Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » First polling on Trump’s UK visit has 49% supporting and 36% o

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jonathan said:

I am bored of all the franchises. Star Wars, Who, Bond, Marvel, Batman, Planet of the Apes. All of it.

They worked when they were Saturday afternoon flicks, but all the imposed deep meaning, fan references and expanded universes is utter bollocks.

It is squeezing out new ideas.

It's like in 1977 they had never released Star wars and stuck with the 15th sequel to the Wizard of Oz.

There was an array of counterculture at that time, but like so many times in the past the corporations swallowed it.

I enjoyed this piece of history on C4 the other night, which other PBers may enjoy. It was followed by the 2014 film Dredd. True to the original, and true the character and dystopia. Recommended.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/future-shock-the-story-of-2000ad
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT to write a SciFI novel about a right wing xenophobe travelling through space and time with barely concealed contempt for other worlds, but enjoying the wine.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

People who go on about Doctor Who, Sherlock or Star Wars are just GITS. Just stupid stupid GITS

GITS

There. I said it. What we were all thinking. Shut up you GITS.

Yeah - not like those of us who go on about politics, classical history, foreign travel, trains, cricket and F1 and the like.
    Some of us all talk about all of those, Doctor Who, Sherlock or Star Wars, politics, classical history, foreign travel, trains, cricket and F1 and the like.
    Don't forget the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017

And the 49% will be spread across most of the country while the 36% will be concentrated in some urban Labour strongholds.

'Everyone in this Crouch End coffee shop supports AV / voted Labour / backs Remain / opposes Trump so who cares what they think in Nuneaton'

36% at the 2015 general election would have been around 11 million votes. 1.8 million have signed the anti-Trump visit petition, which means an impressive 16% have signed the e-petition. By contrast only about 1.3% who support the visit have signed the e-petition, 195,000 people, (using 49% of the 2015 election votes = 15 million).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Macron v Le Pen, then. Macron is 39 years old. One is not supposed to mention that his wife is 24 years older than he is, and that they met when he was 15 and she was his school teacher. It’s the kind of thing voters claim not to notice while thinking it just a bit bizarre. Non?

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

https://reaction.life/fillon-looking-finished-french-election-looking-farcical-frightening/

Isn't this a necessity for running as POTFR? Usually a sex scandal for the right and a money scandal on the left.
    You know what; I think the fact that his wife is much older is a humanising feature about Macron. It makes me (personally) warm to him, because he clearly doesn't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks of him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

People who go on about Doctor Who, Sherlock or Star Wars are just GITS. Just stupid stupid GITS

GITS

Yeah - not like those of us who go on about politics, classical history, foreign travel, trains, cricket and F1 and the like.
    Or indeed, those of us that spend their time boasting of their sexual conquests.

Frankly, I don't need to boast. Those that are interested can just watch my LiveCam.
    [Horrified pause while the rest of PB.com reaches for the mind bleach]
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, that's not a million miles away from Sir Edric, who's a wealthy, gluttonous fellow who travels (and thieves) a lot and is filled with loathing for elves.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2017
    Re Trump and and public opinion on him (in regard to The Times comments). Most of the polling done on him has generally shown that most Brits have a negative view of him, so it's not really spin or inaccurate to suggest otherwise. Right wingers on PB aren't always representative of public opinion.

For example: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-president-wins-us-elections-world-more-dangerous-place-opinion-poll-british-public-a7413756.html?amp?client=safari
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I see the truth HURTS

Well I for one don't care. I'm not here to spare your sensibilities. It's time someone spoke truth to power and called out these so called regular watchers of family friendly TV drama for what they REALLY are.

And what are they? They are GITS.

Off course it's your fault though SeanT. You need to write some decent stuff to fill the vacuum.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Trumps ban was chaotically and arbitrarily implemented, but entirely justified by his electoral mandate.

