Corbynistas and Blairites
    - Cosy with UNITE
    - Politically savvy
    - Already has a mandate as deputy leader
  • Options
    Without tangible electoral success (and merely holding on to seats in by-elections is hardly that, since governments really are not supposed to win such things), challenges or passive aggressive sniping will continue. I don't care how stubborn Corbyn is or how much backing he may still have among the base, sooner or later that becomes too much.

I am still part convinced Corbyn has taken the stance on A50 he has because he knows he is the wrong leader for labour long term, but believes Labour has to do this for future prospects - and an objectively better leader might have taken the wrong call and made the party position worse long term.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

McDonnell ain't going to get enough noms, mastermind and 33 others can't be that thick - or can they xD ?
    If you told the PLP 'Corbyn agrees to step down as leader now if you agree to nominate his preferred choice as leader' they'd agree to it in a heartbeat.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But will he run ?

It wasn't a serious suggestion, I'd never troll another party like that. Is that the yellows?
    Yes, I'm to the left on some issues (Tuition fees, very grudgingly just about pro nuclear purely for soft diplomatic reasons at the moment) to the right on others (I wouldn't vote against Art 50) - but it matches my views the closest I think.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So A50 progresses. I guess the Remaining faithful will have to see if the Lourdes can provide a miracle for them.

• Options

Good news PBers. I've written a thread on AV that will be published either tomorrow or Friday. It's not a magnum opus though, a very brief piece.

I don't know that I can trust your own judgement on whether this AV piece will be your magnum opus or not. Perhaps you could list them all and we could vote on our favourites in some kind of run off.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Translation, please.

I assumed it was a typo!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chuka is worth a punt, he is sensibly staying out of it at the moment and letting Lewis be the latest kamikaze to take on the Corbyn machine. He knows that until Corbyn/McDonnell are defeated at a general election there is little point taking on Corbynism
    Chuka will be worth a punt once any of the pre-requisites come to pass, and not before. But for me he is "the field" - if you'd laid him now would be a good point to even out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't know that I can trust your own judgement on whether this AV piece will be your magnum opus or not. Perhaps you could list them all and we could vote on our favourites in some kind of run off.
    :)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Is it?

"The EU referendum should have been held under AV. Discuss".

• Options
    Jobabob said:

surbiton said:

Translation, please.

I assumed it was a typo!
    I always end up writing "withe" rather than "with the" although I don't do it typing.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

A general election with Corbyn would be something to behold.
    The theme tune would be Eiffel 65
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

If you told the PLP 'Corbyn agrees to step down as leader now if you agree to nominate his preferred choice as leader' they'd agree to it in a heartbeat.
    Well McDonnell would be nice from a betting PoV. But it'd be frying pan/fire stuff so far as midland marginals go in particular.

@SouthamObserver is spot on about the IRA stuff in Brum.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well McDonnell would be nice from a betting PoV. But it'd be frying pan/fire stuff so far as midland marginals go in particular.
    I think the PLP, correctly in my view, think that McDonnell doesn't gird the loins of the Labour party members in the way Corbyn does.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Pulpstar said:

And if that preferred choice is Abbot?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He's more effective. Like Trump, Corbyn's position on issues only goes from poor to truly terrible by virtue of the complete cock-up being made.

However, fundamentally Labour cannot win from the left, so five more years of McDonnell - though better - would still be bad for the party.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Depends on who that person was, surely? McDonnell would be even worse. He is like Corbyn but without the charm.
  • Options

- Cosy with UNITE
    - Politically savvy

- Called Gove a 'miserable pipsqueak' in the Commons chamber
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Then some PB thread writer who tipped and backed Diane Abbott as next Labour leader at 120/1 would become even more smugger* than usual.

*Yes, I know it ain't a word.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

surbiton said:

Translation, please.

I assumed it was a typo!
    I always end up writing "withe" rather than "with the" although I don't do it typing.
    Whenever I write the name "Duncan" I always seem to write "Dunan". My theory is that when I write the "c" my brain thinks it's the start of the "a" and just carries on.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Depends on who that person was, surely? McDonnell would be even worse. He is like Corbyn but without the charm.
    He seems more authoritative and convincing on TV.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I never got on those Labour sub 20% bets. I'll be regretting that if its Abbot. Anyway she doesn't have the necessary 'equipment' to become leader.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Who's going to die in Aberdeen?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chuka will be worth a punt once any of the pre-requisites come to pass, and not before. But for me he is "the field" - if you'd laid him now would be a good point to even out.
    Yes, this is the time to back him
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the PLP, correctly in my view, think that McDonnell doesn't gird the loins of the Labour party members in the way Corbyn does.
    He could be Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

- Cosy with UNITE
    - Politically savvy

Pig Ugly.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Abbott and McDonnell would be no-can-dos.

