Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s cartoon on Trump

13»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    Y0kel said:

The most successful anti ship missile of the Falklands War in terms of hit rate was probably the Sea Skua.

Plausible
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,088
    HYUFD said:

I am fond of visiting France but New Zealand fought with us in both World Wars and indeed a New Zealander fought alongside British troops in the Falklands War. France sent Exocet missiles to Argentina

Mitterand embargoed Argentine as soon as the unpleasantness kicked off. Argentina got no more AM39s than those they already had delivered. The Dassault technical support team did stay at Rio Grande throughout the conflict though rumour has that was because one them was a DGSE asset.

The Adl'A also provided Mirage IIIDA DACT for 801NAS and they allowed the use of French ports by the Corporate task force.

I don't remember New Zealand doing as much.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    AndyJS said:

Is there anything more bizarre than the Germans complaining about the United States while simultaneously expecting that country to defend them from Russia?

Is there anything more bizarre than a president of the United States pointlessly picking fights with almost all of its most important allies at the same time?

We're dealing with a ridiculous parody of a president. Someone who has managed to convince himself that his enemies enemies are his friends.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    Polly Toynbee finds Stoke Central on a knife-edge:

"The Stoke Central byelection hangs in the balance between Labour and Ukip: for either, losing on 23 February will be a calamity, causing an existential crisis – and I use that word carefully. Watch the avalanche of political obituaries for the loser."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/06/stoke-central-byelection-ukip-labour
  • Options
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

GOP Congressman Joe Wilson calls Bercow's decision 'a slap in the face of the Republican Party' especially after Churchill's bust was returned to the Oval Office and the positive meeting between May and Trump. Time to dump Bercow for the Moggster I think!

It's obvious that May is desperate for a US trade deal and is willing to pay the price of cosying up to Trump to get it. Other people are free to be honest about their opinions of him and frankly I don't give a toss that some GOP congressman is offended that some people don't like the President his party has landed us with.
    Trump is the President of our largest ally, elected by the American people themselves
    Post Brexit our largest ally will be the EU.
    By population, but not by military capacity nor size of economy.
    Defence Spending ($ million 2016)

USA: 664
    Europe: 238 (includes non-EU)
    UK: 60
    France:43
    Germany: 40
    Italy: 22
    Spain: 11

http://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2016_07/20160704_160704-pr2016-116.pdf
    Should be billion I think.

30 odd countries all spending on different things without economies of scale isn't a great way of doing things in any case.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    edited February 2017
    I'm going to file that under D for Despite Brexit. :D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I am fond of visiting France but New Zealand fought with us in both World Wars and indeed a New Zealander fought alongside British troops in the Falklands War. France sent Exocet missiles to Argentina

It's never as simple as that. The Argentinian air forces included French, Israeli, German, Italian, Brazilian, American and British aircraft firing French, Israeli and American missiles and dropping British and American bombs

Incidentally, the British also used French missiles.
    Except the French actually supplied the missiles during the conflict
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

GOP Congressman Joe Wilson calls Bercow's decision 'a slap in the face of the Republican Party' especially after Churchill's bust was returned to the Oval Office and the positive meeting between May and Trump. Time to dump Bercow for the Moggster I think!

So we dump our Speaker cos of criticism from a lawmaker of a foreign power. How patriotic! That's truly taking back control.
    No we dump our Speaker because he's betrayed everything his role stands for which is impartiality and didn't even have the courtesy of discussing this with his Lords counterpart first.
    Suggest Bercow is playing his pathetic student union antics because he's looking for a job after the speaker.

GE in May and he knows he's out on his ear.
    If so , I'll miss his pomposity.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

So we dump our Speaker cos of criticism from a lawmaker of a foreign power. How patriotic! That's truly taking back control.
    No we dump our Speaker because he's betrayed everything his role stands for which is impartiality and didn't even have the courtesy of discussing this with his Lords counterpart first.
    Suggest Bercow is playing his pathetic student union antics because he's looking for a job after the speaker.

GE in May and he knows he's out on his ear.
    If so , I'll miss his pomposity.
    Report that the visit had no intention of an address to Parliament but that there is to be an audience within Windsor Castle hosted by the Queen with an invited guest list. Awkward either way for Bercow, either he goes and is called out for hypocrisy or he doesn't go and he looks petulant. He will be the loser in this.

In all thinks 'Speaker' the guiding light should be as to how Betty Boothroyd would have dealt with the issue
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2017
    Test
This discussion has been closed.