Apart from the "maybe unlawful" bit, and the fact that they are desperate not to call it a ban, presumably because they don't have a mandate for that

https://twitter.com/blairmcdougall/status/826555171249520642
  • Options
    Mr. T, next you'll be saying you don't like Stargate: SG-1.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2017
    Just discovered @TrumpDraws . Some much needed light relief
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Macron v Le Pen, then. Macron is 39 years old. One is not supposed to mention that his wife is 24 years older than he is, and that they met when he was 15 and she was his school teacher. It’s the kind of thing voters claim not to notice while thinking it just a bit bizarre. Non?

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

https://reaction.life/fillon-looking-finished-french-election-looking-farcical-frightening/

Isn't this a necessity for running as POTFR? Usually a sex scandal for the right and a money scandal on the left.
    You know what; I think the fact that his wife is much older is a humanising feature about Macron. It makes me (personally) warm to him, because he clearly doesn't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks of him.
    I keep worrying that it's going to turn out that Macron has a bit on the side. I think that would damage him.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2017
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

I keep worrying that it's going to turn out that Macron has a bit on the side. I think that would damage him.
    You are joking aren't you ?

I always thought it was part of the job description. Have any French leaders not had a mistress ?
  • Options
    The Internet killed culture. It's just to easy to drag up a perfect copy of some ancient movie,song, book. The innovation that flowed from half remembered stories is gone. And it's is cheaper to fill time and attention with old stuff.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

As if the French really care about affairs.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Aah ... the danger of echo chambers. But isn't that why people like them? They can feel all virtuous, and even better, seem to be in the majority when they're not.

Trump does seem to have ... personality issues, but demented luvvies assuming they know best also seem to have issues too.

American Presidents do seem an odd bunch in general.

JFK - anything with a pulse, Nxon - the crook, LBJ -Vietnam, Reagan - an actor, Bill Clinton - see JFK. Dubya - where do you start?

The only ones who don't appear to be a cartoon are Jimmy Carter (Iran hostages) and Barry and they seem insipid by comparison.

It's US politics. When they pay their 250 years backlog of tea taxation, we might let them back into the Empire. Then we can civilise them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    AndyJS said:

And the 49% will be spread across most of the country while the 36% will be concentrated in some urban Labour strongholds.

'Everyone in this Crouch End coffee shop supports AV / voted Labour / backs Remain / opposes Trump so who cares what they think in Nuneaton'

36% at the 2015 general election would have been around 11 million votes. 1.8 million have signed the anti-Trump visit petition, which means an impressive 16% have signed the e-petition. By contrast only about 1.3% who support the visit have signed the e-petition, 195,000 people, (using 49% of the 2015 election votes = 15 million).
    Given UK voters back the visit by a 13% majority according to this poll the anti Trump petition can now be swiftly flung in the bin by May and Parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Given UK voters back the visit by a 13% majority according to this poll the anti Trump petition can now be swiftly flung in the bin by May and Parliament
    It would be nice to see polling from other companies, just to confirm the YouGov figures.
  • Options

Re Trump and and public opinion on him (in regard to The Times comments). Most of the polling done on him has generally shown that most Brits have a negative view of him, so it's not really spin or inaccurate to suggest otherwise. Right wingers on PB aren't always representative of public opinion.

I have a negative view of him but I do not have a negative view on the US and I suspect that view is probably the reason for the 49 - 36 favouring the State visit.

Unsurprising that Sky are not referring to this poll - if it was reversed they would be discussing it every half hour. You do wonder when the MSM will realise their World view has evaporated
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

Or he's some sicko deviant into all kinds of mega-perv bizarro sex

Yes, I see what you mean. I'm warming to him, too.
    She's no slouch either - two of her children are older than her husband.

http://gw.geneanet.org/wikifrat?lang=fr&p=brigitte&n=trogneux
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Well, that's kind of not true. We've had two polls on the matter within the week (I've just posted the other poll) and they've shown two different results. So the jury is out as far as public opinion goes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

I always thought it was part of the job description. Have any French leaders not had a mistress ?
    Maybe, I don't know. I've made one bet on this - £30 on Macron at 16/1 - Bet 365 currently offering me £204 on cash out. If Macron goes odds on I might chicken out.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Internet killed culture. It's just to easy to drag up a perfect copy of some ancient movie,song, book. The innovation that flowed from half remembered stories is gone. And it's is cheaper to fill time and attention with old stuff.