They might accept Rebecca Long-Bailey on the basis that she is working class and female and therefore has no chance of winning with the three quidders.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Who's going to die in Aberdeen?
    Scotland would have their own election as an independent country :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I never got on those Labour sub 20% bets. I'll be regretting that if its Abbot. Anyway she doesn't have the necessary 'equipment' to become leader.
    I don't recall any of those odds being remotely close to value.
  • Options
    Is there a market on who replaces Clive at Shadow Business? I'm hearing Ed Milliband...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Wut? I tipped it in a thread header at 10/1 :lol:
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

In reality UKIP simply hasn't shown enough strength to make Labour look like they're heading sub 20.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

They're 14th in the Championship. About covers AV methinks.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jeremycorbyn: Real fight starts now. Over next two years Labour will use every opportunity to ensure Brexit protects jobs, living standards & the economy.

@NicolaSturgeon: How? You've just handed the Tories a blank cheque. You didn't win a single concession but still voted for the Bill. Pathetic. twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/s…
  • Options

Is there a market on who replaces Clive at Shadow Business? I'm hearing Ed Milliband...

Watch out BrightHouse...calls for an independent judge led inquiry will be along shortly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A better comparison would be IDS to Corbyn's Billy Hague.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jeremycorbyn: Real fight starts now. Over next two years Labour will use every opportunity to ensure Brexit protects jobs, living standards & the economy.

@NicolaSturgeon: How? You've just handed the Tories a blank cheque. You didn't win a single concession but still voted for the Bill. Pathetic. twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/s…

Wee Nicky on form as usual.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Some of us thought the real fight began prior to June 23rd 2016.
  • Options
    "Told Diane Abbott sat on the frontbench for some time, before Keith Vaz took her by the arm to go and vote. You couldn't make this stuff up."

Beautifully choreographed no doubt, having involved umpteen rehearsals.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A better comparison would be IDS to Corbyn's Billy Hague.
    No, Ed Miliband was Hague
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,012

Intel To Invest $7 Billion in Factory in Arizona, Employ 3,000 People

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/trump-meets-intel-ceo-brian-krzanich.html

5...4..3..2...1...Trump tweet

The amusing bit about that plant is that almost none of $7bn will go to American companies. ASML in the Netherlands will supply the lithography, etc etc
  • Options
    Mississippi considering firing squad as alternative to lethal injections

http://news.sky.com/story/mississippi-considering-firing-squad-as-alternative-to-lethal-injections-10760701
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Bravo. Quite right. Corbyn really is a pathetic joke.
  • Options
    Reports of a large explosion on the Paris metro. Initial report is electrical fault.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Began, was fought and won.
  • Options

AV referendum, 2011:

No 2 AV: 68%
    Yes 2 AV: 32%

:innocent:
  • Options

Reports of a large explosion on the Paris metro. Initial report is electrical fault.

Shit.

That was exactly what they said on 7/7.
  • Options

Oh god. Now you have done it. The entire thread will now be taken up by frothing nutters speculating about the name of the electrician.
  • Options

Shit.

That was exactly what they said on 7/7.
    Let's not jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,322
    I thought that most of the whips/shepherds were running free tonight and voting the other way.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm prepared to get another £2 on Wes Streeting if anyone wants it.
    My local MP :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    DavidL said:

I thought that most of the whips/shepherds were running free tonight and voting the other way.
    Corbyn made the mistake of appointing masochists instead of sadists.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Seems to be a minor incident. 2 lightly injured.

https://twitter.com/AnneLaureBanse/status/829451916543348737
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

In reality UKIP simply hasn't shown enough strength to make Labour look like they're heading sub 20.
    they won't even be sub 25. No alternatives, Union power, dim loyal voters
  • Options
    LEAVE 494
    REMAIN 122

:innocent:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,322
    Leicester have finally remembered what to do with that weird round thing the other side have been insisting on kicking about for the last few months.
This discussion has been closed.