The solution is to stop using the internet for a while.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Well, that's kind of not true. We've had two polls on the matter within the week (I've just posted the other poll) and they've shown two different results. So the jury is out as far as public opinion goes.
    How well established are SkyPolls? Are they members of BPC?
  • Options

I have a negative view of him but I do not have a negative view on the US and I suspect that view is probably the reason for the 49 - 36 favouring the State visit.

Unsurprising that Sky are not referring to this poll - if it was reversed they would be discussing it every half hour. You do wonder when the MSM will realise their World view has evaporated
    Interestingly on Sky, their poll found the exact opposite of the YouGov findings. That's why I'd caution PBers from reading too much into the YouGov poll. If other polls come up and support the YG findings, fair enough. But as I said in a previous post, we essentially have two polls done on the matter with two different findings.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

GITS

SeanT using git based invective.

Everything ok, hun?

(I agree btw, I just would use a stronger word than git).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Nailed on then.....

NICOLA Sturgeon will have “no choice” but to call a second independence referendum if the UK government rejects a bespoke Scottish deal on Europe, her Brexit minister has warned

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/15061056.Warning_that_Sturgeon_will_have__quot_no_choice_quot__but_to_call_Indyref2/#comments-anchor

Edit - mind you, this was fro the man that gave us that unqualified success called 'Scottish Education'......

Getting closer to you being shown up I see, despite all your blustering and shouting of "coward", " will never happen " etc etc it indeeds looks like it will happen. Certainly only a fool would bet against now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

They're well established enough to get posted on this site. The links were posted a few days ago and no one complained.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

This isn't the first polling on the matter. Sky polled on this issue a few days ago and found the reverse. http://news.sky.com/story/34-of-britons-would-back-trump-style-ban-in-uk-sky-poll-10749195

Meanwhile, half of Britons support cancelling President Trump's proposed state visit after a petition to do so garnered more than a million signatures.

Some 49% support such a move, while 38% oppose withdrawing their invitation to Mr Trump.

Is a "Sky Data Snap Poll" as reliable as a poll by a firm like YouGov?
  • Options

Re Trump and and public opinion on him (in regard to The Times comments). Most of the polling done on him has generally shown that most Brits have a negative view of him, so it's not really spin or inaccurate to suggest otherwise.

It is to suggest that it is from this poll, or that there is widespread disapproval of his policies when you've only polled one.

As to the reason why Brits think the visit should go ahead - they simply made it up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

Or he's some sicko deviant into all kinds of mega-perv bizarro sex

Yes, I see what you mean. I'm warming to him, too.
    A young woman sent him erotic photos of herself once. He had her arrested for sexual harassment.

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/02/25/emmanuel-macron-harcele-par-une-etudiante-en-droit,1291859.php
  • Options

On topic, from The Times report, my emphasis added

A YouGov poll for The Times found that despite widespread disapproval of the president and his policies , 49 per cent of voters think that the visit should go ahead because Britain has to deal with the elected leader of the US.

The 49-36 split probably isn't that far off the standard human arse licker v. awkward squad split.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This isn't the first polling on the matter. Sky polled on this issue a few days ago and found the reverse. http://news.sky.com/story/34-of-britons-would-back-trump-style-ban-in-uk-sky-poll-10749195

Meanwhile, half of Britons support cancelling President Trump's proposed state visit after a petition to do so garnered more than a million signatures.

Some 49% support such a move, while 38% oppose withdrawing their invitation to Mr Trump.

Harry Carr says yes.

He worked for Ipsos Mori, he also said their polls aren't usually out of line with the findings from more established pollsters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Nailed on then.....

NICOLA Sturgeon will have “no choice” but to call a second independence referendum if the UK government rejects a bespoke Scottish deal on Europe, her Brexit minister has warned

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/15061056.Warning_that_Sturgeon_will_have__quot_no_choice_quot__but_to_call_Indyref2/#comments-anchor

Edit - mind you, this was fro the man that gave us that unqualified success called 'Scottish Education'......

She would always have had no choice, even if Brexit weren't happening, some reason would be found at some stage. I dont even disagree that they have a right to do so, but the pretence their hand is being forced is so wearying.

Edit - on the other key story, nothing wrong with new tales on a character, it is a question of if race or gender is truly an integral part of the core of that character. It would be hard for black panther to not be played by a black actor after all. For the doctor, the most important thing is despite being an alien and capable of transformations, he/she must always be inexplicably British.
    But it's all pretense. Sturgeon DOESN'T want to call a vote, not unless she's very sure of winning. A 2nd defeat would be catastrophic for the SNP and would probably split the party, as well as ending indy for a generation. The polls just aren't good enough for her now,. And only 27% of Scots want a vote before Brexit is finished (which is the most sensible position, how can you vote on staying in the U.K. If you don't know what the U.K. will look like in a year)

So this is all posturing. They're trying to goad TMay into forbidding a vote, so they can stoke the grievance fires.

Then they'd go for a vote right after Brexit. Early 2020 is my guess.
    Will definitely be before that, as soon as they confirm that Scotland is getting stiffed and only London opinion counts it will finish it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

They're well established enough to get posted on this site. The links were posted a few days ago and no one complained.
    I would be surprised if yougov were not nearer the Country's mood
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Copeland and Stoke will give an indication of whether May or Corbyn is more in touch with the mood on this
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is this the same YG whose reliability has been questioned and made fun of by PB literally months after the UK GE? The link says that the sample was representative and weighed. If it was some type of vodo poll, I doubt it would have even been posted on this site. Indeed, given Sky Data polls have been posted on this site before, it's rather curious that only now its findings are being debated....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT to write a SciFI novel about a right wing xenophobe travelling through space and time with barely concealed contempt for other worlds, but enjoying the wine.

And the sexbots.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

On topic, from The Times report, my emphasis added

A YouGov poll for The Times found that despite widespread disapproval of the president and his policies , 49 per cent of voters think that the visit should go ahead because Britain has to deal with the elected leader of the US.

The 49-36 split probably isn't that far off the standard human arse licker v. awkward squad split.
    All those deplorables again.

But probably a fair number of those who signed the anti-Trump petition actually want him to come so they do more protesting. Might explain the difference between the petition and the YouGov finding.
  • Options

SeanT said:

GITS

Everything ok, hun?

He is a bit of a wimp though
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

SeanT said:

GITS

Everything ok, hun?

Perhaps a hollywood or tv deal has fallen through? I'm guessing if we were all talking about series 5 of the Ice Twins that would be permissible.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Copeland and Stoke will give an indication of whether May or Corbyn is more in touch with the mood on this
    I doubt voters in Copeland or Stoke will be seriously voting on this issue.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nailed on then.....

Certainly only a fool would bet against now.
    So how much have you bet?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

AndyJS said:

Is this the same YG whose reliability has been questioned and made fun of by PB literally months after the UK GE? The link says that the sample was representative and weighed. If it was some type of vodo poll, I doubt it would have even been posted on this site. Indeed, given Sky Data polls have been posted on this site before, it's rather curious that only now its findings are being debated....
    They were out by a few percentage points at the general election, not 13.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    SeanT said:

GITS

I saw your book being sold at Schonefeld's bookstore last week. Front of store, big display, but slightly behind and not as prominent as Rowling's new franchise instalment. Familiarity sells....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They still got criticised on this site though....
  • Options

Northern Ireland assembly poll by LucidTalk

Arlene Foster is rated the lowest of any political leader in Northern Ireland as voters turn their back on DUP, poll reveals

The poll, by LucidTalk, also show Sinn Fein and its new Northern Ireland leader Michelle O’Neill riding high

https://www.thesun.ie/news/513568/arlene-foster-is-rated-the-lowest-of-any-political-leader-in-northern-ireland-as-voters-turn-their-back-on-dup-poll-reveals/

Poll has DUP down but still likely to come first, UUP and Alliance as well as SF also on the rise
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

If they are meant to be so angry about it they should be, if not and there is a swing to the Tories and they gain Copeland with backing for May and Brexit confirms the public mood
  • Options

I can add "gender of Doctor Who" to the ever-lengthening list of hot topics that I haven't the slightest interest in developing a position on either way.

I gave up with Dr Who when Tom Baker ceased to be our time lord.

+1
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles - what did you think of Klopp's behaviour last night?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Iain Martin:

Buy Le Pen. Sell EU.

Maybe, I don't know. I've made one bet on this - £30 on Macron at 16/1 - Bet 365 currently offering me £204 on cash out. If Macron goes odds on I might chicken out.
    Your position is worth about £214 at the moment.
  • Options
    On Trump's visit: a lot of us think he should just have an official visit as opposed to a state one. If he wants a state visit he should have to wait a while just like previous US Presidents. I don't think that position is too extreme....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Divvie,

I suspect the split is between the not too bothered and the delicate me-me flowers.

I've often wondered why actors, who are good at pretending to be somebody else, think they are philosophers of note.
  • Options
    The two questions:

Would you support or oppose cancelling Mr Trump's proposed state visit to the UK?

and

Donald Trump has been invited to make an official State Visit to Britain later this year, do you think this should go ahead or should it be cancelled?

For my money I think the second one is marginally clearer, as the first could be misread as 'support visit' rather than 'support cancelling visit'
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They still got criticised on this site though....
    Mainly because they were repeatedly polling a relatively small cohort of voters with no guarantee that they were representative of the UK as a whole..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited February 2017
    Mr. Matt, I've said before, in truthful jest, that I could write a bestseller if I called it Lord of the Thrones and changed my name to George RR Tolkien.

Very difficult to make a breakthrough though, alas. Incidentally, just a fortnight until my next book, Journeys (anthology, also features stories by a number of award-winning/nominated authors).

Edited extra bit: link, for those who pre-order: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeys-John-Gwynne-ebook/dp/B01MUCON9Q/
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Perhaps Ed Milliband should be the next Dr. Who.

Knowing his luck, he'd regenerate into David Miliband.....

Or Jeremy Corbyn.
    :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

If they are meant to be so angry about it they should be, if not and there is a swing to the Tories and they gain Copeland with backing for May and Brexit confirms the public mood
    Who implied that anyone is angry about this? I don't think Trump should have a State visit, but I'm hardly angry about it. This certainly wouldn't be an issue that I'd vote on in a election either. So I don't think Copeland and Stoke can be read into re Trump. What those by-elections really will tell us is what the electorate think of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited February 2017
    tlg86 said:

Absolute non story, Klopp kept calm despite some shocking decisions.

The fourth official praised Klopp's passion in that episode.

I did feel sorry for the fourth official last night, he had the two most passionate and demonstrative managers in the league to deal with.

Conte, who I also like, kicked the ball in disgust, when Chelsea repeatedly misplaced their passes, then got a few words from Mark Clattenburg, then spent the next few mins apologising to the fourth official, Klopp, and anyone else within 20 yards of him.
  • Options
    Ruthy D. going all apocalyptical about a 'fratricidal' Indy ref II.

https://twitter.com/_DanParis/status/826490700283904000

Thankfully one area of fratricidal uncertainty has been settled.

https://twitter.com/thoughtland/status/826698839436451840
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited February 2017
    Excellent manufacturing PMIs out this morning - in most places they're at a five or six year high.
    Netherlands     56.5
    Germany 56.4
    UK 55.9
    Spain 55.6
    Ireland 55.5
    France 53.6
    Italy 53.0
    Even 53 is a reasonable number, pointing to c. 1.5% GDP growth, with the numbers for us, the Dutch, the Germans and the Spanish all looking more like 3%.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

An earlier entry to this debate. Another option would be to kill a James Bond off and then discover the name is actually an honourific title attached to an office. That of 007.

https://goo.gl/images/fz6Cz7

The 00 prefix is a licence to kill - one assumes that as one 00 agent is liquidated another will be recruited to replace him/ her with the same moniker.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Almost the exact reverse of the Yougov poll. I must that this poll seems far more likely than the Yougov one
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options

The two questions:

Would you support or oppose cancelling Mr Trump's proposed state visit to the UK?

and

Donald Trump has been invited to make an official State Visit to Britain later this year, do you think this should go ahead or should it be cancelled?

For my money I think the second one is marginally clearer, as the first could be misread as 'support visit' rather than 'support cancelling visit'

Agreed.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Jonathan said:

Klingons?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    dr_spyn said:
    Either they think it's in the bag. Or they know it's already gone.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    On topic: Amber Rudd has said loudly, clearly and officially that the travel ban EO is divisive, wrong and opposed by the government, which is 10 times more forceful than the impromptu condemnation people thought she should have issued the minute she stepped off the plane from Turkey. So I don't think the point in the final para of the threader is much of a point.
  • Options

The Morning Joe video I linked to confirms this in spades. Joe is a liberal GOPer on MSNBC
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Mr. Matt, I've said before, in truthful jest, that I could write a bestseller if I called it Lord of the Thrones and changed my name to George RR Tolkien.

Very difficult to make a breakthrough though, alas. Incidentally, just a fortnight until my next book, Journeys (anthology, also features stories by a number of award-winning/nominated authors).

Edited extra bit: link, for those who pre-order: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeys-John-Gwynne-ebook/dp/B01MUCON9Q/

If it's any consolation, it took years for Lord of the Rings and A Game of Thrones to become really popular. Sales of LOTR only took off after 1966, and probably 90% of Martin's sales were post 2010 (the first book was published in 1996). One of Martin's novels, the Armageddon Rag, sold so badly that he thought his career as a novelist was over.
  • Options
    I never really got into LOTR. I prefer Harry Potter....

• Options
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Nailed on then.....

She would always have had no choice, even if Brexit weren't happening, some reason would be found at some stage. I dont even disagree that they have a right to do so, but the pretence their hand is being forced is so wearying.

Edit - on the other key story, nothing wrong with new tales on a character, it is a question of if race or gender is truly an integral part of the core of that character. It would be hard for black panther to not be played by a black actor after all. For the doctor, the most important thing is despite being an alien and capable of transformations, he/she must always be inexplicably British.
    But it's all pretense. Sturgeon DOESN'T want to call a vote, not unless she's very sure of winning. A 2nd defeat would be catastrophic for the SNP and would probably split the party, as well as ending indy for a generation. The polls just aren't good enough for her now,. And only 27% of Scots want a vote before Brexit is finished (which is the most sensible position, how can you vote on staying in the U.K. If you don't know what the U.K. will look like in a year)

So this is all posturing. They're trying to goad TMay into forbidding a vote, so they can stoke the grievance fires.

Will definitely be before that, as soon as they confirm that Scotland is getting stiffed and only London opinion counts it will finish it.
    I don't suppose you know if ANY Scottish MPs are voting for article 50? I know the Labour MP isn't and I imagine all the Nats aren't which would make it unanimous in Scotland. Hard to see how another Independance referendum can be avoided. The appearance of the old Tory fossils like Rees Mogg and Redwood trumpeting the greatness of this day must be a pretty ugly sight to those who see Scotland as a progressive European country.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2017
    How did Don's reality TV show from the White House go last night? :smiley:
  • Options
    Mr. F, I remember reading on his blog that around 1996, maybe earlier, he had a book signing in Germany. Over several hours, three people (give or take) turned up.

Obviously I'd like obnoxious, SeanT levels of success (or better, of course), but I'd settle for much less. Anyway, plans afoot. Going to try a serial, later this year, and focusing on more shorts in the meantime as both income and advertising. Got a few novels ready (hoping for 4 to be released, either myself or via publisher, this year and next).

And I did get a very good review today (PB Tories may be pleased to know Karena got compared to the Iron Lady): http://trickstereric.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/answering-review-request-kingdom-asunder.html
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Nailed on then.....

I don't suppose you know if ANY Scottish MPs are voting for article 50? I know the Labour MP isn't and I imagine all the Nats aren't which would make it unanimous in Scotland. Hard to see how another Independance referendum can be avoided. The appearance of the old Tory fossils lie Rees Mogg and Redwood must be a pretty ugly sight to those who see Scotland as a progressive European country.
    Mundell will vote for it surely?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

A quibble. Headline has support/oppose visit, text has should/should not go ahead. They are not the same! I think inviting him was a hasty hostage to fortune, an unforced error. However, the visit should go ahead as far worse have been accorded the honour, and cancelling would have severe consequences. Therefore, I oppose the visit, but think it should go ahead. Accordingly I signed neither petition, but support anyone who signed either. Another gripe is the increasing use of "mainstream" to mean "majority".

The anti-state visit petition explicitly endorses a non state visit.

It does rather beg the question of who should make such an invitation. Head of State or Head of Government?

For example if PM Corbyn invited the head of Hamas on a State visit, should tbe Queen comply?

Yep - an official visit is no problem at all. In fact, you'd expect it. A state visit invitation just a week after taking office - an honour accorded to no previous US president - demeans the UK. But once proffered, it is hard to withdraw (even if it should be). That's why it should never have been offered in the first place.

If not this year it would have to have been offered by the middle of 2019 given Obama and George W Bush both had State Visits by the end of their first term

The end of a first term is not the same as the end of the first week. The only reason that Trump is getting a state visit so early is because the government is desperate to win his approval and does not believe that it will get it unless he is given the full royal treatment. It demeans us.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    GIN1138 said:

How did Don't reality TV show from the White House go last night? :smiley:

As finals for the apprentice go it was a rubbish. No final challenge and no use of his famous catchphrase "your're hired".
  • Options
    Rofl my greening up on Juppe has come back from the dead.

Alain Juppe 240 £2.00 £478.00
    Ref: Matched: 19:31 27-Nov-16
    Alain Juppe280 £2.00 £558.00
    Ref: Matched: 19:44 27-Nov-16
  • Options
    An interesting question to ask people would be: do you support extreme vetting for people from what are commonly regarded as "failed states"? Because most of the countries on Trump's list are in that category. Somalia, for instance, hasn't had a functioning government since 1991.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Mr. F, I remember reading on his blog that around 1996, maybe earlier, he had a book signing in Germany. Over several hours, three people (give or take) turned up.

Obviously I'd like obnoxious, SeanT levels of success (or better, of course), but I'd settle for much less. Anyway, plans afoot. Going to try a serial, later this year, and focusing on more shorts in the meantime as both income and advertising. Got a few novels ready (hoping for 4 to be released, either myself or via publisher, this year and next).

And I did get a very good review today (PB Tories may be pleased to know Karena got compared to the Iron Lady): http://trickstereric.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/answering-review-request-kingdom-asunder.html

He'd built a good reputation as a writer of Sci-Fi and horror short stories, and was then paid a massive advance for The Armageddon Rag in 1984, which got decent reviews, but was a commercial disaster. After that, no publisher wanted to hear from him, for a long time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Excellent manufacturing PMIs out this morning - in most places they're at a five or six year high.

Netherlands     56.5
    Germany 56.4
    UK 55.9
    Spain 55.6
    Ireland 55.5
    France 53.6
    Italy 53.0
    Even 53 is a reasonable number, pointing to c. 1.5% GDP growth, with the numbers for us, the Dutch, the Germans and the Spanish all looking more like 3%.
    Reminds me of the Tony Scott ad for VW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgHlAdSpn7Y
  • Options
    Just laid Juppe at 19.0 - Seriously :p ?
  • Options

Trump Visit - Remainia vs Leavistan:

Net go ahead:
    OA: +13
    Leave: +46
    Remain: -19
    VI
    Con: +61
    Lab: -36
    LibD: -27
    UKIP: +67

All regions (including London) were net positive, except for Scotland, marginally negative (-2)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/orzji7t2u3/TimesResults_170131_Trump_2_W.pdf

See above......
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I did feel sorry for the fourth official last night, he had the two most passionate and demonstrative managers in the league to deal with.

Conte, who I also like, kicked the ball in disgust, when Chelsea repeatedly misplaced their passes, then got a few words from Mark Clattenburg, then spent the next few mins apologising to the fourth official, Klopp, and anyone else within 20 yards of him.
    You should have seen some of John Moss's decisions in the Burnley match. It doesn't excuse Wenger's behaviour. So Klopp and Conte act like brats all of the time, that gives them a free pass?
  • Options

@david_herdson. Fair and arguable points David. Yet curiously FPTP negates popular soveriegnty to the extent it never in practice leads to governments having won a majority of the vote. The Conservatives can govern on 37% of the vote opposed to 63% for varying opponents. But can't remain on a 48.1% to 51.9% split. And of course FPTP was overwhelmingly upheld by popular soveriegnty in a referendum only recently ! It all seems quite fluid at the moment.

Perhaps the fact that FPTP (combined with our party system) produces governments elected on 35-42% of the vote is one of the reasons why governments feel obliged to refer major decisions to the electorate?

(Not that PR would necessarily be any better: apart from the internal divisions within the coalition that act as a prompt to use referendums as a device to break deadlocks, few will have voted for a government of the nature that resulted rather than for the individual parties that comprise it).
  • Options

YouGov, notably do not make the claims that the Times did in their write up.....
  • Options
    19 arrested in Germany over links to ISIS.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Netherlands     56.5
    Germany 56.4
    UK 55.9
    Spain 55.6
    Ireland 55.5
    France 53.6
    Italy 53.0
    We've chosen just the right time to Brexit, as the world economy booms, in the general post-Trump euphoria.

Yep - making it more expensive and time consuming to do business in markets that are performing very strongly is a marvellous idea.
  • Options
    Percentage of PB Trumpers disappointed that the UK public doesn't support a ban on Syrian refugees, a temporary ban on all refugees and a temporary ban on immigration from some Muslim countries?

101%
  • Options
    Mr. F, interesting, was unaware of that backstory. Short stories are odd beasts to write. Working on one now (finally think I'm making headway with an idea).

If sales are low (of your own stuff) they're more sensible financially than writing novels. Spot of advertising too. And brief exclusivity means they can be recycled for a solo anthology later (which is another long term idea I have).
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Sean_F said:

He'd built a good reputation as a writer of Sci-Fi and horror short stories, and was then paid a massive advance for The Armageddon Rag in 1984, which got decent reviews, but was a commercial disaster. After that, no publisher wanted to hear from him, for a long time.
    That's what happens when you pay top-ten bestseller money to a mid-list author.

It explains why I'm sitting in a dingy office in the North Kent marshes rather than jetting between my London pad and exotic places and juggling 6+ girlfriends!

*Sighs*
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited February 2017
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You should have seen some of John Moss's decisions in the Burnley match. It doesn't excuse Wenger's behaviour. So Klopp and Conte act like brats all of the time, that gives them a free pass?
    They aren't stupid enough to place their hands on an official.

The fourth official said he liked Klopp's passion.
  • Options
    Surprising that as many as 1 in 6 Labour and LD voters would support Trump's policy.
This discussion has been closed.